Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brand name firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
otomik
If 30 years from now every (western) soldier is effectively protected against anything up to 9mmP FMJs, or possibly much more than that, then something has to be done about the way we think of handguns and SMGs or they'll soon be faced with obsolescence in all militaries.

doubt it, when is the last time two western militaries faced off against one another? as long as the pistol cartridge people are using works against the average grunts of the third world militaries it will not be obsolete. the CRISAT redteam bodyarmor standard that we're working against is kind of obsolete in my opinion.

(NATO CRISAT Target: 1.6mm of titanium and 20 layers of Kevlar at 50 meters)
this is a NATO standard thats supposed to represent the body armor capabilities of our enemies which might have made sense in the cold war but as far as i'm concerned they should unofficially revise it to a thick turban "helmet" and 10 layers of islamic cleric's robes.

thats just what is seems like to me, do the Chinese PLA issue body armor? North Korea? Iran? as much as other european and other western nations piss america off i seriously doubt there will not be a war between our countries.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
when is the last time two western militaries faced off against one another?

1945? Just as long ago as the last time a western army fought Russia. The last time a western military fought China was, what, 1953? I can't think of a time that westeners have fought Iran, and it seems extremely unlikely that you will. Same for North Korea -- if you want to prepare for a fight against them, you'll just need to get your missile protection systems into gear.

Yes, many of the possible future OpFors of western militaries don't have much in the way of personal armor, nor will they have very soon. But the ones you mentioned are the most likely ones to soon have body armor, once the current technology starts to become old and they can start buying full suits of soft body armor from criminals in South America.

You can currently see armored vests on soldiers and policemen in large parts of Africa, the Caribbean, South America and Asia. Obviously it cannot be too expensive or hard to get just about anywhere in the world. Any possible threat country, if it can expect a war some time in advance, could easily equip a sizeable part of its army with body armor. Once the kind of full protection I discussed has become as commonplace in the West as armored vests are now, they'll start popping up all over the world as well.

And there are special requirements. A small group of terrorists, special operatives, or a similar strike force is more effective to equip with body armor. Armies don't have to deal with criminals, but the police do, and I'm pretty sure the boys in blue wouldn't mind a handgun that can both penetrate soft body armor and create a wound cavity a bit more significant than a 5.7x28 or the .224 BOZ. If they can design such weapons, special operations units might as well adopt them.
otomik
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ May 24 2004, 02:07 PM)
I'm pretty sure the boys in blue wouldn't mind a handgun that can both penetrate soft body armor and create a wound cavity a bit more significant than a 5.7x28 or the .224 BOZ. If they can design such weapons, special operations units might as well adopt them.

the FN FiveseveN has been available to US Police forces for a while now and i know of no police force that has adopted it standard issue, maybe a few swat units have one or two as a prestidge thing pistols aren't too important for swat units.
tactical forums
Other than being able to perforate soft body armor, the 5.7x28mm used in the FN P90, as well as the 4.6x30mm fired from the HK MP7 cause wounds less incapacitating than those made by 9mm FMJ fired from a pistol.

if it can't even meet the 9mm FMJ standard subcalibres will remain a european fantasy. pay attention to FNs name for 5.7x28mm, it's SS190 (similar to the NATO standard SS109 5.56x45mm, trying to imply that this will be the next NATO standard pistol cartridge by giving it a name meant to be confused with an existing standard).

maybe the problem is that a lot of these necked down penetrating cartridges are designed by recoil sensitive europeans. the HK PDW doesn't make sense in that it has a powerful miniturized G36 gas-operated action yet fires a underpowered cartridge that could just as easily be used in a blow-back design.

these are the PDW cartridges i've heard about:
5.7x28mm (Fabrique Nationale)
4.6x30mm (Heckler & Koch)
.22 Colt SCAMP
6.5x25mm CBJ (Saab-Bofors) 9x19mm necked down, only needs a barrel conversion
.224BOZ (Civil Defence Supply)
.224VOB/5.56x23.5mm (Tuma MTE) 7.62x25mm Tokarev necked
7.82Sx24 (Leitner-Wise)
9x30 Russian GROM (for the Gepard SMG/PDW)
they all pretty much suck except for the GROM (perhaps Leitner-Wise) but it's a much more conventional cartridge, the russians have so many great designs like the GROM and AN-94 that they can't really make in scale because of their economy. the one made by Leitner-Wise is a 10mm necked down AND using a saboted 5.56mm bullet, allowing the possibility to quickly change to a larger 30cal projectile (similar to the versatility you were talking about).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
if it can't even meet the 9mm FMJ standard subcalibres will remain a european fantasy.

Hey, don't start with me, I've never fired anything smaller than 7.62. I am absolutely not infatuated by small calibers. I am very much aware of the problems of such extremely small projectiles, and that is why I'm looking for a possibility of firing effective AP ammunition out of a gun that can just as well fire something larger against unarmored targets.

I found a site claiming the 9x30 "High Impulse Armor Piercing" ammo to penetrate level IV armor at 450 meters. On the other hand, the same table claims that 9mmP rounds can penetrate level IV armor at 70 meters, so apparently they are talking about something completely different or are totally clueless.

If you can get a 10x25, .40S&W or .45ACP pistol to reliably penetrate NIJ level III armor at at least 50 meters and remain lethal through it, it doesn't have to be a SLAP just because that's what I originally asked about. However, all that I've read about the penetration performance of Russian pistols and SMGs is generally either BS or not that impressive. And the only large caliber armor piercing rounds that I'm aware of are Russian (they seem to like the number 9...). So until I can get some data on them that I know I can trust, I'm a bit sceptical.
Shadow
@ Snow Fox,

You m'lady, have my undying respect.

@ Raygun, Austere, and Otomik,

reading you guys talk is like listening to three astro physicist. You have no idea what they are saying, but your sure they are absolute geniuses. You guys should write a book.

"Theoretical firearms and there applications in fictional worlds"

I would buy it.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
How about a Brown Bess firing at about 90 grains?

Well, being a black powder musket, that would depend on your powder charge. I have no idea. But you would have to be a pretty creative cat to make a somewhat stable-flying, 90 grain .75" projectile. Not a whole lot of point. Buy a 9mm pistol and you'll be doing better.

Actually 90 grains, in a powder measure is the standard load for the bess. A bigger load can go up to 120 grains but no more.

As for stable? Have you spend a lot of time on smooth bore? Stable is not a word to be used. We're talking pretty much broad side of a barn.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (otomik)
[QUOTE]anglo-gun-ophile
to bad the english don't make pistols anymore, do you make up for it by boiling your Beretta in hot water for cleaning then oiling it with worchestershire sauce? " it justs makes everything taste so…English" silly.gif

That's why I have the Webley, for style.
The Beretta's for emergencies.

As for being an anglo-phile, I'm just not addicted to German gunsd the way a lot of people are, and lets be honest, French guns like the St. Etienne, '93 Lebel and Chau-chat were infamous for being screw ups.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Shadow)
@ Snow Fox,

You m'lady, have my undying respect.

notworthy.gif

Thank you, though I'm not sure for what.
mcb
You can go more than 120 grain in a Bess and probably not blow it up but it won’t do you much good. The black powder burns to slow and you would not get much more velocity out of it. You would just get a lot more muzzle flash as the remaining unburnt powder flashed in the air ahead of the muzzle.

The muskets inaccuracy had more to due with the way they were loaded and what they were loaded with than purely because they were a smooth bore. Lose fitting patch and ball (not very round lead balls at that and often without a patch) were not very accurate. If you load them with tight fitting lubricated patches and very uniform round lead balls you can achieve decent accuracies out to 100 yds or so, enough to hit a man size target more often than not.

Modern smooth bore guns can be fairly accurate. Foster slugs and some of the stabilized slugs for modern smoothbore shotguns do remarkably well out to 100-125 yds. They're still not a rifled shotgun barrels or a rifle but I would not want someone shooting at me with them. I personally manage 2 inch, five shot groups at 50yds with my 410 shotgun shooting foster slugs through a smooth bore. With 12 gage I usually manage about 4-5 inch groups with foster slugs but that is as much me as the gun. 3 inch slugs in a pump gun have to be some of the most unpleasant recoil I have encountered. Managing to shoot 5 rounds for groups over sand bags is very uncomfortable to say the least. I would much rather shoot a 416 Rigby bolt action than 3 inch slugs in a pump shotgun.

Aimless Ramblings
mcb
otomik
Thinking of picking up a CZ52 now. J&G and SOG have them in "very good plus" condition for $99 with a mag, holster and cleaning rod. J&G also has 416 rounds of Bulgarian FMJ for $55. Would be fun to play with, anyway.

And otomik, I thought you might find this interesting if you haven't heard about it already... SOG has an Egyptian-made Beretta 1951 copy (licensed!) for $159.
hmm, think i'll have to get both (both have matching grip designs cool.gif ).
http://www.southernohiogun.com/new_hand.html
http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_hand.html

Beretta 951, adopted by Israel and later by their enemy Egypt. thats one hell of a complement. Might even be more than just a plinker if I find it works with more than FMJ such as Federal EFMJ or Corbon Powerball.

416 rounds of Bulgarian FMJ? i bet your mailman hates you.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (mcb @ May 25 2004, 04:38 PM)
You can go more than 120 grain in a Bess and probably not blow it up but it won’t do you much good... 
The muskets inaccuracy had more to due with the way they were loaded and what they were loaded with than purely because they were a smooth bore.  Lose fitting patch and ball (not very round lead balls at that and often without a patch) were not very accurate.  If you load them with tight fitting lubricated patches and very uniform round lead balls you can achieve decent accuracies out to 100 yds or so, enough to hit a man size target more often than not.

Right, that's why I put the upper limit at 120 grains, not a fear of blowingo ut the gun but because you gain nothing extra.

As for the tight bullets/patches, if you take the time to load them sure, but that tight fit makes them slower to learn. most competitions I've seen have a time element and this is with flint locks, not precussion caps. So most trouble is taken napping the flints and, if it's humid, wiping down the frizzen.

Historically you didn't get accurate fire until the Baker Rifle circa 1802. At Saratoga there was a British rgt that fired a volley, and missed with every shot.
otomik
In order to get any kind of decent supersonic load out of something like that, the action would probably have to be lengthed beyond the point that would allow a through-grip magazine. At least one that was comfortable enough for the average human being to use.

this is interesting lets follow up on that
10mm and .45ACP and .38 Super all have an OAL (OverAll Length) of 1.25-1.30''
there are longer cartridges that have been put in autopistol grip magazines such as .357Mag, .44Mag, .50AE (all 1.6'' OAL) in desert eagles and coonans, they are uncomfortable and nobody has dared trying to make them double stack. everyone i've heard from will also admit that the FiveSeven pistol is uncomfortable around the grip, it's a long slim cartridge with long spitzer type bullet on top (again a 1.6'' OAL) but it works as a double stack because it has a slim .30 case width.

i think what people should try now is making a PDW cartridge based on a fatter cartridge case 10mm or 45ACP and make it a single stack mag. the .224BOZ might be close to this but i doubt it has near the energy of the 10mm it's based on because 1) the case was shortened 2mm from 25mm to 23mm (probably to enable it to accept that long spitzer bullet and 2) case capacity decreases from the necking down. they mention velocities from 1750-2200fps and 50gr. bullets being really generous and assuming that the 2200fps is from the 50gr. that's still only 537foot-pounds.

here's what i'd like to see:
.227 Dumpshock [5.56x25mm]
a 10mm case necked down to 5.56mm
it's a long spitzer bullet with an armor piercing tip. it measures a surprisingly light 42gr. because the first 1/3 of the bullet is an armor piercing tip and lead yet the back 2/3rds are aluminum with a hollow cavity of air (similar to the 5.45x39mm Soviet) that bullet exits the muzzle at around 2700fps producing 679 foot pounds of energy (similar to the hot loaded CZ52). when it hits the body it should not only be unstable and tumble quiet a bit like the 5.7x28mm is supposed to (longer bullet than the 5-7 means it will produce better wounds during said tumbling) but it might even fragment during the stress of that tumbling due to it's relatively weak aluminum/air-cavity construction.
Damage: 9M (halve armor effects)
Range: Heavy Pistol

another spin off cartridge from this would be
.300 Dumpshock
a .45ACP cartridge necked to .30
it sends 85gr. bullets at 1800fps and gives the operator the option of switching to slow and heavy 230gr. bullets for silenced operations with merely a barrel change (you'll need a threaded barrel anyway). basically just like a CZ52 but more powerful and versatile
Damage: 9M
Range: Heavy Pistol
mcb
The problem with necking down a cartridge to push a smaller bullet at higher velocities is that you have to do one of two things and sometime both of them. 1) The light bullet will require faster burning powders. This requirement is made worst by firing it in a short-barreled pistol. Pistol powder are already pretty high up there on the scale so getting a fast enough powder may be tricky 2) You may also have to raise chamber pressure to get the desired velocity. Again the desire to fire that cartridge in a pistol makes this more necessary. In this case you will probably have to do both to achieve the desired velocity.

Increasing chamber pressure will require a beefier action to handle the higher pressure. Also remember that short fat necked down cartridges are prone to feeding problems. Read a few articles on the new WSSM (Winchester Super Short Magnums) and they're only feeding those in bolt action for the most part. A 10mm necked down to 22 cal is going to give you feed problem in a standard semi-auto pistol action.

mcb
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mcb)
Pistol powder are already pretty high up there on the scale so getting a fast enough powder may be tricky

Fortunately we've got 60 years to wait. wink.gif That helps with making a lighter action capable of handling higher pressures.

I still feel my idea of getting the "best of both worlds" without more than a change of magazines would be workable, upgraded to a 10mm caseless round with an overall length of ~36mm and a diameter of ~13mm. Amount of powder to propel a long projectile in a sabot should no longer be a problem if the sabot can be designed to be fully wide only in a short section. Combined with the volume increase you can get from making the cartridge a rectangular prism instead of a cylinder, that should do it.

Not that I have anything against otomik's designs. The Damage Codes of course break down if you start comparing Heavy Pistols and Assault Rifles, so I won't. smile.gif
otomik
QUOTE (mcb @ May 26 2004, 06:52 PM)
The problem with necking down a cartridge to push a smaller bullet at higher velocities is that you have to do one of two things and sometime both of them.  1) The light bullet will require faster burning powders.  This requirement is made worst by firing it in a short-barreled pistol. Pistol powder are already pretty high up there on the scale so getting a fast enough powder may be tricky  2) You may also have to raise chamber pressure to get the desired velocity.  Again the desire to fire that cartridge in a pistol makes this more necessary.  In this case you will probably have to do both to achieve the desired velocity.

Increasing chamber pressure will require a beefier action to handle the higher pressure.  Also remember that short fat necked down cartridges are prone to feeding problems.  Read a few articles on the new WSSM (Winchester Super Short Magnums) and they're only feeding those in bolt action for the most part.  A 10mm necked down to 22 cal is going to give you feed problem in a standard semi-auto pistol action.

mcb

Alliant Power Pistol is one of those better faster burning lower pressure making powders that has made new loads possible in recent years. The 10mm and .45ACP have relatively generous case capacity which makes them so versatile, i'd have to do some math to figure it out for sure but i'm pretty sure there's no dangerous pressures involved with what i described.
here's some craziness with Alliant Power Pistol
http://www.geocities.com/mousemag32/mg21.htm

it's kind of a matter of opinion about the feed problems and i don't know much about WSSM because they always seemed rediculous to me. 10mm necked to 5.56mm isn't much different from the 9mm to 5.56mm you see on the .223 Remington and it feeds fine as far as i'm aware. .45 to .30 isn't that much of a stretch either, you can see that kind of neck on both .308 and .30-06.
i don't know if these are really comparible to WSSM because i don't know WSSM cartridge dimensions.

austere, you may have found another positive to caseless design i usually don't give caseless much thought because it doesn't seem worth overcoming all the engineering problems associated with it and it just seems bizarre. do caseless weapons need ejection ports, if not what do you do after you just chambered a dud round?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
i usually don't give caseless much thought because it doesn't seem worth overcoming all the engineering problems associated with it and it just seems bizarre. do caseless weapons need ejection ports, if not what do you do after you just chambered a dud round?

In this particular case, the weapon could work almost identically to a cased design. The cartridge might even have a hard metal (or polymer/plastic by the 2060s) base, which is ejected as normal, to allow the feed and ejection to happen just as it would with cased cartridges.
Arethusa
QUOTE (otomik)
do caseless weapons need ejection ports, if not what do you do after you just chambered a dud round?

Most caseless designs up to now (though admittedly there have not been many) include a provision for an ejection port in case of a malfunction or just a desire to empty the weapon. The G11 had one, for example, though it was never used during the course of normal firing.
mcb
http://my.stratos.net/~thedump/odds/227DS.jpg

How this for a short fat dumping cartridge. This is about what a 227 Dumpshock would look like compared to a 223 Rem. Looking at this I could definitly see feeding problem unless you use some type of control feed like a Mauser action uses. I'm sure something similar could be worked into an auto pistol. But reliability would definitly be an issue.

mcb
otomik
hey that's pretty cool, looks a lot like .224 BOZ which is is basically, just a bit longer and with a bit more power. actually it looks like it might need a longer case than 25mm/1'' since i envisioned it having about an 1.5'' OAL which would put the tip of the bullet on level with the middle of the .223's case neck. a wildcat project might involve finding rare 10mm Magnum brass but this project would require a gun with a looong magwell.
http://www.civil-defence.org/products/ball...os/bullets.html
as you can see from this diagram the OAL should be like the .38 Special or 5.7x28mm you see next to the .224BOZ. i think it needs a 30mm/1.2'' case

feeding problems would be eased with a longer case, tapering the case and or giving it a less steep neck would also help and the resulting decrease in accuracy wouldn't be noticable for this cartridge's purposes.
Raygun
Ordered that CZ52 from J&G today. Should have it in about a week. Couldn't get the 400 rounds of Bulgarian FMJ. The guy said that the BATF nixed the import. Apparently, the bullets had steel cores (AP). Ha! Got 250 rounds of S&B FMJ (the 1600+ fps stuff) instead.
otomik
this could work also
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-...tegory=Revolver
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/218b.html
very similar to a rimmed version of our theoretical .227 Dumpshock the .218 Bee fires a 224cal 45gr. bullet at 2800fps. i could imagine the average lonestar beatcop with a 4-inch one of these much easier than the ruger thunderbolt, gives a classic look thats less intimidating and favored by the PR guys.

mcb, on your website that's the classiest pictures of the Ruger Mark II i've ever seen, really shows the subtle beauty of blueing.

raygun, post a range report up here when you get it?
mcb
I afraid a large part of my web site is toast. I had to move it after I finished school a while ago and I don't have enough space to put it all up proper like. I got spoiled having my own IP address at school and was running a web server on my lab computer. I essentally had as much web space as I had drive space and no band width limit. It makes trying to do a web page on the 10MB I have now from my ISP sort of suck. I just need to get some time to filter it down to the important stuff and clean it up.

mcb
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Actually 90 grains, in a powder measure is the standard load for the bess. A bigger load can go up to 120 grains but no more.

If you say so. I know almost nothing about the Brown Bess or charge weights for it. However, prior to your 90 grain comment, when we were discussing "grains", we were talking about bullet weights. I assumed you were talking about the same thing. That's why I mentioned that a 90 grain, 0.75" projectile would be a pretty odd thing to come by.

And what mcb said. Sabot slug loads through a shotgun can get you within 6 inches at 100 meters these days. More here.

QUOTE (mcb)
3 inch slugs in a pump gun have to be some of the most unpleasant recoil I have encountered. Managing to shoot 5 rounds for groups over sand bags is very uncomfortable to say the least. I would much rather shoot a 416 Rigby bolt action than 3 inch slugs in a pump shotgun.

Glad to know I'm not the only pussy around here. (Check out the link above.)

I have a lot more replying to do here and very little time to do it with. One thing I would like to say is, in reference to this handgun AP ammo thing, READ THIS FRIGGIN PATENT. Install this software and look at the patent images. It's worth the effort.

QUOTE (otomik)
raygun, post a range report up here when you get it?

Absolutely. smile.gif
Snow_Fox
When dealing with black powder you use a measuring cup- like a thumbal on steroids- with a sliding scale to measure out the powder, poured from a tin or horn. The meassurements are "grains." but it is not counting out specific grains, that would vary too much depending on how finely ground your powder is. it's just a measure, probably the basis of the "grains" term you guys are kicking around for modern bullets, like "horsepower" for motors.
Fahr
hey raygun... I'm starting the paperwork for the C&R licence, so I can order one of those CZ52s as well, I am very interested in the range report.

MCB, how much space do you need? I have about 300Mb that I am not using, that I would be happy with storing content on for you, you could use your ISP as the gateway and store the data on mine... PM me if you are interested.

-Mike R.
otomik
i don't get it, the patent talks about shooting armor-piercing donut-shaped bullets. it will produce higher velocities but it's still spreading the energy out in about the same area on the armor, it's striking surface is a donut rather than a point. it sounds like it will twist and flip around a lot in the body (without being an "expanding" projectile, definately plus for military guys). i'd really like to see that in ballistic gelatin, but civilians probably have better options out there already. best info i can find on it now is 10 years old, which makes me wonder if there's a few reasons it's ancient history. i think the AWB or an earlier law restricted bullet composition a lot.
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: extremely low-drag bullet design
Date: 19 Apr 1994 01:14:27 -0400

In article <2oul41$1j3@apakabar.cc.columbia.edu>
jd152@columbia.edu (Joe Dioso) writes:

#Questions: (1)  Does the retained velocity look reasonable? (2)  Has
#anyone created similar bullets in the interim?  (3) If one were to
#take a modern bullet known to be accurate (e.g., 30-cal Sierra
#Matchking) and bore a .10" hole through it, what kind of retained
#velocity could one expect at 1000 yards?

Well the answer to 2) is yes...it has been referred to as a ring airfoil.
Abe Flatau and others were working on a 40mm grenade version to give the
M203 and M79 launchers greater range and a flatter trajectory.  I don't
think the explosive version went anywhere, but there is a crowd-control
rubber version.

Flatau went on to apply the design to handgun bullets in hopes of improving
body armor penetration.  Prototypes were made in 9x19mm, .45 ACP and .45
Win Mag(!).  According to some sources, a demonstration was performed for
some top brass involving the Flatau .45 ACP round and a goat wearing a
Kevlar (Fritz) helmet....in one side out the other.  Reportedly, some of the
officialdom lost their lunch.  What really held back development of the
Flatau round was the use of a steel ring in the nose...it would gouge the
the feedramps.

PMC (the Korean, now part-US, ammo company) somehow heard of the ring airfoil
pistol bullets, and without Flatau's permission, used the design (sans steel
cutting nose) in .38 Special and .44 Special loads.  These were known as
the 'Ultramags' in the US market.  Unfortunately, PMC had no idea of how to
market the bullets and they were eventually pulled from production in the late
'80s.  (Oh yes, Flatau came to a agreement over royalties with PMC concerning
patent infringement.  Furthermore, the first runs of Ultramags were labeled
as 'armor-piercing' because of their solid brass design, which led to a change
to solid copper.)

In the mean time, Flatau's true armor piercing design was developed by
various government agencies.  The ramp gouging problem was solved by extending
the plastic pusher sabot through the ring as a nose.  Reportedly, the 9mm
version now referred to as the Cyclone can penetrate 72 layers of Kevlar!
Some sources suggest that the ATF used the Cyclone round at Waco resulting
in friendly fire casualties.

D.E. Watters
College of Criminal Justice
University of South Carolina
mcb
I'm not quite sure I would call it a doughnut. It does have a hole in the center but since it is a very hard projectile it will not mushroom when hitting soft armor.

http://my.stratos.net/~thedump/odds/45_acp_ap.jpg

I added the colour to make the projectile parts to make it stand out in the drawing. As you can see the round would have a sharp circular cutting edge that in theory should help cut through soft armor. I would love to see some actual test data. I wonder if the expose steel projectile cause accelerated were problems? I would think that would be very evident in full auto Sub-guns chambered in 45 ACP.

Just for fun I made a similar drawing to the 227DS above for the 300DS.

http://my.stratos.net/~thedump/odds/300DS.jpg

Later
mcb

P.S. Talked to my isp and they gave me an additional 15MB of space for free. Very kind of them. smile.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
When dealing with black powder you use a measuring cup- like a thumbal on steroids- with a sliding scale to measure out the powder, poured from a tin or horn. The meassurements are "grains." but it is not counting out specific grains, that would vary too much depending on how finely ground your powder is. it's just a measure, probably the basis of the "grains" term you guys are kicking around for modern bullets, like "horsepower" for motors.

In the cotext we're both using it, the term "grain" is a standard English measurement of weight equal to 1/7000th of a pound (avoirdupois). We're both using the same system of measurement, we're just talking about the weight of different objects.

A History of Measurement and Metrics

The Egyptians and the Greeks used a wheat seed as the smallest unit of weight, a standard that was very uniform and accurate for the times. The grain is still in limited use as a standard weight. However, wheat seeds are no longer actually put in the pan of the balance scale. Instead, a weight that is practically the same as that of an average grain of wheat is arbitrarily assigned to the grain.

In the English system, the particular grain used was a barelycorn. In the world of firearms, the most commonly used metric equivalent to grains is grams (1 gram = 15.432 grains).

QUOTE (Fahr)
hey raygun... I'm starting the paperwork for the C&R licence, so I can order one of those CZ52s as well, I am very interested in the range report.

You don't need a C&R license unless you're planning on collecting a lot of older guns. If you just want a CZ52, all you need is your friendly neighborhood FFL dealer. Go to your local gun shop, bring in the magazine ad and show them what you want. They'll order the gun for you. It will be shipped there, and they will handle the paperwork. Most FFLs will charge a small fee for this service.

Check back here in about a week. I will be posting a report.
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
i don't get it, the patent talks about shooting armor-piercing donut-shaped bullets. it will produce higher velocities but it's still spreading the energy out in about the same area on the armor, it's striking surface is a donut rather than a point.

A very sharp, very hard donut travelling a lot faster than any cream-filled powdered donut is likely to. smile.gif

it sounds like it will twist and flip around a lot in the body (without being an "expanding" projectile, definately plus for military guys). i'd really like to see that in ballistic gelatin, but civilians probably have better options out there already. best info i can find on it now is 10 years old, which makes me wonder if there's a few reasons it's ancient history. i think the AWB or an earlier law restricted bullet composition a lot.

I think it was a combination of the ban on AP ammo (no commercial market to offset R&D costs), a lack of interest in pistol-caliber AP technologies, as well as other AP technologies that were in development around the same time (SLAP, Raufoss, etc...). I'm sure the feed ramp gouging didn't help any, but that's certainly a problem easily solved.

It appears to me that this projectile offers the best performance possible from a pistol-caliber platform. The fact that you don't have to deal with the problems sabots introduce seems like a plus to me. Even though the load would be supersonic, a version of this bullet without the discarding obturator could be suppressed. Another plus. In the patent, he quotes this load in .45 ACP as 109 grains at 1400-1500 fps. That's an improvement for the .45 ACP, certainly. But if you have the choice, the .45 ACP is not exactly the most ideal platform to start from. If the 10mm Auto can launch a 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps, think what it can do for a bullet half that mass. I'm thinking 1900+ fps shouldn't be a problem.

There's a newer patent for this bullet design, which includes some changes. US5275110.

The other viable option is the Russian SJESC bullet, as used by the Russians in several different cartridges. It's pretty much just a sub-caliber steel core with a thick copper jacket surrounding it. Replace the steel core with tungsten carbide and there you go.

Of course you can dedicate a cartridge to the task, which seems to be the route otomik and mcb are taking (and I tend to agree with), but it seems that Aus was trying to figure out a way to make a decent AP load for a semi-auto handgun cartridge also capable of good subsonic ballistics (for use with sound suppression), with the firearm being built around the cartridge. That's what I'm trying to address here.
Raygun
Interesting read...
otomik
QUOTE (Raygun @ May 28 2004, 04:06 AM)
The other viable option is the Russian SJESC bullet, as used by the Russians in several different cartridges. It's pretty much just a sub-caliber steel core with a thick copper jacket surrounding it. Replace the steel core with tungsten carbide and there you go.

it's actually a thick aluminum jacket with a long steel penetrator that protrudes a little at the top and bottom. i like this idea, the subcalibre will pentrate if it hits something armored and if it hits something unarmored it will still expand. this would make a nice low cost replacement to M882 if they added a copper jacket. a tungsten penetrator would be nice but i have a feeling it's one of those economy things the russians like to do like steel cases, they probably use the same carbon steel penetrator from the 7N6, 7N10 or 7N22 AP-type 5.45x39mm cartridges. aluminum and carbon steel would be much easier to standardized on, but a deluxe version with tungsten and kevlar tip would be nice too.
http://club.guns.ru/eng/barnaul.html

that seems to do the trick because i'd hate to go underneath the 9mm FMJ standard unless it's the only thing that penetrates especially if it's not needed (i'd hate to be stuck with a 5.7x28mm NATO standard caliber if all i was doing is popping skinnies in some 3rd word shithole). i doubt body armor proliferation is going to happen much, it degrades over time, gets worse with moisture and sweat so 3rd world body armor is going to be rare and or crappy.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)

In the cotext we're both using it, the term "grain" is a standard English measurement of weight equal to 1/7000th of a pound (avoirdupois). We're both using the same system of measurement, we're just talking about the weight of different objects.

The problem with black powder is the size of ther grains 2F, laike large salt grains is standard for muskets and rifles. 1F veru coarse, for cannons, down to 4f with is as fine as baby powder. 4F makes really good priming but because there is so little space between the grains it doesn't work as well for the primary charge.
mcb
The size of the grains of Black powder effect how fast it burns. The finer grain results in more exposed surface area and thus a faster burn.

Load a brown bess up with 120 grains of FFFFg and you might just blow it up. The real finely ground powder would burn really fast and might over pressure the gun.

FFFFg is primarily used for the flash pan of a flint lock. I do think that some of the 22 cal pistol also use FFFFg for the propellant charge.

FFFg is used in small caliber black powder rifle, like 32 cal and 36 cal and most black powder handguns.

FFg is used in larger caliber rifles 45-58cal and a few large caliber handguns. I have a 54 caliber plains pistol that I have load data using either FFFg of FFg. 50 grains of FFFg will produce similar muzzle velocities to about 66 grains of FFg in my 9 inch barreled plains pistol.

Fg is for small cannons. They actually make black powder in larger pellets for big cannon but I am not sure the designations.

The real problem loading black powder is that most people use volume-measuring devices when loading in the field. This will only give you an approximate charge. The grain size from batch to batch along with the fact that black powder is hydroscopic, loving to absorb water, makes for a lot of variability. Many shooters that shoot black powder competition for marksmanship will actually setup a scale and weight their charges for each shot. They also go to great length to keep their powder dry.

mcb
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
it's actually a thick aluminum jacket with a long steel penetrator that protrudes a little at the top and bottom.

Do you know of any other source to verify that? I can't find one. I know that this guy says it's an aluminum jacket, but everything about the jacket in that picture sure looks copper to me (the edges where the jacket is torn are not silver-colored, for example). I guess it would make sense in terms of ballistics that the jacket would be made of aluminum as it weighs less than copper, but what doesn't make sense to me is that they would bother to copper plate it prior to swaging it around the penetrator. Obviously, the penetrator isn't copper plated, while if the jacket were aluminum, it would have to be to make any sense in this picture. Anyway, either would work just fine.

The New World of Russian Small Arms and Ammo by Charlie Cutshaw does not offer any enlightenment except to say that the Russians tend to be "very secretive" about the particulars of ammunition technologies. Perhaps you have info you'd like to elaborate on. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm pretty interested in this concept.

i like this idea, the subcalibre will pentrate if it hits something armored and if it hits something unarmored it will still expand. this would make a nice low cost replacement to M882 if they added a copper jacket.

Yup.

a tungsten penetrator would be nice but i have a feeling it's one of those economy things the russians like to do like steel cases, they probably use the same carbon steel penetrator from the 7N6, 7N10 or 7N22 AP-type 5.45x39mm cartridges. aluminum and carbon steel would be much easier to standardized on, but a deluxe version with tungsten and kevlar tip would be nice too.

Tungsten definitely would make a much better penetrator. Kevlar tip? Like boots?

that seems to do the trick because i'd hate to go underneath the 9mm FMJ standard unless it's the only thing that penetrates especially if it's not needed (i'd hate to be stuck with a 5.7x28mm NATO standard caliber if all i was doing is popping skinnies in some 3rd word shithole). i doubt body armor proliferation is going to happen much, it degrades over time, gets worse with moisture and sweat so 3rd world body armor is going to be rare and or crappy.

Probably another reason why NATO-affiliated nations haven't put a whole lot into anti-personnel AP technologies. There weren't many com-block nations that would have had the resources and technology to develop decent body armor technology. Russia and maybe Yugoslavia.

But things have changed in the world of Shadowrun. In that case, Aus is right. Someone would have to figure something out that would be interoperable in one firearm for both kinds of missions.
kevyn668
So, do you guys use other brand name firearms in your games? grinbig.gif
Austere Emancipator
Having put some thought into the tubular AP bullet thingamabob, it certainly seems promising. Like otomik, I'd love to see what sort of holes that'll put into ballistic gelatin (and thus meat). A reliable comparison of penetration of body armor with all the mentioned bullet types is never going to happen, so I might as well stop wishing.

I don't know where the line is drawn for 3rd world, but you can see some South African soldiers in some sort of (rather old) flak vests here and, as you can tell from the article, the SA military isn't exactly well funded. I remember seeing lots of body armor in Haiti when the latest ousting of Aristide was going on there some time back, some can be seen here on local policemen/soldiers/whatever -- I guess those were mostly bought from the US with US funds, but it's still body armor in a crappy 3rd world country.

And you never know who you'll be fighting against, although guys like these are unlikely to pick a fight with the US military any time soon.
Arethusa
In fact, it's body armor in the crappiest of crappy third world countries. Not a common occurrence, and chances are that if you do run into it, it'll be sporadic to the point where switching ammunition would not be an effective choice in combat, but it's certainly something worth preparing for.

On a related note, otomik, watch your language. You may not have meant anything by it, but that was pretty fucking racist, and I don't find that acceptable in the least.
Raygun
Would you accept a box of tampons? spin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
In fact, it's body armor in the crappiest of crappy third world countries. Not a common occurrence, and chances are that if you do run into it, it'll be sporadic to the point where switching ammunition would not be an effective choice in combat, but it's certainly something worth preparing for.

Nearly all pictures of armed government soldiers or policemen showed body armor in Haiti. There, at least, it was certainly not sporadic -- most had it.

And while Haiti might be in the minority among 3rd world countries, I cannot see how that minority would not get significant fast. Given 60 years, it could easily be the majority.
otomik
haitian body armor, it's probably old donated stuff from the US or France, just like their M-14 rifles. old donated stuff, especially nice and moist sweaty stuff from that hot haitian climate is crap. there are flak vests which are pretty cheap surplus also but they're like Level I protection. i also belong to the shadowrun school of thought that unless there's plenty of evidence in the books you shouldn't assume anything more than current day tech (even late eighties tech actually). like in Cowboy Bebop where everything is current day tech with large exceptions (matrix, cyberware, spaceflight)

Skinnies are militia teenagers high on khat running around with AKs they hardly know how to use, race has nothing to do with it or do you think that i think all black people are like that?

and you didn't even catch snowfox's Boche comment a few pages ago? even the germans on this board are lighthearted enough to see it's not racist at all.

So, do you guys use other brand name firearms in your games? 
If it helps, i feel the same way when people talk car mechanics.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
i also belong to the shadowrun school of thought that unless there's plenty of evidence in the books you shouldn't assume anything more than current day tech (even late eighties tech actually).

Then I guess this is a completely pointless discussion. smile.gif I absolutely do not think that way, I try to think of everything in terms of at least 2030s technology, or however far into the future I can project my imagination.

haitian body armor, it's probably old donated stuff from the US or France, just like their M-14 rifles.

While you know it, it should be mentioned that that body armor is no where near as old as M14s. That style of kevlar helmets hasn't been around more than 10-15 years. Assuming you keep the protective covers on the armor intact and don't abuse the vest a lot, the protective value shouldn't significantly deteriorate in 10 years. Level I protection is extremely rare in obvious body armor, I still haven't seen it anywhere, so I doubt that's anything less than level II -- which is what the 12-year-old vests I used in the Finnish DF were.

Now going with my line of thought, the shelf life of body armor is going to increase in 60 years, a lot. Their vulnerability to water and general wear and tear is going to decrease, a lot. Some militaries might still be issuing 20-year-old body armor which would still be guaranteed to any common pistol non-AP rounds, or even rifle rounds, depending on how heavy that armor is. The protective value of rigid body armor shouldn't deteriorate at all in normal use.

If it being uncomfortable doesn't stop US soldiers, it won't stop locals either. The only real issue is cost, and I don't think the major military powers in the world can keep thinking that they'll never fight any enemy which can afford body armor for its troops in any amount for 60 years.

However, if you want to keep the tech level in the SR world in the late 80s - modern era in some respects, that's fine for your games. I'm discussing this mainly from the point of view of my games, and I guess most people's games, where technology will continue to advance, even if it happens at an extremely slow pace in some areas, comparable perhaps to the last 60 years IRL.
Snow_Fox
Boche roughly translates as "goons" or "square heads" and is used to designated the Germans in the 2 World Wars.
Austere Emancipator
Never be rude to an Arab,
An Isreali, or Saudi, or Jew.
Never be rude to an Irishman,
No matter what you do.

Never poke fun at a Nigger,
A Spic, or a Wop, or Kraut.
And never poke fun at a...

(Sorry for messing up a perfectly fine thread...)
otomik
you know at the rate us americans are going ""skinnies" will be the nickname for every enemy in every future conflict, unless we decide to attack Samoa...
otomik
i started a companion thread on thehighroad.org
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&t...&threadid=84764
might be able to collect some more info on Flatau's Tubular Penetrator. i also messaged max popenker (the russian guy that runs the Modern Firearms website that has the info on Exposed Steel Core ammo) so he might show up to add his two nuyen.
one interesting thing about the Tube Penetrator and the THV ammo is it looks like a shadowrunner sufficiently motivated and with access to a lathe could make bullets like these and create their own AP handloads (an alternative to blackmarket APDS)
otomik
From Max Popenker:
IMO, we  (the Russians) select the best approach to handgun AP ammo. we just made special bullets for standard 9mm ammo, from 9mm Mak and up to magnum-class 9x21 SP10. These bullets consist of hardened steel core of about 6-7mm (.25 - .28 inch) diameter, enclosed in led filler and with copper jacket. the steel core is exposed at the tip of the bullet to save the energy otherwise required to deform and strip the jacket on impact with body armor.
on soft tissue these bullets act a standard FMJ/Ball, providing the "general issue" stopping power of the caliber. with body armor rhe jacket is left on the top of the armor, and only penetrator goes in; it is still bigger in diameter than a 5.7x28 and, especially 4.6x30HK... but it does not require tumbling to do damage on unprotected targets.

I believe that latest Russian military issue 7N21 9x19 ammo can be fired in Western 9mm +p rated guns, and most effectively from submachine guns like HK MP5 and such; the +P+++ 7N31 (65 grains @ 1970 fps) requires most strong guns like GSh-18 but, also, probably will work from MP-5. While the maximum range wil be probably less than of 5.7x28 from Five-seveN and P90, the versatility of 9mm AP will be much better

the russian stock number reveals some more info with a quick google search
http://club.guns.ru/wwwboard/message/eng/1621.html
From Jane's Ammunition Handbook

9 Ч 19 mm 7N21

Armament

6P35 PYa pistol.

Development

The 9 Ч 19 mm 7N21 cartridge was developed specifically for
the penetration of body armour and specifically for the
6P35 PYa (Grach) pistol, the latest Russian service pistol.
It was designed by Ivan Kasyanov and developed at the
Precision Mechanical Engineering Central Institute
(TSNIITOCHMASH). This cartridge is of interest as it
combines the case dimensions of the 9 Ч 19 mm Parabellum
with a bullet closely allied to that of the 9 Ч 21 mm
Russian. The muzzle velocity is increased over that of
standard 9 Ч 19 mm Parabellum rounds and armour
penetration, particularly of body armour, is therefore much
enhanced.

Marketing of this round is by the Rosoboronexport Federal State Military Enterprise.

Description

At the time of writing it had not been possible to examine
a 7N21 round so the limited information provided here
should be regarded as provisional. The round is marginally
longer when compared to a standard 9 Ч 19 mm Parabellum
equivalent and would probably chamber in most current 9 Ч
19 mm Parabellum pistols. The relatively light 5.2 g bullet
is closely based on the 9 Ч 21 mm Russian bullet so has a
hardened steel or heavy metal tip to provide the armour
penetration capability. The rimless cartridge case,
described as a `bimetal' case in one reference and steel in
another, contains sufficient propellant to provide a muzzle
velocity of 460 m/s, greatly increasing the available
muzzle energy compared to the earlier 9 Ч 17 mm Makarov
round. No armour penetration performance data is available
but it could be safely assumed that performance is such
that penetration of a 1.4 mm titanium plate and up to 30
layers of Kevlar can be achieved.

Specifications

Round length: 29.7 mm Case length: 19 mm Bullet weight: 5.2
g Cartridge weight: 9.4 g Muzzle velocity: 460 m/s

RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND ASSOCIATED STATES (CIS)

Marketing agency

Rosoboronexport Federal State Military Enterprise

No idea of what the "9 mm PBP" is... No other
identification available ?

M.

7N21 is a 79gr. bullet traveling at 1500fps
looks like about +P pressure since CorBon reports having a 9mm load of 90gr. at 1500fps.

as for 7N31 (65 grains @ 1970 fps) He doesn't mention it but i don't see how those ballistics are possible without lightening the bullet a lot. Sounds like +P+ to me and the 7N31 load might be where the aluminum part comes into play.
"aka called 9mm PBP. PBP ammo can penetrate 8mm plate of mild steel at 20 meters, or any Class III bulletproof vest at the same range. "

it appears the 7N21 load was developed especially for the Yarygin PYa / MP-443 "Grach" pistol and the 7N31 load was developed especially for the GSh-18 .
Entropy Kid
If armor penetration is the primary concern of modern/future ammunition design, will there be much development of small (under .50, especially under 9x19) caliber explosive ammunition?

Up front, I'm going to throw my credibility out the window so there will be no surprise by any of the following statements (but I'm curious, so I ask anyway).

I recently saw A Kite, basically an action anime. For those who haven't seen it, the protagonists used an over-stylized high-tech handgun loaded with (very powerful) explosive ammunition.

It was (detachable box) magazine fed, through the grip and fired small caliber rounds from bottle-necked cases. The guns seemed to have an infinite ammo supply, but it was an action flick, so I'm ignoring that. The slugs were explosive and could either be set, via a button on the top of the gun, to not explode, explode on impact, or explode after a short delay. The opening scene showed a small blue light at the back of the slug (which was in a man's head). I'm guessing that was a visual cue for light = electronic timer/detonator. They made huge wounds when they exploded. For the most part I'm ignoring that as well, but keeping the concept.

How powerful would an explosive have to be to cause a wound that was significantly better than just letting the slug fly through a person?

In order to act as a normal and explosive bullet, I'm guessing the explosive compound would have to be at least as hard as lead. Is there any current explosive material that's very stable and also relatively hard?

I'm assuming the rounds were jacketed. In one scene they wouldn't penetrate metal, but there are other scenes where the rounds destroy less resilient materials. If the rounds are jacketed with something hard enough to prevent deforming, would it be strong enough to also negate the effects of the explosive?

The slugs were small. It took many shots to kill a person if they didn't explode inside the target. Is there enough space in a slug no bigger than 9mm for an electronic detonator, jacket, and enough explosive to cause an unusually large wound?

I'm not very worried about the gun itself, it had less tech built in than a smartlink, but the super bullets that went into the thing are an issue. I suppose the technology exists in the SR world to make them, but would anyone? Also, could it be done with relatively inexpensive bullets?
Austere Emancipator
Okay. Let's start with this: I'm pretty convinced that explosive ammunition for small arms is a waste of time and effort if you're only interested in killing people. You can do that far, far cheaper and simpler.

There should absolutely not be what we generally think of as a detonator in a small arms explosive round. It takes far, far too much space. This is why explosive ammunition such as the various HE .50BMGs are detonated by a incendiary mixture which is lit by the friction of hitting a target.

It is conceivable that in 60 years we'd have explosive mixtures that could be pre-set by an electrical impulse to explode after some (very short) amount of time or on contact, or not at all. No separate detonator.

A hard jacket would not be a problem, not if you fired the rounds at a rather low velocity (preferably under 1500fps), keep the bullet size rather large and don't plan on penetrating any armor without the explosion.

The main problem I see is density. Explosives are nowhere near dense enough to make up the majority of volume in a small arm projectile, especially in a non-AP design. The MK 211 MOD 0 and similar designs get around this by having a rather hefty core of tungsten and lots of other metals. For what you're talking about, that would be somewhat counterproductive.

The bullet would have to be very large to hold enough explosive to have a significant effect. Such a bullet would kill people pretty well without any explosive, only with a really good design you might get a tiny increase in effectiveness at dozens of times the cost.

I think I had a point when I started out, what was it again...

Yeah, uhh, it wouldn't have to be mechanically or electronically too complex by the 2060s, but it would still be a fair bit more expensive than many other solutions to killing people and not significant more effective. And even if not as ridiculously complex as in that anime, they'd still be more complex than any conventional solution.

But, assuming that explosive compounds are invented that are extremely dense (preferably at least 10x water), and others that can be set by a varying electric charge to detonate at a certain time in the near future or by friction or pressure, it could be done. Pointless, but possible.
otomik
remote detonaters on 9mm bullets? thats way out there, maybe for a very anime campaign, probably too anime for shadowrun in fact, more like BESM.

There's something in the old Fields of Fire Book in the Shadowtalk. God i love the old shadowtalk, and back when they wrote it correctly with differing points of view, now it just looks like a write wrote the hole damn thing then sectioned it off (North America book especially). anyway this one guy is talking about bullets that explode on contact with moisture. it's possible and it's not that hightech at all.

Sodium explodes on contact with water
http://www.powerlabs.org/chemlabs/sodium.htm
a chemistry professor at my college actually took a good brick sized chunk of sodium out on the lake and it just kept exploding and exploding then fragmenting and it was just very, very cool cool.gif

anyway try filling the hollowpoint of a bullet with a hunk of sodium, i think that would explode inside a body rather than on contact. imagine some demented villian that gets his jollies shooting people and then seeing the same bullet explode back out of their chest moments later, it would make a very indimidating scene to let character know that even in a shades of gray campaign their are still some seriously evil guys out there.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
imagine some demented villian that gets his jollies shooting people and then seeing the same bullet explode back out of their chest moments later, it would make a very indimidating scene to let character know that even in a shades of gray campaign their are still some seriously evil guys out there.

Yeah, 'cause getting your jollies shooting people in the chest isn't evil enough. nyahnyah.gif

Exploding in moisture is certainly possible, but it's not very reliable, and that would rule out the possibility of setting it to explode on contact or not at all. Considering the rate of advancement going on in materials technology, it wouldn't surprise me if there was stuff around that fulfilled the criteria I set above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012