Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brand name firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
about Beretta versus Taurus: there's a lot of little refinements that make the difference in price worth the Beretta. Berettas got chromed chambers and barrels, redesigned and strengthened locking block,

I had a feeling you might have something to say about this, otomik... smile.gif

Berettas are definitely top-quality guns, no doubt, but I for one am not really sure that the refinements offered are worth $150+ retail. Do you really need a chrome lined barrel? I know I don't. But if you buy a Taurus and for some odd reason the barrel does crap out, there's that lifetime warranty. Just get a new one.

As I understand it, the locking block for the Taurus 92/99/100/101 was redesigned around the same time Beretta redesigned theirs (mid 90's). New design, different steel, different heat treating procedures.

decockers (only a few Taurus' have decockers)

The difference in the safety arrangement is exactly why I like the Taurus pistols more. All of the Taurus pistols that compete with the Beretta 92/96 include a decocker that operates indepenently of the safety, unlike the Beretta pistols. They can also be carried in Condition 1. While that's not important to everyone, being raised with a 1911, that form of safety arrangement is very familiar to me and is a big reason why I'm inclined toward the Taurus pistols.

and those reports of weak metalurgy are ill-goten Ruger propaganda based on some crazy Navy SEALS trying to make a subsonic 9mm loading with a 158gr .38 special bullet going just under the sound barrier.

As far as the slides breaking are concerned, that's one of the stories. The other is that Beretta made a batch of slides for the French goverment (apparently before MAS started making their own slides). As it turned out, the French slides were brittle due to the heat treatment process specified, and a lot of those slides broke after a time using standard pressure ammunition. The problem was solved, but it was nonetheless a problem.

The SEALs were using a very hot subsonic load developed by Knight's for the suppressed modification of the 92. It was actually a 170 grain FMJ @ 975 fps, pushing 40,000 psi peak pressure. Enough of that abuse will definitely break a pistol that's designed to push about 35,000 psi. That's one reason why Beretta developed their Brigadier models. "You're not a Navy SEAL until you've tasted Italian steel!"

The locking blocks, however, do tend to break before the rest of the gun wears out, even when using standard ammunition. This is by design. A locking block is cheaper to replace than an entire barrel and slide assembly. Apparently, wear causes uneven stress on the block, causing the right side locking ear to snap off if you let it go too long. If it does snap, the slide won't lock correctly and the locking recesses in the slide will be subject to far more pressure than they are normally. Kaboom, snap, slide imbedded in your face. Well, it would be if they hadn't redesigned the hammer pivot pin to keep the rear of the slide from flying off, anyway. To be fair, if you did the same with a Taurus, you probably would end up with a slide up your nose.

QUOTE (mcb)
As for effect on Shadawrun game play our group decided that single action revolvers are equivalent to SS due to the need to manual cock the hammer to fire each round, were double action revolvers would get SA operation.  I don't remember if this is the way it works by the rules as I don't think there are any single action revolvers spelled out in SR or CC.

Not that I know of, but I do treat the Super Warhawk as a single action because of the SS mode. It's just the way I choose to explain why it uses SS mode. For example, a Super Redhawk would have the same stats except SA mode.

On top of that reloading a normal revolver assumes the cylinder swings opens and allow for quickly ejecting all the empty cases in one quick move.  Thus reloading a double action is, IIRC, a # of rounds equal to quickness per complex action and ejecting the empties is assumed part of the complex action.  With single action revolvers you have to extract each empty case through the loading gate the cylinder axle is fixed in the frame. That led us to say that you unload empties at a # of rounds equal to quickness per complex action and then you must load the gun at the same rate.  This leads to essentially twice as slow to reload.  So I think the difference does make a difference in game terms.  Much of the above may be house rules but if you think about it a single action revolver should make some difference in the game mechanics.

That's how I handle the Colt SAA as well.

I do think that it might be a good idea to note that you are referring to a particular design of single action revolver, as opposed to all single action revolvers. For example, an S&W Model 3 is a single action revolver, but it's also a break top that can be speed loaded.
Snow_Fox
So are Taurus inferior? When I was looking at the that was just what I was told,without the details, as to why the Taurus is bigger, worse metalurgy. For those who haven't seen them, the Taurus looks like a Beretta on steroids. It is cheaper but bigger and the Beretta just felt better in my hand.

I hate to ask but "single action" "Double action?" My Webley (.38) can be mannually cocked but similarly I can just pull the trigger and it will cock itself before firing. It actually is quicker in that regard than the berretta to get into action, goping from lying on a table. since you have to mannually work the slide on the automatic for the first shot.
otomik
I hate to ask but "single action" "Double action?" My Webley (.38) can be mannually cocked but similarly I can just pull the trigger and it will cock itself before firing. It actually is quicker in that regard than the berretta to get into action, goping from lying on a table. since you have to mannually work the slide on the automatic for the first shot.

your webley is double-action or "self-cocking" as jeff cooper sometimes refers to it, the beretta 92 is also double-action but you need to put a round in the chamber and charge the weapon, you've been storing your Beretta in condition 3 as the israelis do (chamber empty).

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. The are:
Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

raygun likes condition 1
i and many other double action shooters prefer condition 2

thats nice that Taurus copied a lot of the improvements Beretta has made down the years and not just use the original Beretta 92 design that they bought the rights to make, yes very nice of them. maybe i just like to see money go to designers, maybe I can't stand Taurus management, listen to Bob Morrison on guntalk blather on about the Taurus-MetalStorm Smartgun and how they'll be the only gun you can buy by judicial coup.
Arethusa
For the record, I was talking about single action revolvers, not specifically single action revolvers in the old SAA style. So, basically, just a single action trigger that requires you to cock it before firing. Within SR, I don't think there's any real difference between either action, considering what else you can do as a free action.

Also, I'm curious: why don't you guys go with weapon skill to determine the number of shells loaded instead of Quickness? Seems like the former'd make more sense.

Also, Fox, they should be about even to grab off a table and fire, assuming you leave a round chambered in the Beretta. It's not like that's incredibly unsafe practice, or anything, either.
mcb
Arthusa I think that if its single action revolver independent of the style of revolver its going to be significantly slower then a revolver capable of double actions or double/single action. A single action revolver has to be cocked manually every time its to be fired not just the first time as in the case of a single action semi-auto. I believe it is reasonable to make all single action revolvers slower to fire than a double action revolver. Loading should be a case by case. A Colt Army single action should be slower than dirt to load a Schofield single action should be no slower than any "modern" double action revolver.

I do agree with you that it should probably be firearms skill or a combination of firearms skill and quickness for reloading rather than just quickness alone.

mcb
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
So are Taurus inferior?

In my experience, absolutely not. I've fired different models of both pistols several different times, and in all practical senses, they might as well be the same pistol. They're both very accurate and very reliable. The only significant differences are the safety arrangement, for which I prefer the Taurus, and cost.

Beretta does put more into finishing their guns by rounding off sharp edges, chrome lining barrels, using more ergonomic grip panels, the "Bruniton" finish, etc... Nice little touches that don't have any significant effect on functionality. If you consider the lack of these things an inferiority, then I guess that's what they are. For me, they do not justify the $150-180 difference in cost.

Don't get me wrong, Beretta makes extremely good products. Some of the best in the world. But in the case of the Beretta 92 vs. Taurus 92, I think the Taurus is the better product. It really comes down to personal preferrence.

When I was looking at the that was just what I was told, without the details, as to why the Taurus is bigger, worse metalurgy.

Sounds like something a salesman would say. I haven't seen anything that would seem to uphold that claim. Examining pistols that have had thousands of rounds through them certainly doesn't, but it's not like I've seen any real extreme cases of that either.

For those who haven't seen them, the Taurus looks like a Beretta on steroids. It is cheaper but bigger and the Beretta just felt better in my hand.

Again, the Taurus does have grip panels that aren't quite as ergonomic as those found on the Beretta pistols. The Taurus may feel bigger, but the frame, slide, barrel, etc... actually have the exact same dimensions as the Beretta pistol. The Taurus pistols are made on tooling that Beretta built and imported from Italy to Brazil.

I hate to ask but "single action" "Double action?" My Webley (.38) can be mannually cocked but similarly I can just pull the trigger and it will cock itself before firing.

Right. That's double action. The trigger mechanism can both cock and release the hammer. In a single action pistol, the trigger can only release the hammer. The hammer must be cocked manually or the trigger won't do anything.

It actually is quicker in that regard than the berretta to get into action, goping from lying on a table. since you have to mannually work the slide on the automatic for the first shot.

Unless you have the chamber loaded, then it's a simple matter of pulling the trigger through like you would any double action revolver (as well as being safer than your Webley). Not only that, but follow-ups are potentially more accurate because the pistol automatically cocks the hammer after the first shot, thus you can fire from the single action mode (which requires less pressure on the trigger). On top of that, you'll have 11-16 shots with a fully loaded magazine and chamber, as opposed to 6.

QUOTE (otomik)
raygun likes condition 1
i and many other double action shooters prefer condition 2

I am partial to using Condition 1, but the main reason I like the Taurus over the Beretta is that you have the option of using either Condition 1 or Condition 2. With the Beretta, there is no Condition 1 (except on the Combat/Stock models, but then there's no decocker).

thats nice that Taurus copied a lot of the improvements Beretta has made down the years and not just use the original Beretta 92 design that they bought the rights to make, yes very nice of them.

What's really going to burn your ass is that Taurus never purchased any rights to produce the guns! Beretta's Brazilian military contract was up in 1980 and they were at a quandary as what to do with the tooling. Their Italian plant didn't need it anymore, and destroying it was cost-prohibitive. Taurus offered to buy the entire plant at a substantial profit to Beretta, and Beretta jumped at the offer.

They made their own bed. Now they have to lie in it. You can't blame Taurus for improving their products as well. The same thing happened to S&W when Bangor Punta owned both them and Taurus. S&W took advantage of the cheap labor, Bangor Punta sold off both companies, Taurus bought up S&W's shit.

maybe i just like to see money go to designers, maybe I can't stand Taurus management, listen to Bob Morrison on guntalk blather on about the Taurus-MetalStorm Smartgun and how they'll be the only gun you can buy by judicial coup.

Yeah, that's fucked. I wish Taurus wasn't involved in it, but if they weren't, who would be? Some other company, probably one that doesn't know the first thing about guns and doesn't give a shit about anything but government grants. I think it's a good thing that it's an existing gun company that's involved, but I hope the people of New Jersey will wake up and shitcan the legislation more than anything else.

Anyway, I can understand how that would turn a person away from buying any Taurus products, but it doesn't change the fact that they make a good copy of the Beretta 92.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Within SR, I don't think there's any real difference between either action, considering what else you can do as a free action.

I think there should be disadvantages to using weapons that are "slower" to get into action, like single action revolvers. Skill should offset this somewhat, but as a simple rule, requiring a "ready weapon" Simple Action to cock the hammer seems reasonable to me.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Raygun)
I think there should be disadvantages to using weapons that are "slower" to get into action, like single action revolvers. Skill should offset this somewhat, but as a simple rule, requiring a "ready weapon" Simple Action to cock the hammer seems reasonable to me.

So do I. My point is only that, given what else you can do with a free action, it's somewhat ridiculous to say that you can't cock a pistol hammer without expending a simple action. Balanced, yes, but not internally consistent. If you change what's allowed as a free action, that's another matter entirely, and, hell, that's a decision I'd advocate.
Raygun
Can you give some examples of Free Actions that make applying this a problem? I mean, I think this falls squarely under the definition of a Ready Weapon Simple Action and I can't think of any Free Action that would create this much friction, but I don't have my books with me at the moment.
Kanada Ten
All Mundane Free Actions Actions PDF

Activate Cyberware
Delay Action
Drop Object
Drop Prone
Gesture
Observe
Speak a Word
Combat
Call a Shot
Change Smartgun Fire Mode
Eject Smartgun Clip
Raygun
Thanks, Kanada Ten.

So arguables would be Drop Object, Drop Prone, and Gesture? I suppose cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine counts as a word... Eh... This would be one of those if-my-players-threw-a-fit things, I'd let 'em have it for the sake of saving time. Otherwise, if pulling a trigger is a Simple Action, so is cocking a hammer.
Entropy Kid
Even making cocking a hammer a Free Action, the weapon is still slower than double, single-double, and self cocking handguns, since there's only one Free Action for each character's combat phase.
Arethusa
That's a good point, though don't forget that the weapon can be cocked for the first shot on the immediately preceding combat phase and then cocked again after the first shot, which basically means you're just as fast as a semi auto pistol until you start using your free actions for other things (like calling shots).
Snow_Fox
Thanks for explaining it. I thought that's what was meant but no one exer explained it to me.

This thread really does fall into the idea of the differences between Beretta and Taurus that I noticed while shopping. You get hit with their .380 round it won't make much difference to you, but I have small hands and found the berretta("Nice in a lady's handbag") just more comfortable. Oddly enough the Webley, a larger gun, as a slimer grip since it doesn't need to make room for a clip, and I can shoot better with it, though that might be the longer barrel too.

Just for the record, I store All my firearms unloaded.

If I need it I takes only a momment to slam a clip into the berretta and cock it.
Unless I'm actually prepared to fire, I don't like to even chamber a round in the berretta. Keeping a gun lying around with a round chambered is just asking for trouble.
kevyn668
I hear ya on the RL safety concerns but SR-wise its generally better to have a round in the chamber wink.gif
Arethusa
It's not just SR, though (discounting the fact that SR has no safety concerns short of GM fiat). Anyone living that sort of lifestyle is going to be storing guns with mags loaded, and probably a personal weapon with a round in the chamber at all times. If you don't however, definitely an understandable safety concern.

Curious how you'd load the Webley if you ended up in a situation that called for it, though.
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Thanks for explaining it. I thought that's what was meant but no one exer explained it to me.

No prob. smile.gif

This thread really does fall into the idea of the differences between Beretta and Taurus that I noticed while shopping. You get hit with their .380 round it won't make much difference to you, but I have small hands and found the berretta("Nice in a lady's handbag") just more comfortable.

I don't doubt that. The Beretta is slightly more comfortable to me, too.

BTW, both of the pistols we've been discussing are chambered in 9x19mm. Beretta does make pistols in .380, most notably their model 84. It's a bit smaller than the 92 and operates on a different principle, but it does look similar to the 92 and is arguably the best .380 on the market. (It's the pistol Trinity uses in the Matrix movies.)

Just for the record, I store All my firearms unloaded. ... Keeping a gun lying around with a round chambered is just asking for trouble.

Definitely. I store my firearms unloaded as well. But I didn't really think that "lying on a table" was meant to respresent a reasonable form of storage. I was thinking more in terms of carry, or how a shadowrunner might keep a gun at the ready when resting at a safe house or something similar. In that way, having a loaded Webley lying on a table is no different or safer than having a chambered Beretta lying on a table.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Curious how you'd load the Webley if you ended up in a situation that called for it, though.

Like you would any other break-top revolver. Find some speedloaders (they were made) or make your own. If you had or knew anyone who had any experience with CAD, you could use a patent (like US 4202124) as a place to start and whip up a file for a speedloader that any CAM shop could cut for you, several of them in a day. Another option would be to have a clip recess cut into the Webley's cylinder face, then have a die made for press-cutting clips out of sheet steel.

I'd be more curious as to why any shadowrunner would bother to carry a Webley around anyway, personality quirks aside.
Snow_Fox
Well, if you can get the .455 Webley's that's a hell of a take down weapon without magnum loads.

I've handled them both and would love to get a .455. Both are good pistols but the .455 is something to go after the boshe with. the .38 is better than screaming for help.

I wouldn't go for the Webley to load in an emergency. That's why I bought the berretta. Most of my guns are more collectors or, personal interest items. The berretta is for defense.
Crusher Bob
Personally, I have severe resevations about storing a weapon mean for 'instant' defense unloaded (or even without a round in the chamber). Most defense weapons that people talk about would be used within a home, which is well within the 'lethal range' of a knife/bat/etc. If you go for your weapon you immediatly escalate the situation for the person on the other side. They will have to take you out. If you just rolled over, they might let you live. If you are going to have to go for your weapon, it darn well better be ready to fire when you get your hand on it, anything else increases your risk.
Drain Brain
As an aside from the Old World, I must say I find the discussion disturbing!

Alright, like most teenagers (those were the days) I was obsessed with violence and as part of my sometime job as a theatrical props man I have some firearms knowledge, but over here in the UK the merest hint of a firearm is such a deterrent that the load status of a weapon is largely irrelevant.

There's a professional hunter lives up the road, used to be on the Olympic shooting squad, so I hear, and is ex-military. He, professionally, keeps weapons in his home. That's a 12gauge or somesuch. The crooks don't even go near the place.

Except the aforementioned obsessed teenagers who get umpty and throw bricks at his car because he wont let them come visit his gun collection... pratts...
Snow_Fox
bob, lets not turn this into a gun owner debate. I'm a small woman. living in a relatively isolated spot. I am and have been quit prepared to defend myself. I'm betting you have been lucky enough to not be in that situation. I have been. I didn't heistate then and I don't care if I might be escalating it. Someone comes through my door uninvited, they have escalted it and I have no intention of waiting to see how far they want to go. I've been the victim of attempted muggings and the last one, in Yonkers New York, I put in the hospital.

In New York, another time, I had an attempted push in robbery that I stopped with a sword tip to the man's throat. If he had not stopped, I would have thrust home without any reservations. I think he saw that in my face. Because after looking at me he pulled back. I'm not roaming the streets like some crazed vigilanty, but I will defend my home and my family and I won't hesitate. If someone has broken in through my front door and is standing on my living room carpet, there is no debate. If I point a gun at someone, it is with the intention to shoot. You NEVER shoot to wound, that is BS. You shoot and you shoot to kill. Anything else and you will end up dead. If you aren't prepared for that, don't own fire arms. I do, and I am.

Here endeth the lesson.
otomik
runners with webleys: a webley .455 oozes class, same reason a Face-type character might pack a luger p-08. maybe it's not perfectly realistic and their are good classy modern weapons but for a anime inspired campaign it will do nicely. also runners that live in areas where no modern firearms are being imported in large numbers will want any functional gun they can find (plenty of yakuza with old 1911A1s, Tokarevs and Makarovs).

snowfox, a bit confused by your .380 comment, so do you have a Beretta 92-series, a Beretta 81-series or a Taurus 92-series?
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Well, if you can get the .455 Webley's that's a hell of a take down weapon without magnum loads.

With body armor being as prevalent as tends to be in SR, the .455 is much more of a liability than it was in its day. A 260 grain LRN at 650 fps would easily be soaked by most body armor available today, let alone 60 years from now.

Personally, I have severe resevations about storing a weapon mean for 'instant' defense unloaded (or even without a round in the chamber). Most defense weapons that people talk about would be used within a home, which is well within the 'lethal range' of a knife/bat/etc. If you go for your weapon you immediatly escalate the situation for the person on the other side. They will have to take you out. If you just rolled over, they might let you live. If you are going to have to go for your weapon, it darn well better be ready to fire when you get your hand on it, anything else increases your risk.

That's all fine and dandy if you don't have kids around. If the gun is locked up, it's going to take a few seconds to get to the safe and open it, another 5 seconds more (tops) to load it aren't likely to make much difference.

QUOTE (otomik)
runners with webleys: a webley .455 oozes class, same reason a Face-type character might pack a luger p-08. ... also runners that live in areas where no modern firearms are being imported in large numbers will want any functional gun they can find (plenty of yakuza with old 1911A1s, Tokarevs and Makarovs).

For which ammunition is still widely available. So far as I can tell, Fiocchi is the only company that still makes .455 Webley ammunition, and that is the standard MKII LRN load I discussed above, marketed as a specialty load. So you can get brass, but you'll have to develop new loads for the .455 (probably some approaching .45 ACP ballistics). Just seems like a lot of trouble and expense to incur for the sake of style. Of course, if your GM says modern ammunition is available, then it is, and there's nothing to worry about.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (otomik)
I figured .357 SIG was just fine. (heh) I also like that particular P226 because it's the gun the Secret Service agents carry, and I like to think they know how to pick a gun.
the USSS carry the P229 in .357SIG, but the 220s and 226s are best IMHO, notice the external extractor on the new 226s? some little niceities that the other models don't have. i suggest you do some character development and rent one at your local range, a very nice piece.

Damn. Chalk it and the various other mistakes I made in posts over the last two weeks to finals.
otomik
So you can get brass, but you'll have to develop new loads for the .455 (probably some approaching .45 ACP ballistics). Just seems like a lot of trouble and expense to incur for the sake of style.
actually you can convert them to fire .45acp, it's quite common, in fact all i've seen at gun shows are ones converted to fire .45acp. anyway i'm sure you're aware that .45acp performance against body armor is just about as disappointing as .455 british.

anyway shadowrun situations are often that people with body armor are shooting at one another with handguns and not rifles or anything more powerful, this is bizarre and has nothing to do with a guns RL combat value. imagine Joe Runner throwing his nice Ed Brown 1911 into a cesspool after picking up an antiquated but powerful and deep penetrating combloc CZ52.
Austere Emancipator
Going by the figures on Raygun's site, I doubt a 7.62x25mm TT 87gr FMJ @ 1,390fps would still penetrate a NIJ type III-A vest. It might require III-A, though, but I don't think it would perform better than a 9mmP 124gr FMJ @ 1,400fps. How common is III-A compared to other types these days?

The only kinds of RL handguns I could see penetrating any body armor in the 2060s are the überpowerful (.440 Cor-Bon and up) and the rather odd (FN Five-seveN and kin). Of those probably only the former will age well. Personally, I'd rather taken an assault rifle than a .500S&W revolver, simply out of pity for my wrists.
otomik
standard .45ACP FMJ 230gr at 850fps is stopped by level I body armor
now about the tokarev round, it's basically the .30 Mauser with some internal case differences and and fired at difference pressures. the russians starting playing around with .30 mauser after WWI when germany and russia were both international pariahs. russia bought a lot of german mauser pistols and wanted to develop submachineguns also using the same round, so the cartridge was modified subtley and got hotter. how much different those pressures are is dependent on locality. the Czech variety is the hottest, it's a total subgun load at fires an 87gr. bullet at a little over 1600fps. it will penetrate IIIA, not III. i don't know if that outperforms 9mm 124gr at 1400fps on bodyarmor, but my hunch is "yes".

I don't know how common IIIA is but it's the most powerful type that can be worn all the time. body armor used to be a little secret that most civilians didn't know about cops. i don't think it would be very polite conversation to ask officer friendly and i doubt that information is as readily available at issue sidearms, cop car models, etc.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
it will penetrate IIIA, not III. i don't know if that outperforms 9mm 124gr at 1400fps on bodyarmor, but my hunch is "yes".

If it penetrates III-A, that means it outperforms 9mm 124gr at 1,400fps by far, because that 9mm will never, ever penetrate III-A unless you hit the same spot repeatedly. I'm a bit sceptical, but you never know.

Anyway, not every cop wears III-A these days, that's for sure. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if even the 87gr FMJ at 1,390 fps penetrated level II. Thus if you knew you'd have to be shooting at people with body armor, but not very heavy body armor, you might be better off with the 7.62x25 TT than the .45ACP.

Can you get a FN 5-7 in the US? Barring that, if I were Joe Runner, I'd get an AMT Automag III in .30 Carbine or even a SIG P226 in .357 SIG or, if all else fails, any ole .357 or .44 Magnum revolver. All of those will penetrate level II as well, and some might even penetrate III-A.

While I can see how it might be intelligent for a criminal to pick a CZ52 in some cases over an M1911 IRL when his choices in weaponry are restricted, I really can't see that happening in 60 years. Body armor technology will probably have advanced sufficiently to beat any handgun caliber in common use now. The one type of handgun I could see being useful in that respect for the foreseeable future is a Thompson/Center Encore in .243Win/.25-06/.270Win/7mm-08/.308/.30-06. There are some problems with that approach, however...

[Edit]That's funny. The current NIJ standards don't even mention .45ACP anywhere. The only quote I could find, on BulletProofMe.Com, mentions level II-A as capable of stopping .45ACP 230gr FMJs. Doesn't really matter, however, because II-A is the lightest in common use these days. Level I is mostly obsolete.

One interesting point: Most level II body armor in existance will stop a 9mm 124gr FMJ at 1,400fps, they'll just fail the "deformation" criteria. Thus if a 7.62 87gr FMJ at 1,600fps penetrates III-A, it penetrates body armor an order of magnitude better than the 9mm.[/Edit]
otomik
yep, shadowrunners probably have their own bizarre little gunnie subculture worrying about penetrating body armor.

.357 SIG (this will be one of the most popular)
.38 Casull (.45acp necked down to 9mm)
7.62x25mm Tokarev (Czechified loadings or saboted .223 Timbs)
.357 Magnum (some specialized loadings chuck a 90gr. at 2000fps, a very versatile cartridge)
.357 Maximum (a magnumized magnum)
9mm Para (+P+ loadings are still very respectable)
9x23mm Winchester (the great underappreciated successor to .38 Super)
.22 Remington Jet (a .357 Mag cartridge necked down to .22)
.17 HMR (i'm not really sure but it's an interesting new cartridge)

some oddball solutions
Taurus Raging Thirty/Bee/Hornet
.30 Carbine
.218 Bee
.22 Hornet

AMT Automag III .30 carbine (sure but it's an AMT and won't work most of the time)
Thompson Contender (for ambush situations)

PS
FN Five-Seven is now available to the public but the regular Armor Piercing ammo for it is not available so it's performance is marginally better than a .22 Magnum, however some enterprising handloader might be able to figure something out but this is pure speculation, i haven't heard a whisper on that front.

The current NIJ standards don't even mention .45ACP anywhere. The only quote I could find, on BulletProofMe.Com, mentions level II-A as capable of stopping .45ACP 230gr FMJs. Doesn't really matter, however, because II-A is the lightest in common use these days. Level I is mostly obsolete.
that's because that webpage isn't selling level I, they're selling IIA as the lowest option so of course they bump up the things that would have been listed as being stopped by level I.
Austere Emancipator
I haven't seen any place selling level I body armor, ever. wink.gif Still, it wouldn't surprise me at all if BulletProofMe.Com didn't have all their facts straight, and, like I said, it wouldn't matter because level I isn't really used anywhere.

I did remember something being said somewhere about the AMT Automags not being exactly reliable, but it was the first cheap semi-auto pistol platform I could remember for some really big cartridges.

All of those might "do the trick" right now, IRL, but I have serious doubts whether anything but the rifle-caliber single-shots would in the 2060s. Of course advances in bullet technology might help some, but then I'm pretty confident some of those calibers will never have hi-tech armor piercing loadings made for them, not now and certainly not in 60 years.

BTW, you can't get a T/C Contender in any of the calibers I mentioned above for the Encore. You can get it in a number of other calibers, though...
mcb
http://www.bullberry.com/TCbarrels.html

AE you can get it in even more cartridges if you go with some custom shops. The above is probably one of the better third party custom barrel maker's list for the T/C Contender. They also make Encore barrels in up to 416 Rigby.

mcb
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mcb)
They also make Encore barrels in up to 416 Rigby.

Ick. You can count me out. Even if it "only" manages ~2,000fps for a 410-grainers, that just can't be healthy.
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
actually you can convert them to fire .45acp, it's quite common, in fact all i've seen at gun shows are ones converted to fire .45acp.

That's certainly a step forward. .45 ACP ammunition has better ballistic performance and is much, much more available than .455 Webley. Converting a cylinder would certainly be cheaper in the long run that making up batches of .455 Webley ammo. You'd also have to clip load it that way, which would make reloading faster.

Alternately, I found that Speer makes 225, 250 and 260 grain JHPs in .454 that might work in the .455 Webley case. It should be possible to get that 225 grain bullet up to around 850 fps, into .45 ACP territory.

anyway i'm sure you're aware that .45acp performance against body armor is just about as disappointing as .455 british.

My point in that statement was not to say that .45 ACP will penetrate common body armor while .455 Webley won't, but that the .45 ACP performs so poorly against body armor that using something that would perform even worse, cost twice as much and be far less available would be a mistake for any professional shadowrunner to make.

anyway shadowrun situations are often that people with body armor are shooting at one another with handguns and not rifles or anything more powerful, this is bizarre and has nothing to do with a guns RL combat value.

True.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
How common is III-A compared to other types these days?

IIIA is the most common type of body armor used by police in the US, probably the world. It's the best protection available for concealable, soft body armor.

QUOTE (otomik)
standard .45ACP FMJ 230gr at 850fps is stopped by level I body armor

If it was, you'd think NIJ would be all over reporting that considering that the .45 ACP is one of the more popular handgun cartridges out there, but they don't. My guess is that if NIJ Level I does stop the .45 ACP 230 FMJ, it won't do it within backface deformation limits (1.44"), which is why NIJ doesn't qualify it.

However, NIJ IIA will stop the .45 ACP 230 FMJ within backface limits. The same is probably true for the .455 Webley MKII, only the 260 LRN bullet is much more malleable than an FMJ; it will deform easier and is more likely to be stopped.

the Czech variety is the hottest, it's a total subgun load at fires an 87gr. bullet at a little over 1600fps. it will penetrate IIIA, not III.

So is this 1,600 fps figure coming from a pistol or an SMG? The reason I'm asking is because if the 1,390 fps figure was taken from a pistol (and I'm pretty sure it was), the 1,600 fps figure, being a "total subgun load", was most likely the exact same load chronographed from a submachine gun. For example, if a Tokarev is generating the 1,390 fps figure, an sa23 (Czech 7.62x25mm submachine gun) is going to come pretty close to 1,600 fps with nothing but the extra 6.62" of barrel to account for it. Considering for +30 fps per inch of barrel (Understanding Firearm Ballistics says that's about average), I come out with 1588 fps.
otomik
http://www.sb-usa.com/pistol_ammo_page.htm
sellier and bellot the czech ammo manufacturer i spoke of, reports a 85gr pill at 1647fps (from a 4.75in Cz52 length barrel). skeptical of manufacturers numbers further research indicates around 1550fps with 85gr. that same cartridge comming out of a SMG or carbine length barrels could begin to put it into .30 carbine territory.

Raygun, i have a hunch you got your 1,390fps figure from Frank Barnes' book?
''Until the .357 Magnum revolver cartridge came along, the 30Mauser was the high-velocity champion of the pistol world. It has a flat trajectory that makes long-range hits possible, but lacks stopping power on man or heavy animals because of the light full-jacketed bullet.''
"One of those little Russian hold-outs that chambered
some godawful overheated caliber originally intended for killing the engine
blocks of tanks. The Russians, never too safety-minded, had the market in
Saturday-night specials." -William Gibson, Virtual Light

look it even has APDS ammo available for it! (especially if one where to use a green tip M885/SS109 military bullet)
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108054
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&t...highlight=timbs
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
http://www.sb-usa.com/pistol_ammo_page.htm
sellier and bellot the czech ammo manufacturer i spoke of, reports a 85gr pill at 1647fps (from a 4.75in Cz52 length barrel). skeptical of manufacturers numbers further research indicates around 1550fps with 85gr. that same cartridge comming out of a SMG or carbine length barrels could begin to put it into .30 carbine territory.

Jeez, that is hot. Pretty close. Out of an sa23, you're likely to get something like 1740-1840 fps with that load. Certainly more likely to penetrate body armor than any other fairly common handgun cartridge, with the exception of a hot 110 grain .357 Mag load.

Raygun, i have a hunch you got your 1,390fps figure from Frank Barnes' book?

Most likely. I don't have the book with me right now or I'd tell you for sure.

look it even has APDS ammo available for it! (especially if one where to use a green tip M885/SS109 military bullet)
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108054
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&t...highlight=timbs

Yeah. I have that Fortier article somewhere. IIRC, bullets over 50 grains (including the SS109) are so long that the cartridge won't load into magazines or feed through the CZ52 action. Might be able to use the 52 grain M995 AP bullet, though. More AP capability anyway.
otomik
A customized CZ52 to Czech out: fast, cheap and easy -- is this a pistol we're talking about?
American Handgunner, Sept-Oct, 2002, by David M. Fortier
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0BTT/159...cle.jhtml?term=
Fahr
wow.... I might have to look into one of those...

-Mike R.
Raygun
I guess it was 55 grains. There are pictures in the article of the .223 Timbs 55 grain FMJ loaded into a CZ52 with the slide removed. It looks like it barely fits in there. Anyway, I don't think the SS109 bullet would work too well. You'd be limiting powder capacity too much if you could manage to cram it into the CZ52 action.

Here's an interesting Russian job I found looking for things on a similar vein.
otomik
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&t...&threadid=79139
93gr. at 1770fps!
Austere Emancipator
I can't say I have any idea what kind of stress that causes on the gun or the shooter, but I gotta say that's pretty frightening. An even 876 Joules or 646.1 ft-lbs.

I keep wondering whether calibers more like 5.7x28 actually might become common just in order to penetrate body armor, or whether the need to have something a bit more serious against unarmored opponents would just cause a drive towards SLAP pistol ammunition for militaries.

For example, would it be feasible to have something like a 10x25 with a saboted M993 7.62x51mm AP bullet as the projectile? The main concern is probably the feed at that point -- but assuming a theoretical future weapon that is designed to fire such rounds, what kind of practical limits are there to the cartridge length with conventional (short) recoil operated pistols, if any? If it were possible, what kind of performance could you expect with a 10mm Auto pistol with a saboted 126.6gr 7.62mm projectile, if it actually fed correctly?

[Edit]Failing that, you could always sabot the same projectile onto a .44 Magnum or similar and fire it out of a revolver...[/Edit]
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&t...&threadid=79139
93gr. at 1770fps!

Jesus. I'd like to see some chronograph readings on that stuff. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Some reloading data for the 7.62x25mm if you're interested.

Thinking of picking up a CZ52 now. J&G and SOG have them in "very good plus" condition for $99 with a mag, holster and cleaning rod. J&G also has 416 rounds of Bulgarian FMJ for $55. Would be fun to play with, anyway.

And otomik, I thought you might find this interesting if you haven't heard about it already... SOG has an Egyptian-made Beretta 1951 copy (licensed!) for $159.

I keep wondering whether calibers more like 5.7x28 actually might become common just in order to penetrate body armor, or whether the need to have something a bit more serious against unarmored opponents would just cause a drive towards SLAP pistol ammunition for militaries.

I doubt that militaries will invest much into SLAP ammunition for pistols. Other than for very specialized applications, there's not a lot of point. And if you're going to bother to specialize, you might as well go all the way and make an entirely new cartridge and firearm to use it.

If an armored combatant is close enough for you to have to whip out a pistol, either A) you can probably shoot them in a place where they're not armored, bypassing the need for AP, or B) it won't matter because you're fucked anyway, and that's that. Either go down swinging or give up and hope for the best. The limits imposed by a through-grip action mean that rifles will always be much, much better at penetrating body armor than pistols, no matter what kind of fantastic load you devise.

For example, would it be feasible to have something like a 10x25 with a saboted M993 7.62x51mm AP bullet as the projectile? The main concern is probably the feed at that point -- but assuming a theoretical future weapon that is designed to fire such rounds, what kind of practical limits are there to the cartridge length with conventional (short) recoil operated pistols, if any? If it were possible, what kind of performance could you expect with a 10mm Auto pistol with a saboted 126.6gr 7.62mm projectile, if it actually fed correctly?

In order to get any kind of decent supersonic load out of something like that, the action would probably have to be lengthed beyond the point that would allow a through-grip magazine. At least one that was comfortable enough for the average human being to use.

The other major limiting factor is pressure. You could really hot load a cartridge like that, like these guys are doing to the 7.62x25mm, but eventually, you're going to over do it and blow something up if you're not careful. Handguns are generally designed to be small and lightweight, which puts greater limits on how much pressure the material they're made out of can safely absorb before failing.

The obvious way to remedy those problems is to just make the bullet smaller and lighter. The reason the 7.62x25mm can move so fast is because the bullet is all of 85-90 grains. Keep heading in that direction and you end up with the 4.6x30mm, 5.7x28mm, 6.5x25mm, .224 BOZ... PDW cartridges.
BitBasher
Bah! 165 grain at 1200 fps, That's good enough for me, because it happens to be what I load in my gun!

H&K: The Tommy Hilfiger of Firearms. biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
I doubt that militaries will invest much into SLAP ammunition for pistols. Other than for very specialized applications, there's not a lot of point. And if you're going to bother to specialize, you might as well go all the way and make an entirely new cartridge and firearm to use it.

The intention was really exactly that: An entirely new cartridge and firearm, designed so that it could take the advantage of high velocity saboted armor piercing rounds as well as large and heavy FMJs.

The FMJ could be something like a full-caliber (10mm) 200 grain bullet at 1150-1200fps, whatever you can safely fire out of such a gun without putting too much stress on either the pistol or the shooter and keeping the recoil to a manageable level. The SLAP could be a 100 grain 7mm tungsten projectile, however fast you could get it out of the barrel.

The only real advantage of that system I could think of is to give units which could conceivably have to engage targets with pistols a gun that is both adequately effective against unarmored targets and can be fully suppressed without making it useless, but can still penetrate at least some body armor when necessary by simply changing magazines.

Maybe going caseless would help here. That could reduce the length of the cartridges enough to allow those awkwardly long SLAP rounds to feed properly without an extremely long action. It might reduce magazine capacity somewhat, however, which is a major detractor especially if it reduced to less than 10.
Snow_Fox
Uh- guys, you do know you lost me a page ago right?

How about a Brown Bess firing at about 90 grains?
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Bah! 165 grain at 1200 fps, That's good enough for me, because it happens to be what I load in my gun!

H&K: The Tommy Hilfiger of Firearms. biggrin.gif

Damn right. I doubt anyone I have to fire on with my H&K (230gr .45) is going to be arguing with me about muzzle velocity biggrin.gif

Old tricks are the best tricks...
otomik
Maybe going caseless would help here. That could reduce the length of the cartridges enough to allow those awkwardly long SLAP rounds to feed properly without an extremely long action. It might reduce magazine capacity somewhat, however, which is a major detractor especially if it reduced to less than 10.
kind of like a Steyr ACR and HK G11 combined into one?

anglo-gun-ophile
to bad the english don't make pistols anymore, do you make up for it by boiling your Beretta in hot water for cleaning then oiling it with worchestershire sauce? " it justs makes everything taste so…English" silly.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (otomik)
kind of like a Steyr ACR and HK G11 combined into one?

Well, sorta. Those two combined with a H&K USP Tactical .45. wink.gif

As for British pistols, I can think of at least the Spitfire. A CZ75-copy, supposedly well-made. Couldn't find any site that gives any real information on it, let alone the maker's home page. Whether a simple copy of a Czech weapon really counts British, I dunno.
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)

Well, being a black powder musket, that would depend on your powder charge. I have no idea. But you would have to be a pretty creative cat to make a somewhat stable-flying, 90 grain .75" projectile. Not a whole lot of point. Buy a 9mm pistol and you'll be doing better.

The intention was really exactly that: An entirely new cartridge and firearm, designed so that it could take the advantage of high velocity saboted armor piercing rounds as well as large and heavy FMJs.

Your "10x25 with a saboted M993 7.62x51mm AP bullet as the projectile" comment had me thinking that you intended to use an existing case loaded with an existing bullet. Researching it further, this particular combination seems pretty far from practical. Seated to a depth where the bullet does not exceed the 10x25mm's maximum OAL of 1.26", the M993 bullet with sabot would probably not leave enough room for even a decent subsonic powder charge.

You would have to either A) increase the cartridge's OAL to allow room for a powder charge, which would be precluded by the depth of a semi-automatic pistol's through-grip magazine, or B) you would have to use a much smaller bullet, say one of .224 caliber. Considering our discussion so far, the 5.56mm M995 bullet would be the obvious choice. The .224 BOZ is the contemporary solution to a load like that, getting about 2,200 fps from a Glock 20, apparently.

However, considering good old-fashioned AP loads like the one listed here, I think a sabot load for a handgun is a waste of time. If you were to devise a 100 grain, steel-cored bullet in .400", you could probably acheive your goal, no need for a sabot at all. Another option would be to use Flatau's tubular AP bullet design. Either way, the 10mm Auto case is designed to handle serious pressure. I think it would be possible to get 1,900+ fps out of a 10mm USP Tactical with a load like that without a lot of effort. Alliant lists a 135 grain load for the 10mm Auto at 1,530 fps.
Austere Emancipator
Can't help it, the penetration claims of the GSh-18 seem like BS to me. Even assuming that upon hitting something hard the core (however large that is) cleanly separates, but retains almost all of the kinetic energy, a 65gr steel projectile at 1,900fps outperforming a 7.62mm 148gr FMJ at 2,750fps by a huge margin doesn't sound very credible.

Do you really believe that a 1-1.5mm reduction in diameter and the switch from FMJ to hardened steel construction would overcome the five-fold difference in kinetic energy that easily?

As for the 10x25 and M993, I really shouldn't have used RL calibers and cartridges as examples. All I was really going for is the possibility of using as effective armor piercing ammunition as possible, whatever that would be, in any pistol design, real or fictious, that can also take advantage of the large-caliber, heavy bullets like I mentioned.

The .224 BOZ seems interesting as an idea, but I'd really like to see whether you could do that by simply saboting the round into a normal 10mm cartridge, since the point was for it to not require any modification to the weapon. Is there some reason why it would work less well as a sabot than as a whole new necked down caliber?

While a simple steel-cored bullet might work rather decently right now against soft body armor at least, my concerns reach at least 30+ years into the future, where it seems to me that body armor would be much better off against conventional small arms ammunition, relative to the situation now. To counter that advantage, you'd need ammunition types that penetrate not just pretty well but exceedingly well by current standards, which is why I was pushing a SLAP originally. The higher cost is the only real disadvantage I can think of over something like full-diameter steel-cored bullets, but penetration should be significantly better.

It certainly doesn't have to be a SLAP. There might be a lot of new advances in small arms projectile technology coming up in the next 30 years, and any of those that have to do with penetration specifically might be applicable. I'm trying to read through the patent, but it's slow going...
Raygun
Can't help it, the penetration claims of the GSh-18 seem like BS to me. Even assuming that upon hitting something hard the core (however large that is) cleanly separates, but retains almost all of the kinetic energy, a 65gr steel projectile at 1,900fps outperforming a 7.62mm 148gr FMJ at 2,750fps by a huge margin doesn't sound very credible.

Do you really believe that a 1-1.5mm reduction in diameter and the switch from FMJ to hardened steel construction would overcome the five-fold difference in kinetic energy that easily?

Bullet construction is very important when dealing with armor penetration. NIJ Level III is not classified to protect against AP threats, period. At this level, bullets are still stopped because they are forced to deform against the vest material, increasing their surface area, which allows the vest material to better absorb and displace energy. Obviously, if the bullet doesn't deform and has a particularly pointed or sharp leading edge, it makes the job much more difficult.

I don't know all there is to know about this 9x19mm PBP ammunition, but it certainly seems possible that it can outperform a 7.62x51mm M80 FMJ in terms of armor penetration. The 7.62x51mm M993 AP will outperform both of them, defeating even NIJ Level IV armor, IIRC.

The .224 BOZ seems interesting as an idea, but I'd really like to see whether you could do that by simply saboting the round into a normal 10mm cartridge, since the point was for it to not require any modification to the weapon. Is there some reason why it would work less well as a sabot than as a whole new necked down caliber?

Yes. Sabots take up more powder space than a bullet by itself would, which in the end translates to either less velocity or more pressure. Sabots can also have a deleterious effect on accuracy, but if the weapon is designed around the load, that should be relatively easy to work out. It would be more of an ammunition quality control issue than anything else.

While a simple steel-cored bullet might work rather decently right now against soft body armor at least, my concerns reach at least 30+ years into the future, where it seems to me that body armor would be much better off against conventional small arms ammunition, relative to the situation now.

If that's the case, then you can forget about handgun AP loads entirely, which is pretty much what everyone has already done (except the Russians).

To counter that advantage, you'd need ammunition types that penetrate not just pretty well but exceedingly well by current standards, which is why I was pushing a SLAP originally. The higher cost is the only real disadvantage I can think of over something like full-diameter steel-cored bullets, but penetration should be significantly better. ... I'm trying to read through the patent, but it's slow going...

It depends on what the penetrator is made of. If you didn't already, think about a tungsten carbide version of that Flatau bullet I linked to above. Installing Alternatiff and viewing the patent images will give you a better idea, I think.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
At this level, bullets are still stopped because they are forced to deform against the vest material, increasing their surface area, which allows the vest material to better absorb and displace energy.
OK. I've never seen pictures of rifle FMJ rounds recovered from those vests, so I have no idea how much they deform. So, there's still a huge leap between the single-shot protection value of a level III and a level IV vest.

QUOTE (Raygun)
The 7.62x51mm M993 AP will outperform both of them, defeating even NIJ Level IV armor, IIRC.

That's interesting. I could find a few other places mentioning that new AP rounds with tungsten cores could penetrate level IV armor. It certainly shows the superiority of the new construction type, if a 127gr bullet at 2950fps can do what a 166gr at 2850fps could never dream of at the same diameter.

QUOTE (Raygun)
Sabots take up more powder space than a bullet by itself would, which in the end translates to either less velocity or more pressure.

I was thinking that this shouldn't be something you are absolutely stuck with? Compared to the necked down cartridge, there shouldn't be any loss of powder if you design the sabot so that it doesn't actually surround the whole penetrator at the same diameter. At the rear end of the penetrator, it could simply conform as closely to it as possibly, its only function to keep the sabot in place. The sabot could increase to full diameter only at the point where the case is crimped, and the full diameter part could actually be rather short, as long as the projectile will stay in place in the cartridge (no problem when caseless, I would imagine) and whatever requirements ballistics cause.

Would the sabot have to be long to ensure sufficient rotation? Or something else?

QUOTE (Raygun)
If that's the case, then you can forget about handgun AP loads entirely, which is pretty much what everyone has already done (except the Russians).

I figured that anything that can penetrate any soft body armor by a clear margin now just might be capable of that in 10 years. Anything that can penetrate level III now is, in fact, pretty likely to penetrate most soft body armor still then and longer.

One main reason why I started thinking about this is the potential full protection of a soldier, mostly against fragmentation but effectively against many handguns as well, allowed by certain new and upcoming discoveries such as the Shear-Thickening Fluids/Liquids. The articles about that one even said that, combined with a rather thin layer of soft body armor, it could be used to protect the limbs and other spots which require mobility.

If 30 years from now every (western) soldier is effectively protected against anything up to 9mmP FMJs, or possibly much more than that, then something has to be done about the way we think of handguns and SMGs or they'll soon be faced with obsolescence in all militaries. And I somehow doubt that will happen, because of the requirements of some units, as well as the possibility of using technology that will certainly be developed for police and other non-military outfits in the (near-)future.

I got too tired to try and make sense of the patent last night, I'll have another go at it soon...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012