Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral stregnth
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Joker9125
ok heres the situation lets say you are an astrally projecting mage with a charisma of 5 which means you have a stregnth of 5 on the astral. Now you happen to come across some unconcious dual natured critter.

Could you pick it up and move it? Are their any rules for this type of thing? If so where are they?
BitBasher
No. Astral forms have no mass. You can damage the dual critter with astral attack but if you force your arms to move as if you were picking it up your arms will pass through it forcing an aural intersection. I don't think I just used the right term, but it means you resist damage.

Purely astral forms basically have no mass, and having no mass means you cannot exert force on anything physical.
Kanada Ten
The only thing I can think of would be Possession or a Control manipulation.
BitBasher
The control manipulation would have to be mana based, if levitate person would work on the target then I would think you could move a dual natured target with it while you are projecting.
Joker9125
Ok so if i cast levitate on him he would be effictively weightless so could i effective "push" said creature?
Herald of Verjigorm
If you get a mana type levitate spell, you can move your target that way.
Joker9125
ok so no I caint push him after I cast levitate. This is good cause im suprised no one has thought of FAB gloves yet. Think about it an astral form putting on physical gloves and hitting you at the speed of thought.
Frag-o Delux
Or the fab gloves tearing his arms off because of what Bit Basher said. Astral forms can not pick up or move physical things and the dual form passing through a astral form causes a battle between the 2.
Joker9125
right i am well aware of what bit basher said. I may not have been clear with my earlier post when i said

QUOTE (Joker9125)
ok so no I caint push him after I cast levitate. This is good cause im suprised no one has thought of FAB gloves yet.

What i meant was it is good that this is not possible
Frag-o Delux
Yes it is, cause then the Mage population in a lot fo peoples games would be the exact opposite of what is stated in the books. smile.gif
Joker9125
Yea. Im guilty of chronic mage playing. Is their some type of rehab center i can goto for help?
Dweller on the Threshold
Where are you coming up with the idea that an astral form lacks mass? Astral forms simply exist on the astral plane and purely physical objects have no effect on them whatsoever. The rules for Astral Constructs repeatedly state that items on the astral plane have all the normal properties of a physical object, and that includes weight.

Joker's idea for an astral form to move a dual-being's body around is pretty brilliant and a wonderful insight that I had never considered before, and by all indications in the rules it would work just fine as long as he had the astral Strength, defined by his Charisma while projecting as your Mentral Attributes do indeed become your Physical Attributes in that state, to lift and move the dual-being. The only problem is that while the astral form could slip through walls or move at the speed of thought, the dual-being it would be carrying restricts him from doing those things due to its presence on the physical plane.

It's a very neat idea with a lot of interesting possibilities. Thanks for sharing it, Joker9125!
Joker9125
Well I guess the idea of FAB gloves are back in! they would be rediciously expensive and only last a few hours but what the hey! Its still pretty awsome.

Unless someone can point to a page number stating that astral forms have no mass.

and can you please give a page number for this

The rules for Astral Constructs repeatedly state that items on the astral plane have all the normal properties of a physical object, and that includes weight.
Dweller on the Threshold
You can find it on page 100 of Target Awakened Lands. FAB Gloves would be a huge hindrance since they would have to be dual-natured to be effective, which by definition means they restrict you to physical actions. You wouldn't be able to move at super fast speeds, you wouldn't be able to move through walls, and anyone could see the gloves floating around.
Ancient History
FAB is not an astral construct. FAB gloves would be the equivalent in putting your hand in a FAB net and trying to pick it up (read: bad idea).
Frag-o Delux
I got the idea from reading a piece of fluff. I can't rememebr the book. A mage was caught in a FAB net and crushed to death. Surely a Chrisma of 3 (average person) would be able to hold up a net.

EDIT: And I think the speed of thought will be inhibated by the physical properties of the gloves. Moving at the speed f thought on the astral happens because the special properties of the astral plane.
Eyeless Blond
Even if it weren't for those particular rules, having astral objects be immobile wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense. The idea of having to fight everything you touch... ugh, it turns the astral plane into an old video game. nyahnyah.gif It would also mean that you couldn't use weapon foci in astral form, because attempting to move it would put you in combat with it.
Kanada Ten
Eyeless, what do you mean? When one projects the dual-natured weapon focus projects with him or her leaving behind its physical form. Having Dual-Natured objects be immobile to Astral Beings is canon (SR3, Astral Countermeasures, Guardian Vines, Awakened Ivy).

Astral Constructs are Dual-Natured and thus have physical properties.
Dweller on the Threshold
The rules for FAB Strain-II just reiterate the fact that this would work as described above. The airborne form of FAB-II is dual-natured, so it limits the movement of astral forms to the equivalence of physical speeds since they have to push the FAB out of their way as they pass through.

EDIT: Astral Constructs aren't dual-natured. They have no presence on the physical plane. I don't see anything about biofiber or guardian vines that says they're immovable. The only thing I see is that guardian vines have an astral form that can move independantly of their physical forms making them more like an astrally projecting mage than a real dual-being. Since biofiber is basically a wall, moving one around is as unlikely as moving around a real wall.
Kanada Ten
Yes they are or no mundane could visit one without an Astral Rift.

2062 - On January 2, In Chicago, Illinois, UCAS, the Sears Tower appears in its old location from sunup to sundown, when it just as mysteriously vanishes. Several people who have been exploring the building are reported to have been injured or killed. (Target: Awakened Lands)
Dweller on the Threshold
The rules for astral rifts are completely different from astral constructs.
Kanada Ten
Mundanes cannot interact with Astral Space without an Astral Rift or Portal. Thus they could not interact with an Astral Constuct unless it was Dual-Natured, which they are.
Dweller on the Threshold
Please read the rules in question. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, "I don't think those rules mean what you think they mean." They specifically state that they have no effect on the physical world.
Kanada Ten
They specifically state that they have no effect on the physical world.

2062 - On January 2, In Chicago, Illinois, UCAS, the Sears Tower appears in its old location from sunup to sundown, when it just as mysteriously vanishes. Several people who have been exploring the building are reported to have been injured or killed. (Target: Awakened Lands)

T:AL even talks about mundanes taking things from an Astral Construct. The spirit ruler must approve but it can be done. When the Construct disappears from the physical plane it leaves no trace - thus the 'has no effect on the physical world' statement. If they had no presence on the physical plane how could mundanes climb into them?
Dweller on the Threshold
Quoting that repeatedly doesn't change anything except that you've obviously confused astral shallows with astral constructs.
Kanada Ten
Wow, people can climb around Astral Shallows! Neat, here I though Shallows just made Astral Space visible.
Joker9125
here is what im talking about for a FAB glove. This is the basic construction layout

Layer of materal
FAB II
Layer of materal

having FAB packed tightly into a glove would mean you have a dual natured glove of sorts. When a projecting mage puts on the glove his astral form would push the astral form of the FAB and its physical form as well. But the materal of the glove would restrict the FAB from being pushed out of the way. This would allow the mage to wear a glove.

I understand that due to the laws of friction the gloves would literally disintegerate while moving at the speed of thought. But the real advantage would be when you hit a someone in the head going several hundred miles an hour. I dont know what the rules for this are but im pretty sure it WOULD kill them. and as for people seeing the gloves a glear glove materal and a an invisibility spell on the FAB itself would do the trick.............I think..........
Dweller on the Threshold
Well the only other thing that makes sense is that you're thinking of an astral construct that materializes, at which point it becomes dual-natured just like a spirit. Because in its natural state, an astral construct is most definitely not dual-natured. Just read the entry instead of getting defensive.
booklord
A lot of this astral-living object stuff comes from the information given in the Corporate Security Handbook. I'm not sure any of it is still valid. It was all 2nd
Edition and contradicts a lot of what is written in 3rd Edition books. ( There's also a section in the handbook about casting spells over a fiber-optic link. something that to my knowledge has never been repeated in 3rd Edition )

page 101 of Target:Awakened Lands
Clearly states you can stand on and pick up astral constructs.

page 161 of SR3
Auras created by living beings are intangible on the astral plane and astral entities pass right through them.
Astral forms cannot pass through another astral form.
Astral forms are solid and tangible on the astral plane.

So my answer is yes, astral beings can lift and move dual natured objects. ( Though as a GM I would prevent fast astral movement while lifting said objects. )
Kanada Ten
It will be about 4 hours before I get home. I only get offensive when people don't even make an effort to think about what I said but feel the need to correct me. smile.gif

And unless I really missed something Alchera = Astral Construct, correct? The quote comes from T:AL, so unless you didn't read it, you should know what they're talking about, correct? I will post the entire Astral Construct section when I've got the time and then we can break it apart if you like.
Joker9125
What am I thinking. How about just making an ally spirit and giving it the materilization form of a glove. It would be dual natured and physically present on both the physical and astral.
Kanada Ten
Joker, you might want to do a search for that, but I will ask you, if you were a spirit, how would you feel about being worn at all, much less as a glove? Second, once Materialized, the spirit is bound by physical space and cannot move at the speed of thought.

If you have an Ally or other spirit, why not just ask it to attack or move whatever you require?
booklord
What am I thinking. How about just making an ally spirit and giving it the materilization form of a glove. It would be dual natured and physically present on both the physical and astral.

Wouldn't that involve a +2 Target Modifier to manipulate physical objects that aren't dual natured? So yes using dual-natured gloves, you could pick up a gun and start shooting at an enemy, but the target modifier would cause all sorts of problems.

page 172 of SR3
Doing acompletely mundane task while using astral perception gives a +2 target modifier to the task.

But I'd say it would apply to mundane tasks by astral beings using dual-natured objects as well. It follows the spirit of the rule.
Ancient History
Oy vey.

Okay, let me get out the rulebooks:

An alchera is an astral construct, however unlike other astral constructs they can and do manifest physically at times. This is why you can go up in the Sears Towers but run right through a spirit just hanging out on the astral.
Target: Awakened Lands (p.113-114)

FAB is dual-natured bacteria that proves an astral barrier to astral entities.
Magic in the Shadows (p.90-91)

The heart of the problem. An astral traveler cannot pass through living material, which the FAB is, and is forced to the ground by gravity acting on the dual-natured bacteria, because the magician cannot move against the living bacteria and so goes down as it goes down.
Corporate Security Handbook (p.70, 103)

The Conclusion
If you accept the 2nd Edition logic of the CSH, then when you put on your dual-natured gloves you start sinking(gloves first) to the ground.

If you do not accept the 2nd Edition material, then you're basically trying to lift glove-shaped astral barriers...which doesn't work.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Joker, you might want to do a search for that, but I will ask you, if you were a spirit, how would you feel about being worn at all, much less as a glove? Second, once Materialized, the spirit is bound by physical space and cannot move at the speed of thought.

If you have an Ally or other spirit, why not just ask it to attack or move whatever you require?

QUOTE (booklord)
Wouldn't that involve a +2 Target Modifier to manipulate physical objects that aren't dual natured? So yes using dual-natured gloves, you could pick up a gun and start shooting at an enemy, but the target modifier would cause all sorts of problems.

page 172 of SR3
Doing acompletely mundane task while using astral perception gives a +2 target modifier to the task.

But I'd say it would apply to mundane tasks by astral beings using dual-natured objects as well. It follows the spirit of the rule.

Wow I never thought I'd actually have to quote myself

QUOTE (Joker9125)
I understand that due to the laws of friction the gloves would literally disintegerate while moving at the speed of thought. But the real advantage would be when you hit a someone in the head going several hundred miles an hour. I dont know what the rules for this are but im pretty sure it WOULD kill them. and as for people seeing the gloves a glear glove materal and a an invisibility spell on the FAB itself would do the trick.............I think..........

Im not talking about just moving things or weather or not the spirit would like it. Im saying two things. One even though you cannt move at astral speeds because whatever it is the glove is made of wolnt be able to withstand the friction from the air. Two whatever it is that the glove is made of should be able to withstand a couple of hundred miles an hour and that getting hit with it would be a REAL BITCH! it would probably kill any living thing with the exception of something like a great dragon.

QUOTE (Ancient History)
FAB is dual-natured bacteria that proves an astral barrier to astral entities.
Magic in the Shadows (p.90-91)

Correct no one is disputing that.

Oy vey.

Okay, let me get out the rulebooks:

The heart of the problem. An astral traveler cannot pass through living material, which the FAB is, and is forced to the ground by gravity acting on the dual-natured bacteria, because the magician cannot move against the living bacteria and so goes down as it goes down.

The Conclusion
If you accept the 2nd Edition logic of the CSH, then when you put on your dual-natured gloves you start sinking(gloves first) to the ground.

If you do not accept the 2nd Edition material, then you're basically trying to lift glove-shaped astral barriers...which doesn't work.

Oy vey

Let ME get out the rulebooks.

We are in 3RD edition....lemme check again....Yup still 3rd edition. Second edition logic dosent work here because Second Edition is Ancient History grinbig.gif.

And as long as the astral barrier isnt rooted to the ground or some other really heavy and immovable object their should be no problem moving it as long as it is light enough for you to lift with your astral stregnth
Dweller on the Threshold
As I pointed out earlier, astral constructs "have all the normal properties of their physical counterparts" and "behaves like a physical object in all ways" which includes weight and mass. You can stand on astral constructs. You can lift astral constructs. You can weild astral constructs as weapons against other astral forms as if they were physical weapons. Likewise, they are purely astral and do not affect any purely physical forms unless they somehow materialize, at which point they're treated as being dual-natured.

Also, Ancient History's last conclusion doesn't make any sense and there's no reference to it anywhere in anything he quoted or any of the rules for 3rd Edition that I'm aware of. The majority of astral barriers cannot be moved because they're anchored to a likewise unmovable physical object, such as most wards and biofiber. An astral form can no more move a wall or room than a physical person can.

I see no reason to suggest that an astral form with sufficient Strength cannot move a dual-natured being, let alone another astral form or construct. The dual-natured being exists on both planes, and the only limitation is that you can only move a dual-natured being at physical speeds, or in otherwords you're forbidden from using Fast Movement while trying to do so.

An astral being with a decent Strength shouldn't have any more problem picking up and moving a dual-natured being than a physical person with the same Strength would. The rules for astral constructs in particular support this view.
Kagetenshi
Though you cannot dispute that the idea of an astral mage being crushed into the ground by sinking astral bacteria is really friggin' cool.

~J
Omega Skip
Ok, let's assume for a second that purely astral forms do have mass and thus can transfer kinetic energy to dual natured forms. (Astrally projecting mage lifting up unconscious ghoul)

What happens when an astrally projecting mage tackles an astrally perceiving mage or a ghoul at the super-fabulous speed of thought? Let's just leave the glove out of the question for a second and focus on the interaction between purely astral and half-physical forms.

Imagine Slamwise the mage, doing an astral tackle on Ghoulum the hapless wannabee ghoul streetsam, at 6000 kph, or 5000 meters per combat turn. Let's use collision rules to calculate damage. Damage comes up 500D. 500D, that'd be easily enough to punch through the outer walls of the Arcology. Hey, there's a thought...

Imagine kamikaze attacks of astrally projecting mages agains biofiber walls. If they can transfer their kinetic energy into a dual natured wall... By the way, can spirits use fast astral speed? If so, the mage wouldn't even have to do the tackle himself! Yay!

Can you see why I think this is madness? The only way out of this mess is to conclude that purely astral forms have no mass, thus they don't have kinetic energy, thus they can't blow shit up - or move ghouls or gloves or whatever.
RedmondLarry
While I'm not weighing into the argument, I will point out that mass and kinetic energy have very little to do with lifting someone off the ground.

In terms of the game, I agree with Omega Skip. Astral Forms can't have anything like mass and kinetic energy if they can instantly move from "Fast" to "Slow" astral speeds and then back to "Fast" without their "body" falling apart.
Omega Skip
True, lifting stuff up doesn't require you to have mass IF you convert one form of energy into another, like for example lifting stuff with a pullley VS lifting stuff with an electromagnet; in one case, you use your own weight (and gravitational force, needing mass) to lift an object, while in the other case you use electromagnetic force to lift an object (which you don't need mass for). OurTeam's probably right, lifting someone with your hands is converting chemical energy into kinetic energy. Uh, but astral forms don't have a body, and also no muscles that could exert physical force... oooh, me getting dizzy.

Nonetheless, I ain't no physics wiz, so I might very well be wrong on this; it just seemed reasonable to me. Also, this whole force, mass, kinetic energy thing is leading off-topic - let's just say that the idea of having an astral form have mass is a bad one, and leave it at that.
Joker9125
QUOTE (OurTeam)
While I'm not weighing into the argument, I will point out that mass and kinetic energy have very little to do with lifting someone off the ground.

Correct about mass not having alot to do with lifting things

QUOTE (OurTeam)
In terms of the game, I agree with Omega Skip. Astral Forms can't have anything like mass and kinetic energy if they can instantly move from "Fast" to "Slow" astral speeds and then back to "Fast" without their "body" falling apart.

Actually Astral form can have mass and kinetic energy and still adhere to the laws of physics. They just caint have alot of mass. Take energy for example lets say a lightning bolt. The electrons that make up the lightning bolt have some mass and they make the transition from rest to the speed of light pretty damn quick and they dont desintegrate. Like when the lightning comes out from the cloud and hits something. Now what would happen if a lightning bolt hit you? Aside from probably killing you im willing to bet it would knock you back.

Ive always thought of astral forms as something like energy. While a physical form would burst into flames if it went at the speed of though astral forms have no problems with it.

Sorry if this is a little hard to follow its 3:30 A.M. and I seriously need to goto bed.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Omega Skip)
True, lifting stuff up doesn't require you to have mass IF you convert one form of energy into another, like for example lifting stuff with a pullley VS lifting stuff with an electromagnet; in one case, you use your own weight (and gravitational force, needing mass) to lift an object, while in the other case you use electromagnetic force to lift an object (which you don't need mass for). OurTeam's probably right, lifting someone with your hands is converting chemical energy into kinetic energy. Uh, but astral forms don't have a body, and also no muscles that could exert physical force... oooh, me getting dizzy.

Nonetheless, I ain't no physics wiz, so I might very well be wrong on this; it just seemed reasonable to me. Also, this whole force, mass, kinetic energy thing is leading off-topic - let's just say that the idea of having an astral form have mass is a bad one, and leave it at that.

Chemical energy isnt the only thing that can make kinetic energy. I think but all this talk about physics is making my head hurt. I wish some physics major would clear this wole mess about mass, weight, gravity, ect... affecting if you can lift something.

I agree this is a bit munchy but thats besides the point. I was just wondering if it was possible with cannon rules.
Lilt
I think that an astral mage can move a dual-natured creature. My contributing views to the matter are as follows:

The rules for melee combat are used on the astral. An astral mage using martial arts whilst in combat with a dual-natured creature could, in theory, perform the throw martial arts maneuver (amongst others), thus moving the dual-natured being.

Astral creatures can interact with astral constructs. They can pick them up, wield them, etc. This implies strongly that astral creatures can apply force on the astral.

Other Bits & Pieces:

How on earth was the mage crushed? Why didn't he fall through the floor or become disrupted by combat with whatever astral barrier was below him?

Dual natured objects and beings are odd. Astral beings can pass through astral barriers, but only if they're forced through. (but there are no hard and fast rules about what forcing through a barrier entails)

Another linked question I asked a while back was wether or not a dual creature could stand on an astral barrier.
toturi
Alchera are Astral Constructs with a Physical presence. It is specifically state so in T:AL. The appearance of the Sears Tower is not an Astral Shallow.
booklord

The Conclusion

The game data in the Corporate Security Handbook is directly contradicted by pg 161 of SR3 where it clearly stats that the auras created by living beings on the astral plane are intangible.

Shadowrun completely reworked magic when they went from 2nd to 3rd Edition. As a result sourcebooks that dealt with magic issues are completely useless.

1) Metamagic changed immensely. ( and IMO for the better )
2) I'm glad I had no Hougan players. The changeover would have been brutal.
3) Spirits can now apparently be hurt by indirect attacks like explosions. (I'm guessing that all the bugs in the Chicago nuke blast shouted "There's a tactical nuke in the hive! All true forms stop manifesting physically immediately!")
4) Nothing in shadowrun 3rd suggests that mages can cast spells over fiber-optic security cameras.
5) The entire astral beings can now pass through living things.
6) The Earth is now dual natured as an explanation why you can't astrally travel underground. ( A clever player could use that to cover their approach while doing some astral sneaking. )
7) Female Mantis spirits are no longer true form spirits with the human form power. ( This have it house ruled that all human form insect spirits , ones that maintain a completely human form and memories, are true forms with the human form power. It's just cooler. )

My best advice is to write out house rules if you want to incorporate some elements of 2nd Edition then hide the offending 2nd Edition sourcebooks involving magic. The rules and concepts within them are no longer valid and can confuse players.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (booklord)
4) Nothing in shadowrun 3rd suggests that mages can cast spells over fiber-optic security cameras.

SOTA: 2063
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (booklord @ May 14 2004, 09:59 AM)

SOTA: 2063

page 91
It's under the section entitled: Fiberoptic Observation Network
booklord
I stand corrected.
Ancient History
Y'know I try. I really do. So let me say this:

1) If you want to have FAB gloves work, fine. It's your game. Just never ever play in my game.

2) There seems to be some confusion about certain subjects. Let us go over them. Here begins the Quoting:

And as long as the astral barrier isnt rooted to the ground or some other really heavy and immovable object their should be no problem moving it as long as it is light enough for you to lift with your astral stregnth

The majority of astral barriers cannot be moved because they're anchored to a likewise unmovable physical object, such as most wards and biofiber. An astral form can no more move a wall or room than a physical person can.

This is incorrect. There is no proof that a magician projecting in the astral can physically move any barrier no matter what size, shape, mass, or material. I could fill a giant soap bubble with FAB and a magician would not be able to move through it, but they may also not be able to move it.

As I pointed out earlier, astral constructs "have all the normal properties of their physical counterparts" and "behaves like a physical object in all ways" which includes weight and mass. You can stand on astral constructs. You can lift astral constructs. You can weild astral constructs as weapons against other astral forms as if they were physical weapons. Likewise, they are purely astral and do not affect any purely physical forms unless they somehow materialize, at which point they're treated as being dual-natured.

Yes. However, we're not talking about astral constructs, we're talking FAB, which a dual-natured bacteria.

I see no reason to suggest that an astral form with sufficient Strength cannot move a dual-natured being, let alone another astral form or construct. The dual-natured being exists on both planes, and the only limitation is that you can only move a dual-natured being at physical speeds, or in otherwords you're forbidden from using Fast Movement while trying to do so.

Furthermore, we're talking about moving a physical object connected to a dual-natured critter. You can attack a dual-natured critter from the astral, but this does not mean the attack is in any sense physical.

The game data in the Corporate Security Handbook is directly contradicted by pg 161 of SR3 where it clearly stats that the auras created by living beings on the astral plane are intangible.

I only referenced the CSH because when you talk about FAB, someone mentions netguns and the like. Beyond that, this adds nada to the arguement because dual-natured critters are present on both the physical and the astral--we're not talking tangible auras. If you mentioned it just to prove the CSH is out-of-date, well, shit, we all knew that.

3) I'm not quoting the physics people. I have some information which would make them feel a little better, but it's rather dated.
Dweller on the Threshold
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 14 2004, 10:03 AM)
1) If you want to have FAB gloves work, fine. It's your game. Just never ever play in my game.

I wasn't aware anyone was asking to play in your game. However if it makes you feel any better, on one hand I do think the idea of FAB gloves are silly. But on the other I do like the idea of an astrally projecting character moving a dual-natured being around. I see a lot of interesting stories that could come from that, not to mention giving astrally projecting magicians a few more options. As it stands, astral projection has few uses outside of reconnaissance.

This is incorrect. There is no proof that a magician projecting in the astral can physically move any barrier no matter what size, shape, mass, or material. I could fill a giant soap bubble with FAB and a magician would not be able to move through it, but they may also not be able to move it.

Actually the rules for FAB strain-II suggest otherwise in both respects. An astrally projecting character can freely move through a cloud of FAB, and doing so creates an empty spot where the FAB isn't present because the character has displaced it. Such characters cannot employ Fast Movement because the FAB, while both dual-natured and obviously movable, is still limited by the speed of the physical plane.

Yes. However, we're not talking about astral constructs, we're talking FAB, which a dual-natured bacteria.

Astral constructs are completely relevant, and far more relevant than many of the things you've been quoting from outdated source material. Astral constructs, clearly and without any misunderstandings, have all of the characteristics of physical objects. Mass and weight are amongst those characteristics, and deny it as much as you like, that's far more canon for 3rd Edition than anything you'll find in the Corporate Security Handbook.

Simply because astral forms can travel at mind-boggling speeds, or that huge amounts of kinetic energy don't convert from one plane to another, that doesn't mean they don't mass relative to that plane. Every purely astral form that has the ability to materilize on the physical plane carries mass over in the conversion. It certainly doesn't gain it from nowhere, so it obviously had it to begin with. It just didn't mean a whole lot on the astral plane where the laws of physics are completely different.

On a side note, the whole FAB net thing doesn't make a lot of sense, at least in 3rd Edition. An astral form could easily just disappear through the floor or wall, even Mother Earth, without any problem even if the rules did state that an astral form couldn't move or manipulate the net, which they don't. The only way such a weapon would be useful for capturing an astral form is if you used it in a warded room, and even then the character could attempt to destroy either the net or the ward to get away.

Furthermore, we're talking about moving a physical object connected to a dual-natured critter. You can attack a dual-natured critter from the astral, but this does not mean the attack is in any sense physical.

As Lilt pointed out, it certainly does. You're free to use any and all of your combat maneuvers while fighting on the astral plane, including the Throw maneuver.

On a final note, astral forms and astrally projecting magicians do have Body, Quickness, and Strength ratings. Yes, they're derived from mental attributes, but that doesn't change the fact that they still have those characteristics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012