Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Cynthia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1500 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

Probus and Sons occupies the 16th and 17th floors of the ConRam building in the Downtown district. The first six floors of the building is a large parking garage. You can park in the public area inside the garage for 10Y or outside in one of the nearby public lots for 3Y an hour, payable in advance.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #516

Cynthia stays outside in a nearby parking lot. It doesn't change anything as far as noise is concerned, and the less traces there are, the better. Maybe she'll need to get in later, but she'll see. Once there, she goes into VR, and starts to look into the area. Given the obvious standing of Probus and Sons, she believes there is a Host, probably a decent one even. But hopefully, it's not that important.

The main question would be "Are the files she's looking for on the Host, or are they hidden on some 'link?". There are probably two sets of plans: the "public" one, and the one with the extensive underground structure. For now, she'll go with the Host. At least, she knows where it is...

Just before she goes in, she sends a new message to Roger, just to add another layer of deception, "in case" something went wrong >>Didn't see you at the Digital earlier, let me know when you want to meet again.<<

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Oh and since I'm there, I'll take 2 in Spanish and 2 in Japanese too. With that, I'll get a pool of 8, so 2 auto successes, which means she'll be able to understand complex subjects.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1505 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

Getting acess to the Host is easier than you had assumed as there is an open invite for anyone interested in doing business with the various clients in the building. All you need to do is use the host directory and do the matrix equivalent of pushing a buzzer to gain admittance. Of course, you could always try the hard way and break..........er, sneak in. Which would you prefer to do?

To complicate matters, you do get a response to your message. >>Hey, yeah, sorry about that. I was tied up and did not have access to my 'link for a bit today. I had to replace it and just got everything sorted again. I would like to meet. Are you available for dinner?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #518

Cynthia swears loudly and profusely in her car. That was so not what she hoped for... She sends a message to Tanya >>I just got a message from Roger, he wants to meet for diner. Whatever the plan was for this morning, it looks like it didn't go right...<<

To Roger she answers >>Hum, I have plans in the evening. Where and when would that be?<<

Concerning the Host, if they are nice enough to allow her entry, she takes them on their offer (with a nice generic persona). Once inside, she doesn't do anything illegal at first. Instead, she checks the architecture of the Host, to get an idea of where the files she's interested in are, what devices are slaved to the Host (cameras, elevators, etc), that she could connect directly too, and the level of the Host. Odds are that even if the public version of the plans is available, it wouldn't be the case for the secret one, if it's even in this Host. Which means, she would need to do a deep run...

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM): 16d6t5 8 limit is 6
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1506 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The response from Tanya is pretty immediate. >>Let me check.<< Less than a minute later she comes back. >>I am not getting a response from the people that picked him up this morning, which is not good. I will have someone check it out, but for the time being, I think we should assume that he has escaped. Be very cautious.<<

Roger gets back to you quickly as well. >>We could do a late dinner if you are free at, say, 2000. Or we could meet in the morning. Which works better for you?<<

The lobby of the host does have several security devices scattered about and you can certainly assume that the bank of elevators is tied to the host. Stepping in one, you are almost instantly whisked away to the office lobby of Probus and Sons. A pretty secretary sits behind a desk across the lobby and smiles at you as you leave the elevator. "How may I assist you today?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #518

To Tanya: >>He wants to meet for dinner at 2000.<<

To Roger: >>2000? Might be possible, I'm not sure. When do you need an answer before it becomes to late to change your plans?<<

Since the elevators are tied to the Host, Cytnhia puts three marks on them. It's pretty easy to do, and since they are slaved to the Host, she now has three marks on the Host itself too. Now, the only thing she needs is to find the files she's interested in. To the Secretary, she answers "Hi. I'm a... I'd like too... That is... I'd like to become an architect too." And while she does that, she edit the files from the cameras, so that she appears to be someone else.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Hum, I didn't plan to get in the elevator :o
Anyway, a few rolls:
Hack on the fly: 3#16d6t5 9 2 7 Limit is 6.
I suppose an elevator like that has a device rating of 2, so it's defence rolls are:
Elevator defence: 3#4d6t5 4 1 0
Which means 1) I have three marks on the elevator, 2) I have three marks on the Host, 3) I'm considered as being directly connected to everything slaved to the Host

Now to edit the video file from the cameras, to switch Cynthia's image with someone else (a redhead that roughly looks like her, but isn't her). I'm assuming I'll have to get three cameras, should be enough:
Edit File: 12d6t5 10 limit is 6.

And finally, trying to find the files she's interested in:
Matrix (+2 TM): 14d6t5 4
Mercy
OOC: If you do not get in the elevator, you are not going to the section for Probus and Sons and cannot talk to the secretary.
Imladir
~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Its alright, not what I planned, but I can roll with it, especially if it avoids editing some messages to change stuff.
Mercy
OOC:

The elevator is slaved to the host and its defense is actually 13d6 for device rating and firewall. Resist Hack on the Fly: 3#13d6t5 2 3 3 You still get two marks

The editing is a bit trickier than you had thought. Resist Edit: 13d6t5 4 Still you are able to edit the video file, but this is something that you will need to do once every combat round to maintain the ruse.

Do you wish to try for the third mark or proceed?
Imladir
~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

13? For the resist edit, probably, but for the elevator I have a doubt: since I'm directly connected to it, it only gets its device rating + firewall (and given that it's an elevator, I suppose it's DRx2) with no help at all from the Host. Plus, any mark I get on a slaved device gets me a mark on the Host itself: that's why direct connect to.a slaved device is interesting.

Good point for the edit file, I'll use the Editor complex form then: I can sustain it that way, and not have to reroll every turn.
Editor [5] (Threading, Fade): 12d6t5 4 13d6t5 4
It's resisted by Intuition + Data Processing instead of Intuition + Firewall, but in case it still get a 4 successes, I spend a point of edge:
Edge (Editor): 8d6t5 5 Limit is 6
Mercy
How are you direct connected to it? It is a matrix object and you are outside the physical building. Does not that make everything inside the host part of the host and so gets the benefit?
Imladir
~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~

I was working under the assumption that I was in the elevator like you supposed at first. Now, if I'm not (which was my intention, I'll edit my last IC post), Then of course the defence roll can be 13d. I don't need to hack the cameras then.

And of course, since I'm not in the elevator I can be in VR, which means my rolls are a bit different. And since the Host "offers" the first Mark, I only (potentially) need two more, not three:
Hack on the fly (+2VR): 2#18d6t5 6 9 (limit is still 6)
Mercy
Alright. I had thought that you were doing this from your car. But yes, you get your marks and can ride the matrix elevator to the Probus and Sons level.

[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1507 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The receptionist blinks a bit and says, "Well, that is a new question, I have to admit. Why don't you take a seat and I will see who is available to see you." She smiles at you and points to a couch sitting against the wall and taps her headset before speaking softly into it. She looks up at you. "Mr. Probus will be right out to talk to you, Miss."
Imladir
~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Erm, I'm confused...

At first, I intended to do this from my car (or some nearby place), but you said I took the elevator and met the receptionist.
Then I said that was not the plan, but I was fine with it.
Then there's a small rewind with which I'm cool, I'm not in the elevator but in my car (which allows me to do this in VR)
And now I'm back in front of the receptionist?

I don't mind one or the other, but if it keeps changing it's confusing ^^

So just to be clear: I intended to do that from my car. I'm ready to do it from the elevator, meet the receptionist and so on, especially if I think the hack would be easier.
I just need to know which it is smile.gif
Mercy
OOC: From what I can tell, you wanted to stay in the car. The host looks just like the physical building and you need to take the matrix elevator to the floor to see the receptionist. Am I doing this all wrong?
Imladir
~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Haaaaaaan... My bad, I thought you were talking about the meat world elevator, as well as the meat world receptionist, hence the confusion... So no no, it's alright, my fault I misunderstood.

I'll put a new message to get things clear if that's alright.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #519

Having parked her car in the street not too far from the building housing Probus and Sons Architecture, Cynthia slips into VR. She takes care to change her Persona, taking the appearance of a normal generic Persona, before going to snif around her target.

There, she's pleased to notice that the Host is offering the first Mark to anyone that would ask, something that always makes things easier, and something she accepts. She's a bit surprised when, entering in the Host, she's wisked away by an elevator. She takes advantage of that time however to add two more Marks on the Host: not something she absolutely needs, but it may make things a hell of a lot easier.

Then, just as the elevator opens, she slips into silent mode: it wouldn't do to get tied into the local traffic, she has much better to do after all. Once in there, she looks around, trying to get a feel of the Host, what is going in there, and where she's more likely to find the stuff she's interested in.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

So, hope it's alright now, sorry for the misunderstanding.
A reminder of the rolls done already:
Hack on the fly (+2VR): 2#18d6t5 6 9 (limit is still 6), the Host defended with 2 and 3 successes, so I have my three marks.
Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM): 16d6t5 8 limit is 6, to see if there's a spider active in there, and maybe get an idea of where to look to get the files I'm interested in.

And I'll add a FAQ usage:
FAQ [6] (Threading): 12d6t5 3, I auto resist the Fade (It would be 3S, I have 13d)
Computer + Intuition (+2VR, +3 FAQ): 17d6t5 4

I'm not looking for long forgotten stuff, but mostly to find if there are hints of two sets of plans on the G towers (and possibly other projects), who would access those, etc. So basically, stuff hidden from the normal employees of Probus and Sons Architecture.
Of course, if the files are not in use right now, I can't copy them (I can't even access them in fact), I'd need either to have someone (legitimate) ask for them, or make a deep run in the Host (aka go into the Foundation of the Host).

As a reminder for FAQ:
Scanning the very darkest depths of the Matrix to find out exactly what has been going on with the device they physically have or the host they are current inside of, the technomancer is able to delve into the very deepest questions to find out the true purpose of it. Make an immediate Computer + Intuition [Level] Test with Level / 2 (rounded up) dice added to the pool from the complex form . Gamemasters should provide information to the player based on the number of hits this test generates, with truly obscure or long-forgotten bytes of information requiring 6 hits.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1510 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

Your Matrix Perception test reveals that there is indeed an active spider in the host, but it seems not to have noticed you as yet. You easily find the files of current and past projects that the firm has worked on, including the G Building, which seems to be their major project at the moment. You are in luck, sort of, as the plans for the building are currently in use by four employees in different sections of the office. The bad luck is that, while the designs that are being worked on bear no resemblance whatsoever to what you have seen, no one seems to be working on any variation of the blueprints available to you.

>>I was not going to stick around too much after 2000 if you cannot make it, but I will be at the Digital in the morning. Say 1000 again?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #520

>>Sure, I'll let you know.<<

To Tanya, she sends >>Roger wants to meet at the Digital tomorrow at ten. He's proposing diner before 2000, I think it's there but I'm not sure.<<

With so many "obligations" for the evening, Cynthia will avoid the deep-run for now. She'd have to prepare a bit more anyway, so it's not a big deal. Plus, there may be a way to get what she needs. First, she tries to identify the people currently working on the plans. Hopefully, one of them would be senior enough to request more files from the Host.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Perception (TM+2, VR+2, Silent -2): 14d6t5 6 to identify the working people
Hack on the fly (+2VR, -2 Silent): 4#16d6t5 7 6 7 6 (limit is 6) to hack said people and put a mark on each of them

I'll avoid it for now, but for reference, would you be open to making deep runs in the Foundations of Hosts?
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1515 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>He is a cocky git, that one. He might be testing you and he is apparently quite dangerous. I have found out that he killed two people in his escape earlier. Please be careful accepting any invitations. Let me know if you decide to meet him and I will get something organized to protect you and try to take him in again.<<

One of the four people is Andrew Probus, the youngest of the three sons indicated by the name of the firm. The others are all involved in the project in some way. You can mark all of them.

OOC: I will have to read up on Foundations.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #521

>>Err... Maybe I should go to Bogota sooner rather than later... Do you have news about the clinic?<<

She focuses on Andrew's 'link, trying to see what's there. She's mostly interested in hidden plans of the building of course, but doesn't believe she will find them that easily. But it doesn't cost much to see what's there: she might get lucky, and it could help her at a later time.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Alright smile.gif
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1520 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>Perhaps, indeed. Should I begin making some arrangements or do you prefer to do all of that on your own?<<

As expected, you do not find any hidden plans on his 'link, but you do find out that Andrew is very involved with a young socialite woman by the name of Katherine Woods. The two spend quite a bit of time chatting and texting during the day.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #522

>>Well I could plan that by myself, but any help is welcome. I learned a bit of Spanish to prepare that, but I do.t want to go there by myself. Though I'd really like to get the clinic stuff done before, it could really help once there.<<

Cynthia looks a bit at what the two of them are talking about, but she will probably have him request the files from the Host.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1522 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>I will see what I can get rolling for you. And there is good news on the clinic issue. I can get you an appointment for Friday morning. Depending on what they have to do to you and how easily you body accepts what is being done will certainly affect your recovery time. Do you want the appointment?<<

Andrew and his girlfriend are quite gifted in the way that talk about sex, which they apparently just cannot get enough of. It also appears that Andrew has recently been trying to get Katherine to agree to a threesome. By her responses to his ideas, Miss Woods is not quite sold on the concept yet, but she is bending, provided he can find the right girl. Apparently, the "right girl' would be someone who can keep her mouth shut about the relationship so that her parents do not hear about it.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #523

>>Friday? Yes, that would be awesome. Maybe that way I'll be able to get to Bogotá Monday or something.

Speaking of Bogotá...err...related stuff... I may have found something right up your alley. I've been looking at Probus and Sons Architecture, the firm that designed the Goldstein building to see if I could find the unofficial set of plans. Which... Well, I didn't. Yet anyway.

But one of the sons - Andrew is his name - has a girlfriend called Katherine Woods. They're looking to add some spice in their sex life by introducing another girl. I wonder why it's always a girl and never a man... Anyway, Katherine could be convinced, but they didn't yet find the right girl. Who would mainly be someone who knows the importance of discretion. Apparently Miss Woods' parents don't know anything and they'd like to keep it that way.

Do you want to take it from here or shall I continue to dig myself into their Host's files? I'm not sure there'd be anything to find either way of course.<<

In parallel, she also sends a message to an armourer contact*, as Lauren, her fake identity. >>Hey Taylor. With stuff blowing right and left, I don't feel too safe, I thought maybe you could get me a few things. A full body armour would be nice, but I'm afraid it would be too visible. Plus I'd need a licence for that one from what I read. Instead I was thinking maybe Berwick Suit plus Ulysses Coat from Mortimer if you could get me that with the right sizes. Or stuff like that, I found the names in the catalogue, but it doesn't necessarily needs to be exactly that, even if from what I see Mortimer makes reasonably inconspicuous stuff. There'd be a full complement of options of course. Oh and a Victorinox Dagger - or maybe Sword? Not sure... - would be cool, those look like fun toys. You think you could get me those by hum, let say Sunday?<<

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

* The armourer in question is Taylor Whowood, Connection 3, Loyalty 1. Name can of course be changed for someone else if you prefer, I don't mind at all.
There wouldn't be anything illegal. The Victorinox stuff is restricted, but I already have the licence for concealed carry. One of the options on the armour would be restricted too, and probably the hardest thing to find (14R, Fresnel Fabric, R&G p84).

I've (finally) updated the sheet on OP with Cynthia's previous shopping.
Since I was there, I spent a few karma, to buy the Hacking [Persona] specialisation and raise Software from 6 to 7. It was about time to boost a bit my Complex Forms threading. It also improves my disarming and setting data bombs, but since it's something I never do, it doesn't really matter.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1524 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>Hmmmm. I know Connie and Jason Woods quite well and have met Katherine several times. Not a nice girl, in my humble opinion. Very....um....demanding, I would say. Jason is very involved in something I cannot quite put my finger on, and Connie is in it with him, whatever it is. I have just never really had the need to look deeper into them but perhaps I should. Unless you want to deal with this, I can try to dig up something. And to answer your question, it is not always another girl. I have been in a number of MFM situations in my time. I am not the expert on your skills or what the risk is, so I will leave it up to you to decide if you want to dig deeper into the files. I want you to stay safe.<<

>>Hey, Lauren, long time no hear. I can see you to that sort of stuff. Well, everything except the blades. I do know a guy who might have something, though. And if you want any of the good stuff on the clothes, you will need to come get them tailored for you. Can you come in tomorrow morning?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #524

To Tanya: >>Well, Katherine's boyfriend is one of the sons in "Probus and Sons", the architects who made the plans for the Goldstein building. Maybe they were "convinced" to do it by the Woods, blackmail or something? I'll look into them when I leave here, who knows... For now I'll try to get the files I'm looking for.<<

To Taylor: >>Alright. What time tomorrow morning? Is... 8 okay? Or 9 maybe?<<

Now Cynthia considers her options, to decide how best to proceed. She can't take too many risks, especially considering she's not even sure the files are in the Host. Well, they probably were at some point, but now? Probably deleted... Which means she has two choices: a deep run into the Host's foundation, or a trip into the Resonance Realms, to find this deleted piece of data.

Though there's something she can try first, even if it's a bit complex, and probably dangerous... Still, no pain, no gain. Before she acts though, she starts by planning every steps of what she's about to do.

1) Find some activists messages about the Goldstein building and the Archology, how bad it is, etc. Messages from a single group, with matrix skills.
2) Prep the Host by Hacking some files so that it will disseminate those messages when ordered too.

At least, that way, if (or more probably, when) the alarm is raised, her true objective won't be visible.

3) Mark the Spider.
4) The Spider, being effectively the "owner" of the Host (at least when patrolling) can then be made to request all versions of the plans, including unreferenced ones. Or maybe all the plans the firm worked since they took this job: the plans she wants may have been hidden under another title.

Hopefully, that will include the file she's interested in. But first things first: finding the right activist group and messages. As soon as she gets something decent, she plants the stuff in the correct file, to allow for its dispersion at large. Then, she looks in the direction of the Spider. Studying him for an instant, she tries to get an idea of how good he - or she - is.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Search (+2 VR, -2 Silent): 14d6t5 5
Edit File (+2 VR, -2 silent; file defence): 12d6t5 5 13d6t5 2, yeah, lucky, it worked first time smile.gif
Matrix Perception (TM+2, VR+2, Silent -2): 14d6t5 4 I'd like his Dat Processing and Firewall mainly, the rest is not too interesting.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1525 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>Connie Woods is related to the governor, which makes me suspicious of her in the first place, and Jason has some bloody dodgy business interests. It would not surprise me if they are involved to the eyeballs in what is going on. Hmmm, hang a mo.<< The line goes blank for a few seconds then she comes back on. >>Yes, as I thought. Connie and Jason are hosting a party tomorrow evening to raise some funds for the orphanage that is included in the Goldstein Building. I have an invite for one plus. Would you like to rub elbows with the rich and famous or would you have something else in mind to do with the time? Oh, and we are still on for tonight, right?<<

>>Lauren, dear. Let's make it 0900; you know I need my beauty rest.<<

You are able to find a file on groups that have spoken out against the Goldstein Building as just another Arcology, with all of the inherent problems of such a building. Editing the file is pretty much a piece of cake for you, although there is a tricky bit where you let your confidence almost be overconfidence. It is just as you finish the file edit that the elevator bings and the door opens to let a large man in a fancy suit and a German Shephard-sized dog exit onto your floor. They move like a security team and could be Patrol IC. The man walks past you, but the dog is clearly sniffing and seems to sense something before being commanded to heel by the guard. They spend a bit of time at the information desk then walk off into the offices to continue their sweep.

You do not immediately identify the Spider, so it is probably running silent. Your first Matrix Perception check can be used to determine that there are four icons running silent in the host.

OOC: I hope that I am not reading the matrix rules wrong. This is pretty new territory to me and I want to make it a challenge for you.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #525

To Tanya: >>I'm still planning to be at the 'shack near the warehouse by 2300 yeah. Well unless I meet Roger for dinner and get kidnapped or worse of course. I'm not sure I should get home to get a change of clothes and my reinforced vest though, I'll see.

As for tomorrow, you know that I have zero social skills right? And the people there are neither rich nor famous because they have interesting stuff to say... Plus, I doubt I'd get in in jeans and t-shirt... Though of course knowing where they are would make hacking their 'links easier.<<

To Taylor: "Ok, 9 it is."

Cynthia doesn't move while the IC walks in front of her. She may be able to distract it for a while, but that would require using some of her Technomancer skills. Somtething she would like to avoid in this particular Host, for doing so could lead to her in the end. She keeps an eye on it, but looks at the silent icons with interest. She may be looking for the Spider, but is curious to know what the three other icons are.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

That's fine by me smile.gif
Then a few perception rolls to identify the four icons running silent:
Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM, -2 Silent): 4#14d6t5 8 6 5 6, nice rolls. Limit is 6, as always.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1526 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>I would be very careful about meeting him for dinner. I have arranged some protection for you for tomorrow, but not tonight. You are a big girl and it is your call. I think you are undervaluing your social skills, but it sounds like you are a no for the party tomorrow night. I can go solo and see what I can find out. But, OUCH. I am rich and famous, so I do not have anything interesting to say?<<

You get a read on only three of the silent icons. #1: the expected spider. #2: Someone sitting in an office on the ground floor. #3: unknown. #4: a young boy moving through the air ducts of this very floor.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #526

Cynthia snorts "That's different. And are you really going to tell me that most people there have interesting things to say? Most women there are just bimbos brought for their looks with no more than two brain cells, if that, and men just want to parade with them. It's just a matter of appearances nothing to do with content." After a small pause, she adds "I told Roger earlier that I probably wouldn't be able to meet today, so I'll confirm that later then. Hu... There's someone sneaking in the ventilation of the building... Looks like I'm not the only one interested by Probus & Sons..."

Cynthia isn't really pleased to.see she doesn't manage to identify what the fourth icon is. In other circumstances, she.probably would try to hack it, as well as the second one, who probably is an employee. Or maybe the boss himself? But she came here with a goal, and until she has reached it, she can't deviate from it.

Still... Regarding the young boy... If she raises the alarm, he'll probably get caught. She should at least try to see if she wants to avoid that, or if she should try to avoid that result. Plus, who knows.... Cooperation might be best... To that effect, in order to know more, Cynthia starts by marking him, snooping at his communications if there are any, and tries to see what is going on there.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Hack on the fly (+2VR, -2 Silent): 16d6t5 7, limit of 6, marking the boy, resisted by Intuition + Firewall
Snoop (+2 VR, -2 Silent): 11d6t5 4 intercepting his communications, resisted by Logic + Firewall
Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM, -2 Silent): 14d6t5 8, limit of 6, resisted by Logic + Sleze, trying to find what's interesting on the boy's 'link, notably slaved stuff and something that would explain what he's doing here...
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1527 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>Hmmmm. You really should tell me someday what has you so down on people. You are certainly correct about some of the people that gather at functions like this, but there are far more that do have interesting things to say. If you like and want to let me, I can broaden your horizons a bit. Your choice. Be careful. Do you want me to hang on the line for a bit?<<

You mark the boy but your snoop gives you nothing, so you either did not do well enough or he is not communicating at the moment. In fact, he does not appear to have a 'link connected to the matrix.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #527

"Nah it's alright. At worst I'll do something that'll raise the alarm and he'll be the one in trouble. Plus he doesn't have a 'link so I can't talk to him. There's something of course - I wouldn't have seen him otherwise - but I don't know what.

He'll just have to hope I'm good enough to not raise the alarm..."

A bit surprised by the boy's situation, Cynthia nonetheless goes back to her own worries for now. Meaning, she stalks the Spider for a moment. For what she wants to do however, she cannot avoid using her Technomancer capacities. Which... Well, was something she hoped to avoid, but at least that way she'll be able to get what she wants... Hopefully.

Reaching out to the Resonance, she forms some tendrils to target the Spider, and make him request from the Host the plans the firm as been working on since they got the contract for the Goldstein Building. When he does, she changes the tendrils of Resonance to obfuscate said files, hoping the Spider will not be able to notice what he just did.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Just noticed that what I wanted to do doesn't work :o
I planned to use the Spoof Command on the Spider, but I cannot use it to command the Host. Which seems normal, but not nice. So... Enters one of the strengths of TM: doing stuff Deckers can't do...

So, Pupeeter, level 1 pre-edged (so no Fade, no limit):
Pupeeter [1]: 16d6h5 7, resisted by Willpower + Firewall, I need one net hit for the Spider to request the files (since it should be a free action, 2 if you consider it's a simple action instead)
Resonance Veil [6] (Hide files request): 15d6t5 6, resisted by Intuition + Data Processing, no Fade, the goal is to prevent the Spider from seeing the request and the files.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1528 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

>>Ciao, then. See you later tonight.<<

The Resonance responds to your ministrations as if you were a master of the craft. The spider begins to pull files, bringing them to his office in the matrix. The avatar of the boy drops from the ceiling into an office a couple of doors down and kneels in front of a safe, reaching hands out to begin fiddling the combination.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #528

Cynthia doesn't lose any time, copying every file pulled to her own 'link, dismissing them as soon as she's done: the longer it takes, the more risks there are after all. In each case however, she quickly scans the files, to check if there are extensive underground facilities.

In the meantime, she keeps an eye on the boy, curious to see how he will handle the safe.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

A small reminder if necessary, Cynthia has the quick reader quality.
Just to be sure, we're talking about a meat and flesh boy, and a physical safe, not something in the matrix? Is there a camera in the office where he is?
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1529 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

You are able to start copying files but each one takes time, some more than others. You have three files copied when you notice the spider sit up in his office. Suddenly your mark is erased and you see the Patrol IC returning in your general direction. The boy in the office pops open the door to the safe and reaches inside, bringing a file out. He whips his head around just as the door to the office he is in opens for the Patrol IC to look in. There is a flurry of activity as the guard lets the dog go and the boy just vanishes. The dog and guard move to where the boy had been and shuffle around a bit then the guard seems to get new instructions and returns to the hall with the dog, still approaching your location. There does not seem to be a camera in that office.

OOC: No, the boy is an avatar and is completely in the matrix, as is the safe he has just opened and removed a file from.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #529

Cynthia swears. That didn't go as planned. And odds are the file she wants is precisely the one that was in the safe. Which means she should try to find the boy... Since he's not in the Host anymore, she would have to leave it, but she can't exactly do it yet. She quickly removes the traces she left on the Spider, then leaves with what she obtained, removing the other marks she put since she's entered.

Outside the Host, she tries to find the boy again. She needs that file.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

I don't have a Mark on the Spider, so nothing for him to remove.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1533 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The Patrol IC is looking into every room it passes as it makes its way closer to your location. Each time it stops, the guard seems to make a thorough search of a room before returning to the corridor. You are able to get your cleaning done before he gets to you and you return to your body in the car.

You immediately recognize four things that do not seem right: you are sitting in the back seat, not the front; the barrel of a large caliber pistol is pressed against your temple; your wrists are bound with some form of restraints; and a girl is sitting in the driver's seat with her hands on the wheel and a length of cable leading from her neck to somewhere on the dashboard. You feel the pistol push against your head and a female voice says, "Awake, eh? Good. Now, I would like to believe that we can be friends, but I trust nothing that has to do with those people, so I hope you can understand if I am a bit suspicious of you. Talk to me, please, and convince me to let you go. Who are you and what were you doing there?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #530

Cynthia blinks a few times, focusing on the pistol, surprise filling her eyes. "Err... Who are these people you're talking about?

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Are the restraints electronics or just dumb things?
How many marks does Cynthia have on herself?
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1535 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The pressure of the gun barrel is removed as the woman brings the gun away from your head. She does not lower it, though, and you get a view of a very large pistol. The woman holding the gun is probably no older than you are. "Let me remind you that I am the one with the gun here, and I ask the questions, please. Who are you and what were you doing in the host?" The girl leans back against the far door and shakes her head and her hand holding the gun droops a bit. She recovers, but you recognize that she is in pain of some sort.

The restraints are simple zip ties and a quick check reveals no marks on you.

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #531

Cynthia snorts "You don't have to remind me you have a gun, I can see it just fine." she says sardonically "As for what I was doing in the Host, what do you think a Hacker does in that kind of situation? I was looking for proofs that the Goldstein building is a bad idea, something I didn't have time to do thanks to your acolyte I suppose. That was a piss poor job raising the alarm like that."

She shakes her head "You should probably just forget about me, leave my car and go take care of your wounds. And I'll... Try... To forget about you."

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

What are the icons in the car?
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1536 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The girl gives you a pained look. "Me set off alarms? I set off no alarms. It must have been you. I was forced to jack out because you were careless. That IC almost got me." She keeps her eyes on you then says, "Sandy, the beach."

The girl in the front seat nods her head and the car begins to move down the street.

The wireless icons of the car have been turned off
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #532

Cynthia laughs "I do not control the Host's IC, I'm pretty sure a Patrol IC is supposed to be patrolling. You were not as stealthy as you thought you were, nothing more."

She snorts, then shakes her head "So, will you please leave my car? Or explain to me what this is all about? And I mean now, not later."
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1537 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The girl driving your car does not look back as she says, "Suzee, she might be able to help. She was in there looking for something."

The girl with the gun, presumably Suzee, grimaces in pain again and nods her head. "Maybe, but.................hell, I don't know."

"Suzee, the rest are all dead or captured. We need help."

The gun girl looks at you again and places the gun in her lap. "OK. Maybe we are on the same side. There is funny stuff going on at that firm and we were after some paydata to prove it. What were you doing there?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #533

Cynthia cocks an eyebrow "I didn't expect you to be reasonable." she smiles lightly, then shrugs "But just so we understand one another..."

Cynthia gives the order to her car to park in the street, someplace with a lot of people, to lock the door, to shutdown, and only reboot in 15 minutes. And to ignore any other order given in the meantime. "I think you should hide your gun. And... Well, not draw attention to yourself, of course. It'd be a shame if KE arrived and found the owner of the car - meaning me - in that position, don't you think?"

She looks at the two of them, not really afraid now, and perfectly in control "That being said..."

She bites her bottom lip for an instant, then shrugs "Can't say you're exactly wrong to be honest, there is "weird stuff" going on here. A lot more than you probably think, and there are a lot of dead bodies turning up. So I'd advise you to drop the matter but considering that some of your friends are among them, I suppose you won't?" She looks outside for a second then shrugs "Fine, but before I even consider saying more, or helping you, you will untie me, get the fuck away from my seat, and stash this gun away. Oh and of course, you'll tell me what you got into. Then, maybe, I'll tell you some of what I know."

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Cynthia doesn't need the wireless to give orders to her car: with her Skinlink echo, she just needs to touch it to get a direct connection to it. And being the owner, she has all the Marks she needs for the car to execute said orders.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1540 - Probus and Sons Architechure, Seattle]

The car answers your commands and the girl in front swears. The one in back flicks her eyes forward then back to you, "Sandy?"

"Fragging car has no interface unit and she has taken control of the thing somehow, even with all the wireless turned off."

Suzee looks at you and her shoulders seem to slump. She brings out a knife and opens it and motions to your wrist ties. As she cuts the restraints she says, "Slide over to the passenger side, Sandy. Not much choice, it seems." She puts the gun in a holster at her hip and adds, "It's a long story, but we suspect that the Goldstein building is not what it is advertised to be. Just too many things that do not add up and we were looking into it. Then we started dying off. An accident here, on overdose there, a domestic dispute gone very wrong...................all very normal looking, but it seemed that we were definitely targeted. Took us a while to see the pattern and by that time there were only five of us left. Sandy and I think one of the others is a traitor and informant and if you are not the enemy, it would seem that we were right."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #534

Cynthia massages her wrists silently for a moment, time she takes considering what to say now. "Well, I don't know for now, but before all that kidnapping thing, I was indeed not the enemy."

She sighs "Though it's a shame really, so many troubles for so little data... You only got caught up at the fringe of what is going on..." she pauses with a grimace, then adds "If you have a traitor in your ranks, odds are it's someone who was recruited after your first investigations. The opposition has skills and a lot of resources. Think a lot as in Megacorp 'a lot'. It's not too difficult to recruit then. They're looking for people with...let's say flexible morals." she rubs her chin "Hardly news I guess, since said person sold you out... I can't help you much on that front though. I know who's doing the recruiting, but I'm trying to avoid his radar." she grimaces "Not that it works too well..."

She sighs, then asks "You took a file from Probus. Is it plans for the Goldstein Building, with extensive underground facilities?"
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2076, 1540 - Seattle]

"We were so sure that the Goldstein thing would lead to another Arcology disaster. Sandy and I met in a chat room with other like-minded people. Soon we were making waves and setting up protests. Small stuff, you know. Then one of our group said we should look harder, I think it was Roger, wasn't it Sandy? Anyway, we started to look deeper and did not like what we found. Have you been to the dig site? They advertise transparency, but no one is allowed close enough to actually see anything. "Safety concerns." You can get as far as the visitor's center and watch all of the construction from there. And going there in the matrix? There is some sort of field up around the place that is keeping the avatars away. It is really very painful to try to go past the barrier. Anyway, Mike had the idea of checking the physical stuff that was going in and coming out and we found that there was way more stuff going into the site than what would be explained by the public state of the construction, so I thought I would try to get a look at the blueprints and went looking. You saw what happened. I was doing so well, too, then it was like they knew I was there somehow. I know that I was very careful, but something went all wrong. I have not had a chance to look at the file I got, but it is not blueprints. Some sort of collection of communications, I think."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Probus and Sons Architecture, Seattle] #535

Cynthia sighs "I see. I can't say your problems will disappear tomorrow, but maybe it'll be a bit better." She shakes her head, then after a couple of seconds nods "You're not as stealthy as you thought you were. I saw you just fine while I was there. I managed to get the upper hand once on the...opposition... But it was a close call. So if I saw you, it's not a surprise they did too. There were four hidden icons on the Host at the time. Well five if I count myself in it. But there's one I didn't manage to identify plus an employee I suppose, but employees shouldn't run silent... Odds are one of them wasn't a friend."

She pauses, then after a moment shrugs "And to answer your question, yes, I peeked at the Goldstein building. Which is why I was here today. Send me a copy of your file, and I'll send you a copy of what I saw at the construction site."
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2076, 1541 - Seattle]

Suzee laughs softly. "I guess neither of us was as stealthy as we thought we were. How do you think I knew where to find your meat body? Maybe we can trade notes about that later." She looks a bit pensive then grins. "Alright, I guess I need to trust someone, at least outside my group, anyway. It seems that one of the rest of us is not as friendly as he or she would like us to believe. Here is the file I took." Your 'link pings with the sound of an arriving message and you see the file appear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012