Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Cynthia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1722 - Seattle

Sandy nods. "Yeah, blankets as some sort of padding it is, I guess. As soon as I get them all aboard I will drive to a 'Shack not too far away and get what I can. Perhaps some strapping tape, too, maybe. I will come up with something. A warehouse sounds good, but you are right about the security. At least before, there was always someone about to watch over them. Now it is just two of us and no one to watch if both go out. You don't have other friends, do you?"

She laughs. "The big toys are all for business. One has a nice sniper rifle and the other an assault rifle. Lots of APDS. What I could not get on my own, we had others help us. You might be surprised just how many people are opposed to this building. Some are really rather awful, if you know what I mean. But they were willing to up front some heavy stuff for us."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Seattle] #561

Cynthia snorts "Yeah, and they gave all that for the good of the people?" She shakes her head "Well, at least you got some nice toys out of it. Though we'll have to find more...tame...bullets. Like Stick-n-Shock. It does the job, and if it turns south, you're not wanted for murder..." She sighs and stays silent for a moment "I don't have friends to watch a warehouse no."

After that, Cynthia stays silent, performing some simple queries on the Matrix but nothing important, while waiting for the drones to arrive. Once they do, she helps Sandy get them into the van, and apply what protection they can from the nearest 'Shack.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1830 - Seattle

By the time you finish padding the drones as much as possible with the blankets from the Stuffer Shack, it is pretty late and Sandy offers to buy some food. It is soy burgers and caf and certainly does not taste at all like Sophie's cooking, but it is filling. Sandy takes a final bite of a burger and looks at you. "So, your place?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Seattle] #562

Cynthia munches her burger with clear disappointment. She used to not pay attention to what she ate, thanks in no small part to the Soy Processing Unit she has at home, but Sophie's cooking has spoiled her. Still, she has to eat, and does so, if not with pleasure.

Once she's done, she nods at Sandy's question. "Yeah. Capitol Hill. The goal is to make sure there's no one - or nothing - watching the apartment. And if there is... Well, it depends what it is I suppose. Probably nothing I'll be able to deal with though, it would be a mistake the people who would be doing it wouldn't make. So it'll be mostly on you I believe... And if there's nothing, I'll need ten minutes to grab some stuff and leave."
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1900 - Capital Hill -Seattle

Sandy parks the van on a side street and looks over at you. "I am going to side into one of my drones so try not to let something happen to my meat, please. Would you like to have a video feed of what I see?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #563

"Sure, I'm more familiar than you of the place after all. I might be able to notice something you wouldn't see. Just let me quickly check in the Matrix first."

Cynthia does so, and not seeing anything out of the ordinary, gets back meat-side "Alright, didn't see anything strange, but that's not surprising even if there were someone here so be careful."

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Perception (TM+2, VR+2): 16d6t5 1... Damn. Yeah, even if there were something running silent, no way I'm seeing them...

Cynthia watches the video stream to check for anything suspicious:
Electronic Warfare: 11d6t5 3 (Electronic Warfare instead of Perception since it's a video stream)

And Cynthia compares what she sees from the Matrix and on the video to normal activity (or the normal state of her apartment) to normal (or how she left it a few days ago):
Memory: 15d6t5 6
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1903 - Capital Hill -Seattle

Your overview of the matrix in the area does not show anything out of the ordinary, nor does the feed from the drone as it maneuvers around your house, as Sandy looks for a way in. The tiny drone finally discovers a minute hole in the wall of the building that allows it access and it slips inside to look around. Your rooms appear to be just as you left them..................no, wait. Not entirely. Something is out of order somewhere but you cannot quite put your finger on what, just something.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #564

When she feels the difference, Cynthia frowns >>There's something wrong.<< She pauses, then after a couple of seconds adds >>I don't know what, but there's something different...<<

She grumbles a bit >>Which means at the very least that someone came to my apartment. Now the question is Did he just look around, or did he left a gift on the way out?<<

She looks at the feed silently for a moment >>If I were the opposition, what would I do? There's nothing interesting to steal in there. Well except the SPU and it's too big to miss. Maybe they put some stealth tags on my clothes? Or maybe sensors? Do you have a tag eraser? I forgot to buy one...<<
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1905 - Capital Hill -Seattle

>>What is wrong? Anything you can see that is out of place?<< You see nothing really out of place as Sandy maneuvers the drone through your home. >>No bug eraser on this thing, and no hands to use it with if it did. Do you want to unstrap the sniper Roto Drone or the Bumblebee? I can send one or both out to stand overwatch with the Fly Spy I left there.<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #565

>>What!? No no, there's no need, I don't want to have a running battle... And I doubt you want to trash the van...<<

She pauses for a second, then continues >>I'm not even sure something's wrong. I think something's not right, but whatever it is, it's probably a detail, and not something too dangerous. Just to be sure, check the other exits of the building. I'll go in, and if you notice someone coming, tell me. Okay?<<

After a moment of silence, she seems to think about something better >>In fact, I'll call my car back. That way I'll arrive in it and leave in it. If everything goes right. Keep an eye on it and on me, but that way, the van - and you - will be safe and unknown. And let's hope I'm just paranoid for no reason. Speaking of paranoia... If there's something happening, it will probably involve a strong jamming field and offline stuff, so be careful.<<

Once agreed, Cynthia calls her car back and as a precaution, calls Al, her default Fault Sprite. When the car arrives, she gets in, and goes to park in front of her apartment. Once there, she gets to it, and opens the door. Cautiously, but not too worried anything dire will happen just yet.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Fault Sprite [6] (Compiling, Defense, Fade): 12d6t5 5 6d6t5 2 13d6t5 3
1S of Fade and 3 services, could have gone better, but still not too bad.
Mercy
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1907 - Capital Hill -Seattle

>>Got it. I will set a couple of drones to watch.<<

Your car pulls up next to the van and you slide into it, heading for your house. Pulling up, you notice nothing out of the ordinary and go in, the sprite hanging out in the resonance, waiting for instructions.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #566

>>Alright, I'm going in.<<

And Cynthia does so. She's cautious, looking around to try to understand where her strange feeling comes from - apart from paranoia that is - but otherwise moves purposefully: she has stuff to grab. Plus, the sooner she's out, the better it'll be.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Perception: 9d6t5 3, if needed.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1910 - Capital Hill -Seattle

As you enter the house, you just cannot shake the feeling that something is wrong. Once inside and walking around, the feeling grows to be that you are sure something is wrong. If only you could put your finger on it.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #567

Cynthia groans. The fact that she can't put her finger on the cause of this feeling is scaring her a little. But soon, she becomes angry instead, glaring at the furniture, and punching her couch. In her mind, she's even imagining a Mage puting a kind of spell to spook her.

She snorts. Yeah, as if. Paradoxically, she feels slightly better. Since a global search doesn't bear any fruits, she starts to, methodically, look room by room, to try and identify what is wrong. Thinking about something, she doesn't forget to look ahead, to the ceiling, the top of the shelves or the walls: it's something easily forgotten, maybe that's where...well...whatever that is going on is taking place...

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Perception, Memory: 9d6t5 1 15d6t5 5
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1930 - Capital Hill -Seattle

The search is basically fruitless............until you get to your bedroom. As you get started on your in-depth search you get a call. >>Hey, I don't know what you just did, but it had an effect. Three guys are headed your way from across the street. They are kitted out in black and carrying guns. You got a back door or something?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #568

Cynthia swears >>Yeah, I have windows. See anyone there?<< She grabs the bag in which is her weapon - dismantled - and her jacket. In there, she adds her running shoes, she missed those in the morning. No time to do much more than that... Good thing she only has t-shirts and jeans. Mostly anyway.

She gives the order to her door to lock and switch offline for an hour. Hopefully, that will buy her a bit of time. Then she quickly checks to see if the guys are online and sics Al to trash their stuff as soon as they are in front of her door if they are. She then looks more seriously around her bedroom, there has to be something there. If she does find the thing in question, she removes it - or trashes it with a Resonance Spike. After that, she puts two small sensor tags slaved to her 'link so that they can run silent, one with camera, the other with microphone: she hopes that when they don't find her, they'll talk among themselves which hopefully will allow her to learn a few things.

Done here she opens a window in the back. She checks to see if anyone's there, but hopes that they're so sure she's not aware of the incoming visit they didn't bother with more.

Then, she climbs down, ordering the window to close behind her. Let them wonder where and how she disappeared. Maybe that way she'll learn even more. Going down, she asks >>Did you see where they came from? You think you'll be able to follow when they leave? I got what I came for - mostly - but I hoped it would allow us to learn more...<< Her tone is...calm. She's obviously not taking a stroll in the park, but she doesn't seem really stressed by what is happening. Cautious and alert, certainly, but she seems able to keep her cool, and stay clear-headed.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

I made a few suppositions, first that I had multiple windows, and second that the windows are electronically controlled. Given that it's a Middle Lifestyle in 2075, I felt it was possible.

Matrix Perception (+2 TM): 15d6t5 6 to check if they are online (and maybe notice a device in her room?)
Perception: 9d6t5 1 to check for bad guys below. Hopefully Sandy will see them if there's anyone...

And to climb down:
Sneaking: 7d6t5 2
Gymnastics: 4d6t5 2 (I forgot a die, but it didn't get a success)
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1932 - Cynthia's House Capital Hill -Seattle

>>You should be clear in the back. The three guys are coming in quick and silent, so I would think not your average thugs with guns.<<

Your matrix check does indeed show that these guys are online and Al moves off to try to create a distraction for you. You also note a small camera on your bureau that must have been triggered by a motion sensor of some kind. Your spike is enough to disable it. By the time you place your tags, the guys out front go wireless dark and you hear a soft "whump" as your door blows inward. You are out the window and heading away from your house as Sandy contacts you. "Holy drek. There was some sort of confusion at the front door then it just blew in and now these guys are shooting up your bedroom. I can barely hear the reports so they must be using really good suppressors. Yes, I can try to follow them when they leave. Are you coming back to the van or do I need to move it to meet you somewhere?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #569

>>Those guys are probably the mercenaries who blew up half of Seattle in the past few days... Which means I really want to know where they're hiding out.<< As she walks, Cynthia keeps an eye on the feeds from her sensors and checks a map. She puts a ping in a nearby area, one she can reach without trouble while she "convinces" the cameras to ignore her. >>Meet me there following the highlighted path, cameras won't see us.<<

Frowning, she sends a small message to Tanya >>I'm not sure, but I think Roger knows that I know. Or suspects that I do. I went home, there was a camera there, as soon as I entered three goons came and are busy putting as many holes in my bedroom as they can. Good thing I'm not there anymore... But uh... How should I handle things with KE? I make a call or something?<<

Which reminds her... She sends a message to Eugene >>Hey, you should be careful, some goons tried to kill me at home, I think Roger may try to kill everyone on his list now. You should warn Sophie in case they try something there. And it's probably not safe for anyone to go back there...<<
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1935 - Cynthia's House Capital Hill -Seattle

>>Well, they are sure blowing the frag out of your house right now. They look pissed that you are not here. Uh oh, one of 'em just opened the window and found some sort of indication that you left that way. Tow of the guys are hotfooting it out of the window and the other one is racing for the front door. Who do I follow? I can put a drone on who I do not follow. And do you want me to follow them or come to where you are?<<

>>Dear, are you alright? I am sorry for your loss. I can place an anonymous call to the KE for you, if you like. Do you want to postpone tonight?<<

>>Do you need help? I am free to come meet you, if you like. I know that you don't like uninvited company, but I am worried about you.<<
Imladir
~~~
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #570

Cynthia hesitates for a second. Should she go faster, but leave more tracks, or keep going as she is? She sets two timers and paths simulation, one for her and one for what she supposes is the mercenaries progression, adjusting her course as she needs. >>Just stick a drone on one of them, where one is going, is probably where they're all going. Put it on the leader if you can. But otherwise picking me up sounds like a good idea. I know the neighbourhood better than they do and I can avoid the cameras - or convince them they did not see me - but if they track me there's not much I can do.<<

As she walks - briskly - she looks at possible diversions: alarms to raise, vehicles to move, etc. What she finds, she puts a Mark on and activates, answering to Tanya on the way >>I could do the call, my main issue is that I don't know if I should just disappear on KE which will make things difficult for a time, or if I should take the risk of letting them find me. If they interrogate me to know why the mercenaries are interested in me, they'll quickly realise I'm hiding something...<<

And finally to Eugene >>For now, I don't see how you can help me escape them. Though if you're nearby, we're going to stick a drone on them to follow them, maybe you'll be able to monitor the place where the drone ends at?<<
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1937 - Cynthia's House Capital Hill -Seattle

>>On it. I am headed back to the van and will put a drone to follow each group. I will be at the rendezvous spot in no time. See you there.<<

>>Why not just leave the KE out of it, then. I know some people who owe me a favor and they can take care of the mess.<<

>>I am at Sophie's. I do not know if that is close or not. Can you link me to the drones?<<

As you move through the neighboring yards and across streets on your path to get to the pickup spot, you approach two men on the opposite side of the street from you out walking their dogs, which appear to be large mastiffs. The men appear to be chatting and do not seem to notice you, but the dogs swivel their heads to look at you and you wonder for a moment if the eyes are indeed glowing red or if it is just a trick of the fading light. As you pass the men they both lean over and unleash their dogs, who go off at a lope. Soon after, you hear the staccato sound of gunshots followed by screams of agony.

>>Holy fuck! Did you see that? Holy Fuck! Sorry, the drone following the two guys just saw two monster dogs race up to the men and...............and.........Fuck, it was like they breathed fire or something. One of the guys got off some shots then they both got eaten. Fuck.......barbecued and eaten. I have never seen anything like that and I am not sure I want to ever see it again. Then the fucking dogs just......left.....I mean they just disappeared. One second they are ripping throats and eating hearts or something and the next they are gone. I was so distracted I almost took out a lamp post. Anyway, I am on the way to meet you. Just be careful out there.<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #571

Tanya: >>Alright, I suppose you know the address?<<

Eugène: >>I'll forward you that when I'm not running anymore. Nothing urgent, we can follow first. It's just that I have stuff planned for the evening elsewhere and I'd hate to miss the important stuff there. Plus, no need to move if we don't manage to follow them...<<

For a few seconds though, only stunned silence answers Sandy. Cynthia touches the medallion given to her by Mama Lini, but frowns. She adds a message to Tanya >>Say... You didn't happen to have people you know keep watch on the house? People with big ass dogs that breathe fire and eat people? Messily eat people... Maybe they were spirits though, they just vanished... I don't see how KE will not know something went down here...<<

Then, she answers to Sandy >>I don't know drek about Magic, but that sounds more spirits than dogs... Or very weird dogs... Though I suppose it would be weird spirits in any case... That was... Err... Ok, I'm nearby now.<<

Finally, another message to Eugène >>Uh... Two of the guys just got eaten... If the same happens to the third one there won't be anything to follow... And if he doesn't get eaten, I suppose he'll run straight to his base...<<
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1938 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

After a few seconds, Tanya comes back. >>No, I am not having anyone watch your house. With dogs or otherwise. But you are right.......it will be hard to keep KE out of this if this happened near your house. Can you give me a location of the incident? There is still a chance if we move quickly.<<

Eugene also responds at about the same time. >>Eaten? Are you sure? Frag, what ate them? Now I am even more concerned. And worried. Are you sure that you don't want any help out there?<<

As you round the last corner, you see the van pulling up and its side door sliding open. Sandy is looking straight ahead, almost as if she is not aware of anything.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #572

Cynthia jumps into the van, sending a short message to Sandy >>I'm in. Follow this route...<< She sends a small path >>To the main street, after that we should be clear. Oh and forward me the drone's feed please, I'd like to see what the other mercenary is doing.<<

Then she answers to Tanya >>I'm sending you the coordinates. It was in the middle of the street though so... I suppose an alarm will ring pretty soon, if it hasn't already. Plus if Roger had any doubt about my...level of knowledge... Well, I think he won't have any now...<< then to Eugène >>I'm reviewing the footage and... Yeah, there are definitely missing chunks, it's disgusting... I think it's spirits but I never saw any so... Maybe you can ask Mama Lini if she had people near my home? I only know one other Mage and I'm pretty sure she's not the one who sent that...<< After a small pause, she adds >>I'm safe now, so nothing to help with for now I suppose but... Well, having people empty a bunch of magazines in your bedroom intending to kill you puts quite the strange flavour to your day... Ever happened to you?<<

Then, she looks at the footage she got from the microphone and camera she put in her house before she exited, hoping to catch some talk when they noticed she had fled. And she grabs her jacket in the bag she retrieved. She doesn't really like that jacket but when there's lead flying... Better have it than only a t-shirt...
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1940 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

The sliding door is already closing and the van is pulling away from the curb almost as soon as you jump in. >>On it. Forwarding the feeds now. You sure you want to see the one of the dogs attacking those guys? Please buckle up. Safety, you know?<<

>>OK, got them. Let me see what I can do. And you are probably right about Roger. Still, I think you might still want to meet with him tomorrow. You will be guarded, but it is your life so it is your call. Unless you need me before, I will see you later tonight. Ciao.<<

>>I will ask her if she did, but I don;t think she even knows where you live. Unless you told her? And, no, I have never had men with guns shoot at me. Will you be returning here soon?<<

The mic and camera from your room picks up the men coming in and if this was some sort of trivid, you would say they were very professional about it. Their silenced weapons certainly chewed up your room pretty thoroughly. It would seem that they were not looking to take prisoners. Only one of them speaks and you are pretty sure it is a Slavic tongue but are not sure which one. Some of his hand motions are pretty easy to decypher, though, even if you can't understand what he is saying.

Two signals pop up on your 'link. One has a warning about very adult content but the other does not.

The drone following the single man is apparently still on the move, following a car as it moves in the streets. Backing it up, you see him leaving your house and heading across the street and driving a car out of the garage.

The drone following the pair has a bit more excitement. Both men have goggles of some kind over their eyes and one is pointing to the ground along the path that you had taken upon leaving your house. There was a bit of confusion when you made it to the street, but then they seemed to guess correctly and were closing in on you when two huge hounds came out of the darkness. One of the men reacted quite fast and had his gun up and firing just as both dogs breathed a jet of flame at the men, catching them both on fire. You can hear the men scream in agony, but it is mercifully short lived as the dogs leap at the men and fasten huge jaws on throats and tear the screams stop. The dogs begin to rip open the chests of their victims with bloody jaws and are busy at it when two men walk up. Almost immediately, the dogs simply vanish, almost like mist in the wind. Both strangers walk up to the bodies and one kneels down to look at them then stands, nodding his head at the other one. Then the strangers disappear just like the dogs had.

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #573

Cynthia wordlessly fastens her seatbelt, then watches the videos. She seems a bit pale after having watched the second one. After that she answers to Sandy >>That's messed up... And I have zero idea about who those...guys...even are... Mages at best I suppose, but... What were they doing here, and why...<< she pauses >>There aren't a lot of ways.to investigate that though, especially considering they vanished... Anyway, let's take care of the other mercenary, Or man I suppose is a mercenary, he could be someone else I suppose. We have an appointment in a bit more of three hours, it leaves us some time to follow and maybe do some recon. I'll try to analyse what I caught while you follow.<<

To Eugène: >>I didn't say anything no. But if it's not her... Alright, I'm sending you the footage. Its pretty graphic, but if she knows anything about that, whatever that is, it'll be good to know... As for coming back, after midnight, I don't know yet at what time exactly, Oh, that reminds me, could you ask for a second room? I'm with someone else and I don't want to disturb anyone when I get there... I'll pay on the morning.<<

She then starts to analyse the audio of the mercenaries, first by cleaning it, then looking at the language it is...and finally the translation of what was said. She doesn't expect anything interesting wad said, probably something like "you two follow, I'll circle back with the car" or something like that, but knowing what language they're talking could help narrow things down later on.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~~

To clean the audio, identify the language and get the translation:
Software (+2VR): 15d6t5 7, limit is 6
Matrix Search (+2 VR): 17d6t5 4

By the way, it didn't come up yet, but Cynthia doesn't really use her 'link: most of the stuff she does goes directly to her. At some point she saved the files she had there, but now she keeps an encrypted/bombed datachip in one of her pockets, where she stores all the files she gets/produces (simply by touching it). She'd keep it in her bra but since she almost never wears one... As it is, since it's offline, there's no way to get to it for any hacker.
On her 'link, there are just basic stuff, game profiles, astronomy photos, probably some "leaflets" about Washington University, etc. Nothing incriminating in any way.

Encryption, Data Bomb: 2#15d6t5 6 2
Encryption is rating 6. Data Bomb is pitiful, Cynthia would have deleted that one and put another one.
Data Bomb: 15d6t5 5, Rating 5 data bomb is better.

It's configured to delete the file if it explodes.
Cynthia makes backups from time to time, stored in some safe place, probably two Hosts somewhere, each Host only having an unreadable half of the file.
Data Havens / Seattle Matrix: 2#12d6t5 5 4 to find the right Hosts with good privacy settings.
I'm of course willing to pay a monthly fee for those two Hosts.

It can be something she puts in place in the coming hours rather than already done. She could have done that while she waited for Freeda's lecture to start, but a few hours later doesn't change anything.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1943 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

Sandy comes back to you. >>Yeah. Pretty fragged up if you ask me. Still, whatever it was got those guys off your tail. I would suspect mages, too, so do you know any with that sort of mojo who want to see you stay alive?<<

>>Sure, I can have a room set aside for you at the boarding house. Oh, wow! That second file is..............you were not kidding about it being a bit graphic. Hmmm, I........uh........that is a bit unsettling. Say, the other file looks live. Are you still tracking the third guy?<<

It is easy to clean up the audio files and you can get a "Free Trial Use" of a language translation application that is advertising complete access to their data base for a small monthly fee. The language is Czech and you are right. There is a good bit of swearing and some commands for two of the men to follow you while the speaker gets the car and follows uses them to guide to your location. He does underscore that there is no reason to take you alive at this point. One of the others cracks a joke about fucking you before killing you and the leader tells him to go ahead, but to make sure that you are dead afterwards.

You can find a couple of small data havens, but you know that there are three major ones that would require membership and a monthly fee for their use. Sadly, admission to these special havens is by invitation only, and you have not yet been invited.

OOC: The three special havens can be taken as qualities. Basic cost is 7 karma each, so your cost is 14 each. If you are interested, we can add an RP to get invited.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #574

Cynthia snorts >>Sandy [Cynthia]: I only know one Mage. Well, probably two but I'm not sure. The second one doesn't know where I live. I think. As for the first one... She'd try to make me her slave to pay for rescuing me, so she probably didn't do anything of the sort since I didn't hear from her.<< After a few seconds, she adds >>Sandy [Cynthia]: And she could have set the whole thing up just to achieve that... But I don't think that would be her.<< There's a new pause, then she adds >>Sandy [Cynthia]: I know someone who...knows a lot of people...but she says she didn't have anything to do with it so... That's a mystery. For now at least.<<

>>Eugène [Cynthia]: Uh, sorry that second feed wasn't supposed to get there.<< She interrupts the transmission of the drone's feed. That's not something she wants to transmit more than she has too. >>Eugène [Cynthia]: But yeah, it's live. I may finally find where they are. And yeah, I'll be careful.<<

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Looks like the guys speak Czech. They're far from home...<<

Cynthia spends the next few minutes looking at what she can find about Czech mercenaries, but more importantly a Czech community in or near Seattle. If those guys go out a bit, it would probably be among their own community to blend in.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

To find known Czech mercenaries outfits and the identity of their leaders:
Matrix Search (+2 VR): 17d6t5 6

I'm borrowing Beta's way of sending Matrix messages, it's clearer that way biggrin.gif

For the Havens why not. It's not what I planned to buy just yet but it's alright. I have enough unspent karma for one, not yet two though, so either it'll have to wait a bit or I'll have to clear the debt as soon as possible.
If you need a way to introduce the thing (unless of course you already know how to do that or think of a better way), it could be made through Neil Tiploft, Cynthia's paydata fence, who's about to call her back to pay her a hefty sum of money (my way to explain the posts nuyen gain).
Imladir
Bump?
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1946 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Got it, I guess. Probably not much to do on that front for now, then. So what is next?<<

>>Cynthia [Eugene]: Hey, I get that it was not supposed to come to me, but maybe I can help find them if you cut me into the feed.<<

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Czech? That is far from home. But, hey, wait. I happen to know a guy. Name is Pavel Czjorak. He is Czech. Nice guy, too, in my experience.<<

Your matrix search turns up zippo about any Czech mercenary outfits in the last two hundred years. The only reference you can find is a small unit of cavalry that had hired itself out to Emperor Napoleon back in 1811. The history does not go too far as most of the unit died when they were send into Russia in 1812 as part of his vanguard during his ill-fated invasion of that country.

OOC: Sorry for the delay. I had to look up some things from some earlier posts for other players and I had to go through a ton.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - near Cynthia's house, Capitol Hill, Seattle] #575

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Yup. And I can't find drek about Czech mercenaries. I'll try to look at other nearby countries, but I'm afraid I'll end up finding too much. For now, let's just make sure we don't lose the last one, while making sure no one is following us... I'll check in the Matrix, check in the meat. And if we have a Mage on our asses... Well... Let's pray we don't have a Mage on our asses... And maybe you can talk to this Pavel then. We don't need to be too close to the drone after all. In fact, it would probably be better if we weren't, less opportunities to notice us that way. So let's let it do its job, while you go meet this Pavel. Or we go meet this Pavel I suppose...<<

And Cynthia does check to make sure that there are no Marks on anything Sandy or she own, while she answers to Eugène.

>>Eugène [Cynthia]: For now the drone is just following, nothing much to see. But if you want to help, those mercenaries talked Czech when they trashed my bedroom. I didn't find any Czech mercenary outfits but maybe you'll get something. I was thinking about looking into nearby countries, but Europe is a mess, there are so many that I'll probably find far too much...and nothing pertinent.<<

Cynthia quickly checks the name Pavel Czjorak. She's not completely paranoid but... Well... It can't hurt.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

I wasn't sure if it was for something like that or the thread was lost in the bottom so you didn't see it ^^
And better safe than sorry smile.gif

Matrix Search (+2 VR): 17d6t5 4 for the friend Pavel.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1948 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Sure thing. As I recall, Pavel runs an upscale tea house in Downtown. He lives above the shop with his wife Marta. I was actually there a couple of times with my parents, back when they took me places. Must have been five or six years ago the last time. Right before I got grounded for life. Not sure if the place is still open at this time of the day, but it might be. I can give him a call and ask if he will see us if you like.<<

You find no obvious marks.

>>Cynthia [Eugene]: Czech, you say. I can have a look around the matrix, if you think it will help. Back at you when I find something.<<

Your search of the public data bases tells you that there is, indeed, a Pavel Czjorak in the Seattle Business Guide. He is the owner and proprietor of Spetz, a trendy tea house in the Downtown District. He used to run it with his wife, Marta until she dies two years ago of cancer. There is a son, Anton, who manages the shop. A menu is available upon request.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Capitol Hills Streets, Seattle] #576

>>Eugène [Cynthia]: can't hurt, thanks. Oh and if it helps narrow it down... Don't bother with the subtle ones, only extra-violent ones with another measure of violence on top...<<

Cynthia doesn't stop to wonder what this check means of her current state of mind. In fact, she's mostly glad she did check, and decides to try and do it for almost anything that comes her way. First because you're never too careful, especially when your life is on the line, and second because you never know from where pertinent information could come from... She'll avoid doing it for Sandy though. For now anyway. Maybe it'll come back later to bite her in the ass but she tries to respect this kind of things. Plus, it's not like she doesn't have her own family issues.

Glancing at the menu, she sends >>Sandy [Cynthia]: The tea house is still open. No Marta anymore though, she died two years ago. Cancer. There is a son, Anton. He's the one managing the shop.<<

Cynthia checks the shop in the Matrix. She's particularly interested in a probable security cam (or nearby cams). If the mercenaries went to the shop there might be stuff to learn, but it wouldn't do to visit while there are mercenaries in the shop...

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM): 17d6t5 5 to find a camera, I don't suppose I'll need to roll for the hack itself given the probable low defence ratings, but if you need it, let me know.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1950 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: That is sad. I remember her being sick but I did not know what it was. Anton is middle aged, maybe forty, I think. He seemed nice.<<

There are security cameras everywhere in the Downtown District and it is easy to find a couple that cover the section of street where the tea house is. Getting a mark is not hard, either, and you can have access to one that covers the entrance. Most of the people that go in and out of the establishment are businessmen and women in the neighborhood.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Capitol Hills Streets, Seattle] #577

Having nothing interesting to say about Marta, cancer or sickness in general, Cynthia doesn't bother answering about that. >>Sandy [Cynthia]: I've got eyes on the place. I don't see mercenaries type people going there... Not with all their weapons anyway. Though given their habits, we probably shouldn't stay too long there, they're the kind of people who would toss grenades in the shop just to get me. But even if Anton or Pavel don't know anything there might be another possibility. Let me check.<<

In the Matrix, Cynthia goes to find the drone following the mercenary. And checks to see if he's still running wireless off or if he switched his 'link back on, thinking unlikely Cynthia would do anything for now. In which case, Cynthia will briefly put a Mark on it: whatever she can take is good to get, but she doesn't believe it'll lead to anything: after all, with the number of dead mercenaries, if their 'links contained interesting information the chase would have ended days ago.

No, what she really hopes to get is the public name of the dude. If he went to the tea shop, maybe he was with other people she could find on recordings.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM): 17d6t5 5, in case the mercenary's link is on but running silent
Hack on the fly (+2VR): 19d6t5 6, to Mark him if found
Matrix Perception (+2 VR, +2 TM): 17d6t5 7, limit is 6, to check for nasty surprises (data bomb for example)
Edit File (+2 VR): 15d6t5 3, to copy/crack encrypted files if any are found, but the main goal is the man's public name anyway.

I now have the 14 karma for one Prime Haven Membership quality, so it's possible to launch that whenever you want. For the second one, either I'll get a debt, or it'll have to wait a bit :o
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1951 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

Sandy leaves you alone so you can think and so she can drive. The drone is still following the single man and he seems to be one careful guy. So far he is still running wireless dark. You do, however get an idea that he is heading off to Touristville if he keeps on in the direction he is heading now.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Capitol Hill streets, Seattle] #578

So much for a good idea. Not all is lost, but it'll be a bit more complicated if he stays dark until it's impossible to follow him. She'd have to look for him - and his two unfortunate companions - by looking for their faces in the surveillance archives... Not really something she wants to do.

Whatever it is, there's no use thinking about it for now. Instead, she takes this time to look into a few things she left on the side up to now: Tanaka is only one of the three yakuzas in Sampson's board, but she didn't look into the other two up to now. Time to fix that.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

I'm geographically a bit lost, are there interesting structures (linked to all that) in Touristville?
Maybe I should start a map :o

Matrix Search (+2 VR): 2#17d6t5 5 9, limit is 6. To look for information about Obi Shinosetsu and Aki Watanabe, the two other yakuzas on the board of Sampson.
Yakuza: 8d6t5 1, it can't hurt to narrow down the research.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1956 - Capital Hill Streets -Seattle

You are going to have better luck with this search. Your initial information is that Obi Shinosetsu lives in the same compound as Tanaka, but Aki Watanabe lives in a suite at the Seattle Hilton Towers, a luxury condominium hotel located next door to the Seattle Hilton Hotel.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Capitol Hill streets, Seattle] #579

Cynthia stays cautious. First, while she may be able to get access to Watanabe more easily, getting to Shinonetsu will probably be as much a PITA as for Tanaka. Second, and most importantly... She finds suspicious that the three yakuza board members of Sampson Industries are members of the Seattle Yakuzas. She checks to be sure those two are the two she's interested in, and that there's not some confusion in the names.

A board member from Renraku and one of the Yakuza in Seattle, she believes. The three yakuzas and a member of Renraku? If that is indeed the case, odds are the last two board members - or three since the defection of the "traitor" - are also in Seattle. Confirming that is certainly worthwhile. And it could allow to identify them which would really be interesting. Could Roger be one of them?

In addition to that, Cynthia checks the available information regarding the Seattle Hilton Towers. She doesn't believe she'll be able to easily get direct access to Watanabe there, but she will certainly be able to get closer, which would help a lot.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

What about touristville?
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1959 -Streets of Seattle

A gold star for you. On the surface, the names of the three Sampson Industries Yakuza board members are all in Seattle. But it is interesting that the international corporate headquarters is in Jakarta.

OOC: I had thought that you were focusing on the Yak guys and have had little time to look at Touristville. Is that incorrect?
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:00, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, Seattle] #580

Cynthia (or Cynthia's Persona at least, but is there a difference?) grumbles. Jakarta... That's not next door. Is it possible she didn't get anything from Tanaka's communications because he's just an homonym, possibly a lightning rod? That would be...devious... And probably well done. She will have to check if other towns - like Bogota for example - also have their own sets of yakuza lieutenants with those names...

Before she dives into Jakartan Hosts, Cynthia checks there is enough time before Sandy parks them near the tea house >>Sandy [Cynthia]: Hey, how long before we get there? By the way, you know anything interesting near Touristville?<<

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

No, it is correct. My question was more "did I already go check something in touristville?" than "Is there something interesting there?"
Like the Goldstein Building, Avilla or Grainger.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 1959 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

Oooooo. Gold star time. A closer look and comparison of the names of the board of directors for Sampson Industries yields a couple of curious facts. Tanaka is supposed to be living in Tokyo and Shinosetsu in Jakarta, Indonesia.

OOC: I had thought your post meant that you would be looking at the Yak guys first and have not had time to look at Touristville.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:00, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, Seattle] #581

Frag. She went to all that trouble regarding Tanaka for exactly nothing. That's... Yeah, kinda pissing Cynthia off. Why didn't she check first, instead of making the assumption that it was the right guy? She should have been smarter than that!

And by the same token, she can't just dismiss the existence of those three guys. She'll have to check them, to be sure that they don't mean anything. But she doesn't expect it now. Which means that she has no close link to Sampson here in Seattle. Unless Jason Woods has much closer ties to all this than she thinks. Looks she will need to go to this fragging reception tomorrow.

Cynthia goes back to her meat with a groan. Just thinking about it depresses her. She quickly checks where they are compared to the tea house, and idly checks on that reception. She may as well know what it is about...and how the people there will be invited. But she fears she won't be able to avoid a dress. Something that she doesn't even want to think about...

Distractedly, she sends >>Sandy [Cynthia]: You should switch your drone to wireless off for most of the way. Have it go back online at random intervals so that you can get data and send new instructions, but given where it seems to be going, it could be easily detected otherwise.<<

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Yep, that's exactly it. I thought that maybe the Goldstein Building, Avila Transport or Grainger Manufacturing were in that region, so I wanted to know if that were the case. But I checked and I don't think it is, so it doesn't matter. I probably mixed up something else.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 13th, 2075, 2002 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

You are still some minutes from Touristville and the Tea House when you get back to your body.

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Already doing that. But it looks like the car is slowing down and taking fewer odd turns, so maybe he is getting close to where he is going. Byt the way, I checked the registration of the car and it belongs to a David and Greta Drake. The address on file for them is the place across the street form yours. Does not look too good for your neighbors. Do you know them?<<

OOC: If that is all you wanted to know, then yeah, none of those places are in or particularly close to Touristville.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:00, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, Seattle] #582

Even if Sandy can't see her, Cynthia shakes her head >>Sandy [Cynthia]: Alright. And... No. Not really anyway, saw them from time to time, said hello or nice weather today and so on, but that's all. I'm not a people's person. Far from it in fact, so I never really talked to any of my neighbours.<<

With a snort, she shakes her head, then sighs, going back to her dress nightmare. Even if she had access to her apartment, she wouldn't have any of course. And there's no way in hell, even if it froze or whatever that she'll get one from her parents'. She doesn't want to go through that. And to say that her mother spent the little attention she gave her trying to dress her like a doll. No, she won't do her that pleasure, and she wouldn't understand anyway.

She grunts. She really, really, hopes her parents won't be at the reception tomorrow. No way will she be able to survive it if they are. With a new sigh, she looks at shops where she could get a dress she could agree to wear, putting out a good enough quality for that fragging reception and that she could convince to get the dress ready in the day. Probably a new, relatively unknown shop, producing good quality stuff. Maybe not a single owner-artisan or whatever, but something not too far from that.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Search: 15d6t5 6 to find the shop.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2005 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

Sandy goes quiet and leaves you to your thoughts. Your search for dress shops turns up a large number of hits, several of which are in the Touristville area. Surprisingly, or perhaps not, there is one advertising from Cajun Town. A quick look through the AR catalogs of those in Touristville leads you to believe that they are all for strippers and prostitutes or for those people who want to display stuff that is clearly of the "I bought this in Seattle" mode. However, one shop there does advertise decent quality clothing for the discerning shopper and its line does seem to cover more high end clothing. The Cajun Town location is "Jewel's Clothing Shoppe" and advertises locally made dresses, although the ads call them frocks, and some of them look quite nice.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:05, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, Seattle] #583

Cajun? Well, why not. As long as it's decent - though given how well endowed she is (or not, as it so happens), there's not much risk there - it could be nice. Plus, she wouldn't need something particularly expensive, the simple exotic quality of the dress could suffice. Given the hour, it will of course have to wait for tomorrow, but that's alright. She checks the opening hour to be sure to think about it in the morning. Though given that she has already something planned at 0900, she'll probably only get there by 1030 at best.

The next step is to get an invitation. Of course, she could go there with Tanya, but she'd rather not, mainly for two reasons: first, she doesn't want to depend too much on her. Sure, it's easier, but in the long run, not so good. Second, if the opposition doesn't already know about Tanya, going with her could mark her as more important to all that than they would have thought. Which means, getting an invitation by herself. Cynthia checks to see how it's handled. If it's nothing too important, she probably could hack the appropriate Host to add her name on the list. And if it's not... Well, she knows just the man: Emmet Harpeden.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Emmet is one of Cynthia's contacts, a fixer specialized in social events (Cynthia mainly used him for concert tickets). He's at 4 connection and 2 loyalty.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2006 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

The sponsor for the charity gala is not hard to find and slipping your name or names on the guest list would be child'splay if you want to do it, or you could use your contact if you wanted to keep your hand away from this.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:06, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, Seattle] #584

After a few seconds of hesitation, Cynthia sends a quick message to Emmet to ask him for an invitation to that gala. She will already stand out quite a bit as it is, no need to risk having to explain how exactly she got on the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012