Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Cynthia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2006 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

>>Cynthia [Emmet]: Hey there, kiddo. Long time. Hmmmmm, that gala is short of spare tickets but I might be able to score you a couple of tickets. What names do I put on them. And, um, you do these shindigs require you dress up, right?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:06, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, near Touristville, Seattle] #585

Cynthia grumbles bitterly >>Emmet [Cynthia]: Yeah I know, don't remind me... I'll buy something acceptable tomorrow... Just put Cynthia on the name, some people will probably know me, so there's not much sense using anything else... If you can't get one it's no big deal but let me know soonest, I'll add myself. I'd prefer to get said ticket more or less normally but...<< she frowns, then adds >>Emmet [Cynthia]: You can go with someone else if you want on those things, right? Do you need to know both names right away?<<

In other circumstances, Cynthia might have noticed that she either kinda insulted Emmet's resourcefulness or got a perfect negotiation argument in. Even if she never bargains of the price seems acceptable anyway. But right now? She's far from being in the right state of mind for that, and doesn't notice anything.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2007 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

>>Cynthia [Emmet]: Yeah, sure. I can set it up for plus one if you like. If you don't want your name on it, give me another and you could be the plus one.<<

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: About five minutes out.<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:07, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, near Touristville, Seattle] #586

Cynthia hesitates for a second. She could go there with someone, probably Eugène or Sandy, but she's not sure it would be a good idea. Eugène would probably agree, but Sandy? She doesn't know. As it is, it'd be best to keep her options open >>Emmet [Cynthia]: I don't know if I'll go with someone, much less who that someone would be. So me plus one is fine, I'll just have to be careful on the to and from there...<<

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Alright, thanks.<< Now that they're nearby, Cynthia checks once again the.latest footage sent by the drone, trying to extrapolate where it's going. As for the tea house... If the mercenaries are indeed in Touristville, it increases the odds some already went there. Which can be both good and bad of course... They will both have to be extra careful... >>Sandy [Cynthia]: Once we're nearby you should get a fly in the air. I'll keep an eye on the cameras but another pair of eyes can't hurt.<<
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2008 - Nearing Touristville -Seattle

>>Cynthia [Emmet]: Got it, kiddo. I will get back to you if I make it work. Will call alright for you?<<

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: We're thinking alike on that one. I will be coming out of the van in five seconds.<<

True to her word, Sandy's meat body shudders a bit as she re-enters it and sits up. "Arriving at the edge of Toruistville in four minutes, and GG indicates another five to get to the tea house. Are you planning on us going in or just me?"

Your view of the current feed from the drone tailing the mercenary lets you know that this guy is headed to Tacoma or perhaps Fort Lewis.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:08, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - On the road, near Touristville, Seattle] #587

>>Emmet [Cynthia]: A call is fine. Thanks.<<

Cynthia hesitates. She doesn't really want to go talk to anyone. But... "I probably should come. I know more about the situation, I might notice stuff that you'd miss." watching the drone's feed, she grumbles "This dude doesn't know where he's going... Or probably worried he's being tailed. Let's hope the trick with the drone will be enough to fool him and his friends. But at least we won't have to worry about mercenaries already nearby I suppose. Of course, it also means that your Pavel probably won't know anything much." she sighs then shrugs "I suppose we'll be able to eat there at least, it'll be something... Hey just in case, have your drone change its icon after each reboot. It won't fool physical observations of course, but if they look into the Matrix, it could really help."
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2018 - Tea House Touristville -Seattle

GG has proven amazingly prophetic and you arrive at a parking lot just down the block from the tea house almost exactly nine minutes later. Leaving the car, you notice that the streets are crowded with people shopping in this tourist mecca of Seattle. Here, one can find a mix of old and new, staid and bawdy all at the same time. The make up of the people in the streets is subtly changing from families to singles or couples out looking for a bit of different entertainment. Some shops are shuttering and others are opening, catering to sex and clubs. The tea house seems to be an anomaly; it does not appear to cater to the sex trade and it is not a bar, yet it remains open and has a decent clientele. Standing back from the shop, you note several couples and singles enter or leave, but none look to be obvious gangers and none look to be armed.

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:18, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Czech Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #588

Cynthia groans after just a few steps "I hate this place. Too many people." when she notices the change in crowd composition, her opinion doesn't exactly improve "Look at those..." she seems unsure of how to express how she feels. In the end, she just silently shakes her head. Grumbling she adds "Let's hope no one tries anything with us... We probably shouldn't stay too late..."

While she wants nothing more than to get into the tea house - at least for now... - Cynthia takes care to make sure she has available the feed of a sufficient number of cameras to be able to notice well in advance any kind of disturbance. Once she has, she follows Sandy inside.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2023 - Tea House Touristville -Seattle

Entering the tea house is like entering another world. The atmosphere is quiet and the conversations are hushed, not out of a need for secrecy but out of respect for the other diners. The servers are dressed in period costumes and one young woman so dressed approaches you. Her accent is vaguely Slavic. "Welcome to the tea house. May I show you to a table?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:23, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Czech Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #589

Cynthia nods. She had decided to follow Sandy's lead on this, but... Well, since they'll eat here too, the least they can do is take a table.
Mercy
Cynthia Rawson - Wednesday June 12th, 2075, 2024 - Tea House Touristville -Seattle

The chairs are comfortable and the table is covered with a real cloth tablecloth and the napkins appear to be linen. The waitress hands the two of you a menu made of hard paper. "I will be shortly to take your order, unless you already know what you want?"

Sandy shakes her head and the waitress smiles and walks away. Sandy looks at you and whispers, "This is just like I remember from years ago."

The place is nearly full and seems to do quite a volume of business. A young man of maybe twenty comes from the rear and walks among the tables, asking if they need anything. He is wearing a very nice suit that looks new but is probably years out of date. "Good evening and thank you for..................Sandy? Is that you? It has been, what, five or six years? Maybe longer? How have you been?" He blushes a bit then turns to you. "Sorry about that. My name is Anton and welcome to Spetz. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you."

Sandy pauses a bit then says, "Anton, is your father in? I actually have some questions that I think he might be able to help me with."

Anton nods. "Sure thing. I know he would love to talk to you." He pauses then adds. "Don't know if you heard about mama? She passed a couple of years back. Cancer. Hit papa pretty hard, but I know that a face from the good days will be welcome. Let me get him."

Sandy nods and Anton leaves. She turns to look at you. "I hadn't remembered he was that good looking."

A couple of minutes later Anton comes back into the main room with a man who looks older than he ought to. His face breaks into a big smile as he walks to your table and holds out his hands to Sandy. "Sandra, no it is Sandy, isn't it? It is so good to see you." He turns to you and holds out a hand. "Pavel Czjorak. And any friend of Sandy's is welcome here any time." He pulls a chair out and sits at the table. "Now what is this about some questions? Would one of them be about why Anton is still single and when is he ever going to give me some grandchildren?" There is a twinkle in the man's eye as he looks over at Anton, who looks embarrassed as he waves a hand and walks away to see to some other customers. Pavel looks back at the two of you. "So, these questions?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:24, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Czech Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #590

Cynthia makes a few small noises and nods of greeting and agreement here and there. She seems to hesitate a bit, glancing at Sandy, then answers "Before I ask any question, you must know that it could be dangerous. As in deadly dangerous, and not just for you." She raises her hand to prevent a denial, and adds "I know you'll say you don't care, that you'll answer and so on, but you must take me seriously. A lot of people died already on this. Some no latter than an hour ago. So before you agree to anything, think about that. We can easily just dine and be on our way when we're done."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075. Spatz Tea House Touristville. Seattle

Pavel looks from of you to the other and his smile changes to a bit of a frown. "Perhaps this is not a conversation for the front of the diner. Why don't the two of you come back to my office and we can talk with more privacy?" He stands and motions for you to follow him.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:24, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spatz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #591

Cynthia shakes her head "Probably not indeed. But taking us there will have the same result, even if you don't say anything - or don't have anything to say - if some people pay attention they'll believe you did say something." she shrugs "If you're sure, we'll follow you but if you have even the slightest doubt..."

After that, she gives Pavel time to think. If he still wants to talk, then she follows to his office.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075. Spetz Tea House. Touristville. Seattle

Pavel nods and turns to his son. "Anton, please ask Cerzyc and Havel to come see me right away." He is smiling when he turns back to you. "Sandy, please bring your friend and come talk to me."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:25, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #592

Cynthia shrugs. If that's what he really wants, she won't argue anymore. After all, If he knows something, it could help. She stands up and follows to the office. On the way, she prepares stills of each mercenaries, images she'll be able to show without raising too much suspicions at what they were doing at the time the images were taken.

She also checks on the drone following the surviving mercenary to see where it's at.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075. Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel leads you through the dining room to his office in the rear of the shop. He motions to some chairs in front of his desk and sits on one. When the two of you are also sitting, he looks from one to the other of you. "OK. Someone please tell me what is going on."

The drone feed lets you know that the mercenary has passed by the gates of the military base and seems to be headed into Tacoma proper.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:26, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #593

"Alright." Cynthia frowns, deciding how best to present this. In the end, she decides to keep things simple "You certainly heard about the recent violent events of the last few days in town. I have very good reasons to believe that some of the mercenaries involved are Czech."

She pauses slightly, to let Pavel digest this, then continues "Which is why we're here: to learn if you know anything about Czech mercenaries in general or those three in particular." saying that, Cynthia displays the stills she prepared in AR, then waits for an answer. And carefully observes the reactions of the people in the room. You never know...
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2027 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel looks between the two of you and shakes his head. "What are the two of you mixed up in, Sandy? These are things for grown ups with guns, not for young women who should be in school." He sighs. "Still, mixed up in it you appear to be. I have been here, in this place for a long time, but I keep my friends to the Old Country and they tell me things. There are some very bad people in this world, and some are looking for other bad people. I don't think you are looking for a Czech mercenary outfit, but a Serbian one. These criminals are advertising all over Eastern Europe and taking former soldiers, criminals, and thugs of every stripe. The hiring is not a secret, but where the mercenaries are going seems to be. Some have come here but not in enough numbers to account for all that have been hired. There is a place in Tacoma where some of these people hide."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:26, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #594

Cynthia grimaces at the mention of school. "Well, you're right, we're 'mixed in' in that. Especially considering they just blew my bedroom to kingdom come, hoping to get me, an hour ago." She pauses, frowning "I'm pretty sure I know exactly where most of the mercenaries are, it's the Seattle ones I wasn't able to find yet. So, Serbian?" She cocks an eyebrow "You have a name for this outfit? And a more precise location in Tacoma?"
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2027 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel nods. "Pakau je Krila. That is what these criminals call themselves. They have been small in the past, but recently have been hiring like a man who has found gold on his land and opens a mine. They are bad news, these men. Do you need any help?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:27, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #595

Cynthia shakes her head "No, you don't need to involve yourself more than we did by coming here. Once we know where they're hiding in Tacoma, it'll be enough." She grins "There are so many people who want to have a 'word' with those guys that I'll just have to decide who to tell first."

On the side, Cynthia starts a search on this group, the Pakau je Krila.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Search: 15d6t5 5
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2028 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

There is a knock at the door and Pavel says something in Czech. A man enters the room and all sorts of warning signs light up for you. The man appears innocuous but your senses tell you that he is a very dangerous man. A much larger man follows him in, and this man does look dangerous. Pavel smiles and motions to the new arrivals. "Ah, Sandy and Cynthia, this is Cerzyc and his large friend, Havel. Please consider them your friends for as long as you need them."

He nods at the men. "They are having problems with some of the Pakau scum. I would prefer that no harm comes to these two young ladies."

The one named Cerzyc just nods and the other says, "You got it, boss."

Pavel looks at both of you. "I would feel better if you let these men help you."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:28, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #596

When the first of the two men enters, Cynthia half stands, ready to bolt and call for help. When nothing happens, she sits back down but moves a bit to keep all three men in her sight. After a couple of seconds, she answers with a question "What does that help covers exactly?"
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2029 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

The smaller man turns to you and asks, "What sort of help do you need, Miss?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:29, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #597

Cynthia grumbles "Right now, I just want to know where those mercenaries are hiding in Tacoma. After that..." she shrugs "We'll see." She glances at the three men, then adds "Look, I don't know you. Sandra..." she pauses, looks at Sandy "Sorry. Sandy," back to the three men "thinks highly of you, but... Like I said earlier, three of those mercenaries tried to kill me just before we came here. So you'll excuse me if I'm being...cautious. For all I know, you're perfectly honourable men, but you could also decide to side with them for one reason or another. A lot of men would side with their countrymen over two girls, and you...feel...as dangerous as those mercenaries. Which means that he" with a small wave of her hand, she indicates Havel "Is probably dangerous too, just better at hiding it. Which in turn, means that you," she turns to Pavel "Are a lot more than meets the eye to have such men working for you. So while I will not pry, your secrets are your own and all that... And I have better things to do... It doesn't mean that I'll tell you anything I know or suspect. Almost did it once, which is how I came under fire. And if you're thinking it's unfair..." She shrugs "Well maybe it is, but I didn't say anything to Sandy either. And since she helped me avoid suffering from a terminal case of lead indigestion..."

She sighs "For now, the best course of action is to stay below the radar while I...look...into things. I don't think that's something you could help me with, not unless I trust you with my life. Which... Well, I don't really see any good reason to put to the test, do you?"
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2030 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

All three men look at you for a moment, then Pavel smiles. "Very smart girl. Alright, Cynthia, what would we have to do to get you to trust us? Would anything convince you, or are you going to carry that distrust everywhere? "

"Yes, these men are very dangerous and I am very much more than I seem to be. But what I am not is your enemy. These criminals, these mercenaries, they give all of us a bad name. But you ask what I can do for you, eh? I can send these men with you to guard you. I can provide you with a safe place to rest and plan. I can also tell you where these men meet. Sometimes it comes down to using your common sense to figure out who your friends are."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:30, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #598

Cynthia sighs. Things would have been easier if they just had told her where to look for the mercenaries. Of course, the drone might give her that information, but two independent sources are much better than a single one. However since they insist to help...

She grimaces. Thing is, if they want to work against her... She'll have to keep them close. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer and all that. Of course, that leaves the question of how to survive to those enemies... She'll really have to take some self-defence classes when this is done... In the meantime... "Fine. I already have some place to rest but I suppose another one can't hurt. As for guards..." She grimaces again, not really liking the idea. But... "Alright. But even if I'll listen to your suggestions concerning my safety, there's a lot of things I'll have to do. So when I say I have to go somewhere, I'll listen to opinions on how to do it safely, but 'no' won't be an option or I'll ditch you faster than you can blink. And I'll warn you that it will be pretty boring. Except if I make a mistake and the baddies find me." She pauses "Oh and if you really want to deal with those mercenaries, you'll have to be ready to travel abroad."

She frowns, squinting at both men "There isn't one of you who happens to be a mage by chance?"
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2035 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

All three men shake their heads. Pavel smiles. "Sorry, Cynthia, magic is uncommon enough and there are no awakened among us."

Czeryc frowns. "What about Madam Îles? She claims to have some sort of power."

Pavel snorts, "That card reader? Hmmm. I had not thought of her, but you could be right. Cynthia, if you like, I can ask her to see you and you can make up your own mind."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:35, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #599

Cynthia shrugs "Doesn't really matter." She glances at Sandy then adds "Just know that somehow, Mages seem to be involved. For now, they seem to help, but since I don't who they are or what they want..."

She pauses, considering what to do next, then asks "Do you have your own vehicle or do you have to come with us? There's not much room left in the van..."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2036 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

The men nod and Havel says, "We have a car and can follow you. Where do you need to go and when do you want to leave?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:35, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #600

Cynthia crosses her arms "We'll leave as soon as you tell us where those fragging mercenaries are, something you still didn't tell us. I'm beginning to wonder if you plan to at some point." she frowns "Though we might eat before."

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Oh, and this is my 600th IC post smile.gif
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2035 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel narrows his eyes for a second. "We are trying to help you. So far I have offered the name of the mercenary group, a place to stay, and some very good men to help keep you safe. I am not sure that the tone of voice you are using is appropriate. Do you use it with everyone who tries to help you? I told you that I can get the location the mercenaries use in Tacoma, not that I have the information at my fingertips. Can I at least get a thanks for what I have done?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:35, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #601

Cynthia doesn't even take the time to think before hotly answering "You implied you already knew. And that help is not something I asked for, but something you more or less imposed on us. So if it's like that..."

She's about to get up to leave, really not liking that situation at all, which in turn doesn't help her at all to be understanding. Biting is pretty much a visceral response, coming from a lack of trust, the fact that she doesn't know those people, generally sucks at this social thing and... Well... Even if it doesn't really shows, she still got spooked by the earlier events.

Half out of her chair, she crosses Sandy's look. She stops, scowling. Had she been alone, she wouldn't have hesitated for a moment, and would already have left. By far preferring to rely on herself than take the risks to be with strangers. Maybe that dislike is what pushed her to almost blow this, to get a way out. But Sandy's here, and she's the one who hot them here. Pavel is... Well, maybe not her friend but...

For a few long seconds, she stays silent, teeth clenched. Finally, after maybe a minute, she sits down, arms crossed on her chest and looking at Pavel growls "Fine. Thank you." for a moment, it seems she's about about to say something more, probably really sarcastic, but with another glance at Sandy and obvious efforts, she stops here.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2036 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel also seems to make an effort, something reinforced when he gets a look from Sandy as well. He carefully considers his words and his voice softens a bit. "I am very sorry if I did not explain adequately that I will try to find thisd information. Sometimes, my weak command of English has me saying things that others hear differently from what I meant. To clarify my words; I should soon have that information you are seeking, but I do not have it at this moment. And soon does not mean in a minute, but could mean a day or so. What I can give you now is the location of a social house that a number of local Serbians use that I suspect is the location you need, but I am not certain that you will find other than a lot of pipe-smoking old men at that house. It makes sense that the mercenaries would use the building, but I am not certain. Am I making myself clear this time? I am sending you the location of the social house now, but be careful with your assumptions."

A quick check of the address Pavel gives you and the drone feed lets you know that the stolen car is headed in roughly that direction, but is still a couple of miles from it and could turn anywhere along the way.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:36, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #602

Cynthia's first intention is to hotly answer that She's not a dumbass so of course she'll be careful with the place and not rush into it. But she simply nods "Thanks, I'll be careful." even if it takes some effort to not explode and just be done with this place and those guys. This is why she hates to deal with people. You have to compromise, to be careful of every word you say, and even then, they're expecting stuff you don't want to give.

She should never have proposed to Sandy to stay to help. Of course, she wouldn't have gone to her apartment then, and would have no leads on the mercenaries. But even if all that gave results... Impressive results, given that she had next to nothing on those guys... Well... She doesn't like it. She probably wouldn't be able to explain exactly why, except maybe that she hates not being in control. And.of course, the stress of the last few days, and particularly of the last few hours, has taken its toll.

For a moment, she rubs her face, trying to remove some tension without much success. Finally, in a tired tone, she adds "We should leave now."
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2037 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel looks up at you and shakes his head. "I was hoping that you would want to stay here for the couple of days it will take. We can keep you safe here. Be reasonable. What are you, sixteen or seventeen, and trying to take on a bunch of thugs and mercenaries? Havel, will you please escort Sandy out and ask Anton to come in?"

Sandy looks between you and Pavel and back. "Pavel? What is going on? I brought my friend here to get help. Why is she being..........why are we being treated this way? Pavel?"

The man raises his hand to stop her. "Now, Sandy. I am helping you and Cynthia. These men are very bad and will certainly kill her if she goes there alone. And you will be killed, too, if you go with her. And I could not live with that and what it would do to your father. Please understand that this is for her, and your, own good."

The very large man reaches out and grabs Sandy by the elbow and moves her towards the door as Cerzyc grins at you and nods his head. "Yes. We will keep you safe. Very safe. Do not worry, little Cynthia."

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: If you trust me, be patient for a few minutes. When I contact you again, dive for the floor against the wall to the right. Oh, and cover your ears.<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:37, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #603

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Fine.<< For a moment, she considers adding that this is exactly why she doesn't trust people. But... Given that her fate seems to be in Sandy's hands now, it probably wouldn't be very smart. Instead, she says >>Sandy [Cynthia]: Check the van and your drones before you do anything. In fact, you should probably reboot everything, just in case. Oh and take a few seconds to assemble my rifle.<<

Cynthia had always been told she was pretty bad at lying in most cases. There was always something that gave her away. Except when she was under a lot of pressure: then, it seemed like her nerves of steel allowed her to appear calm and collected, when she ought to be really stressed. Which is why, in this case, she doesn't seem to understand what is happening, and instead answers calmly "I'm seventeen, but that doesn't change the fact that I can take care of myself." except that apparently not of course. Why did she blindly trust Sandy and got in this situation exactly? That was pretty dumb. Good thing she didn't tell anyone anything else than that she suspects some undetermined stuff. But even if she was cautious enough to not endanger anything, she still landed in this mess. And if Sandy doesn't get her out of there...

She shakes her head, and stands up, pacing the place "I can't stay here for days. I have to go to college tomorrow to see about enrolling there." when the two men look at each others, she stops and crosses her arms on her chest "What? Did you think I wanted to spend my life hunting for mercenaries and the like?"

As she's speaking, Cynthia thanks Al {Thanks Al, you may go now. I think this drek requires another skilset than yours.} and compiles Arsene. When she does so, she grunts and rubs her eyes. Good thing that in this situation, it will appear like nothing much. Then, she asks Arsène to do a few things for her {Hey Arsène. Could you make sure that no device in the vicinity has Sandy's or mine identities or images saved? Should only be low level 'links, but given what is about to happen - I hope anyway - it would be best if no one has anything on us that could end up in blogs or social media... And if what I hope for doesn't happen... Here's a message I want you to send to this commcode in the event where I'm disconnected for more than a couple of minutes.}

Still pacing not trying to reach any place in particular, just wanting to get the men used to her moving, which hopefully translate in them being unable to react in time when she drops, she then asks, very reasonably "And what am I supposed to wear while I stay here? I couldn't grab anything at home. I can't stay in those clothes." Now that she thinks about it, she grimaces. She really doesn't have anything to wear except for what she has on at the moment, and except for socks and panties, it's already been two days in a row. There wasn't anything she was really fond of in her apartment but still. The simple thought of having to go shopping for so much is depressing. She groans once more, this time nothing to do with any particular activity of her, while pinching the edge of her nose. Though she can probably take care of most of it online.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Composure: 10d6t5 4, decent roll.
Crack Sprite [6] (Compiling, Defense, Fade): 12d6t5 6 6d6t5 4 13d6t5 6
Hmm, nice rolls... Of course, there's one that I don't like... I take 2S of Fade.

By the way, since I suppose it could matter, Cynthia has contacts with flare compensation and is wearing her armour jacket.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2040 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

The men left in the room seem to calm down a bit and Pavel returns to his seat behind his desk. "There, that is the sort of thinking you need to be concerned about. We can get you new clothes and the safe house has a nice shower, with lots of hot water. It will all be fine. In a couple of days I will have the information you are looking for and then we can decide what to do. In the meantime, you can get some rest and make preparations. I would prefer that Sandy be left out of these plans, though. Her father is a very good friend of mine and I would hate to have her harmed in any way. You I would hate to see harmed as well, but it seems that I could not keep you out of this."

Arsene lets you know that he is on your task.

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: OK, back in the van. I don't know what the frag is going on, Cynthia, and I am so sorry that I got you in this. Drones are rebooted and in the ai................holy fuck, they're back. Look at this.<<

You get a feed of two men barely visible in an evening mist. They would be mostly unremarkable but for the large dogs they have at their sides. The men seem to be standing still and the hounds are sitting, their glowing red eyes focused on the tea house, as if waiting for instructions.

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Fuck it! Dive for the floor at the wall in ten seconds. I will be there with your rifle. Cover your ears. 4.....3.....2.....1.....now!<<

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:40, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #604

Cynthia snorts "You think I want to involve her? I work alone. If she hadn't wormed her way into this, I'd have left her behind hours ago. I don't need anyone to do what I do. In fact, others are a liability more than anything else." she shakes her head at that. Not sure if she's even lying. She shrugs "Shower sure seems nice, it's been a hell of a day..." And for that, she's sure she's not lying...

When she gets the feed from Sandy, Cynthia hides her surprise as best she can. How could they know where she is? With a frown, her hand snakes its way to the 'charm' Mama Lini gave her. It's the only explanation she sees. Which means she'll have to talk to her. Soonest.

She's so deep in her thoughts that she almost misses Sandy's countdown. At the very last instant, she dives in the corner, not really caring if she gets some scraps or a bloody nose when she hits the ground: more important is to not give the two men an opportunity to react in time, as well as protecting her ears.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Composure: 10d6t5 3
Should be enough to hide any reaction at the vision of the dogs I hope.

Gymnastics: 5d6t5 2, for the dive. Not bad considering... I don't know for her skin, but at least she should be able to keep her nose in one piece...

And I suppose it can be useful:
Initiative: 10+1d6 14

Oh and I now have enough to buy my two Prime Datahaven Membership, so it can be done whenever you want.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2042 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel and Cerczk seem to relax at your words and neither are prepared for you throwing yourself at the corner of the outer wall. They are even less prepared for the extremely loud buzzsaw noise made by the machinegun on Sandy's Bumblebee drone or for the hail of bullets that comes in through the ceiling above you. For a few moments the office is full of the sounds of the bullets and the screams of the men in the room with you. When the firing stops, you can still hear screaming, but it seems to be coming from the main dining area. You are covered in dust and debris and a low moan comes from over by the desk, so at least one other person survived.

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: I am coming for you and have your rifle. Are alright?<<

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:42, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #605

With all that dust, Cynthia coughs quite a bit >>Sandy [Cynthia]: I... Yeah, I think so... One of them's moving, though.<< She puts a hand on her ringing forehead >>Sandy [Cynthia]: I was expecting flashbangs or stuff like that, not the fragging artillery...<< She sighs >>Sandy [Cynthia]: Good thing I...took care of the 'links in the place. Though I'll have to edit the nearby cameras now. I already have them marked, should be easy enough, but KE will come soon.<<

She stands up then, grimacing at the collection of small scraps she somehow collected in the last few seconds. She stops though, looking carefully around >>Sandy [Cynthia]: Where's the big guy?<<

Cynthia checks on the nearby cameras she had hacked earlier to monitor the tea house to see if she can find the other guy. As she does, she tells Arsène {Don't bother with the KE alarms, with that amount of noise we'd need to hack everything 100m around us. Just make sure nothing's left - and especially transmitted - of the drones, Sandy or I. I'll take care of the cameras around if I'm done before you are.}
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2043 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

>>Cynthia [Arsene]: Oui, Cherie. I am on it.<<

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Sorry about the misunderstanding. The sniper drone is engaging Havel and he is wounded, but he is moving into the tea house behind me. I am coming through the door to the office and I have your rifle.<<

The feed from one of the drones shows you Havel on the ground but trying to get to his feet. The other feed shows that the two men and the dogs are still standing still.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:43, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #606

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: It's cool, I was just surprised is all. Alright. We're only missing Anton then.<<

Keeping an eye on the drone feeds and cameras, Cynthia first looks for the best way to deal with the current situation. Waiting for Sandy, she instructs her to move some of her drones in order to maximise the fields of fire efficiency, with a rotodrone dedicated to wait in ambush for Havel, the sniper drone harassing him, to make sure he looks behind him and not in front. Hopefully, he's shell shocked, and not expecting the girls to have this amount of skills. The bumblebee should be moving to the back, still able to put pressure if need be, but close to the van for a speedy recovery.

Once she has things covered on that side, she starts to work on finding the best exfil route to leave the neighborhood without running into KE checkpoint or witnesses. There are none now, but there might. Better safe than sorry.

All the while, she's careful to stay vigilant of what is going on in the room. One of them is moaning, which is not dangerous, but he could be doing a lot more than moaning.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

To find the best way to deal with the known hostile, avoid the "civilians", and not let ourselves open for surprises:
Small units Tactics: 10d6t5 4
First use of the skill, and it's a decent roll, it's nice.

Now to find the best exit route:
Matrix Search, Matrix Perception, Area Knowledge: Seattle: 15d6t5 5 15d6t5 3 10d6t5 4

Are there medkits nearby? I suppose it's standard procedure to leave them easy to spot even in the matrix?
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2044 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Sandy rushes through the door, stumbling over the body of Cerczk on the floor. You can see a large blood stain at her right side as she stands up and her face grimaces in pain. She comes towards you, stumbling again before she kneels at your side and hands you your rifle. "Anton is dead. He tried.......he tried.......Frag, he had a gun and fucking shot me. I guess I clustered this one all up. Sorry. The van is coming to the back..............should be here...........soon. Take it and go. Sorry." She puts her head on the floor and sort of falls over with a groan.

You hear movement from behind the desk as Pavel jerks to his feet, a large handgun in one hand as the other steadies him against the desk. "You bitches! You killed my Anton. At least it looks like he has killed her, too. Now I finish the job and kill you. You should have left everything alone, both of you. They are too powerful and cannot be stopped. Certainly not by some little girls." He suddenly seems to notice that you have your rifle in your hands and begins to bring his pistol up.

You see an ARO pointing out a first aid that is located in the third drawer of the desk.

OOC:

I am assuming that your matrix search is not in VR.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:44, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #607

For a moment, Cynthia had been worried. Had they done the right thing? Could it have been a misunderstanding? Sandy stumbling in the room, shot by Anton at least has the advantage to clear things quite a lot. At this point, Cynthia is almost calm. Not in an unthinking sort of way, since. n the contrary, she's busy analysing the situation, prioritising actions and planning the next step.

Not matter what she chooses to do however, the first item on the lits is always the same: put Pavel down. To that effect, she shoots a full burst at him, ready to jump on the side if he doesn't go down.

If he does however, she doesn't lose time, grabbing the medkit and putting it to work on Sandy. To help that, she puts her biomonitor on Sandy's wrist. And... Well, since she doesn't know anything about first aid, she'll need all the help she can. Not really caring about the blood she puts on herself, She follows the instructions of the medkit, trying to at least stabilise Sandy. Thankfully, she manages to at least do that. Things become a bit more difficult when she tries to do more though, but refusing to give up, she manages to improve the situation a little bit.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

It was indeed in AR.

To see show Cynthia is holding up:
Not great but good enough I suppose.

Assault Rifle: 10d6t5 1
Looks like the dice gods don't like when Cynthia shoots people.
In case the attack fails, I can always use a point of edge to reroll 9d, but I'm hoping that the penalties (-9d from the full auto, hopefully there's some from wounds) make it so that he won't be able to dodge anything.
Should it hit, it does 8S, AP-7 (Cynthia only has Stick & Shock).

I made the assumption that the medkit was rating 3. Cynthia then had 8d (Logic 6, no points in First Aid so defaulting, plus 3 from the medkit) to try and beat a threshold of 3 to stabilise Sandy:
Stabilise: 8d6t5 4
Which succeeds, thankfully. Note that I forgot to remove one dice from the poor (but indoor) condition, and 1 from the essence from implants (I suppose she has between 4.00 and 5.99 of Essence). The last two dice on the roll were not successes though, so it doesn't change the result.

First Aid (pre edged): 9d6h5 1
That's one crappy roll...

Alright, trying again, with one less die and post-edging this time (my last edge point, hope I won't need one anytime soon... Unless there's been some refresh for heroic actions, pushing the story forward or stuff like that of course nyahnyah.gif)
First Aid (try again): 5d6t5 1
First Aid (post edge): 4d6t5 2

Yeah, I manage to heal one box of physical damage \o/
Of course, if the medkit is better than that, it could have gone slightly better, but I'll let you judge that ^^
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2045 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

The man's upper torso is a clear target, but you can blame the noise, your anxiety, or just bad luck for almost missing Pavel. The blood spreading from a wound on his chest probably helps you more than your skill does and his body jerks to the shock as your burst barely connects. His pistol falls from suddenly nerveless fingers and he staggers back from the desk in obvious agony but does not go down. Mouth open in pain, he cannot seem to get a word out as he clutches at the wall behind him with his one good hand.

OOC:

We can save your first aid rolls if you want to shoot Pavel again. Your crappy roll combined with his gave him a bunch of stun but not enough to take him down.

I was under the impression that essence modifiers only applied to magical healing and that tech healing, like first aid and medkits, is unaffected. Am I wrong?
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:45, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #608

Cynthia looks at Pavel almost clinically, dispassionately. After a second, it becomes obvious he won't go down just with that. Weapon or no, it doesn't really matter to her: if she leaves him conscious, he will be a threat. She triggers the weapon again, sending more bullets his way, it's the only way she can be sure to be able to help Sandy and get out of this mess.

She doesn't forget however to check that Havel was successfully engaged and put down by the rotodrone she had put on his way back in.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Assault Rifle: 10d6t5 3
Not great either but still better. It's also a full auto burst, so same modifiers as before, and same damage (8S AP-7, even if we don't care much about AP here...)

We can save the stabilisation roll and forget the first aid ones maybe? No? Oh...

For the Essence modifier, I thought so too, but I don't see any specification to that effect. I made a mistake though, since it's for every two full points missing. So from 6.00 to 4.01 there is no modifier, but it doesn't change much. In fact it was so bad I didn't get any more success.
First Aid (missing die): 1d6h5 0 1d6t5 0 1d6t5 0

Note for later: invest in First Aid and a good medkit... It should be mandatory to have a rating 6 medkit in every place open to the public.
Mercy
Wednesday 12 June 2075 2046 Spetz Tea House Touristville Seattle

Pavel throws his arms up as he dances to the electrical surge moving through his body. His eyes roll up into his head and he collapses on the floor. As you race to the desk and the med kit you have to pass over his feebly twitching body. A quick check of the drone feeds shows the legs and lower torso of a large man laying in the outer doorway of the tea house but the men and dogs have disappeared. With Sandy unconscious or dead, there is no one to really control the drones in the area and the one watching the place the men had been standing shows bare pavement.

Your mind does not really have much time to figure much of this out right now as you race back to Sandy with the medkit. Your fingers fumble a bit as you try to attach the leads to her and the bio-monitor tells you that her vital signs are close to critical failure. You are fortunate that the kit knows what it is doing better than you do and life-saving drugs are pumped into the girl at your knees. The vital signs indicate that she is stabilized, but the next check does not give you a lot of hope and a truly minimal amount of healing is done. Something out of the corner of your eye makes you look up and you see a wavering, gauzy form of a man and a huge dog standing in the door of the office. Without any sort of verbal command the hound disappears behind the desk and you hear something that sounds like cloth ripping as the man crouches near you, holding your eyes so that you cannot turn away. You can see deep into...............something. Something odd; it is like looking into a tunnel that seems to go on forever. The man reaches out and touches Sandy and she jerks and gasps for air as her eyes fly open wide. The man stands as Sandy coughs and grabs your arm. You still feel frozen in place as the man walks to the office door and the hound comes from behind the desk to join its master. The large dog turns its head to look at you and its muzzle and front are now as red as its eyes are before he follows the man out.

You are jarred back into action by Sandy using your shoulder to stand. "Oh drek. Oh holy shit. I feel like I should be dead. What the frag happened and was that one of the men...................?"

She stumbles to the edge of the desk for support and sees what is on the other side, causing her to lean over and retch up everything she has eaten today. "God, Cynthia, we need to leave. Someone called the KE guys and they are on the way. The van is right outside and I am sending the drones to it. Are you hurt? Can you walk?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 20:46, Wednesday June 12th, 2075 - Spetz Tea House, Touristville, Seattle] #609

Not moving, not really seeing anything, Cynthia answers tonelessly, without thinking about it "You almost were. I managed to stop the bleeding but I couldn't do much more. The...guy...healed you though."

Then, after a minute, she shakes herself. When her mind catches up to everything that just happened, she looks in Pavel's direction, or what's left of him, and turns green, only managing through sheer strength of will to not throw up. She stands up then "I'm alright. Nothing more than a few scraps. You'll have to invest in something more sturdy than simple clothes though..."

She looks at the ground with a frown "There's some of your blood everywhere here, try to find something to torch the place, or at least destroy your DNA and don't leave prints everywhere. I'll finish scrubbing the nearby cameras logs." she sends a file then "Here's the best exit route. I've included alternatives if needed. How long do we have before they're here?"

She rubs her forehead then, forgetting that her hands are covered in Sandy's blood. She then walks to what's left of Pavel, trying to ignore the sights to grab his 'link. Maybe it was more opportunity than plan on his part, but there may be stuff regarding the mercenaries in there. And even if there isn't, she can't exactly let that here.

Then she focuses on the nearby cameras to remove the digital traces, while Sandy takes care of the physical ones. She doesn't bother with subtlety there, and just removes the logs of the past hour, making sure that nothing new is logged in the next ten minutes. Good thing she already had those cameras Marked. She'll have to edit a bunch of other cameras on the way out, to make it appear that they went and came from elsewhere than the tea house, but she'll do that in the van. Every route she indicated goes through a nearby 'Shack. She intends to hack the cameras on the way there to make it look like the van never stopped at the Teahouse, but instead went to the 'Shack. There, hacking the cameras and registers should be child's play, to make it look like they stopped there to buy a few things to eat, before driving on their way back downtown.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Hopefully enough for all that.

The cameras are all already marked, so it should be pretty simple to remove the logs and make sure they don't see anything in the coming minutes. If everything goes right at the Teahouse, you can put her plan into motion to speed things up, or just treat it as a future plan if need be. I'll make some rolls, which can be used now or later.

Hack on the fly (+2VR): 5#19d6t5 7 8 6 6 7, I hit my limit of 6 in each case, so the hacking part shouldn't give Cynthia any difficulties.
Now for the general files edition (of the cameras on the way to the 'Shack), Which is more subtle stuff than just erasing the logs of those near the Teahouse:
Edit File (+2 VR): 5#15d6t5 3 6 6 4 6
Should be enough for what I want (which is just insert the van driving in the street).

At the 'Shack, the goal is to make it appear like Cynthia and Sandy stopped there and bought some stuff, then left at the time they're really going by. For the sales, Cynthia just takes a real ticket of a few days ago and changes the date to match. A ticket for what two teenaged girls could have realistically bought of course, and she's careful to make the video logs looks like they really did buy that. On the video, they appear for a total of roughly 5 minutes (all included), but there is some time where they are in the toilets or in blind spots, so that the times can match.

Due to some...curse...and rolls defying probabilities....it was much more complicated than it should have been, but in the end Cynthia managed to get what she wanted after a minute and a half. The Host was briefly alerted to an intrusion, but "quickly managed to repel the invader". No damage to Cynthia, but Arsène's second task was used. And Cynthia is pissed off.

Details are in the spoiler.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012