Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Meira
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2011, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt grins. "I did not think that I did go for the ink, but it is you and it suits you and it's growing on me. I will leave it up to you whether or not you cover them up for the weekend, but do not do it for me. I will not be embarrassed if you want to leave them exposed and I will support you against anyone that tries to embarrass you. Your call, entirely. So you get wrapped up in your work? So do I, which is probably why my last relationship did not work out. Well, that and the fact that she apparently slept with other men. So I have learned a lesson, but don't have anyone to practice the new, more attentive me on. I think that part of my problem is that I would get so into work that I would forget things, like appointments. You would think that I should have all of those, and everything else, in my 'link or in some implant, right? Well, sadly, no. So if you are interested in a full time gig, I could use some combination of secretary, appointment nag, and bodyguard."

"Hmmm, music and entertainment. Well the entertainment part should be easy to guess. Besides inventing it, I happen to really like my game. Odd, huh? For other entertainment, I like to bowl. Have you ever been to a bowling alley? If not, I should take you some time. I listen to a lot of music and have spent hundreds of hours finding just the right music for the game. What about you? Music and entertainment?"
fibericon
"Well, you already know what I like for movies. I go for electronic music, but not enough that I can actually identify the different sub-genres. Basically anything that's synth and vocals. You don't want me managing your schedule, though. You'll get fired for sure." She smirks and adds, "I've done bowling, sure. It never really clicked for me as a hobby, but it wasn't bad. In fact, I've only ever really gotten into 'pointless' physical activity. You know, non-competitive, non-performance type of things? I kept hearing in the Tir that I should have been a dancer, but I don't even know where they got the idea. It was never even on the table for me."

She makes a mental note to watch some instructions on formal dance before the weekend, probably from that same stuck up instructor.

"Have you considered a modern game in the same vein as the one you've already developed?"
Mercy

Matt nods. "You will have to take me to one of your synth music spots and let me listen. I imagine it is much different in a place than just over a 'link. And don't sell yourself short. I bet if it was your job, you would be terrific at keeping me organized. That was a serious offer, by the way. I happen to have a job opening for that, if you are interested, I would love to give you a shot at it."

He smiles at you after you talk about dancing. "I can see their comments, yes. But it sounds like you have not really tried. I am actually a pretty good dancer. Would you like a few pointers? Now?"
fibericon
Meira raises her hand palm up, shaking her head in mild annoyance and disbelief.

"Yeah, sure, I guess. Might as well be prepared for corporate Foxtrot shenanigans. Or whatever it is that takes place there."
Mercy

Matt smiles at you. "Come on, it won't kill you and I don't bite. And by the way, don't tell anyone, but the old brain does indeed have something new cooking up there. It's a big surprise, but if I can make it work, it might just be bigger than Vampire Hunter. But it is nothing more than some loose stuff in my head right now."

He takes your hand and moves you to a clear spot on the floor then faces you. Putting his other hand on your waist, he begins to guide you through some basic dance steps. He is a strong dancer and knows how to lead you well. "See, you're getting the hang of it. And as to shenanigans at the party? Yeah, there ought to be plenty. I have been to a couple of these and the bedroom shenanigans are legendary, The party is usually some sort of celebration of the past year with some lip service to a bit of team building tossed in. It is one of those things where spouses are supposed to turn a blind eye to straying. I don't really see the point of it, myself. I mean, if you are really into someone, why jeopardize that for a fling. I mean, one can say it stays there, but does it really? I don't think I could turn my memory off." He shrugs a bit. "But I am in the minority there, based on all the out-of-relationship couplings I have seen in past years. I just refrain form participating and have a good time otherwise. You will have to come to your own decisions on what you do there."

Despite your reticence, you are learning some basic dance steps. It helps that he is keeping your mind occupied with talking. On some level, it feels good to be in his arms, even though it is only dancing.
fibericon
Meira tenses somewhat as he touches her waist, narrowly avoiding her shockweave. She wasn't a touchy person besides, but she didn't want to knock him on his ass, either.

"Wow, that was very, very lucky on your part. I uh... I may have forgotten to warn you about the shockweave. You'll be fine if you don't move your hand up. Or down. Or... yeah, you get the idea. Anyway, you're a romantic. It's weird to be a romantic, in any environment. Yeah, I watch those trids, but they're just stories - usually bad ones. Bad ones that I eat up, but hey. Point is, you have to expect that not everyone is going to accept what you think is right, no matter how strongly you feel that way. If you don't believe me, talk to a missionary, and you'll see how it feels to talk to someone completely adamant about beliefs that are totally alien to you. Then understand that this is how you look to your company."

OOC: Performance: 0 -> 1
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2015, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt looks startled. "Shockweave? I guess I am lucky. I am surprised that you thought you would need that over here. Any other nasty things I should be aware of?"
fibericon
Meira offers her signature half scoff, half chuckle.

"It's not so much 'over here' as it is 'everywhere'. I don't enjoy being touched in general, and I'm not safe around anyone. You might think you're a good guy, but there are no exceptions to that rule. If the notion offends you, you trust me way too much. Don't let a pretty face get your guard down, Matt. You're luckier than you realize, just based on how open you've been with me. I sincerely hope you learn to remedy that, or it's going to be really hard to protect you."
Mercy

Matt frowns a bit then nods. "That is pretty cynical, Meira. Why do you feel the need to have no exceptions to that rule? It would seem that you have decided to go through your life alone. Aren't you even a bit interested in taking a risk that you might might find happiness?" He pauses then blushes and quickly adds. "Not that I am saying it needs to be me, but just in general. It does seem a sad way to live. But then, I guess you would not have to experience the pain of losing someone to betrayal and cheating. So maybe your way is better..............but I think I will stick with mine for now and hope that someday my perfect woman will come into my life and want to share mine."
fibericon
"Call it laziness, but it's easier this way. And it's not just about getting heartbroken. You need to consider your physical safety as well." Meira rolls her shoulders and rubs the back of her neck, then shakes her head at him, "Anyway, I'm not looking for any Mr, or for that matter, Mrs Right. You're going to do what you want, regardless of what advice anyone gives you. That's not a shot at you, either - everyone is like that. And for your sake, I hope it works out. Just try not to be too naive about it, I guess is what I'm saying here. Look, just... just look at how I act over the weekend, while bearing in mind that I'm completely and utterly full of crap the whole time. Everyone figured out how to lie, but at some point along the way, they forgot everyone else could do it too."
Mercy

Matt gets a serious look on his face. "Do you want a neck and shoulder rub? I can do a pretty good massage, you know. No strings attached and no funny business attempted, unless you invite it." He pauses for a bit then adds, "And I doubt if people are really looking for the Mr or Mrs Right when it happens. I think that it just happens and people know it when they get lucky enough to find the right person. Can I ask if someone hurt you in the past? Hurt your heart, I mean?"
fibericon
Meira smirks. "It's a social tick, not muscle pain. And no, I don't have a comparable experience to yours - I'm just career oriented. Betrayal happens at corporate level too, sure, but that's a whole other can of worms. Look, I'm gonna go. There's a lot of work to be done. Thanks for having me."

Meira heads out, and once inside her own home, rolls her eyes and shoots off a text to Karyth. "New neighbor has an elf fetish. It's creepy as hell, but I'm going to take your advice and see how playing bodyguard works out."

She goes over to her bar counter, mixes a drink, and ticks off "meet with Volley" on her tabletop list. She then turns her attention to the matrix, hunting down some more social instruction. "All right, Thelessia. I'll put up with more of your attitude. Teach me how to be a beautiful liar."
Mercy

Matt smiles and walks you to the door. "Good night, Meira. Thank you for coming over. I had a nice time."

By the time you get back to your house you have a text from him. >>Hey, I forgot to ask you when I should pick you up for dinner at Dante's tomorrow night. What is convenient for you?<<

Karyth responds to your text. >>LOL What is creepy about that? Lots of human guys have that problem. And congrats on rethinking the bodyguard gig. I think that the biggest asset any bodyguard can have is smarts, and you got that in spades.............as long as you stay away from the drugs. Luck to you.<<

fibericon
Meira thumbs out a response to Karyth, grinning at the screen. "You know those expats you see in bars in the Tir? The ones who learn Sperethiel so they can get laid? Yeah, it's like that. Bodyguard requirement is that I pretend to be his woman, but that's not super weird, I guess. Looks better if you're not stomping around with obvious muscle."

Looking back at her list, she considers her reply to Matt for a moment. She doesn't know yet what tomorrow will bring - Trance might not even get back to her at all for a while, let alone Volley. Any appointment with Pug is a sure thing, but she just has to pick up the goods. "1900 too late?"

As for Volley, he might be interested in how many house mods Matt had. Wiping some condensation off her screen from her drink, she fires off a text to him as well. "Carson's place is extensively modded. Everything is new. He claims the previous owners did it and never used it. Gym, virtual butler, secret doors. Could be telling the truth, but seems fishy. Thought you should know."

She settles in with her drink, and watches the elf on screen. "Once you realize that everyone, deep down, wants to be lied to, everything flows from there. The narrative writes itself, and you just have to flow seamlessly with it."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2017, Matt's House, Seattle

Karyth responds to you and you can almost see the guy laughing. >>Yeah, I know what you mean. I have scored my share of human wives that way. They come on into the Tir for a short vacation with a need to "understand" us better. Most are just looking to get laid by one of us so they can go home and talk to their friends about the experience. I like to give them something to talk about. Pretending to be his woman is a good way to make your job easier. If you can pull it off, you could keep any opposition off balance until it is too late. It would work even better if he did have a guard that fit the mold, you know, in addition to you. That way, you would be even more invisible. But it sounds to me like you are not really all that into the guy, so pulling off the bed partner thing might be tough for you. You willing to go that route to sell the act?<<

Matt must have been waiting, because his response is right back at you. >>Hey, that is perfect. I will be there.<<

Even Volley must still be awake. >>Sounds fishy to me, too, dear. Be careful. Guys that seem open can be hiding something.<<

Yeah, the elf on the screen is telling the truth and it resonates with you. Lies, lies, lies.
fibericon
Karyth was right - she was bad socially. It stuck out in the Tir especially, but it wasn't exactly subtle in Seattle either. "I'm trying to be a pretty little liar - watching tutorials and everything! Hey, I got the 'little' part down pat, right?"

She rubs her face and narrows her eyes at the screen. Solid advice being told, to the point that she had to wonder what the instructor was getting out of all of this. Sure, some people are good at things others are bad at, but it takes a special type of person to tell you just how much eye contact to make to sell a lie.

Downing her drink in one, she looks around her own waste of space she calls a home. So far, she's only bothered to setup stashes for her drugs. What she needs is some proper home protection - electronic security, gun stashes, the works. She could practically see Pug's grin as she thought about it. Trance might get another call too - couldn't hurt to have a safehouse.

But all that would have to wait for tomorrow. After finishing a few more videos, she sets her alarm for 10am and turns her ringer up to max volume. One shower later, with some extra washing to get that temporary black dye out of her hair, she crashes out.
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2017, Matt's House, Seattle

>>They make tutorials on lying? I hope that you did not pay too much money for those. Listen, in my opinion, a good lie is one you can tell when looking someone in the eye and mean it. The best lie is one that is partially or mostly true. Those are easier to remember when you have to tell them again, and they are harder to detect, because you do not have to pretend honesty. Cloak your lies in the truth and you will succeed most of the time. Now, if that works, send me the money you are paying for those tutorials. You be safe and let me know how it all works out.<<

Friday 14 June 2076 0826, Meira's House, Seattle

Morning comes early and you wake well before the alarm goes off. Not even you can sleep that long without being dead tired. Your head is turning over the planned events of the day as you lay in bed, trying to avoid getting up to use the toilet.
fibericon
Meira rubs her face and rolls less than gracefully out of bed, then yawns and heads for the bathroom. She should have set a much earlier alarm and gone for an early morning run, but too late for that now. Now she has to do a daytime run. Workout clothes, a couple hidden weapons, and out the door to jog in the park. Breakfast would have to wait. She keeps an ear out for anything that requires her attention, mulling over last night's instructions in her head. No armored workout clothing - Pug would have to fix that for her. Even if only one run goes bad out of three thousand, that's a dead jogger in about eight years.

At home, she punches in a large breakfast and heads for the shower, hoping her machine could function unattended. Out of the shower, she shoots a text off to Avery, then Vincent - gotta keep in contact with your contacts, or they forget about you. "What's the word? Anything I need to know?"

OOC: Con 0 -> 1. Acting skill group unified.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 0833, Meira's House, Seattle

As you leave the house for your run, you notice a white step-van parked outside of Matt's house. The signage on the side of the van indicates that it is from "Atlas Security - We Protect The World". The front door to his house is open and two men are kneeling at the door, using tools of some kind. Matt is standing in the open doorway, watching the men work and drinking something from a steaming mug. He sees you and smiles as he raises his cup to acknowledge your presence as you jog by. The van is still parked in the same place when you return but the men are nowhere to be seen and the door is closed.

Avery responds, but not right away. >>Hey, you dying or dead? If not, try not to send messages this time of day. Don't need the wife thinking I'm cheating on her, right? So what do you want?<<

You receive an auto-response message from Vincent. >>I am currently away from the office. Your message will be answered in the order it was received when I return.<<
fibericon
Meira gives Avery some more time, finishing her breakfast and going through the security footage before replying, mostly interested in seeing if they found her toys. "Just making sure you haven't been popped, omae."

Waking up in the day when you don't have much to do is certainly interesting. There was time for a shooting range, even. She was always garbage with a rifle, but that EBR was gorgeous. It was also pricey, which would make Pug happy. She thumbs out a message to Trance. "Know a range where I can practice with a Cavalier Arms Crocket EBR? I'm thinking of buying, but I wanna feel it first."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 0850, Meira's House, Seattle

>>Yeah, your concern is appreciated. Is that it or do you actually need something?<<

All of the bugs you placed are dead except for one audio only and one regular one covering the living room. You see four men, each with some small box in a hand walking about and running the device on the surfaces of just about everything in the room. You note a small glitch in the feed when one of the men passes his device close to your sensor's hiding spot then it pops back on as the device moves away. You watch as the men bring Matt a small container and show him something inside it. "We found these bugs in the house, sir. I think we got them all, but we can do another quick search."

Matt is shaking his head and frowning. "No, thank you. I will have someone from Horizon come over and do a search. Are you sure that you have everything?"

The man laughs. "Never say that, sir. Always possible that one or two could be missed. Some are pretty damned small and can be hidden just about anywhere. But, yes, I think we got them all. You can have these. They are deactivated now and maybe someone at your shop can find out who placed them here. Some of these were hid pretty well."

After that, the men go about their business and Matt goes to sit on the sofa. He picks up his 'link a couple of times but puts it down without making a call then he grabs it up and enters a code. Suddenly, your 'link buzzes with an incoming call, startling you just a bit.
fibericon
Meira puts her hand over her mouth, trying not to laugh while chewing. Yeah, they caught the bugs, alright. The next sweep will get the rest for sure. Grinning, she thumbs out a response to Avery. "Yep. Just checking in. Lemme know if you need anything."

She quickly swallows her mouthful of food and mutes the sound on the hub to not get feedback and answers her link. "Talk to me."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 0853, Meira's House, Seattle

It is Matt. >>Hey, just wanted to let you know I was not imagining things the other night. I have some guys over to hook up some new security stuff and they found some bugs hidden around the rooms. I am going to get some Horizon security guys over as soon as possible and get the place swept good. Just thought you should know.<<
fibericon
"Stop working at home and people won't bug your place. You're valuable to corporate, yeah? That would be my guess. These corps go at each other a lot. Be glad it was a bug and not a bullet. You know who put 'em in yet? Got a competing team in a big mega that wants a leg up? I mean, it's hard to imagine someone just wants to creep on you jogging or whatever. You piss anyone off lately? Nah, scratch that - they'd just pop you. Gotta be corporate." She takes another, more manageable bite and adds, "Hey, maybe they just wanted to know how to get the high score. Gotta figure the creator has the best skills, right?"

Mercy

There is silence on the end of the line for a moment. >>Sarcasm, Meira? I can get that from Ralph if I want it. I was not concerned about me, but I thought you might want to know that whoever was using the bugs would have seen you over here. I am sorry I caught you at a bad moment. I will see you later.<< The line goes dead.
fibericon
Meira shrugs and goes back to her breakfast, then stops mid-chew, her brow furrowed. She picks her phone back up and thumbs out a text to Volley. "That girl who cheated on Carson still alive?"

She finishes her breakfast and gets her go kit ready. Things were quiet now, but if those security chumps knew what they were doing, it wouldn't be long before things got real hot. She shuts off the hub and disassembles it, possibly breaking some components in the process since she doesn't know what she's doing. The parts get crammed in a bag while she thinks about what to do with them.
Mercy

>>I will check and get back to you.<<

By the time you get the hub broken down and stowed away, Volley is back at you. >>Carey Linton, sometimes called by her middle name, Lydia. Attached are the comcode and address, just in case.<<
fibericon
Meira elects to stuff the bag of parts in her duffel bag with her serious mission gear, and gives the woman a call.

"Ms. Linton? My name is Meira. This is regarding Matt Carson. Before you hang up, I'm not trying to accuse you of anything. I'd simply like to hear your side of the story."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 0857, Meira's House, Seattle

There is a silence on the phone for a few seconds. >>Sure, but if you are some kind of media slut, I am afraid that you are looking under the wrong pile of refuse. You want my side of the story? I am assuming that you are talking about why Matt Carson and I are no longer an item. The answer, as plain as I can make it is that he is just too damned nice. He was always putting me first and doing things for me, like a gentleman of a past century or two, you know? Never raised his voice to me. Never raised a hand to me. Listened when I talked to him and laughed at my stupid jokes as if he really got them and thought they were funny. And smart? Boy is he smart. Probably his worst personal trait is that he was only so so in bed. I put that down to inexperience and I think he is trainable, but I just ran out of time to train him. No, I am afraid that the breakup was pretty much my fault. I got tired of the guy being nice to me. I wanted someone who was a bit more gritty and....and....and maybe more argumentative. I mean, he was always willing to discuss things and he does have his own opinions, but he never seemed to get mad or raise his voice. I want to make that clear; he will stand for his convictions and will be prepared to back them up, but he is not afraid to say he is wrong, although he had a maddening talent for being right most of the time so I would advise your readers to not bet against him. He is in good physical condition and likes to exercise. I think he is addicted to pizza and you could probably get marinara sauce from his veins if you poked him. He loves his independence and really does not like living in the compound, so was always moving out until they brought him back in for some reason. It got to the point where I just needed something more than nice, so, yeah, I went looking for someone a little rougher, a little edgier. A sort of bad boy. I should have told Matt and maybe we could have worked it out, but I got drunk one night and ended up in bed with some guy I picked up in a bar and I was hooked. He found out about it all when I was about five lovers into breaking his heart. I was sad, but not for me, mind you. I was sad for him because of what I did to the guy. You know, I have been called lots of things since then, not by him, mind you, but by others. Slut and gold digger top the list, but it was not like that. I liked the guy but I realized that I did not love him. I took the coward's way out and let him catch me in bed with one of my boyfriends and that ended it. Not the story that you were hoping for? Tough. I won't dish dirt on a guy that is as nice as he is. You will have to find dirt elsewhere. Any questions?<<
fibericon
Meira feels her gut tighten as the other woman speaks. No one is this willing to self incriminate. She was either paid off or threatened.

"You've made your position on the matter very clear. Thank you for your time."

After hanging up, Meira scrambles for a pen and pad, and writes in large block text, "IF YOU ARE IN DANGER, LAUGH IN MY FACE. I CAN GET YOU OUT." She then goes around to the rest of the kamikaze hidden around her home and stashes it in the duffel bag. Heading out quickly, she starts walking toward Lux's bar and calls him.

"Meira, it's early. What-?"

"Ever had a hunch, where you might be wrong, but if you're right and ignore it you won't be able to live with yourself? I might have to go underground. Address burned, the works. I might be paranoid for nothing. If I'm not, I gotta make sure someone else doesn't get geeked who doesn't deserve it. First, I need to drop a bag off at your bar. It won't be there long - I'll be back to pick it up."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 0912, On The Way To Lux's, Seattle

>>Huh? You aren't making any sense, Meira. You drunk or on something? But yeah, you know you can leave your drek at the bar. Come on down, I will have the rear service entrance open for you. You alone?<<
fibericon
"I wish I was drunk. Yeah, I'm alone. See you soon, Lux."

She hangs up and makes her way to the bar post haste, keeping an eye and ear out for a tail. Once sure she's not being followed, she ducks in through the service entrance and drops her bag off.

"I might be wasting my time and energy. If that's the case, we'll have a drink and laugh about it later. But right now, I need to go check on someone. Maybe I'll see you soon, Lux."

Before leaving, she changes her AR overlay to business attire, then quickly heads over to the address Volley had given her. She knocks, waiting for the woman to answer.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1015, Carey Linton's House, Seattle

Lux nods and takes your bag from you. "This will be in the cellar. You stay safe, eh? I worry about you."

A woman opens the door after you knock. She seems a bit taken aback by your ink. "Yes? May I help you?"
fibericon
After a quick glance to make sure no one was standing behind the woman, she starts talking, showing her the message on the notepad as she does.

"Hi, I'm Meira. We talked on the phone?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1015, Carey Linton's House, Seattle

The woman looks at the note and shakes her head, but there is something in her eyes that catches your attention. "Wow, you media sluts just will not give up. I was just going to grab some caf down at the 'Shack about a block away. If you want to come along, I can repeat what I already told you. Maybe if I say it enough, you will let this go?"
fibericon
Meira puts the pad away and chuckles, flashing the woman a smile and shaking her head.

"Alright, you got me. Listen, I like your moxie. Let's go get that caf, it's on me."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1017, Outside Carey Linton's House, Seattle

Carey grabs a sweater and comes outside with you, pointing off down the street. "The 'Shack is that way." She walks next to you with her hands in her pockets. Her voice drops low. "Are you a reporter looking for a scoop? Are you able to help someone or is that sign just a way to get an interview?"
fibericon
Meira begins walking with the other woman, lowering her voice as well, "I'm not a reporter. I have a lot of ways to help, and there's nothing you can say that would scare me off. No part of this needs to be public unless you want it to be."

Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1017, Outside Carey Linton's House, Seattle

Carey nods but remains quiet for the rest of the walk. She pulls a pack of cigarettes out and offers you one before tapping one out for herself and lighting up. She has it down to the butt by the time you get to the 'Shack. Walking inside, she moves over to get two cups of caf and takes them to one of the tables off to the side, but not too far from the doorway. Her voice stays low as she talks between sips. "So, tell me who you are and why you are here. If I think you are square, I might be able to fill in some of your blanks. Maybe. Or maybe I just walk away. You spill first."
fibericon
"I'm former military. Now I work private sector. Carson moved in next to me, so I looked into him. It was just standard procedure to protect myself, but things didn't add up in my mind. So I called you, and, well, I figured you'd been threatened or paid off. To answer the question I think you're thinking, the reason I care what happens to you is I can't leave well enough alone. Whatever you might think of military, or the Tir, I signed up to keep people safe. Safer for me to forget about you, but I'm okay with the consequences. I'm not okay with ignoring this."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1018, Outside Carey Linton's House, Seattle

The woman stops with her cup halfway to her lips as you talk then sets it down on the table in front of her. her hands are trembling a little and the cup jiggles a bit on the table.She looks down at the table in front of her and reaches for her pack of cigarettes, stopping only when the clerk behind the counter yells at her. "HEY! No smoking in here. Can't you read the signs?"

Startled, she looks around and nods, putting the pack away. She takes a breath and looks back at you, still talking softly. "Frag. Listen, you got it part right. I was paid off, but..............but not like you think. I was paid to have sex with as many random guys as it would take until Matt caught me. I could see that Matt was really only going through the motions because he did not want to hurt me and I was not so much into him that the money wasn't a good incentive. It was a lot of money, so I took the offer. Besides, like I said, he really wasn't that good in bed anyway. Oh, he tried, but it just wasn't clicking you know. No real spark. I liked him, still like him, but it was not going to end at all like the fairy tale. So, yeah, I took the money and it took five guys before Matt found out. I think it broke his heart a bit, but not enough to really scar him."

Her hand makes another move toward the pack of cigarettes but she pulls it back. "I think he is the one in trouble. About eight months ago, he started getting these calls in the middle of the night. A couple of times I pretended to stay asleep and he talked in the bedroom. He was angry but I overheard him say twice that they had better not hurt her, or something like that. Then I think I heard a woman's voice come on and talk to him. Couldn't make out any words except his, of course, but he seemed to care for her. He has never married and his mother is dead, so a sister or niece, maybe? Don't know. Don't really want to know. Anyway, after that, he started acting funny. There were a couple of other calls and he would talk like he was sending them something. You know, like maybe secrets about the game.............or the next game, the one he has in his head."

Her head jerks up and she pales. "Oh God! Listen, I gotta go. I shouldn't have said anything. I knew they were not going to let me keep the money." She reaches into her purse and grabs two 'sticks that she passes on to you. "Pay the check and walk away. Help him if you can, but help yourself first. I am going to the restroom then I am out of here."

Carey stands and grabs her purse but pauses to nod at you. "Watch out for some guy named Ralph. He comes on as Matt's best friend, but there is something not right there. Not sure what, though, I thought for a bit that Matt was bi, but I am pretty sure that isn't it. So I got no real reason, but my gut says he is no good." Then she heads off to the restroom in the back. Your attention goes to a man who is at the counter. Otherwise nondescript, he is watching Carey as she leaves. Normally, this might not be surprising as the woman is very attractive, but he is not smiling. His eyes go to you as Carey disappears into the bathroom. He takes something from the cashier then leaves the 'Shack without looking at you again.
fibericon
Meira sits there drinking her caf, and casually pulls out her comm while the other woman is still in the bathroom, thumbing out a text to her.

"I think you're being watched. You have my number if you need it."

She pays and walks out without waiting for a response. Walking in the direction of Lux's bar, she ducks off into an alley and switches her AR overlay to casual. It wouldn't fool anyone serious about following her, but bystanders probably won't be paying enough attention to ID her. After getting to the bar, she gives Lux an exhausted sigh.

"Hey, thanks for holding my drek. I was about half right. Mind if I make a few calls while I'm here? I think I need a drink."

She takes a moment and checks the credsticks as well, wondering just how much Carey had thrust into her hands.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1100, Lux's Bar, Seattle

Lux is with a customer when you walk in and nods to you. When he gets a free moment, he brings you a drink. "You OK, kid? You look a bit pale. You using your own 'link for the calls? If so, I got no problem, but don't be rude to some ganger and get me beat up." He snickers a bit and walks away.

The two sticks have 5K nuyen on each of them.
fibericon
Meira pays for her drink and furrows her brow at the credsticks. No one does all that for 10k. Either Carey had spent most of it, or they were a token gesture so that she could truthfully say she'd been paid off. She gives them a closer look before putting them away, making sure she hadn't missed anything etched on the side.

"Nothing booze before noon can't fix. Thanks, Lux."

First call goes out to trance, in Sperethiel.

"Hey, Trance. I need another address. Can you hook me up? Oh, and I still want that range time, but it can wait."
Mercy

You must have slipped the second stick in too soon after the first and not let it reset. When you look again, the second stick shows 30K.

Lux chuckles as he moves to serve a new customer. Trance gets back to you quickly. >>Meira. What do you mean? Who do you need an address for?"
fibericon
"Me. Just a safehouse. I know, you kept telling me to get one before, but now I need it. My place is possibly compromised. When I go back, I'm going over it with a scanner to see if it's been bugged. How soon can you have this and what will it run me?" Meira takes a sip of her drink, and adds, "Hey, slightly off-topic: if I wanted to pay off someone in a stable relationship with a high profile target to cheat repeatedly for the sole purpose of getting busted and dumped, how much would I be looking at paying? I ran into a situation like that and I want to make sure the payment wasn't token."
Mercy

>>Yeah, sure, I can fix you up. When do you need it and how secure and what sort of neighborhood will affect the cost. And that really is a bit off-topic. I am not an expert on that sort of bribes, but I would say the biggest factors are love, money, and pressure. First, does the person love the other one? That can make it tough to reach any price. Second, does the person need the money? Debts, a love of shopping or toys, that sort of thing. Third, can you put additional pressure on the person? Threats to family or self can certainly influence the bribe. Are you talking about something I can research for you?<<
fibericon
"Yeah, might as well tell you what I know at this point." She pauses to finish her drink. "The mark in this scenario is Matt Carson. Brains behind that 'Vampire Hunter' game. She seemed to like him okay, but said point blank that she didn't like him enough to turn down the money. Normally, I'd just go off that, but she's being watched, and was paranoid about keeping the money. Paranoid enough to give it to me just so she wouldn't have anything else to do with it. Not my worst haul at 35k, but since it was 30 in one chip and 5 in the other, I'm thinking it used to be 60k. So, corporate wants him to be single and focus on his job, right? Except apparently he's being threatened with someone else's safety too. I don't know who yet, but she apparently caught his half of a few calls where some woman was apparently being threatened. Volley's already looking into this guy because he moved in next to me and pegged me as a runner day one. Looks like he's not the threat, though. Also, she said to watch out for Ralph, who I'm guessing is Ralph Otter. Met him when Matt moved in, definitely has criminal connections. I appreciate you looking into this, Trance."

Meira's procrastination was about to bite her in the ass again, and she winces with the realization. "Ideally, I need it now. Neighborhood has to be secure enough that I can drop off a bag of expensive gear and expect it to still be there when I get back. I'm going to need to hold onto it too. What's the damage?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 113, Lux's Bar, Seattle

>>Yeah, OK. I got a couple places in mind that might do you. Prices start at about 2200 per month. Remember those words, "To Start". So I one at that price, but it is pretty bleak. You got any requirements for comforts or add-ons? Close to anything important or way out of the way? Anything special inside the house? Panic room, exercise room?<<
fibericon
"Exercise room in case I have to lay low, but panic rooms might as well be death traps. I'll pass on the latter. Doesn't have to be a fancy exercise room either - I'm good with a treadmill. Location doesn't matter much, as long as it's far enough away from my current place that I don't accidentally run into my current neighbors. Just let me know when I can move in - I only have a duffel bag."

After that call, she rings Volley, rubbing the back of her head.

"Meira. You found something?"

She switches to English and replies, "Yeah, something weird. She got paid to instigate that whole mess, but might have been threatened too - seemed jumpy. Now apparently, Carson's getting threatened too. See if you can find any female relatives of his - his ex said she overheard a phone call where he was pleading with someone not to hurt 'her'. She also claims Otter's dangerous, and is only posing as the buddy. I'm getting the frag out of Dodge - a security sweep and found most of my bugs. Gotta play hopscotch with addresses for a little while."

EDIT: typo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012