Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Meira
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1103, Lux's Bar, Seattle

>>OK, sure. Let me check to see what I can put my hands on. Give me a half hour.<<

Volley responds right away. >>Meira. You could be onto something. I got some intel on your guy, in a round about sort of way. He has a twin sister, but she up and disappeared about eight months ago. Left her house and job one night and never went back. Still looking, but she either disappeared on her own or it's a snatch job. Makes sense if it is, really. If they can get the information from him that they need without paying some runners for a risky extraction, they come up winners......whoever the they is. My real guess is that this Carson guy is in serious trouble. You want me to do some legwork on this Otter guy? Where you moving to? Going to keep this comcode?<<
fibericon
"I'm keeping the comcode for now, but if it changes, you'll receive a message with a keyword. As for the location, I'll know within the hour. Might as well do some digging on Otter. He offered me work, so I'm going to see if I can't coax info from him that way. As a side note, he provided the VIP tickets to Dante that Carson is using tonight. There might be a connection between him and the club. I'm going to be there in bodyguard capacity, so it might be nice to know who's aiming for my head. If they get what they want from Carson, he's probably going to end up in a landfill. That reminds me - when I tried to ask him why someone who made what he made lived in suburbia, he gave me the run around. His ex mentioned something about a compound, but she got spooked before I could get more info from her. Maybe corporate wanted him to live on site, but in this context, anything could be happening."

Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1103, Lux's Bar, Seattle

>>I will get on this, but you be careful. Especially at the club tonight. I will amp my efforts up on this Otter guy.<<
fibericon
"Thanks, Volley."

Meira looks up at the ceiling and sighs heavily. Hell of a day so far already. Five more hours to kill before her appointment with Pug. She straightens up in her seat and hands her glass to Lux.

"I just wanted to steal stuff from rich people for other rich people until I could afford a Westwind. Drive off into the sunset like the trids. Now I went and got my loud mouth in trouble. Don't mind me, I'm rambling. I've wiggled my way out of worse, but it will severely cut into my Westwind fund." She chuckles and adds, "What's word on the street, Lux?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1104, Lux's Bar, Seattle

Lux takes your glass and refills it. "Ah, Westwinds are overrated anyway, in my opinion. Of course, part of that opinion comes from knowing I will never own one. Word on the street? Aren't you in a bit deep already? You want more troubles?"
fibericon
Meira chuckles at that, looking at her glass. "Replace 'Westwind' with any other car that's more expensive than it needs to be and you've got the same sentiment. Yeah, my plate's a bit full at the moment. I could say there's always room for dessert, but that might not be true today. Well, you got me around to shoot the breeze for the next half hour or so. What's going on in your world?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1104, Lux's Bar, Seattle

Lux gives a dark look. "You really want to know? I am a bit in it, right now. Just had a waitress quit and could use a good hand behind the bar to help me out. Know anyone looking for work? Pay is not great, but it is enough, or should be, and it comes with living space upstairs. Say, if you are looking for new digs, you could..................nah, you got more going on that hiding out here waiting tables. But let me know if you find anyone that might want a job for a bit."
fibericon
"I'll put out a couple feelers. Got no problem helping you out, Lux, so I'll be extra helpful and tell you you don't want me as a waitress. I'd call in 'sick' too much. Besides, if I really need to lay low, I wouldn't risk bringing the heat down on you. Not after four-eyes tracked me down here. Now, you want me to pose as a waitress temporarily to pull a fast one over on someone, I'm your gal."

She pulls her comm back out and thumbs out a text to Matt as she speaks. "Know anyone looking for work? A buddy of mine who runs a bar just had a waitress quit on him."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1105, Lux's Bar, Seattle

Lux shrugs. "Nothing more than I get from some of the lazy girls that come looking for a job. I get it if you don't want to do it. Keep the offer in mind if you need to lay low out in the open, you know." He walks off again.

>>Hey, Meira. A girl for a waitress job? No, I don;t think so, but a couple of people I work with have kids who might so I can ask around. Where is this bar and what's it called? We're still on for tonight, right?<<
fibericon
Meira thumbs out a reply to Matt, "Joey's Bar, it's within walking distance of your place. We're still on."

Lux's offer wasn't a bad one, but she'd always tried to avoid bringing heat down on the poor guy. She was considering how she'd handle juggling addresses. Part of the problem was making sure Matt thought she still lived there. Maybe Pug could hook her up with some home automation stuff to deal with lights and such.

She starts going through some training videos while she waits for Trance's call, trying to brush up on her old rifle training.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1123, Lux's Bar, Seattle

Trance finally gets back to you. >>Hey, got something for you. Nice little 2B, 1Bath apartment. Second floor. Laundry room and small exercise room in basement. Out of the way place, but it has some security in the form of a small local gang. The security fee is included. They will even watch a car for you for a bit extra. Neighborhood is a bit run down, but not a slum and not the Barrens. Hot water is rationed but can be increased for a price. Cost to you is 3K per month, plus anything extra. Interested?"
fibericon
"Yeah, that'll do for now. I'll go over there immediately. Any word on the team members or the range?"

She slings her bag over her shoulder, ready to head out as soon as her call is finished.
Mercy

>>LOL Still working on the team members. You wanted quality, right? The range is a benefit of the location of the apartment. The gangers there have a small shooting range they would be willing to let you use for a fee. You need to work that out with them. If that is a no-go, I can try for another range, but it will not be near your place.<<
fibericon
"Two birds with one stone, I like it. Thanks, Trance."

With address in hand, she gets up from the bar stool. "Hey Lux, time for me to move. Thanks for your time."

She offers the credstick to pay for the drinks and heads for the new address, keeping an eye out for a tail.
Mercy

Lux nods as he slots your stick. "Stay safe, Meira. Keep my offer in mind. I could use the help here and would take a chance on you."

The address you were given is a good ways away from the bar and would take a long time to walk there. When you get there, the neighborhood looks a bit forlorn but there are people walking the street and shops are open. The apartment building is three stories high and, although there is some trash laying about, the streets are mostly clean and the windows of the building are mostly intact.
fibericon
Meira makes her way up to the second and tries the door. She's been in worse dumps, and as far as safehouses go, she could do a whole lot worse. Plus, range access.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1125, Meira's New Apartment Seattle

A quick stop at the building office gets you a key to the apartment as well as a list of the do's and dont's of the building. The super eyes you up and down and heartily welcomes you to the neighborhood. "So, you staying long? My comcode is on the form so call me if you need anything. I usually don;t do calls after nine at night, but I make exceptions for some guests."

The place is clean and tidy. it is a bit on the small side with the bedrooms barely qualifying as such. The bathroom is tiny, with a shower stall and no tub. A placard on the wall reminds you of the hot water ration. The kitchen is barely large enough to have a small processing unit and some shelves.
fibericon
"Probably won't be here long. I'll need some range access today, with an EBR and a JP-K50. I'm doing some shopping, and I wanna try before I buy."

Once in the room, she looks for a place to stash her gear, just in case.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1140, Meira's New Apartment Seattle

The man looks at you again and shakes his head. "Pretty girl like you shouldn't need to worry about guns. What you need is a man to watch out for you. Anyway, the range is controlled by the Santeras, the local gang that keeps the place safe from gangs. You will have to see them for that sort of drek. Go down to the Cali if you want to meet them in person, which is the only way they do business."

He lets you look around your apartment and leaves, closing the door behind him.
fibericon
Meira holds her tongue. Nothing she hasn't heard before. Because obviously, bullets bounce off of man flesh. She pays for her first month, and after dropping off her gear, heads down to Cali. To the first person she sees there, she says, "I need range time. Who do I need to talk to about that?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1140, Cali Bar, Seattle

The bar is clearly a ganger joint. Almost everyone in the place is sporting a jacket with the gang's logo on the back. Several are playing pool on and old-school table while others watch. It is easy to pick out the man on the big chair as the boss. He looks you up and down and nods. "You're looking at him. You the new tenant? Yeah we can get you some range time. Fifteen nuyen an hour and you sweep up your mess. You can buy regular rounds at the range if you need 'em. No APDS or explosive drek allowed. The range and walking back and forth is the only time weapons are allowed here, got it? We run a nice place."

There is some laughter from his cronies.
fibericon
"Yeah, that's me. Normal rounds are fine. I just want to test an EBR and a JP-K50 - trying to see which one I should pick up. Got any on hand?"

She glances around at the gang. Surely this guy meant other people couldn't have weapons - his people would be allowed to carry, and she wanted to see what they were packing.
Mercy

The man in the big chair nods and raises a hand. "Chuckles.....over here."

A large guy looks up from where he is shooting pool and chuckles loudly. "Yeah, Boss, coming." He puts his stick on the table and shakes a finger at the others around the table before walking up to where you are. He chuckles again just before he gets to you. "What you need, Boss?"

The man he addresses motions to you. "This is the new girl in the neighborhood. Wants to use the range. Has questions. Show her around if she has the ching."

Chuckles chuckles a bit and looks over to the pool table then back with a dejected look on his face. "Yeah, sure, Boss." He looks at you. "Got a name besides new girl?"
fibericon
"I'm Meira. Ever had a gun that just felt right? I'm looking for a rifle like that, and I'm looking into either an EBR or a JP-K50, so I want to test them both on the range. How much for gun rental?"

She takes out the stick from Carey with 5k, waiting for a number before handing it over to be slotted.
Mercy

Chuckles looks at your stick and nods. "Fifteen an hour for the range time. Ammo is twenty-five for ten shots if you don't have your own." He looks over at the pool table. "You mind if I finish these guys off first?"
fibericon
"Yeah, go for it."

After Chuckles returns to the table, she uses the extra time to glance around the place. Not the worst place she's ever been in. She tries again to get a glimpse of their preferred weapon.

Perception: 9d6t5 3
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1143, Cali Bar, Seattle

For his size and girth, Chuckles really is a good pool player and he clears the table within three minutes, much to the dismay of those betting against him. You look around shows a relatively clean place, although it is a bit on the old side and the chairs are torn in several places and there is a large crack in the mirror behind the bar. Most of those in gang colors seem to have an assortment of handguns and knives. You do not see any thing larger than a pistol, except for a pair of shotguns on a rack just behind the bar.

Chuckles collects his winnings and motions for you to follow him as he walks towards the exit. Once in the street he strides purposefully down the street. "Don't have either of those weapons here, but maybe I can arrange for a pal to bring one in. Might cost you something, but you get a discount if you buy from him. Works out. Just remember, no guns unless you are going to the range or back, and no using them in the street. You get any flack from anyone you just let 'em know you are under out watch, got it? As long as you pay, that is." He chuckles.
fibericon
"Yeah, I'll pay the fee, and it's probably worth buying from the guy just to have that contact. Appreciate the help. I won't be causing a scene - I'm trying to hide my drek and keep a low profile. First sign of heat and I get the hell out of wherever I am. It's a whole lot easier than getting shot. I know, because I've been shot, and it sucks." Meira chuckles and adds, "So, what's your gig? Protection, sure, but everyone has their fingers in other stuff. Just tell me to frag off if I ask too many questions - I'm not looking for trouble."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1145, Cali Neighborhood, Seattle

Chuckles chuckles again. "You got it in one, kid. Protection is about all we do here. Hey, I used to do and sell drugs for the 'Weeners, believe it or not. Got tired of all that shit and the lifespan sucked, you know? Left them and wandered a bit and ended up here. Carlos is good shit, kid, the real thing. Grew up here in this neighborhood. Saw it going to drek like all the others near and did something. Formed his little gang and pushed the reigning gang out and took their place. We don't see drugs or BTLs, don't run guns or stolen property, and don't allow others to do it here, either. No real organized prostitution. Sure we got strippers and walkers, like any place, but no pimps to hassle 'em. They set their own rates and everyone's happy. Sounds, crazy, right? But it works. Ah, the range is just down there, that blue building. I'll give you the tour."

He walks across the street towards a low, blue building a block or so farther down. "So what's your gig, Meira? What you running from?"
fibericon
"I stuck my nose where it didn't belong. New neighbor, something seemed off, so I dug into his background, thinking he might be undercover. Shouldn't have looked. My usual thing is B&E, but don't worry, I'm not planning to rob the neighborhood. I usually take jobs to steal a specific thing from a specific person. I'd rather not get spotted, but sometimes it goes south and you have to shoot your way out. It's been a while since I've done wet work, but I've done it. It usually doesn't pay enough to be worth the hassle."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1145, Cali Neighborhood, Seattle

"So, what happened to the guy? You kill him or something?"
fibericon
"Nah. The guy is harmless, but I stumbled on the fact that someone's extorting him. Caught someone watching me, too. Until I figure out who I can pop to make it stop, I gotta lay low. No point getting caught slacking off."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1146, Shooting Range, Seattle

Chuckles unlocks the front door of the building and ushers you inside. Once he has the lights on, he shows you where everything is and goes to a small booth to turn the target system on. The place is pretty basic, with a few lanes to shoot down. The targets have to be hung manually, but there are posts at several set distances from the shooter stands you can use. He comes out of the booth to show you how the system works. Each shooting stand has a small console that can control the position of the targets. "This one should make the targets go back and forth, but that is not working at this time. We need a good mechanic to come in and fix the system. The software is giving us problems. These buttons control how much of the target you can see, so you can practice shots where the guy is not face on to you. Those buttons go out sometimes, too. Old system and it needs to be replaced, but that takes money we don't really have and an expert we cannot really afford. You know anyone got any talent with matrix stuff that would work for cheep?"
fibericon
"I can make a call or two and see what I come up with. How about I do that while you give the guy with the rifles a call?"

Meira gives Trance another call, figuring he'd be the guy to ask.

"Problem with the new place, I'wath?"

"Not at all, but the guy at the range was asking about cheap software work. They need some repair done on their mobile target functions, but they're looking to not invest in an expert. Got anyone in mind?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1148, Shooting Range, Seattle

>>Hmmm. A couple of people spring to mind. I will get with them and check. Any idea what this pays? Say, your boy next door might be looking for a place to lay low...........maybe he could look into the software issue?<<
fibericon
"I'll see if he wants to lay low, but my guess is that's the opposite of what he wants. They lose sight of him, his sister gets capped; I'm sure of it. Hold on."

She looks over at Chuckles and says, "How much does this pay?"
Mercy

Chuckles shrugs his shoulders. "Depends, I guess, on whether or not it is a full time thing or not. Probably a couple hundred, but could be more if it is a big job. Final decision is on Carlos, though. You got a line already?"
fibericon
"Maybe. Got a guy who knows more people than I ever will."

Speaking into the commlink again, she says, "Likely a couple hundred, but there's wiggle room. Has to get cleared by Carlos, though."
Mercy

>>Well, a couple of hundred is a couple of hundred. Not too bad if the job is easy. Any wriggle room if it is not easy? And who is Carlos?<<
fibericon
"Yeah, if it's harder, it'll pay more. Carlos is in charge at the Cali. Santeras' boss, it looks like."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1149, Shooting Range, Seattle

>>Ah, the ganger in charge of your new place? OK, I will put the feelers out for you, Stay cool.<<

Chuckles helps you set up some targets and retreats to a booth. He puts some ear protectors on and motions for you to do the same.
fibericon
Meira gets the ear protection and hangs it around her neck, then takes out her pistol. She clears the subsonic and chambers up normal rounds from the range, then places it down and puts the ear protection on properly, double checking before picking the gun back up. She'd always been a damn good shot with a pistol, but thinking you're too good to practice is a great way to get sloppy. Tiny spreads, good control, vital points. She lets off fifteen rounds, then places the weapon down on the table in front of her.

Pistol + Smartlink contacts: 16d6t5 6

She takes off her ear protection and signals for Chuckles to do the same. Once he can hear her again, she asks, "Any word on those rifles?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1200, Shooting Range, Seattle

Chuckles nods from inside the booth and takes his ear protectors off. "Yeah. On the way over. Probably twenty minutes to get here. Pretty good shooting."
fibericon
"I get by. Out of practice with a rifle, though. I'm sure it'll come back to me."

She gestures for him to put his ear protection back on, then continues her routine of checking, loading, and discharging - warming up before the bigger guns get there. It was getting close to lunch time, but she didn't want to miss a potential new arms dealer.
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1217, Shooting Range, Seattle

A little red light begins blinking on the console, alerting you that the range is on lockdown. As you remove the hearing protectors and look around, you see Chuckles and three other men walking towards you. One of the men is carrying a rifle case in each hand and another looks like muscle. The man with Chuckles looks fairly normally middle class, but his eyes are different, almost completely black. Chuckles and the man with him walk over to you as the man with the rifles goes to a long bench against the rear wall that is used for cleaning the weapons.

"Hey, this is my friend with the rifles. You want to talk real nice to him."
fibericon
Meira sets the pistol down and looks at each of the newcomers, then focuses her attention to the one next to Chuckles. The eyes could mean anything - there were so many augments to every part of your body that she couldn't keep track.

"I'm Meira. It's my understanding you're the person to talk to for weapons. Do you also do customization, or stock parts only?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1217, Shooting Range, Seattle

The man nods but does not offer a hand to shake. "I am Mister Black. I can get you a great many weapons, some take a bit longer to find. I generally just stock weapons and parts, but I know a guy can do customization if you need it and can afford it."
fibericon
"Only if it's not too much trouble. Wouldn't want you to go out of your way for it. Ruthenium polymer is the big one, but first I have to see what I'm getting. Mind if I fire off a few rounds with each?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1219, Shooting Range, Seattle

Mr Black motions to his man, who opens the rifle cases and steps aside. Chuckles lets out a low whistle as he looks at what is inside the cases and comments on how nice they are. You take one out of the case and note that there are two loaded clips in each case.
fibericon
Meira picks up the EBR first. She's out of practice with a rifle, but between the training videos and her actual training, picking up the gun triggers a little bit of muscle memory. She tucks the unloaded gun up against her shoulder and aims it down range briefly, then sets it down and grabs her ear protection, motioning for others to do the same. Once she's sure everyone else is ready, she puts her own on, then loads the gun. After readying the weapon, she fires off five shots in semi automatic mode, then switches to burst fire and lets off five bursts.

Longarms + Smartlink contacts: 11d6t5 1

She furrows her brow at how bad she's gotten. Several excuses flash through her head at once, but she knows what's really wrong. She sets the EBR back down and picks up the JP-K50. After readying the weapon, she performs a similar test, then lets off five more rounds in semi automatic mode to account for the larger clip size.

Longarms + Smartlink contacts: 11d6t5 5

This time was better - a lot better. Whether it was because she had a little practice in this time, needed a warm up, or was trying to prove it to herself, those targets were toast. She couldn't help but lean toward the Onotari now, even though it was originally her second choice. It felt better to her, which might have had something to do with the Japanese company making their guns for smaller hands.

She sets the gun down, then places the EBR neatly back in the case after giving the weapon one final check. With no weapons in her hands, she removes her ear protection and signals for the others to do the same.

"Well, Mister Black, the EBR is a fine weapon, but I know which one clicks for me. I have to go with my gut on this. How much do you want for the JP-K50? I'd also like the case, if you don't mind parting with it."

OOC: Longarms 0 -> 1

EDIT: Missed OOC line
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012