Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Meira
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1918, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt nods. "Sure. It makes sense that if you are bugged he might be bugged as well. I can try to...........wait...........did you say there is a tracking tag on this tux? I won't ask how you know, but should we get rid of it?"
fibericon
Meira shakes her head, "If you clue them in on the fact that you know, they'll just change their methods. In my case, they want to see what they can learn about me. So far, if I've done my part right, they know I'm a slob who watches stupid trid shows and drinks in the afternoon, but I'm guessing they've learned more about me by now. You still need to show them the boring shmuck you want them to see."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1918, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt nods, but seems to have focused on one part in particular. "You think I am a boring schmuck? My God, what can I do to change that? I think that you are the most alive, most interesting person I have ever met and I am intensely attracted to you like I have never been attracted to anyone else, emotionally and physically. I really enjoyed kissing you and you did not pull away in disgust, but I cannot tell for sure if that was because you liked the kisses or were just playing a role. Apparently I should have no trouble playing a boring schmuck, but please tell me what would interest you enough to look twice at me."
fibericon
Meira smiles and covers her face with her palm, trying not to laugh. "How are you with an assault rifle?" She flashes him a grin and adds, "I signed on to put high velocity rounds through the faces of bad guys. Sorry, Matt. I might do solo work now, but I'm a soldier girl through and through. Whether it's 'oorah' or 'to Valhalla', there's no connection like one formed on the battlefield. I've never had a normal job. This is a huge part of who I am, and that's not changing."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1919, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt smiles and sighs. "So you are saying that I might have a chance with you if I enlist? What about this, instead? I can turn someone's fancy and deadly assault rifle into a paperweight with a thought and without even seeming to be a threat and without even seeing it on your battlefield, because my battlefield is the matrix. I think that you can imagine what fragging a set of cyber eyes or ears would do to a person. I can toast a cyber leg or arm at just the right point to be most effective, or I could screw with just about anything linked to the matrix to hurt someone who is counting on the ware to assist him in trying to kill you. I might look like I am a boring schmuck nobody but I can get unboring enough to be quite useful, especially if YOU are in danger. Would that let me into your special fraternity?"
fibericon
Meira shrugs her eyebrows, tilting her head to the side as she considers that statement. "Huh. I knew there was something off about you. Technomancer, or is your deck implanted in your head? Either way, people like you are half the reason I don't have cyberware. The other half is security checkpoints. We'll see. Being useful is one thing, but it's... look, it's just not the same. We'll see." She shakes her head quickly, offering a frustrated gesture with her hand, showing a distinct failure to summon the words she was looking for. "I'm not convinced you could kill someone. When it comes down to it, no matter what the stakes, your average person just can't take a life. That's probably a good thing, most of the time. But I don't subdue. I'm not a riot cop with a belt full of zip ties. If things go south, I'm shooting to kill. I've got a lot of blood on my hands, Matt. That something you think you can live with?"
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1919, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt nods. "The best bleeding edge deck money can buy is in my head and body. And don't fool yourself into thinking you are safe from someone like me. Do you have a 'link connected to the matrix? Does it have your ID, personal information, contacts, banking information? All of that could be an open book to me and used to hurt you indirectly. Do you have a smart link on your gun? I can use that to access and take control of the weapon. But it is not you I am talking about, Meira. It is the thugs who do use wireless connectivity because it makes them so much more deadly. The people that forget what someone like me can do until it is too late." He shakes his head. "I don't know if I could kill anyone, either. I have never had cause to, but I can easily see me doing that if I had to." His voice softens. "I think I could do that if you were in danger and I needed to do so to save you."

He looks at you and pauses again. "Yes, I can live with you having blood on your hands. I do not know if I could live with myself, but I think I can. It sounds like we might have to know before you let me get any closer to you. To you, I guess I am noting more than a bumbling boring schmuck nobody, but I would like to change that attitude you have about me. So, I guess this is me telling you that I will do that if it means I have a chance of getting some real kisses from you instead of pretend ones."
fibericon
The things some guys would do to chase tail never ceased to amaze her. But he was still just a corp lackey, and probably not good for much beyond running his mouth. She couldn't even imagine the mindset that allowed him to shrug his shoulders at his sister's abduction and let someone else deal with it while he continued to say "yes sir" every chance he got. "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees" always sounded corny to her, but that was the literal separation between the two of them right now. It was sickening, and it was hard to suppress a sneer.

"Like I said, we'll see. You're not a fighter, even if you think you could be. Right now, you're a talker. I don't swoon for tough talk."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1921, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt looks at you for about two minutes without saying anything then lifts you from his lap and sets you on the seat next to him. "Fine, we do it your way. I am immensely attracted to you, both emotionally and physically, yet all you seem capable of doing is talking tough, intentionally misinterpreting everything I say, and belittling any idea I have or that I am more than a talker. I can take the hint that you are not interested and will drop that subject. If you are playing hard to get, you won.............if you are just playing hard, you won. I would do anything to get my sister back alive and up to a couple of minutes ago, I would have said I would do anything for you. I could have willingly been a partner, but you seem to be looking to play solo and be rude to me with almost every breath. Now, to turn what you have said about, all I have seen from you so far is tough talk and words about bodies in your past, but I have seen nothing that proves that you are any more capable of killing anyone than you have seen from me. So it seems that you get to be the tough guy here and no one else gets that privilege because you say so. Fine. What is the next step?"
fibericon
Meira offers a sleepy-eyed look in response, deliberately masking what, if anything, she felt about his response.

"Now you decide your next move. I already know mine. If you still want my recommendation, your next move is nothing. Don't get killed to prove a point. Might even help your case if you kicked my ass out of your limo right now. No, I'm not being snarky - it'll look like one less person who could help you, but you'll have to paint me as a real jackass to make it seem legit."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1921, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt shakes his head. "Yeah, not getting killed is pretty high on my don't do list. And I cannot kick you out of my car. Shit, I cannot even remain angry with you for more than a minute. No, I much prefer a different line. Ralph thinks that you are after my money and that I am after your body. Well, I AM after your body but I don't believe that you are after my money. If you were, you would have talked differently to me. So I am left with realizing that I have fallen hard for you and that you might not give a rat's ass for me. Just my luck to go from a liar and cheat to someone who isn't interested in me at all."

He looks at you some more. "Listen, I want your help to get my sister back and I really appreciate that you are taking the risk to help me. I will try to listen to what you have to say, but I really hope that the demeaning crap stops because it actually hurts a lot. I may not be as tough as you like them, but I do have skills that can help you help me if you give me a chance. So, we go to the club and we do the party this weekend. Do we pretend to be an item? For my part, I do not have to pretend much to get that act across, although you might have problems pretending to like me enough to want to kiss me or sleep with me. I propose that we play this up. Be my girl in public. Cling tight when others are around. Let me call my boss and move you into my room for the weekend. You get the bed and I get the couch or floor, whichever is more comfortable. There we are; holding hands and kissing in public and near strangers in private. It keeps you close to me and...................well, I guess that is it. It keeps you close to me. What do you think?"
fibericon
Meira nods, though she does furrow her brow a bit. While she'd never been good with people, she'd never managed to fail to piss someone off before. This was a first.

"Well, 'your girl' is getting arrested as soon as we get back from this weekend. I'm pretty confident I can arrange it, and it'll get the bugs out of my house. Then the charges mysteriously go away, and I get to take a shower without being watched. More importantly, I won't have to hide my equipment or my calls. If I'm wrong, and this plan goes to hell, I'll just move. I like my place, but I like being alive more."

She shrugs and adds, "And if I'm an ass, well, sorry. That's just me. People try to get close, I push back. They inevitably try to 'save me' from the life I chose, which is insulting. What I'm more afraid of is that someone will end up taking a bullet for me and end up not being action trid stars that just walk away from it. Not looking to be the cause of anyone's noble sacrifice. Once you get your sister back, I'm probably going to walk. Can't promise more than that - hopefully that's good enough for you."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1922, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt looks at you almost as if not seeing you, obviously concentrating on what you have said. His eyes focus on you again and he shakes his head, still smiling. "No, that is actually not good enough for me. If it ends that way, it will not be due to lack of trying on my part, but I don't have to accept that right now. You CAN be an ass, yes, and maybe that is what I need. But you have no need to push back against me getting closer, because I do not want to save you by changing your life. Far from it, I want you to embrace it................and share it. You are, without a doubt, the most infuriating, maddening, and amazing woman I have ever met and I am damned sure that I don't want to lose you or change you. Much, anyway. Right now, the only thing about you that I can see that needs changing is the way you talk to me. Accept that I am not just going away because you push against me and we will get along much better. No promises about the bullet, though. You do not get to be the only person who might take one for someone else. Hopefully, we can avoid either of us taking a bullet for each other."

He moves his head a bit closer. "Make me your partner in saving my sister. I can help if you give me a chance and I am sure that you can find a use for my skills. You have given me hope that doing this is possible. Now, I am going to kiss you for real, not pretend. You can enjoy it or not as you see fit, but you need the practice if you are going to play this role for the next three days."

He reaches out and puts a hand behind your neck in an attempt to gently pull your face closer to his.
fibericon
Meira acquiesces, but glares at him when she pulls away.

"You can't have me just because you want me. That's not how it works. The harder you push, the less interested I'm going to be. And just so we're clear, saving me is what you attempted on day one, so don't bullshit me."

She leans back and stares at him for a moment, letting her expression melt away into a sleepy gaze once more. "But don't worry about it. You'll get what you want, for now."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1923, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt shakes his head in wonderment. "What is it with you. Meira? Are you afraid of friendship and maybe love? I push and you get angry. I lay back and I am a boring schmuck. And I have no idea where you come off on some high horse about me trying to save you on day one. I had no idea who you are or what you do. You said you get things for rich people. That sounds very much like some sort of errand girl. I was telling you that I know people who are looking for a bodyguard service and you get all defensive, as if I should be able to know all about you from a few words. Get that chip off your shoulder and listen to my words. I do not want to change who you are. I am in love with that person and I am so fucked because that person will not accept that someone might be in love with her. She is too wrapped up in being macho that she cannot or will not see what is in front of her."

"Right now, you don't have what I want from you. All you have is bullshit and fragging drek and an attitude that tells you that you know everything about me after just a few days...........really a few hours all together of being in my presence. You are completely wrong if you think I want simple sex with you. You have no idea how much I want to make love to you, to hold and caress your body and tell you over and over how beautiful and wonderful you are. How perfect you are. And the thing is, God damn it the thing is that I still cannot be angry at you for more than a couple of minutes because I love you too much to remain angry. You cannot force mt to not be in love with you or to fall out of love with you. Falling in love is what my heart did almost as soon as I saw you and spent some time with you." He touches his chest then points to your head as his voice calms down. "Here, here is what tells me that you are the perfect woman for me, warts and all. And there is what you are using to deny that. My heart is stronger than your head and you cannot change me, just as I cannot change you. If you cannot see that, then you are denying yourself a chance at happiness."

Matt finishes and sits back in the seat of the car.
fibericon
"I can live with missing a chance at something I'm not looking for. Call it fear, or whatever - the phrasing makes no difference to me." Meira shrugs, and adds, "So how about a truce? I'll try to be less awful, and you try to be less imposing. I think we'll get along a lot better that way."

She puts two fingers on her temple and smirks, "And no, you have no reason to believe anything I've ever said to you. Not the good, or the bad. After all, you're in a precarious position, my friend. For you to trust the wrong person with the wrong piece of information now would put you on the run for your life, if you even get a chance to run. Because you're only valuable alive if they believe they'll get what they want, right? Otherwise, you're not worth the trouble. What if I'm a corp plant, or whatever else? What if they only reason you feel -anything- for me is that I have tailored pheromones? You don't know any of that. You can't. Not about me, and not about anyone else. If you ignore everything else I tell you because you don't want to hear it, at least remember that. People lie. Don't trust me because I'm pretty."
Mercy
Friday 14 June 2076 1923, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt just shakes his head. "Wow. Always the tough girl. I wonder what happened to you that you would consciously turn love aside. I do not understand why you would want to go through life alone and lonely just to avoid the risk of being hurt. Sure, you can have your truce and I will try to be less imposing. It will not stop me from being in love with you."

After your second comment, he nods. "You are right. How do I know that anything you have told me is true? I don't. However, I do know that I need to trust someone, even if that proves to be a bad choice. Otherwise, I would be like you, an island in the sea of life. I would rather take a chance on trusting you than not. If I get burned, then it was my choice to take the risk." He holds up his hands. "But, yes, a truce."

He sits back into the seat and closes his eyes.
fibericon
Karyth was right. This wasn't a job Meira could do. This guy's nuts, and there was no way she could handle a weekend of this. The fact that he thought he loved her after practically no time at all was a huge red flag for her. As soon as he closes his eyes, she instinctively turns off her commlink.

She lowers the divider and says to the driver, "Pull over. I'll get out here." Looking back at Matt, she adds, "Tell your company whatever you want, but I'm out. You're way too intense. Don't follow me, and don't try to grab me."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1924, Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt looks at you and nods. "Please don't go. I.......I really need help. My sister needs help. I will do anything you tell me to do. Anything. Please. She does not deserve this over what I have said to you. Can you rethink this?"

The car pulls over to the curb.
fibericon
Meira stops with her hand on the door, staring at him blankly. "I can't operate under these conditions. My immediate plan was to walk away and call you when it was done. What you've been expecting of me may be out of scope. Is there a legitimate reason that my presence is required? Because there are a lot of complications with that."
Mercy

He looks at you. "OK. I was telling you the truth when I said I wanted you along this weekend to keep the other women at arms length. It can get pretty bad at times. But that was only part of the reason.
The rest of the reason was that I do like you and wanted to spend a bit more time with you. And that was before I found out that you know about my sister. Some day you will have to tell me just how the heck you did find that out. But now you tell me what is in your scope. What do you wish to do and how do you want to do it? And can I be of any help at all? I hate feeling useless, but I understand that you have serious doubts about my ability to help. Bottom line is you are in charge."
fibericon
Meira sighs, putting her face in her hand. Looking over at the driver, she says, "Sorry, change of plans. Ring around the lights before our destination, and take your sweet time. Also, who hired you, and how much to tell them something of my choosing instead of what they wanted to hear?"

She smirks at Matt, somewhat annoyed at herself that she'd let the driver hear that much.
Mercy

The driver nods. "I own an indy driving service and your partner there hired me. If you want to talk about who I should not tell anything to if they should come asking..........................."
fibericon
"If you're actually independent, I'm going to want your commcode. Now, there's a chance someone might ask. I want you to say I demanded a detour so I could stick my head out the top like an idiot. You didn't hear the rest of the conversation. Sound good?"

After handing over a credstick, she closes the divider and turns back to Matt.

"You could be the best decker in the world and you would still be hard pressed to help in your current position. The best thing you can do is provide any information you have. You said Ralph had the city and state? That's a good start. Why would they resort to this over giving you money? That's going to be important. Working backwards from how they picked up your sister is going to help, too. Any new people in her life around that time? Someone who could have set her up?"
Mercy

The driver grins at you. "Whatever you say, Boss."

Matt looks at you and shakes his head. "Sure, I can give you anything you like, or at least what I know, anyway. As to why they resorted to this? Well, they did, actually, and I told them to go fly a kite. Taking her was the next step, I guess. I have no idea how they picked her up, but it probably would not have been hard. She lives in Denver, or at least was living there when she was taken. She was a band groupie and followed some group around....................Flying Fish, I think. Or something like that. Maybe one of them did something."
fibericon
"A buddy of mine from the Tir likes to tell this story about an assassin who just walked into a super max facility dressed as a pizza guy. While this band maybe did something, I think it's a lot more likely that someone with the right shirt said something plausible to get her alone. People are gullible that way. If you see a Lone Star uniform, you assume it's legitimate without asking. Works for other uniforms, too. But, if you know the date she was taken, maybe I could cross reference their tour schedule and find out where she was at the time. Who asked you, and who did you say no to?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 19245 Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt shakes his head. "It all sounds so plausible the way you tell it. I am not exactly certain when they got her, but I think it was at a home concert about three months ago. She had called me when she got back in town from out in Los Angeles. Some Horizon-sponsored gig for the band. She was going to call me in a few days, after she had settled down. That was the last time.............wait, I should have the date of my call to her on the 'link. Let me look. Yes, here it is. My last call to her before she was taken was on March tenth."

"As for the guys that made the initial offer? No idea who they were. A burner phone was dropped at my desk one day with a note on it to access a certain comcode. After a short talk, I told them to screw off and hung up. I thought it was all a joke at the time, someone trying to cash in on the whole Vampire Hunter thing."
fibericon
Meira leans back in her seat and thinks about this. Not much to go on.

"Long shot, but do you still have the burner? Or the commcode? Not going to find a real name, and if they're smart, not even a fake name. But there's a possibility of a general location. Slim one, but I'll take it." She furrows her brow, realizing she'd forgotten something crucial. "Hold on. What exactly did they want you to do?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1926 Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt screws up his face for a moment then shakes his head. "Nope, tossed the 'link and only remember part of the code since it followed a number pattern. If I think of it enough, I might be able to get the rest of it. The voice, it was clearly modulated so I have no idea if it was man or woman, wanted to pay me a lot of money for the code to my next game, plus the upgrades as I worked on them."
fibericon
The explanation didn't mean much to Meira. She was aware of corporate espionage, and vaguely aware that the code created the game, but it's not like they could just release their own version. Laws were in place that prevented it. She made a mental note to ask Volley who might be looking for that.

"I think that's about all I can work with for now. I'll need to put out some feelers and see what they come up with before I decide how to move forward. But just to give you an idea of what kind of people you're dealing with, your ex was paid off. I think in the area of 60k, but it might have been part of an ultimatum. She seemed spooked."

She reaches toward the minibar, mostly so she doesn't have to look at Matt when she adds, "I tried to be discrete, but she demanded a meeting in a public place. It was the only way to get information from her. 50/50 she's dead now. We got spotted, and she decided to run off by herself. Never answered my offer of protection that I sent while she was bailing."
Mercy

"Paid off? Dead? What the hell. But we are talking a ton of money. If they can get my code and get the game out first..................wow. It could mean millions of nuyen a month, so sixty thousand would be a drop in the bucket for them. Wait, if they saw you, you are in danger now, as well, right?"

fibericon
Meira shrugs. "I can bite back. My main concern right now is showing my hand too early, because I don't know how well they do their research yet. I could just be a person of interest, if they haven't done much digging. There was nothing of note in my apartment by the time they bugged it, so a search wouldn't have told them anything. Now I'm waiting for their next move while I do as much as I can off camera to find out more. Excuse me, I need to arrange for my gear to be delivered."

She shoots off a message to Trance on her commlink, "I can't be seen going to my safehouse right now. I need you to contact one of the gangers, guy named Chuckles. Tell him I have paying work, but it has to happen tonight."
Mercy

Matt nods and sits back, grabbing for a drink. He looks a bit pale. You think you hear him mutter something about being dead.

>>Sure thing, kid. This guy Chuckles expecting the shipment and does he know how to contact you? I can act as a middleman, but it will cost you a bit.<<
fibericon
"He's not expecting anything, and he doesn't know how to contact me. I've got a duffel bag in my apartment. I need him to bring it by my normal place later tonight, and act like he's just dropping off my dry cleaning."

She looks up at Matt and asks, "Your sister is their last resort, right? Can you think of any way they could possibly escalate?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1927 Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

>>Got it, Kid. I will give him the address or he already know it? You got just the one duffel or will he need to choose from more than one><<

Matt shakes his head. "Not that I know of..................." He grimaces and nods. "Well, except maybe for you. I don't suppose I have hidden my feelings for you all that well. Maybe they will try to buy you off. Oh, and maybe Ralph? He is just about my only real friend and they might do something that route."
fibericon
Meira quickly thumbs out a text back, "You'll need to give him the address. It's the only bag in the place, can't miss it."

Looking back at Matt she replies, "I guess just watch us both for a change in behavior. Best I can do for advice for now. My delivery is on standby. I'll shoot off another message when we're heading back, so I don't show up unprepared for this weekend." With a smirk she adds, "But for now, I think we have a club to attend."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1928 Limo to Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt nods and smiles at you as he leans back into the seat. "You are so calm. And yes, the club. I was hoping that you would still want to do that.............and this weekend. Just tell me what your limits are and I will do as you say."
fibericon
"I've been at it a while. I wouldn't expect you to slip into my job in a day anymore than I could slip into yours. Just follow my lead and we'll be fine. Try not to drink too much."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 2048 Dante's Inferno, Seattle

The limo pulls up to the VIP entrance to Dante's Inferno and the driver comes around to let you out, handing you a card. "The name's Joseph. Contact me when you are ready to go back, Miss."

Matt takes your arm and walks with you to the entrance. Looking around, you can see a line of people waiting to get in snaking for some distance at the regular entrance, but there is no line at yours. Two large, well dressed Trolls are standing just outside the door. One politely welcomes you to the Inferno and asks for your invitations, which Matt provides. The second one is using some sort of hand-help tablet and watching both of you closely. After checking the invitations, the first Toll bids you welcome and lift the velvet rope for you, motioning for you to proceed. A short walk later, you approach a doorman who bows to you both and opens the main door. As he does, you can hear the beat of music from inside the club and Matt directs you to a large board that includes a "You Are Here" dot and a map of the various layers to the club. A pretty girl comes forward with two wristbands in her hands.

"Welcome and good evening. These are your wristbands for the evening. Now, my records indicate that neither of you have been here before, is that correct?" At your nods, she continues. "Right, then. These allow you to make use of every level of the club, to include the bottom three, which are usually off-limits. All your drinks for the evening are included, as well as a short list of the party drugs offered. The band will let you know if you need to cover the cost of the few drugs that are not covered, but that list is quite small. I think that you will find you will not have any trouble having as much sinful pleasure as you want. Any questions?"

Matt shakes his head and looks at you.
fibericon
Meira offers a smile at the woman and replies, "Thank you. I think we're alright for now."

Leaning in to look at the map, she grins and lowers her voice. "You had no idea what you were getting into, did you? At least you have a bodyguard." She laughs and adds, "I'm a little surprised, actually. This place has quite the reputation in the matrix. Even I've heard of that part."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 2053 Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt shakes his head. "Hell no. I had no idea. I may be smart and have a ton of bleeding edge hardware wired into me, but I would never have looked at this place on the matrix. When Ralph gave me the tickets, I though it was just a small nightclub................."

His voice trails off then he continues in a much softer and subdues tone. "I guess I really am kind of useless, just like you said. OK, so what can I do improve my standing in your eyes after this horrifying display of incompetence?"
fibericon
"People like to think that there are only two sides: criminals and law abiding citizens. The truth is a lot more complicated than that. You're going to need to do your research and find out what the world's really like. Well, at least Seattle. At the moment, it's hard to say much to you, because if I expect you to know what I'm talking about, I risk going over your head. If I don't, I risk offending you or missing important details that I take for granted. Let's start by you escorting me through this place."
Mercy

Matt nods and extends an arm for you. It is easy to navigate through the levels due to the presence of AR maps and guides that you can pull up, courtesy of your wristband. Each level of the place is vaguely themed for a different sin, but you can find lots of things available to do that would not seem to apply to the level. All of the staff and a number of the guests are in costumes, but most of the guests are not. Drinks and soft party drugs are available for the asking from any number of costumed staff. Matt takes one glass of wine but nurses it. There is some dancing going on to a techno beat in a room on the second level and he looks at you and nods to the room.

"Interested in some dancing?"
fibericon
Meira cocks her head, trying to follow the beat, then nods. "Sure. Ditch the wine first, though. Don't wanna spill wine on someone with easy access to drugs when they don't even check for guns at the door." She shrugs and adds, "Maybe they count on not letting everyone in, but that's just too easy to cheese. Someone like you could put a bunch of thugs on VIP pretty easy I bet."
Mercy

Matt nods and places his glass on one of the trays for empties and takes your arm, leading you to the dance floor. He puts his arms around you, but not too tight and not too close, putting one hand on your lower back. Surprisingly, he is a good dancer. He leads you through several dances then the beat changes to something slower and he looks closely at you before pulling you in closer. "Mmmm, your hair smells nice."
fibericon
Meira narrows her eyes, brushing off the compliment, and instead uses the opportunity to scan the room behind him. She'd been a bit on edge since the lack of a weapons check. Probably nothing to worry about, but how many people had "probably nothing to worry about" as their last words?

Perception: 9d6t5 3
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 2055 Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Scanning the people behind Matt is made easier as he turns you slowly in place. There are lots of couples on the floor and you see several women eyeing your dance partner. Some turn away when they see you looking at them, but two keep looking, as if daring you to make them stop. Both are young, in their twenties perhaps, or as close as medical science can keep them, anyway. You do spot one man who is probably wearing a pistol under his arm, but some of the newer sets of armored clothing make hiding a weapon quite easy and you might be missing a gun or two.

You do notice a man in one of the club costumes taking a lot of interest in you. When he catches your eye, he crooks a finger to you as if motioning you over to him.
fibericon
Meira furrows her brow at the staff member and mouths "working", hoping he can read lips. Lowering her voice as much as she thinks she can while still allowing Matt to hear her, she says, "You weren't kidding about the attention you get. This has got to get annoying after a while. Or, more likely, very quickly."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 2057 Dante's Inferno, Seattle

Matt chuckles. "Yeah, they put my picture on every game sold. Sometimes I can go about unrecognized, but then..............well, yes, it does get a bit annoying after a bit. All of which is why I tend to like to remain in out of public sight. And, just in case you were wondering, you are already working your magic, or else I would have expected several of the women here to have approached me already. Thank you very much."

The slow dancing only lasts for a single song, then the beat picks up again. Matt twirls you off the floor and to the bar, where he orders a fruit juice and looks at you for what you would like. While you are standing there, two young women come to Matt and start talking to him, seeming to ignore you even after he puts an arm around you to signify that he is here with you.
fibericon
Meira casts the women a look of annoyance, then looks to Matt, speaking loudly enough for them to hear.

"These waitresses are too unprofessional for my liking. Let's go down a floor and hope the ones there have been trained properly."

She makes eye contact with one of them, shaking her head and hoping to convey the disappointment in their behavior she might have if she actually believed they were wait staff.

Performance/Con: 6d6t5 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012