Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun past it's prime?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Masterofthegame
I'm sad to say that I've been away from Shadowrun for a while. when 3E DnD came out my group wanted to try it, so I've been running a campaign for them since then.

Two weeks ago that campaign finally ended, and so I've been itching to get back to the game I love. So, off to the FLGS for everything I missed and a marathon reading session to re-familiarize myself and catch up with what's up.

Now, I have always made an effort to keep my game collection up to date, so I have picked up a few books here and there... Dragons of the 6th World, Sprawl Survival Guide, Year of the Comet, Survival of the Fittest, Shadows of Norh America.... but it seems to me that it's been a while since I've picked anything up. So, I was shocked when I went to the store and found nothing that I didn't have already.

A quick search online showed that it wasn't just a fluke, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly new. I know Shadows of Europe is supposed to be coming out, but it seems to me that they've ben talking about that forever.

So, failing finding new books I turn to the internet and the always active Shadowrun community. Netbooks, fansites, forums... anything that will help me prepare for a game I haven't run in years. And this is basically all I find that has been updated with any kind of frequency. The creators of all the old netbooks haven't updated in years, my favroite sites are gone... It's sad really.

Shadowrun is my favorite game, and I'd hate to se anything happen to it. Is there really as little interest as I'm seeing, or am I just missing it? Perhaps there is a whole new generation of activity at places I'm not finding, and from people I'm not seeing.

I certainly hope so. Nothing would disapoint me more than to lose the only game I've ever seen that has it all. Great world, great story, great system.
FXcalibur
I wouldn't know about that, but I can find at least a few SR players wherever I look. One even plans to start a fansite soon, so the game's definately not dead. It's just not as popular as, say, D&D, so you gotta look a bit.
Voran
It's a tough call. Here in Hawaii, at least on Oahu, I can tell you its nearly impossible to find SR materials. Most of the big stores don't carry them, and its more than a little depressing to see walls of d20 materials. I mean, i like DnD, but...come on.

Grinder
Hey, you're living in Hawaii - isn't that enough? biggrin.gif
Synner
Sometimes 2 and 2 does not make 4...

First off, Shadowrun the game is pretty healthy all things considered. In fact some of the recent supplements have sold exceptionally well and overall there's been (for good and bad) an influx of new interest and players into the game (just take a look around these forums).

There has been a hiatus of almost a year in releases since Sprawl Survival Guide which had to do with industry issues beyond FanPro's control. Shadows of Europe has been plagued by delays but it will be coming out any day now. Mr Johnson's Little Black Book will follow soon thereafter. Loose Alliances is in editing while Running Wild and SOTA64 are almost complete and there's one more book in initial development and more stuff on the horizon.

However, a lot of old-timers and fans that used to make the Shadowrun online community the marvel it was have since drifted away or got caught up in RL. This wouldn't be a problem if the influx of new gamers was as productive and dedicated to the setting and concepts as the previous generation. Unfortunately as you can attest by numerous threads on Dumpshock, many of the new gamers are still largely unfamiliar with the universe and/or seem to prefer to focus on tweaking and maxing out characters and making the best of the rules (a trend with the D20 migrants) rather than making their own contributions to the mythos. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently "wrong" with people wanting to make albino night one magical adept combat mages with Increased Reflexes 7 or whatever, it's simply an entirely different approach to gaming and interest in Shadowrun than many of the long-time fans possess and more importantly one which easily gets bogged down in endless and unproductive rules debates. In fact this shift away from setting discussion to rules debate and tweaking has pushed away many old timers whose interest in the game has always been the detailed background and intricate metaplots, and none of the newbies seem as interested or as dedicated to the setting to produce the tons and tons of web material that the old timers did. Which is definitely a pity.

Let me ask you when was the last time you, a long-time fan, contributed to that online community?
Abstruse
The release schedule from FanPro got pushed back due to unforseen circumstances (computer crashes, printer problems, and stuff like that). Shadows of Europe is due out shortly (I believe Adam said it's at the printers now), and all the other books are on schedule. There should be 4-5 new books out by the end of the year, and Shadows of Europe is going to be over 200 pages I believe so there's lots of material in there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of those points though.

As far as the fan community goes, NSRCG (amazing character generator) software is updated with every new rulebook that comes out (current to Sprawl Survival Guide with its custom lifestyle rules), CCOC (cyberdeck construction and manager) was just recently updated (as in the past few days) as was Valkyrie (cyberware/bioware manager program). As far as optional rules and fanbooks, that area is pretty dry mainly because it's dry all over. Few people are writing alternate rules for ANY gaming system. The number of websites for D&D fan material has dropped significantly, and there's only a handful of Shadowrun and Vampire sites that still update. RPGing in general is what's stagnant as people would rather play video games or whatever it seems...

The Abstruse One
FXcalibur
The trouble with contributing to the mythos is that we newer ones get tend to flamed for our ideas by the older ones. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been told "SR's world is perfect and comphrehensive, don't make new shit up. SR's creaters write better than your silly ideas. Redmond's not like that! Survival guide says so-and-so gangs live there!" or "That's so anime/d20/new age/un-cyberpunk that it utterly ruins shadowrun's mood and setting! Don't GM what you don't understand. Now go make a tried and true run of the mill character with one of the usual archetypes because everything else results in you standing out, being inefficient and/or dying a quick bloody death." Heck, that even goes for SURGE even though it's a part of canon.
Synner
QUOTE (FXcalibur @ Jun 20 2004, 11:29 AM)
The trouble with contributing to the mythos is that we newer ones get tend to flamed for our ideas by the older ones. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been told "SR's world is perfect and comphrehensive, don't make new shit up. SR's creaters write better than your silly ideas.

I don't think that stopped Blackjack, Winterhawk, Wordman, Gurth and Adam Jury back in the day, why would it stop newbies? If you really have problems with it, put a disclaimer on the top of the page saying this is how things are in your game or this is "your personal take on the setting" and it is not intended and never was to be the canon take on things.

Just check out the New Seattle Intelligencer newsfax (currently on hiatus while I complete some official writing assignments) - there's loads of non-canon developments in there but the contributors keep adding for the fun of it. On a sidenote, I think its particularly telling how hard its been to drum up new contributors for that little project, which isn't anywhere near as demanding as running a webpage and producing content.

I admit that in my years of GMing I've pillaged dozens of non-canon compliant ideas, plots and concepts from the aforementioned webpages and more. I think most every GM does these days. We all have our personal worlds and there's no such thing as Gaming Police. Knee-jerk reactionary criticism is only as important as you allow it to be. If the EuroSBers had listened to some of the comments made at the outset of the project by some American and German fans, Shadows of Europe would never have been written.

As someone who's been published I can tell you, online writing and negative reviews are one way to learning the ropes and getting used to the kind of unconstructive criticism you get from the readers anyway.
Masterofthegame
QUOTE (Synner)
Shadows of Europe has been plagued by delays but it will be coming out any day now. Mr Johnson's Little Black Book will follow soon thereafter. Loose Alliances is in editing while Running Wild and SOTA64 are almost complete and there's one more book in initial development and more stuff on the horizon.

This is very reassuring. So many great games and talented designers seem to have left the industry lately, it's good to see that my favorite is still here moving right along. A year's delay is enough to kill most businesses, so the fact that FanPro could weather such a storm and pick right back up in strie speaks to its dedication and stability.

Let me ask you when was the last time you, a long-time fan, contributed to that online community?

A good point. I'll admit that it has been several years since I've contributed, which is a real pitty, since the desire has always been there, just not necesarily the drive (it's unbelievably hard to get excited about one game when you are trudging through another). When SR3 came out I was so excited, it seemed just what I felt the game needed. After years of players who couldn't appriciate it the way I do, perhaps it's best to come back into it fresh and start over.

It's just kinda hard when you're used to having a saftey net, then you get back up on the wire again and don't realize it's gone until you've moved away from the platform.

Ok, bad analogy.

Still, I'll admit my part in the decline of the game as I have known it. When you move away you just always expect thing to be like they were when you come back.

The good news is that now that I am back you'll all be forced to put up with my contributions now, since I'll be among the only games in tow, instead of lost in a sea of great contibutions smile.gif

QUOTE (Abstruse)
Shadows of Europe is due out shortly (I believe Adam said it's at the printers now), and all the other books are on schedule.  There should be 4-5 new books out by the end of the year, and Shadows of Europe is going to be over 200 pages I believe so there's lots of material in there.

I'm certainly glad to hear this. Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to complain, I know the developers of SR have always worked hard, and are among the most dedicated in the business toward the game and, more importantly, their fans.

I guess Shadowrun has just always been there, and I would hate to see that change. I've never seen a game with such a dedicated fanbase, and it was a bit shocking to be unable to find anything new, even from people who have always put forth such terrific effort.

I appologize if my thread title seems inflamatory or if I came across the wrong way. 22 years of gaming, and experience in nearly every system around, and I've always concidered SR home.

Guess it's time to meet the new neighbors smile.gif
Abstruse
You know, I used to blame D20 too for all the "bad blood" coming into Shadowrun and you know what? I've got two die-hard D20 players in my game who created characters that aren't all twinked out and are role playing the characters fairly well for not knowing the setting that well (though I must give much of the credit to the two other players who set the stage perfectly with their twisted conspiracy theories on top of conspiracy theories for my first adventure).

It is a shame that people feel they need to listen to people say "You can't do that!". I've known several creative people in varying fields from writers to artists to filmmakers and screenwriters and there's always someone saying "You can't do that!" The correct response to the "You can't do that!" emails, posts, and various flames is to reply and say "Too late, I did. And I'll do it again. Suck on that one." Or just not reply at all. I'm currently (slowly) working on a sourcebook for my local area (Houston, Galveston, Beaumont) which definately isn't canon and I frankly don't care what anyone else says. I've also got an update for the Mercurial adventure and about to start working on one for the original Harlequin (updating stats to 3rd Ed and making minor tweaks), but I'm not sure about copyright ramafications if I post them online since the intellectual property is still owned by WizKids even if they aren't printing the books anymore and even if I don't give enough information in the file to run the game without the actual game books...

The bottom line is don't worry about what others say, just do what you want. As most people know, 95% of anything fan-produced is crap, it's just no one can agree on which 5% is good.

The Abstruse One
toturi
QUOTE (Synner)

I don't think that stopped Blackjack, Winterhawk, Wordman, Gurth and Adam Jury back in the day, why would it stop newbies? If you really have problems with it, put a disclaimer on the top of the page saying this is how things are in your game or this is "your personal take on the setting" and it is not intended and never was to be the canon take on things.

Then why aren't they here? Or regularly contributing?

It is inevitable.
Siege
I think Blackjack started writing for the d20 system.

As for the others - they moved on? Stopped gaming? Had other things take precedence?

There are plenty of reasons why one might stop devoting hours on end to publishing fan material for no other reason than to publish.

-Siege
Cursedsoul
I for one can attest to the lack of people. But then again, I'm a hermit and I don't know how to really ask people about much of anything IRL due to my craptastic childhood experiences. Fat kids do not make friends. I've only just come around to the fact that this is less true as you get older, but its still solid as a dikoted rock.

I've been interested in P&P games for years, since when I was around oh...8 or 9. Its a decade later and I've still no one to play with. My only real friend throughout that time got into other things and neither of us know much of anyone else. Got enough to start a group, but it was subpar. One of them didn't want to play, one was literally just not able to grasp the concept of roleplaying, and the other got too ahead of himself like I've done and had his game explode when everyone else failed.

It was tough. I got into a SR3 game a year or two ago but that lasted a month. The GM had a couple years experience and alongside his twin they knew what they were doing. They moved to Newhampshire I think, so no more SR for me.

Got into an AD&D3E game a couple months after that along with Vampire: The Masquerade. I got to see first hand how the professionals do it. My AD&D GM (ran VTM too) had 25+ years of experience. Three other people had over a decade. The other two knew what they were doing well enough to pass. I was a total newbie, never having the opportunity to get into the game. I sucked massively thanks to my dice and my lack of knowledge. If it weren't my D20 raping me with his perpetual low rolls (I'd rountinely fail DC checks of 5) it was my newbiehood to pick up the slack.

Despite how crappy it was I enjoyed myself immensely. I needed more experience was my verdict because I was amazed at how seamless and smooth everything ran with the rest of the group. The DM even has my bad dice karma and he still did awesome.

Vampire was at first better because I was able to do more thinking, and D10's love me, but then the vets left and it fell apart.

I found Dumpshock sometime between here and tehre, so I tried to make an entrance into this arena. The people didn't care about me (no surprise because I was a new face) and I wasn't sure about the PbP format, but I gave it ago. Found out I could still enjoy myself, but when the 3-4 games I did try lasted a month at best I lost all hope. I was always one of the last people of the original group to call it quits.

At that point I stopped playing. Nobody IRL to play with. Nobody online who could stick it out. The interest was there but I'd be damned if I could find any.

Now I'm back, with 3 months till college and hoping that I'll find some pencilneck geeks (biggrin.gif) to play with.

Its tough being one of the people who hates 99% of video games. I HAVE to think I HAVE to ponder I HAVE TO ROLEPLAY. I don't do the final fantasy mambo any longer. After 8 I gave up the ghost. Hell, if it weren't for games like Wizardry with its oldschool flavor, Fallout 1/2 with its coolness, Wastelands with its better than coolness, MYST with its puzzles, my NES, and the Shadowrun games for Genesis/SNES I'd probably never play VGs.

Even right now I'm not playing much in the way of games. I want P&P. I must savor it, consume it, and make friends with it. Life in the minority sucks.
Nephyte
@Cursedsoul

First of all, it's not being Fat that impedes you from having friends. I know quite a few fat people within my various social circles, and they all have plenty of friends and keep socially active. Plus if it's really weight that's holding you back, that can be worked off. Oh, sure it *IS* work, definitely, but it's not a defining trait of who you are, specially not socially. Without going into details of my friends or my own personal life, weight is lost, if you earnestly put effort into making that goal come true.

Everyones a nameless face on the internet, and you're going to be sorely dissapointed if you think you'll be considered a valued member of most communities just by registering. People wait for you to start contributing, to make a judgement of you. Do you think people would have the same respect for Ancient History if he didn't contribute as much as he did to the community, and in such a logical way? What if he had just came here, and his only post was "I know more about SR Canon Meta-Plot then anyone here, and you all have it wrong?" No one would care who he was either. Your contributions and the manner you present yourself is what makes others recognize you and respect you.

As far as gaming goes. Play by Posts are typically shortlived because of the difficulty in keeping them up. Even a couple days lag on the GM's side can cause players to lose interest rapidly and for real interest to be maintained there needs to be fairly heavy daily activity. A hard thing for all but the most dedicated to keep up, considering work, family, school and a social life on top of anything unexpected that comes up. I'd love to join one personally, but I know my life is simply to erratic to dedicate properly to a PbP adventure.

Gaming groups are the same, it took me 5 years nearly after my first core-group broke up (I moved away) to find a good new roleplaying group with people who were genuinely friends. There were times of spotty roleplaying in between but nothing major. Even now, due to RL responsibilies of the various RPers I know, it is hard for us to sustain a campaign. To many people with dual responsibilities (School + Work) or Swing Shifts, Family events on days when everyone else can get together to roleplay.

@Well, whomever.

As for contributing to the community. I've really never seen anyone attacked for presenting a fluff piece contribution for others to read/use as background in their campaign. Yes, I'll admit, people do get flamed occaisionally if they attempt to introduce "munchkinized" rule's mechanic's or gear to the game. Remember the people Synner pointed out were once "Newbs" to the Shadowrun Community as well. Blackjack has taken plenty of flames for his site, some of which he even posted so he could comment on. If you put content up though, invariably someone will read it, and someone will like it. If it's fluff, you'll probably get a higher percentage who like it, or at least inspired by it in some way. If it's rules mechanics, well, that depends on how reasoned out the mechanic is.

That's my personal take on the community though. From my observations. Perhaps yours have differed.

@ Comments about the Game Dying.

From what I understand a First Printing of Core Rules of a Non-D&D Title* (All printing notes from here-on should automatically be considered Non-D&D) is Typically around 10,000 - 25,000 copies. Selling even the upper range of the First printing of core rules is considered pretty successful. Shadowrun is currently on it's 12th Printing of said Core Rules.

The Supplemental rulebooks (Crunchy books) are typically in the same range for the First Printing, and again selling the upper range is considered successful. Again with the exception of the Matrix, Shadowrun seems to be doing quite healthy here.

For the more Fluffy books, the first print is in the 5-10k and selling those is considered successful. Some books have entered a second printing, some still have stock of the first. Harder to tell how FanPro is doing with the Fluff books at the moment, but for the most part, many of them seem fairly well recieved by the community.

My numbers may be off, but that's what I recall from conversation with industry insiders. To me it looks like generally Shadowrun 3rd Edition is doing healthy.

Considering Forum activity, of the various company specific forums I visit, Dumpshock is the highest Non-WOTC board in Membership, which is something of an oddity considering it's fan-run rather then based on the companies main website which typically means a lower subscriber rate.
Synner
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 20 2004, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 20 2004, 07:47 PM)

I don't think that stopped Blackjack, Winterhawk, Wordman, Gurth and Adam Jury back in the day, why would it stop newbies?

Funny you should say that because some still do, only in a different way - they've gone on to become RPG freelancers. As I can attest from experience, when you start seriously writing and having deadlines and wordcounts to meet, all the while trying to keep your day job and possibly have a personal life and occassionally even play the game, putting out "free web content" suddenly becomes less of a priority. I've had to put the Idiot's Guide to the Matrix, the NSI and other projects on hold until I have the time to get back to them with the proper focus.

Of course, others have moved on, because of RL concerns, job situations, setting up families, stopped gaming completely and myriad other stuff that crops up in the normal way of things. Then again those people have all contributed significantly to what's out there already and we should all thank them for it. Their moving on isn't the problem. Its only natural for people to move on to other things when they've already spent 10 years on something like gaming. Indeed it shouldn't be a problem if those that followed the generation that put so much stuff on the web in the mid- to late-90's had taken the torch. Exceptions - like Ancient History's offerings amongst others - are noted because they are exceptions.

All that being said Dumpshock is still a clear sign that the Shadowrun community (at least online) is still thriving.
Pistons
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 20 2004, 07:47 PM)

It is inevitable.

Don't know about Blackjack or Wordman, but Winterhawk = Robyn King-Nitschke. She's been writing for the sourcebooks and contributing fiction for the website. She also has a day job, a marriage and cats.

Gurth playtests, sometimes contributes writing or feedback for the sourcebooks, and contributes to The Shadowrun Supplemental on occasion. I have no idea what his private life is like.

Adam Jury works full time for Guardians of Order as the layout man. He is also the Shadowrun webmaster. He sometimes writes for the SR sourcebooks and gives feedback. He is the Big Cheese behind TSS, which has been taking a backseat to all of the above jobs and, lately, City of Heroes. However, issue #19 is in the edit/layout stages. In addition, he'll be leaving to go to Origins very soon, which means he's been very busy helping SR and GoO prepare for the cons -- and con season means a lot of activity for game companies.

All this is in addition to other potential projects they may not be at liberty to discuss that takes up their time... who knows? Fact is, we're still around, and we still contribute. It's just not quite as visibly in the fan community as in the past. If we all had an extra five or so hours in the day, we might be able to keep turning out fan material... or we might be sleeping, or spending time with a loved one, or turning what once would have been material for a website into something for a sourcebook.
Xirces
Also remember that DSF isn't the only SR community. The ShadowRN mailing list in particular has a number of subscribers who can't always use a web browser to come here or don't want to.

Gurth, in particular, is a regular there...
Adam
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 20 2004, 08:25 AM)

It is inevitable.

Well, speaking for myself, I now work "more than full time" in the gaming industry; by that, I mean I have a day job [Guardians of Order] that accounts for 40+ hours of work a week, plus I do freelance work for other companies. After spending 60 or so hours a week of working on gaming stuff, sometimes I just want to sit down and read a comic, or even - gasp - play a game. smile.gif

That said, I still find some time to do fan-stuff for Shadowrun, but it's not like when I was in high school and could spend hours a day on it.

Edit: Whoops, looks like people beat me to it. smile.gif
Misfit Toy
I think the reason you don't see many fansites these days is because most people realize the futility in them.
FlakJacket
Oh Gurth's still pretty active over on RN. For Lester- Wordman- he got hitched a while back so he probably had/has other things on his mind. smile.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
I think the reason you don't see many fansites these days is because most people realize the futility in them.

Do explain this further.
Chance359
He could mean how back in the day before the forums, there was no centralized location for comparison on ideas about the world, mechanics, ect. So it was easy to post a fansite in your little corner of the internet. Now everyone brings their ideas to the forums and finds that there are alot of people who don't see the game the way they do, and they loose confidence in their ideas.
Squire
Sadly, my interest in Shadowrun has waned slowly over the last few years.

Part of it is that I really don't like the direction things take- Ever since 3rd edition SR has grown more cartoonish, more munchkinized, more instant power oriented. It has lost the gritty, desperate, street, underdog, cyberpunk (with magic), semi-realistic threat level, have to work your way to the top feel that originally attracted me to the game.

Part of this is the fault of the game's producers. Cartoon Shadow Run set in solidly with 3rd edition, the cartoon munchkin feel was embraced wholly with the art, the fiction and so forth. Rules changes were okay, but the game was now solidly marketed to a very different style of gamer.

Speaking of which- part of my problem is the changes in the gaming fans. It appears that the new generation of fans are more into being king shit in their game than actually role-playing.

Frankly, I don't care for that style of game.

Real life intrudes, but if you love the game you'll find time. Sadly, I'm not nearly as motivated to play as I was in the past. Part of that is having other interests, but a huge part of it is I simply don't care for what Shadowrun has become.

I've always dabbled in writing fiction and the Shadowrun universe has been very inspiring. But I haven't had any interest in writing Shadowrun fiction in over a year now.

I've been talking about getting a Shadowrun game together for about 6 months now. My players are all lined up, the campaign is one I ran in the past, so there is very little preperatory work to be done- yet I haven't gotten a single thing accomplished- I simply have no motivation to get it done.

I talked it over with my players and I'm going to make a trip to the local gaming store to see what other games might catch my interest.

Cartoon-munchkin Shadowrun has driven me away as a player. I'll watch the releases. I might pick them up, I might not. I might get back into Shadowrun in the future, but there is a decent chance I won't.

Shadowrun's long-term, loyal fan base- the people who have been around since first edition and buy everything Shadowrun related that gets released are in danger. I don't think I'm the only one who is losing interest. Shadowrun is no longer the game we love. The long-term, old-school fans have the money to invest in the game, but I know I'm not the only one who is losing interest.

The new generation of fans tend to have more limited resources and have to be very selective in how they invest. They also tend to have shorter attention spans.

But they may be a wider market base.

Perhaps the producers of Shadowrun made a wise decision by changing things, or perhaps not. Time will tell. In the mean time, I'm on my way to the gaming store to see if something else catches my attention.

That's not to say that the new, cartoon munchkin Shadowrun isn't valid or valuable- it just is not for me.
Shev
Another thing that gets in the way of fan site is actually having the skill to program them. I wouldn't mind making an SR site, but I know next to nothing about programming. (All I know is a little C++) I'll bet that confines a lot of new fans to just posting.
Prospero
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I love 3rd ed. and I've been playing since 1990, with 1st. I wasn't particularly happy with the cartoonish art of the 2nd ed core book and some of the more cartoonish art in the 3rd ed base book that I didn't think fit the SR world especially well, but the game, I felt, wasn't all that different. Besides the art, I'd like to know what you consider too cartoonish about the game (your post only said "and so forth").

In fact, I think the game has only gotten better. The 2nd ed Horror metaplot was fine, but I prefered Bugs and other stuff. Now, with the setting books coming out, I think Shadowrun has gotten a lot more realistic and interesting. Three words: Sprawl Survival Guide. Thats by far the most realistic and useful book (in an "everyday-what-cereal-do-you-eat-in-the-morning kind of way) that has ever been released for SR, IMO. SR has also taken on a strong realistic international feel (yeah, there were various country sourcebooks in 2nd ed, but many of them - like London, Tir Tairngire, and Tir na nOg - were not in the least gritty or realistic or even usable in many campaigns except as background). The SoNA (and, I hope, SoE) and Dragons of the 6th World sourcebooks (among tohers) have fantastic international settings that are much more accessable than anything that has been published before.

Anyway, you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm sorry to hear that you're loosing interest in SR. But don't think for a moment that all the people that have been playing/collecting since 1st ed feel the same. I certainly don't. You should maybe look around and give the game another chance. Don't run the same campaign that you've run before - do something different. Pick up the Sprawl Survival Guide and get back to the nitty-gritty life on the streets, if that's what you want.
Misfit Toy
Aside from the art and typicalpower escalation with each new book, I've had the exact opposite opinion of 3rd Edition. There's been a horrible trend to make the game more "realistic" (just look at the annoyance that is the Interconnectivity rules for cyberware, or the convulted mess for trying to figure out what satellite network you're supposed to be on). Even worse, instead of being inspired by or borrowing from mythology, they're taking the D&D route and introducing weird crap out of their asses and just giving it a mythological name (if we're lucky). Practically every new critter introduced to the game has been like that. About the closest we've gotten to something from real world mythology is the Bunyip... and that's just sad.

The coolest thing about the early days of Shadowrun is that it was reintroducing the mytholgical days of old into a gritty futuristic setting. Now, it's just a future setting with magic (note the boringness of that description?) and -- God help us -- anime-inspired junk like SURGE.

Sure, the older editions had its share of cheese, too, but at least its heart was in the right place.

QUOTE (Adam)
Do explain this further.

Tell you what, explain why there is a point in it. 99% of the stuff, both old and new, is second-rate at best. Of all the Shadowrun sites that have ever graced the web, there's only been three that had any significant amount of information that was interesting (to me)... and most of that was just the ideas they inspired, not the actual content.

So someone spends a few months putting a site together. It has your typical fare of new (ie, munchkin) weapons and equipment, broken rules, boring archetypes/characters/contacts, lame run ideas/ancedotes, and -- if you're really lucky -- humdrum commentary on the setting or even nauseating fiction. Now what? Satisfaction of a job well done at wasting server space and bandwidth on the rare occasion someone wanders by while bored? Because that's what the vast majority of material on the web is and always has been.

So... what's the point in that?
Cursedsoul
QUOTE (Nephyte)
@Cursedsoul

First of all, it's not being Fat that impedes you from having friends. I know quite a few fat people within my various social circles, and they all have plenty of friends and keep socially active. Plus if it's really weight that's holding you back, that can be worked off. Oh, sure it *IS* work, definitely, but it's not a defining trait of who you are, specially not socially. Without going into details of my friends or my own personal life, weight is lost, if you earnestly put effort into making that goal come true.

In response to that quote I have to say you just said everything I already know. I probably wasn't very clear.

Unfortunately you can't really explain that "appearances don't matter" to kindergarteners. Actually, Pre-school and kindergarten were fine, but 1-5 weren't.

No one liked me and I'd constantly be berated by name-calling and forced to play insulting roles if I wanted to play with them. I tolerated it because I figured I'd better myself (and I did) from it. Still, it didn't exactly help me learn the all too crucial social skills I should have.

I'm naturally hermitish, so this really didn't help. Middle school sorta taught me otherwise because by then people didn't really care. High school reinforced this and I guess I became pretty popular in the classroom. I still didn't hang out with anyone or have deep and meaningful conversations during lunch though. I had plenty of people to talk with and I enjoyed myself, but I never had any long lasting friends save for one. He got into some stuff I didn't want to be around so I killed the relationship, or rather put it on hold. He's cleaned himself up but he's busy so I don't see him anymore.

As for losing weight yeah I've started that process.

Now for the rest:

Perhaps you were misinterpretting my post. I didn't say I EXPECTED people to like me or accept me, or anything like that. I thought it was implied that I didn't. Apparently it wasn't strong enough so let me make that clear. smile.gif

Its just irritating more than anything. No one responded to anything I said unless I made a damnable fool of myself and then it was flame city. Not terribly encouraging.

Things have obviously improved since a couple years ago because posts like yours are actually happening. I like feedback. I like knowing what others think of what I've said/done/etc so I can record and adjust if needs be.

If no-one is responding it just makes that much harder and slower than I'd like it to be.

I'm not making any sense so I'll shut up now.

Thanks for caring and taking the time to explain, but it wasn't necessary. I already know pretty much everything you said about all that so its all good I hope. smile.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
Tell you what, explain why there is a point in it. 99% of the stuff, both old and new, is second-rate at best. Of all the Shadowrun sites that have ever graced the web, there's only been three that had any significant amount of information that was interesting (to me)... and most of that was just the ideas they inspired, not the actual content.

So someone spends a few months putting a site together. It has your typical fare of new (ie, munchkin) weapons and equipment, broken rules, boring archetypes/characters/contacts, lame run ideas/ancedotes, and -- if you're really lucky -- humdrum commentary on the setting or even nauseating fiction. Now what? Satisfaction of a job well done at wasting server space and bandwidth on the rare occasion someone wanders by while bored? Because that's what the vast majority of material on the web is and always has been.

So... what's the point in that?

Hi, Funk. Hadn't caught up on your newest handle yet. smile.gif

I'd agree, there's little point in doing anything poorly, or doing something that has already been done to death, unless you can do it better. I do think there's futility in another site of guns/characters/shadowrun 'funnies'/etc - I don't think there's futily in well done setting/background information, adventures, etc.
FXcalibur
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
*snip*

Ta-da.

I've been thinking. I've always enjoyed Blackjack's page and Raygun's too for that matter. So, uh, nice opinion...Thanks for sharing...I guess.

And Nephyte's making too much sense to me that I have to go do writing right now. Darn ye biggrin.gif
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (FXcalibur @ Jun 20 2004, 02:59 PM)
I've been thinking. I've always enjoyed Blackjack's page and Raygun's too for that matter. So, uh, nice opinion...Thanks for sharing...I guess.

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)

So you have two to my three. "So, uh, nice opinion...Thanks for sharing...I guess."
FXcalibur
Out of curiosity, what was the other one?

I didn't mean to brush you off or imply any offense, in case that was missed. It's just hard to acknowledge another person's opinion on a forum and not appear flippant or arrogant or 'thanks for telling. now go beep off'.
The Question Man
Q) Is Shadowrun past it's prime? frown.gif

A) I do not think so.

Q) Does FanPro's delayed publishing of new materials hurt sales? frown.gif

A) Possibly. I admit to losing interest about this time. Admitally, the Shadowrun campaign I had been running died about the same time. FanPro's delays and lack of new Shadowrun materials had an impact.

Q.) Did the abandonment of respected Forums Members lead to others abandoning the Forums? dead.gif

A) Yes, for me at least.

Q) Has Shadowrun become less Cyberpunk-ish with each addition? cyber.gif

A) Yes, for me the lack of shadowtalk in each supplement added a lot of flavour to the otherwise dry text. The loss of character/interview/stories also made for dry reading and loss of colour/flavour. As one of my gamers commented on Friday night I love that "Smiling Bandit strikes again , ha ha ha". Those little touches brought the game to life.

Q) Did later editions make the game more MUNCHIE? sarcastic.gif

A) Yes and No. It definitely had an impact, but the rules changes in the main were good. They simplified and clairified things greatly for me. (mind you Decking and Rigging rules will continue to be a struggle for me as a GM).

Q) Will I stick around? frown.gif

A) Maybe smile.gif , I love the Shadowrun setting and will continue to enjoy it. However I will continue to use House Rules to prevent POWER GAMING in my campaigns. The GM sets the tone, enforces the setting, and maintain the theme. The rest is up to the PCs.

Cheers biggrin.gif

QM (President of Lurker's Anonymous)

[[Post edited by Admin to remove the excessively large fonts.]]
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (FXcalibur)

Err, I didn't mean those were two of the ones I found useful information on. The three top ones for me are the Dumpshock Forums (obviously), the Big Knobi Klub, and Twilightrun.
Synner
QUOTE (The Question Man @ Jun 20 2004, 09:48 PM)
Q) Is Shadowrun past it's prime? frown.gif
A) I do not think so.

I agree. FanPro is hitting its stride and from what I've been fortunate enough to see there's some seriously good stuff coming down the line.

Q) Does FanPro's delayed publishing of new materials hurt sales? frown.gif
A) Possibly. I admit to losing interest about this time. Admitally, the Shadowrun campaign I had been running died about the same time. FanPro's delays and lack of new Shadowrun materials had an impact.

As has been said before this is not entirely FanPro's fault. FanPro would probably like nothing more than to be cashing in on the eager and waiting fanbase, unfortunately circumstances have dictated delays and FanPro is doing its best to get things back on track.

Q.) Did the abandonment of respected Forums Members lead to others abandoning the Forums? dead.gif
A) Yes, for me at least.

Let's not confuse issues. Many "respected Forum Members" moved on because of the closing of the Lounge, not because of the game. As a regular visitor to Underworld and other forums many now gather at I don't see many particularly interested in Shadowrun anyway. I personally believe that with a few honorable exceptions, many of them were regulars on Dumpshock for the community rather than Shadowrun and their leaving had little to do with the development orientation of the game.

Yes, some have turned away because of the trend towards tweaking and rules discussion but though their loss is felt they weren't nearly as many as those that left following the closure of the Lounge.

Q) Has Shadowrun become less Cyberpunk-ish with each addition? cyber.gif
A) Yes, for me the lack of shadowtalk in each supplement added a lot of flavour to the otherwise dry text. The loss of character/interview/stories also made for dry reading and loss of colour/flavour. As one of my gamers commented on Friday night I love that "Smiling Bandit strikes again , ha ha ha". Those little touches brought the game to life.

I have no idea why people continue to harp about this supposed "lack of shadowtalk". Every single supplement under FanPro has had loads of it (including inane placeholder fluff some people seem to appreciate). Have you read SOTA63 or SSG? Target: Wastelands? Maybe SONA?

Regarding the cyberpunk, its important to note that Shadowrun has always been about meshing different genres and atmospheres. It's all about fusion. As certain elements of the Cyberpunk mythos have fallen to the wayside of mainstream sci-fi (heck, even Gibson and Sterling are on different tacks these days) in favor of transhumanism and posthumanism, so too Shadowrun has evolved to incorporate the new trends. Doesn't mean cyberpunk is any less of an element, its just got more variety to bounce off. This is no longer the game with the elf mage with the cyberarm, its the game of the gene-improved elf mage with nanite lifesupport, biotech suprathyroid gland, chemical enhancement and a cyberarm.

If anything Shadowrun has made an effort not to fall further behind SOTA than the original authors already had and integrate those elements into the setting in an organic and natural fashion. Not everyone is going to like it, but it doesn't fundamentally change the setting. Nothing has been introduced that triggers the bigger, better, faster, more arms race that affected Cyberpunk2020 for instance. While at the same time the everyday details of life in the Sixth World have become more and more clear.

Q) Did later editions make the game more MUNCHIE? sarcastic.gif
A) Yes and No. It definitely had an impact, but the rules changes in the main were good. They simplified and clairified things greatly for me. (mind you Decking and Rigging rules will continue to be a struggle for me as a GM).

The system streamlining for 3rd Ed was very good. The Matrix rules in particular saw a major upgrade in usefulness.

Q) Will I stick around? frown.gif
A) Maybe smile.gif , I love the Shadowrun setting and will continue to enjoy it. However I will continue to use House Rules to prevent POWER GAMING in my campaigns. The GM sets the tone, enforces the setting, and maintain the theme. The rest is up to the PCs.

I hope you do. IMHO Shadowrun's next few releases (ignoring SOE to which I'm far too close to to be impartial) are exceptional in scope.

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
QUOTE (FXcalibur @ Jun 20 2004, 03:24 PM)

Err, I didn't mean those were two of the ones I found useful information on. The three top ones for me are the Dumpshock Forums (obviously), the Big Knobi Klub, and Twilightrun.

Personally I've always found Adam's The Shadowrun Supplemental, Blackjack's page, Rat's Winterhawk's Magespace, Raygun's page, Ancient's Files as well as dozens of other pages in French and German very interesting, inspirational and useful.
FXcalibur
Come to think of it, have the original writers of SR been interviewed (be it official or otherwise) on how they think the game is doing or how they think it's been progressing?
The Question Man
I'm sorry if it sounded like harping Synner. That was not my intention. Simply an obsevation. You say it is as prevelent as ever. I disagree. As to whether Shadowrun is not getting away from Cyberpunk setting/genre. I disagree, but I understand your point of view. Time will tell. FanPro's delayed products are not at fault. I agree, but it no less has an impact on consumers.

I enjoy Shadowrun smile.gif , I miss Shadowrun frown.gif , and I hope to see it again soon. wink.gif

QM
CircuitBoyBlue
Just to echo what Squire said on the last page (and I know he took some heat for it, and I will too), I have also been playing since first edition, and I think the game has gotten a bit cartoony. My solution has been to just not play third edition. I like the game a whole buttload in terms of how it was before everything started getting goofy on me. I'll still pick up the later sourcebooks when I get a chance, because some of them are an interesting read, but I don't really feel like incorporating them into my game, at least not in whole (a good example is the cybertechnology book that included oral darts [goofy] but also mentioned new uses for old ware, like a cybereye on your hand [neat]). I also personally hate what I think most of you refer to as metaplots. I like having Great Dragons be a specter in my game, sort of a fable your fixer tells you to get you to be less arrogant in your dealings with strangers. I couldn't give a crap less who Lofwyr is trying to manipulate this week. In my last campaign, we had to simply pretend that Dunkelzahn never became a UCAS citizen, never ran for president, never got elected, and was never assassinated. Problems arose when every sourcebook after that made these things impossible to ignore, and not only because they devoted a sourcebook to it (which we were able to just not buy), a friggin' megacorporation imploded because of it. So now we have to remember a list of corporations that don't exist in our games. And some stuff we ignore just because we got to it before canon did. Long before anything canon dealt with Russia, we had miniature campaign set up there that was drastically different than anything said in Target: Smuggler's Havens (at least I would assume so, we're CRAZY). Same goes for the Japanese Imperial State. In my current campaign (which is currently in 2051), we're starting to have conversations about what canon events are going to happen. So far I think we're in favor of bug spirits, though we might come up with our own rules for them. We slightly dealt with Horrors, though we don't have the Threats book they appeared in, so we used our scant Earthdawn collection (the main book), pretended we knew what we were doing with it, and made a loose translation to shadowrun. We own a few third edition rule books, but mostly because we bought them before we realized they were nowhere near as cool as our first and seconds. We agree that a lot of second edition is broken, but we have been playing it for a LONG time, and prefer to fix it ourselves, rather than look at the cover of the thirds. And shadowrun may have developed a good international feel, but that's the opposite of what we're looking for right now. Our last campaign had a bunch of globe-trotting hot-drek shadowrunners, but now we're mostly a bunch of street scum from the barrens that had never been outside Seattle prior to this week (had to take a field trip to DeeCee while we were all in DC). This Sprawl Survival Guide seems like a neat book, in that it seems like the first gritty, "you're trying to survive in the city" release in a long time, and it seems like it doesn't have anything to do with whether Lofwyr or Hestaby is on top in the power plays this week, and so I'll pick it up if I ever find another place that sells SR books, but even then I doubt that much of it would be applicable, just because my campaign is set in 2051.

The cartoony thing, and even the munchkin thing, is all well and good if that's your thing. It's just not mine. And by this point, I think Shadowrun has made itself goofy enough that it can never cater to me again. I'll continue to play it, but I'll be playing 2nd edition just like I have since 3rd came out, house ruling anythign that gets in the way. I love the game, and I won't abandon it just because it abandoned me. I don't really think you can say it is dead, because it is an inanimate being. I know that seems like an obvious point, but things that are frequently expanded like shadowrun seem like they have a life of their own. They don't; they have what life you give them with your little imagination. My imagination is stoked enough with what I have, I don't need to dampen it with things that don't suit my tastes. If they suit other peoples' tastes, that's great. But I'm pretty much done buying stuff. Which sucks, because I am interested in a Shadowrun community, I just don't think they'd want anything to do with me, because the Shadowrun I play is significantly different than the shadowrun any of you play, which is true for anyone, but ESPECIALLY true for people that are still playing an old edition, ignoring half or more of the canon timeline after 2052 or so, and are willing to go crazy with what characters can do with B/R skills.
Nath
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
In my last campaign, we had to simply pretend that Dunkelzahn never became a UCAS citizen, never ran for president, never got elected, and was never assassinated. Problems arose when every sourcebook after that made these things impossible to ignore, and not only because they devoted a sourcebook to it (which we were able to just not buy), a friggin' megacorporation imploded because of it. So now we have to remember a list of corporations that don't exist in our games.

Then get around instead of ignoring. That is, unless you don't want to hear about Novatech for other reasons. The fact Dunkelzahn was a dragon, that he ran for the White House and that he got assassinated play no role at all in Fuchi explosion. You just need anybody to own 4 millions of Renraku shares, to know Miles Lanier's name, to write a will and to die. If including such events is beyond your tolerance, you're playing a strange game. Actually, you should have more trouble dealing with the role played by a immortal posing as Leonardo da Vinci building computers for Renraku in a fort lost in the middle of desert, because it was much more decisive for Fuchi's fate than the dragon's election.

On my own, I'd be happy to see a thread about background bending for every twenty ones about rules twinking. I'm much more competent at that nyahnyah.gif
TinkerGnome
Someone needs to explain to me what the "cartoonish" aspect of Shadowrun is. I just went through the SR3 core rulebook and half a dozen 2e sourcebooks and the ratio of "cartoonish" art to more gritty art appears to be similar. There are only a few pieces of art in SR3 that I really consider cartoonish (the color plate with the rat and the dwarves being one).

As far as power... I've never had a problem with it. As a GM, you get the kind of characters that you want because you 1) communicate your desires and requirements effectively with your players and 2) you possess the ability to say no. Just because the base system makes somewhat stronger characters doesn't mean you have to let your game work at that level if you don't want to. I've made characters on 110 BP which worked just fine and fit a lower powered concept.
otaku mike
QUOTE (FXcalibur)
Come to think of it, have the original writers of SR been interviewed (be it official or otherwise) on how they think the game is doing or how they think it's been progressing?

I guess you're talking about Tom Dowd and others.
I did interviews of Steve Kenson, Jonathan Szeto, Patrick Goodman and Kenneth Peters on my old website. Unfortunately, I moved abroad, and I didn't take care to find some space online to move it as well. I got offers to help, but I'll admit I've been a lazy ass to do anything.
Maybe, if the Helix project kicks in really well, I'll adapt the interviews for it. But again, it may not fit in the theme.

Mike

Hey Peter, long we didn't mention about the Helix project. Is it still on your "to do" list?
Nephyte
@A General Feeling of People not Liking Shadowrun for it's Metaplot.

It just got me thinking, you're saying you feel Shadowrun is slipping because of it's Metaplot. Shadowrun as a Game does not equal it's Metaplot. That's like saying any other game out there equals it's game world. It doesn't. The game world (and Metaplot) are simply provided because for a lot of people, it's easier to use a pre-existing Plot and others world idea's then developing our own worlds.

I didn't like the Avatar series of Forgotten Realms. So I ignored it. Did I think it ruined D&D though? No.

Wasn't particularily fond of the DragonLance Metaplot, but I didn't think it ruined the game either.

There is nothing that says you *have* to use the Metaplot as a GM. However, you can't expect to buy a book that is fluff (and thus Metaplot) for 2060, and expect it to ignore the events of a 2057 Metaplot. This is true for every game system if you want to use their Metaplot.

Shadowrun itself is a set of rules governing how to play a game. It's also a concept of gameplay that really has nothing to do with the Metaplot itself. If I changed my world geographically, and had 15 Megacorporations and forgot about the NAN alltogether I'd still have the same core game to play. The rules wouldn't change, and Shamanic Totems are still perfectly viable with or without the NAN nations as a form of Magical Theory.

Shadowrun != Metaplot

The Metaplot might be cartoony to you, but that doesn't make the game itself Cartoony. No more then D&D must be played as an Overpowered Heroism game because that's the way Forgotten Realms metaplot is developed.

The fact that the majority of people seem to involve Metaplot into their home games is more a homage to the writers of Shadowrun for creating their own world that was wonderful enough that many GM's seem to want to use it. I'd say just from general impression that most D&D GM's would rather create one of their own worlds, then use a published one. Think about that for a second. That says to me that Shadowrun's Metaplot is presented in a way that the majority find it useable to their tastes, as opposed to far more popular Fantasy settings.
Abstruse
I've been playing Shadowrun since 1992. I was born in 1980. That means I've devoted half of my entire life to this game. I've bought almost every sourcebook either new when it came out or playing catch-up over the past year and a half. I just want to say this: I LOVE THIRD EDITION. The rules are much better, they're more realistic yet more condusive to an "action movie" type game at the same time.

The new sourcebooks are great (not as great as some of the older books like Harlequin or Universal Brotherhood, but those are two of the best gaming suppliments I've ever read in my LIFE). DotSW, SSG, SOTA, and others have opened up the game world incredibly, adding new depth and creating a much more living WORLD as opposed to just a living USA. Before these new books, it seemed like nothing changed in the Shadowrun world outside North America and Germany. Now, there are events happening all over the world and esp. with SoE on its way this year and Shadows of Asia in the works supposedly for next year, you'll have enough information to set a Shadowrun game damn near anywhere in the world. And there IS shadowtalk in all the sourcebooks, just not in the RULEbooks. At first I didn't like that, but now while playing the game and needing to reference stuff, I found it much easier to find what I'm looking for specifically this way.

The only thing I miss from the old days is the slow building of plots. You get tidbits of information in this book, clues in the next, in-character information the next, and finally rules in a fourth. I can understand why in the current gaming market why you can't do this anymore, but I really do miss it.

I love the game, love the game world, and want it to continue. Shadowrun is not past its prime. It's alive and well, and hopefully will continue for years to come.

The Abstruse One
tjn
To those that insist the previous editions of SR were less "cartoonish" then now: Rockers with green mohawks.

Say whatever ya might about SURGE, it never did hold a candle to early SR's obsession with the music industry.

If I ever have to play Total Eclipse again, I swear someone will pay.
BitBasher
"cartoonish" is in how the game is run by the GM. The SR game world can encompass nearly any style of atmosphere and work wonderfully in the hands of a competent GM. My game is, world wise, pretty much entirely canon and has never, ever been slightly cartoony.
Connor
I have to say Shadowrun is definitely not past its prime. Like Abtruse above, I've been playing since the mid-90's, but not quite as long as him. I've collected a huge amount of sourcebooks, although it's not as complete as I'd like and when people say Shadowrun is becoming 'cartoony' I just don't follow it at all. None of the guys I've played with for the past 8 years has the opinion that Shadowrun is becoming cartoony either.

On the topic of the artwork, not all of it is going to be great, but I think 3rd Edition has some of the best artwork yet. I love the art from DotSW, SoF, and SSG. There are a lot of great pieces and the cover from SoF is fantastic, imo.

3rd Edition is great, it's a huge improvment over the previous editions. I've never had a problem with 3rd edition character's being stronger and it's pretty easy to keep at the SR2 levels.

The latest material coming out has been extremely well written. The people working on Shadowrun today have a great grasp of the system and the world. If it wasn't for Shadowrun, I probably wouldn't be doing any role-playing anymore at all. Shadowrun is near and dear enough to my heart to keep me involved with it.

A final note on the metaplot. To me the metaplot is one of the strongest aspects of the Shadowrun game. If anyone hates the idea behind Dunklezahn being elected, the only people they have to blame are the Shadowrun fans who sent in their voter cards and drove the the metaplot in that direction. Even though my group never sent in our card (much to my regret) we would have voted for Dunklezahn.

No gaming system or world is perfect, but Shadowrun seems to have a very strong and above-average system and a very strong and above-average world. They go well together, they tie in to another game entirely in the case of Earthdawn.

I'm looking forward to all of the upcoming releases. It's a great time to play Shadowrun.
Siege
I helped playtest "Queen Euphoria". grinbig.gif

-Siege
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Nath)

Then get around instead of ignoring. That is, unless you don't want to hear about Novatech for other reasons. The fact Dunkelzahn was a dragon, that he ran for the White House and that he got assassinated play no role at all in Fuchi explosion. You just need anybody to own 4 millions of Renraku shares, to know Miles Lanier's name, to write a will and to die. If including such events is beyond your tolerance, you're playing a strange game. Actually, you should have more trouble dealing with the role played by a immortal posing as Leonardo da Vinci building computers for Renraku in a fort lost in the middle of desert, because it was much more decisive for Fuchi's fate than the dragon's election.

On my own, I'd be happy to see a thread about background bending for every twenty ones about rules twinking. I'm much more competent at that nyahnyah.gif

I agree with what you're saying, because you qualified yourself well. You're absolutely right that it's possible to play out the Fuchi implosion while still ignoring the Dunkelzahn deal. However, as you allow for, my group likes having Fuchi around and doesn't like Novatech. Yes, you're 100% right, we play a strange game, as I think I noted. And you're right again that the business about an immortal posing as Leonardo Da Vinci is absurd. So much so that I don't even think about it when I'm ranting about this stuff.

I can see why they do this stuff, a lot of it is amusing. I know most players go along wholeheartedly with whatever metaplot canon materials throw at them, and that's fine. It's just not the sort of world I like, just as my group prefers to come up with our own fixes for 2nd edition rather than switch to 3rd. Like I said earlier, I don't think that means Shadowrun is dead; rather, we're still giving 2nd edition life after all these years. Heck, if all else fails and 2nd edition dies for us, we'll still have a whole other edition to fall back on. As for a community dying out, I wouldn't know much about that. I know I'd be all about it, but I'm a lazy sod, and take a lot of prodding to contribute to anything. Outside this site, I don't know what's out there on Internet at all. It DOES feel like when I walk into gaming stores now (which are getting far rarer in themselves), I meet far less SR players. When I was in high school there were about 3 SR groups in a school of about 1200. When I was in college, I was the only kid in a school of about 5,000 undergrad and about as many grad students that played. In fact, it took a long time to find any evidence of ANYONE in DC playing. I don't have any idea how well it sells, but my purely anectdotal experience would indicate that far less people are playing now. Doesn't mean it has to die for the rest of us.
shadd4d
After having not played Shadowrun for a long time (2-3 years), it's amazing to me that I actually want to come back to the game. I'm in a similar boat as Abtruse (born 1981, started 1994). Sometimes the new art does strike me as cartoonish, if not really...not my type. On the other hand, some of the new art does have the grittiness for me.

I started with the 2nd ed and have picked up most of the books for 3rd ed. I still enjoy reading the books and the adventures.

The Shadowrun metaplot has always been interesting, mostly because I've always seen it as multiple metaplots. Deus, the bugs, the horrors, Dunkelzahn and the dragons, Proteus AG, the Comet, they're all their own metaplots. Interestingly enough, Shadowrun has never ever said, there will be an end (contrast that with Vampire or with the plot point books from PEGinc). If anything, Shadowrun doesn't stop, which is different compared to other games.

Shadowrun isn't the old alternative to D&D that I remember in 1997. On the other hand, it's probably one of the most international games I've seen. I don't think it's going to disappear anytime soon.

Don
Paul
Okayfirst let me that this topic comes up every year or so, at least twice a year.

I think Adam, Synner and Pistons covered a lot of what I would say in any sort of real substance, and likely better but there is one thing that caught my eye and bothered me.

QUOTE ("Synner")

Every time I buy a book Pete I contribute. Saying that I have to submit a piece to criticize what I buy is kind of hard for me to swallow. I've made no secret of the fact I love the game, and I like the people running the show-they're nice people who have supported my contributions to the game, and tried to help me put out better work. I don't necassarily agree with the direction my game goes at times, but the people at Shadowrun have even been cool about listening to me bitch, and even throw me and the geezers I hang with bones. (Increasingly in fact. A fact of which I'm pretty proud of them for. For an RPG company they're pretty responsive.)

But if I buy product I will extoll its virtues (Ask me a question about Bug City. I dare you!) or curse its wretchedness.(See any of my remarks on YoTC.)

Don't get me wrong-I still buy 2 of every SR book I can get my hands on. I've yet to send an email to the people at SR that I haven't gotten a prompt and courteous reply from Rob Boyle on. (Which f'ing rocks.)

So all in all I am pretty happy with the game, and the people running the show.
Synner
QUOTE (Paul)
QUOTE ("Synner")

Every time I buy a book Pete, I contribute. Saying that I have to submit a piece to criticize what I buy is kind of hard for me to swallow.

Come on Paul, that's placing my comment out of context and misreading it to boot. I was especifically addressing the original comment about the lack of updates and new (amateur) online content (at no point did I mention official FanPro stuff) in many of the Shadowrun websites on the net. I may have been a little harsh but it iffs me when people point stuff like this out or seem to think its a problem and themselves do nothing to change it.

This is an entirely different point from the one I've made on ocassion, whereby I tell people if they don't like something in FanPro material they should submit their own work and get a chance to change published canon instead of just griping about it. That's a completely different discussion for another time and place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012