Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racial Cost at Creation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DeadNeon
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I've always wanted to make a dwarf kickboxer/capoeira master just for the novelty of it.

He just walks around kicking everyone in the shins! rotfl.gif
Ol' Scratch
Whoa whoa whoa... those shins are pretty high up there, cowpoke.
shadd4d
This gives new meaning to "hitting below the belt".

Don
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (shadd4d)

Don

Hey, now. Let's keep it above the shoelaces!
Shev
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
QUOTE (shadd4d @ Aug 1 2004, 05:15 PM)

Don

Hey, now. Let's keep it above the shoelaces!

rotfl.gif
Birdy
Actually the common races brakedown often seems to be

2 Fays (always Magics)
2 Troggs (always with at least IQ3 so they're also smart)
Maybe 1 Human (often an almost Cyber-Zombie)

And often the problems of the 2.5+ Meter guys are handwaved. I was impressed when I recently got the chance to play with a group that had

1 Ogre (not even an Ork, an Ogre[More costs, lesser abilities])
1 Dwarf
3 Humans

and they played out the racial problems (Dwarf+Normal car => Problem) on their own. There is hope in SR....

The races are actually balanced if you put in all the "fluff" rules (Size, general fear, familie calling on you[1], paranoia[2]) Since they are often overlooked[3] this is not enough (same with Mages), so I'd rather suggest another 5-10 BP for elfes and trolls [and at least an Allergie:Mild (Meat and Iron) for elves. wink.gif]

Birdy

[1] How does an Ork form a gang - He's born
[2] Given the three elf nations and their "birth", I'd be a tad paranoid as a state. Gotta watch them revolutzers closely.
[3] Sure you can post "No Trolls wanted" at the bar. Most Troll-Players I met will have their Tumby go to Battle mode and have the group idle while the rollplay. So most GM don't do this. Same for the size of sewers. Seperating the munchkin from the action is bad.
kevyn668
The races are actually balanced if you put in all the "fluff" rules (Size, general fear, familie calling on you[1], paranoia[2]) Since they are often overlooked[3] this is not enough (same with Mages), so I'd rather suggest another 5-10 BP for elfes and trolls [and at least an Allergie:Mild (Meat and Iron) for elves. ]

So you're saying that elves and trolls should cost 15 to 20 BPs?! AND give 'em an allergy?!?

Hell with that, hombre. Keep talking if you want to sell me on it.

BTW, are elves still dietary vegitarians in SR3? I thought that got changed.
Fygg Nuuton
it was changed AFAIK
Birdy
QUOTE (kevyn668)
The races are actually balanced if you put in all the "fluff" rules (Size, general fear, familie calling on you[1], paranoia[2]) Since they are often overlooked[3] this is not enough (same with Mages), so I'd rather suggest another 5-10 BP for elfes and trolls [and at least an Allergie:Mild (Meat and Iron) for elves. ]

So you're saying that elves and trolls should cost 15 to 20 BPs?! AND give 'em an allergy?!?

Hell with that, hombre. Keep talking if you want to sell me on it.

BTW, are elves still dietary vegitarians in SR3? I thought that got changed.

Calm down partner! Put away that sixgun slowly before I use my field telefone on you. That's better wink.gif

Suggestion would be:

+ Another 7-10 BP for Trolls[2]

+ Another 5-7 BP and maybe a minimum level allergie against iron for elves[1]

The "Allergie:Meat" would be something only an Elf-hater would use in addition(they are not required to be Veggies)[3] Allergie:Iron OTOH keeps in line with common folks lore on elfs (can't touch cold iron).

Birdy

[1] With all the plastic/ceramic stuff around it's not as bad as it might appear

[2] Another 3-5 and "Impulsive" as well as "Bloodlust" suggested itself until I remembered that most SC Trolls I met had those (at least from the way they where played)

[3] On the other hand I like Elfs to suffer. And not being able to eat meat is torture IMHO.
Ol' Scratch
Believeable troll characters (ie, not combat machines with a Charisma and Intelligence of 1) are already a pain in the ass to create. Elves aren't far behind. 10 BP is "just right" for an elf in my opinion, and just a tad expensive for a troll even if my calculations above came out with them having the biggest bang for their buck.
kevyn668
Sorry. Forgot to add smileys...

I still don't think I understand. You're saying Elves should cost 15 to 17 BPs? AND have an alergy to Iron...Still not selling me.

I don't care what the mythology is. Most IC perspectives of Metas are geared toward tearing down Tollkien's stereotypes. Trolls aren't all dumb (though it is hard to build a char that isn't). Elves aren't all sissys (I've got a standard elf sam that'll ruin any human sam's day). Dwarves aren't all cave dwelling, tech freaks/sculptors, etc...

So the allergy is out, espeically if they aren't going to come in contact w/ the stuff.

Trolls...having them cost 15 to 20 BPs would effectively hamstring them. All they could be is combat mosters and even then munchkins 'round the globe would howl at the loss of 5 to 10 BPs that could be spent on the Body attribute. OR you plan on forcing all Trolls to be bloodthursty combat monsters. Did I read that right? Impulsive and Bloodlust (don't think that's a flaw. Combat Monster, maybe?)!! Cruel world you play in.

I don't particularly like dwarves but I don't make them suffer any additional penalties (other than "half pint" jokes). Besides, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to dwarves and for that matter, Orks. Though I secretly suspect that some players select a race based on the bonuses it confers...and thus why dwarves and orks are so popular in certain circles.

BTW, I would consider not being able to eat meat torture as well. smile.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Aug 2 2004, 08:44 PM)
Sorry. Forgot to add smileys...

I still don't think I understand. You're saying Elves should cost 15 to 17 BPs? AND have an alergy to Iron...Still not selling me.

I don't care what the mythology is. Most IC perspectives of Metas are geared toward tearing down Tollkien's stereotypes. Trolls aren't all dumb (though it is hard to build a char that isn't). Elves aren't all sissys (I've got a standard elf sam that'll ruin any human sam's day). Dwarves aren't all cave dwelling, tech freaks/sculptors, etc...

So the allergy is out, espeically if they aren't going to come in contact w/ the stuff.

Trolls...having them cost 15 to 20 BPs would effectively hamstring them. All they could be is combat mosters and even then munchkins 'round the globe would howl at the loss of 5 to 10 BPs that could be spent on the Body attribute. OR you plan on forcing all Trolls to be bloodthursty combat monsters. Did I read that right? Impulsive and Bloodlust (don't think that's a flaw. Combat Monster, maybe?)!! Cruel world you play in.

I don't particularly like dwarves but I don't make them suffer any additional penalties (other than "half pint" jokes). Besides, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to dwarves and for that matter, Orks. Though I secretly suspect that some players select a race based on the bonuses it confers...and thus why dwarves and orks are so popular in certain circles.

BTW, I would consider not being able to eat meat torture as well. smile.gif

Nope, didn't forget them smileys. Just wanted to make the old joke and your comment seemed right for it wink.gif [2]

Given that 8 out of 10 rounds I got to play in look like a cross-breed between "Elfquest" and "Magic-the Gathering" Elf characters are IMHO too cheap. More often than not they are played as "Humans with an ear-problem" and they get away with it since it's hard to argue racism with them (SR elfes obviously being Vulkan infiltrators [Small ear elfes] and not Manga infiltrators [large ear elfes]) since they have few (if any) visible hints. I have heard the "take an elf they get a lot of benefits" all too often. So maybe giving them a few negative side effects (Iron is rare, not non-existing) and raising their costs will return to the "Humans with Quota Meta" group composition.

As for Trolls: Basically the costs are there to kill them off as characters through a "soft kill". All I had the dis-pleasure to "meet" where monsters that where used as a weapon by the player to intimidate (Through tread of constant combat) the GM and group to do it "their way". Got my Sammy a few marks on his grenade launcher...[1]

It's a matter of taste and the tainted by the groups I played with. The current group suffered similar and won't touch SR with the famous 10ft pole. And IMHO the SR elfes (at least in the style commonly encountered by me) are massively Tolkien infected.

Birdy

[1] Troll player: I want to shoot something!
GM: There's nothing to shoot. S3 (our mage - stun ball) and S1 (me using Tranc ammo) disabled two soldiers on patrol and you can escape [Alpen Interdiction Zone]
TP: But my character needs to shed <Adrenalien> I seek out and eliminate the guards.

Got himself in big trouble since we left him alone at that. Nearly got killed (Nice GM) Turned a nice "City slickes in the Alps" into a "I search somethink to belittle/trash/anger/kill" scenario.

[2] Original was an Artillery officer(German) to a US infantry guy during a Reforger/Free Running exercise.
Fygg Nuuton
i dont think elf characters are too cheap, and i dont think trolls are too cheap.[1]

[1] this joke, however, is cheap. also, it isn't funny. why did i make the joke then? I dunno, why did you? wink.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
i dont think elf characters are too cheap, and i dont think trolls are too cheap.[1]

[1] this joke, however, is cheap. also, it isn't funny. why did i make the joke then? I dunno, why did you? wink.gif

Why did the 500 pound gorilla steal the chimpanzees banana - Because it could wink.gif

And actually it's kind of funny. At least if you remember, that on the other end of that phoneline was a batterie of howitzers (and it was "dummy ammo")

Birdy
Modesitt
I really don't get the idea of someone taking Elf solely because it has a lot of bonuses.

Take another look at Doc's analysis. Attribute Bonus is only worth 5 points if you actually use all 5 points worth of it. Meaning, your Quickness and Charisma are both maxed out at 6 points each. Take Joe Street Samurai with a quickness of 6 and a Charisma of 4. He's getting full mileage out of one of the Attribute Bonuses (Quickness), but as for the other two in Charisma, he's effectively 'wasting' 6 build points on Exceptional Attribute and the ability to still take it again. If we assume Doc's on the right track for pricing things, this would mean such an Elf is now at a -2 build points.

You can see a similar thing in the other meta types - I mean, just look at the Combat Mage archtype. He's getting reach, thermographic vision, and 8 attribute points out of being a troll plus a free kick in the nuts with steel toed boots. Try to rebuild that character under Sum-to-10 as a human.

As much as I hate Polaris as a person(This is not the first forum he infested), I'm inclined to agree with him to a degree. If you're not playing a character to whom Charisma is rather important(Face, infiltrator, caster that regularly conjures), you're just wasting perfectly good build points.
kevyn668
Where's Polaris? I haven't seen him around here in months...

If you're not playing a character to whom Charisma is rather important(Face, infiltrator, caster that regularly conjures), you're just wasting perfectly good build points.

I wouldn't go that far. Having a 3-4 charisma is almost mandatory IMO. Between etiquette, negotiation, intimidation (my personal fav for non-faces), and to a lesser degree, leadership, you've got some pretty handy skills that overlap with the face and ease the burden on him. Plus you don't have to wait in the car all the time.

I really don't get the idea of someone taking Elf solely because it has a lot of bonuses.

Echo that! I've never heard anyone say that about elves. In fact most people hate elves around here it seems. More times than not its "elves cost too much" or "Trolls cost too much...oh yeah, and elves, too."

BitBasher
The thing is, it has bonuses right where people some want them.

Besides, it's a real pain to get gear when you have a low cha, since the aquisition of gear is an etiquitte roll. No etiquitte and no cha equals little to no good gear.
kevyn668
Ahh, the munchkin in me tells me to say "I don't need charisma, we have a Face. She'll do all the shopping..." biggrin.gif

We really need a "munchkin" smiley...

But I see where you're going with the att bonuses thing. Hell, I am one of those people. But I don't like to play the occasional elf just cause I can bang out a 5 Charisma sam for the price of 3 BPs (for the record wink.gif)
BitBasher
Also, theres a big fat intangible feel of having a character that doesn't die of old age for hundreds of years, that actually does mean somehting to some people.
Ol' Scratch
Every point you don't spend on one attribute is a point spent on another attribute. Playing an elf with a Charisma of 3? You only had to pay 1 point for that -- now you have two "free" points to assign to any other attribute of your choosing.
BitBasher
I'm pretty sure I've never seen an elf start with a quickness ot cha of less than 5...
tjn
I've seen a good number of elves with 3 charisma. Though they're mostly all running with the same basic concept, that of the "grunge" elf. Either they're angsting up the fact that even though they're an elf, they're not one of the "pretty ones," or the outer look is symbolic for who the elf actually is, violent and uncouth, in an attempt to strike directly at the stereotype of the "pretty ones."
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I'm pretty sure I've never seen an elf start with a quickness ot cha of less than 5...

It doesn't matter. A human with Charisma 5 had to pay 5 points whereas the elf only had to pay 3... that's two points that get to be used elsewhere. And if any of those scores go over 6, that's 2 more build points they didn't have to spend per point.
Glyph
One of the intangibles that the metahumans have is the ability to start out with more than 30 points of Attributes. This is especially good to have for sammies, who need high stats in nearly all of their skills. Orks may have Charisma and Intelligence penalties, but my ork sammies tend to be higher in those skills than a comparable human - because the ork has a net 33 points to spend instead of just 30.

How those points are allocated is another thing. Look at the troll bonuses to Body and Strength - no other metatype can come close to that without cyber, bio, or adept abilities; all of which a troll can use as well. A human simply can't start out with stats like a troll's. Body of 11/12, Strength of 10, +1 reach - trolls are absolutely min-maxed for melee combat, soaking damage, and using heavy weapons (which use Strength as the linked Attribute). They also suffer an intangible disadvantage, though - they often take most of the enemy fire, because they are seen as a bigger threat.
snowRaven
Using SURGE effects and Edges & Flaws to 'alter' a human:

Elf: Bad Karma [-5], Pointed Ears [-1], Exceptional Quickness + Bonus Attribute [4], 2x Exceptional Charisma + Bonus Attribute [8], Night Vision [2] = 8 BPs

Ork: Bad Karma [-5], Pointed Ears [-1], Tusks [-1], 3x Exceptional Body + Bonus Attribute [12], 2x Exceptional Strength + Bonus Attribute [8], Night Vision [2], 'Underdeveloped Charisma' [-4], 'Underdeveloped Intelligence' [-4] = 7 BPs

Dwarf: Bad Karma [-5], Pointed Ears [-1], Exceptional Body + Bonus Attribute [4], 2x Exceptional Strength + Bonus Attribute [8], Exceptional Willpower + Bonus Attribute [4], Resistance to Disease 2 [3], Resistance to Toxins 2 [3], Thermographic Vision [2], 'Short' [-6] = 12 BPs

Troll: Bad Karma [-5], Pointed Ears [-1], Tusks [-1], 5x Exceptional Body + Bonus Attribute [20], 4x Exceptional Strength + Bonus Attribute [16], Thermographic Vision [2], 2x 'Underdeveloped Charisma' [-8], 2x 'Underdeveloped Intelligence' [-8], Dermal Deposits [2], 'Big' [2] = 19 BPs

I chose to use the fixed cost of 2 per level for both Exceptional Attribute and Bonus Attribute, and give 'Undeveloped Attribute' the same cost, reversed. Following the trend set by SURGE effects, I guess it would make a bit more sense to increase the cost of each level above the first by 1, at least for Exceptional Attribute. Doing this would make the costs as follows: Elf 9 BPs, Ork 10 BPs, Dwarf 13 BPs, Troll 24 BPs. In either case, quite unbalanced compared to existing values.

'Small' point value is based on the loss of movement multiplier (-4) and the increased cost of gear/penalties (-2).
'Big' point value is based on the bonus reach and benefits (+5) and the increased cost of gear/penalties (-3).

I think no matter how you count, elves get shafted in comparison. Only way to balance this out would be to add modifiers for racism (elves get off easy, dwarves second, then orks and lastly trolls) and life expectancy (elves get the most benefit, dwarves some, trolls a small penalty and orks are penalized big time). Taking this into account, I guess you could balance the numbers to something like Elf 15 BPs, Orks 5 BPs, Dwarves 15 BPs, Trolls 19 BPs.
Odin
I think no matter how you count, elves get shafted in comparison.

frankly I feel elves should be shafted they're already physically/mentally superior (to humans) although they do have a few flaws (bad karma,racism etc.) they have no penalties .All the other races are better in a few attributes but one or two attributes are always penalized to a degree frankly I'd be perfectly happy with elves being a lower cost but I'd want them to have a -1 to body as I see no reason they should have a body attribute on par with humans.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Odin)
frankly I'd be perfectly happy with elves being a lower cost but I'd want them to have a -1 to body as I see no reason they should have a body attribute on par with humans.

They're bigger than we are.

It's easy to overlook, because elves are lightly built relative to their height, but they're still a head taller than humans, and more massive in absolute terms. They don't get the hefty Body bonus of orks, which are a head taller than humans and more heavily built, both relatively and absolutely, but they're still big enough that the lack of penalty is reasonable.
BitBasher
Yeah, most people think of elves as short like they are in most other game systems.
Ol' Scratch
If anything I'd put them at Strength -1. That high Quickness comes at a cost and it helps explain their undersized but otherwise healthy and athletic bodies.
snowRaven
I agree with the good Doctor - a penalty to strength would make sense, giving the elven body structure with apparently longer and slimmer muscles.

That said, I like elves the way they are, and I wouldn't want to change their BP cost. The only race I feel is unbalanced for their cost are dwarves, and especially the Koborokuru metavariant.

With tons of bonuses, racism and size are the only drawbacks they have, and no matter how I try I can't see why they should suffer as much racism as, say, a red ork with twisted horns, a furry blue elf, a troll with the face of a cow, or a big troll with one eye. The same goes for some of the other 'more normal' metavariants, btw - especially Ogres.
BitBasher
So let me get this straight: The same person essentially saying "elves get shafted" is now advocating an attribute penalty for elves??!
Lantzer
QUOTE (Modesitt)
..., I'm inclined to agree with him to a degree. If you're not playing a character to whom Charisma is rather important(Face, infiltrator, caster that regularly conjures), you're just wasting perfectly good build points.

Um, so you are saying it's a bad idea to play a sammie who isn't a social cripple? Who may actually be likable? Who actually can get a date?

What about your contacts?
What about making _new_ contacts?
What about talking yourself out of tight spot where guns won't help?
What about making a good first impression on someone?
What about having freinds and neighbors who care about you?
What about getting laid? biggrin.gif

As a player and GM, I like characters with depth and personality.

A person with a low charisma in Shadowrun has a weak personality. Hes not just ugly-that's a flaw. He's not just a jerk - that's also a flaw. He's just a nobody, who nobody will listen to or care about. A grey man, leaving little imprint on the world -in the bad sense - the useful aspects of that are an edge. He's a minor irritant of a person, who's existance is of no consequence (At least until, as these people sometimes do, he goes postal in a McDonalds somewhere).

He's that guy who hangs on the edge of a social group, not really taking part, and mostly ignored by the rest of the group. He's the guy who will settle for being the 'pack omega' that everyone picks on because it's the only way he can belong.

Low Charisma characters get no respect. Sure they might be able to whup somebody, but that just makes them dangerous, not respected. Sort of like a rabid dog.
------------
I followed the link to that huge 'polaris war'. I think years of minmaxing have warped some people's perceptions of what is 'survivable'. I can crunch numbers too, but I do it to make a character fit as closely as I can to a mental concept. The results run over the entire range of combat effectiveness. My ex-lawyer was _not_ a combat machine, but did have his uses. My street ganger didn't know a damn thing about assault rifles, but could boost a car, break kneecaps, and face-down punks. My ex-detective street sam could hold his own in a fight, but was most useful in leg-work. My ex-trid-stunt-man could be nearly unstoppable.

The point is, each character is optimised toward being that character, not toward any artificial guideline of 'survivability'. I'm not saying you need to generate retired kindergarten teachers to roleplay properly. That's just stupid. If you have a character concept that could believably be of use in a shadowrun group, then as long as you stay as close as possible to the concept, the numbers will take care of themselves, one way or the other.

Some people have trouble with this concept. I wonder how long it will take before the 'Spoiled Runaway Corp College Kid' character in my game will get to use his highest skills (Gunnery[Drones] and Rifle). Hint - I made it quite clear that this was a street-level game. If he's smart and ruthless, he'll eventually get his hands on some drones - but how often does a street punk get his hands on armed milspec combat drones? The best way for him to use those skills is to help the group get a Rep and move up the 'shadows food chain'.

Well, that was my rant on the subject.
Beast of Revolutions
But remember, the elf also lives for three centuries. Good for your long campaigns. love.gif
Lantzer
A little more on topic, I haven't noticed any shortage of folks playing elves in the games I've known. Dwarves are still kind of rare. That whole 'be short and run slow' thing must scare people off. Or else they don't have enough of a 'coolness factor' for most people in SRun.

Humans? -lots of them
Orks? A few.
Trolls? more than a few.
Elves? lots.
Dwarves? Seldom.
kevyn668
Depends on the circles you run in. Some teams are comprised entirely of Dwarves according to at least one DSer (not this one).
Birdy
QUOTE (Lantzer)
QUOTE (Modesitt @ Aug 2 2004, 10:40 PM)
..., I'm inclined to agree with him to a degree.  If you're not playing a character to whom Charisma is rather important(Face, infiltrator, caster that regularly conjures), you're just wasting perfectly good build points.

Um, so you are saying it's a bad idea to play a sammie who isn't a social cripple? Who may actually be likable? Who actually can get a date?

What about your contacts?
What about making _new_ contacts?
What about talking yourself out of tight spot where guns won't help?
What about making a good first impression on someone?
What about having freinds and neighbors who care about you?
What about getting laid? biggrin.gif

As a player and GM, I like characters with depth and personality.

A person with a low charisma in Shadowrun has a weak personality. Hes not just ugly-that's a flaw. He's not just a jerk - that's also a flaw. He's just a nobody, who nobody will listen to or care about. A grey man, leaving little imprint on the world -in the bad sense - the useful aspects of that are an edge. He's a minor irritant of a person, who's existance is of no consequence (At least until, as these people sometimes do, he goes postal in a McDonalds somewhere).

He's that guy who hangs on the edge of a social group, not really taking part, and mostly ignored by the rest of the group. He's the guy who will settle for being the 'pack omega' that everyone picks on because it's the only way he can belong.

Low Charisma characters get no respect. Sure they might be able to whup somebody, but that just makes them dangerous, not respected. Sort of like a rabid dog.
------------
I followed the link to that huge 'polaris war'. I think years of minmaxing have warped some people's perceptions of what is 'survivable'. I can crunch numbers too, but I do it to make a character fit as closely as I can to a mental concept. The results run over the entire range of combat effectiveness. My ex-lawyer was _not_ a combat machine, but did have his uses. My street ganger didn't know a damn thing about assault rifles, but could boost a car, break kneecaps, and face-down punks. My ex-detective street sam could hold his own in a fight, but was most useful in leg-work. My ex-trid-stunt-man could be nearly unstoppable.

The point is, each character is optimised toward being that character, not toward any artificial guideline of 'survivability'. I'm not saying you need to generate retired kindergarten teachers to roleplay properly. That's just stupid. If you have a character concept that could believably be of use in a shadowrun group, then as long as you stay as close as possible to the concept, the numbers will take care of themselves, one way or the other.

Some people have trouble with this concept. I wonder how long it will take before the 'Spoiled Runaway Corp College Kid' character in my game will get to use his highest skills (Gunnery[Drones] and Rifle). Hint - I made it quite clear that this was a street-level game. If he's smart and ruthless, he'll eventually get his hands on some drones - but how often does a street punk get his hands on armed milspec combat drones? The best way for him to use those skills is to help the group get a Rep and move up the 'shadows food chain'.

Well, that was my rant on the subject.

On the other hand there is raw ability and there is skill. Take Fred Astair and Gene Kelly, two great actors/dancers. One had a huge amount of raw ability (a high attribute, low skillcost) so he could do with less training than most and still be great. The other had to train extremly hard (low attribute, high skillcost) Both are great.

Some of the greatest speakers in history where rather bland personalities, even brooding and depressive. They just trained hard.

Sure, it does cost buildpoints but you can start out and even life with a low charisma. Actually some characters should have a low attribute there to represent how people react to them initially.

Birdy
Kagetenshi
And you can do that under the rules. Don't you love it?

~J
Lantzer
Yep, actually.

I was seething earlier due to seeing folks taking a low charisma, then getting suprised when folks treat them like they have a low charisma. It's out of my system now.
Birdy
QUOTE (Lantzer)
Yep, actually.

I was seething earlier due to seeing folks taking a low charisma, then getting suprised when folks treat them like they have a low charisma. It's out of my system now.

We need a "Toilet" smilie

biggrin.gif

Birdy
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Birdy)
Some of the greatest speakers in history where rather bland personalities, even brooding and depressive. They just trained hard.

Sure, it does cost buildpoints but you can start out and even life with a low charisma. Actually some characters should have a low attribute there to represent how people react to them initially.

The problem with your theory here is that in the minds of many players, if they're starting off with a low Charisma they have no plans on developing or even learning a single Social Skill beyond maybe a token point or two in Etiquette. But I've seen way too many sample characters on this forum that had no Social Skills whatsoever. Not even Etiquette 1. And shock, shock, they practically always had a Charisma of 1, too.
Skeptical Clown
The funny thing about Charisma is that a Face doesn't really need it. If you have a lot of high social skills, what good is a charisma of 8 going to do you, really? I can understand the appeal of a character with a high Charisma, but really, it's still the primary dumpstat for anyone but a mage.
Birdy
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Aug 4 2004, 11:38 AM)

The problem with your theory here is that in the minds of many players, if they're starting off with a low Charisma they have no plans on developing or even learning a single Social Skill beyond maybe a token point or two in Etiquette. But I've seen way too many sample characters on this forum that had no Social Skills whatsoever. Not even Etiquette 1. And shock, shock, they practically always had a Charisma of 1, too.

So maybe it's me generating thinks like a Charisma-2 character with skills like:

Intimidation/Physical 3/5
Etiquette:Gang 2/4

and quite some money in contacts as an ex-ganger turned shadowrunner.

Birdy
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
The funny thing about Charisma is that a Face doesn't really need it. If you have a lot of high social skills, what good is a charisma of 8 going to do you, really? I can understand the appeal of a character with a high Charisma, but really, it's still the primary dumpstat for anyone but a mage.

It's going to reduce the cost for Etiquette 8. The important level, though, is Charisma 7, as that's the one that gives you another point of TN mod in certain social tests.

~J
BitBasher
Heck yeah, karma costs get substantial since charisma is the linked attribute. karma that's best used elsewhere.
Moonstone Spider
I like this thread. Can somebody do a breakdown of Shapeshifters and Ghouls on a point-value basis as well?
BitBasher
I don't think shapeshifters can remotely be compared here, because of the double attribute purchasing and the regeneration, among other less important reasons. Shapeshifters (and ghouls to some degree) just don't work well in normal games.
Lantzer
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)

I use it for determining people's reactions to a character when he is not actively using a skill to get something. It is a reflection of the person's true personality when he's 'off-camera', and being himself. It's a reflection of how a character gets along with others once they get to know him.

Faceman Joe has a CHA of 1, and Ettiquette 6.

He goes up to somebody, asks for directions, chats about the weather, and leaves, with the person thinking, 'what a great guy'.

Faceman Joe goes home. He finds that his room-mate is holding a party in the con-apt, even though Joe _told_ him that he needed his sleep tonight. And the Landlady is hassling him about his pet turtles again. And his girlfriend has left a message, dumping him because she can't get close to him. His team comes by in the morning, berating him for oversleeping, and sneering at his excuses. "Get in there and smooze that guard, Joe. We'll take care of the job while he's distracted. And the bar tab tonight is yours."

Walter Mitty.
Arnold Rimmer.
The faceless, ignored little men who inspired the phrase, 'going postal'.
That wimp who was locking up women in his basement and beating them, because that was the only way he could enjoy any power in a relationship.

Possibly good skills, no strength of personality.
One of those people who folks try to push around because they never push back, in a social sense. They aren't neccesarily easy to push around (could have a high WIL), but they don't project any strength in their relationships. They can be charming, insightful, stubborn, or crude. Makes no difference.

You probably know this person in your peer group. I know I do. They are very common, but you don't think about them, because they do not loom large in your mind. Perhaps at some point in your life you _were_ them. Perhaps you still are. Perhaps I was. Online, it's impossible to say. It's a very sad state to see.

Being a 98-pound weakling vs spirits is just the icing on the cake (or in this case, the creampuff).

I am, of course, describing the extreme - the 1 Charisma character.
tjn
Err, Moonstone? Ghouls. You even posted to the thread yourself nyahnyah.gif
Glyph
In addition to giving you a TN bonus for certain social skill tests, and being the linked Attribute for improving social skills, a high Charisma is useful in one more way. You roll a Charisma test to offset NPC racism.

Maybe that's why elves seem to suffer less racism. An NPC may be as likely to hate elves as he is to hate trolls, but an elf has an average Charisma of 5, while that troll has an average Charisma of 1. Who is more likely to roll more successes on the test to offset that NPC's racism? That's why elves usually wind up facing milder, subtler forms of racism.
snowRaven
QUOTE (BitBasher)
So let me get this straight: The same person essentially saying "elves get shafted" is now advocating an attribute penalty for elves??!

Yes! grinbig.gif

But with a minus 1 to Strength, I'd make elves cost 5 BPs in a heartbeat! However, that would also make them have a net total of 2 'bonus' attrubte points - too low compared to other races who have a minimum of 3 or 4 (some metavariant has more I think)

But as I said, I like elves the way they are, at the cost they are at. For a strict number cruncher, they are the 'worst' buy for race (excluding shapeshifters, and possibly NightOnes, Wakyambi and Nymphs), but they do have their benefits regardless.

But I still think dwarves and their variants rule! upsidedown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012