Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Chasing the Prize
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
BishopMcQ
The Network:
Names and images flash through image links for everyone attached to Bishop's Battle-Tac sim feed. Val Thorens seems to be the most common resort, the pictures would seem to indicate that it some kind of high-rollers resort. There are images from Sang Réal and Paradis as well.
Bastard
"Dont tell me he is already out of New York," JT's groggy voice trails off in frustration.
Johnson
Tiny stirs a bit as the notification of data recieved vibrates from the battle tac. Has a quick look, then gat some more shut eye.
HeySparky
Edana fires a message off to Christopher Robbin:

>>>>>[I'd like to go to Geneva some day. Maybe to France. Kick back in some of those fancy, high-roller chateaus... Sang Real, Paradis. Or even Val Thorens. So, you still coming to the party? Jordan would be so happy to see all of us.]<<<<<
--Sturmdottir [00:02:12/17-DEC2063]

She frowns, brow creasing in thought and looks at Charlie. She gives the cantankerous man a nudge, "Charlie? Charlie!" She feigns apology, "Hey, sorry to wake you. Can your decker friend check on the data we're getting from our man in New York?"

toturi
"We need someone to track this guy down in the Matrix. We've got to get ahead, or we'll never get this guy."
Tanka
Charlie awakes with a snort.

"Matrix? Wha? Oh, er, yeah, Debian can take care o' it. He got us our first info.

"Erm. Anybody got a phone I can use?"
Ecclesiastes
"Mine is internal, but I can make the call for you if you like."
Tanka
"Yeah, that should work. Tell 'im I sent ya."
Ecclesiastes
Getting the contact info from Charlie, Bishop places a call through to Debian.
HeySparky
Edana links a message to Bishop as he's calling, feathering in the data she's been fed. The name Jordan, Geneva, the names of the various chateaus. And, for good measure, the alias Christopher Robbin.
BishopMcQ
Bishop:

"Oi chummer, who are you?...Oh, Charlie-boy sent you, ok. Yeah, I can look up the info you need. Alright, an old fashioned puddle hopper just took off from New York. One D. Jordan purchased a ticket an hour before the flight, everything checked out and he boarded. Christopher Robbin is one of the good old boys in NYC, he shows up on some of the greyer boards when he's on the Hunt. The chateaus will take me a little while to find though so I'll get back to you. Let Charlie know that I'm just going to keep adding on to his tab."
Bastard
"So whats the plan Bishop? Where is Belafour headin'?"

"...Do you think we can pass New York and cut him off there?"
HMHVV Hunter
"So where we landing? NYC or Europe?" Helios says, obviously anxious for a decision to be made one way or the other.
Ecclesiastes
"Drek! We already lost him.. He hopped a flight to Geneva."
HMHVV Hunter
"Can you trust your contact on that? Is he certain that its him that boarded that flight?"
Bastard
"Can half of us continue onto Geneva, while the others track him down in NYC? That way if the contact is right, this is our chance to cut him off."
HeySparky
Let's split up. The words ring dangerously in Edana's ears. It's one thing in our own territory... She shrugs her shoulders, "I'm leery about blindly trusting Christopher Robbin and we should check him out. Maybe Debian will turn up something that can help us make our move."

She looks out the tiny window and can feel the cold radiating at her through the thick plastic. "I'll go either place. I'll go to ground in New York, meet with Christopher Robbin since he's been our contact," She pauses. He'll probably be plenty puzzled that we're not taking off after Ballefour. Wish he would respond. She continues, "Or I can go to Geneva with that team. Either way."

She looks at Bishop, squinting, considering his military manner. "Bishop, you're experienced with planning, what, 'Ops'... how do you think we should handle this? Who should go where?"
BishopMcQ
Edana:
Almost as if the thought brought the message to you faster, your p-sec chirps once again.

>>>>>[I wouldn't miss the party for anything in the world. I think we can spare some time to hit all those places, if we just plan right. You all are still coming right?]<<<<<
--Christopher Robbin [00:02:28/17-DEC2063]
HeySparky
Edana nods at Bishop to link the call to her phone. She clears her throat, scratching behind a long, twisting, backswept horn.

"Debian? It's Edana, one of Charlie's... hunting buddies. Great work getting all the data you got for us so far. It's been really helpful."

She pauses gathering her thoughts, "We need some more information, and fast. We've got a tip from a guy in New York, we sent you his handle - Christopher Robbin. He's an unknown quantity and while I think he's trustworthy, I don't have any proof that the information he passed to us on our mark's whereabouts is accurate. We need you to crossreference our mark's name - and, more importantly, his face - under the alias Jordan getting on a flight to Geneva. We also need you to check for reservations at each of the locations that I linked over to you."

She sends Debian the names of the chateaus and makes sure he has the doctored image of the doctor. Redundant perhaps, but thorough.

"Do you need anything more from us?"
BishopMcQ
Edana/Bishop:
"Ay, get you video feed from the airport, fly through three posh resorts and snag some data, then dig up what I can on your new friend. It'll take me some time, hopefully I will have everything by the time you touch down in NYC to either refuel or disembark."

And with that, the line goes dead.
Bastard
"So whats the plan? Who wants to check out the source, and who wants to get a head start to Geneva?"
Johnson
Tiny sturs at the on goings. "Why don't we dig in some of his history to see what he maybe doing or to what old school friend or college he may be going. There has to be a final contact. If we can get there we will cut the chase time down. Someone doesn't do something like this with out a Johnson or other contact doing his bidding. His trip must be part of a plan."

Tiny ponders a while. " If I was a man on the run where would I hide if I had cash and resources. I would seek assulum in a country that would protect the like of me. In Bellfours case where would that be?"

" What has me going who would be interested in a person of his calibre. Or who would do his bidding." looking at the team. " Would it not be better to do some of that magic you do that has got us this far. Maybe it would help."
BishopMcQ
The team continues to negotiate, plan and drip sarcasm from biting remarks back and forth until the jet begins its descent. Arriving in NYC at a small airfield several miles outside the city, you are faced with the choice of splitting up in a city that is foreign to you or sticking together and either rallying across to Europe or tracking down leads here.

The thin elf who has been in the main cabin with you during the flight, again slaps the door to the cockpit twice before exiting the plane. You see him pull a large hose out of the back of a nearby truck and begin refueling.

Debian calls back, exhaustion clear in his voice.

"Ok, here's what I've got. Fifteen seconds of video footage, where your man is buying a ticket under the name of Jordan. If you look in the background, the pale guy leaning casually against the post fits the description of Christopher Robbin that I collected from people in the know. He also purchased a ticket to Geneva after Ballefour left the counter. It looks like the doc's got a private limo at the airport to take him to Val Thorens. The address of drop off is a large chateau that belongs to the Marquis de Lyon.

That's all I could dig up on your man, as for Christopher Robbin--he's a bounty hunter. Seems to be more interested in the hunt than the money, he does occassional pro bono work and has pulled people down on three continents. Not too tech-heavy, he has a minimal matrix presence.

Was there anything else you needed before I get some sleep?"
Bastard
"Okay! Lets take this bird to Europe then."

There is a pause as JT scans the crowd...

"Oh drek, capital."
HeySparky
Edana nods impressed, "Great work, Debian. Charlie definitely owes you." She grins rakishly at the 'old' man. "Get some sleep, we need any info you can get on this Marquis and the chateau, but we've got a long flight ahead and there's no reason you need to get it to us immediately."

She looks at Gonzales and his brittle, wired wakefulness. "Though, soon as you can get it to us, Debian, please do. And thanks again." The pale woman cuts the connection and nods gratefully to Charlie who's grumbling over his 'luggage'.

She sidles up to the pilot as he inspects the plane while it refuels. She starts to speak and pauses, brow creasing, "Did we just fly this whole way without learning your name?" She chuckles, "If you missed it, I'm Edana. Thanks for being ready for us on the spot back there. Is there any chance your plane can make an international flight? Or if you know our best route for a discreet and uh... inexpensive... trip to Geneva?"
BishopMcQ
Edana:
"The name's Mickey. The credit for the flying goes to Piotr, I'm just a greeter and the first line of defense between your team and the pilot's cabin. What are you willing to do for the trip? With the appropriate contacts and your willingness to courrier a few things, I can probably convince Piotr to jump across the pond."

The thin elf leans his body into you as he steps across the fueling hose and pulls away again as it comes free in his hands and he tosses the hose into the back of the truck. Mickey reaches into an inner pocket of his coat and hands over a small envelope to the truck driver who pulls away with the bright red refueling vehicle.
HeySparky
This must be how it starts. She bites her lip. Legit one minute and in a blink... She shivers.

How what starts? Herne materializes as a hound just behind Edana's uncertainly fluttering hand. He butts his head and shoulder against the woman's leg. Edana's face blotches over with stormy streaks and electricity crackles over her eyes.

"Mind if I, uh, talk it over with my team?" She glances at the plane, "How long will it take to get prepped for take-off?"
BishopMcQ
Edana:
"I've refueled her already. It'll probably take me twenty minutes to look her over and make sure nothing shook loose. Talk with them and let me know what you decide."
HeySparky
Edana nods and walks over to the others, her hand buried in Herne's ruff. She squints at the ground and hesitates uncomfortably, "Uh... I talked to Mickey, there. He says we can get a flight overseas in this plane if we agree to act as couriers." She looks at their various expressions - stern, puzzled, grim - and shrugs, "I didn't ask what. I think it's bad form to do so," she shrugs again, "But what do I know?"

She looks at Gonzales, "So, should we see what Jason can come up with for us?" She digs her hands deep in her pockets, and shivers, breath clouding out in fog, "I'm torn. We need to keep moving, and this will get us there on the cheap. And since I'm flat broke this sounds good. But I don't want any... entanglements."

She shivers again and Herne butts his head against her leg. Too bad you're not a spirit. This would be easy. Well... he pauses considering the dangers of Astral space, Easyish.

Johnson
Tiny rubs his chin, as though he is pondering."Would it not be easier to find out if the pilot can make international flights and if he is prepared to wait until we have a final decision as what we really need to achiev here. I think we need to asses the situation and see where we are heading." Showing the crew the thumb and finger rub for money. "We have to be aware of the hidden cost situation."
toturi
Graves:

"Exactly. When I got this job, the impression I had was that this guy was local. The job nature has changed. What if this guy takes an orbital trip? Can we afford this? I understand that we've already called in some favours and racked up quite an expense, can we afford to cut bait? Can we renegotiate another deal? We need another plane ride back to Seattle if we are going to deliver our man too."
Ecclesiastes
"True, this is getting ugly. But the prey is uglier and needs to be caught. If for no other reason than he may know how to cure the thousands of sick people back home. Let bag him and get home. Find out what he wants us to smuggle and we'll see what we can do."
HeySparky
Edana nods, accent heavy as she gets more and more tired and worried, "I know guys, we're sorta in a bad place."

"I don't know about you guys, but I really can't afford not to catch him. Especially with that 'loan' out. If he takes an orbital flight we'll re-assess." She shrugs uncomfortably, eyes crackling with energy. "Plus, I want to nail this bastard. I'll see what's up with the courier business."

She looks down at Herne and his impassive, ancient eyes offer no guidance. A lot of help you are.

Hey, I'm cuddly.

Right. Cuddly. Edana snorts eloquently. Say, would you mind taking a look around Astrally for me? I've got the shivers... is motorcycle-man snooping again?

Herne takes two leaping strides away and vanishes into thin air as Edana turns to talk to Mickey. Brow quirked, "So, what do you want us to... uh... carry? Or should I not ask?" She shifts uncomfortably, "I'm new to this. Oh - right - we'll have another passenger along. That alright?"
BishopMcQ
Edana:
The feeling of wind surging through your hair pours through the sense-link between you and Herne. He makes several laps around the plane inspecting the nearby area before broadening his search to buildings within line of sight.

Mickey seems to sense your nervousness and his voice takes on a softer sound.

"No worries, everyone has their first time. I haven't made any calls yet, but you can carry whatever makes you most comfortable. Pharmaceuticals will be smaller, weapons more bulky. Do you want something smaller or less prohibitive?"
Bastard
"Due to the increasing area of endangerment, I am sure that we will be compensated somehow. Im gonna make a call to Detective Morgan."

JT steps off the plane for a little privacy as he dials Det Morgan's number. The plane seems a lot warmer now that he is exposed to the cold winter air again.

"Tak, it's JT...we have run into another bump in the road. Is this line secure, or at least secure enough?..."
HeySparky
"I chase people down for this sort of thing," Edana looks Mickey square in the eye, with no judgement or rancor, though maybe, if the elf is looking closely enough, he can see a glimmer of irony.

The tall, lean woman closes her eyes, allowing the rush of Herne's sweep to course through her. His boundless energy is intoxicating, his strength, steadying... Just think, Sturmdottir, what better way to learn the mind of your marks than to do what they do? ...his humor, exasperating.

With a stifled groan she opens her eyes and asks wearily, "By 'less prohibitive' do you mean 'less illegal'? If the answer is yes, then we'll do that." The woman imagines that 'less' in this instance is only a shovel or two different in the hole she's digging for the team, but it's worth the effort. Fragging fraggity fraggle frag... Ballefour. Edana's eyes flash and her skin clouds dark all over as she thinks of her mark sipping tea and selecting his luncheon sandwiches as he gazes smugly out at the craggy Alpine landscape. I'm so not dressed for this.

You should have summoned me with a coat form.

Right, when I was twelve I should have summoned you as a coat for a grown woman, brilliant.
Johnson
"I don't think I will give up the chase right now. Not this owing money on the last episode I had with the guards." Tiny gather his bag ready to move. "Ballefour is top priority for me at the moment and with the expenses racking up it look like I brake even and I only achieve seeing the world." Expressing a bit of anger. "This Chummer is not going to get the timke of day from me, it starting to get personal now."
BishopMcQ
Edana:
"You would be correct, I'll make some calls and see what I can find."

Mickey pulls a cell phone out of his coat as he walks towards one of the nearby buildings. Coming out a few minutes later with a thermos and a small pair of winter coveralls, he tosses the dull blue outfit towards you.

"Put that on, it'll ease the chill." He says in English before continuing his phone call in a gravelly Slavic tongue, Polish perhaps.

JT:
"It's secure enough for business. Keep it quick though, I'm running towards the end of the four hours I coaxed out of the Chief to get some sleep."
Bastard
"Tak, we are running low on resources...and we have good reason to believe that this has become an international attack, to say the least. We are about to hop a bird to Europe. Any support you could provide would be great....even just a protected flight home...once we acquire the target."

Kane sits at JT's feet, leaning against his right leg, almost knocking him off balance. He stares up at his master, as if to be involved in the conversation.

The sigh is definately heard on the other end of the line, which is quickly followed up by, "Kane says 'Hi'." He covers the mouth piece and commands the canine to reboard the plane. "Sorry bout that Tak, you know how he needs his face time, too."
BishopMcQ
JT:
The detective chuckles at Kane's antics, but the exhaustion is evident underneath everything.

"Don't worry about it, I know how he gets when he's been cramped up for awhile. I'll see what I can do for you, at the least I can get an HTR squad to take Ballefour off of your hands when you land at the airport. I'm sure a judge will see his leaving town as an eminent flight risk and we won't let him have a second chance. For anything more than that, I'll have to talk to the chief. Call me on your way back to the States and I'll let you know what I can do for you."
Bastard
"Thanks Tak, I'll let you get back to sleep." Taggart hangs up the phone, a little dissappointed. He was hoping for more, but knew it wasn't likely.

Returning to the plane he fills the team in on his call. "I was hoping for a bit more...maybe an all expense paid flight back from where we catch him, but somethings better than nothing. I really don't want to smuggle weapons and drugs, but we may have to bite the bullet on this one, unless someone has a better idea."
Johnson
Tiny looks at JT as he informs us of his discussion with TAK. With the expenses stacking up against the odds this seems to be a lose for him.

This was not the sort of brake he was looking for but works is hard to come by and the bills have to be paid. There is nothing more he can due than bite the bullet.

"So what are I immediate plays. Lets get those underway, so we can get closer to the long term plans. It looks as if we have to scrape the bottom of the barrel now. I would love to go to Europe but the expense would be to great, I may have to opt for the local operations."
Bastard
"Well it looks like we might have to go with the smuggling option, as much as we hate it. It is the lesser of two evils," you dont know if its the jet lag, but JT's voice sounds a bit beaten.

"Edena, what were the options Mickey gave us? You don't think he has something less illicit, like fruit and vegitables...or puppies?"
HeySparky
Edana catches the coverall and smiles a weak, but grateful smile to Mickey, "Thanks," she says as she toughs out unwrapping her coat and shrugging into the coverall. She pulls the coat back on and is surprised to feel the wind buffeting her legs but not feel the cold of it. She snorts and calls after Mickey, "Thanks heaps."

She folds her arms waiting for Mickey's return and hears JT's question. The beaten tone in his voice is echoed in her own. "Yeah, puppies." She gives a weary chuckle, "Mickey's gonna do his best. I asked him to arrange for the least illegal goods he could manage. What a mess." She shakes her head and starts --

"Oh! I need to call in Christopher..."

She fumbles for her pocket secretary and begins a message.

<<< Headed out to see our good friend soon. You joining us? We're at --

She stops. Where are we?

Up the proverbial creek.

Ha very ha, Herne. Found anything?
BishopMcQ
Edana:
A few interesting scents, but nothing that'll cause a problem.

Team:
After a few minutes of discussion, Mickey comes back into the plane. He passes through the cabin into the cockpit, several more minutes pass and the muffled conversation is barely audible at the edge of your cyber-enhanced hearing. The thin elf returns to the cabin, pulling the cockpit door shut behind him.

"Alright, I found some things that'll pay for the trip across the pond. They should be here in half an hour. I'll need you help me load everything on board, and then when we land help me off-load everything into a truck. Piotr said he's willing to drive the truck from there, so you guys are off the hook."

His attention swivels fully to Edana, "I'm just supposed to tell you, that the business between him and Townsend is settled, no more debts. Now, since I'm in the mood for more temperate climates, we'll be staying in San Remo while you do your business in Europe, and then it's a direct flight back to Seattle."

Mickey shakes his head as if he can't believe that he's doing all of this.

"Right, so does that work for everyone here?"

Bastard
JT starts to answer, then looks over the team. Wait, thats it? I must have heard something wrong, it cant be that easy. Can it? After scanning the party and seeing a few other surprised looks he answers.

"Yeah, that works for me...but whats in the truck?...Wait, I dont want to know."

He turns towards the team again, "Does anyone have any objections?"
HMHVV Hunter
Helios shakes his head.

"Long as it ain't human cargo, it doesn't matter. We gotta get this guy."
Johnson
Tiny looks at the others.

"I don't care what the cargo is, but if there is heat that comes with the cargo. Then someone is going to get it from me."
BishopMcQ
"The cargo consists of some inorganics, and judging by the way my chemsniffer responded from some of the bags that your team carried on to the plane, you are all carrying more ordinance that I'll be loading. Since there are some concerns over the cargo, it will be weapons. I won't tell you what or for whom, just suffice it to say that your flight is covered."

The smuggler opens a bottle of water and takes a long swallow from it. Despite his easy-going demeanor, there are signs of tension in his body as if his body was fighting against the reaction triggers embedded in his spine and lower brain.
Ecclesiastes
Bishop looks up from where he is kneeling in the corner. "Right. Lets do this then."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012