Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Chasing the Prize
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
HeySparky
Edana's posture snaps upright instinctively as the man's voice cracks across the phone. She blinks repeatedly, "Yessir." Pause, "Yessir."

She nods, "Yessir. Colonel, Sir, I'm afraid we're facing more than the French National Guard... Saeder-Krupp has the security contract here. Our work here is legitimate. So, is there any reason we shouldn't turn ourselves in? Apart from being held for months on end while the legality is sorted out? Sir."
BishopMcQ
Edana:
"O'Reilly, if you want to sort out the legality stand outside with all your weapons clearly thrown down on the ground beyond your reach. Neither the National Guard nor a private army will shoot you in that situation unless they have direct orders to do such. If they are just processing you for legal action though, you should be safe enough. Stand fast or double time it, but don't hesitate between the two. Hesitate and your dead."

There is a murmur of voices behind the Colonel, he has apparently arrived somewhere a little less private and his gruff voice giving orders is being noticed.

"You have your orders, now just follow them."

Yyou almost feel the cell phone snap shut as the line goes suddenly dead.
toturi
Graves: "So what the old son of a tank gun say?"
HeySparky
Edana looks a bit shellshocked. She speaks over the comms, <<Stand fast or high tail it to the UCAS embassy in Paris. Surrender or flee. Don't hesitate.>>

She looks worried, << I think we should surrender. I'm going to need medical attention. And that soon.>> She winces as deep inside her spikes tear through flesh.

<<Only problem is... how do we convince any authorities that we're surrendering.>>

She looks at the others as the team tramps down the steps toward Tiny and the garage. <<What if we sent out a distress signal?>>
toturi
Graves: "Alright then, I suggest we cache our heavy stuff somewhere we can retrieve it and call the cops ourselves."
Bastard
<"Well in that case we can unwrap the body...er, well actually we might want to keep it secured, do to possible biohazard contamenation. Or at least that could be a good enough reason.">
HeySparky
Edana blinks, she hadn't even considered contamination. She swallows. Her voice is low, raspy, as she croaks over the comms, << Transimission of the virus is by contact with... diseased flesh or blood. >> Her mouth grows slack and she stretches out her camo shirt, so covered with blood, Gonzales', her own, Ballefour's...

She closes her eyes tightly. I don't believe this. Please, please don't let this happen. << We have a very good reason to wave off any folks who are incoming. >> She takes the last few steps down with shaky knees.

<< Quarantine. >>

She looks at Bishop, << Can you make your Battle Tac helmet broadcast? What's the international code for biohazard? >>

If it were possible to tell, Edana's face would be even paler than normal. Her eyes, since Ballefour's shooting, have been a solid sheet of soft lightning.
Buddha72
Tigger activates his comm unit. If we can get them to talk to us we're a step ahead. Anyone here want to be a representative?
HeySparky
Edana shrugs at Tigger and flips on her comm nodding to Bishop to switch her channel to broadcast.

<< Mayday. Mayday. Mayday. >> She gives Bishop a hey-it's-in-all-the-trids shrug when he cocks a brow at her, << Shots fired and persons killed. Possible HMHVV contamination to multiple individuals. Request help. Coordinates to follow. >> She nods and Bishop uploads his battle tac coordinates.

She shakes her head and takes a breath, << Mayday. Mayday. Mayday. Shots fired and persons killed. Possible HMHVV contamination to multiple... >>

How did this happen... She repeats the broadcast over and over as Bishop cycles her through several possible channels. She and Herne gather up their gear and pile it with the rest of the munitions the team can divest itself of. She feels ghoulish pawing Charlie and Gonzo and Helios, but she doesn't want any of their ordinance to draw suspicion.

<< Mayday. Mayday. Mayday... >>
toturi
Graves carries the body of Ballefour down the stairway and to divest himself of his heavy ordinance. He is not worried about contamination. He does not have any exposed flesh, he made doubly sure his face was fully covered when the issue of the active sec cams was mentioned. He proceeds to the nearest toilet and searches the cleaner's closet for anything that is usable as a body bag.
Ecclesiastes
Bishop shakes his head, not letting the transmissions go through yet.

"Guys, there is a very high chance that the people we just killed have government insiders. I do not recommend trying to deal here. I know those guys and they don't take it lightly when their people die."
HeySparky
Edana tears the comm from her ear and advances, shaking, on the deliberate operative, "Fragging hell! Bishop you bastard! Transmit!" she shoves him ferociously as hard as she can in the chest.
Ecclesiastes
"Whoa. Easy girl. This is a personal comm unit, internal, not the heaviest flux. Just because they have remote cameras doesn't mean they can read our comms. If you want to transmit, be my guest, I can't stop you, and your comm is just as strong as mine, I just have the TacComm hooked into it. But I suggest that you heed my warning. These guys are bad news and its a damn good thing I'm wearing a helmet or they'd be sending the calvary after my..."

Bishop stops in mid rant. You can't see his face behind the helmet, but you get the feeling he just said way more than he ever wanted to. He sighs and continues, "Look, I don't know why the Brothers were out here, but you can bet it wasn't for some bounty, they work above that. We just geeked four of their men. It won't be forgiven and we're all targets now. So. My suggestion is that we all bail. On foot if we have too. If you want to stay, be my guest. Anyone else have anything to say?"
Bastard
JT follows Graves, pulling his share of the body o' Bellafour. Behind them, Kane follows. Overhearing the negotiations of his teamateds, Edena and Bishop, he puts his two cents in.

<It sounds like Bishop knows a lot more about these slots than the rest of us, so I say we do as he suggests. As much as I hate to admit, I know how corrupt the right side of the law can be. We aren't just protecting our own hoops, but all of Seattle is depending on us as well.>
toturi
Graves: "If we run, the odds are the police will issue an 'armed and dangerous' warning and the cops will not hesitate to shoot little holes in us. You're bounty hunters, you know how cops operate. We won't be doing anyone any favours dead. If you want some insurance, take out an ad in the local screamsheets."
Johnson
So what are we going to do here. Are we going to wlk our way out or what other way are me going to make tracks? Tiny Starts to prepare for either departure.
BishopMcQ
Graves:
Digging through the closet you find a box of large industrial strength trash bags. It certainly isn't the way you'd want to get carried out, but it'll work. A trail of blood has dripped behind you down the stairs and into the bathroom. The small trail becomes a larger puddle as the shower curtain that JT used to wrap the body up in, leaks onto the aged hardwood floor. You're almost certain that the floors will have to be stripped, sanded and refinished for the blood to come out of the various crevices.

Team:
Comm traffic flows through the old mansion as you debate your next course of action. Those of you with heightened hearing sense the distant approach of aircraft. It has been almost fifteen minutes since the first alarm was raised and the team invaded the resort.
Johnson
"Let go people I suggest we get going here we can't stay here another minute."
Buddha72
With a thought, Tigger dismisses the acid writhing around his fists. As he slides through the house, he moves into the area where Edana has been. His heart aches at her pain, she was not looking for this when she signed on. He focuses in and out, looking for a way to ease her pain and stands stunned for a moment.

She doesn't want to run. She wants to stay here?!

All through her aura are threads of anguish, fear and regret. She is torn in purpose and feeling. Tigger fades into the shadows and thinks. A few moments pass and he comes to a decision. One that she can live with and hopefully, the others as well. He glides forward, his eyes looking in the direction of her guardian spirit, begging for forgiveness as he lands a blow to the base of her neck.

As her body goes limp, he gently cradles her to the floor. Pausing a moment to stroke her face, watching the clouds and lightning crawl under her skin. He whispers to her and Herne. "I'll do what I can and I am sorry for everything." His face stone and closed he rises. "This is what she wanted, so leave it and get out of here. I suggest we all take different routes to minimize pursuit and capture." With that said he breaks out into a run and out the nearest exit and into the snow.
HeySparky
Edana feels the weight of Bishop's sudden halt in speech. She peers at him and backs away a step. She shakes her head at Tiny, "We need to stay - we can't afford the danger of running! I know there's a lot at stake - but you can't make yourselves into crimi--"

Tigger's strike comes out of no where, he catches Edana as she slumps to the floor. Herne materializes in hound form, crouching protectively over Edana, growling menacingly. The look on the Adept's face takes him a moment to understand.

Tigger strokes Edana's cheek, the storming under her skin slows, calming with unconsciousness. Herne backs down, eerily keen look in the hound's eyes as he watches her assailant flee the chateau. He lowers his muzzle to Edana's face and flickers, materializing into his pale-eyed human form. He smooths her hair and dashes off after Tigger. He overtakes the Adept swiftly and slows, running easily at Tigger's side as the Adept speeds through the snow.

Herne speaks as he runs, looking unwaveringly forward, "I thank you. When she wakes, she will be angry. But this is best. She needs help." His voice turns, "And perhaps we may turn this situation to our advantage. I will listen through her ears and bring their words to you."
Johnson
Tiny looks as Tigger head for the hills. Looking quickly over his should. Taking off like a sprinter from starting block Tiny Tries to catch up a pacing himself not to exert to much energy, as this could be a long run.
Ecclesiastes
"Umm... guys, where are we meeting once we're out of here?"

Oh well... they can go where they want, but I'm stickin' with the man with the bag.
"JT, I'm with you. Lets get that head back to Seattle, pronto."

Making his way to JT's location, Bishop brings up the heads-up display and begins to plot the best route out of the area.
Bastard
"Lets see if we can get a truck from the garage...preferably something that can go four wheelin'"
Ecclesiastes
"You really think we need the whole body and not just the head? The head we could carry on foot and make evasion less detectable. If you want to grab a car though, I'll stand by outside and cover you. Get to it."
Bastard
"Dont know...if we need the whole body. I just thought it would be odd to have that left behind without the head. I know if I was the DIC on scene and came across a headless corpse upon ten bodies, that would be the one I would first assume to be the target. Thats where I would target the investigation.
We can dump the body later, but I thought a vehicle could get us a short distance quickly, then dump it if we have to. What do you think? I will go with your decision."
toturi
Graves: "You know how to boost a vehicle? Do it. No time to waste and we need wheels. Go."
Bastard
"I thought there might be a key box down there...you know valet parking and drek."
Ecclesiastes
"Be quick so we can get the heck outta here."
Johnson
Okay, I will wait on the perimiter of the estate just out of view from the estate and the road. I will keep and eye out if anything is happening.
BishopMcQ
Across the mountain, Tigger surges. Muscles pumping to put distance between him and the chateau. He weaves through trees and underbrush with an inborn grace. At his side, Herne courses intangibly through the same obstacles that his companion ducks around.

Within the manor, JT stoops to grab a passkey from one of the house guards that died in the chemical strike. Together with Graves and Bishop, the three make their way across the snow, weapons at the ready. Seconds later the garage door opens and the former Lonestar cop requisitions a vehicle.

The engine of the Range Rover roars across the still, morning air. Cutting a path through fresh powder to the hard packed snow closer to the house and finally onto the cobblestoned driveway, the 4x4 SUV is driven fast and hard with the practice of combat driving from the Lonestar Academy.

A body in the trunk rolls and a criminal's head hits the sidewall with a wet thunk as the vehicle is pulled to a stop about a mile down the road.

Lines fall from a helicopter, figures in Military grade hardened armor drop and move with the precision and tactics of a special forces team as they course through the manor verifying threats.

Tiny jogs out of the woods and climbs into the back seat of the Range Rover. With JT at the helm, the black SUV designed to be equally flexible on the road as off, begins the descent down the mountain.

Tendrils of mana work their way into the cracks and crevices of Edana's mind. Opening her thoughts, words are forced upon the woman's psyche.

The hunter spirit whispers to Tigger that the response team has found his mistress. They haven't spoken aloud yet that he can hear but they have laid hands upon her body and begun to bandage her wounds.
Johnson
Lets get going we need to make distance between here and where ever we are heading.

Tiny Checks the gear he has left with him. The fact that this looks as if it has all gone wrong. Now things are going to change as now the hunter has become the hunted. This all to familiar feeling coarses through the vains of every shadow runner.
Ecclesiastes
Bishop checks the dashboard for any sensors gear that he can plug into.
BishopMcQ
Bishop:
There are no sensors to speak of in the dash. You see a port for the digital dashboard; the autonav may be able to supply you with a little information about your surroundings as the computer adapts to each turn and bend but it would be comparable to your own senses.

In the SUV:
You begin the descent down the mountain and for a few minutes think you might actually be safe. Then the sound of French rings out clearly through the morning air being broadcast from the helicopter above. When they repeat the demand in English you have a cold chill run down your spine.

"Stop the vehicle and remain inside. This is your only warning before we open fire."

Tigger:
You slow from the olympian sprint down to a pace that marathon runners would envy but you know you can carry for days. The breathing practices that you mastered to focus your will easily help you overcome the weaknesses of the flesh.

Herne whispers to you as you run that the team is moving Edana. They seem to have ensured that she is stable and moved her to a triage site away from the crime scene. Well-trained hunters, the security response team seems to be moving in a coordinated effort without speaking.
Johnson
Okay so now we have problems', what are we going to do about this?

Tiny looks to Bishop to see what his reaction is.

I hope this is not going to get messy, but I do suggest we stop

Tiny looks out of the window to see if he can see the Helicopter over head.
Bastard
"Dammit!"

"Think this thing is armored?"
BishopMcQ
Tiny:
Glancing up at the military helicopter, you quickly realize that the SUV would be turned to so much flaming slag within seconds. With a minigun mounted under the nose of the chopper, it wouldn't take much effort to destroy the vehicle and everyone in it.
Ecclesiastes
"Pull over. That thing will tear us appart, let see if we can disappear into the trees on foot. Someone grab that skull, we can't lose it."

Activating his Rutheniums, Bishop seems to disappear from the front seat.
Johnson
Bishop shove the SUV into the trees for some cover, where is the head?

Tiny looks around for the head grabs it be fore the SUV comes to a stop. Ready to bail out the SUV and head for the trees. for cover near the vehicle.
BishopMcQ
In the SUV:
Brief conversation passes between you as you debate what to do next. JT slams the brake and turns the Land Rover into a dark patch of trees next to the road.
Ecclesiastes
The second the SUV comes to a stop, Bishop throws the door opens and slips out into the cover of the trees.
Buddha72
Tigger continues to move through the countryside, sticking to foliage and trees as much as possible to distort his signature to drones. "Then no chance of over hearing if they caught any of the others then. Can you see any symbols or logos?"
Johnson
Tiny opens the sliding door of the SUV and steps out side the SUV and waits.
Bastard
"I guess thats it then...unless you have an idea of escape."
BishopMcQ
Edana:
A rush of chemical clarity brings you to consciousness, your body aches and you can still feel bony thorns ripping through flesh and soft tissue. Your eyes flutter open.

It's obvious you've been moved, the firmness beneath your back and elevation leads you to guess that you are laid out on the prep table in the kitchen. There is the tacky sensation of a slap patch on your neck and med-sensors on your chest and abdomen. Despite the ringing in your ears you have the self-awareness to recognize that clothing around your upper body has been cut away for the Savior medkit to spread sensor pads across your more vital sections.

There is a bright light flashed in one pupil and then the other. An armored hand holds the penlight close, checking visual responses. the other hand holds your shoulder down, not painfully but with the force of someone who has fought unruly patients for far too many years.

"What's your name? Do you know where you are?"

Behind it all, a whisper that you can't quite hear nags firmly in the back of your mind.

Tigger:
"She's awake. They have drugged her some how to force her consciousness. A shield, red across the top with blue and white stripes. An eagle. Her vision is blurry. It is hard to discern much more. Also the doctor speaks in English."

Herne keeps pace with you, the link that binds servant to master feeding information both ways.

SUV Team:
With Bishop fading off into the forest, you make a final stand.

"Move away from the vehicle with your hands in the air. Lay face down upon the street."

The sound of sirens descending the mountain road is barely audible over the soft thunder of the spinning blades.
HeySparky
Edana gasps, back arching, as the drugs crash over her, and she wakes with brittle, crystaline clarity. All at once everything returns - too intense - the lights, the sounds... the smells. The reek of the abbatoir that the Society hunters had made of the kitchen lets the horned woman know where she is.

A chill on her chest, something holding her down, the pull of skin over spurs of bone.

She struggles to get upright, "Ballefour!" she screams. The steady pressure on her shoulder focuses her and she squints as she looks up into the light flaring around a grim helmeted head.

Throbbing in her head settles in as the spike of awareness recedes. And the burning of the thorns in her skin. She takes short panicked breaths. Herne? Wha... Where are the others? She swallows, the man is saying something. She blinks.

Oh no. Oh no.

She paws feebly at the man's hand, struggling, "Where are they?! We are sup--" her voice cuts off as the man give her a no-nonsense shove down. She closes her eyes in defeat as he voices his question once more. This couldn't get worse. Her voice is ragged as she answers, accent making dimly coherent words barely intelligble.

"Edana. O'Reilly. Bounty hunter. License number 0071044, Class I. I, we, were here at Chateau Sang Real to apprehend the felon and ghoul," she coughs, "Lucien Ballefour. He is wanted... he was wanted--"

She coughs again, throat suddenly dry as the complete failure of the job sinks in. She breaks off and looks flatly into the reflective mask of her savior and presumably captor.

She suddenly feels the distance and a protective warning noise of emotions along the link between she and Herne. They left! Anger flares in her chest. She hears a tiny electronic bleat from the monitor on her chest. No... no. I needed the help. She takes a deep breath.

Keep them safe.

Hope for her allies, human and otherwise, fans out from her in all directions.
Bastard
"Run, now! I will stay and turn myself in. That is the right thing to do...," JT's voice trails off in defeat and uncertainty. He knows he should turn himself in, and let the system find the truth, but he knows that the others must get back to help solve Bellafours scheme. Hoping that turning himself in will also provide the others some time to dissappear into the forest.

"Kane! Follow Bishop!" The dog does as commanded, only after a quick nudge to his master. Somehow he knows, he wont be seeing JT again soon. Off into the country side the dog bolts, quickly dissappearing beneath the shadows of the trees. Soon he is on Bishop's heels to offer his assistance.

ex-officer Taggart set his shotgun on the ground, an act of surrender. He walks away from the vehicle, back toward the chateux, seeking the flood light of the helicopter. Once in it, hopefully they will remain focused on him, giving the rest of the team a few more seconds in their flee. He raises his hands in the air, after dearming himself of any other weapons.

Alone he stands in the middle of the French highway, awaiting his destiny.
Johnson
Tinytalks over the comms.

"I have the head. Should I take it with me or leave it in the back with the body?"

BishopMcQ
Edana:
"You have only a few moments before you will collapse again. Explain what happened upstairs, in your own words. Speak clearly and concisely, this conversation will be recorded."

The corpsman leans back to give you the illusion of personal space. Given the fact that his hand is still resting upon your shoulder though, it's a tenuous illusion.
HeySparky
Edana clears her throat nervously and clenches her jaw at the flare of pain in her stomach. She scans the man for any sign of his affiliation, spotting a crest, a badge really, that isn’t the Society symbol. Here goes. She takes a deep, shuddering breath and begins.

“When we arrived, the chateau had been ransacked. Filled with nerve gas. Everyone we found was dead. Upstairs was a bad scene. Ballefour had been…”

Edana looks away, “…Eating.” She swallows, “Another team of hunters - the same who and killed Gonz—the young dwarf and the old human - had our target and another man at gunpoint. The hunters shot the other man. I, I couldn’t stop them.” Tears begin leaking down the young woman’s face as she remembers the blur of events. “I could barely follow what was going on.”

She closes her eyes. “It all happened so fast. I tried to negotiate. With the sword… I’m not sure what happened next… Two of my team lunged forward and Ballefour’s neck exploded. The man with a gun on Ballefour shot him... I-I didn’t think they would kill him.” She shivers with the cold air in the kitchen.

“This… wasn’t supposed to happen.”
BishopMcQ
Edana:
There is a sense of movement behind you, but the angle is wrong for you to actually make out any details. You feel the stim patch get ripped off your skin and see drops of blood have soaked through the drug induction pad.

"Time to sleep again, if we give you another of these, your inherent mana levels in your body will suffer."

The medic seems clinically detached, acknowledging facts without lending weight to the fact that he could chemically rip the magic out of your body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012