Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actioneer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jason Farlander
While I agree that a strict reading of the rule in question does lead to toturi's interpretation, what I have not yet seen from anyone supporting it is a good justification as to why that interpretation is *reasonable*. I find Doc F's extrapolation/analogy using barrier ratings to be rather appropriate, and would like to hear a good counterargument that doesnt simply fall back on "well thats what the book says."
toturi
I use the optional Armour Degrdation rules in CC, so bear this in mind.

You have 4 pieces of armour.
Only the best 2 are effective.
You take a moderate wound, the best 2 armour are degraded, therefore the next best 2 come into play.

Also the layering rules do not reduce the effectiveness of armour modifications, so you may wear a few layers of armour with a lot Fire Resistance.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Feel free to point out the rule that says only two pieces of armor can be worn and have their ratings function together, keeping in mind that the quote about how to calculate the layered armor rating does *NOT* actually say that.  Your claim that it does say that holds no more water -- you're just viewing it as a cup half empty vs. my cup half full.

I'm reading the rule and following it precisely without fudging around the designers' "intent".

For the record, the full passage in question is:
QUOTE (SR3 @ p.285)

Layering Armor
Characters can layer armor for more protection, though even layered armor has limited effects. When wearing more than one layer of armor, add the rating of the highest-rated piece to one-half (round down) the rating of the next highest-rated piece of clothing or armor to determine the effective combined rating.

What it does actually say is that you take the highest rating armor and halve the rating of the next highest rating armor, all in the context of talking about wearing only two pieces of armor to begin with.

This is false, as can clearly be seen by actually reading the passage above. The context is "more than one layer of armor", not "two and only two layers".

You'll note a complete and total lack of continuation on that where it would, yanno, specifically state that no other armor functioned while worn beyond that point.  That's the leap of logic *you* are making, which is why I said neither point of view is right or wrong.

I'm not making a leap of logic. I'm reading the rules as written, which say that the best layer has full effect, and the second-best layer has half effect, and provide for no effects at all for any further layers. Again, if you want to invent a rule that says that subsequent layers have some effect, feel free to do so. But the rules do not say it. The most generous possible interpretation of what that passage actually says is that there are no rules for layering a third layer of armor, which makes any treatment of the situation a house rule.

I don't agree with that interpretation... I believe that, the context clearly being "more than one layer of armor" (again, not "exactly two layers"), and effects being described for two and only two of those layers, that two and only two of those layers have an effect, and any further layers that there might be don't. And I see a distinction between assuming that a lack of rules-described effects means a lack of effects, and assuming that a lack of rules-described effects means that some arbitrary undescribed effect should be applied.

And like I said before, I prefer to take the road of common sense that states that it does continue to provide protection.

Whether it's common sense is debatable. Whether it's what the rules say is not. It isn't.

No, because it doesn't exist (and I never claimed there was a rule like that, only extrapolating from the logic you so desperately want to cling to as being a canonal rule) anymore than the one you think exists.  And that's my point.  It's equally as stupid.

It's not equally anything unless you can show me the rule that you're referring to. I'm talking about an actual rule that's actually written in the actual book. You're talking about a deliberately ridiculous straw man that you created out of whole cloth. These are clearly not equivalent situations.
Jason Farlander
And around and around and around we go...

I believe two things are (or should be) abundantly clear here:

1) Everyone still posting has read the relevant rules.
2) Everyone still posting is rather firmly planted in their interpretation of those rules, and will not be swayed by quoting them here repeatedly.

Furthermore, Doctor Funkenstein has made his reasons for choosing one interpretation over the other very clear - he does not believe that it makes any sense at all for a particular piece of armor to somehow lose all of its protective value by the addition of another layer of armor. The barrier analogy he gives for this, while somewhat ridiculous, is not just a "straw man" - the idea that three layers of kevlar and/or ceramic plates are no more protective than having two layers is essentially the same exact thing as saying that three brick walls are no more protective than two. Theres an extra barrier for a bullet to pass through in both cases, and in both cases (apparently) that extra barrier doesn't matter.

What is not clear is whether the proponents of the alternate interpretation have their own justification, aside from a strict reading of the rules themselves, as to why they find that interpretation to be reasonable. If thats where the argument stops - that its the correct book interpretation, and no further justification is needed - thats fine. This is a game, and theres nothing wrong with simply wanting to play by the rules. However, if any of the proponents of that interpretation have a rational argument to present concerning why that third layer *shouldn't* provide any extra protection, I would like to hear it.
toturi
Again, I think it is not a matter of whether the extra layer provides extra protection, but whether it provides additional effective protection is another matter. It is a case of diminishing returns, somewhere along the line the returns aren't substantive enough to warrant an effective increase in armour value. And the writers decided that 2 layers was the limit.
John Campbell
Note that I have not, at any point, attempted to make any argument that Doc's house rule is a bad one, or even that the rule in the book is a good one. My assertion has simply been that Doc's rule is a house rule. So, yes, my position is based entirely on the rules in the book, because all I'm addressing is what those rules are.

If you want to debate whether they're good rules, feel free. I won't take part in that because I really don't care enough. I use the rules as written because, while they may not be entirely realistic, I don't think they're broken enough to worry about.
Ed Simons
I'd say there are several reasons to interpret it as only the two highest armors should count for protection.

1) Earlier armor layering rules listed rules for the first 3 layers, one at full, a second at half, and a third at one quarter. Dropping any listing for a third layer implies, that in the new version of the rules the third layer provides no additional protection.

2) As a game balance issue. If only the first to layers of armor count, then it's easier for PCs or NPCs to be wounded by attacks.

3) As a bookkeeping issue. It's much easier to keep track of only two layers on armor and calcualte it all out.

4) There are already rules for additional armor layers providing less than their full protection, regardless of interpretation. If you're going to complain about a third layer not providing it's full armor rating, why aren't you also complaining about the second layer not providing its full armor rating in protection?

After all, throwing that Lined Coat over the Formfitting Body Armor didn't make the FFBA thinner and less capable of protecting you. Obviously, layered armor is not treated like multiple walls in the game system.
Shadow
It is NOT a house rule. The rules are sufficiently vague as to go either way. Let me break it down word-by-word.

Layering Armor

Characters can layer armor for more protection, though even layered armor has limited effects.

Taken by itself this sentence says that you can layer multiple pieces of armor for additional protection. Note, it does not put a limit on the amount of armor you can layer.

When wearing more than one layer of armor...

I just want to point out, that again, it says more than one. It does not put a limit on the amount of armor you can actually have and get benefit from.

...add the rating of the highest-rated piece to one-half (round down) the rating of the next highest-rated piece of clothing or armor to determine the effective combined rating.

Here it says "Next". It does not say "second piece" or some such, simply Next. While not super clear it implies that you continue on with each piece, having it.

To me it is obvious, other not so much. I don't think theres a solid interpretation either way. For those of you quoting the German sourcebook, I don't think that applies. Let us use only the english language books.
Shockwave_IIc
I've always gone and read it as Dr F and Shadows inturpretation since before i joined these boards.

I really can't see why Having 3 layers of armour (Say, Jumpsuit, Vest, Long coat) wouldn't get me extra protection. It would weigh a bit, and slow me down. But thats why you take the FULL value of ALL of them to determine quickness and Combat Pool Penalties
toturi
I read next as being able to wear as many pieces as you want, but only the highest and next highest applying. But as you have said Shadow, it is obvious you apply every piece of armour, but to me, it is also obvious you do not. Why don't we ask the writers what they intended? Failing that, why don't we ask Shadowfaq instead?
John Campbell
QUOTE (Shadow)
It is NOT a house rule. The rules are sufficiently vague as to go either way. Let me break it down word-by-word.

Layering Armor

Characters can layer armor for more protection, though even layered armor has limited effects.

Taken by itself this sentence says that you can layer multiple pieces of armor for additional protection. Note, it does not put a limit on the amount of armor you can layer.

I think we can agree that that sentence is irrelevant. I included it only for completeness, to show that I was not leaving out some important context.

When wearing more than one layer of armor...

I just want to point out, that again, it says more than one. It does not put a limit on the amount of armor you can actually have and get benefit from.

It also does not put a limit on the amount of armor that you can actually have and not get benefit from. What it does say is that the clause that actually describes the effects of those layers of armor applies whenever you're wearing more than one layer of armor, not just when you're wearing only two.

...add the rating of the highest-rated piece to one-half (round down) the rating of the next highest-rated piece of clothing or armor to determine the effective combined rating.

Here it says "Next". It does not say "second piece" or some such, simply Next. While not super clear it implies that you continue on with each piece, having it.

"the next highest-rated piece". Not "the three next highest-rated pieces". Not "each next-highest rated piece". Not "all the next highest-rated pieces". Not "the next highest-rated piece, and then repeat until you run out of pieces". The. Piece. Singular. One piece.
Shadow
Well of course it doesn't say pieces. That would be bad grammar (look who's talking). The context is taking one piece at a time, and halving the rating. Not adding all your armor together and halving that.

I would like to point out that I still think it is open either way. Taken as John advocates doesn't make a lot of sense though. Why would you only get the effectiveness of two pieces of armor?

I think your interpretation of one word in the entire rule set, does not out weigh what everything else says. They say more, not two. At no time do they put a limit on the armor you can use.

This isn't a case of saying "well the rules don't say you can't do it." This is a case of the rules saying you can. The first sentence isn't irrelevant, it is part of the rules as a whole. If you ignore it I can certainly see why you think only the top two pieces go together. But then that would be ignoring a part of the rule simply because you don't agree with it.

In my neck of the woods we call that a house rule.
toturi
You have 2 points on the Armour effectiveness graph, one is for the first piece, one is for the second piece, the first piece is 100%, the second piece is 50%. Extrapolating from the graph, I have 3rd piece 0% effectiveness. I thinkthe intent is that the effectiveness of the additional armour are reduced for every extra piece you layer. From the 2nd Ed rules, it seems that way(1, 1/2, 1/4) and in the 3rd Ed, the rules simply ended it at two pieces.

Shadow, you may layer as many layers of armour as you like as per the rules. But only the best 2 are effective. If you want to ignore that only the highest and next highest are applied, then that would be ignoring a part of the rule simply because you don't agree with it.

Shadow
If the rule said "only the highest two pieces of armor apply" I would agree with you.

But it doesn't.

It specifically says More than one... not two. Not one + one. Or three minus one. It says More than one.

Where does it say two?

Quote me the rule where it says only two pieces of armor apply and I will bow down and worship you as a god.

But that isn't gong to happen, why? Because the rule says (all together class) More than one.

Nice attempt on the woods thing, but it only works if you are right.
toturi
You are correct, but the rules also stop at next highest rated armour, quote me something that says you can continue with the next next highest rated piece of armor apply and I will bow down and worship you as a god.

But that isn't gong to happen, why? Because the rule says (all together class) Next Highest rated piece. Period. No mention of your mystery 3rd piece.

Nice attempt on the woods thing, but I am right.

EDIT: It says Highest rated piece and Next Highest rated piece. Can you count? One piece, two pieces.
Jason Farlander
toturi: Your extrapolation *assumes* a linear function. Maybe its sinusoidal and the third piece adds its full value again! Maybe its PARABOLIC and the 4th piece adds even MORE than its base value!

We dont know! The rules dont specify explicitly! (I'm going with parabolic, m'self)
toturi
I assumed the Law of Diminishing Returns. Extrapolated from the 2nd Ed rules where the 3rd piece offers 1/4 of its armour value. In any case, the more you layer, the more the additional layers aren't as efficient.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Shadow)
Well of course it doesn't say pieces. That would be bad grammar (look who's talking). The context is taking one piece at a time, and halving the rating.

No. The context is taking one piece and halving the rating. There is no "at a time" expressed or implied by that sentence. There is no reference to doing this to more than one piece, at a time, simultaneously, or ever.

Not adding all your armor together and halving that.

Mathematically, there's no difference between A + (B + C)/2 and A + B/2 + C/2. Adding half the rating of the second piece and half the rating of the third piece will give you exactly the same answer as adding the second and third piece together and then halving that total. And neither method is correct per the rules.

I would like to point out that I still think it is open either way.

That's okay. You're still wrong.

Taken as John advocates doesn't make a lot of sense though. Why would you only get the effectiveness of two pieces of armor?

Because that's what the rules say. You get one layer at full effectiveness, and the second at reduced effectiveness. The third and subsequent layers have no effect at all.

If you're looking for why the rules say that... well, you'll have to ask the game designers. I personally suspect it's just to discourage even people who have ridiculous Quicknesses from wearing 37 jillion layers of armor. I doubt it would break the game to allow more than two layers to count, but I don't think it breaks the game not to, either.

I think your interpretation of one word in the entire rule set, does not out weigh what everything else says.

I'm reading the entire rule set, and interpreting the words in context. I'm not taking one word or phrase out of context and trying to make it mean something that it doesn't say. "When wearing more than one layer of armor" means "when wearing more than one layer of armor". It doesn't mean "when wearing more than one layer of armor, all of them count towards your armor rating". "The next highest-rated piece of armor" means "the next highest-rated piece of armor", it doesn't mean "the next highest-rated piece of armor, and the one after that, and the one after that, and so on, until you run out of pieces".

They say more, not two. At no time do they put a limit on the armor you can use.

No, but the algorithm for determining the effective combined value of the multiple pieces of armor is only affected by the ratings of the two best pieces. You can wear as much as you want, or at least as much as the rest of the rules, the parts dealing with Quickness restrictions and the ability to combine certain pieces and so on, allow. The quoted rules don't restrict that. They don't, however, provide for more than two layers doing a single bloody bit of good as far as your armor rating is concerned.

This isn't a case of saying "well the rules don't say you can't do it." This is a case of the rules saying you can. The first sentence isn't irrelevant, it is part of the rules as a whole. If you ignore it I can certainly see why you think only the top two pieces go together. But then that would be ignoring a part of the rule simply because you don't agree with it.

I'm not ignoring it because I don't agree with it. I agree with it; it's just not saying anything that's relevant to the issue at hand. It doesn't say jack about adding together more than two layers of armor. It doesn't even say jack about wearing more than two layers of armor.

It says that you can layer armor, but doesn't provide any maximum or minimum limit on how much. If you could only wear two layers (and I am not making any claim that that is the case), that sentence would be just as true as if you could wear two billion layers. It's layering either way.

It says that layered armor is of reduced effectiveness, but, again, doesn't provide any rules on how much it's reduced (and note that "no effectiveness at all" is definitely "reduced effectiveness").

It says nothing at all about how many of the layers count towards your armor rating.

In my neck of the woods, we call it "reading for comprehension".
Shadow
QUOTE (toturi)
I assumed the Law of Diminishing Returns. Extrapolated from the 2nd Ed rules where the 3rd piece offers 1/4 of its armour value. In any case, the more you layer, the more the additional layers aren't as efficient.

Wait, so your aloud to assume additions to the rules that aren't there, but I am not aloud to interpret the rules as written?

Second edition doesn't count. The rules don't 'roll' over. Just because a Second ed book says it is so does not mean it is so in 3rd ed.

Since you guys obviously are stuck on your view of the rules I will no longer attempt to educate you. I am not saying you are wrong, but my opinion is that you are.

I am going to go ahead and shoot out some emails to the designers maybe they can bless us with there knowledge.
toturi
QUOTE (Shadow)
Wait, so your aloud to assume additions to the rules that aren't there, but I am not aloud to interpret the rules as written?

Second edition doesn't count. The rules don't 'roll' over. Just because a Second ed book says it is so does not mean it is so in 3rd ed.

Since you guys obviously are stuck on your view of the rules I will no longer attempt to educate you. I am not saying you are wrong, but my opinion is that you are.

I am going to go ahead and shoot out some emails to the designers maybe they can bless us with there knowledge.

I was speculating that EVEN IF the 3rd piece was allowed to be counted as layered, it would have an reduced effectiveness of less than 1/2, going by the 2nd Ed rules.

It makes perfect sense to me that perhaps the writers were thinking that 3 pieces were too much and were thinking of stopping at 2 layers. The extrapolation is how I rationalised it.

I'd be much obliged to Shadow if you would post the reply to your email when it gets to you. Thanks. smile.gif
Shadow
For sure T, for sure.

<secretly hopes that he is really right smile.gif>
lorthazar
What the designers were attempting to do was make the game more lethal. Which i agree with to an extent.

However in real life if I am attempting to shoot through three layers of kevlar the bullet doesn't go all the way through one, then tells the second layer that it is only half effective, then tells the thrid layer to get the hell out of the way. No it has to punch through all three. not an easy task.

now I agree with layer full value of the outermost layer and half of each layer underneath.

Ombre
The Truth is out there...on the official FAQ...why don't you guys go and ask what the exact intent behind those oft-quoted lines was?
That would prevent irony and lack of courtesy from sneaking into the thread...wink.gif
Thanks , it was enlightening anyway.
Necro Tech
Just to answer for ShadowFAQ, I always believed as Doc Funk did. I had a character with a ridiculous Quickness that wore Camo 5/3, FFBA 4/1, Armor vest w/plates 4/3, and a merlin cloak 2/2 for a whoping 10/5 plus a helmet for a 10/7. There was a previous argument about layering and most people disagreed with me so I asked and was given the literal interpretation that agrees with Toturi that only the two highest from each category. In this case, the armor value woul;d drop to 7/4, 7/6 with the helmet. Do I agree, no, but my group tends to stick with the FAQ, lumps and all. As long as everyone has the same handicap, its makes no difference in the end.
Shadow
QUOTE (Ombre)
The Truth is out there...on the official FAQ...why don't you guys go and ask what the exact intent behind those oft-quoted lines was?
That would prevent irony and lack of courtesy from sneaking into the thread...wink.gif
Thanks , it was enlightening anyway.

I just checked the FAQ, there is nothing on it about layering armor that pertains.

I did however shoot an email to shadowrunRN (and I was as neutral as possible when wording it) and they all (at the moment) seem to agree with Toturi's interpertation. Though no one who has responded is offiliated with FP in anyway.

Next stop, a email to SRRPG.
Mercer
My group has always done allowed multiple pieces, trusting the combat pool and Quickness penalties to keep it reasonable. If you're penalized at full value and getting the half benefits after the first layer, it adds up quick.
Ol' Scratch
Yes. Yes it does. As long as you use that and common sense (ie, not wearing two jackets or other retardedness), it's perfectly fine.
Shadow
No where in the rules does it say "use common sense".
Mercer
Personally, if a character decided not to worry about having combat pool or using quickness-linked skills and wanted to wrap himself in ballistic cloth until he look like the little brother from A Christmas Story, I'd have a hard time caring.

On a related note, I've always found the "penalty to quickness related skills" to be a little arbitrary. So a character is so encumbered by armor he can't lift his arm to fire a pistol without difficulty, but he can box just fine? No penalties to fencing. He can't sneak, but he can climb a wall just fine. All very odd, quite frankly. I'd consider making it a penalty to all "movement related skills", and reducing it to +1 per 2 points or leaving it 1 for 1.
Ol' Scratch
Re: Shadow: They do, just not in so few words; read the first two sentences of the third paragraph in the Layering Armor section of page 285, SR3.

Re: Mercer: Personally, I don't mind the penalty to Quickness and Quickness-linked skills. However, I think Strength should determine the threshold for when that happens.
Da9iel
I buy into the argument that encumbrance rules factor in strength and body.
Mercer
Now this board has assigned reading? This place is worse than college.

Thanks, Funk, I'll look it up. I've had about a year break from SR and just started running again last weekend. About the only thing I haven't forgotten is the Matrix rules, which I never learned to begin with.
Ol' Scratch
Ack, you got me before I edited. My first line was in response to Shadow.
toturi
QUOTE (Mercer @ Nov 17 2004, 10:27 AM)
Now this board has assigned reading?  This place is worse than college.

No, you are getting a post grad course on Shadowrun. You have 2 Dragons as tutors too. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012