Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actioneer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fortune
An armor jacket is nothing like a suit jacket though.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cymophane @ Nov 15 2004, 09:03 AM)
so you say the writer put the asterisk (that means the jacket and cloak canīt be worn together) there just for fun?

EDIT: to elaborate:

to me a "Any component marked with asterisks may not be worn together" is pretty clear put

<just arghs>

If I haven't been able to make myself clear by this stage, there's nothing more I can say to clarifying it for you. Use it however you like in your campaign.
Cymophane
iīm sorry, english isnīt my native language,but what does "may not be worn together" mean if not "may not be worn together"?
Ol' Scratch
It means they may not be worn together and still count as a single piece of armor. If worn together, they count as layered armor as per the standard rules unless an exception is made in the text -- such as the exception in the Actioneer's text about the coat not applying any layering penalties when worn with the suit (but is still halved as if it were layered because of the asterick).
Cymophane
that would mean that i could wear Dallas Line for Men ensemble and wear both a double breasted jacket and a short jacket together with the rest but i had to add only 1/2 of one of the jackets armor value? so i could basically wear 2 jackets at the same time? that sounds a bit weird.
Ol' Scratch
Hence the potential layering penalties and funny looks you'll receive by doing so. But in a pinch, yes, you can.
DrJest
Everybody sit down.

Put your hot drinks or sharp objects down.

Okay?

I agree with Doc Funk

biggrin.gif

Looking at it from the sheerly practical point of view of someone who actually owns RL equivalents to all these things:

If I put on my one and only suit (owned for the purposes of costume; I'm a part-time actor) I can easily put my overcoat on over the top. For the record, it has a wool lining which I can easily imagine to be around the thickness of advanced armour materials in 2064.

If, on the other hand, I put on my leather motorcycle jacket (the one with the plastic inserts to help protect you when, as I did a few weeks ago, you come off your bike and skid down the road at 40mph, and which I therefore equate to an Armor Jacket) there is no way in HELL you're getting the overcoat on over the top. Nuh-uh, no way.

So I would rule that the standard armour jacket couldn't be worn with a long coat over the top. The Vashon Island etc lines, on the other hand, are carefully tailored fashion, and should be able to stack.

You can all pick your jaws back up off the floor now smile.gif
Cymophane
bleh, i looked the topic up in the german cc (arsenal 2060) and it states that the parts of the ensemble marked with an asterisk "können nicht gleichzeitig getragen werden" which literally translates to "canīt be worn at the same time"...so the german rules are a little more clear here.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 15 2004, 03:06 PM)

Yes, but the Actioneer jacket is not a standard armor jacket - it specifically is a business suit jacket. Just with an armor rating.

bleh, i looked the topic up in the german cc (arsenal 2060) and it states that the parts of the ensemble marked with an asterisk "können nicht gleichzeitig getragen werden" which literally translates to "canīt be worn at the same time"...so the german rules are a little more clear here.

So what are you saying, there IS some mysterious force physically preventing you from putting on the suit jacket and then putting on the overcoat?

well, no...but there isnīt a magical force keeping me from wearing a coat over a vest that has gel packs on it either...the rules prohibit it thatīs all.
lorthazar
Are we forgetting on thing. if you truly want to wear it you can buy a slightly larger size or or have it custom tailored to do so. However there is a limit to what would fashionably go together. i mean no one is going to wear leather to a Novatech board meeting unless his name is Villiers.

Fortune
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 15 2004, 03:06 PM)

Yes, but the Actioneer jacket is not a standard armor jacket - it specifically is a business suit jacket. Just with an armor rating.

I'm in agreement with you. My comment (which came late) was in reference to the idea of putting an Armored Jacket on under the Actioneer Long Coat.
mintcar
This is one of the things that is far to complicated in this game. I usually use my special Game Master Cheat™ ability to tweak the penalties for layering armor when it gets stupid, and to pull armor values out of my ass when the players are counting on their fingers with their forheads wrinkled. All my players want are to look cool and have decent protection. All this counting and tweaking back and forth does nobody no good.
Cymophane
Amen mintcar!
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Cymophane)
well, no...but there isnīt a magical force keeping me from wearing a coat over a vest that has gel packs on it either...the rules prohibit it thatīs all.

No, the rules do not prevent you from physically attempting to wear both. They prevent you from getting any extra special benefit from doing so.

Let me see if I can make myself clear.

Let's say you wear the Actioneer line, with the suit jacket:

Suit jacket (1.5/1)
Slacks (1/0.5)
Hi-Collar Shirt (1.5/0.5)

Totalling 4/2 in armor protection.

You put on the long coat over it:

Long Coat (2/2)

Because you are already wearing the suit jacket, you cannot get the special layering benefits from the long coat. You ARE still wearing the coat, it just means you cannot add the +2/+2 from the long coat to your armor total.

You should be able to treat the long coat as a normal extra layer of armor, though. Just like going and putting on a Mortimer great coat - you get half the armor rating, in this case +1/+1 for a total of 5/3.

the german rules prevent you from wearing both at the same time, it is as simple as that.

EDIT: i am referring to the stuff with asterisks (i.e. actioneer coat and jacket) here
Ol' Scratch
No, your interpretation of the German rules prevent that. HUGE difference between the two, especially since you insist on reading the rules out of context. You can't wear them together and have the outfit function as a single unit of armor (ie, no division of Armor Ratings). If you do wear them together, they function as layered armor in all ways unless specifically mentioned in the individual entry -- and the Actioneer line has just such a cavaet.
Cymophane
well, open the book on page 151 arsenal 2060:
Designerpanzerkleidung - Komponenten, die nicht gleichzeitig getragen werden können, sind mit einem kleinen doppelkreuz (#) versehen.

that simply doesnīt leave any room for interpretation.
lorthazar
I would say that has to be the most controlling and completely erroneous piece of reasoning I have ever seen, short of the "guns kill people" train of nonthought. If you read in the german rules that the 6th world was flat would you go with that?
KarmaInferno
Dude, there's a skill known at least in english as "reading between the lines".

It involves looking at what is written and then deciding what it actually means.

No rule is going to do something silly like make it impossible for your character to physically pick up a coat and put it on.

The rules will make it so putting that coat on does not help you.

This is why we have human beings interpret the rules, and not a machine.

sure you can put it one but you would receive no benefit at all, not even the normal layering. and please keep in mind that we donīt want to make up our own rules here, if we wanted to the whole discussion would be a complete waste of time (which it already might be).

EDIT: and i donīt see how pointing out the rules as written
unreasonable in a rules discussion (omfg).
lorthazar
Actually if all you had was the complete suit (which counts as 1 layer of armor) and the extra coat I see no reason it could not be layed as normal. Of course it's gonna be awfully hot. nyahnyah.gif
KarmaInferno
Why would you not get the normal layering?

If you wore a normal Armor Vest and then wore the Actioneer Long Coat over it, you'd be able to get half the armor value from the Long Coat. Why not elsewhere?

Here's a tip: Some things are not explicitly covered by the rules

This again is why we have human beings interpreting the rules, so when you run into grey areas you can make a new ruling and avoid silly situations that make no sense.

Here's another revelation: Sometimes rules are written badly.

You will occasionally run into rules where it's written strangely, but it is clear what the author actually meant. This may be one of thise times.

"Some things are not explicitly covered by the rules"

But this is covered by the rules! it is explicitely covered by the rules but ok, i you donīt want to get that...
Ol' Scratch
Dude, seriously, the rule is saying that you can't wear them together and have them function as a single piece of armor. That's all. It's not saying they can never be worn together, ever. That's YOU reading it out of context.
KarmaInferno
So this is a case where the text is worded badly.

Think about this. A rule that physically prevents a character from reaching out, grabbing his coat, and putting it on is patently silly.

It is more reasonable that the rule is meant to apply to the game mechanics, not the actual physical act of putting on the coat.

"Designerpanzerkleidung - Komponenten, die nicht gleichzeitig getragen werden können, sind mit einem kleinen doppelkreuz (#) versehen."

which part of "components marked with # cannot be worn together at the same time" didnīt you understand?
KarmaInferno
What part of "you are interpreting the rules FAR too narrowly" do you not understand?

It's okay. If you're the GM, you can go ahead and use the brain you were given to decide if something seems silly and make your own determination. There is no role-playing police that will haul you off to jail.

Cymophane: Once again, you're reading them out of context. You're reading a single line of text and ignoring what the rest of the section is talking about. Read the entirity of it. It's telling you that you can put all of the components together to form a single suit of armor, but those items marked with an asterick *can't* be worn together in that way. They are instead treated as seperate pieces of armor.
Cymophane
hey buddy, i already said that it is quite clear that you may wear whatever layers you like, but this rules mechanically prevents the abuse of certain armor combinations which the developers deemed to powerful by saying that itīs effects donīt stack. itīs the same with hardened armor (like a suit w/gelpacks) and normal armor.
Ol' Scratch
No, what you're actually saying (in effect if not intent) is that you can wear the Actioneer's long coat with any other type of armor *EXCEPT* the one type of armor it was *DESIGNED* to be worn with. That's not only blatantly wrong, it's also blatantly illogical and flat-out stupid.
lorthazar
Fails to see the abuse in the above combo. Besides if they wanted it not to stack they would have said "cannot be stacked" not "cannot be worn". But then again I do tend to try logic before knee jerk rules lawyerism.
Cymophane
no doc, as i said long ago i think it canīt be used in conjunction with jackets like even the layering rules in the BBB say.

and i am trying to keep this conversation nice and clean and donīt imply that you or other people using this board are stupid. we may disagree but thatīs not a reason to get personal, ok?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Cymophane @ Nov 15 2004, 08:32 PM)
hey buddy, i already said that it is quite clear that you may wear whatever layers you like, but this rules mechanically prevents the abuse of certain armor combinations which the developers deemed to powerful by saying that itīs effects donīt stack. itīs the same with hardened armor (like a suit w/gelpacks) and normal armor.

WE'VE BEEN SAYING THE EFFECTS DON'T STACK, as far as the special benefits of the Actioneer line.

The special benefit of the Actioneer line is that you can mix and match different pieces without losing half the armor value of any of the pieces. The whole package is treated as a single piece of armor.

The only stated exception is that you cannot get the special benefit of BOTH that suit jacket AND the Long Coat at the same time.

It is fairly obvious that this exception is meant to apply ONLY to the special benefits.

So, without the special benefits, the rules default to the normal effects of layering armor - half the bonus from the next highest piece, rounded down.

You have Rule A - layering armor. You have Special Rule B - Actioneer special layering. Since B is disallowed, the you default to Rule A.

I don't know how much more detailed I can get.

There is no role-playing police that will haul you off to jail.

Well... actually there are, but they're too busy watching the Battletech forums to bother us...
Dr. Black
Beating dead horse.

If I have the full actioneer line (with overcoat) I get 5/3 but it counts as 4/2 for layering. Does that 5/3 now count as 1 piece of armor. Thus I could stack/layer it with FFBA?

Example:

Actioneer w/ Overcoat = 5/3
FFBA3 = 4/1 = +2/0
FA Gaurds = 0/+1

Total 7/4 Armor Rating eek.gif , but only 4/2 for Layering rules???? biggrin.gif

If thats the case then what's the best armor combination a character can get at chargen if he/she has a quickness 9 and doesn't want to suffer any penalties and still look cool???
Ol' Scratch
No, it counts as two pieces of armor. But like FFBA, it doesn't count for purposes of determining your layering penalty. Also, despite Toturi's desire for a literal reading of the rules, there's nothing stopping you from wearing more than two pieces of armor as long as it's reasonable (GM and player call).
Jason Farlander
Is it just me, or are the last three pages of this thread the exact same things being stated over and over with no real end in sight?
Ol' Scratch
It pretty much is.
Chance359
And to think I kept checking all day long to see if it would go anywhere.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Also, despite Toturi's desire for a literal reading of the rules, there's nothing stopping you from wearing more than two pieces of armor as long as it's reasonable (GM and player call).

No, but any pieces of armor beyond the second-best have no effect on your armor rating.

You can, of course, make a house rule to change that, as with any rule you don't like, but it'd still only be a house rule.
Ol' Scratch
And, once again, it's not necessarily a house rule. It's strict reading vs. reading intent. There is no right or wrong in this particular regard, but I'm going to side with common sense. Convince yourself that's what the intent is all you like and run with it in your games if you like... you'll just be the one gaming with a retarded rule that let's you wear an an Armored Vest (2/1) and Form-Fitting Body Armor Shirt (2/0) just fine, but the moment you throw on an overcoat (2/2) the Form-Fitting Body Armor mysteriously loses its ability to protect you in any way whatsoever, but doesn't seem to have any problem hampering your ability to move.

Hell, using that sort of asinine logic, someone only has to shoot threw two walls to kill anyone in a building no matter how deep inside a building they are. For some strange and mysterious reason, all those other walls magically lose their ability to protect him.
John Campbell
And, once again, it's not necessarily a house rule.  It's strict reading vs. reading intent.

Or reading what the book actually says vs. making up some rule you like and insisting that it's what the book intended to say, but somehow mysteriously failed to actually say.

Since I can't read the game designers' minds to determine their intent, I'm going to have to stick with reading what they wrote.

Hell, using that sort of asinine logic, someone only has to shoot threw two walls to kill anyone in a building no matter how deep inside a building they are.  For some strange and mysterious reason, all those other walls magically lose their ability to protect him.

Would you care to point out the rule that describes this effect?
Cymophane
quote doc: "Someone only has to shoot threw two walls to kill anyone in a building no matter how deep inside a building they are. For some strange and mysterious reason, all those other walls magically lose their ability to protect him. "

Thatīs the way we handle it, itīs fun because on wetwork-runs the sniper only has to penetrate the first two walls and if he shoots through a window in the first wall and a open door in the second we choose not to apply the blind fire modificator to hit the unseen target because it only does apply for the first two walls. The only problem is that the weaponīs powerlevel only applies to the first two walls too, so the target is hit with powerlevel 0 but as long as it doesnīt wear hardened armor it still has got to roll its body against TN 2, so with enough successes it will still be dead.
Jason Farlander
Hell, using that sort of asinine logic, someone only has to shoot threw two walls to kill anyone in a building no matter how deep inside a building they are.  For some strange and mysterious reason, all those other walls magically lose their ability to protect him.

QUOTE (Cymophane)
Thatīs the way we handle it

Wow. Is there sarcasm involved here that I'm somehow failing to see? I hope so...
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (John Campbell)
Or reading what the book actually says vs. making up some rule you like and insisting that it's what the book intended to say, but somehow mysteriously failed to actually say.

Since I can't read the game designers' minds to determine their intent, I'm going to have to stick with reading what they wrote.

Feel free to point out the rule that says only two pieces of armor can be worn and have their ratings function together, keeping in mind that the quote about how to calculate the layered armor rating does *NOT* actually say that. Your claim that it does say that holds no more water -- you're just viewing it as a cup half empty vs. my cup half full.

What it does actually say is that you take the highest rating armor and halve the rating of the next highest rating armor, all in the context of talking about wearing only two pieces of armor to begin with. You'll note a complete and total lack of continuation on that where it would, yanno, specifically state that no other armor functioned while worn beyond that point. That's the leap of logic *you* are making, which is why I said neither point of view is right or wrong. And like I said before, I prefer to take the road of common sense that states that it does continue to provide protection.

Would you care to point out the rule that describes this effect?

No, because it doesn't exist (and I never claimed there was a rule like that, only extrapolating from the logic you so desperately want to cling to as being a canonal rule) anymore than the one you think exists. And that's my point. It's equally as stupid.
toturi
Feel free to point out the rule that says only two pieces of armor can be worn and have their ratings function together, keeping in mind that the quote about how to calculate the layered armor rating does *NOT* actually say that. Your claim that it does say that holds no more water -- you're just viewing it as a cup half empty vs. my cup half full.

What it does actually say is that you take the highest rating armor and halve the rating of the next highest rating armor, all in the context of talking about wearing only two pieces of armor to begin with. You'll note a complete and total lack of continuation on that where it would, yanno, specifically state that no other armor functioned while worn beyond that point. That's the leap of logic *you* are making, which is why I said neither point of view is right or wrong. And like I said before, I prefer to take the road of common sense that states that it does continue to provide protection.

The actual rule states (and I've quoted this at the start of this thread)

When wearing more than one layer of armour, add the rating of the highest rated piece to one-half the rating of the next highest piece...

Yes, you can say that "more than one layer" is actually 2, but to me, 3 or 4 is still more than 1 layer. You may wear 10 layers, but only the 2 highest rating will be effective.
Ol' Scratch
I don't see "...and in no way, shape, or form does any other armor count" as part of that rule. That's your assumption. Hence no right or wrong interpretation of it.
toturi
If armour>1,

armour = highest armour + 1/2 next highest armour

I am not assuming anything, the assumption is yours.
Ol' Scratch
Once again, show me where it says it stops there and that no other armor applies. You can't, because there's no such rule. Hence assumption. Argue it all you like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012