Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favorite Weapon Type
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rev
Are you sure? I thought it says in sr3 no silencers or supressors on shotguns.
Austere Emancipator
sr3.277 "Shotguns cannot mount silencers or sound suppressers."

Which is kinda valid for RL as well, since the only thing we've got are sound suppressors.
Fix-it
well... you could. but then it could only fire slugs. and would kinda obviate the point of having a shotgun.
It would also be really long. Raygun's the expert, but i'm guessing a 3/4ths of a meter at least.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Fix-it)
Well... you could. but then it could only fire slugs.

How so? Under canon rules at least, that'd still give you a suppressed firearm doing 10S base damage. For losing a point of concealability I'd say that's a pretty good deal.
Fix-it
I'm talking IRL here. Like I said. silencing it would mean an extremely large silencer, to the point of ridicule.

A pipe at least 6 inches in diameter, 2-3 feet long would be needed (I think). Like carrying around a muffler.
Teulisch
the ensfeild is a VERY nice shotgun. add a rating 4 gas vent, shock pads, and your choice of an underbarrel weight or grip (or just str 6+), and smartlink it.

50 round drum, burst fire bringing it up to 11D. 12D with EX ammo. and no recoil mod with all the extras on it. range of up to 100 meters.

of course, a shotgun that can fire shot insead of slugs will be doing Deadly without bursts. using burst shot on a called shot to the head would be overkill (and probably need to be staged down a LOT).

I do remember johnny memonic. it was a cool movie. focused a bit more on the negative side-effects of cyberware (both wired reflexes and headware memory). the bit with needing a dolphin to decypt the data was bad though, and the AI girl was a bit worse plotwise. the guy with the monowire whip in his finger was cool.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Fix-it)
I'm talking IRL here. Like I said. silencing it would mean an extremely large silencer, to the point of ridicule.

A pipe at least 6 inches in diameter, 2-3 feet long would be needed (I think). Like carrying around a muffler.

Where are you getting this? Even .50 BMG can be suppressed with far less than that.

And, for shotguns, well, have a look. Not exactly 6"x2-3'.
Fix-it
From that site.
With standard supersonic ammo the flight noise of shot is so high, that the suppressed noise is only 5 - 6 dB lower than as unsuppressed

That's nothing. If This is anywhere near accurate, you just added a klunky barrel extension to your shotgun.

Subsonic rounds, sure. but then you lose damage potential.

This is All speculation, but I think my guess at the size of the thing to get any real reductions (down to around 80 decibles maybe?) is partially accurate.

Expirimentation is needed. grinbig.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Fix-it)
From that site.
With standard supersonic ammo the flight noise of shot is so high, that the suppressed noise is only 5 - 6 dB lower than as unsuppressed

That's nothing. If This is anywhere near accurate, you just added a klunky barrel extension to your shotgun.

Subsonic rounds, sure. but then you lose damage potential.

This is All speculation, but I think my guess at the size of the thing to get any real reductions (down to around 80 decibles maybe?) is partially accurate.

Um, that's true of any suppressor on, say, a rifle or most pistols. As shotguns are essentially the ballistic equivallent of very big pistols, they actually lose substantially less terminal potential than a rifle round as they rely less on velocity for damage.

Size, assuming solid design, has little to do with suppression effectiveness; with a good design, making them bigger is really far more an issue of increasing the suppressor's capacity to handle autofire (and thus larger volumes of expelled gases at a time) than the suppressor's sound dampening potential.
Austere Emancipator
Also, based on this thread, you can simply forget about 80dB. Getting to 130dB will take a hell of a lot of work for a shotgun, and 120dB might take a miracle.
Sahandrian
The talk of supressors reminded me of this image, which was posted on these forums quite a while ago...

Silenced Howitzer

...Isn't this the second time I've linked his website?
lorthazar
hey remember this is shadowrun just have a silence or stealth spell put on your shotgun. Works even with gasvent and shot. Worth every bit of karma.
Arethusa
Actually, most people don't allow that and just say it silences the weapon and not the weapon discharging.
Austere Emancipator
The Silence-spell (being AoE) would certainly silence the discharge as well. The projectile would not be silenced once it leaves the radius, though, and would make an extremely loud noise on its own, starting at 1-10 or so meters from the shooter.
lorthazar
Well they must have forgot the caveat that covers all the subject touches. It includes saying that you could knock on a door under Stealth and it would make no noise.

Never known a small arms round to make much of a noise on it's own. After all spells would eliminate the initial discharge and the sonic boom. All that is left is the round coming through the air. Works like a Supressor in my books.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Well they must have forgot the caveat that covers all the subject touches. It includes saying that you could knock on a door under Stealth and it would make no noise.

The propellant gases violently escaping the muzzle of the weapon are no longer touching the gun, that's pretty much the point. That blast of gas is what makes up a very large portion of the noise.

QUOTE (lorthazar)
Never known a small arms round to make much of a noise on it's own. After all spells would eliminate the initial discharge and the sonic boom. All that is left is the round coming through the air. Works like a Supressor in my books.

If the projectile is moving supersonically there is a constant "sonic boom". The Stealth spell might (depending on the GM) silence this inside the barrel (big help indeed...), and the Silence spell would silence it up until the projectile leaves the radius of the spell, but then the pressure barrier formed by a supersonic object would get back to work.

And the whole point was that even if Stealth did work like a sound suppressor does (and I don't think it does), large amounts of powder + large supersonic projectile = lots and lots of noise. Check this out.
Arethusa
QUOTE (lorthazar)

That's not how 'sonic booms' and supersonic flight work.

Just so there's no confusion, there is a somewhat common misconception about the supersonic "boom." In short, there is no single boom. Here's a simple link that explains pressure barriers and fluid mechanics.

[edit]

Here's a simpler link, taken from a link on the aforementioned page.

[edit 2]

And another, in case you just can't get enough of those fluid mechanics and pressure waves. Also very straightforward and it's got pretty pictures.
Raygun
About bullet flight noise: What they said.

About firearm suppression in general.

Shotgun suppressor patent, US6308639.

It's largely an exercise in futility to suppress a shotgun. Because of the multi-part projectiles, noise created by the rather heavy load in flight, and the relatively short range at which shotguns are considered effective as combat weapons, the act of suppressing a shotgun becomes pointless very quickly.

In other words, if you want to be sneaky but you think you may really have to dump a lot of energy into something at relatively short range, a suppressed automatic rifle utilizing a large bore cartridge (.50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, etc...) would be a much easier way to go. Still plenty of flight noise to be made (not a big deal at close range), but much, much easier to suppress. Can be made subsonic too, with some right massive bullets.
Blaze
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
The talk of supressors reminded me of this image, which was posted on these forums quite a while ago...

Silenced Howitzer

*Sprays coffee over colleague*
What's the availability on that?! eek.gif
Anyways, back to topic, Pretty much most of my characters end up with the Rifles skill and a silenced Remington 950 with shock pad. Equipped with a lowlight/thermal scope, it's a great medium-to-long range guard neutraliser. With an internal Smartlink-II and Rangefinder you can put a round between someone's eyes at half a klick with ease. And the base weapon is, as others have said, easy to permit.
For melee I tend towards shock gloves and/or extendable batons. Concealable and effective, and not necessarily lethal- if the target needs to be killed, you can always break their neck after you've beaten them into unconsciousness. The other favourite is the (quasi-legal by SR3 rules) dikoted long fineblade.
One of my GM's NPCs carries a custom nodachi- ceramic, dikoted, with vibration module. Just as well he's cybered from the neck down... cyber.gif

-JH.
Zolhex
QUOTE (iPad @ Dec 16 2004, 01:31 PM)
Sorry E.O.T.L.F. but the whole idea seemed so ridiculas it needed zealous ridicule and makes as much sense as an extendable rifle barrel.

no big I useally type these things up either early morning or late at night so I do post some (ok i'll say it) stupid stuff lol. As you can see I get over it.

hehe extendable rifle barrel sounds cool.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Blaze)
QUOTE (Sahandrian)

Silenced Howitzer

*Sprays coffee over colleague*
What's the availability on that?! eek.gif

It was actually custom built for the German military for use on the firing rage. The noise was bothering the local residents, and the German military responded by building a suppressor on the thing. Not really combat viable hardware.
Austere Emancipator
Thought it would be kinda funny not being able to tell where the howitzer shots are coming from, but still hearing the immensely loud ripping sound of a 30kg piece of metal flying a kilometer above your head.
Arethusa
Yeaheh, funny... I don't know, man. Getting shelled doesn't sound like my idea of a good joke. Getting shelled and not knowing where it's coming from, well...
John Campbell
It's funny as long as you're not the one being shelled.

Remember, if it hurts, and it didn't happen to me, it's funny!
Austere Emancipator
I was thinking more like not being the target of the shells (yet, probably), but knowing for certaint there's some seriously heavy weaponry somewhere rather nearby, but you don't really know where until you get unnecessarily close. I'm still not exactly sure why I thought that'd be funny, though.

Anyway, the roar made by the actual discharge will still be clearly audible a kilometer or several away. In a forest, with lots of background noise.
wargear
I just like the Cybereye Tool Laser.

Though I am also a fan of laser weapons of all types...particularly laser designators...

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012