Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White Wolf and Nancy. A. Collins sue Sony Pictures
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Domino
You have got to be kidding me. Some of the points are ridiculous.

The Ancient History of these ancient races are written in ancient texts. OMG get me Johnny Cochrain.

They both refer to Elderly vampires as Elders. Damn thiefs.

It is just cheap advertisement.
Boondocker
I'm fairly sure hiring lawyers and suing huge corporations isn't cheap, or 'free advertising.' Whether you think the suit is garbage or not, don't be silly enough to think that it's just a publicity stunt for White Wolf. There are cheaper ways to do that sort of thing, ways that don't involve risking looking like an asshole if they lose the suit.
Arcanum V
QUOTE (Boondocker)
There are cheaper ways to do that sort of thing, ways that don't involve risking looking like an asshole if they lose the suit.

Like making up a parody website to stir up pre-release publicity for Demon: The Fallen?
Senor 187
Don't let Raccoon Avatar see that!
Raccoon Avatar
QUOTE (Senor 187)
Don't let Raccoon Avatar see that!

Too late...
Boondocker
Sure, AV, like that.
Icepick
Having read the book, and being the obscenely obsessive compulsive WW fan that I am, I have read the entirety, and quite a few of the listed numbers are complete and total BS, being totally generic, while others refer to a large number of "coinicidences" between individual characters.
Atrox
Once the number of "coincidences" passes a certain threshold, I find it difficult to believe they're really coincidental. But then I've been accused of being paranoid.
Johnny the Bull
QUOTE (Miststlkr)
I've never read through a lawsuit, but I work for a roofing company and I've read through the paperwork for foreclosures on a few of our customers' houses that we get notified about. It's the same way, they take half of the "book" worth of paper jus to make sure everyone knows exactly where the property is, what it's boundaries are, etc. And they can never say "Mr. X", they say "Mr. X, any spouse, descendant, business, contractor, unnamed heirs or other unknown or unnamed entities whom may have claim upon said property" every single time they would normally just say the owner's name.. it gets rather tedious. I bet if you could get something in legalese in a .doc file and do a search/replace and replace all that BS with plain english they would be half as long...

Hence the push to train lawyers to write and speak in plain english. At the moment, I am doing an assignment where I have to assess the damages of a plaintiff from a non-feasance suit. They mark the first 2000 words. Anything else is not marked.

... 5 years ago, the limit was 5000 words, with 20% leeway.

Things are changing very quickly.
Miststlkr
wee!! LOL, i read through another on Friday and they literally took an entire paragraph every time they would have said the defendant's name in the foreclosure. it's downright insane. with computers these days they can just use a search/replace to write it but that doesn't help us read them any unless we get a softcopy of it to go along with the novel to reverse the process nyahnyah.gif maybe i can invest in a good scanner that will scan to .txt wink.gif

for those who don't have a job that "lets" them read such fun stuff, there's usually a section in the classifides for "Legals" that are very short versions, but you'll still get an idea of what he/we are talking about nyahnyah.gif
Mongoose
QUOTE (Ancient History)
about the same as Wizkids suing the guys that make the Matrix movies

AFAIK, FASA got payed by the Cohen Bros for the rights to use a story (and related concepts) that appeared in the book "Virtual Realities". Now, what the terms there were (like maybe FASA was entitled to royalties, and the Cohens claim they changed it so much as to not use the original material) I don't know. Point is, the Matrix creators didn't just straight up lift an entire setting and character set with zero acknoleldgement; they paid the original sources, and then made very signifigant changes.
Demosthenes
IIRC, the Wachowski brothers directed the Matrix, not the Coen brothers...
Atrox
QUOTE (Demosthenes)

According to Amazon.com, you do remember correctly.
Talia Invierno
If I'm giving an orange to a friend, I'd say "I'm giving you this orange."

A lawyer giving an orange to a friend might say:

"Know all men by these presents that I hereby give, grant, bargain, sell, release, convey, transfer, and quitclaim all my right, title, interest, benefit, and use whatever in, of, and concerning this chattel, otherwise known as an orange, or citrus orantium, together with all the appurtenances thereto of skin, pulp, pip, rind, seeds, and juice, to have and to hold the said orange together with its skin, pulp, pip, rind, seeds, and juice, for his own use and behoof, to himself and his heirs in fee simple forever, free from all liens, encumbrances, easements, limitations, restraints, or conditions whatsoever, any and all prior deeds, transfers or other documents whatsoever, now or anywhere made to the contrary notwithstanding, with full power to bite, cut, suck, or otherwise eat the said orange or to give away the same with or without its skin, pulp, pip, rind, seeds, or juice."
Miststlkr
rotfl.gif LMFAO!

sad... but true nyahnyah.gif
Miststlkr
ooops, double posted somehow.. no way to delete posts? frown.gif sorry
Arcanum V
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Sep 15 2003, 02:31 PM)
If I'm giving an orange to a friend, I'd say "I'm giving you this orange."

A lawyer giving an orange to a friend might say:

"Know all men by these presents that I hereby give, grant, bargain, sell, release, convey, transfer, and quitclaim all my right, title, interest, benefit, and use whatever in, of, and concerning this chattel, otherwise known as an orange, or citrus orantium, [. . .]

Unfortunately, the typo in citrus aurantium leaves this contract in a legal limbo, since the property in question has been improperly identified. It'll be tied up in the courts for years as it gets sorted out. Also, the joke in question appears on several other webpages, so your generous offer of an orange has now turned into a suit for copyright infringement. frown.gif
Boondocker

Oh my gawd, I would kill to see a Matrix movie done by the Coen brothers... that would be pure gold. biggrin.gif
Fygg Nuuton
i walked into my local comic store one night after a movie to see whats new. and theres a bunch of fruity lookin goths talkin funny and just... well, being fruity goths. anyway, long story short, its some kind of white wolf larp, i had to get out of there for my sanity. they were just talking in character, no action no nothing. it hurts to recollect

point: theres nothing worse than fruity goths roleplaying whiney, angsty immortal fruity goths.

reminds me of the old "goth talk" SNL sketches
Adam
*gasp!*

Not roleplayers roleplaying! We're dooommmeeeedddd! wink.gif
Shadow
You know theres is a lot of questionable things, but theres a lot of them. I think the most powerful evidence they have is the relationship the to characters have in common. They do seem very similar. Also the story seems to be the same. Is that an infringment? I don't know. It's why we have legale-speak.

Personally I think WW has a valid argument, even if it's untrue, they almost had to seek legale action. Think of it this way, if Underworld is successful, WW will never be able to make a movie because it's already been done. It's to unique of an idea to have to many movies come out about it.
Fygg Nuuton
"i'm azreal of the abyss, lord of darkness. i'm sad because i had to work a double shift at cinnabon!"
Hot Wheels
I think it's a good point that WW could be doing this to establish a tradition of defending the image.

Fygg, you should have just treated them like they were normal- don't bat an eye. They probably wanted some shock value, you should have just ignored it.
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Arcanum V)
Also, the joke in question appears on several other webpages, so your generous offer of an orange has now turned into a suit for copyright infringement.  frown.gif

Absolutely! and oh so appropriate for a thread about originality and copyright infringement. (I have no talent for satire. Irony, very occasionally. Parables and parallels, rarely.) Who was it who first came up with that piece anyway? I have no clue.

The general concepts behind werewolves, vampires, lawyers etc. etc. are much older than White Wolf, certainly older than Buffy/Angel (where the influence is also very visible). Specifics of society, approach to spirituality, and terminology may not be. Typoed specifics - well, if some versions of the script happen to contain parallel unusual spellings which happen to duplicate the attempted Latin from another site, it might be a good guess that the piece might perhaps not be original.
Atrox
Such as WW's spelling of Jyhad, or their take on Gehenna as an event rather than a place of torment, perhaps?
Talia Invierno
Exactly biggrin.gif

If it's in the film - I didn't catch it in the previously listed points - that's what's probably straight theft, if anything is. ("Probably", because anything could conceivably be coincidence ... even the extremely improbable. Hence the frequently used "reasonable doubt" phrase.)
Hot Wheels
First one to post on the film having seen it- woo-hoo!

The film was ok, basically my memory of it is dark and noisy. Vamps and Werewolves basically go at each other with guns. Guys will drool over the lead character running around in latex. All I could think of her after a while was "chaffe city."

I won't give away anything but the plot is propperly twisted, it is NOT a big romeo julliet line and I think the law suit is dead in the water. You see very little of humans apart from the opening bit and virtually nothing of the "special powers" of vamps. Apart from acrobatics like "Crouching Tiger'" leaping over things they seem just like humans with attitude, more bored yuppies than princes of the night.
Adam
Underworld blew absolute complete chunks. Sam and myself nearly walked out, it was that bad. The setting was half-baked, the characters flat, the script nasty, the action forgettable, the effects tolerable, the acting terrible. It was some 14 year old's first Vampire: the Masquerade game gone bad, with a budget and corsets.

And yet, as we walked out, eagerly ripping the movie to pieces, someone ahead of us said to a friend: "That movie was so scary! It's the best movie I've ever seen!"
Hot Wheels
Just wait for the sequel.
Adam
I am shivering with giddy anticipation!

Or the office is just a little cooler than usual today.
Siege
I didn't think it was quite that bad -- not incredible, but still amusing enough.

And yeah, the whole latex thing just looks silly. Maybe with a tad more contour.

Is it just me, or did the 'wolves seem completely inable to hit the vamp assault squad in the last sequence?

I will point out that given the tiny budget they had to work with (relatively), it wasn't half bad.

-Siege
Jetmaster
QUOTE (otomik)
sure white wolf contributed to the vampire mythos but now it looks like they want to claim the whole damn thing. Blade stole a lot of ideas from white wolf too, get over it. all contributions to the vampire mythos should be filed under the same public domain bram stoker's are.
(Snip)

Hate to say it, but blade was around before white wolf's founders got out of kindergarden. (ok, maybe not, but still.)
Blade movie? Ok, whatever, But Blade's story is Marvel Inc. and they were around inking stories about worlds like that for a while before they got into the superhero biz. Same with Dark Horse comics and just about anyone you'd care to name has had their fingers in the little pie called 'gothic/cyberpunk' Sure, there may be elements of one, and not the other, but the fact remains that its still there.

I'd like to see white wolf try and take on William Gibson, because he 'created a gothic/cyberpunkesque' world in Neuromancer. and burning chrome. and others.
Seems that White Wolf's trying to get a bigger piece of the pie, and they dont know how big a bite they can take.
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (Adam)
I am shivering with giddy anticipation!

Or the office is just a little cooler than usual today.

Then turn up the heat. They are saying the film took in $22 Million and this is more than the film took to make- so they are showing a profit, looks like they will make another- God forbid Hollyweird will pass at the chance to create a franchise they can run into the ground.
Siege
I certainly don't object if they have a bigger budget and don't absolutely mangle what passes for a story line.

It was a neat fluff piece for goth kids to visualize vampire games and the like.

-Siege
Snow_Fox
I liked it, but it wasn't great. What was missing from this that was done better in even Blade 2 was the sense of other. THe only ones who gave you a sense they were more than human were this really big black guy werewolf from the opening shoot out- very big very nasty, Victor when he's pissed and weirdly enough, the little blond harpy. Other than that it could be a shadowrun as much as a fight between occult baddies.

I think the law suit is toast.
Siege
I actually liked it better than Blade 2 -- for as much money as they did spend on the special effects, the camera work for the gun fights was just _bad_.

Granted, the fight sequences weren't much better.

-Siege
DR.PaiN
Ugh, Underworld. It seemed like it was longer than Bad Boys II, and they didn't even invade Cuba.
Fygg Nuuton
ok, now i like leather/vynle/latex WHATEVER (catwoman was my first love) but JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST she owned nothing else, wheteher killing werewolves, drinving around shooting or cooking jiffypop thats all she wore.

if she wore a hockey jersey i would be happy.

now that is sexy
Hot Wheels
I think that's her combat suit (and a bit more functional than the little red number in "Resident Evil."). At several points for the party/reception she's told to change and at one point the little blond harpy brings a dress into her. I don't think it was so much tight budget or poor writing but they were actually making a statement here. She walks among the glittering party in their fine gowns and she's dressed like death/street sam/punk.
smilbandit
QUOTE (Hot Wheels)
They are saying the film took in $22 Million and this is more than the film took to make- so they are showing a profit.

No movie ever makes much of a profit. If it did then the execs might have to pay out to the people who have a % share in the profits, and we all know from our experience in shadowrun that no corp wants to share.
Adam
p... p... punk?
Ancient History
Down boy.
Hot Wheels
The whole black laytex look in a formal dinner party.

You'd wear soemthing like that not for a "Black tie" affair, but a "black tie down" affair.
Ancient History
Stop. You're reminding me of an old Madonna music rotfl.gif video.
Adam
Still failing to see how it's punk. Rebellious, yes. Punk, no. smile.gif

[BTW, correct spelling is 'latex', although 'laytex' is an amusing play on words...]
Siege
Well, she's supposed to be a "soldier" with the other deathdealers. Which explains why she's constantly in near-combat kit, I suppose.

And the fumbling affections of Kraven? would keep her out of anything vaguely approaching "non-kit", although I think she did wear a non-leather/laytex top at some point while looking up the archives.

-Siege
Hot Wheels
I said "punk" as attitude, not fashion.
Kraven tells her the whole soldier thing is getting old when he wants her to get dressed.
Adam
She walks among the glittering party in their fine gowns and she's dressed like death/street sam/punk.
[emphasis mine]
I said "punk" as attitude, not fashion.

smile.gif

I don't disagree that she's got a bit of a rebellious streak, but I don't think typical punk ethics or style is brought into the film at all.
Ancient History
Would "Militant Goth" perhaps catch the correct mood?
Hot Wheels
I meant that she was striking out from the culture around her, effectively giving them the finger instead of following their accords.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012