Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Deaths
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
lopus
A few years ago, I was playing with a bunch of pretty good players ... unfortunately the GM knew how big our egos were.

There were about 8 PCs (Tripplet Sammy/Riggers, a PhysAd, an initiate group of 4 Shamans, and a decker) that were hired to break into an Aztechnology Research Center. We did our homework, figured out the guard shifts, checked the schematics, found out that they used Plasteel 7 for their basement walls (the kind you can turn to bubblegum with a solvent.

So we sneak in through the sewers, go through the wall, and enter the building's drainpipes. The floor is of course full of liquids and other stuff and the GM casually mentions that the large main pipe is made of some sort of metal. We arrive at the end which is sealed by a metal cover. We try for a quiet solution (well at least we thought it would be quiet) of bypassing the maglock ... except there wasn't any.

Then a brilliant alternate plan made by a couple of the mages (without consulting the rest of us) Lightning Bolt the damned COPPER door open.

Can anyone say fried runners???
Foreigner
(lopus)

lopus:

You'd think that at least one member of the group would have known that (A) copper is the best conductor of electricity known to man (or at least the best cheap one; gold, silver, and platinum are also good, but are too expensive to use except in very small quantities--for example, the electrical connectors used in automotive airbag circuits are 24-Karat gold plated); or

(B) that a sewer, unless it is very well-ventilated, will likely contain large quantities of highly-flammable (not to mention explosive) methane gas.

In other words, small wonder that they got cooked.

--Foreigner
Nikoli
Cooked nothing, they were steamed, fried and charred in one fell swoop.

PBTHHHHT
Geez, I hope the sewer rats like their runners served up well done.

Hmmm... a small acetylene blow torch and/or small electric saw, for cutting past bars/doors shall be added into my usual character gear now on.
Nikoli
Thermite bars also work nicely and underwater
kevyn668
QUOTE (lopus)
A few years ago, I was playing with a bunch of pretty good players ... unfortunately the GM knew how big our egos were.

There were about 8 PCs (Tripplet Sammy/Riggers, a PhysAd, an initiate group of 4 Shamans, and a decker) that were hired to break into an Aztechnology Research Center. We did our homework, figured out the guard shifts, checked the schematics, found out that they used Plasteel 7 for their basement walls (the kind you can turn to bubblegum with a solvent.

So we sneak in through the sewers, go through the wall, and enter the building's drainpipes. The floor is of course full of liquids and other stuff and the GM casually mentions that the large main pipe is made of some sort of metal. We arrive at the end which is sealed by a metal cover. We try for a quiet solution (well at least we thought it would be quiet) of bypassing the maglock ... except there wasn't any.

Then a brilliant alternate plan made by a couple of the mages (without consulting the rest of us) Lightning Bolt the damned COPPER door open.

DNA/DOA?
WalkTheDarkness
I got one for you. I'm a new GM starting out, and it had taken me 3 weeks to get all my PC's set up and ready to go. So the into to the system I used was Food Fight out of the First Run Source book. Even screwing up a bunch of modifiers and things along those lines, the 7 PC's made short work of the Chiller Thrillers, with their leader unconscious on the floor. The only problem is, 2 of my PC's decided to wake him up and question him before they searched them. Unfortunately, they didnt' see him draw his pistol, and if I wouldn't have added a few modifiers to his rolls, he would have shot them both in the chest for deadly damage after the battle was over. Hopefully, they'll know better next time. Don't turn your back on a guy who just tried to kill you, especially if your new to the shaodws.
lopus
Kevyn668 [DNA/DOA?]

Nope, GM home-brew.

Foreigner [You'd think that at least one member of the group would have known that (A) copper is the best conductor of electricity known to man (or at least the best cheap one; gold, silver, and platinum are also good, but are too expensive to use except in very small quantities--for example, the electrical connectors used in automotive airbag circuits are 24-Karat gold plated); or

(B) that a sewer, unless it is very well-ventilated, will likely contain large quantities of highly-flammable (not to mention explosive) methane gas.]

Yeah, we knew that, the GM even specifically stated about the smell + the copper in the tube + the knee high liquid (another very good conductor). The thing was both wizzers totally forgot the description ... or didn't think about it. These are very experienced players (1st Ed AD&D mostly though) so I don't know why they did it. Needless to say, we now always carry hacksaws on a run.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (lopus)

"A bolt of lightning through a giant copper conductor? I thought you people lived in a school!"
Taran
Ok, I've got one. This is from a Technomancer game; urban fantasy but very much unlike Shadowrun in tone.

The PCs are tracking an Atomic Lich (power equivalent to a medium-strong SR dragon). They've clashed with it once, it has far more magic than it should, and now it wants to kill them. They know where its base is, so they divert it with rumors of their presence in a different city and break in.

They get past all the traps and guardians, finally reaching a vast circular chamber with dozens of heads lining the walls, linked up by mana conduits to an evil-altar looking thing in the center of the room. The heads continuously scream with agony. Most of the party is all for destroying it. The Technomage has a different idea.

Technomage: "Don't you get it? The heads are still alive! The lich so strong because he's been doing ritual magic with them. If you put me into it, I can take it over and use it against him!"

The rest of the party talked it over, and concluded that it couldn't hurt. The "us" was left politely unsaid. They decapitated the technomage and used a necromantic ritual they'd found elsewhere in the complex to attach him to one of the unused sections of the wall.

Me: You become magically aware of the other heads in the artifact. Then you feel Zadkiel (the lich) peering into your mind. You feel that he has learned where you are, and is now preparing a necromantic spell of some kind.
Technomage (mouthing the words to his party members): Get...the...fuck...out...

Lots of escaping later, the atomic lich learned some new spells from the desiccated husk that was once the technomage's soul. The rest of the team returned their fee and fled the country.
Panzergeist
Oh god, that one takes the cake. "Wait guys, I got a great idea. Cut my head off and glue it to that wall!"
Jrayjoker
That reminds me of a Rolemaster character a friend had. We couldn't hit the big baddie, so he said, stab me and I'll swap places with him (magical teleport of some kind). The sword will be in his gut and you can eviscerate him then. I guess he wasn't counting on a critical success from the stabber....one dead psionicist later...
Spider
Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new around here, so i'm getting familliar with the forum(I've been playing shadowrun for years).

The stupidest death i dealt in my game was on a character whose street name was Chapel. He was "inspired"(too much) on the character from the Spawn comic book.

Anyway.

That badass character always want to kill every single opponent, he could never back up and make is point in always carrying at lest half a dozen grenades and some guns. He specifically told me(after i suggest him that is belt couldn't carry 6 nades + some pistols and other drek) that 4 grenades found home on his chest. On days he got involved in a serious firefight(he pissed a group of runner off quite well) while he was strapped alone in his car.

You can imagine the scene. One burst just hit one of his nade(yes i was mad at him) and he went boom. Just to make shure i made all 4 nades explode (go ahead pal, soak 10S 4 times) and if you do i'll apply the "explosion in a tight space rule" and you get to roll your stamina all night! He just went boom

That remember me of that moment when my player group decide to use underbarrel grenade laucher without the skill after throwing lot of smoke and other stuff in an alley. The two stupidest players ended up blowing one another across the smoke( the two where standing at a seperate alley end) and the scatter roll did the dirty job for me.

Well...

Fortune
QUOTE (Spider)
You can imagine the scene. One burst just hit one of his nade(yes i was mad at him) and he went boom. Just to make shure i made all 4 nades explode (go ahead pal, soak 10S 4 times) and if you do i'll apply the "explosion in a tight space rule" and you get to roll your stamina all night! He just went boom

In what way was the player (or character) stupid? Seems more like GM fiat to me. Any GM can kill any character at any time, without resorting to cheesy, assinine methods.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Spider @ Jan 27 2005, 03:53 PM)

In what way was the player (or character) stupid? Seems more like GM fiat to me. Any GM can kill any character at any time, without resorting to cheesy, assinine methods.

I'll second that. Not really a stupid death so much as a stupid game.
iPad
Harsh man. Not even a hand of god saved him......
Spider
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 27 2005, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (Spider @ Jan 27 2005, 03:53 PM)

I'll second that. Not really a stupid death so much as a stupid game.

You know, the rest of the group that wasn't in the car and wasn't pissing everyone off on the streets survived that encounter. Even the player that was victim off the explosion understood that he just had done too much (and i allowed him a L-O-T-S of chance to get out of trouble before in the chronicle) and he had to be more carefull with explosive. Most of the time you get shot on the chest, not a good place to carry TNT, C-4 charges or other bulldrek. That was the stupidest death but i don't think you can judge all the chronicle(or the game) by one simple encounter that turn bad for one player.

Anyway...

That character was exactly the type of Sammy that hate the Decker of the group "Because he's not doing the same job and taking that much risk", he was always trying to cut down the payment of the Decker. We argue a million time over the risk and the usefullness of matrix run and he was hard-headed on that point. He's gone now(he decide to retire and the rest of the group did go on).

-SPider
Tarantula
You know, if you shoot C4, all you get is C4 with either a hole in it, or a bullet in it. It doesn't go off. The same is true for almost any explosive. Grenades in SR are also electronically primed, so shooting them wouldn't make them go off, just not be able to be armed.
Tanka
Spider, I just think you didn't handle the character well.

As a GM, you have final say on all characters. So, when you see that he's all about killing stuff, you hand it back to him with a big "X" on it. Then tell him why.

Or, get him caught by Lone Star whilst walking down the street wearing all that ordinance.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Oh god, that one takes the cake. "Wait guys, I got a great idea. Cut my head off and glue it to that wall!"

Absolutely. I was seriously laughing at that story and moreover, your synopsis statement. rotfl.gif
Arethusa
Tarantula and tanka pretty much have it: it isn't that the character didn't necessarily need to go one way or another, but that was a ridiculous way to deal with it. If the character's out of line, speak with the player. If that doesn't work, you have bigger problems with your game. But killing the character with an absurd ruling isn't a stupid way to go; it's a stupid way to handle a problem. Worse, it doesn't even make any sense; a grenade that gets shot is at worst a disabled grenade. C4 that gets shot is C4 with a hole through it. Shadowrun's hardly the most realistic representation of small arms and small unit tactics ever devised, but that's no reason to drag in extra insanity for the purpose of vindictively offing a character when far better methods for dealing with the problem were readily available.
DarkShade
oh one instance springs to mind.
dark conspiracy campaign, SR2 rules.
the physad is being attacked by 2 droids, humanoid-lookalike skin. in a small dark room.

party mage <in the street outside the room> weighs the odds, decides small room, relies on chunky salsa effect and chucks a STUN grenade in the room..

I still remember the face of the adept as he sees the mage player declare his action.. `you are going to do *WHAT* ? `and the mages reaction.. dont worry it will hurt them more than it hurts you..

the grenade, of course, doesnt harm the droids at all & leaves the physad fighting the same droids, just now he is at 9 boxes stun.. smile.gif
<back then I saw the humor in it all and reminded the physad player that luckily for him the droids didnt do stun damage since they were both using blades.. smile.gif>

DS
SirKodiak
back then I saw the humor in it all and reminded the physad player that luckily for him the droids didnt do stun damage since they were both using blades..

"Look on the bright side, they're trying to kill you."
Panzergeist
Oh, here's one I heard about from a friend but wasn't in on myself. A character in the group had a pain editor, which he kept on constantly. Never took it off, except occasionaly just to check if he was wounded. So during a run he gets shot with an arrow. No biggie, he can see that the wound is a small one, and the mage heals most of it. So after the run, they all disperse and go home. The character doesn't bother to check his wounds by turning off the pain editor. He dies in his sleep from the poison that was coating the arrowhead.
Starfurie
QUOTE (Panzergeist)

That's up there with The Head of Vecna.
Panzergeist
Wow, that one really does take the cake. I bet team one never let team two live it down.
FrostyNSO
The Team:

Ivan - Ex-Russian Spec Ops, certified Surgeon
Ramsey - Ninja Bounty Hunter
Torch - Fire Mage, questionable sanity, minor diety
Nathan - Ex Kamikazi Addict, supposed Bodyguard of Ivan
Ichi - Blind Swordsman
Cobra - Combat dude first character, no gunnery skill

The Plan:

Drive a pickup bearing the team and a mounted .50 cal, pull up fast, and stop short of the entrance to a tent-city style, temporary medical clinic in Chicago. Overpower the guards, storm the place and take control before the guards can react, extract an unwilling cyberneticist, egress without firing a shot.

How It Went Down:

As the pickup screams towards the clinic, Ivan fails his crash test. Instead of stopping short and allowing the team to hop out, the pickup jumps the curb, hitting both guards out in front of the clinic at waist level. The pickup plows into the canvas and scaffording, sending surgical tools, doctors, and patients flying. The truck is surrounded in canvas, and without supports, it falls upon the team's heads.
Everybody hops out. Struggling to find their way through the canvas, both Ivan and Nathan trip, hopelessly lost in the canvas. On the other side of the truck, Ramsey, Torch and Ichi (amazingly) make their way through and untangle themselves from the rubble. Ramsey spots the cyberneticist. Holding up empty hands, he shouts
"Stop! We're here to help!"
Holding up SMG's, the guards open fire. Luckily, Ramsey narrowly avoids the gunfire. Ichi stands unphased. Torch soaks their measily bullets. All the while, Cobra sits atop the pickup, surrounded in canvas. His only friend: The .50 cal he leans upon.
Hearing gunfire, and fearing the worst for his team, Ivan shouts the order to Cobra in his thickest russian accent.
"Cut her loose!"
To Ramsey and Ichi's horror, the roar of the .50 caliber machinegun screams loud above the din of the trashed clinic from behind them. Torch isn't worried: Cobra couldn't possibly be shooting in their direction. Cobra indiscriminantly sprays his deadly payload in a barrage of suppressive fire throughout the clinic. Narrowly avoiding the first barrage, Ramsey shouts to Cobra, who naturally, doesn't hear a word he says:
"Cease fire! Cease fire!" As the guards, doctors, patients, and the target get mowed down by the vicious salvo, Cobra continues. Ichi stands tall, confused by the carnage, and manages to avoid all gunfire. Ramsey takes 2 .50's in the chest, dropping him instantly. Torch gets his head taken off. Ivan and Nathan, saved by their ineptitude, lie safely on the ground.
Finally, Cobra runs out of ammo. Ivan grabs the cyberneticist. Nathan Grabs Ramsey, and Cobra grabs Torch. The clicnic, is dead silent. Not a soul but themselves has survived.
The team takes stock of what they have gained and lost, and decides it would be best to leave. As the pickup drives away, Cobra decides he would like to keep the .50 cal. Attempting to remove the gun from it's mount, Ichi figures out what he's trying to do. Not wanting to see such a weapon fall permanantly into the hands of such a dangerous individual, the Blind Swordsman grabs Nathan's pistol, and points it at Cobra's head.
"Leave the gun or I'll blow your frickin' head off!"
Nathan, thouroghly surprised, leaps up and steps between the two.
"Hey hey hey! We've killed eachother enough today, just let him take the -"
<BLAM!>
Nathan takes a slug to the face, dropping him like a hot pile of crap. Ichi:
"I told you to leave the godamnned gun." Ichi sits down, satisfied. Cobra quietly dismounts the gun. Ivan continues driving, BTO's "Taking Care of Business" blaring throughout the pickup's cab.
DocMortand
... wow.

Here's my own stupid death.

The group - a couple troll sammies, me (fox shaman), a stealthy idiot nicknamed "Captain Ebola" and a couple other worthies I don't remember.

The run - simple. Capture a cyberzombie and it's handler. Doesn't matter WHOSE cyberzombie...just capture one.

We get in fine, blow up a few things in a corp compound to attract the cyberzombie, which was the "guard". The cyberzombie doesn't come out, so we get impatient and go in after it.

We get to a room that's small (maybe 7-8 m wide) and my character is freaking out over all the bad mojo going around (dark astral spots, etc.). The cyberzombie is off in the room, then it turns on. The two trolls rumble forward and are thrown to either side in the room. I panic, and decide to uncork my main combat spell - Stunball. I figure it should drop like a rock at Deadly... So I fire it at the zombie, who was heading for the door.

Now do the math - cyberzombie is 3m away, radius of Stunball Deadly is 6m, target is cyberzombie.

In a cataclysmic blast I knock myself, the two trolls and the rest of my party insensible, and do jack to the cyberzombie. We wake up in a holding cell for the mega corp (I think it was Novatech, actually...even better) and we're told that they have installed crainal bombs. I decide - ya know, this isn't worth it, and try to cast a spell...and my head goes *splick*.

Eh...definately not one of my proudest moments.
Slait
I was reminded of a run I went on that turned horribly, horribly bad, I was playing for the first time in a few years, a trog with ceramic bone lacing and red skin, the other pcs were 2 phys ads, and a street sam (the first char for the person in question)

We are hired to intercept a pickup from a supply base in Egypt, and bring it back to Seattle, and are given the use of a plane. We do recon on the buildings, find they're impenetrable, so decide to take the shipment as it moves, the problem being, we don't know when it moves.

The first physad gets the smart idea of going into the compound, to hide in the shipment, so we know when its coming out, he's quickly caught, and detained.

The second adept wondering what has happened to the first, also decides to enter the base, and is quickly killed, as they now have been alerted to a run against the,.
The first phys addy is killed as well because he attempts an escape, and fails miserably at it.

Me and the Street Sam being the only ones left, I get the smart idea, to go rescue our friends, from the military compound. To do this, I load a truck full of C4, and drive at it as fast as I can, hoping the bluff will pay off, the Street Sam sticks back at our hq.

My bluff is called, I end up having to fight a squad of heavily armoured guards, and decide to frag it, and just take them all down with me, so I detonate the C4.

One survivor, the street sam, playing her first game, and the only one smart enough not to willingly tangle with military forces in foreign countries....
kevyn668
Frosty, that story rocked! rotfl.gif

I gotta ask, were you GMing or playing?
FrostyNSO
devil.gif I'm Ivan.
Panzergeist
That one is almost as good as the Head of whatshisface.
Grinder
Trying to pick up a grenade to throw it back. If you're failing you're in the center of the explosion. Guess three or four characters of the same player died that way....
Demosthenes
The scene:

A small underground car park.

The characters - A street mage, a cat shaman, and a street samurai.
The opposition - A group of none-too bright Yakuza.

We are ambushed as they enter the carpark, and try to duck for cover. Unfortunately, the only "hard" cover available is a motorcycle. This was the first time we'd ever been on the receiving end of a nasty surprise in SR combat (a looooong time ago it was too, back when I actually got to play. I'm not bitter.), and we kind of over-estimated the amount of threat the enemy represented. I say "We", I mean the street-sam.

He had been carrying a couple of kilos of C-12 around all day for no good reason, and saw this as a perfect opportunity to employ it as a grenade (it is worth noting that this character completely lacked anything approaching a throwing skill).
He sets the timer on the explosives, throws the brick of C12 at the Yaks, and rolls (defaulting to quickness). One check of the scatter diagram later, and the street-sam's improvised grenade-o'-doom is lying on the ground rather less than a metre in front of us...

Amazingly, we didn't die in the explosion. Unfortunately, neither did the Yakuza, who took cover behind a car...

[ Spoiler ]
Club
QUOTE (Grinder)
Trying to pick up a grenade to throw it back. If you're failing you're in the center of the explosion. Guess three or four characters of the same player died that way....

Get the PC a golf club or hockey stick for his birthday.
fistandantilus4.0
I saw a PC go out trying to "bat" back a grenade with his ak-47. Well... the GM had read somewhere that there are types of grenades that go off on impact. Guy ended up looking like Wiley Coyote.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Club)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 2 2005, 07:42 AM)

Get the PC a golf club or hockey stick for his birthday.

Casey Jones strikes again!
Grinder
I thought the player learned out of experience. But no chance, as it seems. His chars all want to kick or throw back grenades. Our actual GM started using grenades who explode on impact. Up to now, the player hadn't lost another character, so it seems to work. biggrin.gif

James McMurray
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I saw a PC go out trying to "bat" back a grenade with his ak-47. Well... the GM had read somewhere that there are types of grenades that go off on impact. Guy ended up looking like Wiley Coyote.

If the grenade went off on impact wouldn't it have gone off when it landed after being thrown?
Demosthenes
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Feb 2 2005, 11:09 PM)

If the grenade went off on impact wouldn't it have gone off when it landed after being thrown?

I think he was trying to 'bat' it in mid-air, so 'impact' would have been when he hit it. wobble.gif
Tarantula
I dunnno, I've though of making a hockey adept. Rollerskates, hockey stick, non-aerodynamic grenades he slapshots at people.
Fortune
Well then he would have been toast anyway when it landed.
Demosthenes
Well... the GM had read somewhere that there are types of grenades that go off on impact.

That sounds like a GM deciding to make the grenade impact-fused after the PC decided to take a swing at it...

Oh well, live and learn. Or not, as the case may be. Ain't Darwin great? cyber.gif
mfb
the funniest character death i've seen happened long enough ago that i don't remember the character's name. he was at a meet with some other runners, waiting for the Johnson, and got up in the face of the street sam for some reason or another.

"i'm the best there is at what i do," the nameless character informs the sam. the sam guts him, then takes the keys to the guy's Westwind. the other runners, as well as the Johnson (who'd shown up by then) all shrug, move to another location, and continue the meet.
Foreigner
QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 3 2005, 10:55 AM)
"i'm the best there is at what i do," the nameless character informs the sam. the sam guts him, then takes the keys to the guy's Westwind. the other runners, as well as the Johnson (who'd shown up by then) all shrug, move to another location, and continue the meet.

Hmm.

Sounds like someone has a comic-book hobby as bad as, or worse than, mine.

Interesting question, though:

What would've happened if Wolverine had shown up and wanted to have a nice, quiet little chat with this guy for plagiarizing his material? biggrin.gif

[Hey, it could happen. After all, James "Logan" Howlett is roughly 150 years old now--he was born around 1850, according to MARVEL MAX's "ORIGIN" limited series--but doesn't look a day over 30. Who's to say that he won't still be alive in 50 to 60 years? (Especially since he's been clinically dead on at least three occasions that I am personally aware of, and his body repaired the damage.) ]

--Foreigner
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
the funniest character death i've seen happened long enough ago that i don't remember the character's name. he was at a meet with some other runners, waiting for the Johnson, and got up in the face of the street sam for some reason or another.

I wonder who the street sam was....
ShadowDragon8685
Best. Thread. EVAR.

Please don't let it die.
Bastard
Ok...I wont

I think I already posted about the Dragon Slayer and Tomo, so here is another

This is more of Player Stupid Death and not Character Stupid Death

The Story of Josh's Tiger(we cant remember its name frown.gif )
After raiding a small corp, they found some important persons home addy in the computer data base and decided to pay a visit at four in the morning. Three entered and one stayed guard. Well somehow the team managed to alert one of the neighbors (they werent too stealthy getting in), so they called the police.

Since the team took so long getting in, as well as out, the patrol car was passing as they were leaving. This time they passed a stealth test to stay out of view, but one character decided to take a pop shot at the police (due to a flaw, so it wasnt really out of nowhere). Here erupts a fire fight and a second near by unit arrives as backup. The shapeshifter tiger adept who was guarding, hid behind a car on the opposite side of the street. Somehow he become unconcious, but he never made a move on the cops that they knew of.

The rest of the team fled and the police gave chase, but luckily they got a way. Well since the police never saw the tiger, he was still hiding behind a car, so there he lay. No one looked for him not even his team.

The run wasnt over, but we called it a night and would pick up the next week, to finish. Unfortunately the next weekend, the player couldnt find his character sheet for the shapeshifter. To this day (about eight years later) it still hasnt turned up, even in the old first edition book we still have. So in game, the character drowned in a rainy Tacoma gutter, in less than three inches of water, while his friends ran away and went to Denny's.
ShadowDragon8685
Haaaa-hah! That's a good incentive not to be criminally irresponsible with your Csheet. smile.gif
kelvingreen
Okay, I'm owning up to my own embarrassing failure here although there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

1) our group was very new to gaming in general and Shadowrun specifically at the time.
2) as such, we were good players, and we didn't read the GM's sourcebooks between missions.
3) I don't know to this day whether the character in question actually died...

In the previous mission, my street sammy got munched and was laid up recovering, so I was using my backup, a burned-out mage straight from the GM's screen handbook (told you we were new to the game!). We were tasked to investigate an isolated compound run by a mysterious organisation, but it turned out to be a doublecross, as the organisation was legit, a sort of social group for magicians.

At this point, experienced players and GMs might be getting mental images of an out of control train...

In a later mission, my mage got mashed by something or other (most likely a failed Drain test), and because we were on the run and/or poor, we couldn't afford treatment for him. Not to worry though, as the group remembered this social organisation for mages, and called them up. They were more than eager to help a fellow mage in need and took my character in for treatment.

The GM ruled that it would take a while for the character to heal, but that my sammy was back in action, and I could finish up the mission with him. He also took my mage's character sheet.

(We were new to gaming. We didn't know then that this was pretty high on the list of "suspicious GM behaviour".)

My sammy didn't get munched again, and I pretty much forgot about my mage. I asked about him a couple of times, and our GM said that we was working on a plot to bring the character back in style. Since I was happy with my sammy, I didn't press the point.

Time moved on. There were more runs. There were more characters. There were different games. Eventually our GM went off to university and I got picked to take his spot. I requested some time to prepare and spent a few months buying and borrowing sourcebooks in order to put a campaign together.

One day, the fate of my mage was revealed in a sourcebook I vaguely remembered my GM having in his "GM only" pile:

Universal Brotherhood.

We willingly gave my character to the UB for medical treatment. wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012