Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Deaths
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Trax
Good news! C12 now comes in the form of a supository.
warrior_allanon
alright, no one died in this one, but the other phys ad in the team ended up with a phobia because of it.

Harlequin run to get the manuscript of Ehran the Scribe from the office building.

We slip the team in the parking garage in a stolen cleaning van. team enters the building and decides that we are going to clear it bottom to top so that we have plenty of time to find the manuscript. We find the generator room, the furnace and the stairs, theres just one room we cant seem to open quite yet. Mage decides that hes going to go astral and stick his head through the wall to see whats in there. This happens just as the tech wiz gets the door unlocked. The room happened to be the kennel for the Barghests that they used as guard dogs. Barghests as everyone should remember are dual natured so they see the mage and start howling, the other phys ad massively fails his willpower check. I open the door and put a pair of DMSO/Narcojet splash grenades into the room and shut up the hounds but not before the other phys ad ends up in the far corner of the room in a fetal position rocking back and forth going "no more dogs mommy, no more dogs."

afterwards we threatened the mage, got the phys ad up and semi-operational, and went on to find the manuscript and make our getaway without setting off any alarms
DocMortand
Heh, I pulled that sorta thing on my runners once - they had to get some info from a building and elected to come at it from underneath through the sewers. They popped a hatch, and came up...facing a caged Cerebrus Hound. As the hyperventilating stopped, they noticed it was asleep. vegm.gif

They had had an encounter with it earlier in the mission and they had put it to sleep, IIRC.

The other funny pet story earned a phobia - A runner didn't like the way a curious cat was stalking them, so in mid run he whirled, picked it up and threw it at a razorwire fence. In RL we all asked "WHY??" He answered "I didn't like it."

I rolled quickness, and it managed to twist out of the way of the razor wire...and then proceeded to make the char's life miserable (it was an awakened variant called an Accident Cat which has the accident power) - Accident every pass. Considering the amount of electrified cream pies that were flying at the time...(Scatterbrains had been hired by the Johnson to cause a distraction with their truck mounted pie catapult)
SL James
I would have used a Talis cat myself.
warrior_allanon
alright folks, this is in response from some talk in the MR Darke question thread.

Cross Tech captured my team as we were doing some personal wetwork on an Ares hitter and gave us an "Escape from LA" offer, but still was going to pay us. the job was to go up to the Ares orbital to steal some pay data and prototypes. Initial collateral damage: one aging shuttle. we dropped from the shuttle in EV suits that were preprogramed to take us to the station (no piloting test) and used the shuttle as a distraction as we went in to the station on a ballistic trajectory. we get into the station and while were traversing from picking up the prototype samples up the center section of the station to the control room where we would get the pay data and escape we got pinned down by a security team with tasers. Now, i'm playing an elf phys adept with a very high pistols skill, so i trade my stun baton with the troll for his taser and have the troll toss me "up" the shaft where i nail the entire security team with the tasers. i then drop the tasers on their tethers and grab the conveyer belt that is the main trainsport for the length of the station to slow myself so i dont carreen into the far bulkhead. going through the far bulkhead gets the troll a gyro-rocket to the chest but leaves two dead people in the control room, we get the pay data and punch out all the stations escape pods after starting the self destruct. decent landing (ie, we didnt hit as planned but did walk away from it) and that was the GM's final game. also note that the GM was actually trying to kill our characters because it was the end of his game and for the new GM we were gonna be building whole new characters
DocMortand
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
alright folks, this is in response from some talk in the MR Darke question thread.

Cross Tech captured my team as we were doing some personal wetwork on an Ares hitter and gave us an "Escape from LA" offer, but still was going to pay us. the job was to go up to the Ares orbital to steal some pay data and prototypes. Initial collateral damage: one aging shuttle. we dropped from the shuttle in EV suits that were preprogramed to take us to the station (no piloting test) and used the shuttle as a distraction as we went in to the station on a ballistic trajectory. we get into the station and while were traversing from picking up the prototype samples up the center section of the station to the control room where we would get the pay data and escape we got pinned down by a security team with tasers. Now, i'm playing an elf phys adept with a very high pistols skill, so i trade my stun baton with the troll for his taser and have the troll toss me "up" the shaft where i nail the entire security team with the tasers. i then drop the tasers on their tethers and grab the conveyer belt that is the main trainsport for the length of the station to slow myself so i dont carreen into the far bulkhead. going through the far bulkhead gets the troll a gyro-rocket to the chest but leaves two dead people in the control room, we get the pay data and punch out all the stations escape pods after starting the self destruct. decent landing (ie, we didnt hit as planned but did walk away from it) and that was the GM's final game. also note that the GM was actually trying to kill our characters because it was the end of his game and for the new GM we were gonna be building whole new characters

Hmm...dunno, that doesn't sound like a stupid death to me, more like amazing luck and a fun game. *shrug*

Let's get back to the stupid deaths or at least stupid PC actions that result in hilarity and/or dismemberment!
brohopcp
First game I ever played and the first game for many of the other PC's. I played an ugly as hell, female, bat shapeshifter (don't ask me why, but it was fun). I never told anyone in game of my shifterness.

Our group was supposed to get into the sewers and we found a good access point near our targeted location. Only 1 problem, the area was surrounded by a tall chain-link fence. After using the usual tricks to determine if it was electrified, we found it was not. Trying to be useful I snap out my mono-whip and take a swipe at the fence.

*4 dice used = 0 successes*

The whip slashes right through my armor and gashes my flesh and organs in multiple locations. I fall to the ground, screaming in agony.

Quickly enough, the wounds knit closed and the pain fades away. I stand up, tattered and bloody, mumbling cuss words about my stupid whip. Everyone is staring at me, wondering what the heck just happened and how the hell I healed that quickly. The big slimy orc finally asks the question and I quickly respond, protecting my identity. "Oh yeah, it's some new experimental bioware that heals me." At which point, we move on as another character pulls out wire clippers and makes a nice quiet entrance through the fence.
Bastard
Our team took two vehicles and tried to scam our way across the CFS boarder (fake IDs). The first vehicle passed no problem, but the second they took everyone in for questioning while they searched the vehicle. Unfortunately they found our panther cannon.

The other team flipped a bitch and came to the rescue! Hooray!

We had a physad that could use mist form, so he got in and out of all the rooms quite easily, and got us out. Outside we had a bear shapeshifter plus others, but he went berserk and was killing everyone.

After breaking out, we found our vehicles damaged by gunfire and bear attacks (oops!), so we stole a van that was there. Since everyone was left dead or unconscious we had the time to grab all our gear and stash it in the getaway vehicle.

Well apparently we didnt make a clean getaway, because shortly we had highway patrol on our ass. Well someone has the great idea to tape a smoke grenade (yes we had a few rolls of duct tape) to the sideview mirrors to create a smoke screen behind us (after all the roads were windy). Well that was working, but we got too much help when one of the guys, who thought he could do the same out the side window, but due to the rule of 1's, failed miserably.

So now the smoke grenade is inside (and do to scatter, rolled toward the front) and the van fills up with smoke, making it difficult to drive. We happen to find a large redwood down the enbankment, but this one we werent supposed to drive through.

Fortunately, we got away, cause the chase had crashed also.
SL James
Oh, man. That's awesome.

brohopcp: Dude, wow. Nice save.
Drace
Newest deaths all in 2 runs,the first 3 in the first and the last in the second, and it marked the end of the campaign;

First death-
Me:There's a grenade coming your way
Sammie one: I take my katana and hit it back
Me:Are you serious?
Sammie:Of course I am.
Me:You got to be kidding me.....Fine.

Grenade was a HE and set to go off on impact, end of Runner

Second Death-
The second sammie on the team walks down a hallway, and stops right infront of a monowire set at neck length. He steps under it, and when he gets to the end of the hallway opens the door into a room with two barghests. He runs backwards past the rest of the team, down the hallway....

Third Death-
On the escape, the troll adept stops and takes out a chunk of c-12, and puts a detonator in it. The following conversation discussing his application;
Adept:I take the c-12, put the detonator in it, and set it off, and then throw it
Me: Is that the exact order you want to do it in?
Adept: Yes, put in detonator, and the set it off, then throw it.
Me:And the target is what?
Adept: The garage door.
Me: Fine

The adept blows the door, before the team gets out the garage, killing himself, and another runner, aswell as an npc. The two surviving runners make it out, and finish the runs.

Fourth Death (same players as Death One, but new Sam)-
Me:A bullet comes and hits the ground a few inches from you, shortly followed by a quiet, yet rumbling retort.
Sammie:I try to tell where the bullet is coming from.
Me:Is that all you do???
Sammie:Yes
Me:You got to be the most retarded runner ever.
Sammie: No, it genius, cause then I could plan an escape and kill the sniper.
Me:okay, so you to try to get the location of the sniper, your image link gets trace of where it is, plus a nice pic of the bullet going through your left eye, followed by your fraction of a micro-second death.
Sammie:How the hell did that happen???

Needless to say, he isnt playing SR with us in our new campaing I hope.
Oracle
Have you been the GM?
Drace
ya, and it was the saddest time of my life.

Generally with my main gaming group, I am the gm, or dm if its D&D, because generally I'm the one with the biggest imagination, the one with all the rules for everything figured out etc.

But with the group I used to run with every 2 weeks until recently, we rotated every 2 months, but kept the same chars with each gm.
SL James
QUOTE (Drace)
Second Death-
The second sammie on the team walks down a hallway, and stops right infront of a monowire set at neck length. He steps under it, and when he gets to the end of the hallway opens the door into a room with two barghests. He runs backwards past the rest of the team, down the hallway....

My favorite.

Good time, man. Good times.
Oracle
First death: Well, possibly not the brightest idea. But standard SR grenades do not detonate on impact. So striking or throwing them back isn't bad as such, enough agility or reaction or whatever provided. In fact it is standard behaviour for many runners. Possibly you have been a bit hard when killing him for that.

Second Death: Unlucky SC. I normally do not use monowire in hallways, because it is just too possible for employees of the corp to accidentally run into one.

Third Death: Possibly he just wanted to tell you that he somehow activated the detonator? And you just misunderstood each other? That wouldn't have been his fault then...

Fourth Death: Trying to locate the sniper is not stupid. He exactly told you what he wanted to do. Access the situation. I would have asked him if he realized that he will put himself under fire by doing so.

All of these four cases leave the impression, that you like killing PCs, especially case three, where you killed 2 characters with one of them having nothing to do with the situation. My group would have retired me as a GM for such a run.
Drace
The first death was actualy more flukey, cause I had noted down on paper that it was set for impact, not timed (my main group does that)

the second death, true

the third, Ya, there was a communication mistake, but we cleared it up, and then he said that he blew the c-12, and the other players agreed that was what happened.

the fourth, finding the location of a sniper isn't stupid, but not taking cover, and trying to find out while staying in the same place and looking around is.

And actually, I've only had 9 pcs die in the last 3 years of me gming, which is lower than many people I have played with.
brohopcp
The second death was the funniest and most mistake oriented. A smart runner would have removed the monowire to sell on the black market. It's like liquid gold in monofilament string form smile.gif
Wiz In Red
Orc Ganger PC: Nice Mullet
Human Gun Bunny w/ Mullet: F*ck you. *shoots Orc point blank range with Salvette Guardian loaded with XX*
Rest of Party:...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Drace)

First death-
Me:There's a grenade coming your way
Sammie one: I take my katana and hit it back
Me:Are you serious?
Sammie:Of course I am.
Me:You got to be kidding me.....Fine.

This sounds like a trick Tomoe would actually be able to pull off as long as the grenade did not have the impact detonator.

Quickness 10 (augmented)
Str 10 (augmented)

Athletics 6 (Spc. sport - Baseball: Eight)

Weapon skill: Clubs 6 (Spc. Baseball Bat: Eight)

Equipment: Easton Titanium Line - Hit Master 4000 bat (w/Dikote)

Armoured Jacket (3), Guards (1). Ceramic Bone Lace (2), Orthoskin 2 (2) , Batting Helmet (2). total impact = 10 (just in case it did have the trigger).
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Wiz In Red)
Orc Ganger PC: Nice Mullet
Human Gun Bunny w/ Mullet: F*ck you. *shoots Orc point blank range with Salvette Guardian loaded with XX*
Rest of Party:...

LOL!!! rotfl.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Oracle)
First death: Well, possibly not the brightest idea. But standard SR grenades do not detonate on impact. So striking or throwing them back isn't bad as such, enough agility or reaction or whatever provided. In fact it is standard behaviour for many runners. Possibly you have been a bit hard when killing him for that.

Second Death: Unlucky SC. I normally do not use monowire in hallways, because it is just too possible for employees of the corp to accidentally run into one.

Third Death: Possibly he just wanted to tell you that he somehow activated the detonator? And you just misunderstood each other? That wouldn't have been his fault then...

Fourth Death: Trying to locate the sniper is not stupid. He exactly told you what he wanted to do. Access the situation. I would have asked him if he realized that he will put himself under fire by doing so.

All of these four cases leave the impression, that you like killing PCs, especially case three, where you killed 2 characters with one of them having nothing to do with the situation. My group would have retired me as a GM for such a run.

Hey Oracle, I would like one of your analyses of our group's sole contribution to this thread: Found second post of page 6.

...if you please?
BetaFlame
My first Shadowrun game. And I wasn't the stupid one. The two year vet was.

Characters:
Male Hobgoblin PhysAd (don't remember name, he ran away after all this, convinced the world was out to get him (Paranoid 4 point Flaw)
Male Dwarf Decker (FlappyJack)
Female Human Street Sam
Male Human Sniper (with the mute Flaw)
Male Troll Street Sam.

We just finished a run. We stole a computer programmer from CATCo that specialized in semi-autonomus knowbots. The female SS and the male sniper got spotted somehow, dispite the females attempts NOT to get spotted.

The male sniper gets connacted to knock off the female SS. He accepted the job, AND take a "special cell phone" from the Johnson since he is "mute and won't beable to let him know when the job is done."

So he takes out the SS. Who is also our social specalist character. And the one with all the good contacts (I had the Hung out to Dry Flaw). One shot kills her. He goes back to his warehouse and uses the phone the Johnson gave him to call. He never even checked it for traps, even after the GM told him too because of his Common Sense edge ("The Johnson seemed slimey.. are you sure you don't want to check out that phone?" "Nope, he wouldn't cross me, don't they know who I am?!?!?!?!") The phone is rigged with C12, and the "Talk" button is the detenator.

Boom.

The sniper had a Bod of 3.
PBTHHHHT
Oh my gosh, well, that's one less runner out of the shadows. Geez, willing to cap a teammate AND ignore the common sense. Was this player wanting a new character or something?
ShadowDragon8685
Actually, the player was a perrinial dickhead. (I talked to Beta after I saw his post.) Apparently, all of his subsequent characters got stupid, and most if not all of them got promptly capped by the rest of the team. However, as he was the DM's roommate, it was impossible to just eject him.
SL James
QUOTE (BetaFlame @ Dec 13 2005, 08:44 PM)
The phone is rigged with C12, and the "Talk" button is the detenator.

The Johnson was Israeli?
Liper
my favorite was a friend wiring some demolitions ( I was running the game ) okay jg roll your demolitions skill.

he grins and picks up a single die....

Taran
This happened eight or nine years ago, but as near as I can remember, the exchange went like this:

Me: The shaft extends downward thirty or forty feet. Near the bottom, you see another of those monospiders, apparently floating in mid-air.
A: They're the ones with webs a molecule thick, right?
Me: Yeah. The last time you touched one it cut your finger right to the...
A: I jump down the shaft, stabbing as I fall!

Give him credit, he killed the monospider.
ShadowDragon8685
A spider... That spun monowire?! And he KILLED it?!

x.x OMFG moron! That's like shooting the goose that lays orichilum eggs with a Panther AC.
Taran
Well, in fairness, it was a GURPS game in a fantasy world, so monowire didn't have the same cachet. Also, they were magical constructs and probably untamable anyhow, not that I'd thought about it at all at the time.
DocMortand
Actually this isn't a death, but it's just funny.

We had badminton grenades last session. Running an old Missions run to Fort Ross in Alaska, there was a running battle between the mundane guards and the trapped runners. The latter was launching IPE offensive grenades without airtimes, and getting lucky in where they were landing.

Until the grenades got tossed back at them.

I (the GM) managed to get lucky enough to toss back some 7-8 grenades, but funny enough the runners tossed back at ME some 2-3 of them. So they launch, I pick up and heave down the cooridor, they pick it up and heave it back...

It got ridiculous after a while, and eventually the runners ran out of grenades. biggrin.gif
warrior_allanon
oooh we played hand grenade hot potato in DNA/DOA, were heading into section A and had gotten trapped in the supply closet of all places. My character tosses the grenade out, and the security guards in the area had all delayed their actions, so they proceed to take turns throwing it back in every time one of us would toss it back out. Last PC throws it out and two security guards go for it and fumble their throw roll. the scatter tosses it right back where i had orriginally thrown it where it explodes taking out all the security guards except the mage who was only their astrally. the running joke since then is that no one gets to "throw" grenades until we all have sufficient skill in tennis or badmitton
tisoz
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Dec 13 2005, 05:49 AM)

Hey Oracle, I would like one of your analyses of our group's sole contribution to this thread: Found second post of page 6.

...if you please?

Maybe if it grows to 6 pages; I'm only on page 4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012