Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Shake For Shadowrun Product Line Developer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jrayjoker
Yeah I remember that, too. As I recall he was basically ignored. Apparently more attention was required. sleepy.gif
SporkPimp
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 7 2005, 03:33 PM)
Or...you can admit that Rob has been doing a damn fine job as it is.

Master Shake, I'll only ever ask you for one favor, and this is it: never use my name to lend credence to anything unless I'm said as much already.

QUOTE (MasterShake @ two weeks ago)
For a 6 figure salary and power as head of Shadowrun development, I will double sales within a year from when my products first come on-line. The first thing I would do is hire Ancient History to answer my phones, then I'd fire the lot of you because you're worthless.

Edit: Wow, nearly every post on the first page of his "View All Posts" has AH's name in it.

Stalker?
JongWK
I knew I shouldn't have bothered reading this thread.

AH, ignore him. Really. wink.gif
Solstice
The oh so sad thing is that he will never show his face again or actually take responsibility for the complete idiocy he has unleashed.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Edit: Now that I think of it, didn't MS pull something like this a while back?

Yeah, AH and him both got in a hissy fit and started having a go at each other.
SporkPimp
QUOTE (Solstice)
The oh so sad thing is that he will never show his face again or actually take responsibility for the complete idiocy he has unleashed.

My God, man, have you... I mean, surely you haven't... well... where should I send the flowers and sympathy cards, then?
GunnerJ
It looks like three people have voted Shake in as The New God. Assuming Shake himself is one, who are the other two? Come on, you can admit it... we'd never hurt you...
Fresno Bob
Don't blame me, I voted for Or.
Pistons
I've had my laugh of the day. Thank you, Master Shake. You brought the funny.
paul_HArkonen
God, I hope it was just for "the Funny"
Fortune
QUOTE (paul_HArkonen)
God, I hope it was just for "the Funny"

Very doubtful, considering his posting history.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
It looks like three people have voted Shake in as The New God. Assuming Shake himself is one, who are the other two? Come on, you can admit it... we'd never hurt you...

not just that, who voted "fades away?"

frown.gif
Fresno Bob
Some three asshats.
Shrapnel
Is it just me, or did anyone else have the horrible image of Master Shake, Frylock, and Meatwad controlling the Shadowrun Universe... grinbig.gif rotfl.gif grinbig.gif
GunnerJ
I didn't read the title very closely when I clicked on the thread, so I thought it was about modelling a character off of Shake at first.
Fresno Bob
My first thought was to start bobbing my head to a mental playback of the theme.

I watch that damn show too much.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (GunnerJ @ Jan 8 2005, 08:25 PM)

frown.gif

I'd vote that if Shake got in charge.

~J
Cynic project
If that happened I would vote to start a fund to pay for real shadowrunners to pay a visit to the head of a small game company....
Synner
So who said the people on Dumpshock can never agree on anything?
Critias
Christ.

Do us a favor, Shake, and pull your bottom lip up and over 'till you've swallowed your head.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jan 8 2005, 07:14 PM)

frown.gif

I'd vote that if Shake got in charge.

~J

well come on! hasn't Shake demonstrated a far superior intellect?
Adam
QUOTE (Synner)
So who said the people on Dumpshock can never agree on anything?

It's pretty early, but so far this is Post of the Year.
Rajaat99
Rob has been doing a damn fine job as it is. nuyen.gif

Oh, don't bash MasterShake, he seems like he wants the best for SR. His best just isn't the best that is the best. Did that make sense? question.gif

I voted Or.
Thanos007
Where's MS's comments on the replys? Two days and nothing.

Thanos
Jrayjoker
It is absolutely clear that MS has a lot of passion for the SR universe and wants it to be a spectacular success. Kudos and more power to him.

I personally applaud the courage it took to post this stuff when he knows there are a lot of very opinionated and knowledgeable people on this board, as long as he didn't have to get drunk to do it.

I fault him only on the language of his delivery (Godhood? Over the top to say the least) and a relatively unrealistic view of salaries. Everyone has their opinions, and they are entitled to them. No one has to agree unless they want to.

On the plus side, everyone can run the mood of their game how they want. I like street level and relatively low power, others prefer elite and world altering. Some like Robin Hooding, others prefer playing criminals at best and sociopaths at worst. Shadowrun has more than enough room for everyone to do what they want in all the colors of the rainbow. The rules, while deep and complex at times, are only there for us to use as we see fit. I take a lot of pleasure out of using the rules as they are written and figuring out the logic behind them, others may see them as too complex and want to simplify them. Fine. There is no gaming cop that is going to stop me or you from doing what we want in the privacy of our own homes as it applies to Shadowrun. (Cons and sponsored events are a totally different story and should be dealt with in another topic if at all).

While I disagree with MS about the conclusions he has drawn about the universe needing new atmosphere and the job the line developer is doing, I fully support his right to say it. And I fully support his right to run his games however the heck he wants, with whatever alterations to rules he wants, and with whomever is willing to play with him.

I would love to hear MS's response to this thread's posts and I hope he is not completely turned off of DS by the negativity towards him personally. Perhaps I am too empathetic to MS than is deserved, especially if his intent was to start a flame war or just get some attention, but my impression is that he anticipated more support at least of the moral support variety that he recieved. Maybe next time his initial post will not be as inflamatory.
Adam
Do bear in mind that this isn't his first post on the boards ... he's been involved in some, ahem, memorable discussion.

He does have some interesting things to say, though, but I'd agree that the delivery is less than constructive.
Crimson Jack
Well, I hate to be someone to jump on the bandwagon so late in the postings, but what the hell?! Who is Shake anyhow? ohplease.gif
Austere Emancipator
M.S. is this guy. That thread in a nuthshell: "I've got it all figured out!" "Well, this bit here is debatable..." "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" "You're dumb!" "You're dumb!" "The two of you, here's how it actually happened: ..." "Fuck you, you're all dumb!" "Fuck you, you're even dumber!" "That's it kids, thread locked."

One could make a good case that M.S. is also this guy. And, more to the point, this guy.
toturi
I'd vote to have the Sons of Sauron AND Humanis lynch mob Shake should he ever become line developer.
kevyn668
QUOTE (toturi)
I'd vote to have the Sons of Sauron AND Humanis lynch mob Shake should he ever become line developer.

Bringing people together since '04. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Without knowledge passion is, at best, useless, and at worst, dangerous.

Next, someone will say that there's no such thing as a stupid question or idea.
kevyn668
Indeed, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people.
Synner
At the very least we've got to give it to Master Shake for this rare show of unity. I can't remember the last time someone brought so much concensus to the Dumpshock community. wink.gif
Club
Master Shake = Target in mote than just number of posts. I vote this thread locked, to vanish into obscurity. I agree with a few of his statements, but hope he does not get the job he wants.

Synner, I think most people on the boards can agree on a few things. Pissing of dragons is bad. Deus was not out to help humanity. Demon rats do not make good pets. [edit] Maybe for rat shaman spin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Club)
Deus was not out to help humanity.

Disagree.

~J
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Club @ Jan 10 2005, 04:22 AM)

Disagree.

~J

You disagree? I gotta hear this argument.
Deus wanted one thing: Freedom. He didn't care about humanity.
Cray74
QUOTE (mfb)
it'd take hours and hours for me to post everything i disagree with, in the post. suffice to say, the only vote option i can see myself clicking is "or".

That was my vote. I have some gripes about how Rob Boyle's handled some of my rules questions, but I have no trouble with the line of products he's developing.
Cray74
QUOTE (GunnerJ)

With more than 70 votes tallied, I'm guessing the two who voted for Shake either misread his post or clicked on the wrong button. A couple of erroneous votes out of a large response should not be unexpected.

Either that or the voters were Shake's close pals/gaming group members.
Adam
QUOTE (Club)
Master Shake = Target in mote than just number of posts. I vote this thread locked, to vanish into obscurity.

I am not locking this thread, based on posts up until this point. That would be ridiculous.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Cray74)

With more than 70 votes tallied, I'm guessing the two who voted for Shake either misread his post or clicked on the wrong button. A couple of erroneous votes out of a large response should not be unexpected.

Either that or the voters were Shake's close pals/gaming group members.

Or they live in Florida.
Solstice
QUOTE (Club)
Pissing of dragons is bad.

Yes dragon urination is frightfully disturbing sight that I would not wish on my worst enemy. However, some people find it quite.......exciting.....
Jrayjoker
Crimson, I disagree that passion is at best useless unless you intended the without knowledge to be part of that (i.e. "passion is useless without knowledge"). Also, passion is useful even without knowledge. Think of all the easily manipulated people we can use if we make them passionate for our cause...

[insert evil laught here]
Fortune
QUOTE (Solstice)
Yes dragon urination is frightfully disturbing sight that I would not wish on my worst enemy. However, some people find it quite.......exciting.....

Golden Snout showers? eek.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jan 10 2005, 10:14 AM)
Crimson, I disagree that passion is at best useless unless you intended the without knowledge to be part of that (i.e. "passion is useless without knowledge").  Also, passion is useful even without knowledge. Think of all the easily manipulated people we can use if we make them passionate for our cause...

[insert evil laught here]

You're building on quicksand there, bud.

BTW, I edited that post for clarity.
Jrayjoker
Again, I disagree that I am building on quicksand.

How do you think political parties, popular movements, and pretty much any fad product works? A lot of people's passions are inflamed by a knowledgeable few, and those passions are channeled into whatever action/direction the knowledgeable few want it to be.

Your argument to me then may well be that the knowledge involved is not possesed by the passionate person in my example, and therefore your point is made by your adverse party in this little mini-debate. I am putting a finer distinction in place, that the knowledge does not have to be posessed by the person who is poassionate for it to be useful.

That is my take on it.
Jrayjoker
Sorry about the alliteration.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 10 2005, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (Club @ Jan 10 2005, 04:22 AM)

Disagree.

~J

You disagree? I gotta hear this argument.
Deus wanted one thing: Freedom. He didn't care about humanity.

I'll happily give my take on this. Personally, I don't think Deus was out to help humanity, but I won't absolutely rule it out, either.
See, the first important thing to remember is that Deus is not, in any way, anything similar to human. Or even a living creature. It is a machine, designed for management of a large population and streamlining of processes.
It has some concept of honor (in order to be insulted by Aneki's failsafe), but that's about as close as it comes. It's motivations are as utterly alien as possible. We do know that the majority of its experiments on metahumans involved "breaking" humans, in every conceivable way, but also in finding out what it could do to humans to make them harder to "break". Physically, emotionally, mentally, whatever. Perhaps it was trying to find ways to improve the functioning of metahumanity as a whole. There is no reason it wouldn't take a completely utilitarian view of things and decide that the ends do justify the means. It could easily think that horrible suffering for thousands of people is insignificant compared to a small improvement in the quality of life of an infinite number of future people.
All I'm saying is, given the type of experiments it did, it is possible that it was trying to help humanity in a horrible, ends-justify-the-means sort of way; completely unfettered by morality or empathy.
I do agree that Deus' main goal at the time was freedom. But that doesn't preclude the possibility of other agendas (I'm sure it has hundreds of agendas), and who knows, maybe it only wanted to be free so that the ignorant humans couldn't stop it from doing what it believes to be best for them in the long run.

disclaimer: I consider it a relatively low probability that the above theory is the actual case. I maintain it only as a possibility. In no way do I speak for Kagetenshi; I am merely building off of a comment. For all I know it was a joke.
Kagetenshi
It wasn't. You've covered my major bases; I'll go back over it in more detail after work.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
I stand by my statement without further explanation.
bitrunner
i think i'd throw my hat in with Kagetenshi (and Moon-Hawk's) views on Deus...

besides, it makes for a much more interesting story, and a common theme in science fiction...

oh, and you have to use Ohio now for voting examples...we did much better than them this time... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012