Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun PDFs on DriveThru
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
the_dunner
www.ironwindmetals.com are the manufacturers of the Shadowrun minis line. Hit their web site for pix of everything, along with a downloadable PDF.
Bigity
Question about those minis: Are they actual new minis, or just casts of the old FASA ones?

Are new minis being molded?
U_Fester
also Stiggy Baby's has them under Ral Patha and about 25% off of what Ironwinds does. They also have older ones that Ironwinds does not have... and vice versa for the newer items.
Kagetenshi
Edit: I already asked this, never mind.

~J the forgetful
Eismann
Moin

Just a little question: Is the conversion of Bug City to a PDF-e-book planned in the nearer future?
Adam
Yes.
Eismann
Great. Any idea when it's available?
Adam
You said it - in the "near future".

wink.gif

I hope within a week.
mfb
how fast a turnaround is there, from the time you send the finalized pdf out to the time it's "published" and available for sale?
tisoz
It sounded like about a day, from the way the first half dozen went.
Adam
QUOTE (mfb)
how fast a turnaround is there, from the time you send the finalized pdf out to the time it's "published" and available for sale?

Typically, if we upload it to DTRPG during the morning on a business day, it will be onine before the end of the working day.
mattness pl
Are there any differences between pdfs from drivethru and Battlecorps?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mattness pl)
Are there any differences between pdfs from drivethru and Battlecorps?

The pdfs you get from DriveThru are digitally watermarked with your name, the pdfs from Battlecorps aren't.
RobertB
First, I'd like to give a big "thank you" to Adam, Rob, and the rest of the Fanpro staff who made these .pdf files possible. I purchased the SR3 main rule book from the Battlecorps site, and it's great.

If I may make a suggestion, during the creation of bookmarks in the .pdf file, could you use the "Inherit Zoom" selection for the "Zoom" setting? As a publisher of .pdf files myself, I've learned that customers prefer to control how they view a .pdf file. Especially if they have a small monitor or older equipment. The current setting is "Fit Page" for each bookmark. This means that even if I change the zoom to view the file, if I click another bookmark it displays in "Fit Page" view, and I have to change it once again.

Just a minor issue. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. Thanks for all the great work on making these files available.

Robert
Kagetenshi
Just wanted to mention that as of right now all nine non-free PDFs are in the top 20 at DTRPG.

It looks like everyone involved is going to be pleased with the outcome of this smile.gif

~J
Jrayjoker
Very cool. Now I just need to get congressional approval (ask the wife) for a one-time, non-emergency allocation of funds....
U_Fester
What is about the average size of the files. I ask this because not only do I have the wonderful dail-up, but at the blazing speeds of 28.8K.
Kagetenshi
The largest is SR3 at 13.4 megs. Matrix is 6.4, SSG is 4.8, and the average size of all books I have currently (all available but RA:S and the character dossier) is about 4.7 megs.

To be fair, Critters and the GM's Screen are both tiny.

~J
Pthgar
By the way, the Loose Alliances page is up on srrpg.com

Here
U_Fester
Kagetenshi,

Thanks for the info. That is reasonable for my conectio. SR3 should only take an hour and the rest 20 to 30 minutes. I do appreciate it. wink.gif
Adam
If I may make a suggestion, during the creation of bookmarks in the .pdf file, could you use the "Inherit Zoom" selection for the "Zoom" setting?

That makes good sense. I just messed around with the one of the files, and I'm not seeing a good way to change all the existing bookmarks to Inherit Zoom: is there a way to make that the default setting for any newly created bookmark? [Acrobat 6 Pro on OSX, here.]
Westiex
Would it be possible for someone to post a screen capture of what the watermark through drive thru looks like before I go ahead and buy the books?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Westiex)
Would it be possible for someone to post a screen capture of what the watermark through drive thru looks like before I go ahead and buy the books?

It literally is a 12-point font gray colored watermark of your name and the order number printed on the very bottom lefthand corner of the page. It is barely noticable, and doesn't overlay any important text.
Adam
QUOTE (Westiex)

Download one of the free Shadowrun titles from DriveThru -- this will show you exactly what one looks like.
U_Fester
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Westiex @ Feb 14 2005, 04:58 PM)

Download one of the free Shadowrun titles from DriveThru -- this will show you exactly what one looks like.

Now that's kool.
RobertB
QUOTE (Adam)
That makes good sense. I just messed around with the one of the files, and I'm not seeing a good way to change all the existing bookmarks to Inherit Zoom: is there a way to make that the default setting for any newly created bookmark? [Acrobat 6 Pro on OSX, here.]

I use Acrobat 6 Pro as well, but on a Windows machine. As far as my research in the help and in the online Adobe forums, there is no batch process for converting all the bookmarks at one time. They have to each be changed in the .pdf manually. BIG SUCK. I have used a tool called Compose from Infodata in the past that could change all the bookmarks in a document at one time, but it cost in the hundreds of dollars, and I haven't used it in a few years.

As an aside, we use both Frame and Word here at work, and when I convert my documents to .pdf (either using the Word PDF conversion macro, or printing Frame files to the Adobe PDF printer), my bookmarks are automatically set to "Inherit Zoom." I've looked all over for a setting in Distiller or the printer properties, but couldn't find one. Strange.

I'll keep at this one for a little bit since I like a technical challenge, but for now I don't think there's a solution unless the Mac has a setting that controls the default settings for bookmarks.

Robert
Kagetenshi
How exactly does this "Inherit Zoom" work? From your initial description it seems to be doing that already for me, though that could just be Preview.app being helpful.

~J
RobertB
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 15 2005, 09:56 AM)
How exactly does this "Inherit Zoom" work? From your initial description it seems to be doing that already for me, though that could just be Preview.app being helpful.

~J

Inherit zoom means that if you set the zoom on the file to say 400 percent, Adobe Reader keeps the zoom at 400 percent when you click on a new bookmark in the pane on the left. The SR3 main rulebook doesn't do that. When you click on a bookmark, the zoom always switches to "Fit Page" which can make the text too small to read on smaller monitors.

I don't know what Preview.app is so I can't guess if that's changing things for you.

Robert
Method
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Westiex @ Feb 14 2005, 04:58 PM)

It literally is a 12-point font gray colored watermark of your name and the order number printed on the very bottom lefthand corner of the page. It is barely noticable, and doesn't overlay any important text.

By god I didn't even notice that until I read your post!! That is ingenious!!
Ranneko
QUOTE (RobertB)
I don't know what Preview.app is so I can't guess if that's changing things for you.

Preview.app is the postscript, image, pdf and the like viewing program that comes with the Mac OS, not sure how old it is, because I only started using a Mac last year.

Tends to be nicer and faster than using Acrobat IMO.

Not that this is really relevant or anything.
Method
I too use Preview on OSX and it seems to "inherit zoom" automatically, at least on the free DLs (i haven't purchased any others...
Skarn Ka

Just wondering... Why does SR appear under the "FASA" publisher name instead of FanPro ?
Shouldn't this be fixed ?

Adam
Shadowrun and Classic BattleTech products appear under both names.
Halabis
Sooooo, I've finnished R:AS, now when does brainscan come out on PDF?
Adam
Brainscan was originally in the initial batch, but for some reason I don't have all the art for it ... either FASA didn't archive it properly, or it was archived to another CD. I've sent Randall on a search-and-find mission in the WizKids archives -- if that proves fruitless, the missing artwork will have to be scanned and touched up.
Nikoli
Could always host a contest for updated artwork from the fans, give them a chance to get published.
GlassJaw
FanPro releasing SR pdf's is very cool. I would love to get a pdf of SR3 but $23 is a little pricey for a pdf IMO. I have bought pdf's in the past for other systems but I have a hard time spending more than say 50% of the printed book cost for a pdf.
Adam
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Could always host a contest for updated artwork from the fans, give them a chance to get published.

Or fans that think they have the chops to be published could send in a portfolio, as outlined in the Art Submission Guidelines wink.gif

Filling more than a dozen pieces of art in a very specific product based on fan submissions would be... interesting but not smart, IMO.
Nikoli
Fair enough. And I didn't mean to sugest myself. I'm not artist. I can barely manage to get the pencil in contact with the paper. but, giving the collective talent that's been seen in the boards, there's a chance someone could come up with something.

Kagetenshi
Still no word on when we're going to see more uploaded?

~J
Adam
Soon. I just got slammed with some other work, and I decided to work fewer 16 hour days, as the stress was beginning to get super-sucky. wink.gif

The next batch will include some very treasUred Books.
Ancient History
Glee! love.gif
mfb
a clue, super-sleuths! somebody give me a quarter, so i can take the case !!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 24 2005, 06:18 PM)
Soon. I just got slammed with some other work, and I decided to work fewer 16 hour days, as the stress was beginning to get super-sucky. wink.gif

The next batch will include some very treasUred Books.

I would propose to you again, but I'm too crushed from your previous rejection wink.gif

~J
Adam
QUOTE (mfb)

mfb, I just want to say that you have no idea how many of your posts I really enjoy. Thank you.
Kagetenshi
Yar.

~J
bitrunner
QUOTE (mfb)

yoU'd Be silly not to!

sorry, couldn't resist... nyahnyah.gif
DocMortand
*looks confused* I guess I missed that one. *flips a quarter to mfb, then whines piteously about Brainscan*
Kanada Ten
How about: Desire for these books is Universal in the Brotherhood of shadowrun players... ?

Maybe you're Missing Blood from that last run?
DocMortand
notworthy.gif

Ah yes, those. *chuckle* I got into SR in 3rd Edition, so I kinda bypassed the old skool stuff. I own Burning Bright tho...one of the best novels ever written.

Brainscan? *chuckle*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012