Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun PDFs on DriveThru
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jrayjoker
I saw one or two on ebay last year I think...didn't get them.
Skarn Ka

What kind of protection do the Battlecorps .pdf have ?!
None at all ?
Isn't that hazardous ?
Kagetenshi
Yes. Apparently a hazard FanPro is willing to risk.

Edit: which I give them kudos for.

~J
Adam
Trust. It's so crazy, it just might work!
Skarn Ka

What basically means Battlecorps has an edge over DTRPG.
I'm getting some very positive input - and people waiting for books to be available at BC even though they already are at DTRPG.

Okay, I guess we have to wait a few days to see if these (light-sized, only a few megs) .pdf don't end up on Kazaa too quickly and if the sales are good.

Adam - this can be done cause these are OOP or soon OOP products, right ? Better make them available online than waste money on a new printing ?

It wouldn't be safe with newer products ?

What would you think of selling new SBs translated into other languages (for instance SoE or DotSW in French) this way ? Is it a safe way to go, if they don't have a printed equivalent ?

Adam
Well, several of the products already made available are in-print still: Shadowrun Character Dossier and Sprawl Survival Guide, for example.

When they show up on file sharing networks, well, that sucks, but it's going to happen. People who want to support FanPro will buy them, and others won't. Is that cool of them? I don't think so, but FanPro would rather do what is better for our paying customers than for people who aren't our customers at all.

Foreign translations aren't any of my business, and my understanding is there's some instability in the French Shadowrun license right now anyway, so I really don't have anything to say on that subject.

Incidentally, FanPro currently has 8 Shadowrun products up on DTRPG ... and up to seven of those are in the DTRPG top 20 list at the same time over the last few days. It's currently only six, though ... smile.gif
DarusGrey
I was going to say the same thing ;> People who steal them 99% of the time would have stolen them anyways, meaning theres little in the way of lost revenue because its unlikley they would have purchased the original regardless of the situation.
(Same concept of why the emergance of MP3 file sharing coinsided with increased profits for music labels, you can't lose money you never had).

I'll check out these later, though I already have scanned copy PDFs of all the SR books I already own(nearly all of them). See if the price is worth the convience of professionally done PDFs.
Xirces
I think the largest potential loss is going to be in groups where previously mulitple players plus a GM would buy the same book - I can imagine a lot of groups now sharing more materials (although having said that, my groups have never owned more than one copy of any book for any game - with rare exceptions). If the focus is on producing PDFs on the OOP or hard to get hold of books then I can only imaging it will be good for everyone.

The quick look I've had at the selection (at both sites) and the pricing results in a big thumbs up from me!
Namergon
Seeing SR3 rulebooks and sourcebooks available in PDF, I'm wondering: will reprint OOP SR3 products, or will you manage all your OOP books via the PDF online distribution?

Battlecorps & miniature related question: will there be any preview of the miniatures available? Because I don't know the look and feel of these miniatures, but if I could preview them, I may be interested in buying some.
Adam
Print reprints will be done when they make business sense, the same as they always have been.
bitrunner
bwahahaha - i have all the KAGE's in my possession!!

sorry, just had to brag - back to the thread...
Vairdic
QUOTE (Namergon)
Battlecorps & miniature related question: will there be any preview of the miniatures available? Because I don't know the look and feel of these miniatures, but if I could preview them, I may be interested in buying some.

We're hoping to get painted ones up for preview. We find alot of sites have the base, unpainted mini, but that doesn't really show the depth of what the possibilities are. smile.gif

There's a few examples of the painted BattleTech Warships here.

In the meantime, I suppose I can put up the unpainted minis...

Wow that's a long way to a short answer.
Mr. Man
Will BattleCorps be adding a "pay by check/money order" option? Is this something DTRPG already has?
U_Fester
Since someone brought up the character dossier, what is the chance that the character dossier will have editable lines like other forms. This way you can simply open the document, fill out the information and print/save it? And if this can be done, is there a chance that it can be done with the other character sheets as well?
Jrayjoker
I haven't checked yet. Do either take Paypal?
mfb
i don't think pdf's are capable of doing that, fester.
Kagetenshi
PDFs are more than capable of doing that. Trick is, you need Acrobat if you're going to save, but for just printing it's definitely possible.

~J
Adam
QUOTE (U_Fester)
Since someone brought up the character dossier, what is the chance that the character dossier will have editable lines like other forms.

We decided that this wouldn't be an effective use of my time - to justify it, we'd probably have to bump the Dossier price up, and we didn't think that would go over well.
BitBasher
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't think pdf's are capable of doing that, fester.

Actually they are. We used them for that at work a few times.
Cochise
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Actually they are. We used them for that at work a few times.

PDFs in general? No
Especially prepared PDFs? Yes
The PDFs that are availible on DTRPG? Only if Adam made them in that manner wink.gif
Kagetenshi
PDFs in general are capable of doing that, much like cars in general are capable of moving faster than 15 KPH. You can find examples of ones that don't, but that doesn't mean that everything in category PDF or category car is like that.

~J
U_Fester
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (U_Fester @ Feb 7 2005, 01:29 PM)
Since someone brought up the character dossier, what is the chance that the character dossier will have editable lines like other forms.

We decided that this wouldn't be an effective use of my time - to justify it, we'd probably have to bump the Dossier price up, and we didn't think that would go over well.

Thanks for the quick reply. Justification of Time is the best answer out there. As for the price this is understandable as well. I for one would pay the extra price for the ease of having it done in one spot and such, but more than understand on watching out for the price of the majority as a whole.
Adam
So, if it was fully editable, what would it be worth?

Obviously, if fans are interested, we'll do what we can to accomodate them.
Club
My view on pirating PDF's is a bit skitz:

I have quite a few pirated PDF's. Mostly old adventures and OOP sourcebooks. I own a lot of those in paper. However, if I use any of the data in the pdf's, I consider myself obliged to buy said book if I can find it. I have no guilt about pirating something 15 years old an highly sought after; that is probably the only way I'm going to find it. If I do run into a physical copy for sale, well, honor demands I get it.

There really no reason to pirate anything printed in the last 5 - 7 years, as I can find or order that in.

Example: the PC's wanted a safehouse. I printed a couple pages out of Divided Assets (The suiox safe house). I now own that book.
Cochise
QUOTE (Adam)
So, if it was fully editable, what would it be worth?

Obviously, if fans are interested, we'll do what we can to accomodate them.

To me? Between 1.00$ and 2.50$ extra ...
Kagetenshi
Thanks for sharing, but what relevance does that have to the thread?

~J
Cochise
In brief: Read again

A bit longer:

Ask Adam ...He wanted to know what we (as potential customers of fully editable PDF versions of the Character Dossier) would be willing to pay, if such PDFs were to be made availible on DriveThru (or BattleCorps for that matter) ...

[edit] or are you talking to Club?[/edit]
Kagetenshi
Talking to Club. You even quoted Adam's question nyahnyah.gif

~J
Nikoli
I'd go as high as 40% more for an editable version.

Mainly because if you don't do it, I'll have to make it so myslef and I've only got so many years left before carpal tunnel reduces me to club-fisting the keyboard.
James McMurray
If the versions avilable were only available in pricier editable files I wouldn't buy any of them.
mfb
i'd pay more for an editable version. as it stands, i personally won't be buying the character dossier at all; i play pretty much exclusively online, so the dossier, cool as it is, doesn't do much for my games. an editable version, on the other hand, i could--and would--use.
Vairdic
BattleCorps.com now is accepting PayPal payments on it's site as requested.

We're also working on getting the images of the Shadowrun Minis up as well. Hopefully will be done later today or tomorrow.

Enjoy!
LordFarlander
I would pay a few dollars more for an editable version of the Dossier, myself.

And I must say, Fanpro, and everyone associated (esp Adam) thank you. I can finally get Matrix for a decent price, and I won't have to pay shipping or wait for it. biggrin.gif
Club
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Thanks for sharing, but what relevance does that have to the thread?

~J

My way of saying that I'll buy legal PDF's to replace my pirated PDF's. Re-reading my post, I now realize that I never got to the point. I'd perfer paper in most cases, but if PDF is what I can get, good enough
mfb
i prefer a well-scanned pdf to paper, and paper to a poorly-scanned pdf.
Bigity
Would thesesheets be editable with just Acrobat Reader, or would I need the full Adobe for that?

If I can just use reader, it would be worth a couple-few more dollars.
Adam
You would be able to edit and print in Reader, but not save your data into the sheet.
Bigity
Sweet, definately useful for character sheets.

How would errata for the more current sourcebooks be handled? I don't suppose we would get updated versions after buying a ebook?

Also, if an ebook was purchased, and I had Adobe (full version), would I be allowed to modify the eBook (with errata, personal notes, etc)?
fistandantilus4.0
I know it's been touched on already, but what are the chances of getting older books (lie 1st + 2nd edt adventures) put out on PDF. I know it's not going to be a priority, since there are a LOT more useful books out there, but having some of hose older modules would be nice.

Is this even a possibility for the future?
Adam
How would errata for the more current sourcebooks be handled? I don't suppose we would get updated versions after buying a ebook?

If the ebook is updated, and the plans are to do so for errata issues, you'll be allowed to download it again. I believe DTRPG allows 5 downloads of a product, but we can request that they "reset" that figure if we update the books frequently.

I don't see this as being much of an issue -- we don't plan on updating every book every month. That would cut into our profits, and DTRPG wouldn't be happy about it, either. But if substantial errata changes are made to a book, you'll be entitled to the new version.

Also, if an ebook was purchased, and I had Adobe (full version), would I be allowed to modify the eBook (with errata, personal notes, etc)?

I think you'll be able to do so if you buy the book from BattleCorps, but not from DTRPG, but don't quote me on that one -- I haven't had the chance to test that sort of stuff out.
Adam
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I know it's been touched on already, but what are the chances of getting older books (lie 1st + 2nd edt adventures) put out on PDF. I know it's not going to be a priority, since there are a LOT more useful books out there, but having some of hose older modules would be nice.

Putting them up is planned, but most of the non-metaplot adventures are lower down on the priority list.
fistandantilus4.0
Wow! that was quick!
Thanks for the info!
Better some time than no time!
Bigity
Sounds good. Thanks for the responses Adam.

U_Fester
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I'd go as high as 40% more for an editable version.

Mainly because if you don't do it, I'll have to make it so myslef and I've only got so many years left before carpal tunnel reduces me to club-fisting the keyboard.

a 20% - 40% increase would seem fair to me. 20% on manualls that had few forms and more for those such as the character dossier.
Vairdic
QUOTE (Bigity)

Yes, the BattleCorps.com versions are not secured, so will allow notations in the PDF. I can't speak for the DriveThru versions.
Lycanthropic Dreaming
Mmmm... bookmarked non-pixelated font PDF goodness... I think I'm in looooovvvveeee!

Any idea on the ordering of what's not yet PDF but soon to be so Adam? This has REALLY made my day.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Vairdic @ Feb 7 2005, 06:26 PM)
BattleCorps.com now is accepting PayPal payments on it's site as requested.

Are there any plans to add a pay by check/money order option?
Kagetenshi
Well, I just bought one of everything but the Character Dossier. Call me an addict, I guess dead.gif

Any idea when they're going to get the rest of the stuff up? Us junkies are getting restless!

~J
U_Fester
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Well, I just bought one of everything but the Character Dossier. Call me an addict, I guess dead.gif

Don't feel bad. I been on EBay hunting down an old copy of Universal Brotherhood.... AND I WON!!!! muuuahahahahahahahahahaha

As for the electronic copies, I will start buying all of them in March. Yes I am know I am a slave to the Game and I will pruchase electronic copies to everything I already own. Better not let my wife find out.
Traks
Currently looking at battlecorps pdfs and other stuff.
As I prefer paper version, probably I'll buy only few pdf books. But hey, every dollar counts, no? smile.gif
On unrelated note, Shadowrun minis without any pictures suck. They should make at least crude representations what they look like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012