Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun PDFs on DriveThru
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Xirces
Just have to say how impressed I am with DriveThruRPG - just downloaded New Seattle and the Underworld sourcebook, quick, easy and no fuss (but then I used the company pipe rather than downloading via dial-up).

Congrats to everyone involved in setting this up.
BitBasher
Hey, if a revision os made to the book, and we bought the PDF, do we get the correct updated version of the book for free on PDF? Or do we have to pay for it again if we want the new one?
Fortune
QUOTE (Adam)
How would errata for the more current sourcebooks be handled? I don't suppose we would get updated versions after buying a ebook?

If the ebook is updated, and the plans are to do so for errata issues, you'll be allowed to download it again. I believe DTRPG allows 5 downloads of a product, but we can request that they "reset" that figure if we update the books frequently.

I don't see this as being much of an issue -- we don't plan on updating every book every month. That would cut into our profits, and DTRPG wouldn't be happy about it, either. But if substantial errata changes are made to a book, you'll be entitled to the new version.
BitBasher
Right-o! Captain Oblivious reporting for duty SIR! wink.gif
Fortune
Lots of posts ... it happens. smile.gif
Lycan
I don´t agree the prices are low as Adam suggested. I always print my books because reading on the screen is very tiresome, and printing costs should be considered.
I think the main advantage of an e-book is not having to pay for shipping. I usually have to pay US$ 7,00 per book plus US$20,00 per package for importing. Yes, Fan Pro don´t distribute in Brasil.
BitBasher
I disagree on adding the cost of printing into the total, I will never print an E-Book and none of my friends plan to either.

We want them for two reasons. First, they can be TEXT SEARCHED. No more fumbling for rules. Second they can be loaded on a PDA and read when I'm bored.

If I was going to print it, I'd just buy them hardcopy.
Xirces
Actually, the main advantages of the e-books are (in no particular order)

* instant availability (ie, I can get it right NOW)
* not having to leave the house
* not gambling that my local store actually has a book I want (guess this goes with availability

and one reason that stands out above the rest

* the US dollar is so weak that the cost of downloading them is negligable compared to buying the printed versions.
ShadowGhost
I just bought the SR3 main book - beautiful!!!!

I got tired of looking through the two halves of my SR3 book (usual story... color plates started falling out, then the spine finally split down the center.)

I love how the all the Bookmarks have chapters, sections and subsections available for quick jumping around... like Magic -> Combat Spells -> Manabolt - this makes things incredibly easy to look up.

Great Job Adam! I'm really looking forward to adding other pdf sourcebooks to my Powerbook as they come on-line.
Club
How long after SR4 comes out will it be posted on the sites, and at what cost? Also, what and when is anything else going up?
nezumi
(Am I the only one who feels sorry for poor Shadowghost two posts earlier?)
Tarantula
Yes. Take your compassion elsewhere.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (nezumi)
(Am I the only one who feels sorry for poor Shadowghost two posts earlier?)

Why? If you mean the pending SR4, that doesn't come out until August. There's still plenty of gaming to be had with SR3, and frankly, it may be a long and rough transition from SR3 to SR4 (until SR4's material "catches up" rulesbook-wise to SR3). Not to mention the PDFs are so damn nifty. It's much easier to be a book-ninja when all you have to do is press CTRL-F and type the term you want to find.
ShadowGhost
Even if SR4 were coming out next week, I'd have no regrets about getting the SR3 pdf.
The Canterbury Tail
Good on you. I have no regrets on buying mine, and I'm still waiting for more of the PDFs to come out so I can buy more. Just because SR4 will be out this year doesn't invalidate everything. So come on, more PDFs.
Vairdic
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail)
Good on you. I have no regrets on buying mine, and I'm still waiting for more of the PDFs to come out so I can buy more. Just because SR4 will be out this year doesn't invalidate everything. So come on, more PDFs.

Wait no longer (if you're looking for the old FASA stuff).

Here's three of the FASA books...

Harlequin
Tír na nÓg
Tir Tairngire: The Land of Promise

Enjoy!
fistandantilus4.0
Good deal!

Now where's Threats!?

(not ungrateful...really)
Slacker
QUOTE (Vairdic)
Here's three of the FASA books...

Harlequin
Tír na nÓg
Tir Tairngire: The Land of Promise

Enjoy!

Is it just me or does anybody else find the file sizes for these three to be rather large.

I mean the BBB is only 14.08 MB according to DriveThruRPG.com
Harlequin is showing as 37.1 MB
Tir na nOg is showing as 46.1 MB
and Tir Tairngire is showing as 39.2 MB
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Slacker)
Is it just me or does anybody else find the file sizes for these three to be rather large.

I mean the BBB is only 14.08 MB according to DriveThruRPG.com
Harlequin is showing as 37.1 MB
Tir na nOg is showing as 46.1 MB
and Tir Tairngire is showing as 39.2 MB

They ARE large. One of the benefits of having the PDFs was a reduced file size, but those three are monsters. I'm not sure what's that from, other than all the esoteric border illustrations that's all over the Harlequin adventure. At least they are all searchable, which is the main feature in my book.
Vairdic
The reason the files are so large is that these books are not made from the digital files.

Most all of the older, FASA produced books are actually cut apart, scanned, OCR'd, then saved as a PDF file. To keep the layout as close to the original as possible we save the PDF as an "Image over text" which presents an image, but leaves the searchable, selectable text underneath it. Each page has to have enough resolution that people with any sized monitor (well, I haven't personally tried it on a 30inch Apple Cinema display but if someone wants to buy me one I will). You can see how the page count affects the file size in the documents. Harlequin is the largest file with 178 pages.

Hope this Helps!
the_dunner
It's been about a month since the last batch. Any word on when we'll be seeing some new ones? (Personally, I want M&M, CC, and R3R so that I can completely stop carrying books to game sessions.)
Vairdic
We should have another batch to go up this week. I don't have the schedule on me, so can't say exactly which ones are going up.

We just finished a major move of our offices, and we're almost settled into our new offices, so you should start to see more regular updates now.
The Canterbury Tail
So, do we have any more of these coming? My hard drive is crying out for Shadowrun PDFs.
Jrayjoker
Cool, thanks for the updates. These are filling in the blanks of my library nicely...
Adam
Several books are ready and just waiting approval from above, and a couple more will be following close on their heels -- or catching up to them, if approvals take much longer. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
Any titles yet? Or can't you say until they are approved? Who is doing the approving?
Adam
Universal Brotherhood, Neo-Anarchists Guide to Real Life, Paranormal Animals of North America.
Jrayjoker
Thanks a lot. I am missing 2 of the 3 listed. My library cup runneth over.
Kagetenshi
Any word on Bug City?

~J
Adam
It's in the next batch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012