Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Indestructable Leopard III
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
FrostyNSO
I just got SOTA:2063 a week or two ago and just loved the mercenaries section. I was also very happy to see some new heavy hitters in the vehicle department, but one thing bothered me and I'm sure it has been discussed before but:

The Leopard III tank has an armor rating of 40!
When I saw this, the first thing I did was to grab Rigger 3 and check out the AV weapons. The biggest non-naval weapon I could find was 20D (AV). Still just not quite enough to dent this puppy. Now, lets say one of my characters gets ahold of one of these (not gonna happen, but we'll say he does). How do I kill him without calling in the USS Missouri?

They may as well just give the thing a Hull and Bulwark rating and make it easy on us, instead of having to convert naval to normal damage to kill it.
Crimsondude 2.0
I hear IEDs are good at disabling them.
Kagetenshi
It's a main battle tank. If someone gets ahold of one, they will be calling in the USS Missouri.

Edit: that being said, the FAQ says you can call a shot…

~J
shadow_scholar
While I don't have the SOTA 2063, and I'm not fully versed on vehicle rules, my first thoughts are that a vehicle is going to be somewhat vulnerable underneath. While a good mine or even a well made bomb may not take it out, it will probably at least make it non-movable. Then you've just got to crack that tin can. No matter how tough that vehicle is, though, the weakest link is always going to be the pilot and/or occupants. A powerful area effect spell could take care of that. Or, if it is a drone being controlled by a rigger, scramble the communication signal, or even worse, crack the signal and take control of it. There are plenty of ways to defeat something without having to use pure strength.
sidartha
Providing the Leopard is being shot with AV ammunition it still has to roll its body against damage and sucsesses.
A heavy pistol loaded with AV ammo fired by a smart-linked pistol adapt(skill 12) using all available combat pool(6) at point blank range will generate 15 sucsesses at light damage for the tank to stage down at a TN of 1.
Then the adapt gets a second shot.

Point being, it's not that hard to kill a vehicle with the proper weapons.
Nath
There are actually weapons with naval damage code which are not limited to naval vessels. The railgun in Rigger 3 are also used as standard armament on Main Battle Tanks (a 15MN heavy railgun on Leopard III, a 8MN medium one on Keiler A4).
BitBasher
QUOTE (sidartha)
Providing the Leopard is being shot with AV ammunition it still has to roll its body against damage and sucsesses.
A heavy pistol loaded with AV ammo fired by a smart-linked pistol adapt(skill 12) using all available combat pool(6) at point blank range will generate 15 sucsesses at light damage for the tank to stage down at a TN of 1.
Then the adapt gets a second shot.

Point being, it's not that hard to kill a vehicle with the proper weapons.

Ah... no. The Leopard still has 40 points of hardened armor. A 9m pistol against half it's armor is a power of -11. Since the armor is hardened the shot bounces, no roll is necessary, and sucesses are irrelevant. An AV weapon would have to have a base power of 21 or higher for the tank even to have to roll any dice to see if it was hurt.

Any attack with a power less than a 21 AV or a 41 standard simply bounces off. Period. No roll necessary.
The Grifter
it's not that hard to kill a vehicle with the proper weapons.

This is true,however (and you know there's always a however)...

This is impossible. No fraggin' way. I'll put it to you like this. In the Marine Corps, I was a gunner on an M1A1 Abrams MBT. I'm very familir with the vehicle, as well as most other AFV's, and know that there is no way in hell a pistol round can penetrate a tank. Nowhere. Hell, in Iraq we got hit with eveything from pistols, to machine guns, to RPG's, and still didn't even scratch the armor, maybe just chipped the paint.

My point is, no matter who's shooting the pistol, with whatever type of ammo, it could not, and should not, penetrate the armor. It's ridiculous. It's a tank, after all. And I'm certain the tnks of the 2060's are way more advanced the the old dinosaurs I was crewing.
BitBasher
It's okay Grifter, he is wrong, the attack bounces. The armor is hardened. wink.gif
hobgoblin
and thats compareable to real life. if you want to reliably take out a tank, you call in a tank of your own.

and the mine under the tank may work in rl, but in sr armor covers everything, includeing threads and turret, equaly well (want to stop a rl tank, aim for turret or threads).

that is unless there is something in the advances rigger3 rules. i cant say i have read em...
The Grifter
Mines under the tank might take out the treads and provide a mobility kill, but not a total kill. Armor is way too tough for that.
hobgoblin
but is sr it will either kill the tank outright or not affect its mobility at all...
The Grifter
Boo, I say.
BitBasher
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
but is sr it will either kill the tank outright or not affect its mobility at all...

No published weapon except a naval damage weapon can do anything to this tank except the latter option. I think it's safe wink.gif
The Grifter
Awesome. If you're not safe in a tank, where CAN you be safe?
FrostyNSO
What is the minimum naval damage that will drop it? (No books at work...)
toturi
Just Call Shot to bypass armour. Like Kage said... Armour? What armour?
RunnerPaul
It's ok. Just wait for SotA:2065, and perhaps they'll introduce an adept power that lets Killing Hands treat hardened armor as regular armor, and then someone will build a Troll who can punch the tank to death.
silly.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Any attack with a power less than a 21 AV or a 41 standard simply bounces off. Period. No roll necessary.

82, not 41.

~J
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (The Grifter @ Feb 8 2005, 06:33 PM)
Hell, in Iraq we got hit with eveything from pistols, to machine guns, to RPG's, and still didn't even scratch the armor, maybe just chipped the paint. 

Uh, as I understand it a lot of the tank crews in Iraq are really worried about RPGs. Anyone can use 'em and it'll crack a tank, that's why you see a lot of the tanks now with either cages or just extemporaneous junk attached to the outside of the tank so that the RPG won't detonate directly on the armor and crack it.

As for a weapon of sufficient power, isn't there a sniper rifle with a 21D damage? A Barrette model 121 if my memory serves? Couldn't you just get it in an AV round and maybe pierce the armor that way?

Also, all you need is someone to "paint" the tank and a sub or battleship can launch something to take it out. But that's beyond your average merc's resources.
grendel
Barret 121 fires an APDS round that does 14D. It is not treated as AV.

RPGs will not penetrate the armor on a modern MBT, which is designed to defeat shaped charge warheads on anti-tank missiles as well as kinetic penetrators fired from other tanks. As others have stated, though, tank treads remain vulnerable to man-portable weapons systems. This will grant you a mobility kill, but will in no way eliminate the tank as a threat to your forces.
The Grifter
It's ok. Just wait for SotA:2065, and perhaps they'll introduce an adept power that lets Killing Hands treat hardened armor as regular armor, and then someone will build a Troll who can punch the tank to death.

I only wish.... rotfl.gif
FrostyNSO
*nevermind
Da9iel
How big would a mine be to achieve a successful chunky salsa effect? Figure from ½ to 1 meter between the ground and the underside of the tank. Are there any large enough?
The Grifter
An AV mine. Or a bouncing Betty, although those are primarily anti-personell mines.
grendel
Check this out for data on current US anti-tank mines.
Dancer
When browsing through the archives I saw some stats for a custom vehicle that had two mechanical arms fitted with dikoted cyberspurs - enough power to open a Leopard up like a tin can.

From a 'realism' perspective it's very weird if a tank is cimpletely immune to it's own main gun. Land battles must be very boring in 2064.

There's the old trick of ordering a spirit/elemental to materialise inside a vehicle and kill the crew. But any modern military vehicle should have nice, thick permanent wards.
Rev
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and thats compareable to real life. if you want to reliably take out a tank, you call in a tank of your own.

Thus the question is whether an sr tank can kill an sr tank. What's the damage on the main weapon of said tank?
Cochise
QUOTE (Rev @ Feb 9 2005, 02:37 AM)
Thus the question is whether an sr tank can kill an sr tank.  What's the damage on the main weapon of said tank?

It's a railgun that does medium naval damage => it works ...
FrostyNSO
Anybody care to post the naval to normal damage conversion formula?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Rev)
What's the damage on the main weapon of said tank?

According to Nath's previous post, 15MN heavy railgun on Leopard III, an 8MN medium one on a Keiler A4.
Kagetenshi
8MN translates to 24 (AV) MN, which means that it needs to be staged down three times to reach S. Incidentally, against normal targets it is treated as a splash weapon with -3/meter power reduction. The big one is 45 (AV) MN.

Yeah, that'll do the trick.

~J
Crimson Jack
How to Break Into a Moving Tank 101:

a) Turn on stealth mode.
b) Run up to the tank.
c) Hit the X button to board said tank.
d) Hit the B button to whack the hatch open.
e) Hit the R trigger button to drop a plasma grenade inside.
f) Laugh.

Courtesy of Halo 2 grinbig.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Feb 8 2005, 06:13 PM)
Now, lets say one of my characters gets ahold of one of these (not gonna happen, but we'll say he does).  How do I kill him without calling in the USS Missouri?

I regularly play gunbunnies but even I know this one:

Send Elemental of choice on the astral into the tank. Have said elemental materialize and attack/use powers to attack. Everybody dies. Sorry. Next. smile.gif

Or is this thing astral shielded somehow? I don't have the SOTA books.
FrostyNSO
Hell, if your gonna armor a tank, go ahead and lace it with FAB too rotfl.gif
Crimson Jack
Are these things all grounded so that electrical secondary effects won't hurt them? If not, elemental spell. Zark!
James McMurray
An elemental spell would have to be force 41 to affect a vehicle with 40 armor. I'd hate to have to soak that drain! smile.gif
Crimson Jack
Is that the way it works with the secondary effects as well though? I don't remember. I wasn't talking about primary damage.
Tarantula
With vehicles, the primary damage has to affect it for secondary to affect it. And, anyone using this sort of tank, is going to have at least one, if not multiple riggers controlling it (One driving, one or 5 gunning).
James McMurray
Yep. If the spell's force does not exceed the vehicle's armor rating it has no effect. Check the vehicle section under "Elemental Manipulation Spells".
James McMurray
I would also invest in a ward for the thing, to prevent astral magicians and spirits from entering. Heck, almost any armored vehicle fielded should have at least a small ward around it to give the passengers a bit of warning and protection against elementals materializing inside.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Send Elemental of choice on the astral into the tank. Have said elemental materialize and attack/use powers to attack. Everybody dies. Sorry. Next.

Oops, it's a drone with rating 10 military encryption and the mage just wasted that elemental with a remote service. It would cost about 100¥ to 1000¥ for a ward on a tank depending on strength. They spent over a million on just training the crew. You tell me, is it warded?
Dancer
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Feb 8 2005, 08:12 PM)
Send Elemental of choice on the astral into the tank. Have said elemental materialize and attack/use powers to attack. Everybody dies. Sorry. Next.

Oops, it's a drone with rating 10 military encryption and the mage just wasted that elemental with a remote service. It would cost about 100¥ to 1000¥ for a ward on a tank depending on strength. They spent over a million on just training the crew. You tell me, is it warded?

You'd want a permanent ward rather than having to re-ward it every time you send it out - using MiTS costs for NPC karma (5000 nuyen.gif a point) a rating 8 permanent ward would come in at around 40,000 nuyen.gif , still very affordable for a multi-million-nuyen vehicle.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yep. If the spell's force does not exceed the vehicle's armor rating it has no effect. Check the vehicle section under "Elemental Manipulation Spells".

Heh, I know where to find the rules, I just don't feel like getting the book out right now. wink.gif
hobgoblin
wards and fab will not stop a spirit if it comes directly from its metaplane iirc.
the question then becomes, how far away does the magican have to be...
Kagetenshi
Three Force 6 Elementals cost 24,000 at market price, and can IIRC guard a location for a year and a day.

~J
James McMurray
That's one way to go, but remember that it makes everyone on the planet a killable target for anyone capable of summoning an elemental. I prefer to take the stance that wards stop astral intruders, whether they step through a metaplane or not.
hobgoblin
that depends, if your going after a high initiate mage i would not send a elemental as he would probably banish it into oblivion...

allso, you can fill the inside of the tank with fab-3. harmless to normal humans, lethal to any astral or dual entity...
Kanada Ten
wards and fab will not stop a spirit if it comes directly from its metaplane iirc.

The problem is the spirit cannot come directly from it's metaplane unless the mage can see where the spirit is to end up because it requires a service to bypass the ward via a metaplane and once sent on a remote service all other services are gone. I suppose one could allow the mage to say "return to your metaplane and then enter the tank and kill all the occupants inside" but I don't know if I'd allow it.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

The problem is the spirit cannot come directly from it's metaplane unless the mage can see where the spirit is to end up because it requires a service to bypass the ward via a metaplane and once sent on a remote service all other services are gone. I suppose one could allow the mage to say "return to your metaplane and then enter the tank and kill all the occupants inside" but I don't know if I'd allow it.

I would. Creative thinking merits good results, especially considering the fact that no one in my PCs' group would have something that could stop that type of juggernaut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012