Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Katana By An Other Name
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Most of them are way overpriced, since most of them are basically pieces of wood. (i.e. the nunchaku, 3 section staff, etc.)

You'll probably laugh, but I prefer to say simwood, perfected for spring, density and hardness. That's why the Japanese Bo does more damage, they have better plastic. I mean, carrying around real wood might get you killed by all those tree huggers. grinbig.gif
Fresno Bob
Well, real nice nunchuks are actually pretty expensive. Anything that actually works is. I mean, look at Cold Steel's combat knives. Sure, they won't break off in a man's skull, but goddamn, should that really make it cost a couple hundred more?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Here ya go boys and girls...you know you wanted it. eek.gif

No one's said it yet? Guess I have to.
He's probably compensating for something.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes @ Feb 11 2005, 07:27 PM)
Unfortunately the No Daichi is listed as a Pole Arm in SR.

I'm pretty sure they're not suggesting that it is in fact a polearm. That being said, the way it is used bears a lot more resemblance to a polearm than a sword.

Edward: Stainless steel? eek.gif

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
[...]Edward: Stainless steel? eek.gif

~J

Damn, that would be heavy...

I was thinking more Damascus or Carbon, maybe (and even the Carbon would be a tad heavy for a No Dachi).
Kagetenshi
Not only heavy, but bad! You can't make a good sword edge from that stuff. Just fine for knives, terrible for swords.

~J
Tanka
Never had one for a knife, actually. Mainly whatever I've got in the kitchen and a few random pocket knives and two Pakistani steel knives.
Arethusa
Since when was stainless significantly denser than any other steel mix?

Also, I would like to dispel a fairly famous internet myth: carbon steel is not one specific alloy. There are tons of steel mixtures that fall under the umbrella of carbon steel, and if Cray were around, he'd probably rattle a few off for fun.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Arethusa)

It isn't, but any sword using it I've ever seen is significantly thicker than usual; I'm assuming that this is due to material brittleness, though it could just be that people using stainless are making bad swords anyway.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Feb 11 2005, 11:42 PM)

It isn't, but any sword using it I've ever seen is significantly thicker than usual; I'm assuming that this is due to material brittleness, though it could just be that people using stainless are making bad swords anyway.

~J

Or maybe...

Just maybe...

IT WASN'T FOLDED ENOUGH!

(Guffaw. I make fun of myself now. I'm so cool.)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tanka)
Mainly whatever I've got in the kitchen

Odds are this is stainless.

~J
Tanka
Probably, but I don't really care. They're for cutting food. They were relatively inexpensive and work just fine, so brand name and so on doesn't particularly matter.
Arethusa
You'd be surprised what a brand name can mean for food. I've cooked in other people's kitchens, and their lack of care for their cookware never fails to disgust me.
Tanka
...Normally, I'd have a response to that.

But right now, nothing is coming to me other than a shaking of the head and a sigh.

Seriously though. I keep them clean, I keep them sharp. They treat me well.
FrostyNSO
In case anybody is wondering : Stainless steel is NOT good for sword blades. The chromium (that makes it "stainless") makes it too brittle. It is just fine for knives.

"Carbon Steel" is usually just a term cheap sword-makers use to make their blades sound better. Anybody who tries to see you a blade touted as "carbon steel" is usually selling you a sub-par blade. Most sword-makers worth their salt will tell you exactly what kind of steel they used (L6, A50, etc...).

Oh, and this hasn't come up yet, but titanium is horrible for knives and swords alike.
Tanka
Usually being the key word. Starfire Swords does not make cheap crap. I use them in the Ren Fest Combat Chess fights I'm in, and they hold up rather nicely. (Come with a pretty good warranty, too.)
Kagetenshi
From everything I've seen of theirs, Starfire makes nice crap.

~J
Tanka
My only complaint is the weight. A tad heavy and a little unbalanced, but good for stage combat.
Kagetenshi
Agreed. I suppose my comment could have been impugning their quality; I'll say right out that they're bad swords, but they're designed to be. As props, I love them.

Incidentally, does anyone know how good 1098 steel usually is for this sort of thing?

~J
Arethusa
Titanium is terrible. It falls into the good-forknives-bad-for-swords category. It's light and quite durable for its weight, but it's a common misconception that it's stronger than steel. It has a lot of things it's excellent for and it's an incredible material when used properly, but it can't hold an edge and it would make a terrible sword to swing around. There's a reason there are lots of lightweight revolvers made of titanium and titanium alloys, and they all use steel barrels.

Also, please listen to Frosty. It is another common misconception that there is some specific steel mixture named "carbon steel." You can essentially create an infinite number of steel recipes that fall under the umbrella of carbon steel, a few of which Frosty rattled off. If Cray were around, I'm sure he'd do the same. If you can't find out anything more about something than that it's made of "carbon steel," pretty good chance it's just a buzzword.

As for 1098, I can't say. I believe it a has a higher carbon content than 1086, which I know Bugei uses for its weapons, but I can't confirm that. I do know I've never heard of it being used for swords, but I'm not going to speculate.
Kagetenshi
There is room for misconception there. Titanium, as I remember, is stronger than steel kilo-for-kilo. Cubic centimeter for cubic centimeter, not so much.

~J
Arethusa
That is correct. As I recall, the same is true of duraluminum.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Well, real nice nunchuks are actually pretty expensive. Anything that actually works is. I mean, look at Cold Steel's combat knives. Sure, they won't break off in a man's skull, but goddamn, should that really make it cost a couple hundred more?

But fundamentally you don't need a "good" pair of nunchucks to beat someone to a mass of broken and swollen flesh. There's no reason at all that a 10 dollar pair from a Chinatown tourist trap can't cause grevious physical harm or death to someone. They might not be durable in the long haul, but they are perfectly usable as weapons. All that's important from the perspecive of the mechanics of the weapon is that you have the two pieces of wood joined by flexible cord so that you can get a powerful torque when spinning the weapon.

The same thing works for knives, too. Sure, you can spend hundreds of dollars on a well tempered and well formed combat knife that you could keep for years, but that dosen't mean that a skilled knife person who attacks you with a 20 dollar chef's knife isn't still quite capable of killing you in exactly the same way. Maybe the chef's knife won't hold up as well to the stress of combat but that dosen't mean that if you want to go kill someone with a knife in the context of SR you should be forced to pay the price of a cougar fineblade (analagous to the ridiculous 100 nuyen MSRP for nunchaku) when all that you theoretically need is the 30 nuyen Knife (would be analagous to a cheap 10 dollar pair of nunchucks).
Dissonance
You don't need a fully-loaded minivan to crush someone to death when you run over them, but it's more likely to get the job done in fewer passes than a subcompact.

You don't need a Barrett to kill a troll, but it does a better job than a Ruger 750 or whatever.

You don't need a weapon focus to kill a spirit, but it SURE AS HELL does a better job than a mundane trying to dominate it with a stick and his force of personality.

Sure, the 20 dollar knife and the 10 dollar nunchaku will kill your opponent dead.

The good stuff will kill them _deader_.

Or something.
FrostyNSO
Your problem with weight and balance arise from manufacturers making the blade thicker to withstand "stage combat", which is notoriously stressful to a sword blade. I will agree on the "nice crap" statement.

As to 1098, I could see that being alright if heat-treated well. That is getting a little on the high scale of how much carbon you want in the mix. 1086 would be considered too high by some, but if heat-treated well, can be superb.

Titanium isn't really any good for knives either.
Kage, I'm not sure where you got your titanium info, and I'm on break so I can't check, but to make a blade from straight titanium (alloy, straight titanium is rather soft and whenever titanium is used it is almost always an alloy) with the strength of a steel blade would require the blade to be super thick (like ridiculously so). However, the ridiculously thick blade would still weigh less smile.gif

Actually, I have heard that the knives with the steel blades that have some sort of titanium crystal-coating thingy have performed well, but lose the benefit after you have to sharpen them. If anybody can find anything on this, it's worth checking out I'm sure.
Weredigo
Since there's not very many melee weapons in the books "StreetSam Catalogue" and "Fields of Fire", and those that are in there are IMHO poorly described when it comes to Melee weapons I hand my players catalogues from Medieval Replica's Limited, and Atlanta Cutlery to get ideas for what they want. As far as certain weapons doing more damage wether it's Melee or Firearms I'll have to disagree. Player#1 shouldn't take more damage from the Katana Player#2 just planted in his shoulder then Player#2 takes when Player#1 Plants a throwing dagger in his eye. It's all in the Attack, Defend, Damage Resist rolls made along the way that should ultimately decide who wins the fight.

That's not to say a Vindicator won't do more damage then a 6cylinder, just that it depends more on Aiming, and Rounds being used.

If the character in question had the Martial Arts specialization, and a Concentration in the weapon being used I'd allow the extra damage

And yes I know most of what MRL puts out is crap, but they do have one good product. Dymondwood Staves, I've had one and need to put money back for another, Fireproof, Waterproof, and can withstand a ton or two of pressure. I've personally pushed a car in nuetral uphill with one.

Also don't forget Sporting goods make Great melee weapons after they've been Dikoted, or maybe just bronzed.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Also don't forget Sporting goods make Great melee weapons after they've been Dikoted, or maybe just bronzed.

Anybody seen the episode of Conan O'brien when he was doing funny ads and one of them was for an aluminum bat called "The Rent Collector"?

If anybody can find that bat for me, I'll give you my first born.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Kage, I'm not sure where you got your titanium info, and I'm on break so I can't check, but to make a blade from straight titanium (alloy, straight titanium is rather soft and whenever titanium is used it is almost always an alloy) with the strength of a steel blade would require the blade to be super thick (like ridiculously so). However, the ridiculously thick blade would still weigh less smile.gif

That being exactly what I said, I'm left to wonder why you put in the "unsure where you got your info" comment smile.gif

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
The same thing works for knives, too. Sure, you can spend hundreds of dollars on a well tempered and well formed combat knife that you could keep for years, but that dosen't mean that a skilled knife person who attacks you with a 20 dollar chef's knife isn't still quite capable of killing you in exactly the same way. Maybe the chef's knife won't hold up as well to the stress of combat but that dosen't mean that if you want to go kill someone with a knife in the context of SR you should be forced to pay the price of a cougar fineblade (analagous to the ridiculous 100 nuyen MSRP for nunchaku) when all that you theoretically need is the 30 nuyen Knife (would be analagous to a cheap 10 dollar pair of nunchucks).

The reason I don't have a problem with it is that for a Shadowrunner any price in the low hundreds of nuyen is essentially nonexistent.

~J
DrJest
Your problem with weight and balance arise from manufacturers making the blade thicker to withstand "stage combat", which is notoriously stressful to a sword blade

I'd second that. Stage combat is all about aiming for your opponent's blade instead of his body. You see a lot more in terms of direct blocks and blade attacks than you would ever see in a real fight, so the wear and tear on a stage blade is astronomically higher than on a live one. In fact, and I'm sure the SCA boys will back me up on this, when I actually studied (briefly) live broadsword combat I was surprised how much of it was avoidance and, at best, deflection as opposed to blocks and parries.
Jrayjoker
There has been a lot of talk about carbon, high carbon, and titanium alloys, but the majority of blades in common use are stainless steel. Typically they are 304 (which is softer), or 316 (which is 10% harder than 304). Both of which are softer than carbon steels (about 20%). Depending on the alloy they can be half as strong as carbon steel or less. The benefit is the lack of corrosion.

Tending a knife of high strength is not a trivial matter, it will corrode if you look at it funny let alone touch it with your oily skin. How many PCs take the time to RP cleaning and oiling their highly expensive and easily corroded guns? Now how many do it with their knives?
Tanka
I'd seriously like to see where you get that all [knives] are made of Stainless. A lot of knives, sure. All, no. With swords, Stainless just wouldn't work. Too heavy.
Kagetenshi
Again, the real reason is that it's too brittle. The fact that some people thicken it insanely to compensate for this is ancillary.

That being said, most sword blades are made with stainless these days. Go check out all of the $20 swords on eBay if you don't believe me.

~J
Tanka
Feh, those don't count as weapons. Those are showpieces. "Ooh, ooh, look, pretty!" That's all.

I prefer something that can take a hit to something that looks good mounted on a wall.
Kagetenshi
So do I. Nonetheless, due precisely to the fact that most blades won't take a hit in their lives against something harder than a watermelon, stainless has become extremely popular.

~J
Edward
Well my lack of understanding of metallurgy for swords was well exposed but nobody has yet countered my argument that middle ages metallurgical knowledge is irrelevant in determining witch style of blade is better in the 2060s.

What I do know is that both wood saw blades (that will bend if you get the angle wrong and are almost imposable to snap) and hacksaw blades (that will always snap before they bend) are both carbon steal. At least that is what salesmen, manual arts teachers and packaging would have me believe.

Edward
Arethusa
You could make the same argument now, and yet the difference between a well made functional reproduction of a European sword and the same of, for example, a katana, remains quite vast. It doesn't hold up, and it isn't likely to hold up much better in 60 years. Yes, I'm sure there will be some materials advances, but I find it unlikely to change that much. It's up there with SR proclaiming the end of cased firearms and other such nonsense.

The one caveat I have is that I while I am not at all bothered by katana getting +1 power, I am not too bothered by making a bastard sword numerically equivalent. This is really just what you get when melee combat is this dumbed down and you only have three stats to differentiate a weapon from a number (power, damage level, reach). Firearms combat doesn't suffer as much simply because it also involves tactical positioning, making it far more dynamic in comparison.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Dissonance @ Feb 12 2005, 04:22 AM)
You don't need a fully-loaded minivan to crush someone to death when you run over them, but it's more likely to get the job done in fewer passes than a subcompact.

You don't need a Barrett to kill a troll, but it does a better job than a Ruger 750 or whatever.

You don't need a weapon focus to kill a spirit, but it SURE AS HELL does a better job than a mundane trying to dominate it with a stick and his force of personality.

Sure, the 20 dollar knife and the 10 dollar nunchaku will kill your opponent dead.

The good stuff will kill them _deader_.

Or something.

Right, but when we're talking about three section staffs or nunchaku, the degree of deadness caused by a cheap pair or an expensive pair makes very little difference. The only difference I can forsee would be in terms of long-term durability.

All that you need to create deadness with nunchaku is a hard material and the central chain so that you can get a lot of torque on your swing. It dosen't make a huge difference whether the material is some cheap metal or wood, or whether you've got a chain or a cord in the middle. Either one can do the job equally well if you know how to swing the sticks.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

The reason I don't have a problem with it is that for a Shadowrunner any price in the low hundreds of nuyen is essentially nonexistent.

~J

It's made a difference for me in the past when using the Priorities System and giving myself 500 nuyen starting cash so as to squeeze out every last attribute and skill point that I can. When a simple pair of nuchaku takes up 20% of your starting resources when it really really shouldn't, it's kind of disheartening.
Arethusa
Have you ever used nunchaku? I'm comfortable with my $5 training pair because they're made of foam and pvc, but I wouldn't trust them if they were made of wood. The potential for hurting yourself is very real, and I don't want to have to worry about them coming apart at the wrong time. The 100¥ is silly, but, say, 60¥ would be pretty reasonable.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Feb 12 2005, 02:26 PM)
Have you ever used nunchaku?  I'm comfortable with my $5 training pair because they're made of foam and pvc, but I wouldn't trust them if they were made of wood.  The potential for hurting yourself is very real, and I don't want to have to worry about them coming apart at the wrong time.  The 100¥ is silly, but, say, 60¥ would be pretty reasonable.

Yes I've used nunchaku before, both foam practice ones and hardwood w. connecting chain. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I've definitely logged a number of hours in nunchaku practice.

My point still stands. Even if you don't trust a cheap pair it dosen't mean you can't use them two or three times to beat someone down. Would you want to use a cheap pair to try and parry someone swinging a stick at you repeatedly? No, probably not. Would you want to keep your cheap pair after completeing a shadowrun where you beat down 5 people with it? Well, if you can afford to it would be better to get a new one, or just switch to one of your replacement cheap pairs. But a cheap pair can still be perfectly functional in the short run.

It's like a cheap made-in-China stainless steel balisong. You can buy something like that for maybe 20 dollars from a store (cheaper than the 30 nuyen for the Knife from SR3, incidentally). So, we have a sharp stainless steel balisong. IF I keep this balisong for like a year and I'm always practicing my passes on it, might not the really cheap rivets holding the balisong together come undone causing the blade to go flying across the room or possibly into me? Yes. But can a 20 dollar balisong make someone very dead in a vicious attack? Yes, no worse than a high quality balisong if we're talking about the first or second use. (Furthermore, traditionally balisong weren't even always high quality anyway.)

The inflated prices make a difference when you consider that some really poor characters will have 500 nuyen starting cash, and when you consider how the price of some of these weapons is multiplied by street index or things like that.

150 nuyen manrikigusari with a street index of 2 is offensively stupid, for example. Why would anyone pay around 300 nuyen for a short length of chain with a small weight on either end? Why should this very simple tool potentially eat up 150 nuyen out of 500 nuyen of starting cash of a really poor character? All that you need to make a perfectly servicable manrikigusari is to go to a hardware store, buy two cheap padlocks, and a short length of chain. That is never ever going to add up to anything like 150 nuyen in terms of price and I can hardly imagine there being a street index on that sort of thing.

My only conclusion is that the authors of CC got ripped off in Chinatown tourist traps too many times when buying martial arts weapons that were festooned with red tassels and had drawings of dragons all over them.
Arethusa
Or that they just made things up because their knowledge of what they were writing about started and ended with bad movies, which explains just about the entire CC.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
All that you need to make a perfectly servicable manrikigusari is to go to a hardware store, buy two cheap padlocks, and a short length of chain.

Ignoring the fact that you've got a point about them being overpriced, I can't begin to imagine how horribly weighted these would be. You and I clearly have different definitions of "perfectly servicable".

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 12 2005, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 12 2005, 02:37 PM)
All that you need to make a perfectly servicable manrikigusari is to go to a hardware store, buy two cheap padlocks, and a short length of chain.

Ignoring the fact that you've got a point about them being overpriced, I can't begin to imagine how horribly weighted these would be. You and I clearly have different definitions of "perfectly servicable".

~J

Well a lot of manrikigusari techniques have to do with entangling, strangulation, and throwing following an arm entanglement rather than chainwhipping. Your percussive attacks might be a little bit akward but most of your repetoire would be perfectly workable, since the cheap padlocks in that case would be there mostly to help you have a really firm grip on the ends of your chain. And akward or not you could still certainly chain whip someone most injuriously with your padlocks if you absolutely had to; it's not like swinging a padlock at the end of a chain at someone is harmless.

Arethusa: if this board had a Reputation/Karma system, I'd +rep you for your awesome quip.
Kagetenshi
It's true, but the name itself comes from the many uses of the weapon. You cut out quite a few uses by making one entire avenue of attack extremely awkward.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Hmm, I suppose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012