Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Katana By An Other Name
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bigity
QUOTE (mfb)
you know, they used to test bo staves by seeing how many criminals' corpses a warrior could shove the point through at one time. the best bo staves were made of wood which had been folded upwards of 1,000 times.

Nah, it's because the Japanese have much better wood and the crafters really took pride in finding just the right stick to stick a cap on each end and make it super bad-ass.

The really good ones would crack a skull if you just held the staff out and dropped a head on it.
Aku
i thought the bo was a shorter staff, say about 3/4s to your height, and the staff was slightly long, by about a foot or so over your head? am i just letting hollywood get to me again?
Kagetenshi
Bo staves are supposed to be somewhere between six inches shorter than you and four inches taller. Mine, for reference, is about half an inch taller than I am, one inch thick in the middle tapering to three-quarters of an inch at either end.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (DrJest)
A lot of people, myself included, have issues with (as I believe it was stated on another thread recently) the whole "Katanas come from Japan. Therefore Katanas are Cool. Therefore Katanas do more damage" setup.

Remember, SR was started in the 80s, when everyone was terrified of the Japanese economy and predicted that Japan would take over the world due to its inscruitable and all powerful "asian values".

For this reason, "It's Japanese, therefore it's better" is perfectly acceptable in the context of Shadowrun. Think of the katana as a symbolic representation of 1980s "asian values" shtick slicing apart the self-esteem of us westerners. biggrin.gif
U_Fester
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (DrJest @ Feb 10 2005, 07:55 AM)
A lot of people, myself included, have issues with (as I believe it was stated on another thread recently) the whole "Katanas come from Japan. Therefore Katanas are Cool. Therefore Katanas do more damage" setup.

Remember, SR was started in the 80s, when everyone was terrified of the Japanese economy and predicted that Japan would take over the world due to its inscruitable and all powerful "asian values".

For this reason, "It's Japanese, therefore it's better" is perfectly acceptable in the context of Shadowrun. Think of the katana as a symbolic representation of 1980s "asian values" shtick slicing apart the self-esteem of us westerners. biggrin.gif

Wow, I feel like I need to be laying on a couch and paying you 200 nuyen.gif an hour for this bit of information.
Jrayjoker
Sometimes you people are so weird, I love it!
psykotisk_overlegen
There really is no realistic reason for the increased power of the katana. If you put as much work into a european or middle-eastern style blade you'd end up with an equally efficient weapon. It's not the design, it's becuase katanas used to be very well made, while western blades have been made in all sorts of quality.
Today, or in SR, however, this need not be tha case. Theres no reason why you couldn't change "sword" and "katana" into "cheap sword" and "excellent sword", this should also be done for all the weapon types that come in western and japanese flavour, with the japanese one getting +1 power. claymore-No Dachi, etc.

That is, if you want realism. I personally don't have much of a problem with japanese weapons being better. Although seeing everyone using katanas is a bit dissappointing, they should be using battleaxes.
GentlemanLoser
They should be using Daggers/Knives...

I'm being serious.
JaronK
QUOTE (Aku)
i thought the bo was a shorter staff, say about 3/4s to your height, and the staff was slightly long, by about a foot or so over your head? am i just letting hollywood get to me again?

You're thinking of a Jo, which is a training weapon designed to emulate a sword. The Bo is really just a japanese staff (but, as we know from shadowrun, it's made out of uber-wood).

A katana is a bastard sword, designed for use with either one or two hands.

JaronK
Dancer
QUOTE (JaronK)
[QUOTE=Aku,Feb 10 2005, 03:10 PM]

JaronK

Calling a katana a bastard sword is not entirely accurate, since thrusts are an important part of the use of a bastard sword, whereas the katana relies almost entirely on its edge. But they are both 'hand-and-a-half' swords.
Tarantula
QUOTE (JaronK)
QUOTE (Aku @ Feb 10 2005, 03:10 PM)

You're thinking of a Jo, which is a training weapon designed to emulate a sword. The Bo is really just a japanese staff (but, as we know from shadowrun, it's made out of uber-wood).

JaronK

A bo is usually about your height, within a couple of inches. Bo staves are usually around 1inch thick in the middle and taper down to 3/4inch or 1/2 inch diameter at the ends.

Staves are usually 1 1/2-2 inches diameter in the middle, tapering down to 1 inch on the ends, or just a solid 1 inch the entire length.

Jo Staves are typically 4 feet, of about 1 inch along the length, and not made to emulate a sword. They are considerably more mobile than a bo staff or regular staff, faster, but have less power due to less speed on the ends when striking.

Bo staves do more damage because you have an increased amount of pressure on the ends when you strike with it. Also, because of the tapering, they are considerably lighter and can be brought to faster speeds when striking than a regular staff. Just like when fighting with an escrima stick (rattan) speed of the tip of the weapon is where you get your power. Bo's are considerably faster than staves, as well as having a smaller tip, providing better damage.

BTW, if you don't think that much wood matters, go find a martial arts supply store, pick up a staff (1inch the whole length, or 1-1/2 taper down to 1) and pick up a bo (1 inch middle taper down to 1/2 inch) and tell me the bo isn't considerably lighter.
Cynic project
The Katana is a lot like the lightsaber to most gamers I know. THey think it is the best sword ever. THe sharpest sword ever. That It would cut into full armoured knights,as if they were naked.

The Katana is not better any any note worthily area that many European and middle eastern swords. It is however largely worse than some in one note worthily way. They were for the most part not made of as high of quality metal, as the metallurgy of that area was not as good as other parts of the world. This leads to the false idea that they are better suited at going threw armour than their more western counter part. Note that last armour suits of europe were often so hard that a slashing weapon would be pointless. Hence the fact that knights in the later years used maces hammers and Poleaxes,and not swords. And a well made saber's only fundamental difference,that I know is size. Sabers being smaller.

Funny little note, the term bulletproof comes from the fact that suit of armour were shot with a gun,to see if it would stand up in battle.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Feb 10 2005, 07:26 PM)
The Katana is a lot like the lightsaber to most gamers I know. THey think it is the best sword ever. THe sharpest sword ever. That It would cut into full armoured knights,as if they were naked.

The Katana is not better any any note worthily area that many European and middle eastern swords. It is however largely worse than some in one note worthily way. They were for the most part not made of as high of quality metal, as the metallurgy of that area was not as good as other parts of the world. This leads to the false idea that they are better suited at going threw armour than their more western counter part. Note that last armour suits of europe were often so hard that a slashing weapon would be pointless. Hence the fact that knights in the later years used maces hammers and Poleaxes,and not swords.  And a well made saber's only fundamental difference,that I know is size. Sabers being smaller.

Funny little note, the term bulletproof comes from the fact that suit of armour were shot with a gun,to see if it would stand up in battle.

Unfortunately, as wrong as Katana-Are-Lightsabers is, the internet reactionary Katana-Are-No-Better-Than-European-Swords view is equally sophomoric and in many ways more annoying becase it weighs itself down with pretention.

This is wrong.

Japanese metallurgy was, for a very long time, arguably more advanced than what Europeans had access to (let's leave the Moslem/Arabic traditions out of this, for now). However, the Japanese had far worse natural ore deposits, which is why, despite all smithing skill, they were never able to manufacture their own rifles after trading with the Portugese and Dutch; thus, during the Sengoku Jidai, trading groups were allowed to stick around (aftewrads, things got more— or, perhaps, arguably less— complicated, politically). This is not an issue of metallurgy skill; it is purely an issue of natural resources, and it caused big problems for lots of people well into the last century.

None of this has anything to do with the myth of katana being armor piercing. Katana were armor piercing, in effect, against the armor they were used against, which was almost never full plate mail (though some of this stuff does show up during and after the Sengoku Jidai period). Against soft armor made of bamboo and leather, a solid hit would do rather unpleasant things; adding metal to the mix, which was far more common than is popularly known, was only of limited effectiveness, since a blade could fairly easily just slide along the metal until it hit something easier to cut through, such as bamboo, leather, or unlucky samurai.

Knights in later years (14th-15th century and onwards) did use progressively heavier suits of armor, however this was in many ways because the knights that didn't often got punched full of holes from the introduction of firearms. Yes, slashing weapons essentially become impotent against full suits of heavy plate, however these suits were often never intended for hand to hand combat. You'll notice on late 16th century suits of armor, ridiculously heavy plate ruled the day, but lower legs were often not as armored because cavalry charges through masses of peasant soldiers had given way significantly to open fights with other knights, usually starting with a lot of artillery and pistol volleys.

Maces and hammers did show up, however they were not, as yo usuggest, the weapons of choice for most knights. Further along, melee weapons of choice became more and more specialized for armor penetration (beaked hammers, bec-de-corbins, etc). This is a big subject in and of itself.

Your statement on sabers being only slightly different from katana is essentially wrong in almost every important respect. They were heavier, shorter, one handed, curved very differently, and not used with at all the same movements or style. In The Last Samurai, when Algren (Cruise's character) first picks up a bokken, he actually attempts to use it with saber movements, and if you're familiar with the styles, you'll pick up quickly on why this does not work out very well for him. Suffice to say a hell of a lot more could be written on this.

What I really want to dispell here, since most people already do a good job of dispatching the Katana-Lightsaber crowd, is get rid of the equally ridiculous Oh-Folded-Toledo-Steel-Was-Just-As-Good-As-Katana-As-Good-As-A-Bastard-Sword. Neither of these is at all correct, and the realities of the differences between Eastern and Western weaponmaking are generally far more complex than most such silly internet debates ever sufficiently acknowledge.

Remember, kids: the best samurai were folded over 30,000 times and were immortal but there's only one now because he's from Scotland and all the other ones fell through the Earth when they took off their shoes.
hobgoblin
the most important question about the whole debate is by how big a factor better or worse it was. most likely it was in there area of .1-.9 better then european swords that it would make sense to compare it with (ie used for much the same reasons). outside of that, fighting style and so on starts to muddy the waters so fast that it become a shouting match.

basicly, unless we can boil this down to numbers then the entire debate becomes a war of words, points and counterpoints, that will only stop when everyone have burned out.

hmm, didnt someone allready point out the number of times this topic have come up and died, only to rise again? its becomeing more troublesome then some vampires...
Cynic project
maybe we should add the best weapon, the dikoted Are.....
Slamm-O
...s monosword

(how about dikoting vibroblades? which page forbids this? as im sure one must)
hobgoblin
just hand me that dikoted sexy-looking air elemental nyahnyah.gif
JaronK
QUOTE (Dancer)
[QUOTE=JaronK,Feb 10 2005, 11:06 PM] [QUOTE=Aku,Feb 10 2005, 03:10 PM]

JaronK [/QUOTE]
Calling a katana a bastard sword is not entirely accurate, since thrusts are an important part of the use of a bastard sword, whereas the katana relies almost entirely on its edge. But they are both 'hand-and-a-half' swords.

I was refering to the exact definition of a bastard sword, namely a sword which is designed for use with either one hand or with two. The standard European bastard sword is obviously different from the japanese bastard sword, though.

JaronK
Arethusa
I imagine it would have to be, as there is no such thing as a Japanese bastard sword.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, didnt someone allready point out the number of times this topic have come up and died, only to rise again? its becomeing more troublesome then some vampires...

You've been registered here longer than I have, and you're only now recognizing this? It's kind of the Dumpshock raison d'ętre.
Crusher Bob
There was a new imporved invis thread that started a few days ago as well... Guess I'll have to look in it and see if anything novel shows up.
kevyn668
<holds breath> wink.gif
Toshiaki
I'm a noob here and I've already learned proper fear of some of these threads.

Now that I think about it, that invis "discussion" might actually be the one that instilled such terror in me. I'm going to go hide now. eek.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Toshiaki)

Now that I think about it, that invis "discussion" might actually be the one that instilled such terror in me.  I'm going to go hide now.  eek.gif

Welcome to the 'Shock. Your Dikoted AVS Ally Spirit is on the way. You may have sex with it if you so choose.

Seriously, relax. Say what you think. Its okay. smile.gif
Toshiaki
QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Toshiaki)

Now that I think about it, that invis "discussion" might actually be the one that instilled such terror in me.  I'm going to go hide now.  eek.gif

Welcome to the 'Shock. Your Dikoted AVS Ally Spirit is on the way. You may have sex with it if you so choose.

Seriously, relax. Say what you think. Its okay. smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome, my only question is does that bright and shiny DAVSAS™ come with a complementary monowhip weapon focus?

My wording was perhaps a bit off. The fear is not of opening my mouth (even if nothing useful come out), but more of a realization that there are certain subjects which people need to agree to disagree on. That being said, many times people won't come to that understanding and will continue to argue against a brick wall (which is doing much the same). Upon reading some of the posts in said thread, I wagered a guess that it was one of those times.

Of course, the plethora of comments in thread about "Oh god! Not another imp inv discussion" helps speed that thought process along. biggrin.gif

All in all, I've very much enjoyed what I've read and hope to be able to contribute interesting material.
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Toshiaki)

That being said, many times people won't come to that understanding and will continue to argue against a brick wall (which is doing much the same). Upon reading some of the posts in said thread, I wagered a guess that it was one of those times.

Be careful about those brick walls. Some people believe that they don't block LOS.

wink.gif
JaronK
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I imagine it would have to be, as there is no such thing as a Japanese bastard sword.

Yes, there is, and it's called a Katana. Just like the Bo was a Japanese staff, and I suppose the No Dachi would be the Japanese version of a halberd.

I was just saying that the weapons were made to be useable in one hand or two, which means they're a bastard sword. They're not the same as the European model, which was heavier and usually blunter, designed to be able to smash against full plate without shattering.

JaronK
Demosthenes
Yes, there is, and it's called a Katana. Just like the Bo was a Japanese staff, and I suppose the No Dachi would be the Japanese version of a halberd.

I was just saying that the weapons were made to be useable in one hand or two, which means they're a bastard sword. They're not the same as the European model, which was heavier and usually blunter, designed to be able to smash against full plate without shattering.

Erm...

wink.gif

A Katana is a hand-and-a-half sword.
A Bastard sword is also a hand-and-a-half sword.
This does not necessarily mean that all katanas are bastard swords.
The differences between the two swords start with appearance, and continue with use and technique. I'm not getting into the armour argument... wink.gif

A Halberd is a polearm. It is superficially (very superficially iirc) similar to the naginata, which is also a polearm.

A No-dachi is closer to a two-handed sword, though still lighter than a nice Lanzenknecht's Langschwert...

Now, if you dikoted a Naginata...
GentlemanLoser
And 'Bastard Sword' was a name invented by the Victorians. In the same way they re labled 'Claymore' to mean the large two handed sword most people attribute the name to today, when a Claymore was originally a single handed sword, usually with a basket hilt...

wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
The differences between the two swords start with appearance, and continue with use and technique.

As it was mentioned in the original post however, the katana = bastard sword manufactured to higher levels of craftsmanship concept originated out of the D20 system, and for its level of detail in abstracting weapon qualities into abstract statistics, the equivalence is not only appropriate, it's one of the best tabletop RPG treatments of the whole western sword vs. eastern sword issue that I've seen.

Demosthenes
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Demosthenes @ Feb 11 2005, 04:33 AM)
The differences between the two swords start with appearance, and continue with use and technique.

As it was mentioned in the original post however, the katana = bastard sword manufactured to higher levels of craftsmanship concept originated out of the D20 system, and for its level of detail in abstracting weapon qualities into abstract statistics, the equivalence is not only appropriate, it's one of the best tabletop RPG treatments of the whole western sword vs. eastern sword issue that I've seen.

Quite right.

I was just adressing the question of terminology outside the Other Game ™ definitions.

As to GentlemanLoser's comments...the word Claymore originates in the Scots gaelic equivalent of Claidheamh More (I speak Irish gaelic, which is slightly different, but overall very, very similar), which literally means "Big sword"...
[ Spoiler ]
JaronK
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
A Halberd is a polearm. It is superficially (very superficially iirc) similar to the naginata, which is also a polearm.

A No-dachi is closer to a two-handed sword, though still lighter than a nice Lanzenknecht's Langschwert...

Sorry, I was getting sleepy. I meant Naginata, but somehow No-dachi came out.

What I meant with the Katana/Bastard Sword thing is that, if a European of the middle ages saw a katana in use, but didn't know what it was called, he'd call it a bastard sword (though a funny looking one that wasn't used right).

*sigh*

Anyway, they're both hand and a half swords, one's the European version, the other is the Japanese version. Obviously, they look different, had different roles, were used differently, etc.

JaronK
Demosthenes
Sorry. Morning. Coffee. Technical translator getting frustrated with German programmers who don't know how to use their own ~~~###@@@ terminology.

smile.gif
Tarantula
QUOTE (JaronK)
Just like the Bo was a Japanese staff.

A bo is a type of staff. Not all staves are bos. Just wanted to make that clear.
Jrayjoker
What separates a Bo from a staff specifically?
Tarantula
As I said in my other post. Bos are thinner in diameter both in the center, as well as tapering down at the ends.

Staves are thicker, and can taper, but don't always.
Nikoli
Umm, teh Claymore was a larg two-hander before it was a one-handed fencing sword.
Scottish lords at the british court wanted to remain in fashion, but retain the Scottish tradition of carrying the largest sword on the "field". So they had the "Claymore" sabre, which is the basket hilt sword you were referring to. The Two-hander was still in use by soldiers on the field while this was becomming popular.
Demosthenes
If you're referring to me, you'll note that I carefully avoided describing just how big a sword the Gallowglasses or Scots used prior to the 18thC...

If you're not, please, carry on. biggrin.gif
[ Spoiler ]
Jrayjoker
I'm sure the people of the 18th century had better things to do than name their swords something fancy, like hitting things with their big swords.
Demosthenes
But did they dikote them?
Tanka
Well, they had to clean, repair and generally take care of their swords.

So while they're working on keeping their swords in working condition, they probably talked.

Not to mention whoever the weaponsmith (or whatever-smith) that originally made one is probably showed it and said "I call it the <insert name here>!"
Daishi
In our group we've always gone with
Shadowrun Sword = Short sword of any type.
Shadowrun Katana = long sword or bastard sword of any type.
Nikoli
Well, big sword applies to either flavor.
Adarael
Well, to be fair...

No-Dachi: 'Field Sword' or 'Battle Sword', depending on whose translation of classical japanese you want to use. Originally non-restrictive on size, it just meant a sword you'd use on the battlefield rather than in duelling, self-protection, or decoration. Became conflated and/or compounded with Odachi during the mid-to-late Edo period.

Odachi: What most people mean when they say 'No-dachi.' Appelation used to define a sword which was on average 15-20 cm longer than the 'standard' sword of the era. The name means 'Honorable sword' or, more appropriately, 'Whoa, SWORD!' (the 'O' before 'dachi' indicates an honorific or respect - it's used to identify big and powerful people/things, as well).

Neither of these swords were 'predecessors to the katana' as some people have said. That would be the generic appelation 'tachi', the earliest of which were nearly identical to early Chinese straightswords.

Use of an Odachi? Anti-cavalry, in the same manner as any other long-ass weapon or polearm. Usually not used for much else except symbolically, or as gifts to lords/shrines. Why? They were way hard to make, even compared to the level of effort that went into other Japanese weapons of the era.

In Summation?
The Gaelic for Claymore and the Japanese for Odachi? Mean pretty much the same thing - big honkin' knife.
FrostyNSO
Here ya go boys and girls...you know you wanted it. eek.gif
Kagetenshi
Woah, SWORD!

~J
Ecclesiastes
Unfortunately the No Daichi is listed as a Pole Arm in SR.

edit: And looking at that picture I can see why!
Wounded Ronin
Firstly, thanks to Arethusa for utterly pwning the "wahh wahh 'bastard sword' is the same thing as a katana" people.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (DrJest)
QUOTE (Bigity @ Feb 10 2005, 11:01 AM)
Well, I've seen it used in a novel as well, but it was decidely fiction, Lustbader I think.  Written way before D&D 3rd.

The dai-katana was described in Eric van Lustbader's novel "The Ninja", a classic of 80's fiction - X-rated bodice-ripping action with superninja smile.gif . I believe Nicholas Linnear, the hero, chucks it into a lake at the end. And I am almost embarrassed I remember that kind of detail about it eek.gif

What Lustbader's qualifications are for realism in his novels I couldn't tell you. I was a hormonal teenager when I read the Linnear series and tend to remember the hot sex scenes twirl.gif

His sex scenes were *ridiculous*. They were so stupid I couldn't stop laughing. My goodness, I read Lustbaeder in the library just to snigger at the ninja shtick.
Edward
I took sword to mean anything from about 16-20 inches blade length and katana to represent anything from 21-30 inches. What the system lacks is stats for swords between that and a great sword. The truly massive swords that required tactics like half sword style in confined spaces. I would have put there lack of presence down to the fact that they re far to difficult to conceal but pole arms got in. I would love to play a troll sword adept that pulls out a 12’ blade any time guns with conceal “not on your life” would be appropriate.

For the purpose of SR we can consider traditional procedures and steels irrelevant, all blades will be made using a material that works best from the range of materials available. Probably a variant on stanes steel, or I wonder what an aluminium/tungsten alloy would do.

When all knowledge of working metal is equalised it will come down to the skill in the blade shape you have in your hand, your ability to recognise your opponents style and the size of the sword (excepting close combat mauver, bigger = better)

As to dicoating the katana, judging by games I have played in PCs and NPCs (inc module NPCs) gives me the impression that a dicoat katana is of the shelf merchandise.

On the katana = bastard sword line.

From what little I know the only definition for a European bastard sword was hand and a half, there where many variations requiring different techniques to use well. The only traits shared by all bastard swords it hand and a half grip and 1-2 edges. Where a tournament to be held requiring the use of a bastard sword a samurai would be eligible to enter with his katana because it has all the traits of a bastard sword. (assuming they didn’t get xenophobic and say he couldn’t enter because he wasn’t a knight)

The terms short sword, long sword and great sword where all simarly loose. With a large number of styles within.

Edward
Wounded Ronin
Eh, the martial arts weapons in SR are messed up anyway. Most of them are way overpriced, since most of them are basically pieces of wood. (i.e. the nunchaku, 3 section staff, etc.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012