Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On my Board
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Weredigo
[QUOTE]From teleportation, to the ripoff of WoD, to the "rolling percentile for Karma", to the 20 Attribute base, I see very little that involves any sort of Realism in the campaigns that you've described. Every time I read them, I think "This person really needs to play Rifts". [QUOTE]

Teleportation involves Magic, which is the ability to cast Spells which Bend the laws of Physics.

"rolling of percentile for Karma" is what my GM did, and what I do, mainly for well developed characters who usually last for more then half a run.

I'm not sure if yer aware of this but I've only described one campaign. Evertime I read a reaction like this to one of my posts I think to myself "open foot, insert mouth". I wonder how many of you actually stop and think things through before you react to them. Also I've decided to stop gunking up the posts with clarifications and reiterations. So I've decided to start this topic. <sigh> and now that the toothache has been calmed by the pain killers, I think I'm gonna head for the sack.
mfb
good point, man. i feel you.

edit: bah, he actually posted something, ruining my hilarity.
Scratch
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 22 2005, 03:33 AM)
Teleportation involves Magic, which is the ability to cast Spells which Bend the laws of Physics.

"rolling of percentile for Karma" is what my GM did, and what I do, mainly for well developed characters who usually last for more then half a run. 

I'm not sure if yer aware of this but I've only described one campaign.  Evertime I read a reaction like this to one of my posts I think to myself "open foot, insert mouth".  I wonder how many of you actually stop and think things through before you react to them.  Also I've decided to stop gunking up the posts with clarifications and reiterations.  So I've decided to start this topic.  <sigh> and now that the toothache has been calmed by the pain killers, I think I'm gonna head for the sack.

Teleportation is one of those things that are expressly forbidden in the magic rules, specifically : Sorcery cannot bend the time/space continuum. So you've chosen to break that part of the system, that's a house rule.

Rolling percentile for Karma may be what your GM does, but it severely affects the growth and strength of your character and affects the overall power level of the campaign. Anything from 0 to 100 Karma per run sounds quite munchkinish, unless you meant something else.

Again, it's not wrong to run a high-powered game (I played a high powered DnD game for 2 years in middle school). It's not wrong to play with house rules. But there are a lot of things that you describe that are incongruent with the Sixth World, that may be much better served by a game like GURPS Shadowrun or Rifts.

My suggestion, in order to make your case, is to start describing your other campaigns and experiences with Shadowrun. I don't know about others, but I can be taught, and I can change my mind if presented with a logical and consistent argument.
Aes
Weredigo. No offense intended but do you ever stop and worry that perhaps you're making very little sense at all? wink.gif
Arethusa
Too many painkillers, 'digo, if such a thing is indeed possible. This thread needs to die.
Aes
There is no such thing as too many painkillers.
Weredigo
Teleportation is one of those things that are expressly forbidden in the magic rules, specifically : Sorcery cannot bend the time/space continuum. So you've chosen to break that part of the system, that's a house rule.

A house rule that was never expressed to me, and that I didn't see written in my Core Rules Book.

The spells we dissallow are Turn to Goo. reason, put onto the ground a book, and a stone, cast spell, both book and stone are turned to goo, when you drop spell the book and stone occupy the same space at the same time, congrats, you've just blown off 90 percent of the earth.

Weredigo. No offense intended but do you ever stop and worry that perhaps you're making very little sense at all? 

None taken, some things I say can be understood right off the bat, other things, you just hafta let mull over in your mind for a bit. A few things might make absolutely no sense at all. If the powers that be meant for us to understand each other one hunneret percent, all the time, perfectly, we all would have been born with Telepathic Broadcast and Reception.

a little humor on Teleportation.

I teleported Home one night
with Ron, and Sue, and Meg
Ron stole Meggy's heart away
and I got Suzy's Leg.

Too many painkillers, 'digo, if such a thing is indeed possible. This thread needs to die.

There is no such thing as too many painkillers.

Especially when you have an Abscessed tooth and Infection.

Arethusa, you don't like it, ignore it.
Kagetenshi
Someone else reads Asimov, I see.

Edit: I'm an idiot, that was DNA. Similar to Asimov's humor in this particular instance, though.

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Weredigo)
A house rule that was never expressed to me, and that I didn't see written in my Core Rules Book.

Teleportation doesn't exist in the Core Rule Book either, for this reason. If you want to look up the limitations of spells and spell design, go to Magic in the Shadows (which frankly should be in the Core Rule Book... maybe in SR4).
Weredigo
Kage, that was from Adams, not Asimov.
Kagetenshi
I realized that shortly after posting. See edit.

~J
Fortune
Edit: Nevermind! ohplease.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Weredigo)

It's not a house rule, what you're doing is. Where'd you get the stats for a Teleport spell? Not from the main book. Did you create it using MitS (apparently not, or you'd have noticed that MitS specifically states teleportation is impossible)?

So, if it's not in the core book, and it's not done via MitS, and it specifically contradicts the background...hey, smells like a house rule!

toturi
QUOTE (Weredigo)

Not Canon.

Not Canon.

Not "on my board". Haveaniceday.
BitBasher
The spells we dissallow are Turn to Goo.
... Er, that's all well and good because that spell and ones that work like it havent been in SR since first edition, about what, 10-12 years ago?

And if I may ask, what exactly is "rolling percentile dice for karma"?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (BitBasher)
And if I may ask, what exactly is "rolling percentile dice for karma"?

I took it to mean rolling d100 and adding the results on top of the usual Karma award. What he COULD have meant, though, was rolling a d10 (added on top of the usual Karma award)... which is still way more Karma than I've ever seen distributed outside of a printed run. One of our players used to play in a group who rolled a d6 with the Rule of Six to determine Karma... that wasn't the only thing wrong with the group, and suffice to say, he's now playing with us instead of them.
John Campbell
Leaving aside, for the moment, that what you're playing sounds more like a big mass of poorly-thought-out house rules than like anything that could be called "Shadowrun"... where did you get the phrase "on my board" as meaning "in our game"? I've been gaming for twenty-three years and I've never heard it from anyone but you.
lorthazar
You know every time I see someone say 'Not Canon' I get this picture of a funny little man with a funny mustache typing away at a keyboard.

There is one thing that makes anything a group decides to do 'canon'. I believe it is actually stated in the Core rules that if you don't like how something is done, or a particular ruling that you can ignore it all together.

Now I like most of the rules. A few of the changes from SR2 to SR3 I am not particulary happy about so in my campaign they never happened. Truthfully I can say my campaign is 'canon' in that it holds with the feel of old school ShadowRun.

I'm not saying my campaign decisions are any more or less valid than anyone elses. In fact not even the game developers have that privilege. You (and they) can express your opinion, but it is no more than that.

BTW: My old group used to do a percentage roll for karma. You got you RP reward, humor reward, drama reward, brilliant insight reward, chutzpah reward, and then the GM would set the base Karma reward. You could trade some of your other karma rewards for a 20% bonus (each point) on the die (open ended)and then you could roll the percentile dice and see how much of the base reward you got.
tisoz
How is turning a book and rock to goo, then dropping the spell cause them to occupy the same space at the same time and cause the end of the world? Wouldn't the goo mix together and take up a total volume equal to the combined volume of the book and rock? Dropping the spell when they are mixed together would result in a rock with pieces of book mixed through it and a book with pieces of rock mixed through it. It would take up space equal to the space of the rock plus the space of the book.

And who is to say that the goo doesn't draw back upon itself to reform into the book and the rock? That was how we used to play it when cast upon a person. They didn't reform into a bunch of random flesh strewn about the floor.
Kagetenshi
Moreover, though it's popular to assume it would, who is to say that two objects occupying the same space at the same time would cause any sort of explosion? More likely the individual objects would be ripped apart as bits of the component atoms attracted and repelled each other, but from the outside it would probably be a fairly calm-looking process.

~J
BitBasher
Actually, they would never occupy the same space. They could possibly comingle but that't not the same thing. You'd end up with a screwed up book and a screwed up rock both stuck to each other.
Herald of Verjigorm
Even a basic knowledge of chemistry will teach you that the primary component in matter is nothing. The secondary component are the interatomic magnetic fields, and the lesser components are the bits that appear solid when observed with best technology, but are also mostly empty in every mathematically sound model.

Even assuming that somehow the goo is immune to material physics (and for some reason doesn't immediately sink into the earth), dropping the spells has very little chance of getting two atomic nuclei to overlap. If somehow that still did happen, and the two overlap well enough that they don't just fly apart from each other, you have successfully fused two atoms, and released a tiny amount of thermal energy and radiation.

If more sci-fi authors had a basic understanding of science, pathetic statistically impossible assumptions like that wouldn't propogate themselves.
Cray74
QUOTE (Weredigo)
The spells we dissallow are Turn to Goo. reason, put onto the ground a book, and a stone, cast spell, both book and stone are turned to goo, when you drop spell the book and stone occupy the same space at the same time, congrats, you've just blown off 90 percent of the earth.

And what "science" fiction book told you that?

When you get atoms to pack together closely, they just rebound and release the energy that packed them together initially. (The like charges of the subatomic particles repel.) There's no new energy coming out of the spring back.

Now, for each gram you're trying to pack to an unnaturally high density (as might be done in a nuclear bomb, where densities get 2-4x higher than natural fissionables exist), you usually need 1 or more grams of high explosives, so the "spring back" can involve a sizable bang.

If the materials packed together are, say, plutonium or deuterium, you might get a small nuclear explosion, but that's still not going to take off 90% of the Earth's mass.

Frankly, I don't think you're going to get an explosion. I think when the goo-book turns back to a solid book, it's going to be warped and distorted around the stone. (Which is why "turn to goo" was probably dropped like a "stone." I know the first time my friends and I used it on a security guard, someone said, "Start throwing scoops of goo away, then drop the spell!") And the spell isn't going to supply the energy to blast 90% of the Earth off.
DrJest
I would have assumed that, if anything, the book and stone might have melded together in some form. I'm not sure what your rationale for assuming an explosion of antimatter-esque proportions is.

Incidentally, all-time great uses for Turn to Goo: swift and no-pain stripping of cyberware from corpses (I forget how this worked, although it was explained to me at the time... something about the cyberware having higher resistance than the body). Yech...
Weredigo
What's the rationale behind handing out butt-loads of Karma, and then having to totally retool the entire pricing system to accomodate and balance it? Why not just use the normal Karma rules in the first place?

The smiles on the player's faces and the Improvment of thier Tactical Planning and a more profound sense of dedication from them.
where did you get the phrase "on my board"

My GM used it quite a bit. he'd be about 35 now and he'd been shadowrunning since he was in his teens. Some actual game, Some IRL...
How is turning a book and rock to goo, then dropping the spell cause them to occupy the same space
Because both Items after spell is cast are now Goo, drop spell and it tries to seperate into book/rock, but either some particles wind up inhabiting same space, or there is a collision at high velocity. either way, big boom.

Safe to say we don't use it.
Synner
Are you sure you don't mean "at my table"?
BitBasher
Turn to go doesn't even exist in SR anymore...
lorthazar
QUOTE (lorthazar @ Feb 22 2005, 11:57 AM)
You know every time I see someone say 'Not Canon' I get this picture of a funny little man with a funny mustache typing away at a keyboard.

There is one thing that makes anything a group decides to do 'canon'. I believe it is actually stated in the Core rules that if you don't like how something is done, or a particular ruling that you can ignore it all together.

Now I like most of the rules. A few of the changes from SR2 to SR3 I am not particulary happy about so in my campaign they never happened. Truthfully I can say my campaign is 'canon' in that it holds with the feel of old school ShadowRun.

I'm not saying my campaign decisions are any more or less valid than anyone elses. In fact not even the game developers have that privilege. You (and they) can express your opinion, but it is no more than that.

BTW: My old group used to do a percentage roll for karma. You got you RP reward, humor reward, drama reward, brilliant insight reward, chutzpah reward, and then the GM would set the base Karma reward. You could trade some of your other karma rewards for a 20% bonus (each point) on the die (open ended)and then you could roll the percentile dice and see how much of the base reward you got.

OMG eek.gif , I said something and nobody has attacked me over it yet. It's the seventh sign! RUN! RUN! rotfl.gif
Austere Emancipator
lorthazar you suck! Your ideas are crap!
Cray74
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Because both Items after spell is cast are now Goo, drop spell and it tries to seperate into book/rock, but either some particles wind up inhabiting same space, or there is a collision at high velocity. either way, big boom.

I'll repeat: you won't get much of a bang at all. Maybe a few grams of TNT. I recommend using a grenade or combat spell for a more impressive boom.

I suppose if you dropped the gooey book on soft sand, you could say it damaged the Earth's surface by denting the sand...
lorthazar
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 22 2005, 03:45 PM)
lorthazar you suck! Your ideas are crap!

Finally! I was so worried. I was sure the Lamb of God was gonna start opening the seals.
Fortune
I thought about saying something about your definition of canon, but figured we'd covered this recently and there was no real need.

Actually, I just expected someone else to do it. biggrin.gif
Toshiaki
QUOTE (Weredigo)

What's the rationale behind handing out butt-loads of Karma, and then having to totally retool the entire pricing system to accomodate and balance it? Why not just use the normal Karma rules in the first place?

The smiles on the player's faces and the Improvment of thier Tactical Planning and a more profound sense of dedication from them.

You know, I had the same thing happen with some of my players that I took from a D&D group in high school. I just multiplied all the karma rewards and costs by 10. Everything worked out the same, but the got to hear nice big numbers. Course, a year later when someone finally bought thier own copy of the book I had a few interesting questions, but by then I already had them hooked on the game.

QUOTE (Weredigo)

Yes, but this has already had a counter-arguement applied to it. Restating it doesn't change the fact that science does not agree with it. I've taken more physics than I care to think about, and like the others, I can assure you that this is not how it would behave.

QUOTE (lorthazar)
OMG eek.gif , I said something and nobody has attacked me over it yet. It's the seventh sign!  RUN! RUN!  rotfl.gif

I have a large trout, would you like me to slap you around with it?
Arethusa
Hey, guys, remember how I said this thread needed to die?

Like I always am, I was right.
Jrayjoker
Haven't you ever kept a thread alive out of sheer perversion?

And regarding the Goo spell, I can mix all kinds of crap together without vilolating the two objects - one space rule. Take a nice bowl of jello for instance. And if I were really really patient, I could get the water back out without blowing up the continental USA.
Arethusa
That's just what the terrorists want you to think. You're not a terrorist, are you?
Ecclesiastes
*calls Homeland Security*
kevyn668
"Thank you fro calling Homeland Security. Please choose from one of the following selections: If you are calling about a dirty bomb, press 1. If you are calling about a poisoned resevoir, press 2. If you are calling about Dumpshock...again, press 3. If you are calling..."
Toshiaki
Ooh, we get our own number!

*Runs off to the phone*
*3*
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (Toshiaki)
QUOTE (Weredigo)

You know, I had the same thing happen with some of my players that I took from a D&D group in high school. I just multiplied all the karma rewards and costs by 10. Everything worked out the same, but the got to hear nice big numbers. Course, a year later when someone finally bought thier own copy of the book I had a few interesting questions, but by then I already had them hooked on the game.

QUOTE (Weredigo)

Yes, but this has already had a counter-arguement applied to it. Restating it doesn't change the fact that science does not agree with it. I've taken more physics than I care to think about, and like the others, I can assure you that this is not how it would behave.

QUOTE (lorthazar)
OMG eek.gif , I said something and nobody has attacked me over it yet. It's the seventh sign!  RUN! RUN!  rotfl.gif

I have a large trout, would you like me to slap you around with it?

Grey? That you?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Synner)
Are you sure you don't mean "at my table"?

Probably comes from board gaming.

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
I thought about saying something about your definition of canon, but figured we'd covered this recently and there was no real need.

Actually, I just expected someone else to do it. biggrin.gif

eek.gif
Toshiaki
QUOTE (SpeedFreak)
Grey? That you?

Sorry, but this is the only nick I've used on these forums.

I will do impersonations if you'd like though. talker.gif
Kagetenshi
Grey is Ecclesiastes now, as you may have noticed over in the names thread.

~J
JaronK
Wendigo, I'd like you to try something. Take two large cubes of ice. Place them both in a pan and turn on the heat. You should soon see them "turn to goo" and meld into each other. Now take the pan and put it in the freezer. As it resolidifies, RUN! IT'S GONNA BLOW UP THE EARTH!

JaronK
Kagetenshi
To be fair, when the ice resolidifies it doesn't spring back into cube form.

~J
Diesel
Also, it's not on pain pills rendering it completely incoherent.
JaronK
It's still a solid, turning into a liquid, then mingling with another ex-solid in liquid form, then returning to a solid state. On the atomic level, it's really no different.

JaronK
Tarantula
So we can now conclude that you would end up with a chunky rock/book solid mixture, of no real worth, but it might make a decent improvised club or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012