Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On my Board
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JaronK
Of course, then you could have a character with the clubs skill, specialized to (weird hybrid goo objects), and kick arse.

JaronK
Kanada Ten
Why wouldn't the Goo separate into the two objects? Book atop Brick by density? After all, the astral template hasn't altered.
kevyn668
Who cares? It didn't make to SR3 for a reason...

Get back to how randomly earning 1-100 KPs is balanced.
Weredigo
<sigh>

The Karma Cost table

1 point to an Att = 100
1 point to a skill, or to purchase a skill starting at 1 point = 10
to drop the TN down by 1 point = 10 ( have one player who does this constantly)
to purchase 1 success = 10
to purchase new spell = 20
to purchase Ressurection = 100 or 1point of willpower.
to save your butt from near total disaster for a D4 roll = 1 point

D4 is rolled
1 = Urkel Moment, yes yer alive but you have another problem
2 = ReRoll chance
3 = Finger of God moment, your survival is Miraculous
4 = Boo Yah, not only are you alive but what you did just gave the opposition a reason to think twice.

If yer still confused, it's not my fault.
Weredigo
It's not a house rule, what you're doing is. Where'd you get the stats for a Teleport spell? Not from the main book. Did you create it using MitS (apparently not, or you'd have noticed that MitS specifically states teleportation is impossible)?

Listen to the experts, they'll tell you it's impossible, then go do it.
Nothing is Impossible, in any role playing game, Improbable, highly unlikely, infeasable maybe but not impossible, that's why we let Dice decide certain situations.
I believe it is actually stated in the Core rules that if you don't like how something is done, or a particular ruling that you can ignore it all together.

and it is in this spirit that this topic was started, I find a few things in the Core Rule Book either way too complicated, or totally realistic IMHO.
Sorcery cannot bend the time/space continuum.

if the Core Rule book states that then I still disagree with it. To me it's unrealistic. Magic does not work via the laws of physics, it bends, twists, ties it into a knot, tweaks it. At least that's how I view magic and use it.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Weredigo)
Nothing is Impossible, in any role playing game, Improbable, highly unlikely, infeasable maybe but not impossible, that's why we let Dice decide certain situations.

The game has rules, breaking these rules is not an accomplishment, it is at best a house rule. The GM can decree whatever the GM wants, but know that those are house rules, and inspire no respect or awe out of this group of nit picking sadistic cynics.
Smiley
QUOTE (Weredigo)

Ok, then. Let's see you roll for teleportation.
Diesel

So, you get one to one hundred of these per run? Your team must fuck up a lot in that case, the book only allows for one per character, at the cost of all (the much harder to earn kind) karma.

Actually, the way you write...
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 23 2005, 12:25 AM)
if the Core Rule book states that then I still disagree with it.  To me it's unrealistic.  Magic does not work via the laws of physics, it bends, twists, ties it into a knot, tweaks it.  At least that's how I view magic and use it.

Part of the appeal of the Shadowrun Sorcery system is precisely the fact that it's a science and an art. It's not a panacea or a deus ex machina... it has rules that govern it and apply universally. While said rules are often expanded and discussed in various sourcebooks, the key element of Shadowrun magic is that it follows an internal consistency that lends itself to a more realistic interpretation of magic... something that is almost necessary in a near-future game that hinges on verisimilitude.

You are using a house rule magic system. That's okay. But it's not Shadowrun Sorcery. Granted, there are other ways of representing magic other than spells (Spirits, metaplanes, those funky places in Australia come to mind). But a "Teleport spell" just breaks the rules, without any thought of the negative consequences. If you have it, odds are a corporation has it as well. Leave a ritual sample behind, and they can just retrieve you at their whim, or teleport to your location, whichever is more convenient for your version of reality. Corporations wouldn't need Shadowrunners... they just would send in Strike Teams, and if they got in trouble, they can teleport out. Or teleport in, steal the goods, teleport out (you can't ward everything). It becomes less of a game of Shadowrun and more like Stargate or Star Trek.
mfb
so, it's unrealistic to you, because it's too realistic? maybe you should go back to raving wildly, instead of trying to use actual logic. stick to what you're good at, y'know?
FrostyNSO
Ha! I had a PC who was trying to unravel the mystery of teleportation. It was great. He spent all his downtime working on this, piecing together obscure bits of lore, read huge theoretical physics textbooks. He was actually considered downright mad by most of the people he talked to. It consumed him.

But alas, when he finally stumbled upon the secret, he hadn't fully worked out the formula. We still wonder whatever happened to that guy...

But I'd say teleportation has a place in any game =) But maybe that's because we had the good, entertaining experience with it above.
Sabosect
Never actually did this, but my GM related a tale of his group seeking an ancient mage who had discovered the secret of teleportation. After more than two years (real time) of seeking him, they finally found him on one of the planes and asked him how he unravelled the secret of teleportation. After he demonstrated the secret, the players all thumped their heads on the table in unison at how obvious it was and how they had been duped. For, you see, they had just discovered the inventor of the wagon.
Kagetenshi
I personally prefer searching to unravel the mysteries of teleportation when such is truly not possible.

~J
Glyph
Weredigo, it's not that this board is a bunch of crusty rules lawyers who snarl at anything that isn't canon. House rules are frequently brought up, debated, and refined by other posters.

But this is a community like any other - it has certain unwritten rules that most people eventually pick up. Let me give you a head start on that:

First of all, it's considered polite, when talking about rules, to clearly state when you are using or applying a house rule. Generally, you can say "My house rule is that..." or "In my game, I run it this way...", or something like that. Your GM may have used the term "On my board", but as you may have noticed, that term is not used by anyone else here, so it makes it harder for people to see that you are talking about house rules. There are two reasons we do this. First of all, without having the common set of rules as at least a starting point, it's really hard to follow what someone is trying to say (the whole "rolling percentiles for Karma" thing illustrates this). Secondly, we do get a lot of newbies on the boards, who are trying to figure out the rules, and when people talk about house rules as if they were regular rules, it can wind up really confusing them.

Second of all, when you post ideas, people will nitpick them. It's not malicious - if you post an idea, you should expect feedback. Some people put up ideas as a "here's something you can use in your campaign, take it or leave it" thing, but most people put ideas up to be checked for anything game-breaking or unbalancing about them. So if you post an idea, and don't let people know that it's part of your personal set of house rules, they will be distracted by what seems, with the limited information they have been given, to be a game-breaking idea. Like the deal with the djinn. Stats of 20 might mean something different in your game - in the canon rules, 20 is the kind of stat you would expect on a great dragon. But if the other posters aren't told anything more - like, maybe you multiply all stats by 3 for everything - then they will be focused mainly on the perceived "imbalance" rather than on the meat of the idea itself.

Hope this was helpful! smile.gif
Weredigo
It has helped an itsy bit, and I have tried the "In my game", and I do appreciate constructive criticism and good advice. However some responses have been out right Malicious, Rude, and not very well thought out. If the Idea posted is gonna be nitpicked, fine, given a "House Rule" explanation or a canon way that it could fit. My main problem is when people constantly just berate the idea. So it's not part of Shadowrun the way you see it, so look at it from a few different perspectives. Or if I'm just gonna be treated like a Raving Looney around here then change my status to Raving Looney so everyone knows to take what I say with a grain (or entier shaker) of salt. To call someone a Fool, is to be a Fool.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Weredigo)
However some responses have been out right Malicious, Rude, and not very well thought out. If the Idea posted is gonna be nitpicked, fine, given a "House Rule" explanation or a canon way that it could fit. My main problem is when people constantly just berate the idea. So it's not part of Shadowrun the way you see it, so look at it from a few different perspectives.

Do not confuse malice with bluntness. Simply because I find this thread whiny, pretentious, and confoundingly senseless does not mean I bear you any real malice, and likewise, I doubt any of the people who find your houserules insane and inappropriate really hate you or wish you any real harm. But you damn well better be ready for people around here to state openly their opinions. Just because it's Shadowrun how you see it doesn't mean anyone else has to like it.

QUOTE (Weredigo)
To call someone a Fool, is to be a Fool.

And only a fool would say such an egregiously foolish thing.
Fortune
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 23 2005, 07:54 PM)
However some responses have been out right Malicious, Rude, and not very well thought out.

Give us some examples of these 'out right Malicious, Rude, and not very well thought out' responses instead of just throwing vague accusations around.
Critias
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 23 2005, 12:25 AM)
It's not a house rule, what you're doing is. Where'd you get the stats for a Teleport spell? Not from the main book. Did you create it using MitS (apparently not, or you'd have noticed that MitS specifically states teleportation is impossible)?

Listen to the experts, they'll tell you it's impossible, then go do it.

Right, but see, this is the part of the conversion wherein your madness is revealed in all its lunatic glory. In the interest of clarifying my quoted-post to the best of my ability, I shall not merely respond with paragraphs and smilies as is the custom "on your board," but with a neatly laid out and lovingly crafted list.

Behold: a chain of events.

One -- You say Teleportation exists in your game.

Two -- It is pointed out to you that Teleportation doesn't exist in official Shadowrun rules, and is, in fact, clearly stated outright (in text, in "ooc" text, not just some character's rambling first person monologue) as being impossible.

Three -- You off-handedly dismiss the impossibility of Teleportation as "a house rule" that no one told you about.

Four -- I clear up the "house rule" term for you, since you apparently have wholly lost all sense of logic, and are declaring that the canon material is a house rule, and your raving delusions are canon. This is, by the by, completely backwards thinking.

Five -- You quote my clarification and reply to it full of delusional grandeur and the fighting American spirit, denying the existance of the word "impossible" in a rousing Superman speech about how, with gumption, elbow grease, and vitamins, there's nothing man-kind can't do. You prove the truth of your words by capitalizing some of them apparently at random, leaving all of us no doubt as to the expired nature of your medication.

Six -- Nanoseconds after reading the post I mention as point five, I realize you have missed the point completely. "Teleportation is impossible in a canon Shadowrun game" is a simple statement of fact. To ignore the "in a canon Shadowrun game" part is you wallowing in delusion and purposefully misreading the statement, in order to then defiantly place your maniacal gaming group on some pedestal for attaining the impossible, instead of accepting the fact they are using a house rule. The point of my post was to clarify that, to explain that you were using a house rule, and nothing more. Instead, fantastically, you somehow turned my proclamations of impossibility into some sort of challenge, then proclaimed your group above such mortal concerns as "rules" and "rulebooks" and "reason," instead of (once again) admitting it's just a house rule.

Seven -- Wholly unrelated to the rest of the chain of events, but I think I smell some bullshit when you brag on how long your GM has been playing. I'm curious as to what you mean by "his teens" because the claim you make about his age, and how long he's been playing (again, dependent upon "his teens" and what that means), he must be Rob Boyle or something, 'cause he started playing Shadowrun before anything was published.

Eight -- I admit I'm just continuing with the numbers trend, again, but this one's related to Seven. I think it's lame to try and brag about how long you've been playing Shadowrun. I think it's lamer to brag about how long your GM has. That's like not only arguing that your dad could beat up my dad, but also/instead twisting and warping the "boast" by just saying "Nyah nyah, my dad's older than your dad." The length of someone's experience with a gaming system has little to do (as is apparent with the quality of your games as you describe them to us) with the quality of that gaming experience -- and the length of someone beside your own gaming experience is even less relevent to the defense of your delusional ways.

And, lo, sirrah. My post may be seen as "rude," but I doubt you can make a "not well thought out" charge stick. Feel free to reply at your leisure. I'm at work, and bored.
vapor
and people wonder why the term "owned" is used on messageboards...

rotfl.gif
Fortune
notworthy.gif
Garland
I dunno, that might've been a full-blown "pwning."
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 22 2005, 11:13 PM)
<sigh> 

The Karma Cost table

1 point to an Att = 100
1 point to a skill, or to purchase a skill starting at 1 point = 10
to drop the TN down by 1 point = 10 ( have one player who does this constantly)
to purchase 1 success = 10
to purchase new spell = 20
to purchase Ressurection = 100 or 1point of willpower.

D4 is rolled
1 = Urkel Moment, yes yer alive but you have another problem
2 = ReRoll chance
3 = Finger of God moment, your survival is Miraculous
4 = Boo Yah, not only are you alive but what you did just gave the opposition a reason to think twice. 

We weren't confused, you just never told us what you were doing before. Its no big deal. Your "board", your rules.

If you like the SR setting and not the Karma rules, groovy. Just don't expect us to know how you set your Karma awards and balance the costs without telling us.

And personally, I don't care if physics is suspended in your world either, that is your biz.
Lindt
Critias, very nice. Truly. I'm impressed. We are not worthy.

Digo. No matter what house rules you use, if it goes completely counter to cannon, its going to get a LOT of flak. Especally when you follow it up with something so left field as your super-modified psudo karma rules.
Jrayjoker
Weredigo,

You obviously enjoy gaming, and your crew seems to enjoy the hybrid/house ruled version of SR that you place before them. But you couldn't argue your way out of a paper bag. Don't stop trying, just get better.

Your ideas are good and interesting, but don't expect us to kiss your ass for having them. Take our responses with as much salt as required. Blow off the jackasses and take the stuff that helps to heart.

That being said, every thread you have started has caught my interest. I may disagree with you, and I may have to work pretty hard to follow your arguments, but I read them.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Critias)
...stuff...

notworthy.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Magic in the Shadows @ 47)
Sorcery cannot alter the fabric of the space/time continuum. Spells cannot directly change distnace or the passage of time. Teleportation and time travel are the holy grails of magical R&D departments the world over, but no one has been able to unravel the knotty problem of affecting space or time with magic. Spells can speed up or slow down processes, such as healing or chemical reactions, and allow subjects to move quickly, but they cannot directly alter time or space.

Now back to your regularly scheduled pissing contest.
Kagetenshi
Interestingly enough, that means that sorcery cannot affect anything with mass.

~J
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

What are you, the physics cop? wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Maaaaaybe smile.gif

~J
DrJest
At the risk of turning this conflagration a notch higher, I should point out that teleportation is only impossible on a PC level. Or more specifically, on a non-Immortal Elf/Great Dragon level. You know what I'm going to say, right? The climactic scene of the Harlequin campaign finishes with both Harley and Ehran teleporting out of the location (leading to an observing mage having a complete hissy fit because she knows this to be "impossible").

(PS: I still think yer forty shades of nuts, Weredigo wink.gif )
mfb
see, that isn't necessarily teleportation. one of them--probably harlequin--could have easily cast Alter Memory on the PCs, just to be mysterious (and to make sure neither he nor ehran are followed). at least, that's what i'd have done, if i were them. so much easier, and less risky, than ripping apart your physical body and shunting it to another place, then going through all the work of re-forming it.
audun
QUOTE (mfb)
see, that isn't necessarily teleportation. one of them--probably harlequin--could have easily cast Alter Memory on the PCs, just to be mysterious (and to make sure neither he nor ehran are followed). at least, that's what i'd have done, if i were them. so much easier, and less risky, than ripping apart your physical body and shunting it to another place, then going through all the work of re-forming it.

Or maybe they just Faded away. Not actual teleporting, but close.
Jrayjoker
Or they were astrally gated.
Kagetenshi
Yep. They didn't teleport, they netherwalked.

~J
Little Bill
Wow. At first I thought "canon" might be too loaded a term to use on this discussion board. Now I think it fits right in with the frenzied paroxysms of zealotry that many of the people on the forum seem to work themselves into at the slightest sign that someone may not be paying attention to all the rules.

Woe be to the Newbie who posts house rules without clearly labelling them "HOUSE RULES"!
Woe to he who does not immediately accept that there are others far more knowledgable than he in the canon of Shadowrun, for he shall be viciously set upon by the sacred keepers of the canon the instant he dares question their authority! And there shall be many who bow down their heads in honor to he who strikes down the Newbie in his folly!
mfb
discussing shadowrun--rules included--is the whole point of the board. if everybody's got a different view of what the rules actually say, then it's impossible to discuss them. defining the terms of a discussion is a fairly basic concept; i'm not sure the people who grasp it easily are the ones who should be woeing.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 23 2005, 02:44 PM)

~J

Cannot alter mass in a way extensive enough to substantially ater time and space.

or

Altering mass counts as an indirect (see the first line of the rules quoted above) manipulation of space/time.

I personally like the first one. I also wouldn't allow any spells that alter gravity.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Little Bill)
Wow. At first I thought "canon" might be too loaded a term to use on this discussion board. Now I think it fits right in with the frenzied paroxysms of zealotry that many of the people on the forum seem to work themselves into at the slightest sign that someone may not be paying attention to all the rules.

Woe be to the Newbie who posts house rules without clearly labelling them "HOUSE RULES"!
Woe to he who does not immediately accept that there are others far more knowledgable than he in the canon of Shadowrun, for he shall be viciously set upon by the sacred keepers of the canon the instant he dares question their authority! And there shall be many who bow down their heads in honor to he who strikes down the Newbie in his folly!

Wow, Ironically you just provided a fantastic argument for the correct use of the word canon. Letting us know something is canon or not sets the framework for the conversation so everyone has a common frame of reference. Thanks! smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Little Bill)

Hey, we already discussed your issue in another thread. Still got that chip on your shoulder?
mfb
the problem is that mass is time and space, in a lot of ways.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mfb)
discussing shadowrun--rules included--is the whole point of the board. if everybody's got a different view of what the rules actually say, then it's impossible to discuss them. defining the terms of a discussion is a fairly basic concept; i'm not sure the people who grasp it easily are the ones who should be woeing.

It's like the DSM-IV (the diagnostic manual for psychiatry)... it's not there to provide a comprehensive listing of all known psychiatric disorders (although Medicare/Medicaid seems to think so). It provides a common frame of reference for psychiatrists to discuss the tools of their trade. It would be a professional and academic oversight to talk about someone who supposedly has Autism in a case study when he really has Asperger Disorder, for instance. No two psychiatric cases are identical, but the groupings help communicate the meaning and intent within the professional setting.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 23 2005, 03:40 PM)

~J

Cannot alter mass in a way extensive enough to substantially ater time and space.

or

Altering mass counts as an indirect (see the first line of the rules quoted above) manipulation of space/time.

I personally like the first one. I also wouldn't allow any spells that alter gravity.

The first sentence is unqualified. Sorcery cannot affect the fabric of space and time. Not sorcery cannot directly affect, nor sorcery cannot affect much.

Conjuring is good to go, however.

~J
Little Bill
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Hey, we already discussed your issue in another thread. Still got that chip on your shoulder?

Aw, I just think a few of you are being pretty hard on the poor guy just because he didn't follow rules of ettiquette he wasn't aware of.
Jrayjoker
We were hard on him because he knee-jerked his responses and claimed to be a master debater without proving it.

Like I said before, his ideas are OK, just not what we expected because of how they were presented.

Like the song says, "You only hurt the ones you love."
Arethusa
QUOTE (Little Bill)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 23 2005, 08:42 PM)

Aw, I just think a few of you are being pretty hard on the poor guy just because he didn't follow rules of ettiquette he wasn't aware of.

Too fucking bad for him. Whining and resorting to logical falacies and personal attacks while draping yourself in robes of pretention makes you an asshole just as much in real life as it does right here.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Little Bill)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 23 2005, 08:42 PM)

We all learn them, one way or another. Some folks prefer to lurk before they leap, staying a wallflower until they are ready to hit the dance floor. Others dive into it like drunk socialites at a soiree, and are surprised when they find out that perhaps the conversation topics and general consensus aren't a mirror of their own.
Cray74
QUOTE (Little Bill)
Wow.  At first I thought "canon" might be too loaded a term to use on this discussion board.  Now I think it fits right in with the frenzied paroxysms of zealotry that many of the people on the forum seem to work themselves into at the slightest sign that someone may not be paying attention to all the rules.

You're leaving out a few antagonizing factors that led to some of the flames in this thread and, as such, your statement is rather off base.

Woe to he who does not immediately accept that there are others far more knowledgable than he in the canon of Shadowrun, for he shall be viciously set upon by the sacred keepers of the canon the instant he dares question their authority!

The usual trigger for a "canon beatdown" is usually not suggesting someone has more or less knowledge than another. The trigger factor is almost always a poor/hostile response to criticism, even when the flamed person has their facts straight and quoted verbatim from canonical works.

But, as I recall, "canon" is a hot-button word for you Little Bill, so I can see where you came up with your post.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
...If somehow that still did happen, and the two overlap well enough that they don't just fly apart from each other, you have successfully fused two atoms, and released a tiny amount of thermal energy and radiation.

If more sci-fi authors had a basic understanding of science, pathetic statistically impossible assumptions like that wouldn't propogate themselves.

Leo Frankowski's book "Conrad's Time Machine" has objects appearing back from a trip through time in a random, peicemeal way. The effects he describes are exactly that.

Not really a good story though, IMO.
Garland
QUOTE (audun)
QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 23 2005, 07:55 PM)

Or maybe they just Faded away. Not actual teleporting, but close.

Or it could be that bizarre illusionary version of teleportation from ED.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 23 2005, 03:40 PM)

~J

or

The first sentence is unqualified. Sorcery cannot affect the fabric of space and time. Not sorcery cannot directly affect, nor sorcery cannot affect much.

Conjuring is good to go, however.

~J

I was going to reply with a quote and a notation that I said first line not first sentence, but I don't want to get into an argument about how something that manifestly does happen in the SR world (sorcery manipulating mass) can't happen because of the rules. Especially since I don't think Kagetenshi was doing anything other than poking a little fun.

I love the rules. They make the game happen for me. When there is a small problem with the way a rule is written or worded, I try out of reflex to make it consitant. It must be due to the fact that I always wanted a No-prize and never got one. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012