Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Art Attack!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
torzzzzz
Can't do people to save my like, but i am quite good at animals and critters!

If i could work out how to post a link i would give you all an example!

Been working on dragons latley as i seem to have them on the brain!

torz x wobble.gif
mintcar
the little button above the text field that says "http://" lets you post a link.
Critias
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
Can't do people to save my like, but i am quite good at animals and critters!

If i could work out how to post a link i would give you all an example!

Been working on dragons latley as i seem to have them on the brain!

(emphasis mine)

When you add a reply, there's a series of buttons just above the space you type in. B, I, U, FONT, SIZE, COLOR, blah blah blah, right? See the buttons?

The one that says "http://" is the one you want to click. It'll make a pop up box appear. The first part of the pop up box, you put in the web address you want to link to ("http://www.google.com"), and the second prompt of the pop up box, you type what you want the link to say ("Google is right here"). Then click OK, and you'll get...

Google is right here.

torzzzzz
Thanks for that! I will pop something on when i get home tonight!

torz x biggrin.gif
Fortune
Or you can do it by hand by typing ...

CODE
[url=http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/]Shadowrun Home Page[/url]

Which gives you Shadowrun Home Page. smile.gif
torzzzzz
Thinking about it if anyone has any critters they want a doodle of let me know and i will have a go!

torz x

( assuming i can get my scanner to work!) biggrin.gif
mintcar
I´m enabeling email notification of replies in this thread.
Kenshi
Alright, firstly, sorry about no sketch yesterday. I was working on a Comissioned piece! It's done now and I've got Critias permission to post it for you here!

Connor is an ex-Tir Ghost and a bad@$$ to boot.

Check him out!

Total Time (pencil & ink): 2 hours 30 mins

>Kenshi
Daegann
> Wow ! Good job again ^^
> Daegann
Weredigo
torzzzzz critter Sketch

An idea I've been thinking about. Turtles. A Paranormal Turtle with the reflexes of a cat. Probably used to research Synaptic Accelleration by studying the differences between it's reflexes and those of a normal turtle. Why not make it a Snapping Boxer. They'd make great pets, and guard animals.

Please... <begging>
Wounded Ronin
Why even do that? Go 80s all the way and annoy your players by making 1980s ninja turtles into important NPCs. Oh gawd, that could even work...heavily SURGED melee physads.
TheQuestionMan
Great Ghost wink.gif

Cheers grinbig.gif

QM
Aes
QUOTE (Kenshi @ Mar 9 2005, 09:34 AM)
Alright, firstly, sorry about no sketch yesterday.  I was working on a Comissioned piece!  It's done now and I've got Critias permission to post it for you here! 

Check him out!

>Kenshi

Ooooooh. Nice one. Yet, for some reason I keep imagining him with a pair of night vision goggles with 3 lenses that glow green wink.gif
Backgammon
Fanpro needs to hire you. Seriously.
Critias
QUOTE (Aes)
QUOTE (Kenshi @ Mar 9 2005, 09:34 AM)
Alright, firstly, sorry about no sketch yesterday.  I was working on a Comissioned piece!  It's done now and I've got Critias permission to post it for you here! 

Check him out!

>Kenshi

Ooooooh. Nice one. Yet, for some reason I keep imagining him with a pair of night vision goggles with 3 lenses that glow green wink.gif

His cyberoptics cost more than a small house. Goggles would be nice for looks, but they'd only be for looks, trust me. wink.gif
Aes
I were just implying he reminded me of Sam Fisher out of Splinter Cell nyahnyah.gif
Kenshi
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I have to address a few questions people have been asking.

1. No, I do not have a website... YET. I'm currently in the process of developing one but it's slow going. I'm a graphic artist by day, illustrator by night. I know, not much of a difference but I spend all my free time either with my wife or drawing. It doesn't leave much room for DESIGNING a website. But fret not, it's coming.

2. Sorry about my lack of sketches this week. Work has been crazy and I've been working thru lunch.

3. There have also been several other DumpShockers who have been doing some really great work on this thread. Thanks for picking up my slack! wink.gif

4. Now that you mention it, Aes, he does have a certain Fisher-esqe quality... smile.gif
Aes
1 - Websites are always nice. But you should probably be duly warned that they cna be hell to maintain. Then again, my experiences are probably with sites a wee bit larger than what an illustrator would need.

2 - I don't think anyone blames you. I, for one, haven't been checkign this thread every 30 minutes every day. Noooo... Not at all.

3 - Yeah. Image goodness is nice. Almost makes me wish I hadn't stopped drawing regularely a few years back to concentrate on programming. :/

4 - Which is a good thing, considering what he's supposed to be wink.gif
Shadowrunner13
QUOTE (mintcar)
Oh goodie. Let me jump in the game here. I made a sketch of Shadowrunner13´s elf chick character, naturally. Here´s Glasgow : sketch

Merci beaucoup, mintcar!

My wife will be thrilled to see her favourite character all drawn up. smile.gif

Very good job!

SR13
Kenshi
:::::QUICK RECAP:::::

Here's a quick summery of all the art that has been posted in the last week or so...

Paul's Sketches 1 2 3

Hermit's rendition of Attilius for Torz X.

Ghoul Troll by Shadow Scholar

The wall-scaling antics of Ian (which is odd because that's my real name!) produced by Super Spy as well as his "progression" art here, here, and here AND Juliana for the Infiltration Challenge thread

Mintcar's sketch of Glasgow for Shadowrunner13

And of course, Tex, Raven, Weredigo, Sebastian St. John, and Connor by Yours Truely.

... more to come...

> Kenshi
Critias
QUOTE (Aes)
I were just implying he reminded me of Sam Fisher out of Splinter Cell nyahnyah.gif

Heh, I know. S'all good. I was just making it clear the goodies are all there, y'just can't see 'em. None of that bulky external stuff -- otherwise he's fairly Fisher-esque, actually, when the mood hits him. I was very pleased with Kenshi's pic, trust me (and told him so)!
mintcar
SR13: So I was right to assume you ment she had a chakram (a sikh throwing ring according to my dictionary)? Glad you like it.

Actually sence I have an important school assignment that can´t wait, I will propably do more sketches. Nothing like boring schoolwork to boost your creativity in other areas. (my apartment is squeaky clean, of course)
Shadowrunner13
QUOTE (mintcar @ Mar 9 2005, 09:01 PM)
SR13: So I was right to assume you ment she had a chakram (a sikh throwing ring according to my dictionary)? Glad you like it.

Yep, you nailed it. Glasgow has this thing with a blade around the rim and an ally spirit within.

It's amazing how much of a pest that ally spirit has become as she's funneled more power into it (speaking from the GM's perspective)... smile.gif

SR13
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Weredigo)
torzzzzz critter Sketch

An idea I've been thinking about. Turtles. A Paranormal Turtle with the reflexes of a cat. Probably used to research Synaptic Accelleration by studying the differences between it's reflexes and those of a normal turtle. Why not make it a Snapping Boxer. They'd make great pets, and guard animals.

Please... <begging>

I will have a go for you, bit more detail would be good, is it normal size or enlarged? etc. Ermm, proberly wont post till sunday as I have to go away over the weekend but watch this space!

should be fun never done a turtle before!

torz x biggrin.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Shadowrunner13)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Mar 9 2005, 09:01 PM)

Yep, you nailed it. Glasgow has this thing with a blade around the rim and an ally spirit within.

It's amazing how much of a pest that ally spirit has become as she's funneled more power into it (speaking from the GM's perspective)... smile.gif

SR13

One of our mages had a rapier infused with an Ally spirit who was a real pain in the butt. He thought he was the reincarnated spirit of Porthos, the Musketeer. He didn't get lippy and belligerent until the mage gave him, as a 'reward', a higher force than the mage's charisma...
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Weredigo)
torzzzzz critter Sketch

Please... <begging>

I had a character in a Harry Potter RPG who had a familar like that. Speedy, the world's fastest desert tortoise. It was great, up until the GM stole him to use as her number one favorite plot device. grinbig.gif
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I had a character in a Harry Potter RPG who had a familar like that. Speedy, the world's fastest desert tortoise. It was great, up until the GM stole him to use as her number one favorite plot device. grinbig.gif

oh dear you need help! Harry potter!

torz x wink.gif biggrin.gif
mintcar
I think I might be the first to try my hand at JaronK´s Antonio Valencio Domingo Shadowpaw. This one was great fun to draw, as it allowed for a lot of creativity. He´s suposed to be a fashion designer and a mage right? Can´t really go over the top there. I made it sort of a tribute to the picture by Janet Aulisio on page 165 in the BBB. (She and Bradstreet are my favourite SR artists). It´s the one that inspired the character in the first place right, Jaron?

I confess to the Photoshop filter cheating, you out there who spot such things. It´s suposed to be quick sketches right? (even though this one took nearly two hours) Antonio
SuperSpy
Nice work, mintcar.
mintcar
Thanks. I´m rather happy with it. Except I missed the fact that it´s an elf character. Half saved the situation by making the ears a little pointier. Still doesn´t look very elven though. Let´s just say this is the way italian-indian elves look like. (mostly thinking about the impish looking ears... time for bed anyways.)
SuperSpy
I think the shape of his ears fits the whole cat-shaman thing nicely.
shadow_scholar
Hey Aes, since Kenshi or anyone else hasn't had a chance to get to Maeva I decided I'd give it a shot, if you don't mind. Here's a rough look at my initial sketch of her: Maeva rough sketch I'm still wondering how she'll look mostly dark because she's a Night One, but I think it might turn out okay. Since you said she has a racing helmet I just assumed she had a bike, too, so I put her on one. Let me know if you want me to continue working on her. If so, it's gonna take me a few days, at least, as I can only sketch in my spare time, which isn't much.
SuperSpy
I like the progress on the bike, Shadow Scholar.

Here is Daegann's Jia. Daegann, if you want to put this picture on your website's gallery, please feel free.
Kenshi
This next sketch isn't really a sketch. It started out that way but I liked where it was going so it became more of a "finished pencils" piece.

Oh, and I WILL be inking this one...

Here is my rendition on Daegann's Jia.

P.S. - The picture is a little big, so make sure you are viewing it at full size.

P.S.S. - If you're wondering, the faint x's are artist short hand for "fill in with black when inking".
Fresno Bob
I suppose I'll throw out a character to maybe get drawn. And maybe if I have some time I'll draw some other people's character. I'm not a terrible artist myself...

The character I have is Jet Jaguar. He's a tall Nordic human, with Billy Idol spiked blonde hair. He usually wears a black leather motorcycle jacket, Agent Smith shades, a t-shirt that says 'BAND', jeans, and motorcycle boots, which he keeps his knife in. He's well muscled, and has a full back tattoo of Godzilla smashing a building. He has two customized motorcycles, and his only gun is a chromed AK-97 SMG with 'Mecha-Godzilla' engraved on it.
Weredigo
I will have a go for you, bit more detail would be good, is it normal size or enlarged? etc. Ermm, proberly wont post till sunday as I have to go away over the weekend but watch this space!

should be fun never done a turtle before!

nah, I think I'd get seriously beaten by players if they were huge... I'm thinking size of Coffee Can or smaller... With really big eyes.

Boxer: shell shuts all the way around...

Snapper: they do have really fast speed with the neck muscles and often strikes like a snake. and when they bite down, they don't let go...

and I'm thinking give it big puppydog eyes, just for gits and shiggles...
Daegann
> Wow ! You two draw of Jia are so cool eek.gif
Thanks a lot !!! smile.gif

If I only have a things to say on Kenshi's draw is that the circle behind the character can be the sun but it make thing she is japanese. So can you (only if it's possible, the draw is already very cool ^^ ) add a curve in the circle as it is the taeguk (the yin-yang in the korean flag).

Anyway, thank you again, so good to see this character on paper ^^
> Daegann
Aes
QUOTE (shadow_scholar)
Hey Aes, since Kenshi or anyone else hasn't had a chance to get to Maeva I decided I'd give it a shot, if you don't mind. Here's a rough look at my initial sketch of her: Maeva rough sketch I'm still wondering how she'll look mostly dark because she's a Night One, but I think it might turn out okay. Since you said she has a racing helmet I just assumed she had a bike, too, so I put her on one. Let me know if you want me to continue working on her. If so, it's gonna take me a few days, at least, as I can only sketch in my spare time, which isn't much.

If your spare time is cramped already, there's no need for you to spend it all on my account. I'm not in any paticular kind of hurry to lay claim on someone elses time away from the grind (ghost knows my own is sparse enough as it is, or I would've dusted off ye olde wacom that's been gathering dust for a good 5 years by now). I'll freely admit my character concept will likely be hell to draw without the convenient magic-glow™ the artist used for his night one B&W rendition on p. 43 of the SR Companion for contrast. Part of the reason I posted it in the first place was seeing the rather bright line drawings of the first few characters Kenshi had sketched in this thread when I read it first and wondering how he'd pull it off. wink.gif

That being said, it's not my place to stop you if you want to contine. The description's up for grabs as much as anyone elses in this thread. Just as long as you don't start pulling out hairs over it because you feel obliged to finish a sketch for a stranger. smile.gif
hermit
Well, since everyone seems to be contributing someone to draw, I'll provide an NPC I can't scetch right and can't find a proper image of either:

Name: John Smith
Archetype: Gunsmith (Mr. J.'s LBB)
Metatype: White human
Description: Noone not knowing the password will even gain access to John Smith, and only a select few contacts will know the password. John Smith sees spies everywhere, be they from "those Washington scum", or, even worse, "the damn Redskins". Yes, he does have a certain paranoia problem. He also sells only to good people, meaning to no Corp men, no Natives, no Satanists and of course no Communists. An interesting thing about him is his absence of prejudice against Metas ("If God didn't want Metas around, he wouldn't have made them, would he?"), so long as they're neitgher commies, redskins, corp men or government spies, that is.
He usually dresses in working clothes and plain shirts, and this old, battered NRA hat his dad gave him once - he always wears this hat, in honor of his dad, who died a hero's death when the 6th airborne cavalry was annihilated by Howling Coyote's Ghost Dance when it tried to retaliate for the annihilation of Los Alamos. He sports a full chin beard and sideburns, looking a bit 19th century, and loves to smoke fat cigars. He also has a large collection of weapons and other memorabilia of America's war of independence.
Just Pete
As an aspiring artist myself (with nowhere near the talent of what's been seen here), I'm curious. What techniques/tools do you use to create these sketches?
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Weredigo)
[nah, I think I'd get seriously beaten by players if they were huge... I'm thinking size of Coffee Can or smaller... With really big eyes.

Boxer: shell shuts all the way around...

Snapper: they do have really fast speed with the neck muscles and often strikes like a snake. and when they bite down, they don't let go...

and I'm thinking give it big puppydog eyes, just for gits and shiggles...

OK Bud! I'm on to It, hope to have something for you by sunday, got to go loads of work to do!

torz x biggrin.gif
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Aes)
If your spare time is cramped already, there's no need for you to spend it all on my account. I'm not in any paticular kind of hurry to lay claim on someone elses time away from the grind (ghost knows my own is sparse enough as it is, or I would've dusted off ye olde wacom that's been gathering dust for a good 5 years by now). I'll freely admit my character concept will likely be hell to draw without the convenient magic-glow™ the artist used for his night one B&W rendition on p. 43 of the SR Companion for contrast. Part of the reason I posted it in the first place was seeing the rather bright line drawings of the first few characters Kenshi had sketched in this thread when I read it first and wondering how he'd pull it off. wink.gif

That being said, it's not my place to stop you if you want to contine. The description's up for grabs as much as anyone elses in this thread. Just as long as you don't start pulling out hairs over it because you feel obliged to finish a sketch for a stranger. smile.gif

If you want Kenshi to handle your character, that's cool. Kenshi's got a very clean style, and would lend itself well to the character. I'll just convert it over to an NPC or something, no biggie.
SuperSpy
QUOTE (Just Pete)
As an aspiring artist myself (with nowhere near the talent of what's been seen here), I'm curious. What techniques/tools do you use to create these sketches?

The technique I used is basically straight out of the book How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way (although the meathod's been around long before the book), but blended with my own style. You start out by drawing a skeletal figure in your desired pose - figuring out all your angles and proportions. Then I work my way out in layers: meat of the body, skin, clothes, accessories, details and so forth.

I trust you've seen the progression scans of Fortune's character Danny. Here's the behind-the-scenes stuff for Juliana and Jia.
Kenshi
::: How I Work :::

With sketches, I use what ever is handy (pencil, pen, marker) and just start drawing a stick figure (see, I'm just like the rest of you smile.gif ). I draw very lightly and, once I have the pose I like, I start filling in. I just keep drawing over the stick figure, refining lines.

For the LUNCH TIME SKETCH™, I've actually been trying to work as fast as possible. You'll notice that none of the sketches have taken longer than 25 mins.

For the Connor piece, I took a Comic Book approach. On a scrap piece of paper, I did a bunch of stick figures. Once I had a pose I liked, I switched to a sheet of Bristol Board (a very heavy-stock paper) and did a large stick figure using a Non-Photo Blue pencil. I use the Blue pencil because if you scan in grayscale, it doesn't show up. After I have my proportions and rough details down, I use pencil to draw in detail. This gives it a very "clean" look. Next, I ink the drawing with tech pens, which you can find at any art or craft store (I use Micron™ pens). Finally, I scan the image and (this is where I cheat a little) take the image into Photoshop and "tweak" the picture. Nothing major, just adjusting contrast, erasing stray lines, ect.

And that's how I work. Maybe today I'll do a "step-by-step" of the LUNCH TIME SKETCH™. Should be fun! biggrin.gif
Kenshi
SuperSpy is right. How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way is the BEST book you can get on ComicBook style art. It was written in the 70's and looks a little dated but ALL of the fundamentals are there. Every other comic art book is just a rip-off of this book.

I've used it so much, I'm actually on my third copy! It's the only book I buy more than Shadowrun! nyahnyah.gif
Tarantula
*wonders if his characters description got lost in the shuffle* frown.gif
Kenshi
I didn't forget about you Tarantula. wink.gif

In fact, check back here in a couple of hours...
mintcar
I´ve got a copy of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way signed by Stan Lee. nyahnyah.gif

I use that stuff a little. But I actually started doing that wire frame sketching stuff for real first after doing some tutored drawing with a real model in school.
SuperSpy
Okay, you all remember Ian, right? My wall-scaling covert-ops elf? Well, I've been working on this for a long time now and it's nearly done:

Ian in Color.

I still need to work on the face a bit, do a but of clean-up and add in a few minor details, but this is really close to being complete... well, until I start working on the background.

I'd love to know what you all think.
mmu1
QUOTE (SuperSpy)
Okay, you all remember Ian, right? My wall-scaling covert-ops elf? Well, I've been working on this for a long time now and it's nearly done:

Ian in Color.

I still need to work on the face a bit, do a but of clean-up and add in a few minor details, but this is really close to being complete... well, until I start working on the background.

I'd love to know what you all think.

I'm really weird that way, but I always tend to like the early sketches / line drawings best. That said, I think it's really good - although as you say, the face still needs some work, it's a bit flat-looking right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012