Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Art Attack!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mmu1
Coming into the game late, here's my street sam, Blake. (hopefully someone can get around to him eventually)

He's a stocky but fit male dwarf, very tall for his race (almost 4'10"), with short cropped brown hair and beard, solid gunmetal cybereyes, and light dermal sheathing. (alphaware, designed to make his face look merely unusually craggy rather than lumpy and lifeles) He usually dresses in a military-surplus looking armored jacket over a couple of t-shirts (black, gray or navy, with no designs), heavy-duty cargo pants or baggy jeans (baggy, not ones with the waist around his knees, thank you wink.gif) and strong leather boots. (doesn't tuck the pants into the boots) Usually accompanied by a palm-sized arachnid drone riding on his shoulder or peeking out of one of the jacket pockets. Quick to smile, and very laid-back and relaxed looking - often munching on a bag of pretzels.

Or, perhaps as he looks right now (as of the end of the session last Tuesday): He's wearing a full camo suit, most of his face is covered by a FFBA hood, he has on a light helmet (an anti-impact kind, not a ballistic one - curse the availability on Security armor), has an AK-98 with a grenade launcher slung from a harness connected to his combat webbing, which is festooned with grenades (two incendiary and one concussion still left) and spare ammo clips, has a Predator III strapped to his right thigh and a field electronics kit to his left. He's liberally splattered with blood and charred bits of... something. His armor has been struck with bullets several times. The spider drone is sitting on his shoulder, looking excited (insofar as it can do that).

A long armored lead coming out of a datajack behind his right ear is connected to an unusual looking drone - it looks like an upright piece of armor plate on a squat tracked chassey, tall enough so that it covers Blake to roughly chest level. The "shield" is hinged about 1/4 of the way from the bottom and attached to some heavy-duty actuators so that it can be made horizontal and serve as a stretcher if necessary. The front of the armored plate has clearly seen use. The back has a step big enough to put both feet on at the bottom, handholds along the other sides, and places to attach spare ammo, grenades, and other tools.
JaronK
QUOTE (mintcar)
I think I might be the first to try my hand at JaronKīs Antonio Valencio Domingo Shadowpaw. This one was great fun to draw, as it allowed for a lot of creativity. Heīs suposed to be a fashion designer and a mage right? Canīt really go over the top there. I made it sort of a tribute to the picture by Janet Aulisio on page 165 in the BBB. (She and Bradstreet are my favourite SR artists). Itīs the one that inspired the character in the first place right, Jaron?

I confess to the Photoshop filter cheating, you out there who spot such things. Itīs suposed to be quick sketches right? (even though this one took nearly two hours) Antonio

Interesting interpretation. Not quite what I expected, though there's some certain possibility there. He's a bit more round in the face than I would have expected for an Elf, and the clothing is a bit less... "crisp" than I'd expect for him. Still, the emotion is just about perfect for him, which perhaps is the main thing.

JaronK
mintcar
SuperSpy: It shows you put a lot of work in there, and it looks real good. I just think it shows a bit of uncertainty aswell. Am I wrong to say your more at home with line drawings? I am too, you see. I find that one of the most important things to remember when painting is to be bold. Dare to use different colours to make up a surface, light that reflects from all over make it so there should be a lot of yellow spots in the brown, blue spots on the skin, and god knows. You can be subtle with this or not, depending on style. And most important of all, by far: Contrasts. There should be a BIG difference between the dark parts and the light parts. Make it a rule to always go from pitch black to bright white on every surface (not really, when youīve done that change it so it doesnīt look stupid. But itīs a good thing to keep in mind). The more bold you are with contrasts the more professional it will look, trust me. Try opening your picture in Photoshop and go wild with the dodge and burn tools for a while, se if you like the result. Then put in colour reflections from an imagined background. Or better yet, do a rough background and then figure out shading and reflections. Wish I could illustrate this with pictures, but I donīt have time. Iīm too bad a painter myself. I have had schooling though. Hope you can use the advise. Cheers! smile.gif
mintcar
JaronK: Yea. I took some liberties with that picture. I wanted it to remind of Janetīs picture so I made the face, the clothes and the hand mildly resemblant. I didnīt think he was an elf when I drew him, just changed the ears once I found out. So there you go. Thank you for the inspiration anyway.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (SuperSpy)
Okay, you all remember Ian, right? My wall-scaling covert-ops elf? Well, I've been working on this for a long time now and it's nearly done:

Ian in Color.

I still need to work on the face a bit, do a but of clean-up and add in a few minor details, but this is really close to being complete... well, until I start working on the background.

I'd love to know what you all think.

thats cool! like the trainers! tehehehe

torz x grinbig.gif
dEdDaWg
You guys should put your artwork up on the Yahoo! Shadowrun Amateur Art Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SRartgroup/
SuperSpy
QUOTE (mintcar)
SuperSpy: It shows you put a lot of work in there, and it looks real good. I just think it shows a bit of uncertainty aswell. Am I wrong to say your more at home with line drawings?

You're spot on. Very rarely do I color my work and usually when I do it's just coloring in between the lines. This is my first peice that's been this 'painterly.' Thanks for the tips. I can totally see those suggestions living it up. The whole thing was done in Photoshop anyway so it makes it real easy to experiment and add on more layers. Thanks for your help.
mintcar
no sweat (or as it would cheesily be called in a shadowrun novel: null prespiration sleepy.gif wink.gif )
Weredigo
Kinko Copies does scanning for a charge right?
MagicalGirlPrettyMatt
All right, since it seems to be the fashionable thing to do, I'll throw my latest character onto the pile, if I may.

Layla is a female human changeling. Her skin goes from a deep magenta to a cotton-candy pink, depending on how much sun she's gotten, and she has long straight sky-blue hair to about the base of her shoulderblades. She's extremely muscular, yet still pretty lean: those muscle enhancements really show. She also has quite a long white hairless tail, and this protrudes from customized red leather pants. She wears a white T-shirt with a hammer and sickle on it and a simple red leather jacket. She carries an ingram smartgun with a happy face and the word "MOKOMA" printed on the barrel, and a pair of noise-cancelling headphones around her neck.

Totally up to you guys if you want to draw her or not. I'm not in a hurry. smile.gif
Talia Invierno
Belated thank you, SuperSpy. That was amazing smile.gif
Wireknight
Aww, no one got around to drawing my character.

Still, all the artwork I've seen on this thread is pretty good. Ever considered charging something menial ($5-$10, paypal) for the service of quick character sketches? I'd say, on these forums, you'd probably find a decent market of clients. I'm not making the insane suggestion that one attempt to make a living this way, but if you make $30-$40 a week and keep yourself from going insane when you have nothing better to do, it'd be nice spending money.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Kenshi)
I didn't forget about you Tarantula. wink.gif

In fact, check back here in a couple of hours...

Not that I'm trying to push you or anything... But I just got back from a 3 day roadtrip, and though, hey, Kenshi must've done raptor by now, I'll go check. Then I noticed the thread was buried down 3 pages. So I thought I'd bump the thread, and ask about what happened.
Kenshi
Apologies for the lack of art over the last week. I've taken over as Editor & Art Director on the new Neo-Anarchists Guide to Everything Else and it's kinda sucked up my attention. I posted about it last night.

As an aside, if you submit to the NAGEE, you will more than likely see some art put to it. This includes Gear, Archtypes, Contacts, and just about anything else.

Sorry again to everyone I haven't gotten to...
Tarantula
Thats awesome that you're the NAGEE Art director. Looking forward to picking it up.
Kenshi
Thanks. I'm really excited about this. It's a chance to not only show my illustration skills but also, it's a chance to flex some design muscle.
Raén
Well, I'm also looking for a draw for one of my characters, if one of you would like to make it, it would be really nice.

Delarediel is a young elf woman (18 years old). She is very attractive, and has long straight dark blonde hair (which end around the middle of her back) with silvery blue eyes. She is very slim, as she weight 46kg for 1,67m (101lb for 5ft and 6inch).
About her mensurations: she doesn't have a particularly big breast (about 85B, or 33B), and have slim hips. For the waist, I think it is obvious, due to her weight, that she is really slim.
About her personality: she is fond of adventuring, interested in everything new she can come across. She is a bit rebel and wild but nice and gentle. Daughter of a Tir Na Nog CEO, she ran away from her parents to "discover the world". Her passion is the roller, and she's a member of a roller gang, the Riders.
She prefer to dress with convenient cloths, which allow her to skate (she has cyberskates, to be able to skate anytime), but try to look attractive too (she's looking for a boyfriend).

If you have any questions, you can ask me for further details.
SykoBear
Hi Kenshi!

I normally don't post unless someone makes the mistake of mentioning rigged power armour *twitch*, rigged bikes *twitchtwitch* or sensor-enhanced gunnery through cyberarms *twitchtwitchtwitch*....

BUT...

Great work!
Omer Joel
QUOTE (Kenshi)
Alright, firstly, sorry about no sketch yesterday. I was working on a Comissioned piece! It's done now and I've got Critias permission to post it for you here!

Connor is an ex-Tir Ghost and a bad@$$ to boot.

Check him out!

Total Time (pencil & ink): 2 hours 30 mins

>Kenshi

Looks like a professional drawing out of one of the SR books. Thumbs up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012