Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movie Quotes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Rolemodel
So. Do you ever feel the need to squeeze a movie quote into a shadowrun gaming session? Here's one that had me cracking up. Keep in mind that most of my play is exclusively text based MUX.

To set the scene, Grim and Iron have been locked down in a little corporate weapons playground, while their decker get's hammered, pulling out a noted technician with a headful of useful data.

It's a clear -cut and paste-.

---

Griz shakes his head, squints his eyes, and otherwise looks horribly annoyed at the entire situation. This was supposed to be a corporate facility with some security, maybe a couple of drones, and a straight forward extraction. Meanwhile, in the span of those moments another couple of rounds splatter off the edge of the trench, sending debris into the airs. "Fuck, chummer. I've got two clips left. Burned the APDS, and unless Ranger hacks through that maglock we're stuck between a rock, and hard place. Painful place, even." He quick ejects his clip, refreshes his link to the optical augmented image link, and loads the latest combat information into his tactical reserves. He'll rise, pull the stock of his rifle into his shoulder, squeeze off a burst, and mutter, "At least I don't have a wife and kids, eh Iron?"

There's a snort from Iron, and he nods himself, dropping a pair of empty clips from his handguns, wedged up low against the edging of the pit, and taking a few seconds to load himself a new set. "Yeah. I've got a girl, myself. We usually chat for two hours a day on the matrix, so I'd say things have been getting pretty serious." He cocks each gun in turn. "I'm a little TO'd though. She still hasn't even sent me a full body shot."

<OOC> GM#7 reads. Laughs!
<OOC> Griz facepalms.
<OOC> Iron looks around innocently, "What? Was it something I said?"
<OOC> GM#7 snickers, "You stupid bastard."

---Napoleon Dynamite Paraphrase.

-RM
Smiley
"AK-97! When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherf*cker in the room, accept no substitutes."
Fresno Bob
"AK-97! When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherf*cker in the room, accept no substitutes."

Ok, I know Samuel L Jackson said the original line in some movie, but for the life of me, I can't remember which it was...

Pretty much anything by Ash (Army of Darkness) works its way into our sessions. Anything from a simple 'Groovy.', to the popular 'This is my BOOMSTICK!'
Smiley
That was Jackie Brown. Pretty much any good line from a Tarantino movie can be adapted to SR with minimal thought or effort.
Crimsondude 2.0
"I love this job more than I love taffy, and I'm a man who loves his taffy."

From The Family Guy.
John Campbell
Sven: Hmm... remind me, next time we deal with an iffy Johnson, to get a, um, sample...
Clarissa: Blood? Hair? Tissue?
Sven: Hair works. Blood and tissue are better, but more difficult to get unnoticed.
Clarissa: Just punch him once. That should do it
Bobby Z: Or, you know, get him drunk and have your way with him.
Sven: Remind me exactly what "my way" is?
Bobby Z: Pick up those boulders, and when he comes around the corner, smash his head in!
Sven: My way's not very sportsmanlike.
BitBasher
Runner 1: We haven't really figured out if we want to kill the Johnsons for crossing us. Not enough info.
Runner 2: Me. I'm the guy. I know everyone. I know his habits, who he hangs out with. I got phone hus numbers, addresses. I know who he's screwing, I know where he lives. We could kill EVERYONE.
Runner 1: So what do you think?
Runner 3: I'm strangely comfortable with it.
TeOdio
"Mister, we deal in lead."
Magnificent Seven (I think, have to watch it again)
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Smiley
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Runner 1: We haven't really figured out if we want to kill the Johnsons for crossing us. Not enough info.
Runner 2: Me. I'm the guy. I know everyone. I know his habits, who he hangs out with. I got phone hus numbers, addresses. I know who he's screwing, I know where he lives. We could kill EVERYONE.
Runner 1: So what do you think?
Runner 3: I'm strangely comfortable with it.

Good one.
BitBasher
Thanks... Followup, different movie:

Johnson: What are you doing?
Runner 1: What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone.
Johnson: ...I don't understand.
Runner 1: 'Cause there is a dead man on the other end of this fragging' line
Smiley
"Which credstick is yours?"

"It's the one that says 'Bad Motherf*cker' on it!"
Charon
One particular movie is stock full of potential SR quote, considering it's the movie that comes closer in concept to a SR team that I can think of.

---

"You ever kill anybody?"
"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

---

"Who and how many are going to be coming after us?"
"You worried about saving your own skin?"
"Yeah I am - it covers my body."

---

And it wouldn't be complete without an argument with Johnson:

"What's in the case?"
"That information isn't necessary."
"Is it heavy? Is it explosive? Is it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist - we're gonna have to chop it off? I mean what is it?"
"Alright. But I am not under any obligation to let you know..."
"If you are not then the price has got to go up. I'll get you the case but the price has got to go up. If it's gonna be amateur night I want a hundred-thousand dollars, I want it up front, I want it in a bank account, I want another hundred-thousand when you get the case."

Fresno Bob
And the movie would be...
Kanada Ten
Isn't that Ronin?
Arethusa
Yes.
RunnerPaul
Sir, Is this going to be a stand up fight, or another bug hunt?
Sandoval Smith
"Game over man!"

(boy, that one gets used a lot).
BitBasher
Mr Brackhaus: Mr. Johnson knew nothing. Lowfyr rarely works with the same people for very long, and they never know who they're working for. One cannot be betrayed if one has no people.

Shadowrunner: So why are you telling us?

Mr Brackhaus: Because you have stolen from Lowfyr, Mr Shadowrunner. That you did not know you stole from him is the only reason you are still alive, but he feels you owe him. You will repay your debt.

Shadowrunner: Alright, Frag the Debt - And Fuck You! How do we know you work for Lowfyr?

Mr Brackhaus: I don't think that is relevant, Mr Shadowrunner. All five of you are responsible for the murder of The Corp Suit and his bodyguards. Mr. Johnson can testify to your involvement, and we can see to it that he will. He is not of your "superior" breed.
Shockwave_IIc
The usual suspects?

Either way bloody good film
BitBasher
Yeah, if I ever used that line in a game my players would crap their pants then start making new characters, the conversation would end there. wink.gif
Weredigo
I can't wait to pull this one on my players with a new NPC Merc Outfit...

"I can't see FukkMook, I have no Eyes." I think everyone can guess the movie, but can anyone guess the name of the Outfit?
Crimsondude 2.0
I usually enjoy some of these guessing games as much as the next gamer, but it'd be nice if people cited their sources for those of us who don't go out looking for shadowrunesque films (or don't like, say, GitS).
hahnsoo
"There's our Johnson"
"How do you know?"
"He ain't got shit all over him."
Sandoval Smith
My single quote came from 'Aliens,' and the only Ghost in the Shell related thread activity I've seen lately was over in the Mag Scope thread.
BitBasher
My 3 so far have been Boondock Saints, HEAT, then The Usual Suspects in that order. smile.gif
Smiley
A little bit of pain never hurt anyone, if you know what I mean. Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, fuck-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.

Also:

If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything, I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya.

[EDIT] HAD to add this:

When you dance with the devil, you wait for the song to stop.
Necro Tech
"1,2,3,4,5,6,7...huh...Oswald was a fag."

McManus, The Usual suspects.
grendel
"If you want to be making moves on the street, have no attachments, allow nothing to be in your life that you cannot walk out on in thirty seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
the only Ghost in the Shell related thread activity I've seen lately was over in the Mag Scope thread.

I just felt like sharing since I was going to use an example, and wasn't going to use a familiar movie/movie I like.
Crimson Jack
One of my players is about as big of a movie buff as I am. I refrain from making the NPCs use current movie quotes. The player, on the other hand, loves to insert them willy nilly.

One of them happened when the runners found themselves overcrowded in a small very non-sea-worthy vessel in 2' chops:

"We're gonna need a bigger boat!" (Close enough to the quote from Jaws)

and after the team had taken out a nasty toxic shammie:

"We came, we saw, we kicked his ass." (Venkman, Ghostbusters)

There are many others, but they're eluding me at the moment. Perhaps after coffee... sleepy.gif

Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Mar 2 2005, 11:25 PM)
the only Ghost in the Shell related thread activity I've seen lately was over in the Mag Scope thread.

I just felt like sharing since I was going to use an example, and wasn't going to use a familiar movie/movie I like.

That's good, then I don't have to dscend into a frothing fanboy rage and gnaw your face off (I thought the two movies were rather meh, but the TV series... I rented the first disc, watched it, and then ran back to the rental shop and got the rest of the series, watching it in two sittings).

I think the anarchorism of movie quotes can be funny, especially when they are extremely out of place. I played in a Call of Cthulu campaign set in Boston, 1892 where this was frequently the case. That was a game with a lot of good quotes, including one PCs assessment of the party; I have two souls. And I'm the normal one.
Weredigo
That's good, then I don't have to dscend into a frothing fanboy rage and gnaw your face off (I thought the two movies were rather meh, but the TV series... I rented the first disc, watched it, and then ran back to the rental shop and got the rest of the series, watching it in two sittings).

I think it was the First Episode that I caught. That Fraggin Rocked, then I asked around and come to find out the T.V. episodes are set after the first movie, and soon they'll have a second movie out. I can't wait...

Hopefully soon Cartoon Network will replay the episodes from first to last, and they will be recorded onto the Cablebox, and then onto DVD, <insert maniacal fanboy laughter>
Crimson Jack
Hmm, I like the manga alright, but I don't get what's so cool about the series. I wasn't very impressed. Didn't think they were bad, but not impressed.
Sandoval Smith
Actually, the story of the TV series isn't related to the movies at all, aside from having the same characters. I'd actually be kind of hard pressed to say precisely what I liked so much about the series. I enjoyed the writing, the character develpment (actually shed a tear for the Tachikomas) and the story (what of it I could understand).
Drain Brain
"Did you just drop a fry?"

"Erm... yeah."

"Chummer, this is a Westwind 2000. A Turbo. It's a hundred an' thirty eight thousand nuyen car. Get it."

"I can't. If I stick my hand down there I'll come up with this shit..." The runner indicates a vague parody of a mangled hand. "Anyway... this ain't a car at all. It's a big shiny dick with two seats in it. And we're the balls, just draggin' the fuck along..."

That was, of course, a mash up of a couple of Bad Boys quotes that a player and myself spontaneously came out with one session. We both love the movie...
Ranneko
QUOTE (Weredigo)

I think it was the First Episode that I caught. That Fraggin Rocked, then I asked around and come to find out the T.V. episodes are set after the first movie, and soon they'll have a second movie out.

Really? Because it definately did'nt look like it to me, since at the end of the first movie, she no longer requires or in fact HAS any meat in her body. Whereas I think she was still had her brain and spinal cord in the TV series. Besides the TV series are meant to stand alone, that is why it is the Standalone complex. Still need to get around to watching Innocence and GitS:SAC 2nd GiG.
Pthgar
Another Ronin:
"The map is not the territory."
Good enough to be quoted on the back of a SR book.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum."
Backgammon
We can't forget TheScamp's hilarious sig:

"Do you see a sign in front of my house that says 'Dead Rigger Storage'?!
No? That's because storing dead riggers ain't my f'ing business!"
-From a game session known as, 'Rigger, Please!'
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Backgammon)
We can't forget TheScamp's hilarious sig:

"Do you see a sign in front of my house that says 'Dead Rigger Storage'?!
No? That's because storing dead riggers ain't my f'ing business!"
-From a game session known as, 'Rigger, Please!'

rotfl.gif
Foreigner
I'm looking forward to using the following exchange during a 'run:

(From THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)):

Vin (Steve McQueen): "We deal in LEAD, Friend."

Calvera (Eli Wallach): "So do I! We are in the same business!"

Vin: "Only as competitors."

eek.gif

Edit: Sorry, folks, force of habit. I was a proofreader for twelve years (1988--2000). I was trained to describe the difference between fonts.

--Foreigner
Arethusa
PLEASE STOP DOING THAT.
Backgammon
I agree, that bolds and italics thing drives me nuts.
hahnsoo
Meh, as long as it's only the movie title, I don't mind.
Fortune
He's been asked nicely to stop a few times now though.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Fortune)
He's been asked nicely to stop a few times now though.

He edited it now, it's all good. It's not like he's doing it deliberately to piss everyone off.
shadow_scholar
I've got tons I've always wanted to work into a game somehow:

Street Sam left in charge after the face gets caught: "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here. Now we're finishing this deal, and then maybe maybe we'll come back for those morons who got themselves caught."

Mean, Nasty Johnson: Oh, you do not like I kill this man?

Runner: No, I'm sure he was a... very bad person.

Mean, Nasty Johnson: My wife's nephew. At dinner I am getting earful.

Leader: Can't get paid if you're dead.

Street Sam: Can't get paid if you crawl away like a bitty little bug neither. I got a share of this job. Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here... nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'...

there are tons from this series, but this one is probably my favorite, slighty edited:

Female Street Sam: Preacher, isn't the Bible kind of specific about killing?

Preacher: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area kneecaps.

For those of you who don't know, this series was Firefly, Joss Whedon's short lived space western. Great show, but too bad it got axed so soon, but they have a movie version called "Serenity" coming out in September, I think?
LinaInverse
Johnson to a reluctant team: I'm hiring you to start a corp war. It's a prestigous line of work, with a long and glorious tradition...
Slacker
QUOTE (Ranneko)
QUOTE (Weredigo @ Mar 3 2005, 06:46 PM)

I think it was the First Episode that I caught. That Fraggin Rocked, then I asked around and come to find out the T.V. episodes are set after the first movie, and soon they'll have a second movie out.

Really? Because it definately did'nt look like it to me, since at the end of the first movie, she no longer requires or in fact HAS any meat in her body. Whereas I think she was still had her brain and spinal cord in the TV series. Besides the TV series are meant to stand alone, that is why it is the Standalone complex. Still need to get around to watching Innocence and GitS:SAC 2nd GiG.

The GITS tv series is set in an alternate reality, where the first movie never took place. The main reason for this was that they wanted to use both the character Major Motoko Kusanagi and Togusa. Since the Major left Section 9 at the end of the first movie and Togusa was new to the team in that movie it was impossible to continue the story with them in that reality.
The second movie does have Motoko in it, but she has become a presence in cyberspace and only inhabits a body with a fragment of herself at the end of the movie to help Batou.
I haven't yet watched all of the series, but I would have to say its not as good as the first movie.
Arethusa
The series definitely surpasses the first film, but it takes a while to get around to it.

Innocence is in a class all its own.
The Grifter
"We need guns! Giant f*cking GUNS!"- Rutger Hauer, from the film "Split Second"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012