Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brainstorm: California
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Slipshade)
And I am comming from a NorCal perspective, which tends to care about only what is North of LA, so I see no problem with what the SR universe did in SoCal. Different perspective, different likes I guess.

Typical attitudes though. NorCal tends to dislike SoCal and SoCal just forgets NorCal is even there most of the time. smile.gif

But no matter how you slice it, throwing a city of several million people, whose port industry alone handles more business than the GDP of many countries, just because of the actions of a small decker terrorist cell is pretty stupid, no matter how much you hate SoCal, particularly when the city is standing between you and Aztechnology invaders.

*shrug* Just another stipid, not very well reasoned decision when it comes to California.
Slipshade
Agreed.

Like I said, I am not a big fan of what was done to California in the SR universe. But to each there own.

Slip
Demonseed Elite
There aren't many fans of SR's version of California, that I've seen. What I'm mainly curious about is what people would like to see, and their ideas on how to get from what there is now to what they would want.
Kagetenshi
*Raises hand* I'm a fan of it.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Mar 10 2005, 05:13 PM)
Typical attitudes though.  NorCal tends to dislike SoCal and SoCal just forgets NorCal is even there most of the time. smile.gif

Pretty much.

But DE's right, unfortunately. And one of the aspects of California that annoys me so much is that AFAIK part of it was written by locals. But like Synner & Co. have said, just because you're a local doesn't mean you can write well.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
There aren't many fans of SR's version of California, that I've seen. What I'm mainly curious about is what people would like to see, and their ideas on how to get from what there is now to what they would want.

Don't get me wrong when I say that they fucked the CFS over so hard it is not funny.

No,I don't want CFS to be Utopia. I would want it to be different, yes. I mean, look at the way things are going in , the agro, tech, and media corps are huge in CFS. They just so happen too not need many workers. Think of the hell the CFS would be if it had something like a 40-60% unemployment. I mean, by the 2050, most service jobs could be phased out. And that is just one way to go.
Eyeless Blond
Personally I just don't like how nonsensical all the justification is for everything. The US thinks California is weird, and are sick of hearing how some of us want to be independent, so they kick us out. California. A state whose economy is bigger than most countries.

Then every single other country in the world smells blood in the water and decides to invade. Actually I can kinda see this one, assuming the former. But, somehow California ends up being completely incapable of defending itself, even from the army of frickin Mexico, and just rolls over for every single millitary power who wants a piece of them. Bull. The vast majority of the millitary personel who are stationed here, if the rest of the US decided to leave us to our fate, would stay here. I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between California and the rest of the US, I'd choose Cal in a heartbeat and be damn proud of my decision.

Additionally, whomever wrote the Cal sourcebook ignored the most important reason that few people conduct major millitary campaigns these days: namely retaliation. If you invade another country, particularly one as big and with as much economic clout as California, then the rest of the world witll be lining up to hand you a gigantic beatdown, if for no other reason than you're making their country's stock market crash. Look at the "first" Gulf War for an example.

The Tirs invading, well I've already given my thoughts on how stupid the thought of the Tirs amassing an army without anyone noticing is ridiculous. Even moreso though was the idea that they would use the environment to justify their invasion. California, out of anywhere in the US, would be the last place to be critisized for envoronmental policy. There are different reasons for this in both Northern Cal and Southern Cal: NorCal does it because the Bay Area is filled with hippies (j/k, mostly), and SoCal does it because in LA in particular the la of the land causes all pollution to just stick to the ground out here, especially in the Riverside area. Invading California and claiming environmental protection reasons is somewhat akin to the Democrats trying to impeach Bush for being too millitarily passive. nyahnyah.gif

Additionally, the thought of California not recruiting magic users--and lots of them--to the millitary if it became clear that the Tir were invading and doing very well because of magic is stupid. Canon notes how big on magic UCLA (and MIT) became, but for some reason it stops there, and the millitary doesn't pick up on it. I don't know about you, but if I were a millitary strategist and I saw people on a college campus flying and throwing around fireballs my ears would be pricking up in a big way. biggrin.gif

On a side note, I'm dissappointed how noone mentions UC Berkeley or Stanford, who would have had them all beat easily in any Occult Studies department. The Berkeley campus has so many liberal arts programs that are quite literally the best in the world; the infrastructure is already in place for such a campus to pick up the magic thing instantly and in a big way. Hell, with all the hippie liberal arts people around there I wouldn't be surprised if a third of the campus Awakened in the first decade. nyahnyah.gif It'd probably be its own seperate college within the university (like the College of Chemistry) before 2020.

Then of course there's the aforementioned bulldrek about LA becoming a free city for no apparent reason, etc etc.

It's not *all* bad, though, I guess. There's still the People's University, which is just such a cool concept I can forgive at least some of the events that brought it into being, like the invading Japanese (ugh!). I guess the thought of an entire college in the shadows (and my alma mater no less!) is highly amusing. biggrin.gif
Cynic project
But Blond, your forget the real reason CFS is fucked up, so they could make Seattle worth wile.
Eyeless Blond
LOL, that's true, isn't it? Why the Tirs decided to invade Cal and *not* invade Washington state instead, that's something I'll never know. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Because California is so much better, haven't you been listening?

Either that or they don't like rain smile.gif

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
*Raises hand* I'm a fan of it.

I don't really have a problem with it either. Sure there are a couple of things I would change, but on a whole I think it's alright.
Slipshade
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Personally I just don't like how nonsensical all the justification is for everything. The US thinks California is weird, and are sick of hearing how some of us want to be independent, so they kick us out. California. A state whose economy is bigger than most countries.

Then every single other country in the world smells blood in the water and decides to invade. Actually I can kinda see this one, assuming the former. But, somehow California ends up being completely incapable of defending itself, even from the army of frickin Mexico, and just rolls over for every single millitary power who wants a piece of them. Bull. The vast majority of the millitary personel who are stationed here, if the rest of the US decided to leave us to our fate, would stay here. I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between California and the rest of the US, I'd choose Cal in a heartbeat and be damn proud of my decision.

Additionally, whomever wrote the Cal sourcebook ignored the most important reason that few people conduct major millitary campaigns these days: namely retaliation. If you invade another country, particularly one as big and with as much economic clout as California, then the rest of the world witll be lining up to hand you a gigantic beatdown, if for no other reason than you're making their country's stock market crash. Look at the "first" Gulf War for an example.

The Tirs invading, well I've already given my thoughts on how stupid the thought of the Tirs amassing an army without anyone noticing is ridiculous. Even moreso though was the idea that they would use the environment to justify their invasion. California, out of anywhere in the US, would be the last place to be critisized for envoronmental policy. There are different reasons for this in both Northern Cal and Southern Cal: NorCal does it because the Bay Area is filled with hippies (j/k, mostly), and SoCal does it because in LA in particular the la of the land causes all pollution to just stick to the ground out here, especially in the Riverside area. Invading California and claiming environmental protection reasons is somewhat akin to the Democrats trying to impeach Bush for being too millitarily passive. nyahnyah.gif

Additionally, the thought of California not recruiting magic users--and lots of them--to the millitary if it became clear that the Tir were invading and doing very well because of magic is stupid. Canon notes how big on magic UCLA (and MIT) became, but for some reason it stops there, and the millitary doesn't pick up on it. I don't know about you, but if I were a millitary strategist and I saw people on a college campus flying and throwing around fireballs my ears would be pricking up in a big way. biggrin.gif

On a side note, I'm dissappointed how noone mentions UC Berkeley or Stanford, who would have had them all beat easily in any Occult Studies department. The Berkeley campus has so many liberal arts programs that are quite literally the best in the world; the infrastructure is already in place for such a campus to pick up the magic thing instantly and in a big way. Hell, with all the hippie liberal arts people around there I wouldn't be surprised if a third of the campus Awakened in the first decade. nyahnyah.gif It'd probably be its own seperate college within the university (like the College of Chemistry) before 2020.

Then of course there's the aforementioned bulldrek about LA becoming a free city for no apparent reason, etc etc.

It's not *all* bad, though, I guess. There's still the People's University, which is just such a cool concept I can forgive at least some of the events that brought it into being, like the invading Japanese (ugh!). I guess the thought of an entire college in the shadows (and my alma mater no less!) is highly amusing. biggrin.gif

Thank you Eyeless for writing down everything that has frustrated me about the SR universe version of California. Very well done.

Slip
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 11 2005, 02:33 PM)
I mean, look at the way things are going in , the agro, tech, and media corps are huge in CFS. They just so happen too not need many workers. Think of the hell the CFS would be if it had something like a 40-60% unemployment.  I mean, by the 2050, most service jobs could be phased out. And that is just one way to go.

Wha... Really?
Slipshade
It would be interesting to see if anyone that lives or has lived in California for a long time actually likes the book.

Slip
Fortune
What constitutes 'a long time' in your opinion?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
But, somehow California ends up being completely incapable of defending itself, even from the army of frickin Mexico, and just rolls over for every single millitary power who wants a piece of them. Bull. The vast majority of the millitary personel who are stationed here, if the rest of the US decided to leave us to our fate, would stay here. I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between California and the rest of the US, I'd choose Cal in a heartbeat and be damn proud of my decision.

First, it wasn't Mexico. It was Aztlan, and Aztechnology. They also invaded Pueblo, which is economically much better off than California in SR canon (Why?, I'll never know) and was one of the sources of the magical talent and theory that led to the GGD, and yet they lost a good chunk of land including the second largest cities of both Arizona and New Mexico. The impression I got from Aztlan was that it would be like fighting the Russian army. Hell, there were probably former Red Army commanders in the field from San Diego to Roswell. And then they were badass enough to take on Texas, who has been in this position before and revels in the history, and took half the state.

Secondly, you're too biased towards California when it comes to the response of the U.S./UCAS forces who pulled out. I'm shocked that as many soldiers and Marines stuck around as did. All the President had to say was, "treason" and images of what Saito would eventually do to the Marines who didn't want to stay with him, and they'd leave. Moreover, since 40% of the military comes from the South, they had their own incentives to leave--they might have to defend their own birth states from the UCAS. Many of the rest, frankly, don't have any reason to stay. Their Commander-in-Chief gave them an order, and if they didn't, well, it wouldn't be worth it to the "patriotic mercenaries" who joined to get the G.I. Bill benefits four years down the road. And finally, like you even mentioned, most people in this country think California is too friggin' weird and don't want to have a damn thing to do with it. It's too liberal, too elitist, blah blah blah, and I don't see why anyone would want to stay in large numbers.

Additionally, whomever wrote the Cal sourcebook ignored the most important reason that few people conduct major millitary campaigns these days: namely retaliation.

California seceded during the EuroWars (Russian, then AfA). The world's line was busy.

Additionally, the thought of California not recruiting magic users--and lots of them--to the millitary if it became clear that the Tir were invading and doing very well because of magic is stupid. Canon notes how big on magic UCLA (and MIT) became, but for some reason it stops there, and the millitary doesn't pick up on it. I don't know about you, but if I were a millitary strategist and I saw people on a college campus flying and throwing around fireballs my ears would be pricking up in a big way.

That doesn't make any sense to me, either.

On a side note, I'm dissappointed how noone mentions UC Berkeley or Stanford, who would have had them all beat easily in any Occult Studies department.

It's a bias that goes back to 1e. Paul Hume, the only real SR magic expert, wrote about the history of magical figures. Of all of the universities in the U.S., UCLA was on top of Occult Studies in a heartbeat, and had the first Th.D. program in the world. As a result, UCLA carries a hell of a rep in SR because if you look through the Grimoire most of the individuals--the magical equvalents of Einstein and Fermi--went to UCLA, taught at UCLA, or both. The authors were stuck within that context, and I will grant them that. I also buy the Magic War--to a point. If anything, I think that they underestimated just how much UCLA and USC hate each other, and the authors clearly picked a side (BTW, the whole schtick about UCLA's medical program is ridiculous. DocWagon may dump med students in the Harbor Barrens as a final, but USC's medical school is in the ghetto. The only way it could be in a worse place is if it was attached to MLK instead of L.A. County.), which is also one of the more irrational aspects of why I dislike the L.A. chapter--since there clearly isn't anything else to bitch about in there... But it was also my impression that UC and CSU schools don't much care for each other. And the Cardinals also happen to be in the Pac-10, and well... Sorry.
Slipshade
QUOTE (Fortune)
What constitutes 'a long time' in your opinion?

10 years or more. Enough to think of California as home if it takes less time.
Slipshade
And finally, like you even mentioned, most people in this country think California is too friggin' weird and don't want to have a damn thing to do with it. It's too liberal, too elitist, blah blah blah, and I don't see why anyone would want to stay in large numbers.

Funny as this may sound...the weather. California has some of the best weather in the world. California still has more people coming to live here than leaving, even with its outragious housing costs and that isn't including the ever rising number of people entering the state illegally from Mexico.

As for the military, I think a suprising number of military personal would stay, especially if they were long term residents of one of the bases. This is just an opinion so take it for just that.

The UCAS and CAS wouldn't have been able to do a whole lot about it at the time, if the military personal chose to stay, since I doubt the Native American Nations would have let either of those countries move troops though their territory or airspace. (Assuming the NAN were around at that time. I don't have my book handy)

California is an old place. You have the Liberal Bay Area and the Conservative Valley. The Entertainment industry in LA and the Environmentalists in the North. It is definetly something that needs to be experienced as the culture here is just different. I imagine it is a little like Texas in that you either love it or hate it and to know it you have to experience it. Someone said that the people who made the Cal Free State book lived here in California, which really suprised me as they seem to have just disregarded certain aspects of California that would have been interesting to follow. Instead of losing San Fran to the Japanese it could have been a extremely liberal bastion against the ultra conservative central valley. And in liberal I don't mean nice and happy. The extreme left can be just as frightening as the extreme right. There could have been a three way battle for power between LA, Sac and SF in the political arena and over water. The Big Sur could not only have the piracy it has now but places like Carmel and Monterey could be massive Corporate retreats still catoring to the ultra-rich that want to believe that there are still beautiful places in the world to relax, all the while the Toxics are trying to overun it. Play up the battle between NorCal and SoCal instead of it just being overrun by everyone else. The magical battles between the universities of SoCal and the hippy tree-hugging NorCal (of which I am a part of) could be amazing. It isn't like Stanford and Berkley see eye to eye either. They could be at each others throats as well. Why have Ares control Silicon Valley. I would have been much more interesting to have it a major battle ground where extractions and covert ops happen on a daily basis....ok I think I am rambling.

Again everything here is opinion,

Slip

I just think the book left out so much that is interesting about California

Cynic project
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
But, somehow California ends up being completely incapable of defending itself, even from the army of frickin Mexico, and just rolls over for every single millitary power who wants a piece of them. Bull. The vast majority of the millitary personel who are stationed here, if the rest of the US decided to leave us to our fate, would stay here. I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between California and the rest of the US, I'd choose Cal in a heartbeat and be damn proud of my decision.

First, it wasn't Mexico. It was Aztlan, and Aztechnology. They also invaded Pueblo, which is economically much better off than California in SR canon (Why?, I'll never know) and was one of the sources of the magical talent and theory that led to the GGD, and yet they lost a good chunk of land including the second largest cities of both Arizona and New Mexico. The impression I got from Aztlan was that it would be like fighting the Russian army. Hell, there were probably former Red Army commanders in the field from San Diego to Roswell. And then they were badass enough to take on Texas, who has been in this position before and revels in the history, and took half the state.

Secondly, you're too biased towards California when it comes to the response of the U.S./UCAS forces who pulled out. I'm shocked that as many soldiers and Marines stuck around as did. All the President had to say was, "treason" and images of what Saito would eventually do to the Marines who didn't want to stay with him, and they'd leave. Moreover, since 40% of the military comes from the South, they had their own incentives to leave--they might have to defend their own birth states from the UCAS. Many of the rest, frankly, don't have any reason to stay. Their Commander-in-Chief gave them an order, and if they didn't, well, it wouldn't be worth it to the "patriotic mercenaries" who joined to get the G.I. Bill benefits four years down the road. And finally, like you even mentioned, most people in this country think California is too friggin' weird and don't want to have a damn thing to do with it. It's too liberal, too elitist, blah blah blah, and I don't see why anyone would want to stay in large numbers.

Additionally, whomever wrote the Cal sourcebook ignored the most important reason that few people conduct major millitary campaigns these days: namely retaliation.

California seceded during the EuroWars (Russian, then AfA). The world's line was busy.

Additionally, the thought of California not recruiting magic users--and lots of them--to the millitary if it became clear that the Tir were invading and doing very well because of magic is stupid. Canon notes how big on magic UCLA (and MIT) became, but for some reason it stops there, and the millitary doesn't pick up on it. I don't know about you, but if I were a millitary strategist and I saw people on a college campus flying and throwing around fireballs my ears would be pricking up in a big way.

That doesn't make any sense to me, either.

On a side note, I'm dissappointed how noone mentions UC Berkeley or Stanford, who would have had them all beat easily in any Occult Studies department.

It's a bias that goes back to 1e. Paul Hume, the only real SR magic expert, wrote about the history of magical figures. Of all of the universities in the U.S., UCLA was on top of Occult Studies in a heartbeat, and had the first Th.D. program in the world. As a result, UCLA carries a hell of a rep in SR because if you look through the Grimoire most of the individuals--the magical equvalents of Einstein and Fermi--went to UCLA, taught at UCLA, or both. The authors were stuck within that context, and I will grant them that. I also buy the Magic War--to a point. If anything, I think that they underestimated just how much UCLA and USC hate each other, and the authors clearly picked a side (BTW, the whole schtick about UCLA's medical program is ridiculous. DocWagon may dump med students in the Harbor Barrens as a final, but USC's medical school is in the ghetto. The only way it could be in a worse place is if it was attached to MLK instead of L.A. County.), which is also one of the more irrational aspects of why I dislike the L.A. chapter--since there clearly isn't anything else to bitch about in there... But it was also my impression that UC and CSU schools don't much care for each other. And the Cardinals also happen to be in the Pac-10, and well... Sorry.

Did either the Tir or Mexico have nukes in 2037? As I would sure and hell nuke a country that did nto have nuke if it tried to take San Diego. THere goes mexico city....
FlakJacket
Did CalFree? If I'm the UCAS those are the first things I make sure are secure and transported out of the region back east.
Kanada Ten
Aztechnology has nukes, and Tir can stop them from working...
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Even moreso though was the idea that they would use the environment to justify their invasion.

Why not? It sounds just slightly better than 'We want it so we're taking it' in polite diplomatic circles. I can't think of many invasions that didn't try to hide behind at least even the flimsiest of pretexts.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Aztechnology has nukes, and Tir can stop them from working...

Bu-wah? Where's the Tir bit coming from? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is from the novel 'Find Your Own Truth' and even then they had to gain physical access to the devices as part of the ritual.
Kanada Ten
I suppose I'm thinking about what Harley said about Tunguska. They can knock the nukes back into orbit. That still leaves tactical nukes, but I doubt that was what Cynic meant.
Cynic project
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Did CalFree? If I'm the UCAS those are the first things I make sure are secure and transported out of the region back east.

California has roughly 10% of all the nukes in the world, right now. The Feds could not take those things threw the NAN,and if I was California,I sure as hell would make it harder for them to take them by sea... Some of the nukes are too big to take by air.
Eyeless Blond
And that's just *one* problem with relocating the hundreds of thousands of millitary personel who are stationed in this state away from it. Hell, with the amount it would cost to abandon the state, it would probably be cheaper to just fire everyone who is stationed here and leave 'em, and it wouldn't make any *less* sense than jettisoning the rest of the state just because it's "weird." Keep in mind the economic part of California is more important to the US than the millitary stationed here; if they were brain-dead enough to leave they'd probably just leave everything and not try to take their troops with them.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Mar 11 2005, 09:16 PM)

California has roughly 10% of all the nukes in the world, right now. The Feds could not take those things threw the NAN,and if I was California,I sure as hell would make it harder for them to take them by sea... Some of the nukes are too big to take by air.

If I were the UCAS, I'd nuke California before I let nukes fall into the hands of another nation.

~J
Cynic project
But California has enough nukes to have a MAD with any nation on earth.
Kagetenshi
No, it doesn't. The UCAS has all of those nukes, and my point is that they'd probably use them if California tried to take possession of them.

~J
FlakJacket
Not to begin with. If they did get their hands on any, they're not going to have the activation codes for the things without having to spend a fair bit of time hacking them first. During which time they're useless as weapons which the UCAS will know and take advantage of. Mainly by probably transporting them to somewhere safe like Seattle - nearest home ground before moving them back east.

And what nukes are stationed in California anyway?
Crimsondude 2.0
I was under the impression that they were at Vandenburg AFB, IIRC. But that was during the Cold War. AFAIK, the only ICBM facilities are in North Dakota (which itself is supposed to be the third-larget nuclear power in the world), Wyoming and Montana. SSBNs are based in Washington (Bangor, which NAN focres took over and SSC still controls) and King's Bay, Georgia (which now belongs to the CAS). The B-2 squadron is based in Missouri; B-52s in North Dakota and Lousiana. That only leaves tactical devices and warheads, like the stockpile of warheads at Kirtland AFB (which is suggested to be anywhere from 600 to 1,000, and is why I don't think for a second that the U.S. would have hesitated to nuke Albuquerque.) Source.

Anyway, they can't use the weapons themselves without the codes, but that doesn't stop them from removing the cores and reverse-enegineering the warheads.

But, personally, I think that IF THEY EVER EXISTED the U.S. would have left them after the Treaty of Denver, but once they seceded, they'd have disappeared under heavy cover. At least, they'd have moved out the warheads.
DrJest
Funny as this may sound...the weather. California has some of the best weather in the world.

Every time I hear someone mention California weather, I am inevitably reminded of Bill Hicks... but I digress.

With the best will in the world, there is no government that enjoys a flawless record in its operations. So while I agree the US/UCAS would have swiped their nukes back at the first opportunity after the California secession, I could easily see one or two getting mislaid, creatively mislaid most likely. Which leads to the question of where they went - the spectre of a challenging warlord with access to nuclear devices starts to loom its ugly head.
Kagetenshi
SAD. I'm of the opinion that this is important enough that they would say "if we don't have all of our nukes accounted for, we start bombing you until we hear two bangs".

~J
Eyeless Blond
Not a chance. I'll admit the UCAS has been portrayed as pretty stupid before, but nuking California because they made a clerical error? Not happenning.

I'm not even that sure the UCAS would even *care* about their nukes, or their millitary personel. They certainly didn't care about the tens of billions of dollars in taxes (EDIT: no, sorry, make that hundreds of billions, likely trillions by the 2030s) that come from a state as large and economically important as California; why would they care about a few piddly personel and bombs which haven't been used since the 1940s?
Kagetenshi
It's pretty obvious that, for whatever reason, California had become more expensive than it's worth.

~J
Cynic project
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It's pretty obvious that, for whatever reason, California had become more expensive than it's worth.

~J

Your right, the US does not want money. They do not want power....They SEATTLE! See, The UCAS wants. The NAN wants. The TIR wants. Aztlan wants it. Even the CAS wants it. It's great weather, and dependency on outside resources makes it a wonderful city. It's lovely weather makes maintaining infrastructures oh so fun. Nothing says safety like fixing power lines in a rain storm. Oh, and acid rain, is just gods way of telling you that you should always carry an umbrela.

Kag, I do not care how much you hate Californians, or our land. The plot behind the US pulling out, wile using most of it's armed forces to save Seattle is akin to walking over 100 dollar bill to pick up some spare change.

The compleat lack of any respect to the culture and political goals of California is such bullshit, that frankly I would sooner believe that Germany would be going for the forth riche. By the way, in Germany there is a political party that has at least some power that is basically a forth riche. Of, all the Californians I know, we are at worst just as racist as someone any part of the US. But on a larger scale we aren't. We have more diverse cities, and govorments than just about anywhere else in the US. As I recall New York has more hate crimes.( By the way it is harder to prove a hate crime in New York than in California..) But hey, Californians are xenophobes.

Oh and fogreiners... Um yea, we hate those people from other countries, cause that is why have so many tourists. Now, I'll admit it. I do not like tourists. But I hate them no matter where they are from. That means from other part of California as well. We get a lot of those. But from what I see, we as a whole do not care where you are from, but rather how you act.

By the way, if you want to hatred, go Washignton or Organ and make sure people know you are from California. You will get the pleasant company of waitresses that forget your orders,change that never adds up to what you gave the person behind the counter..Oh and the friendly locals will decorate your car with the lovely marking of keys, and you will never have to worry about having too much air in you tires either.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Anyway, they can't use the weapons themselves without the codes, but that doesn't stop them from removing the cores and reverse-enegineering the warheads.

And this is harder to belive than some drug lord build up a world power within a few years? Or some rag tag elves make an army so fast and subtle that no one notices it?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Kag, I do not care how much you hate Californians, or our land. The plot behind the US pulling out, wile using most of it's armed forces to save Seattle is akin to walking over 100 dollar bill to pick up some spare change.

I like making fun of California, largely due to a few friends I have there, but I have nothing really against the place. Again, though, for some reason California was not the $100 bill you think it is by the time the UCAS was making that decision. We've got canon actions, and in my opinion we have to start from the assumption that they make sense until we can't get any further that way. I consider it reasonable to assume that California somehow lost its value.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 12 2005, 01:26 AM)

And this is harder to belive than some drug lord build up a world power within a few years? Or some rag tag elves make an army so fast and subtle that no one notices it?

No. What's hard to believe is that there would be nukes there in the future when there aren't now.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I like making fun of California, largely due to a few friends I have there, but I have nothing really against the place. Again, though, for some reason California was not the $100 bill you think it is by the time the UCAS was making that decision. We've got canon actions, and in my opinion we have to start from the assumption that they make sense until we can't get any further that way. I consider it reasonable to assume that California somehow lost its value.

Except that obviously the UCAS is the only nation in the world to think this, because all the others are invading and gobbling up as much of the state as they can get their hands on. The Tirs want the north for the telesma, as California's pollution control laws have made it the least polluted place in the country. The Japanese want San Francisco, as it's gigantic port is one of the best on the western half of the Americas, not to mention that until every nation in the world started invading the place SF was the most racially tolerant city in the world. The Central Valley's agrobusinesses still manage to produce a significant fraction of the world's food cupply. Los Angeles has been taken over by several corps and the Pueblo nation, again because of the port, Hollywood, and the tons of aerospace industries in the area. Aztalan has San Diego, again because it's a terrific port city.

The UCAS are the only ones who don't want California... oh, wait, they actually *do*; check out pages 8-11 of the awful, awful CalFree sourcebook. No, I'm afraid the only possible explainnation for the UCAS's expulsion of California is that the city of Washington DC must have gone on a massive, six-month bender. When the city woke up from its drunken stupor, it found that it had kicked out California, sent thousands of troops to reinforce Seattle, merged with Canada, and let the Deep South sneak out the back door. "What were we thinking?"

Let's be real here. Cal was kicked out because the SR developers wanted Seattle to be the center of the world, and they were willing to do any number of nonsensical things to achieve that goal. Seattle has a port on the west coast of America, and that's about all it has, so that part needed to be played up. The state of California, being larger and having more and better ports, therefore had to go. There being no rational way for this to happen, the developers therefore had to create a series of convoluted ways for it to happen. Frankly the whole thing would have made more in-game sense if a giant earthquake had thrown the state into the sea.
Eyeless Blond
The "giant, city-wide bender" explainnation is also the only one to explain why Sacramento kicked out too. nyahnyah.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 12 2005, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 12 2005, 01:26 AM)

No. What's hard to believe is that there would be nukes there in the future when there aren't now.

Are you sure? I will do some checking, but I am pretty sure that there were still nukes in Cali.
Kanada Ten
Let's be real here. Cal was kicked out because the SR developers wanted Seattle to be the center of the world, and they were willing to do any number of nonsensical things to achieve that goal.

And here I thought they did all that to be funny.

Frankly the whole thing would have made more in-game sense if a giant earthquake had thrown the state into the sea.

Ah, but then it couldn't be so much fun trying to liberate from the Japanese, since, you know, it would be underwater... I guess with 2060 technology, that might be actually kind of fun too - though I'd make it happen like 2067 or something and have a few years of the state sinking into the ocean as the inhabitants try to "fix" the problem with arkoblocks and maybe the PCC asking the NAN for help, then having the whole of LA and surrounding held to the mainland by magic damns. smokin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Are you sure? I will do some checking, but I am pretty sure that there were still nukes in Cali.

Well, I like to think that the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists isn't completely full of shit.

But what it said reverbs with what I know about the US stockpile--that is, that there are no nukes in California.
Eyeless Blond
Yes, well they also say the city of Berkeley is a "nuclear free zone," despite the nuclear engineering and nuclear chemistry majors at the university and the synchotrons just up the hill in the Berkeley National Laboratory. People can be remarkably blind officially when they want to be. nyahnyah.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 15 2005, 12:13 AM)
Yes, well they also say the city of Berkeley is a "nuclear free zone," despite the nuclear engineering and nuclear chemistry majors at the university and the synchotrons just up the hill in the Berkeley National Laboratory. People can be remarkably blind officially when they want to be. nyahnyah.gif

I find it hard to describe how funny that is. It's great to see pretentious proclamations being totally full of drek.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. Suddenly this thread takes on a whole new significane, doesn't it? biggrin.gif

Or maybe not.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, I imagine DE was in the loop.

But if you mean, how can we influence the SR4 "... And So It Came To Pass," then by all means shoot.
Eyeless Blond
Well, I'm not sure how much our ranting is going to affect anything before 2065--which makes it unfortunate that I wasted so much time ranting about it--but I'm curious if we may be able to have some input on what's going to happen in the intervening years.

There seems to be a few opinions on what should happen to Saito's regime, so let's start there. How many people see Saito lasting to 2070? If you do, then will his little empire have expanded? Contracted? Will the corps want him gone, seeing that the constant war really isn't helping their bottom lines any, or will they see him as a stabalizing force as compared to the MPA, People's University, et al? And how will the new Crash affect Saito (or, for that matter, the People's University, which seems to be in a delicate position in that regard.)?
Kagetenshi
Come to that, that's true. There are a lot of plotlines that will almost undoubtedly just die over the course of this gap; Saitoh being one likely, the rebellion in the Yucatan almost certainly being another. Others will have evolved to an extreme degree if they're moving at all. Are all of these threads being cut, or are they being extended to 2070 at the risk of breaking credibility?

~J
Critias
My money's (unfortunately) on the latter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012