Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brainstorm: California
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Eyeless Blond
Replace "liberated half of Kuwait" with "conquered half of Iraq and have spent the last 15 bloody years trying to pacify it, and failing miserably," and you may have a better picture. Really, though, there's not very much in the sourcebooks about this little scuffle. The Calfree sourcebook labels it as a Tir specops team, and DotSW called it an invasion push, but that's really about it. It's not even mentioned in the Tir Tairngire sourcebook; from that book you'd think that Tir hadn't tried anything in Calfree since the late '30s. There's really no reason to think that Hestaby necessarily killed anyone when she turned back the Tirs in '53.

...not that I'm really defending canon here. Most of the stuff that's happenned in California I have similar objections to; the whole area could honestly do with a big rewrite to take into consideration the fact that the entire state does not consist of people with their heads buried up their asses. But it's not changing, and I have no expectation that it will change in the futire, so I'm just going to play up the People's University, which I like, and ignore most of the rest, which is pretty much a waste of paper.
Fortune
The Tir did take ground during the war. For all we know, the Princes may have put forward to the public the claim that their forces had stopped because they had totally achieved their objective.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 9 2005, 05:43 AM)
The Tir did take ground during the war.

Which one? The war in 2037, or the one in 2053? 'cause I'm not sure the thing in 2053 was even a major offensive, much less a war or even part of one. It reads more to me like a covert op designed to blow up the Shasta dam or something of that nature. Maybe the precursor to an offensive, but certainly nothing that major.
torzzzzz
don't know much about Tir ( apart from it being elvan? and hard?) but would love to be pointed in the right direction of where to look! amazing how much you learn on this site!

torz x wink.gif
DrJest
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
don't know much about Tir ( apart from it being elvan? and hard?) but would love to be pointed in the right direction of where to look! amazing how much you learn on this site!

torz x wink.gif

Skipping the obvious invitation to double entendre biggrin.gif you need to return to 2nd Ed again for the Tir Tairngire sourcebook.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (torzzzzz)

torz x wink.gif

You can find out most of the information that you need about the Tir in the in-print sourcebook "Shadows of North America". If you can find it, the out-of-print sourcebook "Tir Tairngire" has the most information. Some passing information about it is in the back of SR3, but not much. The Sixth World wiki isn't much helpful, either, except for their unofficial guide to Portland forked from NAGEE. I may try to rectify that situation in the upcoming weeks, but there's a LOT of material there and I'm trying not to touch the "nation" stuff on the Wiki.

Ancient History has a list of the Immortal Elves on his site which provides some background information on the Council of Princes:
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Immortals.htm

There's also a Sperethiel dictionary:
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Sperethi..._Dictionary.htm

That enough for ya?

*tosses down an "Elven Fire" book, which bursts into smoke, obscuring hahnsoo's escape*
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Which one? The war in 2037, or the one in 2053?

The first one, in '36 and '37.
DrJest
I'm behind the times on CalFree - what's the state of the Resistance down there these days?
torzzzzz
Thanks for that Fortune that is plenty to keep me going!

torz x smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 9 2005, 08:07 AM)
Thanks for that Fortune that is plenty to keep me going!

torz x smile.gif

*blinks* No offense, Fortune, but I certainly hope I haven't turned into you.
torzzzzz
ooops sorry hahnsoo!!! looking at the wrong name whilst typing responce and trying to make a phone call!

*grovel, grovel!!*
torz x
hermit
Critas, the US is a bad example for the average level of nationalism, especially in a country with strong ethnic and racial tensions (such as Tir). I personally think of the Tirs more like of some sort of warped version of an Arab state, with the entire country being led by a minority, be those Sunni Arabs (Saddam Iraq), the Alawite tribe (Syria) or Tutsi (Rwanda, and we all know how that went down, don't we?).

If a significant portion of the populace - as in, non-Elves - are alienated by the government, downtrodden and the target of massive prejudice and inequality, it would porpably *help* Hestaby that she wiped out, as you referred to it, the 101st airborne.

If that 101st airborne was made up mainly of elves (elite units in dictatorships tend to be made up of people who aren't of the disadvantaged, if only to keep the chance of the presidental guard mutineering as low as possible), the downtrodden non-elves wouldn't give a fuck - or even rejoice that she opened those pointy-eared oh-so-superior bastards a remarkably large can of asskick. Noone of those downtrodden would give much about dead elves, because they never had an elf friend, let alone family, and always were on the receiving end of elf racism.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 9 2005, 10:02 PM)
Which one? The war in 2037, or the one in 2053?

The first one, in '36 and '37.

Ah. Well what does that have to do with Hestaby and her spin-doctoring? She didn't even show up until the 2053 incident.
Demonseed Elite
On Hestaby:

Hestaby repelled a small Tir strike force aiming for a quick and decisive capture of the Shasta Dam. It is very likely, especially in Tir Tairngire, that the common people do not even know the event ever happened. It is possible that Hestaby was involved in the "militia response" that forced the Tir forces back in the 30s, but it wasn't a visible presence, and so it doesn't mark her reputation in the Tir at all.

Also remember: Tir Tairngire is not a democracy. The Council of Princes is not elected by the people. In countless authoritarian governments around the world, there is this phenomenon where the populace "loves" the unelected official; at least until it seems like he can be realistically overthrown. Iraqis claimed to have loved Saddam Hussein when he was in power, but these days, most of them speak more freely. The Tir has a lot of social pressure on its populace; even those people who don't actually like Hestaby aren't going to go around saying they dislike a Prince. They are going to say they love her! So is Hestaby really immensely popular, or is she pulling a Saddam Hussein ("Hey look, I got 99.9% of the popular vote!")?

On Saito:

Really, moreso than Hestaby, Saito is the 800 lb. gorilla that needs to be dealt with if anything changes in California. He's got a big spot of turf right in the middle (well, not exactly the middle) of the nation, and with San Diego belonging to Aztlan and Los Angeles now in Pueblo hands, he's got a majority of the population in his control of San Francisco.

Could Saito thrive, longterm? Maybe. With continued megacorporate backing and continued support from the anti-metahuman local militias, it's possible. But I suspect that his megacorporate backing is going to wane as the Japanacorps realize that the new Japanese Emperor isn't going away very quickly and is in fact gaining more power. And I also suspect that the local militia elements, flush with their recent successes, might start to build their own power players, and start suddenly remembering that Saito isn't Californian, he's Japanese.

The bigger problem, from a storyline perspective, seems to be that it's really hard to do much with the rest of California while Saito's sitting there. Like EB (I think it was EB) said, there's been very little mention of the central government or even the Central Valley. If the Central Valley gets too powerful, they should be able to put up a serious fight against Saito; if they are too weak, they become ignored. Yet at the same time, even if they are too weak, Saito's had trouble expanding. So it's a bind.

I think I'd personally like to see the rest of California get behind another "warlord" or even a couple. Perhaps influential leaders rising up in the Central Valley or the Big Sur in response to Saito's actions (and even those of the PCC). That would really solidify California as a North American version of the Balkans. Then, further down the line, I think it'd be interesting if someone tried to do some nation-building in California; similar to what went on in Afghanistan, with a combination of trying to establish an elected government and simultaneously dealing with regional warlords. You'd get strange instances where a warlord would be given a cabinet position (Saito as defense minister?) and they still try to flex their muscles (such as one warlord saying he refuses to disarm his followers in his home region). For an even crazier mess, make this new Californian government a parliamentary system, where every half-witted, crazy Californian political activist group/tribe/cult can run for seats.

Personally, I'd also like to see California get back Los Angeles in this whole process, but I'm not sure exactly how that would be accomplished. Maybe Pueblo has more problems controlling the Mojave than they can deal with, or maybe they have bigger problems with Aztlan aggression from the south, and can't afford to concentrate so much of their military so far west.
FlakJacket
Or as someone on the boards suggested maybe Los Angeles wasn't the main target at all but a secondary objective.
Fortune
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
No offense, Fortune, but I certainly hope I haven't turned into you.

I can certainly think of worse people that you could turn into. nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Ah. Well what does that have to do with Hestaby and her spin-doctoring? She didn't even show up until the 2053 incident.

Demonseed Elite covered it pretty well.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Personally, I'd also like to see California get back Los Angeles in this whole process, but I'm not sure exactly how that would be accomplished. Maybe Pueblo has more problems controlling the Mojave than they can deal with, or maybe they have bigger problems with Aztlan aggression from the south, and can't afford to concentrate so much of their military so far west.

I think it would be a neat idea if the (non Japanese) corps started backing a particularly charismatic politician, whose stirring speeches began to gather anyone with even a scrap of Californian pride together and pushes all the foreign invaders out of Cal. Of course, the trick is he's a social adept of the Twisted Way, and it all comes back to bite everyone in the ass when he turns into an insane warmonger with legions of devoted "patriots" backing him up.

Ah well, something for an elseworlds campaign I guess. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 10 2005, 12:29 AM)

Demonseed Elite covered it pretty well.

I don't think it's a valid explanation, though. Again, the Tir have masters of spin leading them; any enemy is a good enemy (we are at war with Eurasia).

~J
Fortune
As DE said, there is no real reason for the general Tir public to even know anything about the latter offensive against the Dam. It was not really part and parcel of any war, and the Princes would probably rather hush it up than appear to have egg on their faces.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 9 2005, 03:06 PM)
I don't think it's a valid explanation, though. Again, the Tir have masters of spin leading them; any enemy is a good enemy (we are at war with Eurasia).

Which is another reason I'm pretty sure the 2053 Shasta Dam incident was supposed to be a covert op. Here's how I see it going down: the elves try to destabalize the NorCal region by blowing up the dam, then come down as a peacekeeping or disaster-assistance force, quickly setting up shop and taking over the place. Basically a copy of what Japan did to SF and Pueblo did to LA. Hes stopped them, however, and announced their plans and her role in them (read: spun it like a sugar sculpture) before the elves even knew the mission had failed. The Tirs naturally couldn't retaliate withou showing their hand, and in this case Hes was holding all the cards. Thus the reason the news was all over the shadows but apparently never made it to the Tir public.

As for 2037, the elves couldn't actually link Hestaby with that one at the time, as her existence didn't become publically known fir another 15 years (assuming she was even awake back then), so I don't think they're going to try this late in the game.
Kagetenshi
Is there a quote to back up his assertion that it was just a small raid? I remember no such thing from CFS, though it has been some time since I read it.

~J
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 9 2005, 04:21 PM)
Is there a quote to back up his assertion that it was just a small raid? I remember no such thing from CFS, though it has been some time since I read it.

Well, the only places I've found about it is are a footnote in the SR3 main book--and only there because it's the first "public" act of Hestaby--and as a similarly short footnote in the CFS sourcebook timeline on p. 18. Oh, and this:

QUOTE (p. 34 CFS)
Hestaby asserted her authority over the dam by stopping a Tir Tairngire strike force dead in its tracks.

And that's *it*. The incident isn't even mentioned in her section in Dragons of the Sixth World or anywhere in the Tir Tairngire sourcebooks, indicating at least to me that it wasn't a particularly important offensive to the Tirs.
Critias
2053: Tir forces attack northern CFS.  They are repelled at Shasta Dam by Hestaby with heavy casualties.

They (edit: Rinelle ke'Tesrae) received an influx of support when the great dragon Hestaby took a seat on the Council of Princes.  The bitter memories of her murderous activities during the 2053 border conflict are still fresh in the minds of many.

Hestaby is a hated and feared enemy of the Tir people.  Hundreds of families lost sons and daughters to her claws during the last border war.

...but point the blame at the right place:  at the princes who ordered an invasion and used the gentry as cannon fodder in a war we didn't want.

There was lots of panic...when Hestaby's new position was annouced.  A few Tir cities exploded with riots...

I'll readily admit that not having Dragons of the Sixth World might have me out of some sort of "loop" here, but these are the quotes that give me the impression I've got (the impression that makes sense, to me) of how most citizens of the Tir think of Hestaby. They're all from various pages of the Tir Tairngire chapter of SoNA. I'm not sure where any other relevent information about Hestaby and her position could be, which is why I'm assuming it's DotSW that has information on her suddenly being beloved by all (or whatever)...

Again, just reading over this chapter to find stuff to post makes me think it was much more than some super-secret stealth raid that went at Shasta -- and unless more info is given in some book I don't have, I'm not sure where anyone does get the idea that's all it was. There's talk about how it's a whole invasion, a war, hundreds of casualties to her personally, widespread knowledge of the battle amongst the Tir people, and in fact, the attack (not "on Shasta Dam," but "on northern CFS") was the only news for that year. It was a big enough deal people stood up to the notoriously trigger happy Peace Force to riot when she was given the job...

...and somewhere, somehow, some other book has her popular?

I'm the first to admit the Tir's not your average country, with your average sense of nationalism and patriotism; remember, though, I've never mentioned nationalism. Rather, I've mentioned (as does the above quote) the personal sense of danger and loss that comes from having a heavily militarized society (mandatory enlistment periods) and hundreds of soldiers die in a single fight against (apparently) a single being. I don't think it's a matter of national pride or solidarity that would lead the Tir people towards disliking her -- I think it's the fact that she killed your cousin, y'know?
Kagetenshi
I still don't buy it, but I'll grant that it's a possibility.

Edit: and Critias comes through with the book support. Thanks smile.gif

~J
Critias
Heheh. Don't thank me. I felt like a one legged man in an asskicking contest all morning at work, 'cause I didn't have a book to back me up an' everyone was all "small specops raid" and "no one heard about it" and stuff. I didn't post it to back you up, I did to back up the two pages of my own posts. wink.gif
Bandwidthoracle
Well it's definatly not cannon, but my group went to freeCal before SoNA came out, and I as a gm ruled that the city of LA had been the site of a massive infection of the zombies. By the time my players get there everyone worth evacuating has been evacuated, and the still living natives had gotten massivly suspect of anyone who dosen't like sunlight (Big problem for Night One party member). It was really fun, but that was before SoNA correctted me. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Huh, well that sure shut *me* up. Was that all from Shadows of North America? I guess I'd better get that book before I start shooting my mouth off, huh? nyahnyah.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 9 2005, 01:38 AM)
I can easily see all these disparate groups banding together behind a decent leader (who in turn would likely be backed by anyone from Ares to Hestaby or even some sort of Toxic Avenger spirit) and pushing many of the invaders out of California land, starting with Saito and his ilk. I could easily see California re-gathering itself together as a collection of states, a California Republic.

Then you vastly underestimate the amount of hatred seething throughout California in 2064 even compared to today.

The only thing that shocks me about the current governor of Cal is that no one made a much louder attack on the fact that he's a damn furriner.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
The Calfree sourcebook labels it as a Tir specops team, and DotSW called it an invasion push, but that's really about it.

Actually, what it really says is:
QUOTE (California Free State @ 34)
Hestaby asserted her authority over the damn by stopping a Tir Tairngire strike force dead in its tracks.

I also trust the IC description of her by the former Shasta shaman. But that's because, well, I hate dragons.

BTW, Critias, why'd you have to do that? You know I hate being right all the time.
Kanada Ten
The only thing that shocks me about the current governor of Cal is that no one made a much louder attack on the fact that he's a damn furriner.

That's really the reason I see a larger role for the state, with Saito and the Imperial Marines hovering more in the background. Like a set-up similar to Iran.
Crimsondude 2.0
But the central government barely controlled the Central Valley (Of all the places in the state, that's the last place I'd allow the government to operate if I was in agribusiness), and nothing short of a miracle is going to unify California.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

On Saito:

Really, moreso than Hestaby, Saito is the 800 lb. gorilla that needs to be dealt with if anything changes in California. He's got a big spot of turf right in the middle (well, not exactly the middle) of the nation, and with San Diego belonging to Aztlan and Los Angeles now in Pueblo hands, he's got a majority of the population in his control of San Francisco.

San Francisco is not even the biggest city within a days walk from it's boarder.

You have San Jose.

Then other major cities are as noted Sacramento, Oakland, Berkeley. San Francisco, has the fame because it was there first,and has more culturally relavent things.

San Jose is a sprawl. You go to any point any San Jose, and then go 15 miles in any way, you will basically be in the same place. They have malls, and housing, school and everything you need, but they don't have a real down town, up town, or anything close to planned zoning. By the way, San Jose is largely what people think of when they say the silicon valley,and as i recall that are is largely controlled by Ares.

When sahdowrun fist started San Jose was largely than San Francisco, and that growth has not stopped.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
But the central government barely controlled the Central Valley (Of all the places in the state, that's the last place I'd allow the government to operate if I was in agribusiness), and nothing short of a miracle is going to unify California.

Indeed. I was thinking that each region would have control over its own militia and x number of votes in parliament, a parliament who's strength is largely impotent (like the UN) with only the threat of Imperial intervention should it go that far. Saito and crew would spend most of their time playing the factions off of each other while the japanacorps slowly devour each piece of the pie.

Ares, the PCC, and the Northern Cresent would be part of a strategic alliance, making for a simmering arms race in the background.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Then you vastly underestimate the amount of hatred seething throughout California in 2064 even compared to today.

And you (as well as most of the SR writers) underestimate the unifying force of several large foreign armies slowly encroaching on your territory, particularly in a state that's historically been able to gear up to wartime production in a big way when properly motivated (not something my hippie classmates at Berkeley liked to talk about, but they tended to have a lot of problems with the big picture.)

And most of California doesn't give a damn that the governor is a foreigner. People are starting to get a little miffed that he's not getting nearly as much done as he said he would, but that's true for every politician ever to campaign. At least he's better than Gay Davis.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 9 2005, 06:22 PM)

And you (as well as most of the SR writers) underestimate the unifying force of several large foreign armies slowly encroaching on your territory, particularly in a state that's historically been able to gear up to wartime production in a big way when properly motivated (not something my hippie classmates at Berkeley liked to talk about, but they tended to have a lot of problems with the big picture.)

And most of California doesn't give a damn that the governor is a foreigner. People are starting to get a little miffed that he's not getting nearly as much done as he said he would, but that's true for every politician ever to campaign. At least he's better than Gay Davis.

Hey you, don't you dare compare the govenator to Davis. I like Davis, I don't see him a hero, but he was damned bush waked and he got the blame for other people's problem.

As for the govenator being "damn furriner"... That is funny, I know many people who totally hate the man, and not one of them hates him because he is a "damn furriner".
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Hey you, don't you dare compare the govenator to Davis. I like Davis, I don't see him a hero, but he was damned bush waked and he got the blame for other people's problem.

Dude, the man bought out the other party's candidate in the last election. You don't get much sleazier than that. He also rolled over for the power companies's if not manufactured then at least exaggerated power crisis, putting the state billions of dollars into debt to companies like Enron who later cut and ran. I'd hardly call him innocent.
Slipshade
I generally agree with Eyeless Blond. The Cal Free book is mostly worthless. It completely ignored the power that California really has. I have pretty much tossed a majority of the cannon out the window when running and have made up my own history. I run the Cal Free government as a large argicorp in its own right. Since agriculture is one of its most important exports and a huge bargaining chip with dealing with foreign powers, they would have moved to protect its assets immediatly. I know by cannon they couldn't but I have worked things out a bit differently in my version of the Shadowrun Universe.

I am going to start a new campaign that is cannon based and involves the PC's supporting a charismatic underdog candidate in the next Cal Free election, so they will be dealing with getting the various factions of the Northern Cresent, Big Sur and the Bay Area as well as the California Rangers and other former UCAS military personal together to support a new regime in Cal Free. It sould be a lot of fun and a lot of work.

Slip
Kagetenshi
In the Shadowrun world, California doesn't have the power you think it does, and in real life it'd be quite easy for it to lose it as well.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
And you (as well as most of the SR writers) underestimate the unifying force of several large foreign armies slowly encroaching on your territory

"Your" territory? Who the hell are you kidding? It's the corps' territory through and through. And since they don't seem to care, I don't imagine much of the people caring when they can hate each other so much more easily.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 9 2005, 05:00 PM)

Did I say most? No. The one thing that CFS does have going for it is that it doesn't hide that fact that there are some very hate-filled people living in California.

QUOTE (Slipshade)
I am going to start a new campaign that is cannon based and involves the PC's supporting a charismatic underdog candidate in the next Cal Free election, so they will be dealing with getting the various factions of the Northern Cresent, Big Sur and the Bay Area as well as the California Rangers and other former UCAS military personal together to support a new regime in Cal Free.  It sould be a lot of fun and a lot of work.

Until he inevitably gets assassinated, or wakes up from the BTL hallucinations.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Saito and crew would spend most of their time playing the factions off of each other while the japanacorps slowly devour each piece of the pie.

Isn't that just the status quo?

Ares, the PCC, and the Northern Cresent would be part of a strategic alliance, making for a simmering arms race in the background.

Alliance? If they could form an alliance, then Saito would be history. Which is kind of the whole point I'm trying to make. Actually, I'll let someone else make my argument.

QUOTE (Niccolo Machiavelli. The Prince (Mansfield 2nd ed.) @ 66)
For one can say this generally of men: that they are ungrateful, fickle, pretenders, and dissemblers, evaders of danger, eager for gain.

California is screwed, and nothing short of a miracle is going to fix that, or unify the country.

And maybe I'm just a ruthless, cold-hearted bastard who sees no reason to make things better in any part of the SR universe on a meta-level. Sure, there is the occassional spot on pleasantness, but anything good that happens in SR beyond the lives of small groups of individuals is forced upon me by canon. I learned long ago that there's no good in SR being positive. Regardless, I see that I have a vision of California which differs tremendously from many of you, and nothing is going to change that fact.
Slipshade
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
In the Shadowrun world, California doesn't have the power you think it does, and in real life it'd be quite easy for it to lose it as well.

~J

I agree that the Shadowrun world is different, which is why I changed it in my game, but it would take a lot to loose the real world power that California has.

Now that is not to say that they could hold their own against the US or a foreign Superpower, but it would not be "quite easy" for it to loose its influence and power.

Slip
Kanada Ten
Alliance? If they could form an alliance, then Saito would be history.

Not really. Ares can't attack him due to the Corporate Court, the PCC doesn't have the military resources to do more than annoy him (and without someone to watch their back (CAS cough) Aztlan could roll over their weak points. Hestby, Ares and the PCC are already shown to be cooperating in the shadows, so this would be more of an open "if he attacks you we'll snipe his troops" kind of agreement. At best, they could contain the Protectorate.

(Kanada Ten)
Saito and crew would spend most of their time playing the factions off of each other while the japanacorps slowly devour each piece of the pie.

Isn't that just the status quo?

With a lime.
Slipshade
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Mar 9 2005, 07:39 PM)
Until he inevitably gets assassinated, or wakes up from the BTL hallucinations.

California is screwed, and nothing short of a miracle is going to fix that, or unify the country.

Well that part will be mostly up to the PC's smile.gif If there is one thing about gaming that I know it is anything can happen when PC's are involved.

As to the second point, well again, look for a miracle in the minds of your players, because they can usually come up with some outlandish stuff. Remember just because they will support a new regime doesn't mean that it won't have its problems. smile.gif

I don't want Cal Free to be a Utopia, I just prefer a different kind of messed up. I simply like the idea of Cal Free as its own state, not fractured entity it currently is. That doesn't mean I want it to loose any of the grit, horror and shear oppression that is the game we all enjoy.

Slip
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Slipshade)
Now that is not to say that they could hold their own against the US or a foreign Superpower, but it would not be "quite easy" for it to loose its influence and power.

Slip

California's primary strength by far is agricultural productivity. As a result of pollution and the Great Ghost Dance, there's the potential for that to have been severely damaged, leaving it a prize to fight over certainly but no significant power of its own. Take away agriculture and you take away its ability to sustain itself.

~J
Slipshade
Except that neither of those things effected the agricultural output of California, even the Cal Free book calls it the bread basket of the world.

I am just saying it wouldn't be easy. It would be hard. Now if you want that to happen in your version of SL that is cool. I just don't like it in mine.

Slip
Kagetenshi
You have a point, so another tactic: most of the agricultural wealth goes to the agribusinesses, not to California. The value is still there, but the government has lost it.

~J
Slipshade
In Cannon you are correct that is what happened, I choose to play it as Cal Free snatched up the land and business after succeeding and before the Agricorps could move in on all of it. Again, just the way I have run it and certainly not cannon.

Slip
Kanada Ten
Strange, since Aztechnology is called the world's largest producer of foodstuffs. And then again in Threats 2 or SoNA they talk about the agricorps and devastation caused by pollution level use of pesticides. I'll see if I can find a quote.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Slipshade)
I don't want Cal Free to be a Utopia, I just prefer a different kind of messed up. I simply like the idea of Cal Free as its own state, not fractured entity it currently is. That doesn't mean I want it to loose any of the grit, horror and shear oppression that is the game we all enjoy.

I actually like the idea of California fractured. Given the background of SR, and ignoring the improbable (like why the Japanese took over SF and not L.A.) it makes perfect sense.

The other thing is, my perspective on California has a definite southland flavor, which is one of the reasons why I don't think everything is hopeless (that and it's Gibsonian, which blows) but why I think that any good is pretty much grounded in the micro-economic and regional venue. Macro events are ... bad. And a lot of bad things happen to a lot of people--rich, poor, powerful, downtrodden, (in)famous, and mundane alike.

All of which may have absolutely no correlation when it comes to northern California.
Slipshade
Crimson,

And I am comming from a NorCal perspective, which tends to care about only what is North of LA, so I see no problem with what the SR universe did in SoCal. Different perspective, different likes I guess.

Typical attitudes though. NorCal tends to dislike SoCal and SoCal just forgets NorCal is even there most of the time. smile.gif

Slip
Cynic project
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 9 2005, 06:57 PM)

Dude, the man bought out the other party's candidate in the last election. You don't get much sleazier than that. He also rolled over for the power companies's if not manufactured then at least exaggerated power crisis, putting the state billions of dollars into debt to companies like Enron who later cut and ran. I'd hardly call him innocent.

I could go into the power problem we had, but then I would have to get into a long list of names, that would strangely have a lot to do with the GOP. But I am not going to go into that shit storm, cause that would be off topic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012