Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Streets of Sorrow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
FlipShow
Those who show weakness would have their hands full with Kiedo's PC...
I imagine that a homicidal troll with the munchies would be an absolute nightmare to hang with. wobble.gif

Hey, how long has everyone been with the 7S?
Sandoval Smith
Not quite as long as there's been an 7S, but Survivor been's there pretty much since the begining.
WinterRat1
Heh, probably about 1-2 months. He's pretty much a relative unknown quantity in the gang at this point.
Cydlexia
Not very long Harald (Hênni) more than likely learn about the gang through Mitch while he was spending a little vacation time in one of Seattle's prison's for a bit of smuggling just out side of Reno. All thought there was a charge of active piracy included and a validated count of passport fraud. ((Well that is only a manner of opinion in his terms. I mean hey if your a register member of the caribbean League and smuggling through a south Florida port wouldn't you falsify you're ID as well. ))
Anyway he got 9years and was sent to a Pin is Seattle for detainment reasons. Why? Still a mystery to him. Once he was released and left with nothing in the big City more than likely he looked up the Troll, who by then was a full member himself. And the rest well that is to be seen.

(( sorry I am new to this forum and would have had this posted but Cannot do the Spoiler thing yet... If any one is will'ing to show me the coding for that little handy tid-bit of info I would appreciate it ))
Thanks Rastaman.....

[ Spoiler ]
HobbeGoblin
We're already interacting, this is great. And yes Kiedo does have the dark side on this one.( talk about skeletons in the closet...wooo). This should be a good campaign the way things are shaping up.And yes it would be ironic for the werewolf ( sorry...wolf shifter) to be the most personal PC. I'm thinking the Rasta will most likely be the social one although Tatsu may actually be a street level face ( i havent seen the character only the concept). Hey Beav...i like the concept, i have a book you need to look in for B&E equipment. Also an active skill of lockpicking...in the area youre at its mostly locks not maglocks due to the cost and that the buildings are old.
fuhok
i hoped you would like it. i'll make time this week to check out that book plus i have a few questions. beav.
i also look forward to gettin eiree wit the rasta mon.
HobbeGoblin
Hey beav, you got plans Saturday? was thinking of having the parents over and your family for some home-made chicken and dumplins.I'm on springbreak this week so i can meet you to drop off the book.
HobbeGoblin
Are any of the characters ( presently) in possession of any gear with an avail above 5? I'll need a good reason from you as to why, and if anyone is taking more than 90,000 in resourses i'll need an explaination as well. if you can reasonably explain these things, then reasonably i can accept them.

Also any flaws that are or should be a common occurance in the game can you give me a heads up( i miss things occassionally)

I like how this is campaign is developing and we have room for more if you know anyone who is interested.

is anyone or collectively are any members donating money to increase the gangs number? it isnt mandatory or even expected so, dont worry about that.

There are 17 NPC gangers presently, not including The gangleader and the War Boss ( Kaze, and Bad-Bones)
* remember the special gang tattoo's for killing for the gang? Bad-Bones's has his entire hand and his arm upto his elbow tattooed, hence the streetname"Bad-Bones". Bad-Bones is getting out of prison the same time the rest of you who are just getting out are. Bad-Bones has been locked up at the infamous Silcox Island Pennitetary.( check page 125 of New Seattle for discription)

I see most of you are playing Hardcore members, you are decision makers and plot shapers. It isnt mandatory to begin as a hardcore, just nice too. You should begin thinking of what niche you want to perform in the gang. Kiedo has already spoken for collections. Cydlexia is performing as a counselor/ advisor( it fits the totem) i've listed in previous posts the various "dealings" the serpents are into...however if you think of a new one, find a way to bring it into the game. A new source of income brings you a cut, and prestige. Remember if a spot opens up for higher leadership it's the "performers" that are looked at to move up a notch.( there is a seed i've just planted there) To sum it up....be proactive, be creative, be the hungry ganger mad at the very streets he prowls to scratch out an existence.( it's a love/hate relationship after-all)

Oh man...i looked around and saw i was on the Soap box again
Cydlexia
Yo.. yo.. Beave...

Ya' know môn, Ras Tafari always ha'z de' time ta' share gonga!
we' côn play out da' ryth'em on a zhim-ba, tel'n tales of ole' times rez'son.
FlipShow
It seems odd that quite a few of our characters are being released at the same time. How do we explain that?

Could it be that an overcrowded Seattle prison was forced to reduce population and reduce sentences?
HobbeGoblin
Actually it is due to certain influences/ pressures ( the Yaks put the fix in). Also it stands that the star would have done a sweep to pick up as many of us as they could....that means release dates are close. Also not everyone is just getting out...Tatsu, kiedo's troll,and Bad-Bones (npc) are the only ones recently released as the game starts.Bad-Bones has been in for 3 years. Those are the only 3 recent releases all the others have been inside but not recently.
fuhok
you know beav always got da time to smoke someone elses gonga.
fuhok
hobbe sounds good
fuhok
hobbe, how about tommorow afternoon
Cydlexia
O' yo Hobb? ... ya need you're Shadowrunner Compainion book back I got my Edges and Flaws... When I get home tonight I will post my PC and background for poruzal...
Be kind! it's been some time since I have made a Player in this Games Setting so something's may be a bit rusty. I have forgotten all the details on Seattle for example so if things don't quite match up to locations in the setting (( shugs )) sue me i'll give you my lawerys number. nyahnyah.gif LOL just kid'in i'll work out the kinkx....
FlipShow
Tatsu (just 'Tats' to some) just spent a couple weeks in San Francisco immediately after his release. He was basically shopped around for a yakuza sponsor in the Bay Area but he has nearly as many bones as BadBones and was decidedly too hot a package to handle when you throw in that police record. He was close to being sent back to the Kansai area in Japan, but was able to convince his advisors that he could still make a difference in the Seattle area with the 7 Serpents. The gumi want some noticable results.

Though he was not stepped up into the syndicate, it was a nice vacation atmosphere to enjoy after the 4 hard years in the can. He has returned to Seattle in time to help prepare the welcome party for Bad-Bones and Kiedo's Troll (Legion?).
Kiedo
Legion and Bad-bones both were in silcox together and set up a small outpost of the 7S, with bad-bones as the leader of course. Legion handled the "getting things from people" aspect while the more charasmatic(what is he by the way elf, human what?) Bad-bones handled everything else. Legion's natural ability to get people to do what he wants(he like to think of it as he's just that influencial, but really it's the fact that he has close to as many bones as Bad-bones himself, which ironically is where he got his nickname, for the legions of people he has "sent on"), impressed Bad-bones and thats why he made liutenant, official after the party.

Henni and legion met before he was transfered to silcox for "breaking" a couple prison gaurds who were trying to beat up his new friend(Cydlexia if thats not cool tell me I'll change it).
FlipShow
Do they isolate prisoners by Awakened or metahuman status at Silcox?
Cydlexia
Sounds kick'in ta' me Kiedo... Theres alot of transferences once your inside so ya go where they tell yeah.
fuhok
its lawyer you cydlexic freak
HobbeGoblin
They send the mojomen elsewhere...Silcox would keep adepts there. No they don't seperate by Metahuman type ( its unconstitutional...lol)

Bad-Bones appears as a big human, after spending time with him he has some ork'ish features.

Tat's (Flipshow) you need to message me about your "relationship" with the Yaks in Cali ok? ( i see hooks here)

I'm not trying to one up anyone on the body count here. Bad-Bones was created prior to my beginning post and is a vital npc and as such...his tattoos and rep are placed high for that reason. ( ooc...Legion is probably the leader in body count, with Tatsu and Bad-Bones rivaling.) Bad-Bones does lead in killing for the gang, that's where he's made his bones and that affords him respect.

Lets see if i can clarify it some: ( hopefully yall are familiar with some Military)
Bad-Bones is like a mean-a@@ sergeant-major with some serious battle experience and medals to prove it. The young recruits and veterans look up to him he's been there for the gang...he's a step away from being the leader himself for a reason. He has the street cred and the muscle.Not knocking anyones concept he's larger than life as an npc.
FlipShow
Unconstitutional? Doing time with a troll in for violent crime as your cellmate is unconstitutional. dead.gif

(HobbeGoblin, I sent you a message.)
fuhok
so listen up chummers. I'm dane some of you know me, some of you don't.
The ones that do propably haven't seen me since I got out 2 years ago.So if you need some work done on your bike I'm the man to see.I'm also the man to see about other things as well. If I can't scam it I'll sure as drek steal it.
Cydlexia
haha... Thank you Fuhok...
I had'nt notice there was a english teacher in the room. wink.gif
I will send all my posts by message to ya. That way you can prof-read them for me and caught all those pesky little typo's my fat fingers leave in. biggrin.gif
HobbeGoblin
tomorrow...where at and what time beav? also are you free saturday?
HobbeGoblin
Cydlexia...you and I know why he can spell Lawyer correctly ..ha
Cydlexia
Put a lot of money in there coffers?
HobbeGoblin
yeah..why do you think i'm going to law school?
fuhok
cyd has been down down too, just not as often.

besides knowing hobbe he's gonna be too expexsive

that proff. fuhok to you cyd
HobbeGoblin
expensive but worth it...my fees include my sneakiness and vindictive nature for free. not to mention natural aptitude.
Cydlexia
hehe.... Works fer' me
Cydlexia
Send me a message on your concept Beav... I am curious to check out this clept 'to you got in the works....
fuhok
i will when i get back from getting the kiddo
HobbeGoblin
he's changing a dirty diaper...be back in a minute.....ah fatherhood
HobbeGoblin
anyone heard from WinterRat or Sandoval?
Hope theyre still interested, i found thir concepts really good
FlipShow
They are both around... online as I type this post, according to the main page (active in the last 15 minutes).

What kinda groupies do the 7 Serpents get? I mean who are the typical wannabes, the halfways?

Why do I have all of these questions?

Why?
Sandoval Smith
I just haven't had much to say in the sixteen hours since my last post. biggrin.gif

This is some stuff I was discussing with FlipShow, but is equally relevant to the gang at large.

Any character that can astrally percieve should be able to figure out his true nature pretty quick. However, secrets are always important to keep, especially in a case like this. If it became common knowledge that there was a 'shifter in the gang, enemies will start bringing to bear heavier weaponry to better deal with that kind of threat. That would bode ill for the survival of everyone else too.

Survivor (I really need to find a short name for him) would be an excellent sub lieutenant to bring along for collections (not so good to lead them, since with him in a leading position, aggression, hard resistance, or attempts at 'dominance' from the victims would pretty quickly provoke him to violence). However, when someone else was in the lead, he would be a very reliable member, keeping himself leashed until given the order otherwise.

When he's kicking back, his interests tend to focus on food, sleep, women, and TV, generally in that order.

*edit*
He's also not really keen on all that tatooing that goes around in the gang, since he needs to get all of his redone every few weeks. The 7Serpents sign he'll get redone as needed. The bones, and other tattoos he wants to retain, he'll get drawn in permanent dye. That will at least make them quicker to reapply when they've faded.
fuhok
daddy back from the delivery room
cyd i sent you your request
HobbeGoblin
are you asking if there are chicks around Flipshow the answer is yes. The serpents like any other gang has its fill of wannabes hanging out, chicks looking for the bad boys etc... you have these questions because you are looking for the ideas that will give you a mental picture of the campaign. ( or to test me)

Glad to see you Sandoval....if you want a sub-role then that's fine.
HobbeGoblin
I like the questions...it makes me put in writing what is in my head and it shows interest in the game. I've thought out the campaign and have any answers you want. ( the meaning of life, life is.......)
FlipShow
It is good to know the characters get laid but I was curious about the kind of people who want to become Serpents.

What kind of initiation rites did we each endure?

Who are the people that are hounding (Not Survivor) the gangers about joining up? The most junior member NPCs would be of this stock.
Sandoval Smith
Heh, nice pun.

Just to clarify, I meant 'sub lieutenant' in terms of he'd probably be a right hand man, but rarely a leader. He doesn't have the temperment to be an alpha male, and so in circumstances other then 'we're going into this gang's territory, and we're going to mess them up' he doesn't do very well in leadership roles.
FlipShow
Ha. No, I am not trying to test you at all. I have confidence that you have planned this well. That is why I am asking, because you do have a very rich environment in mind. It is great and it shows. The more background that we all have will only keep up the interest and help us to integrate our charcter's BG more deeply into your vision.

Wow, it kinda sounds like I need to remove my lips from your ass now.
*throws the bird to sorta even things out*
fuhok
wanted to see if this works

[ Spoiler ]
fuhok
i like it

[ Spoiler ]
FlipShow
[ Spoiler ]
Sandoval Smith
[ Spoiler ]
Kiedo
[ Spoiler ]
WinterRat1
I'm here. It just seemed like it was mostly discussion of personal RL stuff, so I didn't have much to say. Flipshade sent me the following questions which I figured I could just answer in public (apologies if it was supposed to be private Flip, hope no ill feelings for the public answer?)

I'd like to say that our characters know each other, but you have joined so recently. Prior to joining the gang, did you have any interaction with them?

In what other circles would your character be popular?

Tatsu has dealt with chopshops, gambling rooms, bunraku parlors, smuggling dens and more. Anything?

To answer a few things that have been brought up...

1. More than likely, Lee would not have had much interaction, really NONE before joining the gang. He grew up in a middle class, suburban environment. So popular circles would include corp circles, academic circles, suburban upper class circles, that kinda stuff. The only experience he had with shady places was when he bought Cassandra's contract from a bunraku parlor. Other than the visit, subsequent negotiations, and quick exit, that's about the long and the short of his time there.

2. As far as his role, well that's kind of the point. He's an anomaly. The gang didn't expect him to make it in, in fact, they only let him try for laughs cause they figured he'd never cut it. The fact that he did is both puzzling and intriguing, because they can't understand how a quiet, sort of bookwormy, well, almost a nerd, could kill seven people in seven days, and feel really no afteraffects (that anyone can see). It's just not normal behavior, especially from someone with his background.

That said, he obviously has a talent for killing people, and on top of that, he's smart. Compared to everyone else, he's probably a genius. Intelligence ratings aside (I'm thinking in role-playing terms) he has a college degree. Actually, two of them. And a masters. He's a CPA (or whatever the equivalent is in 2064). Probably has more schooling that the rest of the gang put together or close to it.

Frankly, I envisioned his role being four things:
- Killer: He's obviously good at it, somehow, someway. And more interesting, doing it quietly and unnoticed. He's not big and scary and mean, and he doesn't have a body count like Legion or Bad-Bones, but he's definitely good at killing people, just in a different way than them. He has not taken credit for the murders, so really the only ones who know he did it is the 7 Serpents. Everyone else is at a loss as to the killer and his methods. So that's definitely a role for him, silent but deadly (and scary as a result) killer.

-Accountant/Businessperson: He knows business. He's good at numbers, he has an education. Frankly, not many want to do the bookkeeping and numbercrunching, but he's not only good at it, he likes it. Probably this would lend him to a strategist/planner time as far as potential operations.

- Mystery Man: Since he's new to the gang, they really haven't figured out what to make of him. He's tough, but not street tough. He doesn't brag, he's not intimidating, he's bland and really under the radar. That's a rarity in the gang world and they're still trying to figure out what to do about it. Does anyone remember that old Simpsons episode where Homer hires the Mafia to help Marge's pretzel business and the competition responds by hiring the Yaks? In the fight at the end, the one small little guy who stands there doing nothing and Homer says, "Marge, we gotta watch him, he's gotta be able to do something cool cause he's just standing there." Kinda like that. People figure he can do something or else he wouldn't be running with the gang. What that something actually is, however, is a big unknown to most.

- Alternative solution: Finally, one thing they have figured out is that he's not your typical ganger. Surprise surprise. Hence, when they need to 'think outside the box' and employ tactics that are not normal for gangers, he's the guy they call, because he comes from a different place and thinks differently than most gangers (and thus their opposition) and so is a useful 'troubleshooter' so to speak when they need something different than 'here's your target, smash 'em and get the stuff.'

3. Lastly, a quick concern I had in building my character. Is this game going to have an abundance of 'super NPCs' who are really just plot devices that we cannot affect if it's not in the story? For example, reading about Hobbe's comments on Bad Bones. Say Legion wants to kill him and take his spot. Assuming that he makes the rolls and wins fair and square (per the SR rules and rolls) would you let him kill him and take his place, even if perhaps that is not the way you wanted to story to go?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to select powers, skills, and attributes in accordance with what he should have according to his background. That means that he's not going to be as powerful as if I made him...well as powerful as I could make him. nyahnyah.gif If this is going to be a 'plot driven' game (hence my earlier questions on pg. 1) then in my experience it's more important to go for power since all we really do is follow the story anyway, and we won't have the chance to explore any of the 'character driven' aspects of our characters.

Not trying to offend you Hobbe, I just wanted to be clear because it seems the others know your style of game a bit better, and if I'm running around with a shapeshifter, bad ass troll, and bad ass warleader, and this becomes a 'bad ass destroy everything that moves game', this character really isn't going to work very well.

He's designed as an interesting twist on what could happen if someone who has the skills to survive but not the exposure to the world were dropped into gangland, for different reasons than your 'typical' ganger. He's got the toughness to survive and even thrive, and the smarts to adapt and overcome, even make use of the fact that he's not a 'native' of this world, but if it becomes a raw power game, well an adept of the Invisible Way who grew up as a suburbanite turned college boy might not be able to keep pace.

Essentially, I'm buildling him with the ganger creation rules in mind, and it's a big difference if our opposition is running around averaging 2-4 in attributes and skills, with a couple 1s and some 5s and 6s, vs. every enemy we meet having all their attributes and skills on the 4-7 range, you know what I'm saying?

Whew. Well that should be a fairly comprehensive update, I think I've covered every major point brought up by people thus far. I hope I haven't given offense Hobbe with my question/clarification, apologies if I have, again, I'm simply seeking clarification for the type of gang so I can build my character appropriately. No hard feelings? smile.gif

Lastly, at this point as far as character interaction, Lee is staying reserved for the most part, but trying to get to know everyone, especially his fellow hardcore members. In particular, he's trying to learn as much as he can as fast as possible about 'life on the streets'. Most likely he has their respect for his accomplishments, especially given his decisive and impressive (all the more so for their surprise) audition to the gang, but definitely curiosity and the desire to make him more of a 'known' quantity. And oh yeah, he hasn't told anyone he's a physad, just to be clear. Although Survivor can probably tell, being dual natured, since Lee can't mask.
Sandoval Smith
After reading all that, I just have to ask: what is a guy like that doing in a street gang? He could well for himself as a regular shadowrunner, or a with a position in an actual organized crime position.

*edit*
I looked back over your character history, and
He dislikes bullies and those who oppress the weak. Lee really hates people who try to throw their weight around thinking that they’re all that and a bag of chips when really they are not.
That's a lot of what most gangs are. That more than makes you the odd man out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012