Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's Going Down?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
hermit
Unfortunately, I live in Germany, play exclusively with Germans, and can't avoid the occasional time they want to run at home ... or what used to be their home ... and on top of that, in Berlin, arugably my least favourite part in my least favourite book. >_<

And sorry, wasn't sure 'bout the sarcasm, and talking about the Germany SB gets me all worked up. smile.gif Besides, it's late.
BitBasher
As shallow as this is for me to say, not a lot will stop me from buying 4th edition shadowrun, regardless of how it goes... Except if they offed or seriously screwed over Ares. That would make me not ever use the new edition of the game. Ares is too entirely ingrained into my game for me to alter that, and just the fact that they would do that would make me absolutel detest the edition.

It even sounds silly to me, but that's absolutely the truth.
Skeptical Clown
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 31 2005, 09:42 PM)
So, okay, no one can say that any part of the world has been fucked up as much CFS.As in the differences between the real world and the shadowrun . Good. Now, Kag I will say it one more time, I don't want the CFS to become a world power, I want it to become something other than the laughing stock of the world. I mean the the French put up more of a fight in WW2, than the CFS has put up in shadowrun. (no, I do not dislike France)

Every place in Shadowrun is screwed up. CFS is silly. Seattle doesn't make sense. NAN don't make sense. UCAS and CAS don't make sense. Denver really doesn't make sense. All of them are exaggerated and mostly unrealistic. The fact that Shadowrun relied on somewhat hyperbolic, media-induced envisionings of real settings was part of the charm.
hermit
So you're complaining about ... what?
Penta
That Tom Dowd and Co. were on crack when they wrote most of the major locations...
Kanada Ten
The fact that Shadowrun relied on somewhat hyperbolic, media-induced envisionings of real settings was part of the charm.

I agree. I felt they managed to recapture that with SoE and most of the locations. The dark and power hungry RCC, the racist Austria, the xenophobic Swiss, the militantly open Czech.

Cynic wants to know what other places have had nothing good fall into their laps? How about Tsmishian? The Ute? South America? Africa? Even Japan, where the corps may rule and the nation has power, but there the people are slaves in all but name, slaves to technology and culture. Some nations and cultures were wiped from the face of the Earth (Madagascar being only one). And yet California has a chance to be free, it's own nation, it's own power. I'd not complain because the journey is hard, that's what makes it fun to play in. But, I've started to repeat myself.
Penta
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
The fact that Shadowrun relied on somewhat hyperbolic, media-induced envisionings of real settings was part of the charm.

It didn't for me...
Kanada Ten
It "wasn't" for a lot of people. Many don't see the humor in it, and maybe that's because they're not smoking the same crack or they wanted it to be a serious setting. It wasn't meant to be, originally. It was meant to be a parody of a dark future, a fun house mirror of our own world. And, whee! I am repeating myself.
Penta
SR never presented itself as a parody of anything.

Paranoia may have, but not SR.

SR said everything with a straight face.
Kanada Ten
Would you bet on that?
RunnerPaul
And if so, how much?
Skeptical Clown
Parody isn't quite the right word, but the very nature of a dark future is to exaggerate. You can make it straight and turn into horror, or you can make it with a corner of its metaphorical mouth turned up, and make it a grim but humored adventure. Shadowrun had its horror-induced moments (Bug City, Renraku Shutdown), but is mostly the latter.
Kanada Ten
You're right, parody isn't really the right word. Perhaps "taken with a light heart" or as you suggest with a smirk...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
Shadowrun had its horror-induced moments (Bug City, Renraku Shutdown), but is mostly the latter.

And sometimes, the pendulum swung full over to the other side, and you get stuff like the original Food Fight in the SR1 core rulebook. The 3rd edition remake in First Run was ok, but it missed some of the essential flavor.
DrJest
the original Food Fight

some of the essential flavor

GRROOOOAAAANNN!!!! nyahnyah.gif
hermit
I dunno, the core book of SR1 might have been a parody, but apart from a few moments of a bit tongue-in-cheek, the setting was dead almost serious ever after (or Tom Dowd's humour was too subtle for me). That's how I and most others know and play it. That's how we'd like to have it, and from SoE and RA-S and other recent books, I guess that's how the authors envision it, too. It might have started out as a parody of Cyberpunk, but it evolved into a serious setting of it's own right.

The Germany SB wasn't just not serious and laden with prejudices, it was also simply badly written.
Skeptical Clown
The Germany sourcebook wasn't written by the FASA team. The european SR developers had more or less free reign, but most of their stuff was so whacked out and/or bad that it couldn't be reconciled with what the real Shadowrun line was. Which is why it never got to the U.S.

When I say that there was humor, btw, I do not mean that the books were not written more or less straight; if the pages were filled with winks and nudges from the authors, then it really would be parody. The setting takes itself fairly seriously, but we are not meant to. I look to film for an example: movies with that hard, dark edge, like The Maltese Falcon, Pulp Fiction, and even currently Sin City are dark, even depraved stories, but they are not really intended to be totally depressing. Rather, they are to be gleefully enjoyed for their bleakness and impossibly hard edges. If you take Shadowrun too seriously, it turns into Blade Runner, which had the look down pat, but had no sense of humor. That was a dry, dry movie.
hermit
Which is why it never got to the U.S.

Incorrect. FASA published it in the 7200 line. Click the link to read more. Thus, most of it, except for the really warped parts, made it to canon.
Skeptical Clown
"It" is the pronoun of "stuff" not "The Germany Sourcebook." Most of the stuff made by the Euro SR teams never made it to North American shores; Germany SB was the exception, and even that, I believe, took some re-writing as it was translated to try and make it fit.
hermit
"It" is the pronoun of "stuff" not "The Germany Sourcebook."

Okay, my bad then, I guess. smile.gif

Germany SB was the exception, and even that, I believe, took some re-writing as it was translated to try and make it fit.

The equipment, Hamburg, the contacts, and I think some snips in Berlin never made it. The bulk did and entered canon in all it's stupid fantasy-ish pre-bismarck small-scale monarchy uglyness. I don't give a damn about the Glock Drachentöter, or Hamburg for that matter (though it was actually one of the less sucky chapters) ... it'S the entire setting that was just WRONG from the start.
moosegod
I enjoy the SoE conception of Europe, and lacking Germany, I find it pretty cool and fun. I think a lot of people are missing the whole "reversion' kick in SR. We have new Jihads that "happen" to follow the old Jihad routes. Greece is very open... because it has been repeatedly invaded.

The only good thing to come out of California is me. And the only reason that works was that I was born on Camp Pendleton.

As for the purpose of the thread, I doubt any mega will die. Although Novatech may take a major beating, Villiers still owns the seat. Entirely owns it, so anything attached to that corp will be a AAA. And we need ten megas. I mean, the Big Nine?
Grinder
Imo the German sourebooks suck alltogether. They have some nice ideas in it (i liek the flood which destroys big parts of northern Germany), but stupid shit like Berlin or all the small-scale kingdoms are shitty stuff. I have the impression that the german writers try to be "better, faster, more" than their american coutnerparts. North America got it's elven country? Ok, we have one too. North America scattered in many small countries? Ok, we can do so too.

Bah. sarcastic.gif
Skeptical Clown
The jihad stuff is blah; impractical to play with, and far too close to reality for comfort. It's one of my least favorite additions to the game over the years.
Penta
I could figure on the Jihad. It makes sense in a rational manner.

However, simultaneously combining a world where nation-states are weak, as is religion, with dark and conspiratorial Catholic church (beyond it setting off alarms), made no sense.

Nor did the UK (WTF?! Lord Protector???), or...Anything, really. Europe in SR makes no sense, period.

Asia (what I've heard of it) makes some sense. I could almost see a reborn militarism and the like in Japan.

China splitting up agrees, frighteningly, with some scenarios of "The day after" a CCP collapse.

The not-very-strong SE Asian states collapsing, OK.

Oz is a bit screwy, but...Manastorms make that make sense, barely.

Africa makes sense, even (sort of). I could see a general collapse of state structures in Africa, without even blinking.

South America I know too little about to speak of.

North America...Bloody hell, that makes more sense than Europe, but only barely. It's not as insulting to my intelligence, either.

In short: SR's writers coulda used a serious clue about politics, international relations, etc.

Even if one blows the theory to hell, some of the changes make no sense, even accounting for the Awakening and stuff.
hermit
I have the impression that the german writers try to be "better, faster, more" than their american coutnerparts.

Incidentally, that was the first thing I thought when I read that thing too. I was especially pissed about the resurgence of monarchy. I mean, I'd really rather see a Fourth Reich happening.
But worst of all was this ultra leftist university student black block idea of anarchism gaining a foothold in Germany's mainstream. RIGHT. Anarchist Germans, makes about as much sense as united Balkanese. nyahnyah.gif

Even if one blows the theory to hell, some of the changes make no sense, even accounting for the Awakening and stuff.

Yeap. But you have to hand it to the current team that they brought some sense back into SR's background, working with what they had. And as for NA, I like the feeling of a major war brewing there. I'd actually like to see one, if only because NA could really use a major shakeup. Not that I am sure there'll actually be one, though. I just hope it won't mean American Restoration. that'd piss me off. I like the SR world better without the US reintroduced through the back door.
DrJest
The UK... kind of made sense, although it was a little obscure. We'd been suffering under a fairly hardnosed Conservative government for a while, and the predicted backlash that unexpectedly took the Greens to power was not unreasonable. At the same time, the structure of British government would lend itself to the rise of a bastard like the Lord Protector (a title inherited from Cromwell, by the way, it's not an original one).
Vuron
I actually kinda dig the London sourcebook as it was somewhat good at evoking a sinister feel (Knights of Snowdonia to the contrary). Personally I figured it was going for a feel similar to that BBC House of Cards miniseries. Francis Urquhart would be the perfect concept for the Lord Protector.
Skeptical Clown
QUOTE (Penta)
I could figure on the Jihad. It makes sense in a rational manner.

Whether it makes sense or not is not really at the top of my list. Whether it's FUN is. To actually make use of the jihad is nearly impossible. I can reasonably extrapolate enough information about locations in the U.S. or even Europe from my own knowledge and experience to run a campaign in those settings, but I can't do that with the middle east. Plus, in order to make use of the jihad, I'd either have to find it lots of fun to mull over complex sociological issues, or enjoy running a 'Whack-a-Muslim' blow away the terrorists game. Neither of those comfortably fits with any SR game I've ever experienced.

As for 'common sense', in my opinion the attempt to 'normalize' SR is responsible for the blandness of the recent books. It's why I don't like SoNA or SoE much. Shadowrunning isn't a sensible career, and its world is not a sensible one either.
Grinder
QUOTE (hermit)
But worst of all was this ultra leftist university student black block idea of anarchism gaining a foothold in Germany's mainstream. RIGHT. Anarchist Germans, makes about as much sense as united Balkanese. nyahnyah.gif

In the newest german book ("Brennpunkt: ADL") the anarcho even run the shadowland-equivalent. It sucks. Reads like the political fantasy of a 15-year old nerd. So bad, so sad. frown.gif
hermit
To actually make use of the jihad is nearly impossible. I can reasonably extrapolate enough information about locations in the U.S. or even Europe from my own knowledge and experience to run a campaign in those settings, but I can't do that with the middle east. Plus, in order to make use of the jihad, I'd either have to find it lots of fun to mull over complex sociological issues, or enjoy running a 'Whack-a-Muslim' blow away the terrorists game.

Well, propably, that's something more geared for Europeans, who have more than their share of Arabs, and hence, are much more familiar with the culture. And I disagree playing a game involving the Jihad is impossible. the players could be doing the dirty work for one of the factions, assasinating operatives of a Jihadist cell on behalf of the Mossad, or work for the terrorists (now here's a novel idea!) and provide them with intelligence because the terrorists figured out they'd fit in better with the locals than a couple of Middle Easterners. Those are just examples, I'm sure it could be used in more ways. smile.gif

As for 'common sense', in my opinion the attempt to 'normalize' SR is responsible for the blandness of the recent books.

Well, in my opinion, that's what makes the recent book worth their while. Now, we can agree to disagree or yell at each other.

In the newest german book ("Brennpunkt: ADL") the anarcho even run the shadowland-equivalent. It sucks. Reads like the political fantasy of a 15-year old nerd. So bad, so sad.

YAH! I browsed though that book briefly, but I didn't really read it, a couple weeks ago.

And I got the feeling, when reading the original Germany SB, that the Berlin article was written by a 13 year old punk anarchist wannabe (type juvenile may day spectator). Maybe it's the same author?
Skeptical Clown
Assassination was never big in my games. Working for islamic terrorists, even less so. It's just not something that ever jived with SR style.
hermit
Your style maybe. Certainly not mine.

Luckily, this game can be played more than one style. And that's the strength of the current source books - they offer a little bit of everything.
Skeptical Clown
If the strength of the current sourcebooks was that they offered something to everyone, I wouldn't have any complaints.
Synner
We've been over this and we're all better agreeing to disagree and moving on.

The best response we can offer is that the newest sourcebooks try to offer something to everyone. Whether you agree with the results or not is besides the point. It's one of the things Rob drills into us and at least as far as the developer is concerned that's what's being done (otherwise he'd edit relevant changes into the material). Even a book as naturally high-powered as Dragons of the Sixth World has literally dozens of hooks to be used by players who play street level campaigns and are never going to come into contact with the greats mentioned therein.

Every writer is well-aware that we're never going to satisfy everyone. Its actually counterproductive to even try, so as writers we'll settle for satisfying the majority of players - and make no mistake both in terms of sales and fan reviews the current crop of books have proven popular with the majority of players. IMHO, and this in no way reflects FanPro's or Rob Boyle's opinion, if the new approach means drawing new fans at the expense losing a few old timers who are too attached to a percieved "golden age" when Shadowrun material supposedly matched their vision of the game, then so be it (strange how stuff like the Jihad was introduced and entirely developed in First Edition by the developers at the time and only recently revisited in SoE). I've personally met 3 groups of players (upwards of 13 players) who have either gotten back into SR, or have started playing it for the first time since (and largely because) SoE came out - and I live in the ass end of Europe where RPGers are few and far between.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Synner)
[...] I live in the ass end of Europe where RPGers are few and far between.

I think it would be fair to say Europe has at least 3 ass ends, but at least here RPGers are dime a dozen.
Skeptical Clown
Obviously, if Shadowrun is doing much better financially, then I'm wrong. My impression, however, is that sales are increasing in Europe, but not in the United States. I gather this from personal interaction, as nobody I know wants to play SR anymore, and from the fact that I'm hard-pressed to find current Shadowrun books on shelves anymore. And if the game is to be a European Shadowrun instead of a North American one, I think that's a shame... but c'est la vie.
Pthgar
Really? We have more SR players than ever around here (well at least since 92-93 when I started playing.) I find books everywhere; comic shop, FLGS, hobby shops, even frelling Borders (in both the stores near me for crying out loud!). Whats more, they dissappear. I can't be sure, but I think that means they're getting sold.

[edit]One thing I do to get people interested is to tell them that SR was invented by the same guy who created HeroClix, MageNight and BattleTech (the PC game is popular). All popular games. People who like them tend to give SR a try, in my experience.
Synner
I strongly suggest you take a better look round. Even a cursory glance over DSF's main forums will show there's been a major influx of new blood over the past couple of years - and it isn't European. Distribution is better now than at anytime since FASA's heyday and there's a reason the SR4 annoucement got the visibility it did at GAMA (check out some of the RPG sites covering it).

As for financial situations you're barking up the wrong tree there. The fact that some of the recent books (like SOTA63 and SOE in fact) have almost sold out their initial print runs (which as has been mentioned elsewhere are typically larger than industry standard outside the big boys like WoTC and WW) in under 2 years in the current market is telling.
Vuron
SR is a decent seller if not spectacular. I really don't see it coming that close to nWoD or Exalted numbers and certainly nowhere near WotC/Hasbro numbers. I think if it can roughly compete with Unisystem or Tristat it will be doing pretty good.
Pthgar
My impression is that SR/BattleTech are a distant third with WotC in first and WoD second. If that's acurate then SR/BT are really leaders because you can't really compare them to giant's like Hasbro or other multi-game systems.

Justmy impression. I could be wrong since I lack any hard data.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Vuron)
If I were to make a second Eurocorp AAA I'd probably have Zeta Imp Chem merge with Proteus and HKB into the world's most ammoral monstrousity.

Even Aztechnology/Universal Omnitech would have difficulty dealing with that level of sheer evilness.

Here is the thing. Z-Ic and HKB aren't evil. they do not do evil things for the sake of evil.they are in for the money. They would make the earth into Eden, if that was what it took to make money.

Aztech seems to go for the uber power.
Lucyfersam
Actually, last I checked (which admittedly is few years ago now) WotC was the massive #1, with SJ Games and WW competing in the #2 and #3 slots. I have no idea how far behind the #2 and #3 spots SR is, though my general impression is it does pretty well competing for the remaining market share.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

I agree. I felt they managed to recapture that with SoE and most of the locations. The dark and power hungry RCC, the racist Austria, the xenophobic Swiss, the militantly open Czech.

Cynic wants to know what other places have had nothing good fall into their laps? How about Tsmishian ? The Ute? South America? Africa? Even Japan, where the corps may rule and the nation has power, but there the people are slaves in all but name, slaves to technology and culture. Some nations and cultures were wiped from the face of the Earth (Madagascar being only one). And yet California has a chance to be free, it's own nation, it's own power. I'd not complain because the journey is hard, that's what makes it fun to play in. But, I've started to repeat myself.

How about Tsmishian, is a few hundard thousnad poeple in area that has little to offer most people. It had at least the brief repraise of having a major mega corp backing it up. It has any army. CFS doesn't.

Look at where the Ute is now. They do not have the land of plenty eaither.

Aferica, at least the aprts you are talkign about now, are from wha tI gather just under diffrent types of bad things. They are not any worse than they are now,at least compared to the rest of the world.

I will grant you china is fucked up, but it still has it moments. It has good things hapen to it.

Japan, Mexico are rules by mega corps...Scan this most of the world is ran by mega corps.

Germany is off and I don't like it, but I can see it. I could see that happening in Califonia, hell I would be damned happy if that was happned to Cali, over this bat shit.

CFS has been invaded by 5 nations, and has not been able to stop any of them without outside help. It stoped the Tir only by giving up a large plot of land to a dragon. It Stopped Aztland by given up San Fran. It stopped Saito only by the graces of Ares,and the fact that Saito's force were spread way to thin.. It stoped the Ute by the fact that Ute do not have enough resoucres for a war! It stopped the PCC..Wait it didn't the PCC stopped themselves.

So In a nation of 18,000,000 people with a strong economic backbone, that has been ivaded no less than 4 times before Saito went all Uber alies, they did not feel the need to have an army.Why?
Pthgar
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
Actually, last I checked (which admittedly is few years ago now) WotC was the massive #1, with SJ Games and WW competing in the #2 and #3 slots. I have no idea how far behind the #2 and #3 spots SR is, though my general impression is it does pretty well competing for the remaining market share.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Gurps, but that falls into the multi-game systems catagory. They are inherently more marketable. So SR is a 4th runner-up to the Big 3.
Grinder
QUOTE (Cynic project)
So In a nation of 18,000,000 people with a strong economic backbone, that has been ivaded no less than 4 times before Saito went all Uber alies, they did not feel the need to have an army.Why?

I thought there are a lot more people living in CalFree? Have to check the book soon. wink.gif
Guess they don't have an army cause the land is so heavily divided in small groups. You know, every town has it's own milita and nobody's caring for the central government. Sometimes people simply act stupid.

@Synner: I have the impression that SR is a good seller in germany. We have a veryx big and active (and growing) rpg-scene over here with a lot of dedicated SR-fans.
hermit
I second what Grinder says, SR is among the strongest games in Germany, closer to WoD and The-Game-That-Must-Not-Be-Named than from what I gather it is in America. Maybe the Germany books actually helped in that.
Synner
QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 1 2005, 09:52 PM)
@Synner: I have the impression that SR is a good seller in germany. We have a veryx big and active (and growing) rpg-scene over here with a lot of dedicated SR-fans.

I'm aware of SR's strong fan-base in Germany (I was at RatCon a couple of years back and the number of SR tables was impressive) and elsewhere in Europe and I'm also aware that its ridden out the current market slump relatively well (this despite the remaining issues with DidS2 and the adepts in SOTA64 nyahnyah.gif). My "sources" tell me of very positive receptions to DotSW,SSG, MrJLBB and even SOTA64. Thankfully SoE was particularly well recieved in Europe in general, and actually earned significant praise from locals that hadn't been happy with DidS(although I'd like to underline that FanPro D freelancers were deeply involved in SoE and several projects since), London and the unofficial France sbs (which is all we could ask for as writers) - so much so the initial shipment to the UK and Germany sold out within the first couple of months according to my sources.

All this is good and well but it needs to be said, the main RPG market remains America, and you have your head buried in the sand if you can't see Shadowrun is on a roll. In a difficult market, FanPro has been doing admirably well. Sales have been consistently good and the strong release schedule underlines this (there are precious few RPG companies beyond the big boys that are putting out 4-5 products a year in support of a single gameline/universe). But far more important than that is the number of people getting back into SR and the number of people willing to give it a shot because they've heard its so good (and they aren't hearing about First Edition books either).

Personally I think the next few books will blow people away and close SR3 with the bang it deserves, but then again I'm biased.
Vuron
Actually the numbers are and this is TT RPG no CCGs or Wargames

WotC - 43%
WW - 22%
SJG - 5%
AEG - 4%
Fanpro - 3.5%
Palladium - 3.5%

Most of the rest linger down in the 1-2% of sales.

Pthgar
Who' AEG?
Vuron
Alderac Entertainment Group
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012