Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's Going Down?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Skeptical Clown
Lofwyr and S-K were fine how they were, so short of pandering to europeans I don't see any reason for the dragon to take any serious hits.
Penta
Well, see, SR is apparently massively-European in market, so I would expect pandering to them.
BrazilRascal
My money is on Cross Applied Technology. It has a good backstory, but I don't think it can stand up to the trouble ahead AND deal with Damien Knight sucker-punching them at every turn.

Skeptical Clown
I expect it too. But that doesn't mean it's good.
Critias
Who's Going Down?

Nadja Daviar. Who else?
Kagetenshi
Mmm, luscious gams.

~J
MidnightGhost
It would suck if SK and Lofwyr lost their hold on Europe they are a great background plot device, and a great source for runs!
hermit
It would suck if SK and Lofwyr lost their hold on Europe they are a great background plot device, and a great source for runs!

Does the presence of CATco mean Ares isn't THE dominant corporation in much of North America (namely UCAS/CAS)? However, SK has been overplayed a tad. All I am saying is that scaling them back a little and admiting there actually are non-SK corporations in Europe would be a good thing.
Synner
QUOTE (Penta @ Mar 30 2005, 04:46 PM)
Well, see, SR is apparently massively-European in market, so I would expect pandering to them.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea. Care to clarify?

As for pandering, believe it or not, you really don't need to pander anyone but Rob (and even then it doesn't seem to work) if you're actually writing the stuff.

As to why you'd think Europeans would like to see Lofwyr taken down I really have no idea. S-K and Lofwyr are most people's favorite corp and GD respectively over here, so I suggest you check your facts before making remarks like that.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Synner)
S-K and Lofwyr are most people's favorite corp and GD respectively over here [...]

I can certainly back you up on that one.
hermit

Yup. Golden Snout definitly is cool. It's just that I think there's more to Europena coportaions than SK and Proteus (anyone know what they make the heaps of money with they blow on Arcologies like there's no tomorrow?).
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Synner)
S-K and Lofwyr are most people's favorite corp and GD respectively over here [...]

Yup i'd have to go with that. 90% of the players i know at least like Saeder-Krupp/ Lofwyr.

As mentioned SK could take a hit and perhaps be knocked of top spot due in part to the WMI but needing to take drastic measure's?? I doubt that.

And as for another AAA in Europe, is it really big enough?
(I'm also of the belief that Japan has too many, among other points)
hermit
And as for another AAA in Europe, is it really big enough?
(I'm also of the belief that Japan has too many, among other points)

Europe has more people than there are in North America including Aztlan (that would be around 300 Million, Europe today has 450, cut 30 due to VITAS and you're at 420). Furthermore, the countries there are more or less wealthy too, just like in NA. North America can (including Aztlan) support three megacorps (four if you count Novatech). Japan alone can support 3 (4 if you count Yamatetsu before moving). I doupt another European AAA would be impossible in that setting.
Kagetenshi
Again, though, you're overlooking how much bigger and less friendly that one is than everything else.

You're also overlooking the large chunks of Europe that are now uninhabitable.

~J
Vuron
I do have some problems with the world's largest corporation being privately held by a single shareholder but I've generally assumed that rather than having 100% ownership he's the primary known shareholder in what is pretty much a holding company that holds a variety of stakes in a huge number of subsidiary corporations.

Other than some quibbling details with the structure of the company the overall corporation makes a good deal of sense in terms of having a very distributed asset pool. However I would love to see one or more rival Eurocorps be developed. Of course I'd like more US centered megacorps as well but unless you want to have dramatic increases in the total number of AAAs to reflect that you'd inevitably have to kill some people's favorites.
hermit
Again, though, you're overlooking how much bigger and less friendly that one is than everything else.

If Novatech could rise to AAA status against ares, I guess some corporation could, if aided by the ruckis with all that MAtrix breakdown, get AAA status in europe, regardless of how much Golden Snout hates their guts for that. And if that corp was Transsys, he'd be up against someone of his own kind, and I doupt he'll be as lucky as with Nachtmeister again.

You're also overlooking the large chunks of Europe that are now uninhabitable.

Which would be ....? The SOX and those parts of Britain now wildlands/stinkfens? That's not really large. Propably there're toxic zones that size in the UCAS' borderlands to, we just don't know about them because the information about this region is kinda blurry.
Vuron
If you look at where the world's largest companies are now (not that there wouldn't be some changes within the next 50 or so years) roughly 40% are located in the the US and Canada, about 35% are in Europe and about 20% are in Asia (less than 10% in Japan). While India and China would likely see increases in overall the totals would likely remain pretty much similar to this in 2050.

Note if you look at the largest 10-20 companies (the most likely predecessors of SR megacorps) the UCAS and EU should have the vast majority of megacorps.
Kagetenshi
Based on their asset rating totals, the breakdown of the Big 10 share is as follows:

North America: 318

Europe: 91

Asia (including Yamatetsu): 420

~J
Synner
As was clarified in SoE, Europe has a relatively high density of second and third-tier companies and a slightly more fragmented market ecology -which means corps are less monolithic and more specialized which impacts their overall CC Ratings. This hasn't helped these corps make a big splash internationally although a few have (Z-IC, the FBV, Proteus, Transys, HKB and now Erika come to mind). SoE highlights the top 15, but more than 30 are mentioned in the various chapters there's no particular shortage of corporations to play with.
Vuron
At one point in time I was interested in trying to map asset totals to current companies (variously using 5-10 billion $ of marketvalue or sales for each asset point) of course even assuming that the development of the matrix and biotech/cyberware allows massive changes in certain sectors and magic has no real world analog it became a pretty interesting exercise.

The things that really bug me of course are the assertions that the big 10 control more assets than all other companies combined which represents such an insane collection of wealth as to be almost ludicrous. Of course trying to reflect real world macroeconomics is not the interest of most gamers so I've never bitch too much about it wink.gif
Cynic project
Japan, had become the world power for more than 40 years, spawning 4 AAA, taking over large parts of the world. No nothing good happened there.

China, has the PPG, Wuxing, a great dragon who is actively trying to reform it. No nothing good.

Africa, is a hell hole now, and hasn't changed. big deal.

Demnark is not even half the size of LA, and LA wile it doesn't have "toxic" waste is largely over ran by gantars... boy. It also is part of the sandaavien Union, witch seems to be a large enough economic power house to have sway in the world around it.

Mexico, once a third world nation is the home base of one largest AAA's in the world, living condistions have largely improved. It also has had enough power thrust on to it, that it can hold it own vrs, the NAN, CAS and the CFS(By the way, the border with CFS was such a joke, that it is now safer being maned the PCC. The PCC having less people than LA county, after it took LA over.). If it only seized San Diego, it would have had more good fortunes that the whole of CFS, but is also gain large areas of Texas, and a lot of lands to the south. Aztlan, is getting hit hard now. But it has not always been that way.

So, yes, other part of the world have it bad, but for most part everywhere has improved if even for a short time. And those that haven't improved, tend to simply changed in how they are messed up. CFS has just got pure and simply fucked up. It started out getting kicked in the crotch and then things got ugly.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Critias)
Who's Going Down?

Nadja Daviar. Who else?

Just as long at isn't on Rayn....
Grinder
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Demnark is not even half the size of LA, and LA wile it doesn't have "toxic" waste is largely over ran by gantars... boy.

What, really? From an european point of view, denmark has a good size. And you need some more hours to drive from the southern border to copenhagen in the north. And LA should be two times its size? It's hard to believe for me. eek.gif
Skeptical Clown
Population-wise. Currently, Denmark has a population of a little more than 5 million. The LA metropolitan area has just shy of 17 million people.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 30 2005, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 30 2005, 10:34 PM)
Demnark is not even half the size of LA, and LA wile it doesn't have "toxic" waste is largely over ran by gantars... boy.

What, really? From an european point of view, denmark has a good size. And you need some more hours to drive from the southern border to copenhagen in the north. And LA should be two times its size? It's hard to believe for me. eek.gif

To drive threw LA county going at street legal speeds takes up to 14 hours. LA county upwards of the low 200 mile range across. Has an 8 figure pop.
Vuron
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Mar 30 2005, 10:34 PM)

Welcome to urban sprawl US style. With no real incentive to build up currently we continually build outward and dizzing rates. Currently if you look at maps of southern california with the exception of a pretty massive military facility and the US/Mexico border there is pretty much a big city running from LA to Tijuana.
Penta
Precisely.

The US generally is hard for Europeans to understand (in any way), I've found.

That especially applies to physical scale, and the psychological impact that has.

Keep in mind that for all the land we've taken over for development in the last 50 years, there isn't even a remote shortage, except in specific areas (like Hawaii or Alaska, which are really special cases).

It's one reason why I always laugh when Europeans write about the US, particularly in fiction, and imagine people living in skyscrapers or 100s-of-stories-tall buildings, or even working in buildings much taller than what we've got. There are good reasons nobody will go much taller except as a showpiece.

More-back-On Topic: Yuron is exactly right. Now, Southern Cal is one big city (minus the bases) from LA to the border. If you eliminate the border, the Southern California sprawl will gobble up Tijuana in no time.

Similarly, sprawl isn't quite as enveloping or urbanizing as it would seem everywhere. Southern California is unique in being *very* flat, without the terrain and subsurface features that would stop mass-concrete-jungles, say, on the East Coast.

<Rant ON>
Example: The area from DC to Boston is usually represented as one big megapolis. Uh, no.

Lots of New Jersey, for instance, is suburbia. Increasingly crowded suburbia, but suburbia. Actual urban conditions are unlikely to stretch farther, regardless of corporate influence.

Connecticut and Rhode Island are the same. There are still small urban areas, and I95 is the "spinal cord" of the Northeast, but it's not all built up, and is unlikely to be.

And, uh, whoever turned the Jersey Shore into Arcologies (as seen in NAGNA and repeated since)? Can I have your address? I'd like to snap your neck or die trying.
<Rant Off>
Austere Emancipator
Los Angeles County is 4,084 square miles/10,577km^2, compared to Denmark's 16,639 square miles/43,094km^2. For population, LA County is just shy of twice size of Denmark (10,179,716 vs 5,397,540).

Really, with Google around, I can't understand how things like this get started.
Vuron
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Los Angeles County is 4,084 square miles/10,577km^2 (source), compared to Denmark's 16,639 square miles/43,094km^2 (source). For population, LA County is just shy of twice size of Denmark (10,179,716 vs 5,397,540) (source).

Really, with Google around, I can't understand how things like this get started.

Technical the Greater Los Angeles CMSA includes Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, Riverside and San Bernadino counties.

Los Angeles County
4,061 square miles

Orange
948 square miles

Riverside
7,303 square miles

Ventura
5,719 square miles

Even excluding San Bernadino's ridicolous 20,105 square miles Los Angeles CMSA is larger than Denmark in size smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Cynic project himself was apparently referring to the Los Angeles County ("To drive threw LA county [...]"), which is why I used the figures for that.
Fortune
QUOTE (hermit)
If Novatech could rise to AAA status against ares...

Novatech didn't really 'rise' to AAA status, but rather gained it via a technicality.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cynic project)
To drive threw LA county going at street legal speeds takes up to 14 hours. LA county upwards of the low 200 mile range across. Has an 8 figure pop.

I can see maybe 4 hours, but not 14. I've driven across the entire State in less than 14 hours, keeping to legal speed limits.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 30 2005, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 31 2005, 06:17 AM)

Novatech didn't really 'rise' to AAA status, but rather gained it via a technicality.

Um, it's not much smaller than the lower half of the Big 10. It may have gained the seat on a technicality, but it most certainly did rise to it.

~J
Fortune
I don't understand your definition of 'rise' then. I usually define it (in the sense we are discussing) as making their way up over time. Novatech was formed, and immediately became AAA rated. How is that 'rising'?
Kagetenshi
Ah, I thought you were implying that Novatech was not of a size concurrent with its status. Never mind, then.

~J
Charon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 30 2005, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 31 2005, 06:17 AM)

Um, it's not much smaller than the lower half of the Big 10. It may have gained the seat on a technicality, but it most certainly did rise to it.

~J

Depends on how you interpret the ratings.

I see these a bit akin to the Richter scale. I don't mean that each level is quite 10 time bigger than the one before, but I would say it's a signifcant notch. A rating of 8 is surely a lot more than 4 times a rating 2 in terms of asset value.

Think about it, Novatech is essentially Fuchi America plus some new assets.

All in all, one could assume that Novatech is maybe 40% of the size of SK, not 72/91th.

From my perspective, every point of rating is hard won. 2 or 3 points represents a lot of billions.

Critias
QUOTE (Penta)
The US generally is hard for Europeans to understand (in any way), I've found.

That especially applies to physical scale, and the psychological impact that has.

"Americans think 100 years is a long time. Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance."

I don't remember where/when I first heard that, but it's a quote that needs to get tossed around more often (especially on international forums), I think. Explains some differences in perspective fairly well.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Charon)
A rating of 8 is surely a lot more than 4 times a rating 2 in terms of asset value.

Certainly, but Novatech's 72 isn't that much smaller than Wuxing's 75 or CATCo's 74.

~J
Penta
QUOTE (Critias)
"Americans think 100 years is a long time. Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance."

I don't remember where/when I first heard that, but it's a quote that needs to get tossed around more often (especially on international forums), I think. Explains some differences in perspective fairly well.

Yeah, plus it's exactly right. smile.gif biggrin.gif
NightHaunter
Corps to go down? (or a least take a hit)
I believe Novatech won't struggle anymore than it already is. Hopefully due to a Seraphim hit on Art.
Aztechnology might suffer depending on their civil war.
Ares might have some Bug related problems maybe a bug gets on its board or already has.
Cross might go due to Mr D.Knight.
Hang on a tick.
Arther Vogel lil' dwarf dude who aquired lots of money from some where and now technically has the controling interst in Ares. That might be it!
Thats about it for now except go Transys Nuronet and Proteus AG.(Hmmmm if they were to merge?) vegm.gif
DrJest
I believe Novatech won't struggle anymore than it already is. Hopefully due to a Seraphim hit on Art.

Yeah, you know I'm sure I'm missing something - I'm way behind, after all - but I keep wondering why Art Dankwalther is still alive. Villiers has got to know Art's got a jones for his painful and public termination.
Cynic project
So, okay, no one can say that any part of the world has been fucked up as much CFS.As in the differences between the real world and the shadowrun . Good. Now, Kag I will say it one more time, I don't want the CFS to become a world power, I want it to become something other than the laughing stock of the world. I mean the the French put up more of a fight in WW2, than the CFS has put up in shadowrun. (no, I do not dislike France)
Cynic project
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
Hopefully due to a Seraphim hit on Art.

Why would Art fear the saraphim? As I recall, most of the Seraphim are doing is trying to keep Ares from crushing Cross. And the seraphim are Cross, I really that Nova tech has enough assets to take care of Art on their own..
Vuron
If I were to make a second Eurocorp AAA I'd probably have Zeta Imp Chem merge with Proteus and HKB into the world's most ammoral monstrousity.

Even Aztechnology/Universal Omnitech would have difficulty dealing with that level of sheer evilness.
hermit
So, okay, no one can say that any part of the world has been fucked up as much CFS.

Ahm ... ever read the Germany SB?

Good. Now, Kag I will say it one more time, I don't want the CFS to become a world power, I want it to become something other than the laughing stock of the world.

Rest assured, compared to Germany, CFS looks almost like a serious sourcebook ...
Kagetenshi
Yes, we can say that places have been more fucked up. Again, look at Mexico. Ground under the heel of a corporation bent on bringing death to the world, increasingly contaminated by toxic waste. Look at Japan, beholden to the megacorporations until very recently, turned into a deeply racist, fascist state. There's a reason the Japanese version of SR had very little to do with canon. Your argument they, Denmark's small doesn't hold water; it has been wiped from the face of the globe.

~J
Vuron
You mean that having pre bismarck style elector states (with metahuman principalities) isn't cool? eek.gif

hermit
it has been wiped from the face of the globe.

As has Luxembourg. Poland looks like Bosnia does today. Romania? Bulgaria? Belarus? All gone. China? CHINA? What China?
hermit
You mean that having pre bismarck style elector states (with metahuman principalities) isn't cool?

I mean that reading the Berlin, Westphalia, and Pomoria chapters almost made me throw up. And yes, I dislike principalities, even metahuman ones. This isn't D&D for crying out loud! I'd rather have a Fouth Reich. Incredibly cliche, but at least somewhat fitting in a world like Shadowrun!
Vuron
I was trying to indicate sarcasm as I too think the canton states of Germany to be a particularly repulsive concept. Fortunately Euro runs are thankfully rare in my games so I can ignore them the vast majority of the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012