Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's Going Down?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
hermit
Thankfully SoE was particularly well recieved in Europe in general and was actually earned significant praise from locals that hadn't been happy with DidS, London and the unofficial France sbs (which is all we could ask for as writers) - so much so the initial shipment to the UK and Germany sold out within the first couple of months according to my sources.

Well, I can second that. SoE was well received among gamers I know. It actually did most nations covered justice, at least as far as an exaggerated cyberpunk-fantasy RPG can. I din't like the idea of France run by nobles (if any nation in Europe should become communist, it would be France) initially, but when I read the book, it turned out surprisingly well thought out. Definitly beats Germany and that France book, and London too, though from all official and semiofficial European region books, that was the best, by far.
'The translation of SoE into German was quite bad, but you cannot blame the authors for that. For all I know, other than that, SoE was received well.

I'm looking forward to the remaining SR3 releases. I am not quite sure about SR4, whether I will like what happens to my favourite character types (the 'techies'), but I'll see. At least, I'm not as, umm, disappointed as I was when I read the first releases.
Lucyfersam
Vuron, out of curiosity where did you find those numbers? They sound about right, given the changes since I last heard the numbers (WW and SJ were about even then, but WW has continuously grown).
Vuron
I got them from Ken Hite's State of the Industry 2004 column http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op...ticle&artid=133
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
I still say, and have since I first read the 'blurb', that it's Novatech, and drastic action is that they merge with Transys Neuronet to implement the new WNI.

Too bad I said it first, and moreover, I said it before SR4 was announced (ask, well, you know who).
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Synner)
As to why you'd think Europeans would like to see Lofwyr taken down I really have no idea. S-K and Lofwyr are most people's favorite corp and GD respectively over here, so I suggest you check your facts before making remarks like that.

Eh, guess I'm in the minority then. I'm hoping for SK almost imploding. smile.gif
Synner
Nah, you're just Brit and we know how contrary you are to all things European nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Too bad I said it first, and moreover, I said it before SR4 was announced (ask, well, you know who).

Note that I never said I stated it first. nyahnyah.gif
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 31 2005, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Penta @ Mar 30 2005, 05:41 PM)
The US generally is hard for Europeans to understand (in any way), I've found.

That especially applies to physical scale, and the psychological impact that has.

"Americans think 100 years is a long time. Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance."

I don't remember where/when I first heard that, but it's a quote that needs to get tossed around more often (especially on international forums), I think. Explains some differences in perspective fairly well.

Gee. What would that say about Australians?

A modern culture that abruptly started less than 250 years ago (obviously Australia's history is much longer, but Aboriginal culture's influence on modern Australia is not particularly large compared to various European nations or even America). A nation so big that half of it threatened to secede unless the promised railway was built at the turn of last century... and where, in the case of my family, a visit to the grandparents involves travelling a similar distance as London to Istanbul...

Heh.
Pthgar
Then you Ozzies are a bit like Americans that way. I live about 1200 miles from my grandparents (Detroit, Michigan area to the Tampa, Florida area.) My wife had a rommate in collage that was visiting from England for a semester. She was very dissapointed that it wasn't practical to go to Disney World (Florida) for a weakend trip. wink.gif
hermit
To be fair, not all Europeans think 100 km are an insurmountable distance. I frequently visit my grandparents, who live straight across the country, as well as Paris (got access to an appartment in Montparnasse without paying for it, and that's too good to pass up), and others I know every second weekend make a trip to France for getting more wine (you cannot drink what counts as wine in Germany).
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hermit)
To be fair, not all Europeans think 100 km are an insurmountable distance.

Well, of course not. 100km is only 62.14 miles. The little nugget of folk wisdom in question is talking about 100 miles.
grinbig.gif
hermit
*sighs*

Okay, but even 200 km aren't a long distance. I mean, it's what, one and a half hour by car? At least if you have decent highways, that is.
Kagetenshi
Um? I average 90 MPH (blatantly speeding) on highways on a trip that long, and because of the non-highway portions it still takes me about an hour and forty-five minutes.

~J
Fortune
It's a generalization. The adage isn't meant to apply to every single person. There are, of course, people in the States that have never gone 100 miles from where they were born, just as there are people in Europe with absolutely no sense of history. But these are not generally considered the norm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012