Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Firearms: Caseless and Cased on one weapon?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
FlipShow
Are the discharged gases from firearms currently identifiable outside of actual powder burn wounds? I am pretty sure that it is now very routine to determine if someone has fired a pistol recently just by the residue on the hands.

So, given 50-60 years, will ballistic/forensic databases have advanced to the point of logging what type of gun/round was fired in an incident solely by residual gases and powders that were present at the scene? Traces of a discharged weapon could be in the air or on the carpet... the room's ventilation filter? How routine would it be to look for this? Would caseless ammo be more easily identifiable in this method?

Do I have a clue what I am talking about? No.
Arethusa
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Empty a magazine from the Beretta .25 you bought off the corner. Does the trick every time. [Mossad style]

Just make sure you aren't killing yet another innocent waiter in front of his girlfriend.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 23 2005, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Apr 23 2005, 11:39 PM)
Empty a magazine from the Beretta .25 you bought off the corner.  Does the trick every time.   [Mossad style]

Just make sure you aren't killing yet another innocent waiter in front of his girlfriend.

Hah! I forgot about that!

I swear, reality is so much better than the movies smile.gif
Zen Shooter01
I think you're awfully cranky today, Ray. frown.gif

It would be stupid to carry a custom-built weapon.

But ballistics aren't much good for tracking shadowrunners a lot of the time. You do the extraction at MCT. MCT goes looking for places where that same gun turned up...but if your last job was against Renraku, they're hardly sharing files on security breaches with MCT.

Also, part of my point about info in databases is that there's a whole class of character -- deckers; er, drippers -- spackers -- hackers! Who can erase it for a fee.

And in the disinformation agent example, I only meant that it was a danger with any captured operative, not particularly or necessarily one tracked down through ballistics.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Kagetenshi, RE the percentage of your pay that the disposable firearm represents: mechanics don't keep every dollar you give them. Neither do doctors, roofers, bars, or just about anybody else. They spend a good chunk of it on supplies.

That's absolutely true, but every source of expense you can eliminate is one more nuyen in your pocket, which over time could be one less run you need to take before retiring, which could be your ass in Tahiti instead of the morgue.

~J
Zen Shooter01
Kagetenshi, I see your point, but nuyen spent staying free as opposed to caught are well worth the expenditure.
Raygun
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
I think you're awfully cranky today, Ray.  frown.gif

Yeah. Patience has been wearing thin as of late. Sorry.

But ballistics aren't much good for tracking shadowrunners a lot of the time.

A lot of the time. As in not all of the time. Therein lies my point and the heart of our apparent dispute.

Adding further would require me to repeat myself = further draining of a precious resource known as Patience = cranky.

And in the disinformation agent example, I only meant that it was a danger with any captured operative, not particularly or necessarily one tracked down through ballistics.

I got it. I was attempting a bit of levity. Perhaps a smile.gif was in order.
Edward
QUOTE (FlipShow)
Are the discharged gases from firearms currently identifiable outside of actual powder burn wounds? I am pretty sure that it is now very routine to determine if someone has fired a pistol recently just by the residue on the hands.

So, given 50-60 years, will ballistic/forensic databases have advanced to the point of logging what type of gun/round was fired in an incident solely by residual gases and powders that were present at the scene? Traces of a discharged weapon could be in the air or on the carpet... the room's ventilation filter? How routine would it be to look for this? Would caseless ammo be more easily identifiable in this method?

Do I have a clue what I am talking about? No.

I think I know enough chemistry to answer this.

Defiantly the propellant type could be identified, trace elements added to propellents would help track the source (like with explosives today) but probably only arrow the field a little bit. Especially if the ammunition was not purchased from a licensed dealer.

If the gun was cleaned recently you may be able to get the brand of cleaning product uses.

You would not be able to tell the make of the gun but if the trace elements in the propellant where unique to a single type of ammunition you would know the class of weapon.

Personally I don’t think it would work very well without very strict regulation of ammunition producers.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012