Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Firearms: Caseless and Cased on one weapon?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Young Freud
QUOTE (Raygun)
The only small arms program I've seen combustible cased ammunition referenced to is the OICW program, which at the moment is close to completely shut down. Dynamit Nobel (the same company responsible for the development of the G11's 4.73x33mm DM11 caseless cartridge) were supposed to be developing it. All of the patents I could find regarding a "combustible cartridge" or "combustible ammunition" related to tank/artillery munitions, though the patent for the polymer-cased ammunition developed by Natec did include the following:

QUOTE (US 6845716)
The ammunition article 21 preferably also includes a base 45 attached to the second end 27 of the cartridge casing body 23. One suitable material for the cartridge casing body 23 is a modified ZYTEL resin, available from E.I. DuPont De Nemours Co., a modified 612 nylon resin, modified to increase elastic response. In embodiments of the present invention wherein a molded cartridge casing body may be provided, a suitable cartridge casing body may also be made of a moldable material that forms part of the propellant pack, i.e., a moldable propellant, or otherwise is itself combustible or consumable by a propellant such as a powder ignition.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a benefit that would provide. There may be a significant savings in weight, but that's immediately traded off by an increase in heat transferred to the firearm as the combustible case is not going to provide a heat sink as well as cased ammunition would, as well as the possibility of the combustible cartridge itself being less resistant to heat (increased probability of cook-offs).

Anyway, if you have links with more information about combustible cased ammunition in relation to small arms and the programs you mentioned, I would most defintely like to see it. I can't seem to find much more than blog blurbs via Google.

Yeah, I think it might be something NATEC is developing with DARPA (actually, it could be ARDEC, which is mentioned on that page). I'm struggling to recall it, but I remember hearing the name of the program was something like "Enhanced Lethality Munition" or "Increased Lethality", and I recall joking that it was semi-caseless, because of the combustible case. It could've been an article on Hackworth's or Murdoc Online we're I first heard about that, but for the life of me, can't find anything about it.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 17 2005, 04:31 AM)
The increased velocity only really matters when you've got a caliber standard to worry about, though, such as in the armed forces.

Or Law Enforcement.

Or any private citizen gun owner who doesn't relish the thought of having to stop using his favorite pistol, the one he's got hours of practice with at the range and just "feels right" in his hands, just to go out and get a higher caliber hand cannon because his neighbor three doors down who's always had an anger management problem suddenly now has horns and calcium deposits on his skin and an even worse disposition.

Further, if the velocity gain is less than, for example, the difference between standard and +P loadings for .45 ACP, I just can't see it being a huge factor.

I agree on this point. It'd have to be at least as big of a bump as +P.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Or Law Enforcement.

Or any private citizen gun owner who doesn't relish the thought of having to stop using his favorite pistol, the one he's got hours of practice with at the range and just "feels right" in his hands, just to go out and get a higher caliber hand cannon because his neighbor three doors down who's always had an anger management problem suddenly now has horns and calcium deposits on his skin and an even worse disposition.

naw, why go get a bigger hand cannon, a real cannon works just as well if not better, and barring that at least a large bore shotgun

Austere Emancipator
Standardization isn't that big a deal in law enforcement, AFAIK. For example, BitBasher said in a thread quite some time ago that "in the Las Vegas MPD [...] your weapon can only [be] a 9mm, 10.. or .45 ACP from Glock, S&W, HK, SIG (and I think 1 or 2 others)." Compare that to the (US) armed forces where, unless you're in a special operations unit, if you have a pistol it's going to be a Beretta 92FS firing M882 NATO Ball.

Even if there's if a law enforcement agency has stricter standards, it will find changing those standards far simpler than a military would -- they won't need to replace a massive stockpile of weapons and ammunition at the same time, nor worry about training hundreds of thousands of men with the new weapon. Even Lone Star doesn't come close to national militaries in this respect.

For a civilian, of course, personal taste matters just as much or more than actual performance. But (come August) it's been 59 years since the Awakening, and 49 years since orks and trolls appeared. That's plenty of time to come to the conclusion that your trusty old Glock 17 in 9x19mm should probably give way to an Ares Predator I in 10x25mm, or even a Ruger Super Warhawk in .454 Casull.
Critias
Or, if you're really serious about killing trogs, a dikoted katana.
Vuron
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
For a civilian, of course, personal taste matters just as much or more than actual performance. But (come August) it's been 59 years since the Awakening, and 49 years since orks and trolls appeared. That's plenty of time to come to the conclusion that your trusty old Glock 17 in 9x19mm should probably give way to an Ares Predator I in 10x25mm, or even a Ruger Super Warhawk in .454 Casull.

The only real problem I have with that is 10 x 25 probably makes the grip of a gun too big for most humans (your target audience) and the .454 casull has too much recoil to be reliably used by Str 2 and 3 humans.

I'm not saying that there wouldn't be a niche market for the handcannons but since most people in the setting are unaugmented humans I really don't see dramatically increasing calibre size being an option.

Now what I do think is an option would be some increases to gunpowder manufacture that might give significantly better muzzle velocities using the same basic loads and round size of modern guns. While I imagine gunpowder might be getting to the limits of it's ability to be refined you could see some sort of replacement chemical accelerant being developed.

The other thing of course is that future manufacturers assume that body armor is prevalent enough that they have to change thier core assumptions away from a maximum tissue disruption strategy towards a maximum penetration strategy.

Austere Emancipator
I realize that a 10x25 in a pistol might make it a bit unwieldy for some, but frankly I can't see how anything smaller would help when you're facing 2.8-meter-tall, bone-plated, very muscular humanoids. Actually, I don't think even a 10x25 is even close to being enough against such foes, but at least it's a heck of a lot better than 9x19. Even against an ork, calibers like .40 S&W and .45 ACP will still have to use bullet designs with limited expansion to guarantee penetration into the vitals, even if you could squeeze 20% more energy out of them in 2070.

In a heavy revolver frame with a muzzle brake, I shouldn't think STR 3 (average adult) humans would have trouble with a .454. It might not be altogether pleasant to fire repeatedly, especially in combat, but, hell, no handgun capable of taking down a troll is going to be.

As for bullet types, well, if you expect to face trolls, most deforming ammunition for handguns isn't going to be very useful anyway. Against humans (and dwarves, elves and orks) I'd hate to be stuck with a low-power handgun (compared to the .454, at least) firing solids. Still, considering the kinds of societies canon SR is set in, body armor becoming slightly more common for civilians isn't too far fetched, so penetration of it would also become more of an issue. Pure maximum tissue disruption is hardly a valid strategy even now, though.
Vuron
Ohh I realize that 9 x 19mm or .45 ACP rounds would likely be incapable of reliably stopping your average troll. I just don't see that the really big handcannons are going to be the primary armnament of law enforcement and home defense users.

If you assume that Lone Star rarely augments thier patrol cops with strength enhancements the sheer difficulty in reliably firing a .454 casull round or 10 x 25 while minimizing the possibility of hitting innocent targets would be significantly impact the decision to make those weapons the normal police handgun.

What I would see as more likely in regards to needing to stop trolls would be greater reliance on carbines and shotguns. A Lonestar patrol cop would more likely have either a shotgun and/or a AR-15 style carbine located in his/her trunk that given a report of a hostile troll they would unlock and use.

The other option of course would be a greater reliance on nonlethal takedown methods as presumable the armor of a troll is not insulated vs a Taser or some sort of tranquilizer.
Pthgar
I'm not anything like a serious hobbiest or any thing, I've only shot a few calibers. I am a bit confused, isn't 10x25 just a little bigger than a .38? It's smaller than .45 ACP right? Why would that be unwieldly? I've shot .45 (not 10x25 however) and it felt comfortable to me (although I wouldn't want to carry a 1911 around all day), and I am in no way a big guy.

As I said, I have limited personal experience so if one of you could clrify this, I could follow this thread a little better. Thanks.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Vuron)
I just don't see that the really big handcannons are going to be the primary armnament of law enforcement and home defense users.

Neither do I. I just used that as an example to point out that there's no real need to squeeze out those few extra fps out of weaker calibers when people can simply pick a slightly more powerful caliber to begin with.

I could definitely see shotguns (or indeed slug guns) becoming even more common. Carbines, though, at least ones chambered in something as weak (relative to other rifle calibers) as 5.56x45mm, would probably not be very useful against trolls -- although arming patrols with them might partly solve the problem with body armor.
Vuron
The 10 x 25mm round that would most likely be the model would be the 10 x 25 mm Norma round developed for the Bren Ten pistol. In general it was found to be too powerful for most users and I believe a subsonic variation was developed which is used in some of the MP5/10 SMGs

A scaled down version of the norma round was used to develop the .40 S&W and has acchieved a good amount of popularity.
Pthgar
Could you tell me how the 10x25 compares (in terms of how it feels to shoot) to the 9x19 or the .45 ACP?
Vuron
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

I could definitely see shotguns (or indeed slug guns) becoming even more common. Carbines, though, at least ones chambered in something as weak (relative to other rifle calibers) as 5.56x45mm, would probably not be very useful against trolls -- although arming patrols with them might partly solve the problem with body armor.

Yeah 5.56 x 45mm although it is still a pretty deadly round all things considered would likely be replaced by the 6.5 or 6.8 rounds to a certain degree for harder targets. The major concern though with going to a larger round on your carbines is that collateral damage to innocent lives would almost certainly increase significantly.

Of course this also brings up a big issue I had with SR having the carbine versions of assault rifles using the same damage codes as SMGs rather than some slight range and possibly power modifications to the base AR damage codes.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 18 2005, 11:08 AM)
The major concern though with going to a larger round on your carbines is that collateral damage to innocent lives would almost certainly increase significantly.

Frangible rounds? I have heard they have the same penetration and wound profile as FMJ, against unarmoured targets (although i doubt this, but I'm not a materials engineer/physicist) but they do not over-penetrate.
Austere Emancipator
Pthgar: The 10x25mm (a.k.a. 10mm Auto, 10x25 Norma, Centimeter) does indeed have a smaller bore diameter than the .45 ACP (10mm vs 11.48mm) and generally fires bullets weighing slightly less (commonly 135-200 grains vs 165-230 gr).

However, it has a significantly longer case (25mm vs 22.8mm) and is designed for higher pressures. Where a .45 ACP might fire a 185 gr bullet at 1140 fps for 534 foot-pounds of kinetic energy at the muzzle, a 10x25mm might fire a 170 gr bullet at 1300 fps for 637 ft-lbs.

Common loadings for the 10x25mm also tend to have a sectional density (mass per area of the bullet face, critical in penetration) as high or higher than common loadings for the .45 ACP: a 185 gr .45 ACP bullet has the same sectional density as a 140 gr 10x25mm bullet, while a 175 gr 10x25mm bullet has the same SD as a 230gr bullet for the .45 ACP. This, combined with more kinetic energy, translates to greater penetration.
Pthgar
Vuron, thanks for the answer and AE, thank you for the breakdown.

I read/heard somewhere that a shotgun, until recently, was the most popular choice for home defense. Maybe, the trend will turn back to that with the load of choice being slug rather than shot.
Vuron
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Could you tell me how the 10x25 compares (in terms of how it feels to shoot) to the 9x19 or the .45 ACP?

I've never fired the primary guns that could handle the 10 x 25 norma (the Bren Ten and Delta Elite) but by all accounts it's fairly comparable to the .357 magnum in power and significantly more powerful than the 9 x 19mm and .45 ACP.

The Colt 1076 was the round initially selected by the FBI for meeting thier primary ballistics demands but it was only manufactured for a brief period of time.

The .40 S&W is a necked down version of the 1076 chosen that allows for similar ballistic performance and greater magazine capacity. In general it seems to be an excellent competitor to the 9 x 19mm and .45 ACP market.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Frangible rounds? I have heard they have the same penetration and wound profile as FMJ, against unarmoured targets (although i doubt this, but I'm not a materials engineer/physicist) but they do not over-penetrate.

From a carbine, deforming 5.56x45mm rounds most likely compare very well with FMJs, because at lower velocities bullets like the US (and NATO) standard M193 and M855 only fragment in tissue when fired at very close ranges or not at all. If a FMJ rifle round doesn't fragment, you can bet it will over-penetrate most humans; meanwhile an expanding 5.56 might not even penetrate the 12" of tissue deemed by FBI and several experts of wound ballistics as the minimum necessary for combat loads, and as such may well not over-penetrate.

As for fragmenting bullets, I couldn't say. Depends first and foremost on exactly what kind of bullet design you're talking about. Bullets designed to fragment also tend to be rather quirky and will often behave very differently based on velocity, even a bit of armor, etc.

[Edit]However, like Vuron points out below, over-penetration is rarely an issue with small arms. With fragmenting 5.56x45mm rounds, I'd be more concerned with under-penetration.[/Edit]
Vuron
QUOTE (Pthgar)
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 18 2005, 11:08 AM)
The major concern though with going to a larger round on your carbines is that collateral damage to innocent lives would almost certainly increase significantly.

Over penetration isn't so much my concern as the fear that even a small increase in caliber size in combination with a 3 round burst would have less accuracy and thus a tendency of hitting a nearby innocent target.

With military and intelligence operators I don't see this being as much of a concern although it would be very interesting to hear if counterterrorist and hostage rescue units will go with the 6.8 or 6.5 rounds during hostage situations. However factor in something like lonestar in SR and I don't know that the average cop will be as capable of managing thier recoil and not hitting collateral targets.

In general I don't think overpenetration would be that big of a concern until you really start looking at high velocity AP rounds.
Pthgar
Ah, I see. I thought you were concerned with over-p, not outright misses.
With misses, I would probably try to counter that with Smartlink goggles, or straight-up SL cyber for more elite folk.
Vuron
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Ah, I see. I thought you were concerned with over-p, not outright misses.
With misses, I would probably try to counter that with Smartlink goggles, or straight-up SL cyber for more elite folk.

Within the game yes smartlink technology makes firing burst fire and autofire significantly more accurate in regards to stray rounds. I would even say that many people might object to how accurate smartlinks make weapons especially in regards to walking fire in fully automatic operation. Considering the rates that the weapons are firing it just doesn't seem reasonable for any technology to be able to go "wait .002 seconds then return to normal firing rates".

Some aspects of smartlinks make sense but being able to not lose rounds during full auto operation is not one of them.

Getting back to the problem of trolls and penetrating the dermal armor if weapons aren't completely changed in how armor and weapons interact I'd like for dermal armor to not boost body but to offer a +1 to ballistic/ +1 to impact per level fully stackable with body armor.

Thus a troll with an armor vest with plates would have 5/4 rather than 4/3.
Pthgar
I could go with troll armor working that way. It makes sense that the bone deposites would spread out the impact more than they would enhance ability to resist internal injuries. That is how I always saw how the Damage Codes worked. Number=penetrating power, Letter=damage to tissue :: Armor reduces penetration, Body resists tissue damage.

For Smartlink tech to be more realistic to me, nearly every weapon that uses it would have to be fired electronically like those rifles posted above. Heck, for all I know that's what all the cost is in equipping a weapon with a SL.
Dawnshadow
Not losing rounds could work..

Smartlinks have access to the firing mechanism and the rate selector, so they are aware of full auto, and must have micro-computers in them to keep track of various little things -- especially on smartlink II's.

So.. walking fire? A thought disables the trigger, another enables it when the gun is pointed (roughly) at the next target..

Now.. smartlink I, I could see having trouble with it. Smartlink II? Not really. You've got recoil (probably), the multiple targets penalties..

Now, if you want to get really crazy, you give Smartlink III's, and give them a bonus on full auto, select targets and just spray wildly, smartlink enables and disables the trigger whenever the gun's pointed at the targets.. End result? No multiple target penalties, but no dividing bullets, each gets an equal portion of hits..
Pthgar
Better yet, make everything Gyrojet rounds with seeker heads that lock onto targets designated by multiple independantly tracking multi-spectrum designators linked to Battle-tac, Smartlink, and tactical computer cyberware. Look out heare comes Predator Omega 2.0! eek.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Look out heare comes Predator Omega 2.0! eek.gif

Don't you want to live in harmony with nature?
Pthgar
What's going to happen to the Omega Pool in SR4, that's what I needs ta know! mad.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Vuron)
The Colt 1076 was the round initially selected by the FBI for meeting thier primary ballistics demands but it was only manufactured for a brief period of time.

The .40 S&W is a necked down version of the 1076 chosen that allows for similar ballistic performance and greater magazine capacity. In general it seems to be an excellent competitor to the 9 x 19mm and .45 ACP market.

You're getting things mixed up here. First, Colt had nothing whatsoever to do with the FBI contracts. S&W made the guns, the model number for which was 1076, and Federal Cartridge provided the ammunition, which was an FBI-specified, down-loaded version of the 10mm Auto (180 grain JHP @ 950 fps).

Second, the .40 S&W is not a "necked down" (meaning reduced caliber) version of the 10mm Auto. Bullets for both are .400". The .40 S&W has a slightly shortened case compared to the 10mm Auto (from 0.992" to 0.850"). As a result the .40 S&W, which was developed by Winchester/Olin, could be used in pistols with a smaller grip circumference while retaining the ballistics the FBI had specified.

The full story.

Of the 10mm handguns I have had the opportunity to shoot, I think the EAA Witness (Tanfoglio Combat) has the most potential, being heavily based on another well-proven design, the CZ75 (Which the original Bren Ten was developed from as well). The other was the Glock 20. The Witness was heavier which soaked a little bit more recoil, accuracy was fair enough and the gun just plain felt right to me, unlike the Glock 20. I didn't think either was "unweildy", even with hotter-than-average (Cor-Bon) loads. In fact, I would love to own a 10mm EAA Witness.

The HK MP5/10 is designed to handle all loads of 10mm Auto, including both subsonics and the heavy 200 grain @ 1200 fps loads that Dornaus & Dixon developed with Jeff Cooper, and Norma loaded and sold. As such, I personally think it is one of the best submachine guns devised so far.
Vuron
Thanks for the true information. I didn't realize that I used the term necked down when I actually meant to use shortened.

While it clearly offers significant improvements over the 9 x 19mm and .45 ACP I somewhat wonder about the heavier 10 x 25mm rounds establishing a firm hold on the future. Perhaps the problems keeping it from being firmly established currently might not be as much of an issue in the future but I tend towards thinking it's pretty much always going to be a specialist weapon rather than a general purpose handgun.
Raygun
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 19 2005, 01:47 PM)
Thanks for the true information. I didn't realize that I used the term necked down when I actually meant to use shortened.

Perhaps more for others information than yours...

A good rule of thumb to follow in determining whether a cartridge is "necked down" or not would be to note whether the case has a shoulder or not (that angular bit between the area that contains the powder, and the neck, which actually holds the bullet; much more characteristic of rifle cartridges). For example, like most handgun cartridges, both the 10mm Auto and .40 S&W use a straight-walled case. Whereas the .357 SIG is a .40 S&W case loaded with .357" (~9mm) bullets and so is necked down in order to hold them. The same goes for the .41 to 9mm Action Express cartridges, .45 ACP to .400 Cor-Bon, etc...

While it clearly offers significant improvements over the 9 x 19mm and .45 ACP I somewhat wonder about the heavier 10 x 25mm  rounds establishing a firm hold on the future. Perhaps the problems keeping it from being firmly established currently might not be as much of an issue in the future but I tend towards thinking it's pretty much always going to be a specialist weapon rather than a general purpose handgun.

I think the 10mm Auto, along with other handgun cartridges that are more powerful than what is considered combat-viable today, such as the .44 Auto Mag, would make a marked comeback in the world of Shadowrun, especially at the dawn of goblinization when a lot of people wouldn't understand what was happening beyond the fact that potential urban threats are getting bigger and thus more difficult to stop with the more common handgun cartridges. They would need something to counter that threat. From there it just makes sense to bring back what has worked in the past, though some "reinventing of the wheel" would likely occur as well. New gun designs able to help compensate for the heavier recoil would also be devised, as sometimes the threat would be more than just potential. Ork or Troll shadowrunners, for example, not to mention the more common-variety gang members and such.
Nikoli
Basically, a "practical" use for the X-Frame handguns?
Caine Hazen
They should just get rid of ammo all together...be more like hollywood...or since there's a jump in time everyone should have lasers...yeah lasers and flying cars!!!
blakkie
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Apr 19 2005, 01:00 PM)
They should just get rid of ammo all together...be more like hollywood...or since there's a jump in time everyone should have lasers...yeah lasers and flying cars!!!

SR3 has flying cars, and sharks. I saw it in a picture once. And lasers. And elf pr0n.

Hey, wait a minute! Why again do we need SR4?

EDIT: Oh right, so we can attach the frickin' lasers onto the heads of the sharks.
Nikoli
I'll take hungry awakened seabass over laser headed sharks anyday.
Vuron
QUOTE (blakkie)
EDIT: Oh right, so we can attach the frickin' lasers onto the heads of the sharks.

Nah you just need to rule that the sharks have cybergun eyes. And maybe someone will have developed offensive laser cybereyes by 2070.

Of course for them to hit effectively they need to have skillwires with a firearms or laser skillsoft but that's not too bad for laser shooting shark minions.
Raygun
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Basically, a "practical" use for the X-Frame handguns?

Yep. It would be a pretty decent Troll-stopper.
mfb
you retards. read the rules--sharks don't have a top-mounted accessory slot. no laser sights for you!
Raygun
mfb hash a Dutch akzhent. Izhunt zat veird? smile.gif
mfb
you vetards!
Zen Shooter01
Regarding spent casings as forensic evidence, who cares?

First of all, throw the weapon away afterward. Firearms are cheap and plentiful in the SR universe. A tricked-out handgun still only costs, what, 2,000 nuyen? If you're getting paid 40k, throw the gun into a furnace and write it off as business expenses.

Number two, jurisdiction is so tangled in SR that it hardly matters. You get flown into Sydney by SK to extract a researcher from MCT, then fly back to Berlin the next day. MCT has no particular interest in knowing that it was you who did it. And what are they going to do, ask SK to extradite you? When you're long gone with a new identity and a loft in Queens?

Number three, jurisdiction is so often "who cares?" that it hardly matters. You get hired as muscle in a turf war between syndicates in the Redmond Barrens. Eighteen gangers dead at the end of the day. Serious police investigations? Zero.
Kagetenshi
If you're getting paid ¥40k, that ¥2k is 5% of your total pay, or enough to pay slightly under half of Middle lifestyle rent this month. That's unacceptable losses.

~J
mfb
eh, yeah. depends. i figure it's SOP to swap out barrels and firing pins every few runs, if not more often. it's not perfect, but it's cheaper than replacing the whole weapon + accessories.
Raygun
Not everyone in the Shadowrun universe is a "shadowrunner", either. Certainly what Zen Shooter has said makes a lot of sense from one stand point and should be considered for others, but it's not the best answer to every situation.

In the provided example, MCT might be extremely interested in finding out who you are, depending on the value they've assessed to the researcher you extracted. The evidence of a case left behind could certainly help them find you, through the fixer/dealer you hocked the gun with, a fingerprint on the case, etc... It's just one less thing to worry about.
Arethusa
How much information is really going to be left on a case? They can get caliber and manufacture, but beyond that? You should alreacy have burned the barrel and firing pin if not the entire weapon, so ballistics shouldn't matter, and you should have known to wipe down all mission rounds for prints and loaded your mags with gloves. That doesn't leave much, unless I've really overlooked something.
Raygun
The point, Arethusa, is that you, being the gun wielder, may not have the opportunity to do those things at your convenience, and that it might be possible for others to find you, or at least build up a case against you, because of the information found on a case or cases you left behind. Obviously, no one is going to catch you if you do everything perfectly. The problem is that you (yes, even you) are bound to fuck up somewhere. And with understanding your own fallibility, eliminating one source of indentifying your presence and associating it as the gun wielder is not necessarily a bad idea.
Zen Shooter01
MCT doesn't need to know who you are, they just need to know that SK was behind it. Coming down on the individual shadowrunner after the fact does nothing for their bottom line.

Actually, it makes more sense for MCT to play you back against SK. Coerce or induce you to use the relationship you've built with SK for MCT's benefit.

But back to forensics and ballistics: keep in mind that whatever information might be gleaned from casings is only useful if there is something to compare it to. A fingerprint, for example, is no good to MCT if your fingerprints aren't on record in a database MCT has access to.

Kagetenshi, RE the percentage of your pay that the disposable firearm represents: mechanics don't keep every dollar you give them. Neither do doctors, roofers, bars, or just about anybody else. They spend a good chunk of it on supplies.

Raygun
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Apr 23 2005, 11:06 PM)
MCT doesn't need to know who you are, they just need to know that SK was behind it. Coming down on the individual shadowrunner after the fact does nothing for their bottom line.

And how exactly do you figure they'll come by that information? Devine intervention? The only thing that should be linking SK to your presence at MCT in that case is YOUR TEAM, assuming A) that team members aware of who they are working for have been secure enough to keep it to themselves, and B) that MCT didn't get other information to suspect SK of planning such a thing.

But back to forensics and ballistics: keep in mind that whatever information might be gleaned from casings is only useful if there is something to compare it to. A fingerprint, for example, is no good to MCT if your fingerprints aren't on record in a database MCT has access to.

Or whoever they hire to figure it out. Depending on how hard you hit them, they could put a shitload of resources into figuring out who did the punching, and your team will be the major connecting link in the chain.

Certainly there could be other, more incriminating evidence left behind. But if the only thing you're not concerned about is a cartridge case, you'd better be an extra cool Shadowrunner and start thinking about considering that, too. Especially when your job involves seriously busting the balls of an outfit with far more resources than you have. You think SK is going to back you up if you fuck up the show? Hell no. They'll throw you to the wolves as soon as they figure it out. You're just a scumbag-deniable-asset shadowrunner!
Zen Shooter01
Sure, if they catch you in the act, interrogating might be useful. But runners are often hired blind. As you well know, Ray, you can't tell what you don't know. Furthermore, there is the danger that the runners themselves are disinformation agents, who allowed themselves to be captured.

MCT gets a hot computer sciences researcher extracted from their warm embrace in Australia. So they look around at their competitors for the someone most likely to pull a high temperature extraction, they look around their competitors to see where the researcher surfaces next (publicly or covertly). They look around to see who needs a researcher like the one they lost. That's how you find out who did it.

They also look around in their own shop to see how it was that the information that allowed the extraction to happen leaked out. Finding that answer will usually explain a lot.

But putting a lot of resources into pursuing the actual runners after the job is done and the package is delivered doesn't do much for MCT.

But none of this matters if you just throw your guns in furnace.

It is, however, good business for SK to back you up to a certain degree. Your getting caught is not good for SK; bad publicity, your giving up information during interrogation, you being turned to a double agent because SK back-stabbed you. So it makes sense for SK to do some data forgery to keep you out of MCT's clutches.

And throw your guns in a furnace.
Raygun
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Sure, if they catch you in the act, interrogating might be useful. But runners are often hired blind. As you well know, Ray, you can't tell what you don't know.

Sure. That's a possibility. But you were hired by someone. And they knew something you didn't.

"So what did he look like? Where did you meet him? How did you contact him? I'll give you a nice lollypop if you tell me..."

Furthermore, there is the danger that the runners themselves are disinformation agents, who allowed themselves to be captured.

And to that end they'll fight to the point of escape, to be found only by cartidge cases left behind! Crafty bastards!

MCT gets a hot computer sciences researcher extracted from their warm embrace in Australia. So they look around at their competitors for the someone most likely to pull a high temperature extraction, they look around their competitors to see where the researcher surfaces next (publicly or covertly). They look around to see who needs a researcher like the one they lost. That's how you find out who did it.

"Man. It looks like there are about 10 different companies out there that would like to have a piece of this, and with the resources to pull this kind of thing off, too. And homeboy is completely off the radar. What next?"

They also look around in their own shop to see how it was that the information that allowed the extraction to happen leaked out. Finding that answer will usually explain a lot.

And it could dead-end, too.

But putting a lot of resources into pursuing the actual runners after the job is done and the package is delivered doesn't do much for MCT.

Except for, you know, give them an idea of where to start looking in order to get the guy back?

"Maybe he isn't cooperating. He was pretty loyal to the company, you know... What's next?"

"Well, we find the fuckers who left all this phyiscal evidence behind. Oh, it's an odd cartridge? Hmm. Oh, extraction marks are unique? Hmm. Fluted chamber? What does that mean? Appears to be a custom gun, you say? Well, he's unlikely to want to throw that in a furnace anytime soon. Let's see if we can find any similar marks in other forensic databases. No, I don't care how. The boss is up my ass on this. Outsource it." And so on...

The circumstances are not always the same. The less evidence you leave behind, the better, 100% of the time. Period. Most of the time a cartridge case won't matter. But in some cases it very well might.

Anyway, I'm thinking that further argument against an example that is designed to support your point would be a giant waste of my time. What do you think?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If you're getting paid ¥40k, that ¥2k is 5% of your total pay, or enough to pay slightly under half of Middle lifestyle rent this month. That's unacceptable losses.

~J

Yeah, but who says it even needs to be a tricked out handgun. Just take an old Ruger Mk. 2 with a homemade silencer. Curse when it jams on you, the guards appear, and then you're stuck with .22 LR.

*ahem*

I mean, discard it and don't feel bad about it after you silently shoot your mark in the face 10 times, drop the magazine, and shoot him 10 times more.
FrostyNSO
Empty a magazine from the Beretta .25 you bought off the corner. Does the trick every time. [Mossad style]

...and screw the furnace, put the damn thing on the bottom of Puget Sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012