Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preview in Game Trade Magazine
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Arethusa
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Jun 2 2005, 08:25 PM)
All other things being equal, yes, more stats means more complexity.

Which is exactly what Fox and I were talking about. And what I said in the rest of my paragraph that you quoted. You can make up for it in other ways but a 10 stat system will be inherently more complicated than a 6 stat.

No, it's exactly not what Fox was talking about. While she was busy being a witless prat, she made it rather clear that no matter what you do, more stats inexorably leads to more complexity and less playability.
Shadow
Yes I would say there are similarities. But Shadowrun came out first, so I believe it would be a case of V:tm borrowing form SR, not the other way around.

I think a lot of the ire is that SR has always been a wholly original game. It sticks in a few peoples gullet to have it suddenly become very similar to an existing game.
Nerbert
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Basically, the game has become Vampire: The Masquerade (Or maybe...Shadowrun: 2070 mercs?) as far as my eye can see.

Now that yet another pointless semantic disagreement has been resolved, I hope that your eyes have been opened to some of the profound and important differences.
Shadow
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Shadow)

Which is exactly what Fox and I were talking about. And what I said in the rest of my paragraph that you quoted. You can make up for it in other ways but a 10 stat system will be inherently more complicated than a 6 stat.

No, it's exactly not what Fox was talking about. While she was busy being a witless prat, she made it rather clear that no matter what you do, more stats inexorably leads to more complexity and less playability.

If you spent less time insulting people and more time reading the posts you misunderstood, people would listen to you more instead of immediately dismiss everything you say. But you probably don't care.
Critias
Wow. When posts reach the level of pointless name calling where even *I* just skim them and wait for something worthwhile to be typed, you know things are gettin' low.
mfb
nothing's too low for you, stupid-brain.
Cain
Shadow, the same can be said of SR3 and V:tM. Variable TN multiple dice systems, one using d10s, the other, d6s. Would you say that the two bear a striking resemblence to each other?

Actually, only slightly; although what Shadow says is true. Not only did Shadowrun come out first, some of the original playtesters and developers went on to join White Wolf. As an "experienced Vampire storyteller", you should know that. They derived their basic mechanic from Shadowrun.

Now, the problem is that you're arguing that there's no resemblance whatsoever. But the core dice mechanism is virtually identical now. There is *no* arguing it. Shadowrun, instead of being the imitated, is now the imitator. We've traded in a first-rate game for second-hand WoD.
Now that yet another pointless semantic disagreement has been resolved, I hope that your eyes have been opened to some of the profound and important differences.

Such as? THE DICE MECHANICS ARE IDENTICAL. If you're an "experienced vampire storyteller", this should be obvious, because the game feels familiar to you. In fact, it could be argued that why someone like you likes SR4 so much is because it feels like something you already know. You don't have to be bothered to learn a new game.

Of course, that assumes that you're actually an "experienced vampire storyteller". You've made enough misstatements about basic GMing that I'm having trouble believing it. So, which is it? Are you experienced, and merely too lazy to bother with a new system; or can we chalk up your missteps to simple inexperience?
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
nothing's too low for you, stupid-brain.

If the appropriate function were not broken, I would be reporting this offensive post to the moderators, knave !!
Fortune
I'm not all caught up in the semantics of the word 'streamlining'. In my opinion, Shadowrun does need streamlining, in that it needs to have one core mechanic. SR4 is doing this.

My problem is the core mechanic they have chosen. A system with a fixed TN with no (or little) exploding dice is not attractive to me. The lack of Tactical Pools is also a negative in my opinion. I actually cringe at the thought of what the new Drain mechanics are (if my suspicions are correct).

I was attracted to Shadowrun right from the start, mostly for the setting and magic system, but the core mechanics were alright. Over the course of the subsequent editions the game got better ... for the most part. There were problems, but on the whole it worked pretty well. I would have liked to see SR4 with a core mechanic based on one of the SR3 systems, like Magic or Combat. It would streamline the system, while maintaining the familiarity and feel of Shadowrun.
frostPDP
Wow. And here I figured my one or two playing sessions of V:TM would limit my knowledge of it. I honestly expected to be 100% wrong. Turns out that's not the case. Cool.

Seriously though, what I like about SR is its really simple to teach (at least, so far as I've seen. Chargen bites, of course, but other then that...) - Just roll d6 x whatever you're asked to roll. Body 4 and you get shot? Roll 4 dice. Yeah, the variable target number thing is annoying sometimes (and oftentimes feels as if it was written for a computer game, what with the up and downstaging required.) but I like that sort of thing. It adds realism to the notion that doing something easy is almost guarenteed (AKA fixing a paper jam), while doing something nigh-impossible (sniping a target at 800 yards in a hurricane) is something you need a lot...LOT of luck to pull off.

I like the fact that your skill is what determines how likely you are to succeed at whatever it is you try and is lorded over by your attributes, AKA physical/mental capacity to handle that particular task. If I try to hit a target at 10 yards with a heavy pistol and my pistol skill is 3, I'm pretty likely to hit. (One shot with a take-aim action puts the TN at 3. I have 3 4/6 chances to hit (1 and 2 are misses.) if my abyssmal spelling and math grades work together)

Now, fast-forward to SR4. if my skill is average and my quickness is average, I have 6 dice to try to hit a TN 5 and I might need X amount of "hits"? Hits apparently negated (I could be wrong. I still haven't seen a solid Mechanic, or maybe I'm just dumb and missed it) by 1's?

I think earlier in this thread some random rolls were presented as probability indicators. Fact is, with 1's being failures that negate (drawing from SR4's daddy-without-DNA-test V:TM, so I could be wrong. I pray I am.) rather than generic misses unless all 1's are rolled, and with a 1/3 chance per die to score a hit no matter if the task is kicking the ball dead in front of me, I effectively have half the chance to -negate- a hit (1/6) as I have of hitting (2/6.) The rest are just failures. With six dice going straight-flush style, I hit twice and one of them is cancelled. Or I "glitch," whatever that means.

Now, with a threshold for hits, 2 hits might be enough but with a glitch involved it might be a light wound rather than a medium, or it might just tear armor, or whatever else these newfangled computer-terms do. If a glitch negates hits, it'll leave me with a miss vs threshold 2.

Probably-wrong math by yours truly aside, the core (core, sort of like an apple core.) mechanic of Att + Skill is EXACTLY the same as WW, (Apparently, since its verified by others on the board unless I'm insane at this point. Possible, I concede.) The core method for deciding hits, and I -could- be wrong because I am limited in my WoD knowledge, is also the same (Fixed TN, no exploding dice except rare circumstances...) With this in mind, sadly, I have to conclude that SR 4 is indeed Shadowrun: 2070 mercs. Or whatever "Shadowrun: The Some-act-that-sounds-cool" would be best suited. (Ascention, Masquerade, Requium, Wandering, and other cool things already are taken. Sorry)

Which really makes it Shadowrun 2.0, not Shadowrun 1.3 (At least, that's how I'd see things, especially considering Fanpro's wise recognition of "legacy systems.") Its a sequel, not the same thing with a patch applied. It could be great, it looks...Dark...(Pun...Intended....)

Now, sleep claimeths. I hope. wobble.gif rotate.gif rotfl.gif [edit] P.S. thanks to those who spoke up to defend me - No, to defend what they feel is right. smile.gif
Ellery
It doesn't make sense to have 1's canceling out successes with a TN of 5, since you'd have to roll a huge fistfull of dice to have any hope of reliably generating a success. While I sincerely doubt they've put in enough thought to the statistics of their dice system to avoid all kinds of problems, I trust that they can at least avoid this pitfall.

It's less obvious to me what the possible set of glitch mechanics are, and which pitfalls they'd avoid. For example, if you glitch any time you roll at least one 1, you'd glitch almost every time if you had high attributes and good skills. I think this is something to avoid--but there's a huge diversity of possible glitch mechanics (glitch if you roll 1/3 ones, or 1/2 ones, or all ones, or more ones than successes, or half of the non-successes are ones, or . . .).

But this does sound rather like Shadow: the Running to me, in terms of mechanics.
hermit
.... or maybe 6's negate 1's, which is why they're better htits than fives? However, again, this would turn even an expert sniper (6 ATT + 6 SKILL) into clumsy smurf with a sniper rifle, as he'd glitch about one out of five times.

I dunno, but expanding the rule of one is something I more and more dislike. So far, for me, SR4 is a so-so affair - there are things I dislike, things I like, and things that needed no change but I can live with. However, if glitching means failing/reduced success, and happens by any mechanic discussed here ... then the success determination system is really flawed and really feels wrong even for someone who doesn't give too much about rules.
Milo Simpkin
Damn, this teaser page is very disheartening. Even with everything that had been said before I was still heartily looking forward to SR4, but now there are things that seem to completely go against the feel of the game here.

1) No Rule of Six. There was something about the way that gave even someone less skilled a chance, or someone with a high skill the ability to fight against seemingly insurrmountable modifiers. I was hoping this would still be the case. Unfortunately this gives me the impression it will be 'don't bother rolling you're not skilled enough to do this'.

2) Extended tests? So simplifying my making lots of rolls to achieve what SR did in one? Useful so you know how long something takes to do. And there's me thinking SR already handle that by the base time divided by successes. A very neat mechanic which I actually ended up converting to _other_ systems to get rid of extended tests.

Ahh well. I will still keep a 'wait and see' attitude but my excitement has now been dampened to 'ehhhh, I'll take a look'.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Shadow)

Yes, it is IS what I was talking about you nit wit.
Ol' Scratch
1) No Rule of Six. There was something about the way that gave even someone less skilled a chance, or someone with a high skill the ability to fight against seemingly insurrmountable modifiers. I was hoping this would still be the case. Unfortunately this gives me the impression it will be 'don't bother rolling you're not skilled enough to do this'.

Did you miss the whole "unless you're using Edge" bit? It seems that Edge isn't just a get-out-of-a-mess mechanic, but one that gives you a shot at performing impossible feats as well.

2) Extended tests? So simplifying my making lots of rolls to achieve what SR did in one? Useful so you know how long something takes to do. And there's me thinking SR already handle that by the base time divided by successes. A very neat mechanic which I actually ended up converting to _other_ systems to get rid of extended tests.

Extended Tests make a lot more sense than the way they do in SR3 if you ask me. It was silly that to have a base amount of time and then divide that time by the number of successes you scored. It always felt artificial to me. Extended Tests, from what's been described so far, feel a lot better AND can be used for things outside of building gear and whatnot. Heck, I can even see it being used for actions that would normally be impossible if you just take your time doing it.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Milo Simpkin)

2) Extended tests? So simplifying my making lots of rolls to achieve what SR did in one?

this is the most serious screw up that i've seen so far. If anyone rmembers back to the very first rules in 1st ed, in combat you rolled ofr each bullet fired, instead of more bullets just uping the damage. Their idea was that if you fire lots of bullets you might hit with one even if you hit with another. Sure it's realistic, especially if the shooter is the spray and pray kind, but that meanthat what should have been the most rapid part of the combat- automatic gun fire- play wise became the slowest element of play and a minigun could bring the wholething ot a screaming halt.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Shadow)

Disagreed. Take Intelligence as a prime example. It's currently overly complicated (and a bit nonsensical) that it not only determines how intelligent you are, but how perceptive you are. So any modifier to Intelligence or Intelligence Tests you get affects both of those, even though the intent of the modifier might have only been to improve the intellect aspect of it (such as with a Cerebral Booster).

Splitting that up into two different attributes not only simplifies the game, but makes it more versatile at the exact same time.

But I guess it depends on how you're defining "simplified." For me, simplified means that each attribute has a specific role that doesn't require a lot of exceptions, special conditions, or unique modifiers for specific subcategories of that attribute.
Adam
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (Milo Simpkin @ Jun 3 2005, 05:59 AM)

2) Extended tests? So simplifying my making lots of rolls to achieve what SR did in one?

this is the most serious screw up that i've seen so far. If anyone rmembers back to the very first rules in 1st ed, in combat you rolled ofr each bullet fired, instead of more bullets just uping the damage. Their idea was that if you fire lots of bullets you might hit with one even if you hit with another. Sure it's realistic, especially if the shooter is the spray and pray kind, but that meanthat what should have been the most rapid part of the combat- automatic gun fire- play wise became the slowest element of play and a minigun could bring the wholething ot a screaming halt.

Extended Tests are not used for autofire. They're used for things like long-term B/R tests, where you're not sure how long the action will take to finish. In most cases, I believe you'll be using Extended Tests during "downtime" activities -- repairing, building, creating -- not for 'adventuring' activities.
Ol' Scratch
I can see it being used by techies and whatnot when they're trying to open a maglock or something, too.
Adam
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 2 2005, 04:56 PM)
Also "Depressed that Smackdown is probably going to suck tonight."

I haven't watched it in months -- have I missed a show where it hasn't sucked? smile.gif

Oh, there have been a couple good episodes. And the last Smackdown PPV was shockingly good.

Anyway, just wanted to say that, since I don't have enough information yet to form a solid opinion on SR4, the only complaint I have at the moment is that someone, probably at Game Trade magazine, really needs to stop letting their 10-year old kid write their ad copy for their giveaways.  Unless that, of course, the target audience they have in mind are those who would rather not be labeled as "whacked" or a "serious trog" if they pass up on the "righteous" opportunity...  ohplease.gif

I agree; I'm pretty goddamned sure that text came from GTM people, not FanPro -- it certainly didn't come across my desk at any point in time.

Oh...and the "Bug City is love" icons scare me.

Excellent. smile.gif
RangerJoe
Hmmm.... maybe to deal with the increase in stats, I'll houserule SR4 down to a three-stat system, taking the average of the appropriate input stats, to create derived stats:

* Physical: Anything Physical
* Mental: Anything required mental activity
* Shadowrun: For any test dealing with a "Shadowrun" concept (I suppose this could be called Edge, since everyone is so hot and bothered about Edge), like "hacking," magic use, matrix use, cyberarm control, collecting great dragon toenail clippings, talking smack to an IE, or determining how filling your flesh is to a ghoul.

Now that's what I call streamlining.
hermit
... or you could go without any rules, attributes, and determine results by flipping a coin. Doesn't get any simpler (low attribute number) than zero, after all.
RangerJoe
I would go against the coin flipping because a fixed TN of heads is too hard to hit on a d2.
Jrayjoker
If I wanted a simple game I'd play Candyland (I have it and I'm not afraid to use it).

If I want to flip through 3-6 books for one skill (assuming I am using the expanded rules available) then I'll play SR3 (and I probably still will).

I'm still going to purchase SR4 and figure out if it is a game mechanic I want to play with. The arguments flinging around here don't hold a lot of water because noone can seem to allign their vocabulary (i.e. streamlined versus simple).

As far as I am concerned, the majority of the people who are fighting over this are just locked into their own definitions.

So if I say apple, do you all hear granny smith, washington, or iPod?
nezumi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Extended Tests make a lot more sense than the way they do in SR3 if you ask me.

While perhaps sound in concept, how can any of us comment on how sensical extended tests are if we haven't even seen them yet?

As for it being more streamlined... Streamlining isn't just to make something simplier (although that is part of it). It's also organizing something. Breaking intelligence into int and perception is more organized and more efficient, even if it's not simplier. That said, we can't look at one part and say the whole game is less streamlined. It may be an upfront cost for a later benefit. If attributes are made more complex by 50%, but the entire rest of the game is made simplier by 40%, it's a net profit.

However, streamlining really isn't my biggest concern when I play shadowrun. So I'm not overly excited that their new system may be so much faster given the price we may be paying.
Wounded Ronin
Bullshido.net has taught me that it's important to fling around insults and put people down when having discussions. It keeps everyone honest.
Ol' Scratch
So I'm not overly excited that their new system may be so much faster given the price we may be paying.

What? About the same price we paid ~seven years ago?
Kagetenshi
I think the price being referred to is in stuff that will be gotten rid of/dropped in the name of streamlining (pools, for example), not in cash.

Or was there a lot of that stuff that I've forgotten in 2e->3e?

~J
Ol' Scratch
Oh. But, yes, actually there was a lot of things that changed between SR2 and SR3. The two big ones that still keep getting moaned about to this day are the changes to initiative (which, for the most part, makes all those big initiative boosts not as powerful as they used to be, even though the price remained the same -- and based upon one of Crimsondude's rants earlier, that change should have killed every existing character he had as the outcome of practically every fight they were in would have been drastically altered by that devestating change to the rules) and the removal of things like grounding.

Then there was the removal of the Skill Web and skill Concentrations, the rate at which dice pools refreshed (every Turn instead of every action), and so on and so forth. And keep in mind that SR2 to SR3 was more of a revision of the rules, not a truly new edition.
nezumi
Yeah, that's what I said (although book prices HAVE gone up since 7 years ago). But even losing grounding and 2nd edition initiative is NOTHING compared to losing variable TNs and combat pool.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
based upon one of Crimsondude's rants earlier, that change should have killed every existing character he had as the outcome of practically every fight they were in would have been drastically altered by that devestating change to the rules)

You must be confusing what I actually said about CP and KP with whatever you're making up in your mind today.
Ol' Scratch
I don't know. I still get the impression that we do have "tactical" control in the game, it's just all been delegated to the Edge attribute. It apparently lets you perform actions with the equivalence of the old Rule of Six, lets you get out of a bad situation, and doubtlessly several other things. The only real difference is that we basically will only have one "tactical pool" for all of our actions rather than tons of little ones that are all derived from various other things, and actions will rely more strongly on your actual skill and related attributes as opposed to now where it's all about your skill, while your attributes influence some of your pools.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 3 2005, 11:22 AM)
based upon one of Crimsondude's rants earlier, that change should have killed every existing character he had as the outcome of practically every fight they were in would have been drastically altered by that devestating change to the rules)

You must be confusing what I actually said about CP and KP with whatever you're making up in your mind today.

No, I'm not confusing anything. It's no fault of mine that you want to stomp and pout about one major aspect of combat changing, but then try to pretend that an even more devestating change (to initiative) is somehow wholly unrelated and not a valid example of why you were stomping and pouting about the former change.

Being able to perform several actions before anyone else had a chance, and vice versa, to is far more devestating a change in combat than not having a couple extra dice to throw.
Cain
Disagreed. Take Intelligence as a prime example. It's currently overly complicated (and a bit nonsensical) that it not only determines how intelligent you are, but how perceptive you are. So any modifier to Intelligence or Intelligence Tests you get affects both of those, even though the intent of the modifier might have only been to improve the intellect aspect of it (such as with a Cerebral Booster).

Splitting that up into two different attributes not only simplifies the game, but makes it more versatile at the exact same time.

Not true. You've described one problem-- namely, that intelligence is an uberstat-- and confused it with a second problem, that of complexity. Linking intelligence and perception is standard in many games, and is quite intuitive and noncomplex. Look at GURPS (for complex systems) and BESM/Tri-Stat (for less complex systems). Both use an intelligence-style roll for perception.

Your point is valid in that, under the current rules, intelligence is an uberstat-- probably the biggest uberstat. It factors (directly or indirectly) into every dice pool except for karma, it factors into reaction, it's the linked attribute for every single technical skill, it's the skill used for perception, and it determines your starting knowledge skill points. That's a lot of work for a single stat.

Still, the question is: will breaking it up make the system more robust, less likely to be abused? The answer is no. In my experience, the more stats you have, the easier it becomes to abuse the system. It also leads to more arguments over which attribute should govern what situation. If you are out to simplify and fix the holes in a system, adding new attributes is not the way to go.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 3 2005, 11:35 AM)
No, I'm not confusing anything.  It's no fault of mine that you want to stomp and pout about one major aspect of combat changing, but then try to pretend that an even more devestating change (to initiative) is somehow wholly unrelated and not a valid example of why you were stomping and pouting about the former change.

Yeah, except that I never said anything about Initiative in the SR4 forum.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I'm pretty good at doing that all by myself.
Ol' Scratch
[qutoe]Yeah, except that I never said anything about Initiative in the SR4 forum.[/quote]
I never said you said that. I was implying that it was the same kind of argument, and 1) how asinine it was and 2) how many agree that gameplay improved despite the naysayers who were whining about the change in the beginning.
Reign Maker
1)So there has been talk about this edge attribute.... it states for non cyber non magical charecters.... does this mean the corporate secratary now has a chance of kicking the crap out of mr razor guy cause she has an edge... and gets to reroll her 6's while razor guy does not since he is cybered?

2)You can purchase Magic.. does this nulify the edge atrribute you had been previously purchasing... (no bother going into cyber mages not enough to even talk about it)?

3)Are ther going to be certain skills that edge rules over i.e.(Edge+skill) Is it trully an attribute like stated then, or a modifier (Att.+skill+edge)? If its meant to be a balancer that is an attribute like they stated this just seems to be a mechanic alone that would take up at least 1 chapter to explain (and not a short one)!

Eldritch
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Shadow)

I mentioned this in another board, but it's worth mentioning here - It's just amazing how civil the anti SR4 crowd is compared to the'Yay SR4!' crowd.

All of the insults have come form them, pissed off becuase we don't like the new game and they just can't understand why. And since they can't understand, or comprehend anothers point of view, they default to name calling.

Priceless.

The mods really need to pop in here and slap a few wrists.

I can only offer advice to the rest of the Anti SR4 crowd, ignore them when they resort to name calling. Ignore them, don't respond to their posts, Gloss over their messages, and forget they exists. They are not worth discussing this with. There are plenty of proSR4 people here to carry on a decent conversation with. Even Adam's popping withsomedecent info now and then smile.gif

(Thanks Adam)

Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Eldritch)
All of the insults have come from them...

Wow. I wish I had a pair of rose-tinted glasses, too. I mean, in just the last few minutes there's been this kind of a post by the "anti-SR4 crowd."

But nah, I must just be reading things. It's totally one-sided, and the "anti-SR4 crowd" is full of calm, passionate saints who would never say anything ugly to anyone. Especially to the developers or playtesters who've been kind enough to come here and voice their opinions about the game.

Oh, and just as a side note, Shadow -- you know, a friend of mine who also happens to be the guy you quoted during your little rant about how civil the "anti-SR4 crowd" is -- is, in fact, in the "anti-SR4 crowd."

Priceless.
Kagetenshi
You can find a lot of examples of the anti-SR4 crowd being insulting, but I wouldn't call that (edit: the post you linked to, or anything currently on that thread) one.

~J
Critias
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 3 2005, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (Eldritch)
All of the insults have come from them...

Wow. I wish I had a pair of rose-tinted glasses, too. I mean, in just the last few minutes there's been this kind of a post by the "anti-SR4 crowd."

But nah, I must just be reading things. It's totally one-sided, and the "anti-SR4 crowd" is full of calm, passionate saints who would never say anything ugly to anyone. Especially to the developers or playtesters who've been kind enough to come here and voice their opinions about the game.

Oh, and just as a side note, Shadow -- you know, a friend of mine who also happens to be the guy you quoted during your little rant about how civil the "anti-SR4 crowd" is -- is, in fact, in the "anti-SR4 crowd."

Priceless.

Funk, you are soaked in hypocrisy for even involving yourself in a conversation about politeness towards others.
Ol' Scratch
Never claimed otherwise. Though I noticed you just piped up, too. Imagine that.
Critias
Yeah. Funny, how I might toss two cents into a conversation where you quote me directly. How weird of me.
Ol' Scratch
Just pointing out the irony of a hypocrite calling someone else one is all. And by your logic, I had every right to post as well considering Eldritch was chastising the "yay SR4 crowd" for being rude (which, while certainly true for some and myself included, I never denied either).

But you and some of your friends seem to have trouble with people throwing your own logic back in your face, so that's no surprise.
Demonseed Elite
Pro- side, anti- side, it's all partisan, unfortunately. And partisans are just a pain in the ass to deal with. The people I enjoy dealing with the most are the ones who aren't saying much, but when they say something, make a point I haven't heard before.
Wireknight
I wouldn't call myself partisan. I've formed opinions based upon educated observations and reasonable conclusions drawn from them. The only people I find it to be a real pain to deal with are the people who formed opinions without basing them on the aformentioned gathering and reasonable interpretation of information, since they can't really defend their arguments with actual solid data, and as such tend to waste a lot more time arguing semantics and otherwise avoiding the addressing of well-crafted counter-arguments and detractions.
Hasagwan
QUOTE (Wireknight)
I wouldn't call myself partisan. I've formed opinions based upon educated observations and reasonable conclusions drawn from them. The only people I find it to be a real pain to deal with are the people who formed opinions without basing them on the aformentioned gathering and reasonable interpretation of information, since they can't really defend their arguments with actual solid data, and as such tend to waste a lot more time arguing semantics and otherwise avoiding the addressing of well-crafted counter-arguments and detractions.

What's the difference between a psychologist and a sociologist? Both of them look at the individual. However psychologists look at the person exclusively while sociologists look through society and social trends as well as that person.

That and the psychologists were founded by a guy obsessed with penis' and sociology was founded by a guy who thought they'd all become the new religion of the world rotfl.gif

My point is that people can look at the exact same things through educated observations and reasonable conclusions and draw different conclusions.
Nerbert
The problem is that neither side, in general, is really willing to respect the conclusions of the other side.

For example, the removal of Combat Pool has many people saying that there will be no dynamic allocateable resource in SR4. Another conclusion is that there is, its just working in some new way. But people don't seem to want to consider that, they just say that the removal of Combat Pool will ruin Shadowrun no matter what.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
You can find a lot of examples of the anti-SR4 crowd being insulting, but I wouldn't call that (edit: the post you linked to, or anything currently on that thread) one.

~J

Yeah Doc F, why don't you follow that back to the orginal thread, then follow it all the way back to where Nerbie fired off the first insult in that mess.

He's been condescending and insulting through a lot of his posts.

Where as people like Patrick have come out and just plain insulted people, all in defense of soemthing he's a part of, taking every little critisim as an insult. And escalating the discussion into insults.

Nerbert
I'm curious, where was my insult in the Vampire thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012