Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preview in Game Trade Magazine
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Yeah Doc F, why don't you...

Why? I'm not the one claiming one side's a saint while trying to villify the other. That would be you. Both sides have their share of people acting like asses and hurling insults at the drop of a hat. Your refusal or unwillingness to see it doesn't change the fact.
Eldritch
Sorry Nerbert, take it back to the thread where that discussion began - Edge I think. I belived you used words like elitist, and a few others I just honsetly don't remember, like I said, I start glossing those over as irrevelant.

And while the word elitist may or not be considered an insult, it's all in the context it's used.

Eldritch
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jun 3 2005, 04:42 PM)

Why? I'm not the one claiming one side's a saint while trying to villify the other. That would be you. Both sides have their share of people acting like asses and hurling insults at the drop of a hat. Your refusal or unwillingness to see it doesn't change the fact.

Yeah, we're not all saints in the anti-Sr4 crowd, but it sure seems that the ProSR4 peeps can't stand the fire. Sure I haven't gone through every thread since the incetption of this bard - And I;m sure you haven't either - but in a majority of them the Pro Sr4 camp has been the least capable of carrying on a decent, non insulting conversation.
Nerbert
I thought thats what you were refering to. The "elitests who's desires are unreasonable, opinions unswayable, and grasp reality tenacious[sic]" quote. I concede that it was a post in poor taste with little thought put into it. However, it was my knee jerk reaction to some very real problems.

Mostly its about the repeated degeneration of all arguments into semantical debates, the way in which Vampire is portrayed, the condescending attitude many poeple have had towards those they believe to be "newcomers" (namely, inexperience with Shadowrun specifically does not imply wholesale intelectual bankruptsy), the general persavisveness of certain opinions despite the lack of support, and the way a lot of Shadowrun players look down on people who play any other game as being imbeciles who can't take the heat.
Solstice
QUOTE (Eldritch)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 3 2005, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jun 3 2005, 04:42 PM)

Yeah, we're not all saints in the anti-Sr4 crowd, but it sure seems that the ProSR4 peeps can't stand the fire. Sure I haven't gone through every thread since the incetption of this bard - And I;m sure you haven't either - but in a majority of them the Pro Sr4 camp has been the least capable of carrying on a decent, non insulting conversation.

True that just look at Goodman.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jun 3 2005, 06:08 PM)
Sorry Nerbert, take it back to the thread where that discussion began

Try treating each new thread as a completely separate encounter. While it's hard to do all the time, it (in my opinion) promotes far less acrimonious interchanges, or at least requires severe disagreements on multiple completely separate topics to spark lasting acrimony.
the condescending attitude many poeple have had towards those they believe to be "newcomers" (namely, inexperience with Shadowrun specifically does not imply wholesale intelectual bankruptsy)

You don't get it, apparently. Cain is calling out bad GMing that is a mark of inexperience with RPGs in general. Whether or not it's Shadowrun is irrelevant—I've seen people grow and become good GMs in any number of games.
the way a lot of Shadowrun players look down on people who play any other game as being imbeciles who can't take the heat.

Which is why none of us ever play other games. Oh, right…
True that just look at Goodman.

That wasn't called for. Certainly he got way too caught up in people's opinions of SR4, but his departure from the SR4 forum and the manner thereof is a matter of public record that is, this close to its posting, not in any danger of being forgotten.

~J
Nerbert
Kage, you're absolutely right about looking at each thread seperately. There's something about forums that bring out the worst in people.

I'm not talking about what Cain is saying in the thread you're refering to. I'm refering to some things I've seen in other places. Believe me, I am aware of the mistakes I make in playing and running RPGs and posting on these forums is one of the ways I try to learn from it.

I didn't say that none of you play anything else. I'm just refering to some patterns of behavior that I've noticed.
Kagetenshi
Perhaps I jumped to conclusions. Those two lines seemed directly aimed at Cain's disagreement with you, but obviously I haven't been tracking every disagreement you (or anyone else who isn't me) have ended up in.

~J
Nerbert
No, mostly it had to do with some things said in the Strategic versus Dramatic thread, and the Edge idea that I suggested. Being civil is one of the things I've been striving to do, even when I disagree with people, and alienating specific individuals is not one of my goals.

I'm sure I've only had mixed success at this, at best.
Fortune
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Sure I haven't gone through every thread since the incetption of this bard - And I;m sure you haven't either ...

I have! nyahnyah.gif grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Jun 4 2005, 09:10 AM)
Sure I haven't gone through every thread since the incetption of this bard - And I;m sure you haven't either ...

I have! nyahnyah.gif grinbig.gif

Part of why I like having you around, you make me look sane sometimes. cyber.gif

~J
Eldritch
Heh, I've been through a lot - I just tend to stay away form the hard core mechanic-statistical analysis type threads - the math hurts my head smile.gif
Hell maybe those are the ones where the anti-SR4 clan gets nasty - dunno.
Critias
QUOTE (Nerbert)
No, mostly it had to do with some things said in the Strategic versus Dramatic thread, and the Edge idea that I suggested.

It wasn't an idea you suggested, it was a hypothesis you put forward and asked for opinions on. Then you got opinions, the opinions were that your hypothesis didn't mesh with what we'd been told about SR4, and you got all in a hissy 'cause we didn't say what you wanted us to say (so you tried to call us all stubborn and crazy).

And, yes, quite a few of us have gotten less than civil in recent weeks. You need to understand that most of us have been worrying at the bone of SR4 for a few months, now, very honestly almost from the hour the announcement was made. We've gnawed at every FAQ as it's been released, we've stated and restated the same arguments over and over again (hoping to gain understanding through repetition), and as the release date draws nearer we're all getting more and more frayed tempers over the whole thing. The dev team's getting busier (and more tired) as they deadline gets closer, the crazed fanatical SR3 fans are getting grouchier (and more bitter) as "our" game gets closer and closer to being replaced despite our misgivings over the new mechanic, and the SR4 fans are getting more and more excited (and more and more irritated at us for not being excited) the closer they get to buying a whole new game system.

And, believe it or not, DSF isn't really a haven for calm, rational, discussion even on the best of days. So, yeah. People are getting rude. It happens.
Nerbert
Your "opinions" were presented as "Your idea is rediculous, and does not mesh with anything that has been stated. You are clearly an ignorant, foolish person with no experience in anything more complicated then tic-tac-toe." only you didn't give any reason for it. You didn't explain which parts didn't mesh. You didn't explain why it was rediculous. It wasn't until I demonstrated that I wasn't going to be put down by offhand insults that I got even a shred of constructive feedback, which, when I disagreed with it, was turned into a semantical argument and ignored.

It is correct that it was not a particularly well developed idea, I said as much in my post. It is correct that some parts did not mesh entirely with what has been stated, but not for the reasons which were initially presented to me, such as "The Developers are getting rid of math."
Kagetenshi
Meh, DSF is usually relatively good about the rational part. The calm part not so much.

~J
Critias
Your "opinions" were presented as "Your idea is rediculous, and does not mesh with anything that has been stated.  You are clearly an ignorant, foolish person with no experience in anything more complicated then tic-tac-toe." only you didn't give any reason for it.

Right. Well, see, that (minus the spelling errors) was my opinion, at the time (and still is). You asked for my opinion, and I gave it. You don't need to back up an opinion with fact, if you don't want, that's why it's called an opinion. An opinion, like what you asked for. And then got. Opinion.

You didn't explain which parts didn't mesh.  You didn't explain why it was rediculous.  It wasn't until I demonstrated that I wasn't going to be put down by offhand insults that I got even a shred of constructive feedback...

I never expected you to be "put down" by insults (if by "put down" you mean something like "shut down," or "quieted" or whatever) -- I offered my opinion, which you asked for. Because my opinion was negative, and I don't really care how polite some people think I am, I guess I can see how you saw that opinion as insults. When you asked for more detail, I gave it, in a point-by-point list, that tried to explain the matter to you as methodically as I care to.

Then you said something, and I don't remember what it was, because I was busy getting called a liar by Synner. Then I was talking to them, instead of you, because that conversation was more interesting (and because you seemed genuinely incapable of grasping the concepts that I put forth to you, first very generally and then very specifically).

I stated my opinion on your hypothesis about how Edge worked, I (when asked) backed that opinion up with the facts that led me towards that opinion of your hypothesis about how Edge worked. If you can't see how your clunky mechanical idea clashes not only with the clearly documented basic mechanic of attribute + skill, but also how it butts heads with their oft-stated lusting for simplicity, that's not my problem, it's yours. Once it was clear you just didn't get it, I moved on.

Maybe you should, too.

I mean, I guess maybe you didn't notice that maybe I could have been right, since it's not like I saw a whole lot of positive, supporting, posts getting lost in that shuffle, y'know? Nevermind that you're the only person who thought your idea was a good one, I'm the bad guy for calling it like I (and apparently everyone else) saw it. I have yet to see anyone leaping to the defense of your hypothesis (except you, and even you are waffling, now). Maybe you should just let the matter drop, instead of continuing to be so hung up on what some mean man on the internet said when you asked for opinions.
Nerbert
I did let the matter drop. I was entering my experiences into a discussion of the general behavior of this forum. Kage misinterpreted some of my statements and I was clarifying. You on the other hand seem to have taken it personally.

You're right, you gave me your opinion, and while I probably should have thanked you for basically taking a verbal shit all over me, I instead decided to question your logic. Something which you don't seem willing to do.
Critias
QUOTE (Nerbert)
...I instead decided to question your logic. Something which you don't seem willing to do.

Uhm, well, no. See, that's why it's called my logic. It's not my job to question it. It already makes sense to me, or it wouldn't be called my logic. It's right there in the name. My logic. That's pretty much a giveaway of where I stand, when it comes to that particular logic, right there.
Nerbert
Ah, so because a conclusion is yours, that makes it correct and any disagreement incorrect.
Critias
Until proven otherwise. Yup.
Nerbert
But the proof is presented in the context of a disagreement, and so the proof itself is ignored because the disagreement is already incorrect.
Wounded Ronin
The doctrine of debate-fu dosen't necessarily stipulate that one must be calm at all times.
Eyeless Blond
It does stipulate that your conclusions may not be correct, so you need to at least have the capacity to recognize that you are capable of being wrong. At least that's how a proper debate works; internet debating merely stipulates that you have an infinite amount of free time to repeat yourself until everyone else gets tired of educating you on your wrongness and stop talking, thus leaving you free to declare victory despite still being wrong.

And no I'm not actually commenting on anyone in this thread, as I haven't read it. I'm just venting on an unrelated matter--which, now that I think about it, has been annoyingly common practice by many people on this forum, hasn't it? smile.gif
Arethusa
Everybody knows debate cannot function over the internet because firearms only work in real life.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jun 4 2005, 11:06 AM)
internet debating merely stipulates that you have an infinite amount of free time to repeat yourself until everyone else gets tired of educating you on your wrongness and stop talking, thus leaving you free to declare victory despite still being wrong.

You mean Little Brain-Big Bladder style Debate-fu? The name comes from the Dilbert comic found in Casual Day Has Gone Too Far.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Everybody knows debate cannot function over the internet because firearms only work in real life.

Mind if I add this to my sig Arethusa?
Arethusa
Not at all.
BookWyrm
I can't get it to load. I updated my Adobe Acrobat Reader to the latest version, but it won't display. mad.gif
Adam
Are you trying to load it within your browser, or did you save it to your hard drive and load it from there? I suggest doing the latter; the Acrobat Reader plugin for most browsers is often pretty quirky.
Eldritch
Yeah, Thats why I was thrilled to find the firefox extension that offers a download option whenever you click on a pdf - before It tries to load in your browser.

Oops, derailment.
Ol' Scratch
Or you could have just went into Acrobat Reader's preferences and told it not to load in a browser, too. smile.gif
BookWyrm
Saved it & I can see it now. Saves me a side-trip to Strat to find the magazine. And a lot of frustration on time-rearrangement. Thanks everyone. biggrin.gif
Cain
OT: I'm having the same trouble, and I checked the preferences. Acrobat is set to open .pdf's in the browser, but it still won't open unless I save it locally. Any ideas?
Kagetenshi
OS/Browser?

~J
Cain
Win XP/IE 6.0. Standard idiot's setup.
Arethusa
Get Firefox and stop attempting to view .pdfs in your browser anyway. Unless you have broadband and are running OSX (in which case the stuff you need for .pdfs is part of your OS), you don't stand a chance.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Get Firefox and stop attempting to view .pdfs in your browser anyway. Unless you have broadband and are running OSX (in which case the stuff you need for .pdfs is part of your OS), you don't stand a chance.

Amen.

Like Adam said, sometimes the PDF/Browser interface gets a little finicky.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 5 2005, 08:56 PM)
OT: I'm having the same trouble, and I checked the preferences.  Acrobat is set to open .pdf's in the browser, but it still won't open unless I save it locally.  Any ideas?

Version 6.0 of Acrobat Reader had that problem (actually I was using Acrobat 6.0, but I heard Reader was the same way), but 7.0 has been working fine for me.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Get Firefox and stop attempting to view .pdfs in your browser anyway.

They're not "attempting" to view it in their browser intentionally, it's doing it automatically whenever they click on the link (as opposed to opening it outside of the browser or giving them the option to download it). Specifically with links that aren't clearly labeled as .pdf files like, oh, the one in this thread.
Cain
I have Acrobat 7.0, and it's not working. What's firefox?
Kagetenshi
The second or third best browser on earth (not counting Lynx).

~J
Cain
2 questions:

1) I have a Celeron 766mhz. Can I use Firefox? It says Pentium only.

2) Will Firefox solve my .pdf problem?
Arethusa
Nothing short of buying a mac will solve your .pdf problem. The .pdf browser plugin is one of the worst commercial browser plugins ever made. Firefox is at least more stable and flexible than IE (and better in just about every important way).

And you can use Firefox just fine. It runs a hell of a lot better than IE.
BookWyrm
Cain, go to the offficial SR site, but *right-click* on the pdf article link. Save the file to My Documents under 'sr4article', then once it's saved, close the window to the site, then virus scan the file. If it doesn't open after that, dump it & forget about it.
Ellery
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Firefox is at least more stable and flexible than IE (and better in just about every important way).

IE is preinstalled. You have to install Firefox yourself. For many people, that makes IE better in a very important way.

I am glad, however, that I am not one of those people.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jun 6 2005, 02:00 AM)
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Firefox is at least more stable and flexible than IE (and better in just about every important way).

IE is preinstalled. You have to install Firefox yourself.

Actually, as of 10.4 IE is no longer preinstalled.

(Yes, I know what you meant, I'm just being snarky wink.gif )

~J
Cheops
Wow...I wish I hadn't just spent the past 20 minutes finishing off reading this thread...it seems like it was dead about 40 minutes ago...oh well
Shadow
QUOTE (Cheops)
Wow...I wish I hadn't just spent the past 20 minutes finishing off reading this thread...it seems like it was dead about 40 minutes ago...oh well

Agreed.

And I use Win Xp with Adobe Acrobat and I have never had any problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012