Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Cover
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Grinder
The more i look at it, the more is dislike it. At least the troll has a huge gun in his right hand. But why is the elf ninja thug wearing stockings an a miniskirt on a run? The dwarf probably has a hydrocephalus. And the spur of the sammy looks just silly. Nah.
Shadow
QUOTE (Grinder)
The more i look at it, the more is dislike it. At least the troll has a huge gun in his right hand. But why is the elf ninja thug wearing stockings an a miniskirt on a run? The dwarf probably has a hydrocephalus. And the spur of the sammy looks just silly. Nah.

Isn't the Troll a Mage?
Grinder
Yep. But he is allowed to swing around a huge gun too. smile.gif
weblife
Hey! - No you bash the SR3 cover!

I think the SR3 cover looks awesome. Its dynamic, there is movement, the proportions are believeable and lastly, the runners look like they are each actively trying to do something useful. Even if its just saving themselves from falling.

The new SR4 cover looks awful. There is no comparison. Its flat and dead.
Kagetenshi
The more I think about it, the more I realize that that's really true. The elf-ninja, for instance. I don't hate the way she looks because she's a walking stereotype, I hate the way she looks because she looks like she's rooted there, solidly immobile. The troll's firing out force lightning, sure, but he's just standing there and chilling. I don't even get a sense that the Dwarf is tapping away at stuff, just looking at it real carefully, and the bald Samurai has been there since time immemorial. At first I'd even mistaken the vapor trail on the 'Star vehicle for a part of the building behind.

~J
Veracusse
My main dislikes for this picture are the gumbie immobile look of the characters standing there, the abuse of too many happy colors, and the picture is way too busy. I think in this case that simple/less would have been more.

Personally I just think the picture is crap, rushed, and should be thrown out for something new. But I guess, AFAIK, this is the official picture they are going to use for the cover.

Best of Luck to them!

Veracusse
Veracusse
Just another comment;

I asked my wife's opinion on the cover and she said it had an underwater look. The flying things are fish, and the Troll is a big fish thing with fins on his head and scales on his back.

Maybe Fanpro is trying to go for an underwater theme with this cover. That would at least explain the mask on the super-elf-ninja-babe. But why is the mask's hose attached to her arm?

Veracusse
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (SR4-WTF? @ Jun 9 2005, 11:18 AM)

many eyes scrutinizing this drawing... not intirely fair, buy hey, we have a passion...

Indeed...for dick-waving-contests-over-minutae. To this forum that picture is like the crank version of Where Is Waldo. rotfl.gif

well it is the cover of the core book for the edition. It IS going to be scrutinized by every single person that even looks at SR4 in passing. A first impression shouldn't be "hmmm.... something looks off with this picture...", especially on the main book.

That being said, it's not horrible. But it should be able to stand up to at the least a quick once over. This one just comes across as too static. A few alterations cold go a long way to making it more viable IMO.
Solstice
Maybe this is a sign FanPro is finally catering to the hardcore fans....because you can be dang sure only the hardcore guys will buy a book with that abomination on the cover.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Veracusse)
Just another comment;

I asked my wife's opinion on the cover and she said it had an underwater look. The flying things are fish, and the Troll is a big fish thing with fins on his head and scales on his back.

Maybe Fanpro is trying to go for an underwater theme with this cover. That would at least explain the mask on the super-elf-ninja-babe. But why is the mask's hose attached to her arm?

Veracusse

Because she wants to be constantly sniffing her own armpit.
The Canterbury Tail
QUOTE (Dippy)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Jun 9 2005, 06:36 AM)
QUOTE (Moonlight Song @ Jun 9 2005, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Jun 9 2005, 02:36 AM)
Have you also noticed the シャドウラン on the building in the background, which literally translates as shadouran (using the modified Hepburn system).

Ah, good find! smile.gif I was trying (without success) to find the right translator for that on the Net.

I just happen to know my Hiragana and Katakana so it was a breeze.

It's also on the cover of Shadows of Asia.

In that case you'll know that it more approriately translates as "shi-ya-dou-ran" biggrin.gif

Nice to know that the Shadowrun RPG is still being advertised in 2070 or whenever they are setting SR4. What edition will they be using then, and will there have been as much debate prior to it's release?

Um, no. Look closely at the image, the ャ is not a full height kana character, but a smaller one, that means when put beside the シ to form シャ instead of shi and ya it becomes sha.
hermit
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Veracusse @ Jun 9 2005, 08:17 PM)
Just another comment;

I asked my wife's opinion on the cover and she said it had an underwater look.  The flying things are fish, and the Troll is a big fish thing with fins on his head and scales on his back.

Maybe Fanpro is trying to go for an underwater theme with this cover.  That would at least explain the mask on the super-elf-ninja-babe.  But why is the mask's hose attached to her arm?

Veracusse

Because she wants to be constantly sniffing her own armpit.

rotfl.gif

Anyone remember "A Fish Called Wanda"?
Nikoli
lol
Req
K-K-Ken's c-c-coming to k-k-kill me!
mintcar
In general I like it. It looks immobile and fixtured, but that makes it look like a cover if you think about it. That´s one of the main things I dissliked about the sr3 cover; that it looked like a good illustration for a situation, with lots of movement and action, but not suitable for a cover. It was just to specific. You get a "and.. what?" reaction to the sr3 cover. The sr4 cover fills exactly the same function as the sr2 cover, its easy to absorb its decorative (sr2 is boring if you see it from a distance or just glance at it, its dull gray), the sr4 cover its just right!

I know it seems I defend sr4 out of pure principle. But honestly think you´re all wrong about most things when it comes to this. Shadowrun seems to turn into something more to my taste and less to yours : ) (speaking to a majority of DS)
SirBedevere
QUOTE (mintcar)
Shadowrun seems to turn into something more to my taste and less to yours : ) (speaking to a majority of DS)

Aren't you lucky!
FrostyNSO
It's probably just me, but I get so much more of a shadowrun feel from the Shadows of Asia cover than the SR4 one.

edit: That or an Akira feeling.

Are those laser beams shooting between the dudes on the cover?
Crimsondude 2.0
It's tracer fire.
Nikoli
or to avoid ripping off "bullet time"
Crimsondude 2.0
Nah.

But it makes a lot of sense according to SR rules since in SR tracers don't do any damage. So why bother taking cover, right?
Jrayjoker
Based on the trajectories, the person/people shooting should be at short range and shouldn't miss.
Shadow
I actually thought they were laser sights.
Jrayjoker
Still, crappy aim.
Eldritch
Spray and Pray:

Sec guard turns as the door opens, "Gak! A troll combat mage and an ElfNinjaChick!" *Points SMG, looks away, closes eyes, waves gun and pulls trigger*
Jrayjoker
LOL. grinbig.gif

I suppose they could be running toward the door or something, but they are pretty close based on trajectories.
Eldritch
Or running away grinbig.gif
apollo124
The spur on the street sam looks to me like the one Robocop used in the first movie to access the computer, like maybe someone watched that movie to get an idea on how to draw one. And what is with the ankle armor street sam is wearing?

Why is a radiological hazard container outside in the open? Are those Star Wars style blast doors they are getting ready to go in to?

The dwarf has to be a woman, wearing current "fashion" basketball gear. Granted trolls are supposed to be big, but isn't he a bit much?
Metus
QUOTE (Mr.Cato)
...maybe some dedicated fan will craft a serious drawing that could be printed, laminated and glued to the SR4 book.

If that is truly the cover for the new edition, then I honestly plan on doing just that. Someone here needs to release an alternative to paste onto the front. I'll go to Kinko's and everything.
Critias
I still say a dignified, plain, black cover with nothing on it but the logo/name of the game would look sharp compared to that. Maybe even have circuitry running through the otherwise plain black...
fistandantilus4.0
That's actually a pretty cool idea Critias.

Not to say that your ideas aren't normally cool!

They're fine and everything ! Really! And ...ummm..... I .. Uhh.... I gotta go!

fistandantilus4.0
embossed even?
Moonlight Song
QUOTE (Critias)
I still say a dignified, plain, black cover with nothing on it but the logo/name of the game would look sharp compared to that. Maybe even have circuitry running through the otherwise plain black...

I agree.
Jrayjoker
Look at WoTC covers for their main book. Simple and not a picture per se.

Save the artsy stuff for inside and on the supplementals.

Regarding the size of the troll. Nope, that about right IMO. 9 feet tall and 700 lbs.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Critias)

Yeah that'd bee cool - but I'd use the old logo - or something like it - something that combined the aspects of techology and magic.

Yeah, black, embossed...That would be cool.

Maybe even consider a red logo - that would practically jump off the shelves as people walked by..... Put the colored art on the first page, "Welcome to the Shadows"

And back to my ideas on promotions - if they'd had time, there could have been a Design the new Shadowrun Logo contest.
Samoth
that cover is almost as bad as the SR3 cover.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Maybe even consider a red logo - that would practically jump off the shelves as people walked by..... Put the colored art on the first page, "Welcome to the Shadows"

I'd say blue and silver logo on a black background. Go with the Native American S.
nezumi
You guys have all forgotten, we've already done blue and black. The new BBB is burgundy. So think of something cool for burgundy.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (nezumi)
You guys have all forgotten, we've already done blue and black. The new BBB is burgundy. So think of something cool for burgundy.

Ummmm, silver and blue?

Seriously though, Gold foil accents around a black "S".
Nikoli
Howabout royal Purple in a fairly luminescent hue on the Burgandy, with some sort of pattern to make it look like an old leather bomber jacket?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)

Screw burgundy, we want the Big Burnt ochre Book.

~J
Nikoli
Howabout Gunmetal? Always loved that color.
Or howabout some tanslucent green with the logo a different color and fused on. definitely high tech
Eldritch
Got it!

Bright Neon Orange. With a picture of a giant hand giving you the finger, not title, nothing else.

You pick it up and open it - becuase what gamer wouldn't - it says:

Dear Drekhead.
This is the all new, simplified, streamlined Shadowrun RPG. Don't put it down yet DorkWad, it's not the same Book you bought and gave up on, whining that it was too hard, *Whah*. No, this one is easier, simpler and way cooler. In fact, don't even look through me, just take me up tot he counter and buy me. Take me home and play. Thats all. It's easy."

Why are you still standing here? GO!

Thanks,
Shadowrun RPG

biggrin.gif - said all in humor.
Jrayjoker
Well, I'd pick that up, who wouldn't?
Ol' Scratch
Solid black, or maybe with a subtle texture. The new stylized logo for "Shadowrun" emblazoned across the top, a new take on the dragon-goat skull in the center, and "Fourth Edition" elegantly emblazed along the bottom in a smaller version of the font used for the new logo.

That's what I would have liked to see. Lame acronyms only used on a message forum not being of any concern to it.

I'll gladly wait for it to be done with SR5 though when some third-party company is able to purchase the license and go about the whole thing the way they should have with SR4 (starting over completely from scratch rather than just hashing out a new mechanic and rules set). smile.gif
Jrayjoker
Lame acronyms only used on a message forum not being of any concern to it.

What lame acronyms?
Ol' Scratch
BBB.
Jrayjoker
Ahhh, thanks. I guess I am inured to it already.
Homme-qui-rigole
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Based on the trajectories, the person/people shooting should be at short range and shouldn't miss.

Yep, and from the angle, the gunners must be prones or dwarfs... look, it come from a low position...
Kagetenshi
Or shooting from the hip for some strange reason.

~J
Critias
Because it's cool, chummer!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012