Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Cover
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dippy
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail)
QUOTE (Moonlight Song @ Jun 9 2005, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Jun 9 2005, 02:36 AM)
Have you also noticed the シャドウラン on the building in the background, which literally translates as shadouran (using the modified Hepburn system).

Ah, good find! smile.gif I was trying (without success) to find the right translator for that on the Net.

I just happen to know my Hiragana and Katakana so it was a breeze.

It's also on the cover of Shadows of Asia.

In that case you'll know that it more approriately translates as "shi-ya-dou-ran" biggrin.gif

Nice to know that the Shadowrun RPG is still being advertised in 2070 or whenever they are setting SR4. What edition will they be using then, and will there have been as much debate prior to it's release?
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Shadow)
What gun is the sam using?

It's a heavy pistol with an extended magazine and a silencer. While the model may not appear to exist in canon, many guns in SR remain un-illustrated. Did you notice that the magazine is transparant? Nice touch.

On the other hand: What's with the dildo-shaped building in the background and the Jetsons-looking flying thing to the left of the Lone Star LAV? Just because the game is set in the future doesn't mean that everyone wears tinfoil jumpsuits and eats their meals in pill form.

I think "zero" would be the appropriate number of flying things in the background. There is not enough sky visible (and visibility is too low, what with the smog) to warrant being able to see all that air traffic. If they had to have a flying object they should have put a drone in the upper left foreground and given the sam something to aim at.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
Once again, I'm dissapointed... by a thread in this forum. I think the art is great.

And some of us are disappointed with the art.

We agree to disagree, but don't knock on our own taste in what we like for visuals. We all have different standards.

I'm disappointed in your disapppoinment in the disappointment of the art...
mmu1
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
It's a heavy pistol with an extended magazine and a silencer. While the model may not appear to exist in canon, many guns in SR remain un-illustrated. Did you notice that the magazine is transparant? Nice touch.

1. If that's a silencer, it's a really bad rendition.

2. A transparent magazine that's mostly obscured by the opaque grip of what should be a smartgun is actually rather silly. "Uh-oh... The transparent part of my mag is empty! I now have... between 10 and 1 rounds in the gun... Damn, I wish I could read, so I could use the smartlink ammo readout in my field of view..." wink.gif
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mmu1)
2. A transparent magazine that's mostly obscured by the opaque grip of what should be a smartgun is actually rather silly. "Uh-oh... The transparent part of my mag is empty! I now have... between 10 and 1 rounds in the gun... Damn, I wish I could read, so I could use the smartlink ammo readout in my field of view..." wink.gif

Smartlink doesn't help when the clip is not in the weapon, which coincidentally is right around the time that you're much more likely to see the whole clip. smile.gif
Grimtooth

Actually the weapon looks like a stylized Steyr SPP.

Steyr SPP
mmu1
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Jun 9 2005, 09:39 AM)

Smartlink doesn't help when the clip is not in the weapon, which coincidentally is right around the time that you're much more likely to see the whole clip. smile.gif

Which comes into play how often? It's only useful if you're doing something stupid to begin with - specifically, commonly carrying half-empty ammo clips around with you - and assumes you actually have the time to examine the clip and count the bullets as you load.

In real life, the only weapons (AKAIK) that use transparent mags are ones where the whole clip is visible at all times - and the benefits are not universally recognized, since hardly anyone has them in service. I think the use of plastic has more to do with weight savings than with transparency anyway...
SR4-WTF?
It might have low and limited functional use, but it is still highly functional in the area of cool looking. smile.gif
Mr. Man
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Jun 9 2005, 10:57 AM)
Which comes into play how often? It's only useful if you're doing something stupid to begin with - specifically, commonly carrying half-empty ammo clips around with you - and assumes you actually have the time to examine the clip and count the bullets as you load.

So you've never had a character with more than one type of ammo and more than one clip of each type? Sure, color coded tape on the clips is a good start but if you switch out ammo types a few times during a run how do you keep track of which clips you previously used part of?

If you want to get all mechanical: Yeah, the sam has a 6 INT anyway so of course he remembers. And nobody ever actually runs out of ammo during a firefight in Shadowrun anyway (I've had it happen once in the past four years of weekly play).

But I still don't think it's that ridiculous.

-- EDIT --

1. If that's a silencer, it's a really bad rendition.

Care to elaborate? A GIS on "silencer" doesn't seem to pull up anything radically different in appearance from the illustration...

SirBedevere
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
It might have low and limited functional use, but it is still highly functional in the area of cool looking. smile.gif

A matter of opinion. YVMV.
Clyde
So the runners here don't look very professional. Given that there are three dudes pointing laser aiming module equipped weapons at them and the cops are landing a vectored thrust vehicle to cut their retreat and they aren't even inside yet I don't think that taking cover was going to appreciably extend their lifespans. . . . biggrin.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
Care to elaborate? A GIS on "silencer" doesn't seem to pull up anything radically different in appearance from the illustration...

Sure. It's much too small - real silencers, as opposed to the things seen in movies, tend to be big, fat ugly things that are often nearly as large (if not larger) as the body of the pistol they're attached to not counting the grip.

nezumi
Hmm... At first I thought the sam is a throwback from 2050. Despite hypothetically being the most wired, he's the one farthest from the front (is it because his wired reflexes are no longer SOTA? Or because he figures 'I didn't get to be 45 by standing in FRONT of the troll when people shoot lasers at us'?), and as the dorky decker, sorry, hacker, shows off his total lack of fashion sense and style, our old-school sam fondles his program carrier as he remembers the good old days (notice, he also has silly MC Hammer pants. Maybe decking requires awful pants?)
SR4-WTF?
It does look more like just a nice beefy barrel. Such as with the Steyr SPP. The barrel is a bit longer, but pretty close.
hermit
If you want to get all mechanical: Yeah, the sam has a 6 INT anyway so of course he remembers.

NO. Since SR4 split INT, he wikll have a intuition of 6, and logic possibly around 3, since he spends all his Karma on edge, reaction, and intuition. Hence, he now needs some way to keep track of his bullets. Problem solved. biggrin.gif

And nobody ever actually runs out of ammo during a firefight in Shadowrun anyway (I've had it happen once in the past four years of weekly play).

Since glitches hapen more often, we can well presume that people now actually miss every once in a while when shooting. Besides, it happened to me recently, on that New Orleans run in Brainscan. Burst fire is good at wasting ammo. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)

Not quite that stupid. I know personally that if I use up about half a magazine and have a moment, I'll swap it out, and I'd consider it less sensible to dispose of the extra rounds than to save them just in case.

One thing that really gets to me is the lowermost laser. Either that's coming from someone pressed into the near wall of that doorway or it's vanishing in midair for no apparent reason.

~J
Mr.Cato
Concerning the "laser aiming module equiped weapon" that appears to be aimed at the runners...

amazing how they manage to NOT aim their beams at the troll or his 2 friends standing in the doorway cyber.gif

many eyes scrutinizing this drawing... not intirely fair, buy hey, we have a passion...
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (nezumi)
notice, he also has silly MC Hammer pants.

Did I notice? How could you NOT notice. nyahnyah.gif One glance at the picture and that damn "Dum-dum-de-dum, can't touch this!" was running through my head. wobble.gif

The bulkiness of the smoking jacket style long coat struck me as odd at first too, but maybe it is armoured? At this resolution at least the coat now looks like a camo pattern instead of a paisley print.

I'm guessing that round bun shaped thing strapped to his chest is likely hes personal network hub? So he doesn't need the wires hanging out all over, including to his weapon. The cyberspur does have a bit of an odd angle.

I am ok with the hacker still having the menu up. Even after the door is crack if he has mananaged to get right into the building CCSS he still has some work to do.

Postscript: Check the vapor trails below the LS VTOL, they are taking off not landing. Could be coincidental traffic at this point. That gives the hacker something to do, make sure a call can't be made into LS or their goose be cooked.
Mr.Cato
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
One thing that really gets to me is the lowermost laser. Either that's coming from someone pressed into the near wall of that doorway or it's vanishing in midair for no apparent reason.

...and that laser... could just be a case of dust/no-dust in the air. Looks allright to me.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mr.Cato)
...and that laser... could just be a case of dust/no-dust in the air. Looks allright to me.

The other two lasers are clearly visible for their entire in-picture length, as is that laser until it hits there. It's not at all reasonable to assume there's a gap in the dust unless there's an invisible mage there. If there is then Zug gets some awesome points, but also loses some for not conveying it at all.

~J
hobgoblin
im calling tracers on those lines. that is unless they are ares redline's or laser III's or something (ie, laser weapons, not aiming lasers).

and i have allready written my take on that spur, it looks like a variation on the handblade found in SR3.

that gun looks like a predator with extended clip and barrel. kinda like that barrel extention one should use on the desert eagle when firing .50ae ammo...

and the suit may be a cheap lined coat silly.gif

im guessing the dwarf (or could it be a gnome subrace? he have no beard!). it could be that he is pulling up a floorplan of be building on a holodisplay and maybe trying to highjack the security system of the building.

hmm, one problem with the image may well be the lack of motionblur on the people so that there is no indication in what direction they may be moving...
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Mr.Cato)
Concerning the "laser aiming module equiped weapon" that appears to be aimed at the runners...

amazing how they manage to NOT aim their beams at the troll or his 2 friends standing in the doorway cyber.gif

That might be the runner's salvation, they are going up against crapy rent-a-cops.

many eyes scrutinizing this drawing... not intirely fair, buy hey, we have a passion...

Indeed...for dick-waving-contests-over-minutae. To this forum that picture is like the crank version of Where Is Waldo. rotfl.gif
Shadow
It seems to me this is just another example of half assed effort.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the artist or his work. I said before it is very fine art. But it does not scream Shadowrun to me. With a little more care and a few revisions it could have been great.

As it is it borders on mediocre for Shadowrun.

For a long time the SR community has complained about the art in Shadowrun. Some of it is very good, most of it is forgettable. And nearly all of it bears no resemblance to anything written in the books. So the team that is designing SR4 doesn't listen about the art, why should I believe they listen about anything else?

Or worse, they think the cover is outstanding. Then I truly know that my opinion of SR has greatly diverged from theirs and it is less likely that SR4 will be anything I am even interested in, forget about if it is 'good' or 'bad'.

I said in another post no one sets out to design a bad game. But it happens none the less.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow)
With a little more care and a few revisions it could have been great.

Do we have confirmation that this is the final version?

~J
Garland
What's up with the beefcake veins on the troll's arm? Are his veins so popped that they're showing through a very tight shirt like that? Or is this supposed to be a wired shirt of something?
winterhawk11
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
im guessing the dwarf (or could it be a gnome subrace? he have no beard!)

Actually, I think that's a lady dwarf. Which would go a little further toward explaining the pants. smile.gif
hermit
What's up with the beefcake veins on the troll's arm? Are his veins so popped that they're showing through a very tight shirt like that? Or is this supposed to be a wired shirt of something?

Maybe the troll is one of these new, lower-magic mages who can spend their remaining "empty" essence points on cyber, and the bulges are actually some sort of muscle replacement thingy (as with Laubenstein's sammy in SR2's BBB).

Actually, I think that's a lady dwarf. Which would go a little further toward explaining the pants.

Ewww. And here I thought women have a higher chance than men at displaying fashion sense. nyahnyah.gif Besides, didn't female dwarves have beards too? Novels and sourcebooks never quite seemed to agree there.
Bigity
I can't get to the picture at work dangit.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Grimtooth)

Steyr SPP

Why would I want to pay a thousand bucks for that?
winterhawk11
QUOTE (hermit)
Ewww. And here I thought women have a higher chance than men at displaying fashion sense. nyahnyah.gif

Higher, maybe--but not 100%. Maybe she got caught out in her underdrawers...or else she was fresh from an audition for "Disco Dwarfs 2070" smile.gif

Besides, didn't female dwarves have beards too? Novels and sourcebooks never quite seemed to agree there.

Maybe they do, but they can shave... With a mug like that, though, the question is whether they should...
nezumi
Don't be silly. The hacker is a new subspecies - underpants gnome. Those are a pair of troll boxers she's filched in the previous run.
Kagetenshi
Dude, look at the Troll—that's closer in size to two fingers cut out of a Troll glove than Troll boxers.

~J
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Garland)

I just took the piping on the shirt to be a fashion statement. A statement that screams "victim", but a statement never-the-less. Notice that the piping running down the backside of the arm splits roughly around the form of his elbow.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jun 9 2005, 11:22 AM)

~J

Its up on the www.srrpg.com as the final version , so I would say yes.
Grinder
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Grimtooth @ Jun 9 2005, 09:45 AM)

Steyr SPP

Why would I want to pay a thousand bucks for that?

Style over substance?

Because it looks cool (in his opinion)?

Because people do stupid things regularly?

biggrin.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 9 2005, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jun 9 2005, 11:22 AM)

~J

Its up on the www.srrpg.com as the final version , so I would say yes.

Thats to bad.
Veracusse
Just one question: If this is supposed to be Shadowrun, where are all of the shadows? and why are the runners doing the run in what appears to be broad daylight? and in front of a Lone Star Patrol? Or is Anchorage, Athabaska the new setting for Shadowrun so that they can have white nights?

I realize the importance of cover art in promoting a product, and I think I would feel silly cary this book around anywhere. I am 28, and I would feel embarrassed to show it to someone I was trying to interest in playing the game.

Sometimes I wonder if the powers-to-be at FanPro really DO know their audience/market.

Veracusse
Critias
Maybe the super L33T extra pricey special edition limited availability one (for $999.99) from Gencon is a featureless black cover, with nothing on it but the Shadowrun logo.

And maybe this is just a scheme to sell them.
Mr.Cato
...maybe some dedicated fan will craft a serious drawing that could be printed, laminated and glued to the SR4 book.

Veracusse:
I am 28, and I would feel embarrassed to show it to someone I was trying to interest in playing the game.

maybe we have grown too old (me 28 too)... maybe they are aiming for the younger market...

HA... and I want it to look serious !!... maybe its time I find another hobby where the rulebooks fit the self-image I want to project??

seriously.. I will certainly play SR4, I'm just still shaking my head at the new front cover of my favorite book.
Ol' Scratch
I actually think that would have been a far better way to go for the cover. Like I said before, this one will just blend into the background and will do nil to bring in new customers, whereas a more artsy and stylistic cover would have caused it to stand out on the Shadowrun stack in the gamestores, thus drawing both eyes and customers to it.

But, oh well... it's their poor marketing decision to make.
Shadow
QUOTE (Veracusse)
Sometimes I wonder if the powers-to-be at FanPro really DO know their audience/market.

They do, and there 12 and play D&D and Vampire.
Jrayjoker
LOL
Yoan
QUOTE (Veracusse)
... I would feel embarrassed to show it to someone I was trying to interest in playing the game.

Exactly what I was thinking. Even the Third Edition cover is better than this joke... frown.gif
Jrayjoker
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. This is leaps and bounds above SR3 in my esteem.
Solstice
I agree, in fact I sort of like it in some perverse way.
Ol' Scratch
They're both about the same as far as I can tell, the only difference is that this one has a slightly more shadowrunning theme to it. Both feature goofy looking characters that few people I ever see play (and I've played with a huge array of player types in the past).

There's nothing -- nothing -- about it that would make me want to buy the product, and that should be the goal of cover art.
hermit
Indeed. SR3 was almost comical in it's goofyness. Anyway, it's not the cover but the content that counts.
Grinder
But a rpg-book without good arts sucks.
Veracusse
There's nothing -- nothing -- about it that would make me want to buy the product, and that should be the goal of cover art.

And not just the cover art of any old book, but the cover art of their brand new edition main book. This is the book that needs to sell. I just don't understand the logic that 12 year old doodles and cartoons sells books. Look at the DnD books, they look pretty good. I just picked up Alderac's L5R, and though a decent game, the cover look awesome and awe inspiring. The book looked professional based on its cover and that was nearly enough for me to buy it. It definitley stood out on the shelf. Too bad I can't say the same for SR4's cover.

Veracusse
Nikoli
ANyone else notice the superflous gas mask that is connected to the elf-ninja's friggen arm? What sort of mega drugs are they pumping into the water in 2070 that this seems like a good place to put your purifier?

Also, the troll's Armor? looks like it was ripped of the back of a crocodile, hosed off and slapped on last minute.

The more I look at this POS, (rarely do i criticise artwork like that), the more it looks like it was conceived by the same type of perople that dreamed up D&D the movie. They heard about but in the end, knew absolutely nothing of value within it.

And one more thing, the bald guy looks more like a phys-ad that got a cyber-spur from a street doc who was hooked on crack at a young age, and he's wearing a friggin tweed overcoat and parachute pants along with what looks like a bomb stapped to his chest.... I mean, at least it's not the joke that the SSC was, but it's not far off. I'll take the CC or the SR3 any day over this crap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012