Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrors, Cycle of Magic and Immortal Elves...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Hell Hound
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
...Hate to say it, Hell Hound, but that second part is an assumption that's not actually backed up in any of the books ... and you're basing the rest of your argument on that assumption of recognition.  (Find me a quote that directly says differently? smile.gif)

QUOTE (LOTRp61)
'... But I feel very small, and very uprooted, and well - desperate. The Enemy is so strong and terrible.'

QUOTE (LOTRp165)
'They come rom Mordor,' said Strider in a low voice. 'From Mordor, Barliman, if that means anything to you.
'Save us!' cried Mr Butterbur turning pale; the name evidently was known to him...'

QUOTE (LOTRp235)
'...We needed not the fell voice of the messenger to warn us that his words held both menace and deceit; for we knew already that the power that has re-entered Mordor has not changed, and ever has it betrayed us of old....'

QUOTE (LOTRp423)
...'We do not serve the Power of the Black Land far away, but neither are we yet at open war with him;...'

QUOTE (LOTRp868)
...for these were young men from Rohan, from Westfold far away, or husbandmen from Lossnarnach, and to them Mordor had been from childhood a name of evil...

Your right that I can't provide a quote that clearly states that the vast majority of middle earths inhabitants knew of Sauron. What there is though is examples of different people who all know of The Shadow in the East, even a simple innkeeper who lives far beyond the borders Mordor and is by no stretch of the imagination one of the heroes of the book. At the same time however I cannot think of anywhere in the book where it clearly states that the majority don't know of Sauron. Whenever Sauron is mentioned by one of his titles noone ever says "Who's that?".

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Oh, and you're also using "the 'evil' had to be recognised for what it was" and "the majority of people did not know of [the evil]" somewhat interchangeably, when they aren't really the same thing: the first implies general agreement that it is an evil; the second only requires that people know that a thing exists, whether or not they agree that it is evil or not.  I'll just briefly borrow Palpatine's Sithocracy from Star Wars to further example that point: should be self-explanatory?

That was a mistake on my part, a poorly worded remark. The first sentence should not have been 'recognise the evil' but 'recognise the power that evil possesses'. I stand by what I said before though, those that serve Sauron do not do so because they mistake him for one of the 'Good Guys'.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
The one human directly serving Sauron that we're introduced to in the trilogy is the messenger at Mordor.  Where, in that passage, is there any suggestion whatsoever that the messenger is serving Sauron out of fear?  Orks, yes.  Humans: not as based strictly on the core three-book text.  But the second part, the seeking of power: absolutely.  That's the fatal flaw that runs through everyone who goes of their own will against the Will of Iluvatar, Melkor and Sauron and Noldor and Numenoreans and Denethor/Boromir alike.

I didn't mean to imply that Fear is the only reason anyone would serve Sauron, I gave it as an example, again poor wording on my part. Also, the motivations of the Mouth of Sauron are not easy to define, he has a fairly small part in the novel. I would however point out that this fellow becomes terrified simply by having Aragorn beat him in a staring contest, his behaviour marks him as a stereotypical bully, which means he is utterly gutless. Does he serve Sauron out of fear? Probably not. Would he be afraid of Sauron and thus unable to leave his service if he ever did want to? Most likely. Just to be pedantic for a moment though, there are other humans directly serving Sauron in The Lord of the Rings. Well, former humans anyway, nine of them. smile.gif

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
...the wild men who asked only for relief ... from Gondor as well!...
To be pedantic one more time, the Woses desire relief not from Gondor but from Rohan, it is the Rohirrim that hunt them like beasts.

Perhaps I should revise my definition of Fantasy to say that the majority of characters in a Fantasy Novel recognise at least the power of the Monolithic Unrepentant Evil wether they serve it, fear it, or resist it.

Before I do that however I can't help but realise that we are drifting off topic again. smile.gif

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

More generally and not relating directly to this, I'm going to suggest that the reason most people wouldn't recognise the rise of a subtle evil is because it frequently takes the form of an apparent security and/or the reflection of your own self-interest; and tells you only what you want to hear.
Can't argue with that.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 18 2005, 06:36 AM)

I think I'll just stay entirely clear of the "what is evil" (vs. how to play Horrors) discussion.  Since the entire concept of evil almost has to be an a priori tenet, it's just simpler smile.gif  Won't stop me from throwing in my own definition into the ring though biggrin.gif -- I'll suggest that what underlies "evil" is complete and utter isolation from one's fellow human beings and from the gaiasphere more generally: one's own motivations are the only relevance to one's actions.  It's a humano-centric definition -- again a priori -- but it could be taken to apply to the Horrors if they are read as something outside humanity which is not intrinsically necessary to humanity.  (I don't remember who wrote the "culling of stagnant civilisations" comment, but it's a valid point.)

I would argue that only one a priori tenent can be consdiered valid. All a priori tenets, with the notable exception of Cogito ergo sum, are easily bodyslamed by relentless application of the regress argument. Knowledge is justified true belief and the regress problem makes all rational and logical justification impossible.

Therefore, I would argue that the only valid definition of evil is an Exestentialist definition. Evil is what I define it to be, nothing more or nothing less. Personal choice is the only justification that cannot be routed by the regress argument.

I choose to define the Horrors as good because their antics amuse me. Some people may choose to define the Horrors as evil. Both truths are equaly valid, but my personal truth matters most to me.

The fact that the Hororrs are evil is one of the founding premises of the Earthdawn game world. It is something that can only be taken at face value. Being a pre-defined premise, it requires no rational justification. I could argue untill the sun dies out and it wouldn't change that premise.
However, Earthdawn and Shadowrun are roleplaying games. All gamers are entitled to redefine the premises within their own micro-realities. Furthermore, Fanpro and Wizkids are entitled to redefine their premises of their primary Shadowrun reality. If they decide that the Horrors are soft, cute and fluffy rainbow-making, sunshine-spreading, fuzzy, pink, huggle-bunnies then that is their right.

The Horrors are what you choose for them to be.

Assuming that the dragon creation myth is true, Horrors are not irredemably evil. Nightslayer was a horror. He chose to abandon the Horror's way of life and create a new form of life. With his own will, he defined his creation as good and he defined the Horrors as evil. Namgivers, Horrors, and everything in betweem are all bound Nightslayer's choice.
The Horrors can be considered evil because they are so unlike Namegivers that mutual understanding is impossible. However, Namegivers are blessed with his power. They can choose to rename and redefine things as they see fit. It is difficult and dangerous, but Namgivers can redefine and Rename the Horrors. Nightslayer remade and redeemed himself. Other horrors can be redeemed, as well. All that is required is someone of sufficient will and power to put in the effort.

I was the one who made the comment about culling stagnant civilizations, by the way. Because this can be seen as good from a certain human perspective it is probably the best way to Rename the Horrors. They would make tempting gods for a corrupt Adversary Shaman and they could be corrupted into good Adversaries. The Adversary isn't evil because people are ultimatly bettered by the trials they suffer. The Adersary is simply a means to that betterment.

Edit: It is also possible for Namegivers to rename themselves to be more like the Horrors. They have the right to reject Nightslayers ideals and return to their roots. The Horrors are only evil because the forms of Namegivers are bound by Nightslayer's ideal. If one rejects that ideal and removes those binds that the schism between Horrors and Namegivers can be undone. There would be a fundamental change in perception. What was once evil would then be good and what was once good would then be evil.
Ellery
Knowledge is justified true belief and the regress problem makes all rational and logical justification impossible.

Therefore, I would argue that the only valid definition of evil is an Exestentialist definition. Evil is what I define it to be, nothing more or nothing less. Personal choice is the only justification that cannot be routed by the regress argument.
In other words, knowledge is defined to be something impossible, and then one can proceed to do whatever the heck they want.

Maybe this is an indication that you're working with a flawed concept of knowledge, albeit one that is often accepted in philosophical circles. I don't care to write a treatise on the foundation of knowledge on a board that's supposed to be discussing SR4; in brief, the concept of knowledge as a web of interrelated concepts and/or computations that have provided predictive power about experiences has a number of advantages over the traditional broken philosophical definition: it rescues knowledge from the mires of impossibility; it comports better with our intuitive notion of the word/concept; and so on.

And anyway, personal choice doesn't stop the infinite regress because you don't know that you have choice, and you can just regress that off into an unjustified belief if you're using that trick.

You can, of course, define words to mean whatever you please. The problem comes when you try to use your specially defined words to communicate with other people. They'll tend to misunderstand.

So with respect to horrors perhaps not being irredeemably evil--sure, I can at least entertain that notion, if you're using some standard definition of evil.

I'm not so sure about culling stagnant civilizations. Humans do a pretty good job of that themselves, with less drastic loss of life. Also, there's no particular guarantee that civilizations destroyed by horrors are the ones that were most deserving of being culled.
Talia Invierno
... the wild men who asked only for relief ... from Gondor as well!...
- Talia Invierno

To be pedantic one more time, the Woses desire relief not from Gondor but from Rohan, it is the Rohirrim that hunt them like beasts.
- Hell Hound

You're right, I goofed smile.gif And you're also right that the rest shifts off-topic, so I'll let it slide.
I'm not so sure about culling stagnant civilizations. Humans do a pretty good job of that themselves, with less drastic loss of life.
- Ellery

Hmm? Then again, up until now, we haven't had nuclear weaponry yet; and been limited to the possibilities inherent in efficient manipulation of the human assembly line. And if we do such a good job at overhauling/culling stagnant civilizations, how come we keep returning to the same types of stagnancies?

More later. Today is supposed to be a day off. (My body is threatening to come down with the flu. Viruses = Mini-Horrors spin.gif )
Homme-qui-rigole
QUOTE (JesterX)
As far as I know, some creators behind SR4 dislike that those things exists in the SR universe...

IMO, SURGE suck a lot more than that stuff, and some creators of SR4 are behind that...

PURGE the SURGE !!!!
Demonseed Elite
IMO, SURGE suck a lot more than that stuff, and some creators of SR4 are behind that...

No.

In reality, one person was behind SURGE. That person is not involved with SR4 at all.

As for Earthdawn links, some of them I like, some of them I think are crap. I've heard no mention at all of cutting the links entirely in SR4, but they definitely aren't our primary concern. We're not writing Earthdawn, we're writing Shadowrun.
Velocity
As I've said in the past, what I know about Earthdawn would fit in a gnat's ear, but AFAIK most of the "links" are somewhat tenuous and based on circumstantial evidence.

Which is to say, I understand that 'OOC' we all recognize the links and accept them but there doesn't seem to be (again, AFAIK) much in the way of explicit, concrete links.

Or am I mistaken?
Grinder
There are in-game hints like the immortal elves or the dragons? The mysterious artifacts which are discovered all over the world.

Or did i get something wrong?
Hell Hound
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
In reality, one person was behind SURGE.  That person is not involved with SR4 at all.

There's something I didn't know before, interesting. Is that person not involved in SR4 as in they left Fanpro or they are just not involved in the development process of the new BBB?

Personally I liked Surge, it was such a fun way to make players worry, shadowrunners like to remain inconspicuous which is difficult if you suddenly sprout horns or grow a new eye and start attracting mobs in white sheets with lynching ropes and burning torches. smile.gif

I don't mind the ED links in Shadowrun, although I must admit some material hasn't really worked, Harlequins Back was interesting to read but it didn't play well at all with my SR group at the time. I think perhaps the Horrors work best as a completely unknowable and almost totally unseen menace, like the Bottled Demon adventure from First Edition, players see the influence of the Horrors but not the Horrors themselves.

As for Horrors being evil/not-evil/redeemable in the end it probably doesn't matter for Shadowrun. Shadowrun (at least in my experience) doesn't reach a power level where players could confront entities of this kind and hope to win or even survive, so questions about their true nature become irrelevant. If it's going to kill you you don't worry about it's motivations, you kill it first or you run away.
Talia Invierno
AFAIK most of the "links" are somewhat tenuous and based on circumstantial evidence.
- Velocity

It's solid, but (like any particular specifics of canon) it's ignorable. Do you want specifics?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Velocity)
As I've said in the past, what I know about Earthdawn would fit in a gnat's ear, but AFAIK most of the "links" are somewhat tenuous and based on circumstantial evidence.

Which is to say, I understand that 'OOC' we all recognize the links and accept them but there doesn't seem to be (again, AFAIK) much in the way of explicit, concrete links.

Or am I mistaken?

You're mistaken. Harlequin's Back and the Dragonheart trilogy are about as explicit as they can be without printing "EARTHDAWN IS SHADOWRUN'S PAST" in giant letters on the cover. Likewise Worlds Without End.

~J
Velocity
QUOTE (Velocity)
AFAIK most of the "links" are somewhat tenuous and based on circumstantial evidence.
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
It's solid, but (like any particular specifics of canon) it's ignorable. Do you want specifics?

I don't want to put anyone to any trouble; besides, I'm pretty sure there's something on Unkie Ancient's site that'll clarify the issue for me.

Thanks anyway. smile.gif
bclements
Oh yeah. You want specifics? AH's site covers that (and other things as well) very nicely. FWIW, the closest any non-IE gets to uncovering it is probably in Threats (Lone Gunman, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day).
Velocity
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Likewise Worlds Without End

Worlds Without End? Don't know it.

Btw, nice to see you again. smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (bclements)
FWIW, the closest any non-IE gets to uncovering it is probably in Threats (Lone Gunman, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day).

And it's well-written imo.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jul 19 2005, 06:06 AM)
Knowledge is justified true belief and the regress problem makes all rational and logical justification impossible.

In other words, knowledge is defined to be something impossible, and then one can proceed to do whatever the heck they want.

Maybe this is an indication that you're working with a flawed concept of knowledge, albeit one that is often accepted in philosophical circles. I don't care to write a treatise on the foundation of knowledge on a board that's supposed to be discussing SR4; in brief, the concept of knowledge as a web of interrelated concepts and/or computations that have provided predictive power about experiences has a number of advantages over the traditional broken philosophical definition: it rescues knowledge from the mires of impossibility; it comports better with our intuitive notion of the word/concept; and so on.

And anyway, personal choice doesn't stop the infinite regress because you don't know that you have choice, and you can just regress that off into an unjustified belief if you're using that trick.

You can, of course, define words to mean whatever you please. The problem comes when you try to use your specially defined words to communicate with other people. They'll tend to misunderstand.

Abosulte knowledge is impossible. Knowledge within the bounds of arbitrary premises is quite easy. However, it is important to understand that the premises that you base your knowledge on are completely arbitrary.

You do not know what anything you experience is real. You just take the fact that it is on faith. If your experiences are absolutly false then your knowledge is absolutly false.

What the Exestentialist will recognize is that abosolute reality doesn't matter at all. Existance is a paradox of absurdity piled upon absurdity. Every being has a different truth depending upon its own unique frame of referance and all of those truths are equaly valid no matter how much they conflict.

Personal choice stops the infinte regressbecause it doesn't have to be justified. The issue seems to be one of language. The word choice implies free will but I was not using it in that context. All we know of absolute reality is that we have experiences. Those experience may be false but they do exist. I know that I experience thoughts and feelings. It doesn't matter where they come from. The fact that I experience them is the one thing that I can be sure of. Perhaps preferance is a better term than choice. One doesn't need free will to possess a preferance.

As for my definition of evil, I beleive that it is most everyone's definition of evil at the core of things. All moral systems are simply perversions of Egoism. We rail against that which makes us suffer and welcome that which brings us pleasure. Morality simply appears to be complex because of the comlexity of human emotion.

This actually fits your dictionary definition. However, it is important to remember that suffering is a matter of perspective. Surely, many players and readers take pleasure from the Horror's actions.
SL James
Then why don't existentialists change their reality?

Oh, that's right. Because it's impossible.

Absurdity is apparently in the eye of the behold as well, because that was pretty absurd to me.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 19 2005, 12:49 PM)

Absurdity is apparently in the eye of the behold as well, because that was pretty absurd to me.

Yes, it is absurd. That is the point. Nothing makes any sense. If you try to make sense of the reality you'll just hurt yourself by constantly running into intellectual brick walls. You might as well just stop thinking so hard and learn to enjoy the contradiction.

Changing your reality, however, is fairly easy. All you have to do is go far a walk. Once you step outside all of those walls just fade away and are replaced by a wide and open sky. It can also be done by changing your point of view and looking at things differently.

For example, I can see that the Horrors are evil from one point of view, that of an ED character. However, when I step out of that POV and look at the Horrors as a player they are most certainly good.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SL James)

Logical error: assuming that what the mind generates is consciously controllable.

~J
SL James
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 19 2005, 12:13 PM)

Yes, it is absurd. That is the point. Nothing makes any sense. If you try to make sense of the reality you'll just hurt yourself by constantly running into intellectual brick walls. You might as well just stop thinking and learn to enjoy the contradiction.

That's just... Stupid.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Logical error: assuming that what the mind generates is consciously controllable.

~J

As opposed to the logical proofs of Matrix-esque existentialism?
Shadow
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Yes, it is absurd. That is the point. Nothing makes any sense. If you try to make sense of the reality you'll just hurt yourself by constantly running into intellectual brick walls. You might as well just stop thinking so hard and learn to enjoy the contradiction.

Changing your reality, however, is fairly easy. All you have to do is go far a walk. Once you step outside all of those walls just fade away and are replaced by a wide and open sky. It can also be done by changing your point of view and looking at things differently.

For example, I can see that the Horrors are evil from one point of view, that of an ED character. However, when I step out of that POV and look at the Horrors as a player they are most certainly good.

This all assumes there are no absolute truths, no absolute good and evil.

Since there are though the person who assumes the definition of good is them, then they in fact become evil, regardless of what they chose to believe.

Horrors are evil. They are not good from their POV, they are evil.
Cheops
Existentialism seems like a very bad way of looking at the world. I haven't done too much looking into it because its total lack of religion and morals frightens me but what I have read seems to indicate "do whatever you want as long as you don't care about the consequences or what other people think about you." That leads to a VERY slippery slope. And a VERY scary one. Like Dr. Mengele scary.

A non-personal, non-arbitrary definition of what is evil or bad has been the goal of religion and society since we first started using tools and fire for a reason. Obviously, no one religion or society is right but humans need something greater than themselves guiding their actions and behavior or else terrible things start to happen.

This has been my interpretation of SR for a while. I see it as born of the loose morals of the 80's and 90's and the drastically increasing crime rates in the US and the emergence of crack cocaine. All these things created a situation by the end of the 80's that looked very bleak. It pointed towards a society with no sense of right and wrong apart from personal gratification.

You'll also not that this is usually the route that most civilizations that collapse follow. Increasing corruption and vice that eventually leads to a complete breakdown of the society. However, many "weak" cultures have also been subsumed by others just through cultural assimilation. Very few cultures have actually been destroyed through violent conflict--I can only think of several Native American cultures and possibly the Yiddish culture as examples.

So the horrors aren't really the cullers of civilizations. They can be agents of it, helping to corrupt and twist the morals of the culture, but they can't outright destroy it. That is up to society to do.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 19 2005, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 19 2005, 12:13 PM)

Yes, it is absurd. That is the point. Nothing makes any sense. If you try to make sense of the reality you'll just hurt yourself by constantly running into intellectual brick walls. You might as well just stop thinking and learn to enjoy the contradiction.

That's just... Stupid.

Exactly, I'm glad you understand. It is stupid. Everything is stupid. There is nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

As opposed to the logical proofs of Matrix-esque existentialism?

Nothing can be proven - ever. That is the point. Logical proofs about ultimate reality are pointless because they are utimatly inadeqate. All you can do is accept reality as you choose to percieve it. All perceptons are diffierent and they all can be changed
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cheops)
Existentialism seems like a very bad way of looking at the world. I haven't done too much looking into it because its total lack of religion and morals frightens me but what I have read seems to indicate "do whatever you want as long as you don't care about the consequences or what other people think about you." That leads to a VERY slippery slope. And a VERY scary one. Like Dr. Mengele scary.

On the contrary, it's very freeing. To do "good" only because of one's fear of punishment or disapproval of doing "evil" seems to me to be a very weak sort of "good". Then again, given that psychopathy is generally characterized by a lack of fear of negative results of one's actions, perhaps that's all humans are capable of.

(Logical error: assuming that everyone lacking that sort of fear will inevitably engage in acts harmful to others.)

~J
Shadow
It is also assuming people don't do good altruistically.
hyzmarca

QUOTE (Shadow)

Since there are though the person who assumes the definition of good is them, then they in fact become evil, regardless of what they chose to believe.

An absolute truth that cannot be understood by the human mind may as well not exist at all. It is like a car that cannot be driven - wasted material that only wastes space.

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 19 2005, 01:30 PM)
Existentialism seems like a very bad way of looking at the world.  I haven't done too much looking into it because its total lack of religion and morals frightens me but what I have read seems to indicate "do whatever you want as long as you don't care about the consequences or what other people think about you."  That leads to a VERY slippery slope.  And a VERY scary one.  Like Dr. Mengele scary.

Existentialism is philosopy of personal responsibility. The Existiantialist can not blame anyone else for his actions. If he chooses to break his own moral code then he must live with that choice.

Most people who do things that are considered "evil" do so against their own moral beliefs. However, they justify themselves with blame-shifting.

The abusive husband believes that hitting his wife is wrong. However, she made him hit her. He had no choice.

God made my do it. The devil made me do it. The government made me do it. I did it because I am poor. I did it because I played a video game. I did it because I mommy didn't breastfed me. I did it bacause I watched an X-rated movie.
These are the pathetic excuses of people who willfully did what they beleived was immoral.

An Existentalist has no one else to blame. If God appeared before me tomorrow, proved byond any possible doubt that he was the one and true God, and then told me to do something that I beleived was wrong I would tell Him to F himself with a rubber hose. No one is responsible for my actions but me.

A non-personal, non-arbitrary definition of what is evil or bad has been the goal of religion and society since we first started using tools and fire for a reason.  Obviously, no one religion or society is right but humans need something greater than themselves guiding their actions and behavior or else terrible things start to happen.

This is where one must diferientiate law from morality. The two are completely unrelated. Law is necessary, it allows society to function smoothly. However, law need not be based on morality. Quite the opposite is true. Law works best when it is based on purely practical concerns. Society needs the practical truths that everyone takes for granted. Society does not need any absolute truths.

This has been my interpretation of SR for a while.  I see it as born of the loose morals of the 80's and 90's and the drastically increasing crime rates in the US and the emergence of crack cocaine.  All these things created a situation by the end of the 80's that looked very bleak.  It pointed towards a society with no sense of right and wrong apart from personal gratification.

That is one way to percieve those decades. I would counter that morals were no more loser then than they were at any other time. The difference is that things that people once kept behind closed doors became more open.

You'll also not that this is usually the route that most civilizations that collapse follow.  Increasing corruption and vice that eventually leads to a complete breakdown of the society.

I would disagree. The great empires of history collapsed because they spread their resourced too thin. They lost the ability to defend their most remote boarders and attempts to do so simply weakened their core provences. Also, most great Empires are founded upon cults of personality. So long as they are helmed by a leader that can hold them together they are strong. When the leader dies without a suitable heir the civilization cannot hold under its own weight. Alexander's empire is the best example of this.
Shadow
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Shadow)

An absolute truth that cannot be understood by the human mind may as well not exist at all. It is like a car that cannot be driven - wasted material that only wastes space.

Just because you cant percieve it doesn't meen its not there. You simply have closed your mind off to any possibility and assumed there isn't.

Ignoring the truth does not make it any less the truth.
Kagetenshi
If it cannot be perceived, it cannot be acted upon, acted with, etc. We can no more act in accord with it than we can determine truly probabilistic events before observing them. It may be the truth, but it is a truth without meaning.

I will point out to Hyzmarca, though, that he is assuming that the human mind is all that's important—a car cannot be driven by a snail, but I would disagree with that snail as to whether or not the car has worth.

~J
Sharaloth
Existentialism is philosopy of personal responsibility. The Existiantialist can not blame anyone else for his actions. If he chooses to break his own moral code then he must live with that choice.
<snip>
An Existentalist has no one else to blame. If God appeared before me tomorrow, proved byond any possible doubt that he was the one and true God, and then told me to do something that I beleived was wrong I would tell Him to F himself with a rubber hose. No one is responsible for my actions but me.

Existentialism is not a philosophy of any responsibility whatsoever, the personal moral code you are espousing is more a Nietzschean idea than anything existentialist. The existentialist cannot blame anyone else for his actions because he cannot be sure he commited those actions at all, let alone whether or not they violated his own personal and completely arbitrary moral code. Existentialism is concerned with questions of reality and perception, not 'right' and 'wrong', because in an existential arena those types of questions become groundless. That an existentialist would choose to follow a moral code is actually completely seperate from them being an existentialist or that philosophy, and more an indication of that person being less an pure existentialist and more just a little overwhelmed by some of the weirder aspects of the universe and reality in general.

As an outgrowth of this, if God appeared before an Existentialist and proved beyond any possible doubt that he was the one and true God, the existentialist would immediately do or not do whatever said God told him to do, regardless of any personal moral code he would have had before God did the proving thing. This is simply because the only way to prove anything to an existentialist besides his own existence is to make him no longer an existentialist, thus radically altering the existentialist from the core outward, and likely into something that would do whatever God told it to do. The Nietzschean, on the other hand, having already accepted the possibility of proveable reality outside themselves, would not have to be so altered to accept proof that God does, indeed exist, and has decided to give them a direct order. They'd also have no problems telling God to F off, because Nietzscheans (assuming they're of the Superman and not Nihilist variety)place a higher value on their own moral code than anything given by another.

Just because you cant percieve it doesn't meen its not there. You simply have closed your mind off to any possibility and assumed there isn't.

If it cannot be perceived, it cannot be acted upon, acted with, etc. We can no more act in accord with it than we can determine truly probabilistic events before observing them. It may be the truth, but it is a truth without meaning.

1)An absolute truth that cannot be (as opposed to is not yet) understood by the human mind is not by necessity a waste of material and space, indeed with the interconnectedness of observeable reality such a truth could be monumentally important to all aspects of existance, without its existence the very foundation of observable reality could be altered to the point of of unrecognizability. Just because we can't and never will understand how the car can be driven doesn't make the car any less useful or important, especially if it's the car we happen to be riding in.

2) If you assume that just because you can't perceive something, then it must be there, you are commiting the same fallacy as assuming because you can't perceive it, it isn't there. neither position is better or worse than the other, and Kagetenshi is completely correct in saying that you cannot act on something you can't perceive (at least, not with any real effectiveness beyond Chance)

3) it is not necessarily a truth without meaning, either. See point (1) for an example. It is simply a truth we have yet to discover (as opposed to cannot discover, exemplifying the difference between what we cannot perceive and what we cannot understand.)
Talia Invierno
Oh, why not? It suits my current state of mind biggrin.gif

And I'll mention first a thanks to Sharaloth for that distinguishing; and add that instead of perception or intent or social contract or external virtuous ideal, existentialism places one's own behaviours, one's own actions, as primary. One is what one does; one is because one does; and what one does is the totality of what one is. An individual can choose to place that into whatever moral construct they wish, but to do so erodes its purity, seeks to lock us away from the essential (terrifying) freedom to which we have been condemned.

(If you've seen The Truman Show, you've seen one of Sartre's plays ... answered.)

"Nietzschean-ism" denies the ultimate validity of any behaviour- or thought-moulding construct that isn't cored within a personal will to power, and thus casts a spotlight on a different path to personal freedom. Anything less, within this model, would not only be lying to ourselves, but would deny us our own essential personal freedom. (This includes any seeking of some moral justification in undertaking actions of personal benefit to ourselves ... something that might have some relevance within the current state of things.)

For people growing up within a society so freedom-worshipping, one would think we wouldn't fear it so.

For me, I think Sartre, Beckett and Nietzsche stopped too soon in their rejection of any absolute that is not inherent within the individual (and thus, implicitly or explicitly, any absolute that ventures at all outside the individual) ... but then again I also think there is no useful separation between the impersonal and the personal, the objective and the subjective, and that gets complicated to try to translate.
- Shadow

First, absolute truths and absolute good/evil aren't one and the same. Second, the limitation is not whether or not it exists (left open), but our capacity to perceive/comprehend.
An absolute truth that cannot be understood by the human mind may as well not exist at all.
- hyzmarca

Why do you say "cannot", hyzmarca? Maybe one person, or ten, or a thousand, or a billion might currently lack the capacity -- but you lock the door and throw away the key? That's just as absolute a truth as the one you reject! smile.gif (But this is also reiterated in Sharaloth's points.)
(Logical error: assuming that everyone lacking that sort of fear will inevitably engage in acts harmful to others.)
- Kagetenshi

Thank you! smile.gif That's the one from which all the inability to trust/attempting to derive personal freedom by seeking control over others/far too many weaponry issues flow.

Hmm. Add a question: why do you play Shadowrun, Cheops? and what's your style of play? (I'm making the assumption that you do: you're on this board.)

A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring:
There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.

- An Essay on Criticism
mfb
take it to the philosophy SIG, two nodes down. the important part is that horrors enjoy causing pain. whether it's some sort of metaphysical biological necessity or choice or whatever isn't particularly important. on any scale that matters to humans and metahumans, they're evil. no other scale is really relevant, especially in SR.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Ellery)
Let's consider all horror powers:

I fail to see what will be gained by doing so—not all Horrors possess all powers, and if we're going to consider a group evil or not evil based on powers that some possess, we may as well condemn Great Dragons for their cursed karma-esque power or metahumans for the ability to cast Agony.
The powers generally involve hampering metahumans in unpleasant ways, controlling them, or causing them excruciating pain and damage

I disagree, I'll address this shortly.
(or causing corpses to walk around, which is disturbing and unpleasant).

To some, the practice of butchering animals for food is disturbing and unpleasant. The fact that the walking dead give some the heebie-jeebies is not solid ground from which to reason that those who have the power are more likely to be evil. If it were, we would also have to condemn Houngan (what is the proper plural of that anyway?) and Lwa.
Not nice things.  In fact, the whole list doesn't have a single thing on it that doesn't have a really wretched downside to it.  Damaging powers are inhumane, powers that boost abilities come at terrible cost to the boosted, and there are plenty of powers that involve horrors becoming more powerful when metahumans ("name-givers") are dying or suffering.

Fine, let's go down the list.

Animate Dead: neutral. Doesn't affect anyone. The animated dead can be used for purposes good or ill, certainly, but that's just as true of a pocket-knife.

Aura of Awe: a somewhat iffy power, certainly, as it involves affecting the minds of others possibly without their consent. Kindergarten-grade as compared to the mind-rape that is Control Thoughts and Mindprobe.

Corrupt Karma: a power with very legitimate self-defense applications. Nothing inherently evil there.

Corrupt Reality: see Corrupt Karma.

Cursed Luck: see Corrupt Karma.

Damage Shift: see… I think you get the picture.

Disrupt Magic: see Corrupt Karma.

Dream Shape: more or less within the power of metahuman mages. Nothing restricts it to being used for the detriment of the dreamer.

Energy Drain: this isn't a power, it's an innate ability. Might as well put "eating" on the metahuman list.

Forge Horror Construct: another innate ability that's been tossed into the powers list. This one certainly requires a transformation, one that we can assume is painful, but says nowhere that it must be done on unwilling subjects or anything of that nature.

This is getting old fast, so I'll skip the rest save the one that would generally be considered most injurious to my argument, Skin Shift. It's certainly a horrifying-sounding power, inflicting damage but also causing unnecessary additional pain while doing so (similar to, say, Agony). Certainly those who take great pleasure in using it when not necessary could be said to be malicious. On the other hand, possession of a tool does not equate to use of the tool, or use of the tool for a specific end—it could be an excellent means of minimizing total harm when used in self-defense (it acts as a great deterrent in multiple-attacker situations—not many people want to keep attacking when the first person gets Skin Shifted).
Let's suppose for a moment that all this shows is that horrors can only subsist on metahuman suffering.  Even so, they seem to have no interest in minimizing this suffering.  (I challenge you to find a single example of a horror carefully limiting its power to cause suffering so as to make as few people miserable as possible, to the least extent possible.)

This would require us to know the minimum subsistence level of Horrors. For all we know, Chantrel's Horror could very well be doing the absolute minimum required to exist.
Wicked?  Yep.  Injurious?  Yep.  Characterized by suffering?  Yep.

Looks like evil to me.

If you bring those assumptions in with you, of course you're going to find them.
Finally, Tempter has Circle 6 Illusionist spells, which it could use extensively to aid people who have wishes, but instead it chooses to always offer Karma Boost.  It presents constant temptation, preying upon the weakness of desire for power.  With mental attributes of over 20 (that's very good, in ED terms), it cannot possibly not know what the consequences of its actions are.  So there isn't really much excuse for it being evil accidentally.  Tempter tries to be.

It offers Karma Boost for a reason. What that reason is is uncertain—it could be that it doesn't gain sustenance from directly achieving ends as opposed to aiding others in achieving them, or that it feels that the exercise of individual will and effort towards an end is more desirable than their complete rescue by an outside force, any number of reasons.
If you find my logic deeply flawed, don't just say so.  Point out where.  Point out the particular problems in the logic--unsubstantiated premises, conclusions that do not follow from the premises, incorrect definitions, etc..

Certainly. I've taken long enough writing this, though, so I'll save that for another post.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sharaloth)

1)An absolute truth that cannot be (as opposed to is not yet) understood by the human mind is not by necessity a waste of material and space, indeed with the interconnectedness of observeable reality such a truth could be monumentally important to all aspects of existance, without its existence the very foundation of observable reality could be altered to the point of of unrecognizability. Just because we can't and never will understand how the car can be driven doesn't make the car any less useful or important, especially if it's the car we happen to be riding in.

The truth of which you refer is the truth of How. How is easy enough to deal with using empirical science if you begin form the Premise that your senses supply accurate information. How tells us nothing about morality. Absolute good and evil must be defined in relation to the absolute purpose of the universe. Anything that works toward that purpose is good. Anything that works against that purpose is evil.
Even if one were to understand the absolute purpose of the universe it would be impossible to meaningfully differentiate that truth from any realitive purpose one would personally impose on the universe.

There is no proof that the universe has any purpose. Indeed, it does not need a purpose so long as it functions.

Existentialism is not a philosophy of any responsibility whatsoever, the personal moral code you are espousing is more a Nietzschean idea than anything existentialist. The existentialist cannot blame anyone else for his actions because he cannot be sure he commited those actions at all, let alone whether or not they violated his own personal and completely arbitrary moral code. Existentialism is concerned with questions of reality and perception, not 'right' and 'wrong', because in an existential arena those types of questions become groundless. That an existentialist would choose to follow a moral code is actually completely seperate from them being an existentialist or that philosophy, and more an indication of that person being less an pure existentialist and more just a little overwhelmed by some of the weirder aspects of the universe and reality in general.

When discussing good and evil and absolute truths unto themselves one must discuss the nature of absolute truth. Perhaps I didn't articulate the meaning of personal responsibility quite well enough. However, Talia provided a good springboard for me.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
And I'll mention first a thanks to Sharaloth for that distinguishing; and add that instead of perception or intent or social contract or external virtuous ideal, existentialism places one's own behaviours, one's own actions, as primary. One is what one does; one is because one does; and what one does is the totality of what one is. An individual can choose to place that into whatever moral construct they wish, but to do so erodes its purity, seeks to lock us away from the essential (terrifying) freedom to which we have been condemned.

Yes, one is what one does. If I go out and murder some people then I am a murder. If I believe that it is bad to be a murder - if I believe that I have become something that is bad - then I have no one to blame but myself. Perhaps moral code was a bad choice. Saying that it is bad to be a murder is like saying that it is bad to be poor. No one would say that being poor is immoral. However, most would agree that it is an undesireable state of being. Believing that some states of being are more or less desireable than others does nothing to undermine the freedom provided by existentialism.

An absolute truth that cannot be understood by the human mind may as well not exist at all.
- hyzmarca

Why do you say "cannot", hyzmarca? Maybe one person, or ten, or a thousand, or a billion might currently lack the capacity -- but you lock the door and throw away the key? That's just as absolute a truth as the one you reject! smile.gif (But this is also reiterated in Sharaloth's points.)

I do not lock the door, I simply say that absolute truth is irrevelant unless one percieves it with absolute certainly. Absolute certainty is required to differentiate absolute truth from lesser truths. If someone can, then more power to them. However, even then it is only relevant to that one.
Talia Invierno
I may not be able to look directly at the sun, but I can still appreciate and find useful the reflection of its light.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 19 2005, 09:19 PM)
I may not be able to look directly at the sun, but I can still appreciate and find useful the reflection of its light.

You don't have to look at the sun in order to perceive it. That you believe it provides light is evidence enough that you perceive its existance.

Edit: More importantly, If I told you that your sun was a halucination would you believe me? If I told you that you are a mental patient in an asylum miles underground and the no human being has ever seen the sun would you accept my truth or would you cling to your own perception. What if everything you know is absolutly false and I know the absolute truth? Would you believe my truth when I can offer no evidence of what I say. Would you give up all that you believe on my word alone?

Now that I think about it, it is possible for us to know the absolute purpose of the Eartdawn and Shadowrun universes. Because these universes are subordinant to our own we are as Gods in relation them to. The purpose of the ED and SR universes is to provide enterainment for the players and profit for the license holders. Horrors serve this end, even if they are unaware of the fact. Therefore, the Horrors are good in an absolute sense.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Locked in a cave deep below the earth, the sun matters not to me—it is only important in the heat that it brings, and not distinguishable from the core of the earth below. If you build a flawed analogy, you can claim to demonstrate anything.

~J
Ancient History
"Some matters, such as mushrooms, require darkness to grow."
--The Living Buddha
blakkie
"If only one could tell true logic from false logic as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools."
-- Katherine Mansfield, with spelling corrected
Ellery
QUOTE (Cheops)

A non-personal, non-arbitrary definition of what is evil or bad has been the goal of religion and society since we first started using tools and fire for a reason. Obviously, no one religion or society is right but humans need something greater than themselves guiding their actions and behavior or else terrible things start to happen.
I agree the Existentialism is a "bad" (relatively unhelpful) way of looking at the world. It's so unhelpful, in fact, that I don't really worry about people becoming pathalogically immoral with Existentialism as a justification any more than I worry about them walking through walls with Existentialism as justification. I worry more about religions inciting that type of behavior by assuming that they have the correct non-personal non-arbitrary definiition of evil. The "obviously, no one religion has..." statement is none too obvious to many adherants of religions. One might even argue that belief in such a statement negates the power of religion in the first place.

But, anyway, it has not been my observation that a lack of religion has a huge amount to do with a lack of morals. I know very moral atheists, and I know of very immoral theists (I try to stay away from such people personally), and I know immoral atheists and moral theists, and everything else in between. Much of morality apparently (and luckily) comes from human nature and upbringing, and doesn't depend so much on the silly philosophical ideals that might be floating around in people's heads.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Abosulte knowledge is impossible. Knowledge within the bounds of arbitrary premises is quite easy. However, it is important to understand that the premises that you base your knowledge on are completely arbitrary.
Er, that sounds like a statement of absolute knowledge to me. Do you mean, "it is my perception that absolute knowledge is impossible"? Why are you telling me about my premises when you don't have my experiences? As an Existentialist, it seems to me that you are claiming that you cannot know or make any such claims, and it also seems to me that therefore you're internally contradicting yourself based on your own perceptions (which I believe you've told me is a no-no even for Existentialists).

This is perhaps the core problem with Existentialism: it provides no foundation for understanding others or communicating information. It claims that we need not have any means of communications, and is rather mute about why it is that we do seem to have such a means of communications. It's basically giving up.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You do not know what anything you experience is real. You just take the fact that it is on faith. If your experiences are absolutly false then your knowledge is absolutly false.

What the Exestentialist will recognize is that abosolute reality doesn't matter at all. Existance is a paradox of absurdity piled upon absurdity. Every being has a different truth depending upon its own unique frame of referance and all of those truths are equaly valid no matter how much they conflict.

Personal choice stops the infinte regressbecause it doesn't have to be justified.
Wait, why not? Why doesn't personal choice or preference have to be justified? Don't you have to justify that statement, at least up to the point that you decide that shared knowledge is impossible and you may as well blow bubbles at me as try to communicate concepts?

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
All moral systems are simply perversions of Egoism. We rail against that which makes us suffer and welcome that which brings us pleasure. Morality simply appears to be complex because of the comlexity of human emotion.
Wellll, if by "perversion" you include "generalization", then I'd agree. Moral systems typically involve collective assessment of suffering and pleasure, not merely individual assessment. To the extent that Existentialism can support a moral system, it is probably an exception to this, however.

QUOTE (kagetenshi)
QUOTE (SL James)
It may be a logical error, or it may be more subtle than that. If I were to say what James said, I'd be pointing out that Existentialism seems to support vastly more than is observed in reality. Existentialism is certainly consistent with the ability of people to arbitrarily (or nearly arbitrarily) change their reality. What are the philosophical implications of the observation that we can't seem to do this? Perhaps what the mind generates is not consciously controllable, but why not? What, if anything, does control it?

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
All you can do is accept reality as you choose to percieve it.All perceptons are diffierent and they all can be changed
Um...maybe Kagetenshi's logical error point doesn't even apply...do you really mean this?

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Existentialism is philosopy of personal responsibility. The Existiantialist can not blame anyone else for his actions.
The existentialist also can't blame anyone else for their actions, can they? That is, it is the fault of the wife who has the abusive husband, from her perspective?

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
An Existentalist has no one else to blame. If God appeared before me tomorrow, proved byond any possible doubt that he was the one and true God
Wait a minute. How does anyone, even God, prove anything beyond possible doubt to an Existentialist? Since the existence of a God that could somehow generate true proofs would overturn the underpinnings of Existentialism, I think that once you get to that stage with God, you'd better rethink your approach to interacting with Him.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The truth of which you refer is the truth of How. How is easy enough to deal with using empirical science if you begin form the Premise that your senses supply accurate information.
Accurate information about what, though? It certainly isn't accurate information about "reality" if you deny that there is a reality. If you accept both that there is a reality and that your senes supply accurate information about that reality, it seems as though the door is open for some absolute truths.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I do not lock the door, I simply say that absolute truth is irrevelant unless one percieves it with absolute certainly. Absolute certainty is required to differentiate absolute truth from lesser truths.
What do you mean by lesser truth? And what do you mean by absolute truth? Truth can vary in scope from being personal (true-only-for-me maybe-only-some-of-the-time) to universal (always-true-for-everyone), and in confidence from certainty to complete uncertainty. Which of these can you have in an Existentialist framework?

QUOTE (Cheops)
So the horrors aren't really the cullers of civilizations. They can be agents of it, helping to corrupt and twist the morals of the culture, but they can't outright destroy it.
Well, civilizations tend to die when you kill everyone in the civilization. Horrors are well-suited for such a task. Humans assimilate most of the time; complete destruction is rare (and usually accidental, via disease).

QUOTE (kagetenshi)
I fail to see what will be gained by doing so—not all Horrors possess all powers, and if we're going to consider a group evil or not evil based on powers that some possess, we may as well condemn Great Dragons for their cursed karma-esque power or metahumans for the ability to cast Agony.
I'm trying to assess whether horrors are, generally, evil. One of the hallmarks of human capability is the capacity to generate both pleasant and unpleasant outcomes; one can use both carrots and sticks to motivate others. My point is that horrors only have sticks and diseased carrots to work with (i.e. the benefit comes at a cost).

This is an argument in favor of them being intrinsically evil. Granted, this is from the perspective of an empathic being, but I'm not calling them Evil. I'm happy to call them lower-case-evil and recognize that the term loses its meaning once you generalize beyond sentient, wmpathic beings with senses of pleasure and pain.

Just to spell it out: on average, horrors have powerful capabilities to cause suffering and hamper people's actions, and none to cause a lack of suffering (except through careful use of their abilities to cause suffering to the right people).

QUOTE (kagetenshi)
Certainly those who take great pleasure in using [skin shift] when not necessary could be said to be malicious. On the other hand, possession of a tool does not equate to use of the tool
But the Horrors book is full of accounts of horrors using skin shift and many other powers in injurious ways. So we cannot excuse horrors in general by saying they don't use their powers to cause harm--they clearly do.

The best we can do for the Horrors is to speculate that maybe they're doing the minimum they need to to survive and are really caring for Name-Givers like farmers care for livestock--despite a lack of evidence that this is the case (and plenty of examples where you have to disbelieve Name-Giver accounts of maliciousness, or assume that this is necessary feeding behavior without real evidence that it is). If they are doing this, then perhaps calling them evil is too simplistic.

(Incidentally, this raises questions about how we should categorize the consumption of animals as food. I'm not going to address the question right now, except to say that I am not a vegetarian but am willing to pay more for food that has been treated well when alive.)
Critias
But terrified chicken tastes better!
Kagetenshi
I'm going to leave the rest of the discussion until I can form a cohesive statement, let alone a logical one, but while one may consider the consumption of animals by animals that can subsist on either animals or plants/plant derivatives alone to be potentially less than ethically desirable, considering animals whose diets consist essentially solely of other animals less than ethically desirable because they consume those animals is arguably a meaningfully less sensible belief.

The entire thing ignores the question of why the destruction of a plant for food is better than the destruction of an animal for food.

~J
mfb
existentialism can't concretely prove anything, including existentialism. recursively self-defeating philosophobabble: 0, common sense: 1.
Kagetenshi
mfb: 0. Missing the point, probably deliberately: 1.

Or, to use that common sense, disprove existentialism for me. All that requires is proving anything else, really, so it should be simple if the absence of proof is so damning to existentialism.

~J
mfb
the point you're trying to make doesn't matter on any scale that will possibly affect humanity as a whole, much less individual player-characters. ergo, the point really isn't worth addressing. you're making the definition of "evil" so specialized and arcane that it isn't even a word anymore--you're trying to leach all definition from it.

and what i said is still true. existentialism, taken to its logical conclusion, invalidates itself. it's a nice topic to discuss at 3am, but it's kinda useless in the real world. if you want an existential view of the horrors, here it is: they're trying to torture you to death. therefore, from your perspective, they're evil. that applies to every living metahuman that is, was, or will be. therefore, from the perspective of the entire metahuman race, horrors are evil. their perspective has no bearing on the issue, since for all you know, they don't even exist.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
the point you're trying to make doesn't matter on any scale that will possibly affect humanity as a whole, much less individual player-characters. ergo, the point really isn't worth addressing. you're making the definition of "evil" so specialized and arcane that it isn't even a word anymore--you're trying to leach all definition from it.

and what i said is still true. existentialism, taken to its logical conclusion, invalidates itself. it's a nice topic to discuss at 3am, but it's kinda useless in the real world. if you want an existential view of the horrors, here it is: they're trying to torture you to death. therefore, from your perspective, they're evil. that applies to every living metahuman that is, was, or will be. therefore, from the perspective of the entire metahuman race, horrors are evil. their perspective has no bearing on the issue, since for all you know, they don't even exist.

Incorrect, the Horrors are not trying to torture me to death. If they are, they are going about it in a very strange manner. Personally, I haven't noticed.
They generally ply their craft upon fictional characters in fictional universes.

For that matter, not all Horrors kill their victims. Take Chantrel's Horror, for example. It blesses its "friends" with eternal life. Yrsgrathe isn't too big on killing either. It has actually granted at least one person physical immortality and then left her alone to do whatever she pleased with it (granted, she wasn't given eternal youth - She didn't ask for eternal youth).

And really, there is nothing stopping any metahuman from Renaming him or her self into a being that is more akin to the Horrors.
Critias
You guys are right. Horrors are good guys. Earthdawn's a stupid game. They're not bad, they're just misunderstood.
Ellery
The problem with the form of existentialism as espoused here is that it leads inexorably to nihilism. Inasmuch as it is the job of philosophy to explain how it is that we know things, nihilism (and some flavors of existentialism) are abject failures, because despite our observation that people act as though they know things, and consequences of their actions obtain as if they know things, nihilism maintains that they actually don't know anything at all (and you don't know that they don't know anything at all).

At this point, one should become very suspicious that one has gotten lost playing word-games somewhere along the way--perhaps in our definition of knowledge, perhaps somewhere else--and has missed something crucially important.

My understanding is that the arguments used by prominent existentialists (e.g. Sarte) often assumed a disembodied, primitive consciousness distinct from the material world (Dualism). Using Dualism as a basis, one can get to interesting places philosophically, except for the small problem that Dualism appears to be empirically wrong. We continue to amass evidence that mind is a consequence of the physical state of the brain, which really rather ruins the nice separation between choice/self and perception/reality.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (mfb)
if you want an existential view of the horrors, here it is: they're trying to torture you to death
Incorrect, the Horrors are not trying to torture me to death. If they are, they are going about it in a very strange manner. Personally, I haven't noticed. They generally ply their craft upon fictional characters in fictional universes.
"You" can be used in an impersonal sense, including to refer to hypothetical characters in imaginary universes.

I.e., "If you see Ubyr, run!" means, "Characters in the fantasy universe of Earthdawn ought to run when they see Ubyr".

I.e., unless we're to believe hyzmarca is unfamiliar with the use of context and hypotheticals in the English language (despite apparent proficiency otherwise), he's trying to be humorous or otherwise not actually address mfb's point. I'm really not sure which is the case, given previous comments about "Horrors are not evil because I find it amusing to read about them." Such comments don't really make sense at all in the context of whether Horrors are evil (which is necessarily inside the fantasy universe in which Horrors exist, and which does not include hyzmarca as a reader of ED sourcebooks).
Grinder
QUOTE (Critias)
You guys are right. Horrors are good guys. Earthdawn's a stupid game. They're not bad, they're just misunderstood.

The truth can be so easy. rotfl.gif
Talia Invierno
TIGER, tiger, burning bright 
In the forests of the night, 
What immortal hand or eye 
Could frame thy fearful symmetry? 

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes? 
On what wings dare he aspire? 
What the hand dare seize the fire? 

And what shoulder and what art 
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, 
What dread hand and what dread feet? 

What the hammer? what the chain? 
In what furnace was thy brain? 
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp? 

When the stars threw down their spears, 
And water'd heaven with their tears, 
Did He smile His work to see? 
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright 
In the forests of the night, 
What immortal hand or eye 
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Crusher Bob
One of the reasons people might defend horror as, maybe not evil, is to avoid the neat mental pocket of a blanket classification. Once something is in the mental pocket of evil, it becomes ok to preform incredible acts of cruelty against it. Its ok to eat the Irish, its not like they are people.

Someone earlier in the said that the real 'horror' is not that the horror exist, but that some people choose to work with them. Once you classify something as other it can no longer be scary. Or more accurately, the real fear is that one might become other.

One of the reasons Lord of the Rings has probably worn so well it that is able to address the possibility of becomming other in a relatively 'safe' manner. Only those exposed to the ring(s) are at risk of becomming other, not the everyday people. However, it's made clear that it is not the rings that make you become the other, but something within yourself. Galadriel didn't see the ring and begin to desire it, she had desired it long before Frodo offered it to her.

This is the reason that I typically don't view Lovecraft as horror, there is never any temptation to become the other in the works. While the protaganists often go insane (thus, beccoming other), the reader never has the feeling that 'hmm, that could happen to me'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012