Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrors, Cycle of Magic and Immortal Elves...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Cynic project
QUOTE (Garland)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jun 22 2005, 11:58 AM)
Then what are the passions? Theya re not gods,or totems yes? As I recalled they were the closest thing to gods that ED/SR had, is that right?

My take on the Passions are that they're ideals that got strong enough that they became real, physical entities.

So basically totems.

Um I know they aren't Totems. For one, one can argue if totems are real or not. They do not anywhere fully state taht totems are real to anyone who is not shaman or a believer. Notice how the totems do not always act in the same way,. Not all dogs shamans are the same, nor how they interact with dog. Also totems give you power.. Or do they ? Notice how the elder ones think shamans are jokes?

Passions on the other hand are proveable. They have have real world powers. They don't make shamans, or anything like the. That is least what I understand.
Req
...and Passions can be broken / driven mad. Ristul for the win.
Garland
The Passions took "Questors" who had a certain range of powers granted to them based on the Passion's purview, so they had devoted followers who received special powers from them. The Passions also somewhat resemble some of the SR idols.

Yeah, they're not exactly totems, but ED isn't exactly SR. I'm just saying that it's a decent way to think about it in terms of what the Passions are: In the same way the Garlen exemplifies all motherly and maternal instincts, Dog exemplifies all the attributes traditionally ascribed to dogs.

I'd also like to point out that as the magic level gets higher, and more people believe in totems, they were well could become real entities (if they aren't already). But that's far-future in terms of the current SR magic level (and it's speculation on my part). As Cynic points out, the Passions literally did walk the earth/were physical beings. That's something that the SR totems/idols/etc. don't really do.

Edit: added last sentence
Ancient History
The arguement is moot at this point. Totems might be uber-powerful spirits, and are likely more. Passions might be uber-powerful spirits, and are likely more.

The only ones who could logically debate these matters are at least ten thousand years old and either have scales or pointy ears. The point is moot, since I bet you'll have a better chance of working directly for Lofwyr or Aina than the Spider Totem or Vestrial.
JesterX
QUOTE (toturi)
Saving the world may not be a normal shadowrun, but it can be still a shadowrun. Saving the world is the run. It is not the normal run of datasteal or extraction or wetwork but it is a run just the same. Along the way, they might get double-crossed by the Johnson, they get paid, they don't get to talk about it, the people they piss off might try to get back at them, etc.

Heroic fantasy can be part of SR. Unless you as the GM has closed your mind off to that type of game, SR can certainly support that sort of campaign.

Toturi is right... Just look at Assets Inc. mission in the DH trilogy....

That's exactly what you do when you fight against Blood Spirits... Toxic Shamans... Mad AI's... The Invae... Dr. Halberstam...
JesterX
Infos from Tir Tairngire Sourcebook about passions:

This info was taken elsewhere on the net:

Likewise, mention is made by some runner that some Druids in Tir Tairngire are shamans, but they follow Passions instead of totems (to which Harlequin replies "You're a dead man. I'll send flowers.").
Ancient History
Ah, from the mouths of babes...

Let us say, JesterX, that that is one interpretation of that particular bit of text in Tir Tairngire.
JesterX
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Let us say, JesterX, that that is one interpretation of that particular bit of text in Tir Tairngire.

I never owned Tir Tairngire sourcebook (shame on me!).

Can you paste the text here if you have it?
Stormdrake
Keep the Horrors and Immortal Elves. Have played several campaigns and they are just too much fun. Ok seriously Shadowrun is as much about magic as it is about cyberpunk. That is what gives it its rather unique draw. If you have magic, spirits, elementals and what not then what's the problem with including demon like super creatures? I mean on the flip side you have AI's and the deep resonance right? Include it all and leave it up to the individual Story Teller on what he or she wants to include or leave out.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ancient History)

I always took that to mean that it was an insulting misrepresentation to elves to suggest they were shamans that were following Passions like totems. Insulting to the point that they'd be motivated to snuff the speaker for making the suggestion.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Tir Tairngire @ p.69)

>>>>>[These shamans do not follow animal forms, or even symbolic personifications. They follow form. They follow truth. They follow Passion.]<<<<<
-Walker (09:48:40/4-10-54)

>>>>>[Heeheeheeheeheehheeheeheeheeheehee ehehe hee heh eheh eh heheh. Walker, I suspect you are a walking dead man. I'll send flowers.]<<<<<
-The Laughing Man (08:39:36/4-11-54)
JesterX
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 22 2005, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Tir Tairngire @  p.69)

>>>>>[These shamans do not follow animal forms, or even symbolic personifications. They follow form. They follow truth. They follow Passion.]<<<<<
-Walker (09:48:40/4-10-54)

>>>>>[Heeheeheeheeheehheeheeheeheeheehee ehehe hee heh eheh eh heheh. Walker, I suspect you are a walking dead man. I'll send flowers.]<<<<<
-The Laughing Man (08:39:36/4-11-54)

Hmmm you're right... That can be interpreted in various ways.

However, assuming that Harlequin is really speaking with Vestrial in "Voices from the Past". (No proof that this is Vestrial... Not even proofs that Harlequin isn't even speaking to himself!), that could mean that -H- really dislike passions (especially Vestrial...)

Anyway, the funny thing about Harlequin is that he is taking the name of a Commedia Dell'Arte italian theater character that personifies "The Trickery, Good Humor and Pranks" which were Vestrial's domain before becoming mad

fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (JesterX)

Anyway, the funny thing about Harlequin is that he is taking the name of a Commedia Dell'Arte italian theater character that personifies "The Trickery, Good Humor and Pranks" which were Vestrial's domain before becoming mad

coincidence? doubt it
Cheops
I have in previous posts to Dumpshock expressed how much I like the SR/ED connection. I personally love it. But if they are remarketing a new and redesigned game to attract new players I don't think including the connection is a good idea without expanding on it much more. My players and I have wasted several hours per campaign just trying to explain the extra metaplot that the new players were missing and were wondering what we were talking about.

I just think it is a very bad marketing idea to include as part of your product the contents of another product that is owned by a completely different company and which you have no control over. This is doubly apparent in my case when you take my negative comments about Living Room Games' treatment of ED and the glacialy slow production of Red Brick. When ED and SR were run by the same company it made sense--cross promotion, quality control and whatnot. However, it is dangerous and, I think, needless at this point to keep the connection going.

It's a new edition with completely new rules for a new market...why should previous connections still matter? You can easily let them fall to the background. In fact this is the best time. In my opinion it is unwise as a BUSINESS decision to do so...no matter how much fun the connection is.
Moonlight Song
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (Moonlight Song @ Jun 22 2005, 12:32 PM)
using the Mayan Calendar nor the fact that immortal elves exist in SR. After all, elves are supposed to be immortal in the very first place!

Elves at least pre-tolken elves were what most of use would call fairies. They had a wide range of looks and themes, few if any were remotely human looking, and fewer still were imortal.

I don't know where you're coming from here, but according to my cultural origins, you can consider me a celt and there I'll tell you that all the faery tales talking about elves I've heard since my childhood (and I'm not talking about Tolkien whom has - mostly - just combined many european legends and themes) make elves, faeries, and such, the closest thing to immortal things there is by being magical creatures (i.e. spirits) per essence.
Stormdrake
The official splat that went along with the announcment of 4th edition states that "Source material from previous editions will still be compatible". This would seem to indicate that while the rules underpinning how things are done will change, cannon on world history will not be changing but simply advanceing. This would mean that IM elves should still be present and while Horrors may not be included in the new books (much as they were not included in 3rd edition) they are not going to be expressly written against. Can't wait to get my hands on the book and see if that's true or not, lol.
Bandwidthoracle
Personally, I despise the horrors. Finding out about their existence was the one thing that made me want to give up on SR. I was worried enough about the bugs being extra-planar D&D look-alikes.

I kinda hope that the Harly turnes out to be crazy. The the immortal elves turn out to be clones or something else. It'd be realy neat if they presented some non-cyclical theories of magic too.

I can't put my finger on it, they just frustereated me. As far as I can tell from reading the books Shadowrun is Cyberpunk with magic (At least that's how we always played it), the horrors feel like fantasy with cyberware.
toturi
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
I can't put my finger on it, they just frustereated me. As far as I can tell from reading the books Shadowrun is Cyberpunk with magic (At least that's how we always played it), the horrors feel like fantasy with cyberware.

That's how I see it (and that is how we played it). More Fantasy with Cyberware than Cyberpunk with Magic.
mfb
eh. i don't see it. there aren't any good guys in SR; therefore, it's not really fantasy.
Bull
Speak for yourself MFB... wink.gif I've seen more than a few "good" characters in Shadowrun. But the nice thing about it is you can play whatever you want, good, bad, indifferent.

And for the last few years, FanPro's official stance has been to ignore the actual Earthdwan products. Yes, there's a 4th world that bears a striking resemblance to the Earthdawn setting. But FanPro isn't bound to the material. So if they want to introduce a Great Dragon that's been around for millions of years, but doesn't match up with ED, they'll just shrug and go "oh well".

And sure, they'll do things like what they did with Ghostwalker... throw in an never-quite-outright stated tie in... But you don;t have to be familiar with ED to use Ghostwalker. Any necessary info is given within the SR material. Anything else is just fluff for the hardcore junkies to go research.

So if LRG decides to kill off the dragon that becomes Ghostwalker... they're free to do so, and Fanpro won't try and retcon it, because they're not tied tgether at all.

Also as a note, this was something FASA had implemented prior to them shutting down.

Bull
mfb
well, sure, you can play 'em. but what i mean is, there's no overarching "good" group being threatened by evil. you've got the huge herds of normal people, who don't care about anything except their own self-absorbed happiness; you've got the greater masses of disaffected poor, who would kill their own families if it meant getting a good meal; you've got the corporate upper class, who see nothing but the bottom line; you've got the IEs and GDs, who see humanity as pawns on a giant chessboard; and you've got shadowrunners, who [see disaffected poor]. there's nobody for a crusading character to save--and there's no evil for a crusading character to strike down, which means crusaders have to be very careful not to become zealots.

what divides it for me, i think, is the fact that the archtypical shadowrun game revolves around people who commit crimes for money. that's not fantasy.
Bull
Ahh, I get you. Misread you the first time. I thought you meant "You can't play 'good' charcaters", which seemed a tad naive.

But yeah,. you're correct. There really isn't any sort of overarching "good" groups. EVen the closest we get, like Ares or Dunklezahn, usually have selfish and/or ulterior motives for everything they do.

Bull
Critias
Ares is close to an overarching "good guy" group?
mfb
eh, yeah. sorta. Firewatch is Ares. that doesn't make every Ares johnson an angel, but if you can say "Ares" does bad things, you can say "Ares" does good things.
fistandantilus4.0
Why Because they hunt bugs!?

THere's been notes about how the price of an Ares predator is below normal cost (aka street index) because one of their distributors basically flooded the market (streets with them) and the higher ups were pissed. Pissed of course, not becuase they were putting all their guns on the street, but because the price for them was going down because of supply and demand. Not very 'good guy-ish'. Tends to stick more with the usual 'bottom-line-ish'
mfb
right. like i said, though, if you can say that "Ares" is flooding the market with cheap firearms, you can also say that "Ares" has made major contributions to fighting bugs. you can also say that "Ares" is now experimenting with those bugs. it's hard to pin a megacorp down as good or bad; it's too complex an organism.

heh. same with GDs. dunk had a majority share in AZT for how long...?
fistandantilus4.0
exactly my point. Besides, with an entity the size of a corp, it's very difficult to assign it a set personality, because of it's vast size, and the number of personalities that go into it, even if it is driven by a fe wkey people (like Damien Knight).

It's a little different with a dragon or IE. I think for the most part, you could ascribe a more or less 'neutra alingment' to them. It would be hard not too. After living for thousands of years, it can be pretty much assumed that they've done it all. Been the hero, been the villian, just stood aside and let things happen. It would be difficult to have the same way of approaching things over so many years.

Like Harlequin, damn is he messed up. Always struck me as the sort that was just fed up with it all, and just about done with the idea of being alive, but not willing to end it. He seems the type that would have kild in cold blood and done horrible things at some point in his very long life, and nearly sacrificed all to save another, done great deeds, and also spent endless years just sitting by. And now is jsut caught in the absurdity of it all, has a very difficult time attaching to anything not as permanent as he is, because after so long, what's the point anymore?

Dragon's much the same. Hard to say anything can be 'good' when you can be 'entree' to it. And dozens of others just like you probably have been at some point. Not too mention that they seem to have a natural tendancy and ability towards manipulation, and superior intellects to most around them .
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 24 2005, 01:45 AM)
heh. same with GDs. dunk had a majority share in AZT for how long...?

But it was always left out there floating as to why he had those shares. That it was likely a covert operation to keep an eye on them. Which is i think why i was uneasy with Dunk in SR. Then came his operatic death/rebirth that even further struck an odd cord for me. He was a [mostly] fantasy character in a non-fastasy setting.
DrJest
Like Harlequin, damn is he messed up. Always struck me as the sort that was just fed up with it all, and just about done with the idea of being alive, but not willing to end it. He seems the type that would have kild in cold blood and done horrible things at some point in his very long life, and nearly sacrificed all to save another, done great deeds, and also spent endless years just sitting by. And now is jsut caught in the absurdity of it all, has a very difficult time attaching to anything not as permanent as he is, because after so long, what's the point anymore?

I always saw Harlequin as the fallen paladin/failed jedi, the one who - after the downturn in magic and the destruction of everything he knew and loved - basically said "screw it" and went out to make his own way in the world. And yes, he's almost certainly done some terrible things since then, and some great things also. Now the magic is back, and so is the threat from the horrors and the bugs and all the rest of it, and his conscience is starting to prick him. He doesn't want to be a hero; but the world may not give him a choice.
Cynic project
Why bring up jedi?I mean really they aren't anywhere close to heroes. They can't have emotions. That is noting like what I see the laughing man is or ever was.

Ares is a good AAA, if for no other reason than Aztlan is around.
tisoz
I remember, back before the bugs, how the Universal Brotherhood seemed like the only bright spot in a selfish world.
Cheops
That's how good and bad is supposed to be in SR--relative. Ares is good because Aztechnology is so bad and the two are opposed through their proxies. Shadowrunners are good because they are living a lifestyle that is outside of normal society which they see as wrong. Normal society is good because they have come together in a way that makes everyone comfortable with the rules. Neo anarchists see nothing wrong with capitalism just with the oligopoly created by the megacorporations. The corporations are right because they provide services and goods that people want and buy. The awakened are good because they are more in touch with all aspects of the world. The mundane are good because they can survive without the need for awakened powers. The amerind lifestyle is good because (for most tribes) they live in harmony with nature and magic. The other north american countries are good because they provide a decent standard of living for their citizens (on average) and allow for progress.

SR is not clearly devided into what is right and wrong. Fantasy is. Period. Frodo et al were good and Sauron was bad. Period. Lord Soth is evil and the Companions (or whoever) are good. Period. The Dark Side is evil and the Jedi are good. Period.

None of the aforementioned bad guys are misunderstood or misguided (except for a few cases for dramatic purposes i.e. Darth Vader/Anakin). None of the aforementioned good guys are unjustified in their causes (except that they don't always go about it in the most efficient or equitable manner for dramatic purposes). There is light and dark. White and Black. Good and Bad. That is fantasy.

SR is not fantasy. It is a massive grey area. The horrors are unmistakably evil and stopping them is good. It worked in ED which was a FANTASY setting but it doesn't fit well in SR. Sure the sevants of horrors were probably misguided in ED but that didn't stop the good guys from hacking them to pieces unless given another alternative. In SR someone who is helping and being helped by the horrors is more murky because the definition of good and evil is relative and subjective to the individual percieving the actions/results.

Unless of course you decide to play fantasy style in which case don't feel guilty for blowing away that corp stooge who has a wife and two kids and a family that loves him/her and depends on the income stream. Feel free to blow up buildings and commit various acts of terror without any guilty feeling because you are fully justified within the black and white setting your group has set up.
DrJest
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Why bring up jedi?I mean really they aren't anywhere close to heroes. They can't have emotions. That is noting like what I see the laughing man is or ever was.

Just to digress slightly - to be quite specific, Jedi are supposed to refrain from allowing their emotions to govern their actions. They're quite capable of having them. It's okay for a jedi to feel love, happiness, even anger - it's when they act on those emotions alone that their stability within the Force is compromised ("I killed them. I killed them all". Which for some reason seems to cement Amidala's affection for the spoiled, egotistical arrogant little turd. Go figure).

The "failed jedi" reference, however, was very specifically referring to the archetype from the old (and imho superior, but that's a different kettle of fish) WEG system, and I apologise that the reference was too obscure.
Critias
You can only be idealistic for so long. Most people burn out after 2, maybe 3, years. Harley managed it, by all accounts, for a couple millenia. That's not too shabby, all things considered.
DrJest
QUOTE (Critias)
You can only be idealistic for so long. Most people burn out after 2, maybe 3, years. Harley managed it, by all accounts, for a couple millenia. That's not too shabby, all things considered.

Burned out, that's exactly the phrase I was looking for. It's almost a stereotype of pulp literature; the burned out hero who doesn't want to be a hero any more, but whom the world simply will not allow to roll over and give up.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Il Club Dumas)

OMNES VULNERANT, POSTUMA NECAT.
They all wound, he read. The last one kills.

...all of Corso's heroes were tired.

He likes horses and wine, and he's the most optimistic person I know. he's still hoping to get back to heaven.

Talia Invierno
SR is not clearly devided into what is right and wrong. Fantasy is. Period. Frodo et al were good and Sauron was bad. Period. Lord Soth is evil and the Companions (or whoever) are good. Period. The Dark Side is evil and the Jedi are good. Period.
- Cheops

Er -- what? Fantasy is no more inherently moralistic than any genre. Inherently mythic, definitely: but inherently black/white good/evil, no. The examples given are all examples of Christianised fantasy -- Tolkein is considered one of the great Christian commentators of the 20th C, and LotR is commonly interpreted as a Christian fantasy -- and yes, Lucas too: try comparing his work to actual Zen or Tao, and you quickly run into problems precisely because of this attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole. But there are traditions in fantasy other than the Christian. Ever read Mary Stewart's or Marion Zimmer Bradley's take on the Arthur legends? (Edit to add a few more non-black/white fantasy authors -- Ursula K Leguin, Barbara Hambly, Peter Beagle, Orson Scott Card, Michael Moorcock, Lord Dunsany ... heck, most fantasy touching on the essence of elves/underworld/otherworlds.)

Edit: Dr Jest has already covered what I would have said re Jedi. Call it the difference between acting with passion and acting from passion: do you control your actions, or do your emotions?
Cynic project
And the religions have morals down square. That is why no christian ever does anything bad. 'Cause they know better. Morals and religion are not the same thing. Not even close. You dopn't need one with the toehr,and some times they go better wtihout each other. By the way, most Christian stories are basicly remixes or covers of stories that came before them. Most of those relions were by no means moral. At least moral in anyway close to what we would call it.

No this not saying that the Cult of Jesus is a bad thing. It is saying that they don't own the highest ground on the moral subject. That does the same for any religion. Hell, that goes for evry gruop of people or ideals. I called Christiany the Cult of Jesus, but one should be treated as one treats others.
Halabis
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

Funny, I always figured shadowrun as Fantasy with cyberpunk elements.

Perhaps it is neither fantasy nor cyberpunk, but both. It has elements of both and I dont think we should be upset over the presence of one or the other, because it is both of them that make SR what I love.
DrJest
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Ever read Mary Stewart's or Marion Zimmer Bradley's take on the Arthur legends? (Edit to add a few more non-black/white fantasy authors -- Ursula K Leguin, Barbara Hambly, Peter Beagle, Orson Scott Card, Michael Moorcock, Lord Dunsany

Good Lord, someone quoting an author list I've read almost all of for a change smile.gif Hey Talia, you know they're re-filming Beagle's Last Unicorn?
Not of this World
The Immortal Elves should be kept. They're part of the basic history of SR from before ED, Horrors, etc. Immortal Elves were part of the original Secrets of Power Trilogy and the original Harlequin campaign book before any of that was added.

IEs make excellent masterminds. Immortal, Sinister... and they are because they're immortal but not all powerful (Something Great Dragons annoy me for). IEs have powerful magic (too powerful under SR2.. luckily toned down) but physically are just like you and me.

I hope they're kept and brought closer to traditional folklore for the Fae, Tuatha de Danann and legends that inspired them. The horrors and ED connections should remain entirely optional.
Kagetenshi
That was one thing I wasn't fond of Dragons of the Sixth World for—namely, strongly implying that one of the Great Dragons (I forget the name) who was by previous canon killed by a German border patrol, had actually survived. The death of a comparatively unprepared Great to a band of properly-armed folk had previously been a wonderful lesson in "no one lives forever", but that appears to have been pretty much cast aside.

~J
Synner
As far as we know Feuerschwinge was shot down and killed by German army attack copters. However she was slightly insane and wounded already.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 24 2005, 12:51 AM)
well, sure, you can play 'em. but what i mean is, there's no overarching "good" group being threatened by evil. you've got the huge herds of normal people, who don't care about anything except their own self-absorbed happiness; you've got the greater masses of disaffected poor, who would kill their own families if it meant getting a good meal; you've got the corporate upper class, who see nothing but the bottom line; you've got the IEs and GDs, who see humanity as pawns on a giant chessboard; and you've got shadowrunners, who [see disaffected poor]. there's nobody for a crusading character to save--and there's no evil for a crusading character to strike down, which means crusaders have to be very careful not to become zealots.

what divides it for me, i think, is the fact that the archtypical shadowrun game revolves around people who commit crimes for money. that's not fantasy.

But you don't need an overarching "Good" group being threatened by evil. You just need one person.

Saving an impoverished single mother from being ravaged by a gang as she tried to take groceries home to her kids is a great low-level heroic encounter in SR.

Saving an impoverished single mother from being ravaged by brigands as she tries to take groceries home to her children is a great low-level heroic encounter in D&D.

By the same token, ravaging an impoverished single mother as she tries to take groceries home to her children is a great low-level evil encounter in both systems.

And how is committing crimes for money not fantasy? The standard dungeon crawl is essentially an elaborate B&E job. Lets not forget the whole thief class and stories that revolve around the profession.

Frito the Thief and Goben that Barbarian are hired by a mysterious man to break into a vampire's mansion and steal random Ubermagic Artifact #127. Of course, they take the job. That they can keep anything they find that is not Ubermagic Artifact #127 is implied in the agreement.

A Mysterious Johnson hires Fritz the Covert Op and Gill the Sammie to break into a vampire's mansion and steal random Ubermagic Artifact #17. Of course, they take the job. That they can loot anything that is not Ubermagic Artifact #17 is implied in the agreement.

How are these scenarios different? Other than the fact that one is a D&D scenario and the other is an SR scenario I see little distinction.

Heck, one could easily compare extraterritorial facilities to sovereign castle-states.

Want to inject a moral dilemma into the most epic high fantasy? Here is a good one. The party spends the entire campaign tracking down an "evil" wizard who wants to destroy the world.

Along the way they learn that Buddha was right. Existence is suffering. The Wizard they are tracking came to understand this and sought a way to end suffering for good. So, he found a magic ritual that would destroy the world but allow all souls to ascend to a Nirvana-like oneness with the universe.

The Party can choose to complete the ritual and be the worst mass-murders in history, taking away the joys of existence as well as the suffering. Or, the can choose to kill the Wizard and destroy his knowledge along with him, dooming all souls to a never-ending cycle of suffering and reincarnation.

Of course, there is a difference between high-fantasy and sword and sorcery. Most, if not all, high-fantasy is sword and sorcery. However, not all sword and sorcery is high fantasy.

Sword and sorcery can easily have dirt and grit. It can easily have moral dilemmas. It can have the good guys lose and the bad guys win and not be an over-the-top evil campaign. Sword and Sorcery can have rival nations fighting each other for the reasons that real nations fight each other.

Look at the Iliad. It is a fantasy story. It has people with swords killing each other. It has nigh-invincible demi-god. It has deities butting in at every turn.

Troy isn't the slightest bit evil. If anything, It is more noble that the Achaeans' Alliance.

Look at Achilles. He is a Mercenary with a Vindictive flaw the size of Wisconsin and about a million points worth of Combat Monster. He refuses to fight throughout most of the story because his Johnson screwed him out of his slave girl. He finally takes to the battlefield because of his anger over he death of his friend. He slaughters the Trojans left and right and he goes so far as to desecrate their bodies to make their afterlives more unpleasant.

Of course, Achilles doesn't have to be perfect because Troy isn't a story about the triumph is good or righteousness. It is about human triumph, which is what good SR games should be about, as well. Achilles dies before the war is over but, despite his flaws, he succeeded in redefining "Good" and "righteousness" for future generations.
His story as told by Homer marks a turning point in the whole of Western civilization. It is at this point that the Heroic Code (Kill or be killed in glorious battle -blah, blah, blah) begins to slowly decline in favor of intellectual humanism.

Perhaps, centuries in the future, the story of how some runner overcame his Vindictive flaw will inspire a new way of thought just as with Achilles.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with mass-murdering super-powered runners either. It depends on your taste.

More epic sourcebooks are produced than low-level sourcebooks are produced because epic sells. Anyone can throw together a band of thugs for your weak characters to take on. In any game world there are millions of them. After a while they all start to blur together. The epic metaplot stories, that is what makes the world stand it. That is what makes the reality distinctive. That is what most people pay for.

--------

I would disagree that the Horrors are fantasy. The Horrors are Horror. Like all good monsters they are forces of nature. Morality doesn't really apply to them any more than it would to a wild Lion or an Earthquake. Of course, one doesn't have any pity for an Earthquake and most people would stop them if it were in their power. However, it isn't in anyone's power, not really. That is what makes them so scary.

I don't think bringing the Horrors through is the best idea. Surviving Horror Construct, on the other hand, are nice to have around. For pure creepiness value one could use that woman who was granted immortality but not eternal youth. She must be very bitter by now.

For the scary ubbermonsters nothing beats Verjigorm's pet dragons. Many would have been killed in the fourth world, more still would have been slain by downcycle hunting. However, a few Adults would have survived - and maybe a Great or two.

Have the runners be hired by a mysterious Johnson to guard the lair of a dragon who has not yet awaken from slumber. The Johnson speaks of a benefactor who wants the dragon to be in his debt and knows that there will be hunters after the sleeping beast to chop up for telesma.

The pay is high and a hefty bonus will be paid for every hunter killed.

The runners will have a tough time beating back the hunters, who turn out of be working for the Draco Foundation if anyone checks.

After beating back or killed the hunters, the Dragon awakens and appears before the PC's eyes. It is a horrific beast with seven glowing eyes and seven tattered wings. Its scales are a mottles mix of hues so foul that none are recognizable from rainbow or palate save a few specks of puke green. Every inch of it's massive body drips nauseating icor.

It chows down on some hunters or their corpses and then takes to the sky.
It vanishes after that. It makes its aura as best as it can and attempts to blend in as a human. It lays low as it gathers a ritual group of the power-hungry and the foolish - A renaming group.

Suddenly, "Seattle" becomes "Stinking vomit-soaked pile of dung-stuffed skunk corpses" with the aesthetics to match (Not that there would be a noticeable difference).

An entire campaign could center around killing this Corrupted Great Dragon. It is a big task, almost epic. But, it is an assassination mission at heart. No threat from other Horrors, just from this monstrosity.

For something less extreme those Obsidimen who were consumed by Ristul at the point where it physically entered the world could begin to wake up.

Edited for spelling
Critias
*sniffle*
Ancient History
Sorry, I broke down at "neigh-invincible demi-god." rotfl.gif
mfb
i'm not saying you can't easily throw out variations on standard fantasy or standard cyberpunk. i'm saying that cyberpunk and fantasy, as overarching genres, have themes that are standard for those genres, and that any variations on them are variations. the standard fantasy story is about good guys fighting bad guys. does that mean every fantasy story has to have clearly-delineated good guys and bad guys? no. but it means that a fantasy story which lacks those can be considered non-standard.
Kremlin KOA
Guys, forgive that person's spelling... he has a point.

Also if Fantasy is good v evil.... ED is not fantasy

In way of the Adept (a lovely Earthdawn sourcebook) has in the Nethermancer section the idea that (meta)humanity is significantly more evil than the horrors... after all They must create suffering to survive, while we do it for fun and profit.
fistandantilus4.0
Yes but with the horrors it's universal. Not so with metahumanity/namegivers. Sure everyone does bad stuff occasionally, but certainly the majority don't do what would qualify as "create[ing] suffering". But one of the things I do definitely like about ED in general, and of course SR, is the lack of anything like alingment. Even the Lightbearers don't really have any code about helping 'damsels in distress' and all that crap. It's more subjective, like real life. Gray areas. Makes it much more interesting.
Critias
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
Guys, forgive that person's spelling... he has a point.

Also if Fantasy is good v evil.... ED is not fantasy

In way of the Adept (a lovely Earthdawn sourcebook) has in the Nethermancer section the idea that (meta)humanity is significantly more evil than the horrors... after all They must create suffering to survive, while we do it for fun and profit.

Way to pay attention.

the standard fantasy story is about good guys fighting bad guys. does that mean every fantasy story has to have clearly-delineated good guys and bad guys? no. but it means that a fantasy story which lacks those can be considered non-standard.

Now, if you really think Earthdawn is "standard fantasy," you just don't know what you're talking about. Is it fantasy? Yes. Is it any sort of default fantasy setting? Not by a longshot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012