Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner Havens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Synner
QUOTE (JongWK)
I especially like Buenos Aires. Great chapter.

nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (JongWK)
Metropole - One of the worlds largest cities set against the largest jungles rules by great dragons

Small correction: with 200 million inhabitants, Metropole is the largest city in the world. Period.

Thought it was 20 millions?
hermit
Typo.
Wireknight
I thought that the Aztlan Sourcebook had the population of Technochtitlan (formerly Mexico City) hovering somewhere in the thirty-five million range.
Synner
The correct population for Metropole (the Rio-São Paulo sprawl) includes 80+ percent of the Amazonian population (which btw includes non-metahuman citizens) and should have been 200 million. There was a typo in SSG.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Wireknight)
I thought that the Aztlan Sourcebook had the population of Technochtitlan (formerly Mexico City) hovering somewhere in the thirty-five million range.

Didn't have time to skim the full chapter, but the Vital Statistics in the Tenochtitlan chapter says 17,766,900.
Wireknight
Hmm, you are correct. It does specifically mention that the official number doesn't include the SINless, though it's unclear how large a percentage of the actual population is SINless. Based on modern-day poverty levels in Mexico City, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that number exceeds 2.3 million residents.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, that's possible, but I assume most population numbers don't include SINless.
Zen Shooter01
QUOTE (Adam)
Setting books have been released before the advanced rulebooks in every edition of Shadowrun.

So no, I'd say it would be "perfectly normal."

Oh, and there's more setting material in SR4 than in any previous edition of Shadowrun.

I think it's weird that more settings are being prioritized over more character options when there's no lack of setting material (SoNA, SoE, and soon SoA and the material in the SR4 BBB that you mention), but the number of character options in the early days of SR4 will be sharply limited. They will be limited for the perfectly good reason that there's only so much space in the BBB - but I still expected Fan Pro would want to address that issue by releasing STREET MAGIC, AUGMENTATION, ARSENAL, and UNWIRED ASAP.

I do like what I'm hearing about the planned setting books, though -- more local, more street, instead of the sweeping view of things the So books give.
Shadow
UCAS

Seattle
San Fran
Denver
Chicago
New York
Miami

Rest of World
London
Paris
Rome
Hong Kong
Beirut
Cape Town
Moscow
Vladivostok
Whatever Mexico City is now
Arz
To continue on cities I'd like to see most would be located in areas not already covered.

Hong Kong
Tokyo
Malaysia - Pick a city, any city
Cairo
Cape Town

I have a real preference for coastal cities.
Bull
One reason is that, as far as I know, there is no setting information in the Core book anymore. And since one of the reasons for SR4 is to bring in new players, it makes a lot of sense to get a "setting" book out ASAP to give them something to work with. And since so much earlier material assumes Seattle as the default setting, it makes sense that Seattle would be one of the two initial settings.

Bull
Grinder
QUOTE (Synner)
The correct population for Metropole (the Rio-São Paulo sprawl) includes 80+ percent of the Amazonian population (which btw includes non-metahuman citizens) and should have been 200 million. There was a typo in SSG.

Wow.... thanks for giving me this info - i'll start a new campaign in Metropole tomorrow and it makes a difference if the sprawl is presentend as a huge one or a gigantic huge one.

200 Millions. Wow.

Synner
Just remember that the figure includes several million non-meta citizens.
Grinder
That doesn't make a big dfference in the dimension this sprawl has. I mean, if there are 200 millions or "only" 190 millions metahumans living, this sprawl is simply gigantic.

As i'm still half asleep: non-meta citizens? spritits and the whole critters-stuff like wnedigos, sasquetches and feathered serpents? Or am i missing sth.?
hermit
I guess more along the lines of free spirits (teehee, wonder if they put the Iara into SoLA) and werebeings (like the dolphin shifter that's quite popular in Brasilian myth - and again, I wonder if they put their favourite pastime in), and maybe even bugs and associated creatures (I at least made the Mapinguari out to be something that lives symbiotically in certain bug hives).

Damn you that SoLA has been discontinued. I'd love to finally have a list for Amazonian critters, as I like to send my runners down there every once in a while. One even brought back a new pet. ^_^
Grinder
Free spirits and shifters, yeah! smile.gif
hermit
I can PM you some homecooked critters I made up for my Amazonian adventures, if you want to. Based mainly on a Brasilian site about indigenous legends and myths.
Grinder
That would be nice. Are there some who may live in Metropole? I plan to let my players stay in the city for the first runs, so i needed some urban critters besides devil rats & ghouls. wink.gif

In which book was this flesh-eating tree?
hermit
*laa-dee-daa*

fucking double posts.
hermit
Iara might venture there, Dolphin shifters for sure, and any critter you find suitable in PAoNA and Critters (I have a list of those I found suitable for Amazonia, too). Most are jungle-based, though.

I'll send the PM now.

The Sange del Diabolo was in Year of the Comet. It also mentioned the Sangre del Drago, which isn't flesh-eating and has healing powers.
JongWK
"Sangre del Diablo" (literally: Blood of the Devil)

"Sangre del Drago" --- should be "Sangre del Dragón" (Blood of the Dragon... if you want Portuguese it should be Dragao, but I'm sure Synner can fill you in)
hermit
Ok, Dragao it is then. Amazonia still speaks Portuguese, I guess? Or something anchient and nonhuman ...
JongWK
"Sangre do Dragao" (portuguese)
"Sangre del Dragón" (spanish)
Da-som
Sorry, double post...
Da-som
Mmh... I want to see :
Europe :
- Paris (not enought stuff in SoA)
- Kiev (Possibly a great place)
- Brussel (too)

Asia :
- Shanghai or Beijing (Must be good)
- Seoul (So many things, with PPG and Japan, technophilia and tradition...)
- Saigon (Or another southeast asian city, to provide another kind of cities)

America :
- Toronto
- Chicago (after bug city)
- LA or SF (What's the situation now ?)
- A south american city (same as Saigon)

I don't want to see :

- Neo Tokyo
- Hong-Kong (surely well describe in SoA...)
- Berlin
Grinder
QUOTE (hermit)
I'll send the PM now.

Yep, received it, thanks. Hope you received my reply as well, had some error messages when sending it?

flesh-eating trees are good. "Feed me! Feeeeeed me!" biggrin.gif
Cynic project
San Fran is great city but it is not the biggest city within an hour drive of it.

I really think San Jose would be much better. Much more corporate, and cut throat. Not to mention it is bigger than San Fran now, has been for years. San Fran just has the history behind it. I don't think it would matter as much as it does in 2070's. After all Seattle ....
Penta
Cities I want to see:

New York (and, actually, the whole tristate area, to be honest...The way it was done in NAGNA was just plain wrong.)

Bogota

Cyprus (it's small enough...)

Honolulu
hermit
Cyprus lacks the city part, though. Malta, maybe, if you want an island city, but Cyprus?
Penta
Cyprus has the neat divided insanity whilst being close enough to European Insanity and the Middle East (which needs no introduction) to bring in all of that, too.
hermit
Okay, I give you that. But the place is also damn rural. Not a perfect SR setting, if you ask me ... sarcastic.gif
langolas
Has anythign like Alexandria or Cairo been printed yet? I did a whole lot of research and had an egyptian section on my webpage a long time ago, but haven't really looked into it since I moved to TX.
tisoz
QUOTE (Cynic project)
San Fran is great city but it is not the biggest city within an hour drive of it.

I really think San Jose would be much better. Much more corporate, and cut throat. Not to mention it is bigger than San Fran now, has been for years. San Fran just has the history behind it. I don't think it would matter as much as it does in 2070's. After all Seattle ....

The San Fran sprawl would likely incorporate San Jose, and a dozen others. SF has name recognition that San Jose lacks. I was surprised when Time did a millenium issue and stated San Francisco was the leading city in the world in 1900.
fistandantilus4.0
I dunno about that. I lived in SJ for years, and the area around it (Milpitas, Sunnyvale) always had a very different feel to it than SF. You're right though, it would make an excellent corp town/sprawl. Seems like the kind of place that the corps would set up for their think tanks and breakfast communities, with a butt load of low profile security. Ares controls the area mainly, don't they?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hermit)
Cyprus lacks the city part, though. Malta, maybe, if you want an island city, but Cyprus?

Ah just give it back to the Hospitallers/SMOM. smile.gif

QUOTE (Penta)
Cyprus has the neat divided insanity whilst being close enough to European Insanity and the Middle East (which needs no introduction) to bring in all of that, too.

Possibly, but I can't really see the divide lasting past the Alliance for Allah's invasions of the Balkans and southern Spain. Either one side or the other would build up enough force to push the other out IMO.
tisoz
You lived there how long? I hope you know where it is. wink.gif I travel quite a bit, but until a few years ago, I would need to look at a map to know where San Jose is. Not so with San Fran, and probably true for the majority of people outside the area in question. For example, Shadowland magazine did a multi part write-up about the something, something-Murfreesboro sprawl (or something like that). Who knows what or where they are talking about? If they had said the Nashville sprawl, at least most people would have known they were talking about Tennessee.

As far as that is concerned, if someone just mentioned San Jose, would people know they were talking about California? San francisco, I would say definitely.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 9 2005, 06:56 PM)
As far as that is concerned, if someone just mentioned San Jose, would people know they were talking about California?  San francisco, I would say definitely.

no, probably not. But Silicon Valley is pretty recognizable.

I lived in San Jose for 4 years, and the bay area for 16 more (not in that order ,if that makes sense), My work took me to 'The City' pretty regularly. They have very different feels. And the geography isolates SF pretty well. SF is a good 45 minute drive from San Jose up 101 through a half dozen different cities like Palo Alto that would mesh with San Jose a lot better. Hell most people can't even tell when they go from one ity to the next. It's already practically a sprawl (evidenced the by "Stop the Sprawl" signs I used to see occasionally).
Cynic project
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jul 9 2005, 11:50 AM)
San Fran is  great city but it is not the biggest city within an hour drive of it. 

I really think San Jose would be much better. Much more corporate, and cut throat. Not to mention it is bigger than San Fran now, has been for years.  San Fran just has the history behind it. I don't think it would matter as much as it does in 2070's. After all Seattle ....

The San Fran sprawl would likely incorporate San Jose, and a dozen others. SF has name recognition that San Jose lacks. I was surprised when Time did a millenium issue and stated San Francisco was the leading city in the world in 1900.

Silicon valley, anyone? Cuse that's San Jose.

San Fran phsycally can't grow, and is shirking at rather high rate. In about 30 years it will be as small as Seattle. At numbers of people. But the point still remains that San Jose is way more corp like,and most likely darker and meaner.

FrostyNSO
What about Mexico City?
FlakJacket
Tenochtitlán? Depends. I haven't read Aztlan sourcebook in ages, but wasn't it and most of the country pretty much Aztechnology-land and fairly hard to operate in? If it's just going to be another pre-Rinelle Tir/quake Japan then I don't think it would really add much. Although it might make a good opportunity for a little creative rewriting/reinterpretation. wink.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Silicon valley, anyone? Cuse that's San Jose.

San Fran phsycally can't grow, and is shirking at rather high rate. In about 30 years it will be as small as Seattle. At numbers of people. But the point still remains that San Jose is way more corp like,and most likely darker and meaner.

I agree. Silcon valley most people realize is California. Exactly where in California, they may not know. They get directions as "south of San Francisco Bay." This implies people are familiar with where SF and the bay are.

Napa valley is similar. Most people realize it's in California. But exactly where? Near San Diego, near LA, central California, northern California?

I am not knocking the relative power or importance or whatever of San Jose, just name recognition.

If I am going to San Jose on business, and I let friends and family know, they are likely to ask where that is. If I say San Fran, they know.
Cynic project
And will it be that way in 60 odd years?
apollo124
Seattle (tradition)
Chicago (like someone else said, never been really certain the Bugs were gone)
Denver (anyone who can kick out the Azzies is someone to keep an eye on)
Tokyo (anybody want to know how the kid Emperor is doing?)
Berlin (Anarchy and Chaos are fun!)
Jerusalem (those wacky Arabs must be up to something exciting)

I would presume that Amazonia would be covered in the (hopefully eventual) release of SoLA.

FlakJacket
QUOTE (apollo124)

Well since it's being run by an Ecumenical Council backed up by 40,000 UN troops not much would be my guess.
apollo124
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (apollo124 @ Jul 11 2005, 02:10 AM)

Well since it's being run by an Ecumenical Council backed up by 40,000 UN troops not much would be my guess.

My bad. Only city in that part of the world that came to mind. Replace that with Istanbul/Constantinople. I think that would work.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Cheops)
The only problem with adding Japan as a setting is that it would be hard to run a group there unless it contains no metahumans. Here's my wish list:

Seattle
Denver
Metropole
Calcutta
Constantinople
Lisbon

I really like your list, to the point I don't need to add one of my own!
For what it matters you have my seal of approval smile.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (apollo124)
My bad. Only city in that part of the world that came to mind.  Replace that with Istanbul/Constantinople. I think that would work.

Sorry of it came over a little harsh. The whole bit about the council only got introduced in Loose Alliances so I doubt many people have read about it yet.
Kagetenshi
To come in late to the party, my list:

Seattle
Hong Kong
Tokyo
Vladivostok
Paris
Sydney
Johannesburg
Dublin

Though my true desired list of "primary settings" reads something more like the following:

Seattle
Seattle
Seattle
Seattle
Seattle
Seattle
Denver

~J
apollo124
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

Sorry of it came over a little harsh. The whole bit about the council only got introduced in Loose Alliances so I doubt many people have read about it yet.

No sweat. Just make sure to dodge all those bullets coming your way. And you may want to have someone else start your car tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012