Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware and SR4 characters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mmu1
Don't trouble yourself with these complicated questions, just believe. wink.gif
mintcar
Unless thereīs something in the fluff that justifies technomancers not needing a device, that might be one thing I do change. It seems to me that itīs just cooler if they have to have a commlink, but it doesnīt really matter how good. Just that they deal with real physical technology and just not airwaves would justify their name more, I think.
Sabosect
Defeats the flavor. Technomancers are always billed as people so in tune with technology they seem to do magic with it. Thus, why the "mancer" part of the name.
mmu1
The big issue will actually be whether there are enough mechanical differences between a technomancer and a standard decker to justify their existence.

If - as they seem to have done with a lot of things, like magic - they made the rules very generic and the only difference will be a bit of flavor text, then technomancers are pointless Neo-clones, and screw with the magic/tech dichotomy for no good reason.
Nikoli
Ya know, I just looked at the blank Char sheet.
By all that is holy I dispise that thing.
There is a reason why professional form builders, when they use section names, put them at the TOP of the section when creating it for a primarily top to bottom, left to right reading audience.
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1)
The big issue will actually be whether there are enough mechanical differences between a technomancer and a standard decker to justify their existence.

If - as they seem to have done with a lot of things, like magic - they made the rules very generic and the only difference will be a bit of flavor text, then technomancers are pointless Neo-clones, and screw with the magic/tech dichotomy for no good reason.

I think the area of Sprites might be a place to look.
mintcar
Yeah. Maybe Im just not understanding the full impact of the "overlayed reality". Technomancers will be such because they can look at a toaster and command it, without any aids. I guess the explenation is that all technology is now so complex and communicative that the human mind can interface with it by thought alone.
Sabosect
Actually, I think it's the melding they have been attempting for quite awhile. Ever since the book Never Deal With a Dragon, I've seen several minor signs that SR is moving in a direction that has magic and technology start to meld. It has to happen sometime.

In any case, this may actually be a type of mage, one whose power works in the unusual way in that it interacts directly with technology. Or, these people could be the result of Deus's Arcology experiments.
mintcar
Nikoli: Use my character sheet instead
mmu1
QUOTE (mintcar)
Yeah. Maybe Im just not understanding the full impact of the "overlayed reality". Technomancers will be such because they can look at a toaster and command it, without any aids. I guess the explenation is that all technology is now so complex and communicative that the human mind can interface with it by thought alone.

Which - given what little we've heard so far about sprites - just makes technomancers seem like magicians that can only affect things with a Matrix connection.

Which would make the whole archetype feel like a class from a cyberpunk MMORPG - you're a magician with your serial numbers filed off, your spells are called programs, your summoned monsters are sprites...
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
Found the info on Technomancers, page 232. They need no cyber or electronics at all.

Ick. *sigh* Well their ingame fiction has always sort of left that door open. Still not the path i would have taken.

I wonder if putting them under the knife now will screw with their Resonance?
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Actually, I think it's the melding they have been attempting for quite awhile. Ever since the book Never Deal With a Dragon, I've seen several minor signs that SR is moving in a direction that has magic and technology start to meld. It has to happen sometime.

In any case, this may actually be a type of mage, one whose power works in the unusual way in that it interacts directly with technology. Or, these people could be the result of Deus's Arcology experiments.

I sure hope that Otaku end up needing at least a jack or something, the way a decker does. It'd be a real buzzkill if Otaku are magic
Sabosect
Umm, unless I'm wrong, hackers don't need jacks...
mintcar
If they are mages that can only effect thing with a matrix connection, that limit would be weighed up by the fact that they will also effectively be hackers. Might actually be a rather cool new concept after all.
mmu1
QUOTE (Sabosect)

No it doesn't. Considering how closely magic is tied to living things and Essence, a nice and easy melding of magic and tech makes no sense - ever. It's part of the fabric of the SR world. There's a reason, why cyberzombies (for example) are so incredibly fucked up.
Sabosect
Mmu1, that makes as much sense as saying that humans will never gain the skills to alter life before it's born. We've already got those. In the continued advancement of tech, biotech, and magic, eventually you will get a merger. They will start to incorporate ways to detect magic and astral beings into technology. Hell, you already see the merger in how magical and technological defenses are used in SR.
Req
QUOTE (blakkie)
Page 56

Umm, what?
Kagetenshi
And conversely "It has to happen sometime" makes about as much sense as saying "Rocks have to start talking to us sometime".

~J
Sabosect
Page 56 has the Rule of Six subheading. It's the TOC.
blakkie
QUOTE (Req)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 19 2005, 10:41 AM)
Page 56

Umm, what?
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And conversely "It has to happen sometime" makes about as much sense as saying "Rocks have to start talking to us sometime".

~J

You can't hear them?
mintcar
I dont think the developers agree with you when you say magic and tech are metaphysicly opposite in Shadowrun. That might have been the case at one time, but it isnīt anymore.

In recent fluff, dragons (Dunk and Celedyr) have been working to merge the two, just to mention one sign.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Umm, unless I'm wrong, hackers don't need jacks...

So somehow we lost all the cool DNI tech from SR3? Sure the jack might be wireless, but wy wouldn't you have DNI equipment?
JongWK
You can still go full DNI/VR, if needed.
Req
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Req @ Aug 19 2005, 03:13 PM)
Page 56

Umm, what?

Yeah, I got that. I just wondered what the Rule of Six has to do with my chagrin at the "the GM should just decide what happens, using his Magical Storytelling Powers" idea.
blakkie
QUOTE (Req)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 19 2005, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Req @ Aug 19 2005, 03:13 PM)
Page 56

Umm, what?

Yeah, I got that. I just wondered what the Rule of Six has to do with my chagrin at the "the GM should just decide what happens, using his Magical Storytelling Powers" idea.

Whether or not there is still a longshot possibility when Threshhold exceeds dice pool.

Although tisoz is in a much better position to fill us in precisely on what the section (and the Edge) section holds, Rule of Six in the past refered to a tendancy for them to explode. In times past there was officallish leaks about 6's not exploding except when Edge came into play.

We still don't know what they finally settled in that matter.
tisoz
If negative modifiers reduce the dice pool to 0 or less, Edge dice can be rolled and explode on a 6. A threshold of 4 is the highest listed as "extreme" difficulty.

Edge renews as GM sees fit, suggested every session.
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
If negative modifiers reduce the dice pool to 0 or less, an Edge dice can be rolled and explode on a 6. A threshold of 4 is the highest listed as "extreme" difficulty.

Edge renews as GM sees fit, suggested every session.

Is that the only time you can use Edge?
tisoz
No, they have uses similar to karma pool.

Add Edge up to all edge dice to a roll. All dice explode.

After a roll, may use edge dice to roll for added successes, only edge dice explode.

Spend a point of edge and re-roll all failures.

Just saw a footnote that the rule of 6 does not apply to the longshot test in previous post. They do not explode.

Spend a point and go first in an initiative pass. If multiple people spend edge they go according to initiative score.

Spend a point and gain 1 extra initiative pass for the combat turn.

Negate one glitch or critical glitch.

Invoke dead man's trigger rule (iirc involves acting after full condition monitor.)
warrior_allanon
you know blackie, tisoz, from what i've seen edge is taking the place of both karma pool and combat pool....rolled like combat pool and refreshed like karma pool

blakkie
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Aug 19 2005, 03:57 PM)
you know blackie, tisoz, from what i've seen edge is taking the place of both karma pool and combat pool....rolled like combat pool and refreshed like karma pool

Not really rolled like Combat Pool outside of being extra an die (dice?), but certainly not rolled like Karma Pool either. Being exploding dice in a non-exploding world it is going to have a flavour not seen before in SR.

Given that low refresh rate [suggested] the closest parallel in practice is going to be Karma Pool. But if the GM chose to really cranked up the refresh rate to produce a more 'cinematic' game it could definately start to feel like the old Combat Pool with more uses.
hobgoblin
hmm, sounds a lot like the new rules allow for more flexible playingstyles wink.gif

want to hong kong action or recreate the matrix? crank up the build points on start, maybe have people create two chars. one for in system, one for out of system (for matrix). then have edge refresh maybe at chars first action of a round or maybe just at start of round for all (depending, first one makes people think a bit and maybe keep 1 or two in reserve, the other will see them burned like butter over popcorn).

still, i must say that i like the looks of it so far nyahnyah.gif

allso, i take it that treshold will not be a factor in combat? as in, you dont need x hits to hit the target, 1 is enough.
Critias
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, sounds a lot like the new rules allow for more flexible playingstyles wink.gif

want to hong kong action or recreate the matrix? crank up the build points on start, maybe have people create two chars. one for in system, one for out of system (for matrix). then have edge refresh maybe at chars first action of a round or maybe just at start of round for all (depending, first one makes people think a bit and maybe keep 1 or two in reserve, the other will see them burned like butter over popcorn).

allso, i take it that treshold will not be a factor in combat? as in, you dont need x hits to hit the target, 1 is enough.

None of that is stuff you couldn't do before, with SR3. Tailoring BP for a game has been around ever since BP themselves have, and house-ruling how Karma Pool and Combat Pool refresh isn't exactly hard to do.
Nerbert
A glimmer of light in the midst of total darkness! Saints be praised!
tisoz
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
also, i take it that threshold will not be a factor in combat? as in, you dont need x hits to hit the target, 1 is enough.

Hits add to modified power. Ties may be declared a graze or go to attacker on GM call.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 19 2005, 05:06 PM)

None of that is stuff you couldn't do before, with SR3. Tailoring BP for a game has been around ever since BP themselves have, and house-ruling how Karma Pool and Combat Pool refresh isn't exactly hard to do.

true. but now you dont need the srcomp to get the BP rules, and the refresh is officialy in the GM's hands.

so while it was possible before, its obvious to all now nyahnyah.gif
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Aug 19 2005, 03:57 PM)

Not really rolled like Combat Pool outside of being extra an die (dice?), but certainly not rolled like Karma Pool either. Being exploding dice in a non-exploding world it is going to have a flavour not seen before in SR.

Given that low refresh rate [suggested] the closest parallel in practice is going to be Karma Pool. But if the GM chose to really cranked up the refresh rate to produce a more 'cinematic' game it could definately start to feel like the old Combat Pool with more uses.

I thought Karma pool refreshed every 24 hours game time, in SR3?
Kagetenshi
Nope, every GM's call.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 19 2005, 04:53 PM)
Nope, every GM's call.

~J

As a GM you didn't dare turn it up though. With how huge the Karma Pool would grow to, increasing the refresh rate only served to have the KP take over the dice mechanics quicker.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 19 2005, 04:53 PM)
Nope, every GM's call.

~J

As a GM you didn't dare turn it up though. With how huge the Karma Pool would grow to, increasing the refresh rate only served to have the KP take over the dice mechanics quicker.

Wow, my players coninced me it was every 24 hours, althought honestly they didn't abuse it, most 24 hours no one used it.

(Although once someone made an amazing gun shot at 11:59 PM)
hyzmarca
According to SR3, Karma pool should refresh at the begining of every scene. What constitutes a scene is left up to the gamemaster. 24 hours is givern as a possible example. It also states that it could be every few hours or every few days.
SR3 goes on to recomend refreshing karma at the begining of ever session and only once per session. It goes on to suggest that gamemasters should adjust the time frame based on situational needs. It also offers the possibility of only partial refreshment of pool or allowing some character's refresh their pools while others cannot.

Partial refreshment at certain plot events is great way to provide players with a break while keeping huge pools in check. You could rule that no one gets their full pool back untill the end of the campaign but dole out refreshments of 1, 2, or 3 karma points whenever the characters have a chance to rest or when one player contributes something special to the overall story.
Giant pools aren't as usefull when you can never refrest more than 3 points at a time.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
Wow, my players coninced me it was every 24 hours, althought honestly they didn't abuse it, most 24 hours no one used it.

(Although once someone made an amazing gun shot at 11:59 PM)

It's close enough. I generally refresh karma pool before six hours from the first use since the last refresh are out, though it can have been a week or more since the refresh itself.

~J
hyzmarca
I have to ask, real time or game time?
Kagetenshi
Game time.

~J
Ellery
I usually go based on scenes. If it feels like one scene, there's no refresh until the end of the scene, regardless of how long it takes IC or OOC. If they're using karma pool for something extended, then they don't get the karma back until they're done with it (that part counts as its own scene). This tends to keep rampant karma pool use down on enchanting and spell-learning and program-creation tests and so on, at least unless the runners are sure that they have plenty of downtime.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Go back and read Never Deal With a Dragon. In there, we have the merger of biotech and magic to create a doppelganger. This is also the same book where we first meet Morgan and get to read the events that caused her to become an AI. Keep in mind we're talking early 2050s when this is happening.

Another example are the cyberzombies, who themselves require a combination of technology and magical power to even exist.

Now, consider what a good 17 years of technological and magical advancements since that early creation of a doppelganger would allow them to do.

So, yeah, you should be hearing talking rocks right now.
Kagetenshi
Reread what cyberzombies do to the astral.

~J
Sabosect
I have no need to. There are plenty of other magical events that have done far worse. Like, say, a certain way Dunk handled someone assassinating him?

Basically, the one thing you have to keep in mind is that there is really nothing that states magic cannot be harmful to the astral plane. In fact, looking at cyberzombies and a few other canon items, it's pretty much a guarantee that magic can harm the astral. But it still doesn't change the fact a cyberzombie exists as a combination of magic and technology.
Zen Shooter01
In SR3, I refreshed the karma pool at the beginning of each session.

However, I considered the new session to start right after I awarded karma for the last session. So if after karma awards a player spent KP points learning a new spell or making availability checks, et al., those points were not available in the next adventure.

Edge sounds interesting. I like it as an attribute, so that individual players may choose to have a lot or a little of it.
Kagetenshi
No. A cyberzombie exists because magic traps a soul that should be leaving the body for parts unknown in a shell so replaced by metal that it should be dead, not because magic and technology are in any way combining.

I'll argue this with more coherence in the morning.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012