Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Player Actions and Consequences
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nezumi
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Ryu @ Sep 14 2005, 10:24 AM)
I can create scenarios where characters die because of player personality. No big art. That does not constitute railroading if said player has the choice of doing different.

What possible reason could a GM have for creating adventures that he knows will kill the PCs due to the player's style?

Err... Perhaps something like:

Player A loves to flip out and kill people. That's it. He doesn't like the 'shadow' or 'run' part of the game.

GM puts him in a situation where he can either escape quietly through the back door, or face 200 Lone Star officers with guns drawn through the front door.

Player A will automatically say 'boy, 200 officers? That's a LOT of people I'd get to kill.' The GM will respond, 'most likely, they will kill you very, very quickly'.

I daresay, this is a valid situation for the GM to create. The PC now has to decide, 'do I continue what has worked before, or do I try something new?'

I see no reason why challenging a player to try something new or different is 'railroading'. I for one don't enjoy 'RepetitiousBoredomRun'.

Now if Player A signed up solely because he likes killing things, there's a problem! The GM and player need to figure out the best answer to this together. But the problem is NOT railroading.

As I said in the example given, the situation had many, many possible solutions he did not take. If the GM choose to 'arrest' Dante solely because Dante didn't do what the GM wanted, THAT is railroading. I would assume, however, that the GM did so out of a misunderstanding of the interactions between DW and LS. Dante chose poorly, and no one any where forced him to do so.
Faenor
After all this conversation (which believe me, was NOT my intention), the player accepted that he screwed up. My main question was "did I overreact?" He and I have talked about it, and he realizes that it wasn't the smartest thing to do by far. I was curious to know what other people would have done in my situation; whether or not I had gone too far, not far enough, or just right. I also wanted to know what other people thought in the situation. There never was a question of railroading. He and I both realize that sometimes things just happen. And honestly, he's satisfied that he's racking up a huge lawyer fee and having some stuff confiscated (satisfied, not happy; big difference). I didn't mean for this to evolve/ de-evolve into people battling out on a forum.

Agree to disagree, whatever. I just wanted opinions if I'd over stepped the "crap on player for poor decision" and what, if anything, can be done to remedy it.
Kagetenshi
Well, that comes back to the question of "do you have a legitimate reason for DocWagon to have turned the character over"?

~J
Fox1
QUOTE (nezumi)
Player A loves to flip out and kill people. That's it. He doesn't like the 'shadow' or 'run' part of the game.

As you go on to note, railroading is not the proper course of action when dealing with such a player. Talking to him OOC and reaching an agreement to change his approach in game, or removing him from the game is.

Killing his characters only soils the campaign by making it "I, GM am master of all, and I will strike thee down with great hurtings, or at least many death characters".

Not impressive. Almost childish in fact. Like breaking the toy instead of finding a way to share it.

Mercer
QUOTE (Kesh)
Are you seriously saying the players/characters should never be forced to make a hard decision?

I don't think anyone is advocating not making pc's make hard decisions, or saying pc's shouldn't be put into situations where they are generally screwed or damned-if-they-do-or-don't. PC's excel at getting themselves into such situations, and my main job as a gm is to make sure they have ample access to all the rope they need to hang themselves.

The problem with railroading-- as I see it-- is when the GM has already decided what the pcs should do, and attempts to force that upon them at the exclusion of anything else. If the pc's are ambushed, they can fight, flee, surrender or whatever. The gm may have an outcome in mind, but when the dice are rolling anything is possible. PC's may shoot their way out of a capture, or may flub a combat they should easily win. It's only railroading if the gm alters the scenario or the rules to force the outcome he has already decided upon. Below are some examples that I have put in spoiler tags to preserve space.

[ Spoiler ]

(Edit) hyz: Thanx for quoting my mom. She'd be thrilled if she only understood gaming, computers, forums or why I thought that quote was funny in the first place.
Faenor
My reason for having DocWagon turn him in: They didn't.
They took him to a public hospital (the campaign is set 2053, so no Valkyrie system for triage) and a random die roll to see if a doc wagon or public hospital was closer. I honestly thought that they would take him to the closest hospital due to his massive wounds. (this tidbit of info was taken from Neo Anarchist's Guide to Real Life) He absolutely refused to part with the grenade launcher. So I had the hospital staff make a procedures roll at target 6 to see if they would notice that. And they also called the Star as he had a valid SIN and was brought in with multiple gunshot wounds.
in turn, he can blame the people who saved his life.
ShadowDragon8685
That would be a mistake on the part of DocWagon, then.

As has been said before, unless they like the idea of it being open season on ambulances and medics, they NEVER get one of their patients sent up the pipe.
nezumi
QUOTE (Fox1 @ Sep 14 2005, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 14 2005, 03:34 PM)
Player A loves to flip out and kill people.  That's it.  He doesn't like the 'shadow' or 'run' part of the game.

As you go on to note, railroading is not the proper course of action when dealing with such a player...

Killing his characters only soils the campaign by making it "I, GM am master of all, and I will strike thee down with great hurtings, or at least many death characters".

Not impressive. Almost childish in fact. Like breaking the toy instead of finding a way to share it.

I am greatly amused by the fact that I killed the PC in this scenario, despite saying, quite clearly, 'if YOU do this, you WILL die. Here is one other option. There are many, many others.'

After all, railroading is eliminating all options but one, isn't it? That is what I understood the definition to be. Hence, eliminating ONLY ONE (or only a few) options would not meet the definition of railroading. In the situation I gave, I did not specify there were no other options but leaving through the back door, only that shooting on 200 LS officers was a poor idea (eliminating that one option).

In the original question, I saw one option as bad; firing a grenade launcher in a private building and sticking around for any amount of time; coincidentally, the one route Dante chose. Had Dante tried something else and the GM said, unreasonably, 'that won't work', then it turns to railroading. Until then, it's only one bad option.

If you feel that my eliminating one option as bad (as the GM) is railroading, I would love to play in one of your games and say I want to drill through four feet of concrete by bashing my head against the wall, then complain if you say I can't do it because you're railroading me.

Some options are simply dumb. The GM informing the PC beforehand, or enforcing the natural consequences of choosing those options isn't railroading, it's simply good GMing.
Fox1
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 15 2005, 08:55 AM)

After all, railroading is eliminating all options but one, isn't it?  That is what I understood the definition to be.

Then you definition is far too limited.

Any adventure with intended option selection and certain punishment for not agreeing with those intended selections counts as railroading. The example given in this thread had three intended outcomes:

1. Surrender
2. Changing the player style
3. Requiring him to be save by his teammates.

When the player pulled a GL to avoid these intended results, his character was punished.

If those options where never an GM intended outcome, there would have been no railroading- only the pulling of a GL in an A Zone.

QUOTE (nezumi)

If you feel that my eliminating one option as bad (as the GM) is railroading, I would love to play in one of your games and say I want to drill through four feet of concrete by bashing my head against the wall, then complain if you say I can't do it because you're railroading me.

You'd never play again in my game if you even seriously suggested such a course. With such an different approach to the game, you wouldn't fit in with myself or the other players in the group. You'd be removed from that group and told never to return.

Oddly enough, your character wouldn't be killed in game.
Aku
sadly, contray to it's name, i dont think railroading is a one track definition, generally, i think that if theres one SUCCESSFUL means of accomplishing a goal, the GM is most likely treading atleast near a set of tracks, meanwhile, if there's multiple directions all leading to the same intermediate step, then it may also be close to railroading. less so if each of those steps have other intermediates as well.

for example, lets say the characters are getting to step c from point A. if options 1, 2, and 3 all lead directly to step B, than it could be problematic (you walk, ride or peddle to the next location, nothing happens along the way..)

but if theres obstacles to be oversome at each step, its not such a problem (one route proves to be easier because you detour around some osrt of accident on foot that you would've had to wait for id you drove)
Talia Invierno
Has no one here ever run their group through a published module?

@ Taran:

"Agreement" is certainly an option here, original tone notwithstanding. As is disagreement smile.gif
Fox1
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Sep 15 2005, 09:44 AM)

Of course.

However I yank the tracks off the module before doing so. Some have been almost unrecognizable as a result.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

@ Taran:

"Agreement" is certainly an option here, original tone notwithstanding. As is disagreement smile.gif

Beyond published: Do none of you get hired for specific tasks by persons created by the GM?

Success: You do what you're paid to, and get paid.
All paths lead to either that single successful resolution, or failure.

That, by the views I'm seeing, is railroading -- so.. which GMs actually have runs, and which just let players do whatever they want in game, without going through the Johnson, fixer and pay stuff?

In fact, the way it looks is that it's absolutely impossible to have any type of Run that is not entirely player driven without it being "Railroading" -- and nearly every twist is impossible to have occur without railroading.

Note: Yes, this may very well be a misinterpretation of what people are saying.. but that's the way it looks when I read what people are saying on the subject of railroading.
Fox1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Beyond published: Do none of you get hired for specific tasks by persons created by the GM?

As long as the players are free to turn down the task without fear of being punished by the GM, there is no railroading to such a event.

Dawnshadow
Unless you have a GM that will come up with random runs at the drop of a hat when the group doesn't play the one he's planned, the game is off. Everyone "loses". And I don't know about other people, but game cancelled because the GM does good, planned runs and one wasn't accepted.. Most people aren't nearly as good at improvising an entire Run/Game/Session as they are with notes and plans. And personally, I consider not gaming because there's no accepted run to be quite a punishment -- especially on the in character view, where I don't get to advance, don't get money, and probably lose another month of lifestyle.

Shadowrun is Very Much a game where you either Play or don't play -- and so is "railroading". Any actual Run you either accept, or don't accept -- and unless your group has a whole load of other stuff on the go, if you don't accept, your session is over.
Fox1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Sep 15 2005, 10:18 AM)
Unless you have a GM that will come up with random runs at the drop of a hat when the group doesn't play the one he's planned, the game is off. Everyone "loses".

If...

... the GM comes to the gaming table with an Johnson who offers an unacceptable mission to the players,

And

... doesn't have anything else to offer them that night,

And

...is also unwilling to follow whatever other course that the players themselves may be interested in,

Then

You have a GM that needs to railroad in order to play at all. If you like that, you like GMs who railroad.

Myself, I'd rather break out a deck of cards for the night than force my PC to do something he wouldn't. And everyone else who plays at my table agrees with me.
Dawnshadow
Ok.. I'm going to bite..

So you're saying GM A, who isn't good at improvising but typically does exceptionally good runs, comes up with a good stealth run that would normally be acceptable, but since the majority of the characters have had an atrocious last few days .. (Player B got dumped, C had her mother get hit by a corp car, D and E got mugged in the Stuffer Shack.. all random events that were rolled for from pregenerated tables of events.. F and G got away clean, had good weeks) and the players have all had bad days and so feel like killing rather than sneaking, and turn down a typically acceptable (or even exceptional) run, but the GM can't do another...

That the GM needs to railroad?

Also:

A run your character wouldn't touch normally, but the character doesn't even have money for rent, because it was sucked up on hospital bills? Hardly railroading, but it's very defined punishment for not taking the run. Something very intrinsic to the world, I would think.

Likewise: I had said nothing about a run that wasn't acceptable. I said a run that the players didn't accept. There is a difference. Players can not accept for a multitude of reasons, including bad days and other, unpredictable events. Saying a GM who can't do totally different runs at the drop of a hat to account for this must railroad is doing yourself and the GM a disservice.

If your group is happy with an overly broad definition of railroading, then that's fine. But that doesn't mean that the idea of railroading is that broad.
Fox1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
and the players have all had bad days and so feel like killing rather than sneaking, and turn down a typically acceptable (or even exceptional) run, but the GM can't do another...

I don't understand the example. It seems to be exactly what I suggested, the players turn down the run and the GM offers something on the fly more to their taste for the evening.

If the GM isn't willing to offer another adventure, I no doubt have things my character is interesting in doing on his own. If the GM isn't willing to do that, we can play cards.

Btw: pre-generated random events... we certainly have different styles. I doubt we're going to see eye to eye on much.

A run your character wouldn't touch normally, but the character doesn't even have money for rent, because it was sucked up on hospital bills?

My character has other options and he would explore them, up to and including lifestyle reduction if the mission was that objectable. That isn't punishment, that's playing my character.

If however the GM has gangers attack me, cops arrest me, or another such event occur with the intent (by that GM) to force me into the planned adventure, that is punishment and thus railroading.

I had said nothing about a run that wasn't acceptable. I said a run that the players didn't accept. There is a difference.  Players can not accept for a multitude of reasons, including bad days and other, unpredictable events.

Why would a GM force players to play in a game of his that they are not for whatever reasons interested in?

Indeed, he should be happy they pointed out their disagreement with the night's adventure so that it can be postponed until a better time or dropped in favor of a different option. Far better to do something else than have disgruntled players wreck your week.

If your group is happy with an overly broad definition of railroading, then that's fine. But that doesn't mean that the idea of railroading is that broad.

I'm using the common meaning of the term.
ShadowDragon8685
Generally, getting the rent isen't that hard, if you're not trying to support an ultra-lux habit or something.

Just steal a Ford Americar, and have the group troll negotiate the sale to a chop shop. Or, have the Face do it. Then repeat until everyone has the rent money. Then go looking for the good.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

I have. I give you three guesses what happens if the characters go off the track of the adventure, and the first two don't count.

~J
Dawnshadow
Fox1: I have said, repeatedly, that for these examples, the GM in question can't do runs on the fly. He or she is neither comfortable nor skilled at it.

What you said is that the run isn't acceptable, so they improv an entire run (which I'm discounting, that's vastly harder to do and not every GM is willing to do it), or do nothing.

I added pregenerated random events so that you couldn't use that to call foul. It's a relatively painless way of actually making things happen in the world. "attempted mugging " and so on. Very easy, very general. Nothing about success, just that some incident happened. The entire purpose of that line was actually to give the characters a reason to just want to kill something, so that it's nicely coherent. Otherwise "not wanting to force my character to do something he wouldn't do" becomes "character forcing me to play a game I don't want to".

Now.. as for the railroading: I really, really don't buy that the general usage of railroading is that any time the GM wants an event to occur and has bad consequences for some of the other alternatives is railroading. In fact, I think that definition is useless.

It's NOT railroading if you want someone to get over a violent streak, so eventually he's got his face plastered on every 'star trid, and winds up with "sneak out the back" or "shoot it down with a 'star FRT". It's TO BE EXPECTED. You CANNOT accuse a GM of railroading because a allowing a characters style is a direct conflict with the way the shadowrun world works, by canon.

You can politely ask people not to play that type of character, explain that it doesn't fit the world you are running, but unless you are going to say "Don't come back, I don't want to kill you as your character so richly deserves"...
Fox1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)

I have said, repeatedly, that for these examples, the GM in question can't do runs on the fly. He or she is neither comfortable nor skilled at it.

Such GMs do tend to railroad. They really have no choice, this doesn't mean they can't be fun- it just means on your their rails some of the time.

In any case, I'm afraid that by just about anyone's definition requiring the players to run an pre-planned adventure is railroading. Nothing more needs to be said on the subject.

Depending upon the individual group, this may be viewed as a good thing.

I added pregenerated random events so that you couldn't use that to call foul.

Couldn't care less about how you use pregenerated random events. Only noted it in passing as another example of how very different we are in approaching the game.

I really, really don't buy that the general usage of railroading is that any time the GM wants an event to occur

I broke your sentence right there on purpose. Nothing more needs be said.

"any time the GM wants an event to occur" = railroading.

GMs who don't railroad don't care what event occurs or does not occur.

It's NOT railroading if you want someone to get over a violent streak, so eventually he's got his face plastered on every 'star trid, and winds up with "sneak out the back" or "shoot it down with a 'star FRT". It's TO BE EXPECTED.

The "if you want" made it railroading.

You can politely ask people not to play that type of character, explain that it doesn't fit the world you are running, but unless you are going to say "Don't come back, I don't want to kill you as your character so richly deserves"...

If you're not willing to remove a player from the campaign, you have my sympathy. You have nothing a bad deal on hand and no way out that likely doesn't make things worse the longer they go on.

However you're still railroading.

Btw, why is this such a major point to you? I have my opinion, you have a different one. Isn't it time to let it drop?

Dawnshadow
I'm stubborn (unfortunately) and I hate letting things go. Haven't figured out a good way to let go of anything, because I despise walking away from any type of debate (save the stupid ones, which this doesn't qualify as -- neither one of us has resorted to silly argument forms, although all we're ever arguing about is the definition of a term).

And actually.. I'm not the GM for anything SRish (not confident in my ability to run the setting -- even if I do love it to death).

I think the major difference of opinion is actually philosophical with this one too.. I don't see intent as making a difference, because when I look at intent mattering, everything breaks down, because I don't see how a GM can NOT be railroading. At all. The GM either wants it to happen, or doesn't. Short of making everything random tables.

The instant there's any plot other than purely inter-PC, it touches the world, and so the GM has to influence it. If the GM's intentions matter for railroading, then that means the instant he does anything, he's railroading. He literally has no options that are not railroading, because they all boil down to either helping or hindering -- both are railroading. That doesn't make sense though, because the GM's job is to help create the story and to run the world, so to my mind, logic screams "intentions are irrelevent to railroading".

That leaves railroading as unreasonably restricting the choices of a PC (unlike 'no, you can't make a hole in your cell wall by banging your head against it'). That, I can't see any problems carrying to it's logical conclusion.. so appears to me to be the accurate answer.
Apathy
QUOTE (Fox1)
"any time the GM wants an event to occur" = railroading.

I don't really know if I agree with this statement or not. However, I do think that [for me] being completely apathetic about what happened in game would make the whole thing boring to me as a GM.

I once ran a scenario with a new group, and halfway through I found out that they were all acting like one-dimensional combat monsters... Never take prisoners, kill all witnesses, always charge in 'guns-ablazing'. I enforced what I thought were valid, realistic consequences: they took a hit on their rep as incapable of subtlety, and one of the relatives of a murdered guard hired a bounty hunter to 'bring them to justice', forcing them to lay low for a couple weeks. The other players thought I was punishing them, and it detracted from their enjoyment of the game. I didn't prevent them from slaughtering orphans, but if they did then unpleasent things tended to happen (like them showing up on UCAS's Most Wanted.) I think my real failing here wasn't railroading; instead it was that I didn't properly set their expectations before we started, or at least get a decent idea of what kind of world they wanted to play in.
Fox1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
I'm stubborn (unfortunately) and I hate letting things go. Haven't figured out a good way to let go of anything, because I despise walking away from any type of debate (save the stupid ones, which this doesn't qualify as -- neither one of us has resorted to silly argument forms, although all we're ever arguing about is the definition of a term).

Fair enough. However I bet we're boring people smile.gif

QUOTE (Dawnshadow)

I think the major difference of opinion is actually philosophical with this one too.. I don't see intent as making a difference, because when I look at intent mattering, everything breaks down, because I don't see how a GM can NOT be railroading. At all. The GM either wants it to happen, or doesn't.  Short of making everything random tables.

I agree this is the major difference between us on this point. It's a bit of oil and water thing as I see the GM as completely uninterested in what does or does not happen. He merely presents the world as it logical should be given the setting and genre, the players make their decisions, and the chips fall where they may.

The only time desires/wants matter under this viewpoint is in selection of setting, rules, genre, and desired player style.

Random tables under this viewpoint may be no better at avoiding railroading than a living GM. One can view such tables as nothing more than an unthinking mechanic method of railroading- they aren't responding to player decisions after all, they are just random.

Another way related break of rpg styles is between GM driven or PC driven worlds. Are the primary actors NPCs or are they the PCs?

Fox1
QUOTE (Apathy @ Sep 15 2005, 01:06 PM)
I think my real failing here wasn't railroading; instead it was that I didn't properly set their expectations before we started, or at least get a decent idea of what kind of world they wanted to play in.

I agree.

They were wanting to play one type of game (anti-heroes) and you were trying to play another (perhaps we'll call it shadowly heroes, I'm sure you could make a better name).

SR as a world itself could easily be played either way and still be canon.

So what happened was that your version of SR reacted as it would to people such as the players were running, with negative results seen as railroading by the players. In a real sense they *were correct*, their view of the world and the decisions based upon that view was being overturned by the GM.

The problem is that they were unaware or unwilling to be aware of your view of the SR world. If they had agreed to it up front, your actions couldn't be viewed as railroading- it was after all the conditions under which they agreed to play.

In a very real sense, the group decision on what the game should be like is a shared railroading. Works great, but things fall apart when people start lying tracking going in different directions.
fastdos
A good deal of what has been said here surprises me. To begin, I don't believe that railroading is a problem, at least not the way I do it. If you know your players well enough (IC: a fixer knows his clients very well) then you know what type of runs they are into. Give them what they want and there won't be a problem with them taking the job for the most part.

It also surprised me to hear that some GM's rip apart the written adventures instead of just running them as is and using the space between scenes to integrate the run into their own campaigns. It feels like a waste to buy an adventure you aren't going to use. Do you just incorporate the characters or the maps or what?

I think Shadowrun has to be an organic game. A run is only a small portion of what transpires. Most of my game sessions are planning, meeting contacts, and characters living their own lives, oh and of course trying to get paid... The actual run is a relatively short process when done correctly. If done wrong, players understand the consequences of their actions.

This brings me to the earlier point of a runner who wanted to geek 200 cops. You can't let that happen. Forget GM as God, this is an issue of Player as Stupid. If you don't let the player make the stupid choice then you are, in essence, railroading the player to do "whats best for them and the team." Oftentimes the player isn't going to make the proper choice and they should be allowed to do that. They should be allowed to fail gloriously. When the character faces off against 200 cops the character is saying "It's time for me to die." So I'll let what happens happen and not intervene. If the other players want to stop him (because women are rarely that dumb) then they can intervene.

You have to maintain a level of "realism" (for lack of a better word) in a campaign. Once you forgive nonsense then nonsense becomes the norm.
Fox1
QUOTE (fastdos)
Give them what they want and there won't be a problem with them taking the job for the most part.

This is of course the common method (or so I would think) and one that I use. If however I screwed up and the players decided against the job, they decided against the job and I'll have to come up with something else.

Not normally a problem for me.

QUOTE (fastdos)

It also surprised me to hear that some GM's rip apart the written adventures instead of just running them as is and using the space between scenes to integrate the run into their own campaigns. It feels like a waste to buy an adventure you aren't going to use. Do you just incorporate the characters or the maps or what?

I use the Maps and varying degress of elements of the characters and plots.

The as-published adventures are wonderful as springboards for me, but I have my own meta-plots that I've adjusted SR for. I also use HERO System for the main rules instead of the SR, so character stats aren't that useful. Sometimes the tone of the adventure doesn't match the tone I've selected for my campaign. Other times the difficultly level is too low. Other times I want something more complex.

All in all, I do major changes. Typically the more I do, the more the players like the result.

QUOTE (fastdos)

This brings me to the earlier point of a runner who wanted to geek 200 cops. You can't let that happen.

Sure you can. If that's the type of campaign you're wanting to run.

If it's not, the player doesn't belong in your campaign. The issue frankly shouldn't come up.

Kagetenshi
Putting down 200 cops is a perfectly workable life goal for a character.

As for that particular example, the GM has already thrown sense out the window by having 200 cops out front, so why not start killing them? More importantly, the GM has butchered, cooked, and eaten sense by having 200 cops out front and none out back. Frankly, the proper case in that circumstance is slapping the GM silly.

~J
Trax
That's because the front of the building has a Donut Shop.
Hoondatha
I find this discussion strange because, to my mind, the goal of a GM is to role play all of the NPC's (and from now on I'm just going to talk about the villians of the campaign) as intelligently as they actually are.

This is especially true of the megacorportations/dragons/IE's. They have so much power and information that, on the level of most players, they can pretty much do anything. If AZT gets angry enough at you, they can *literally* send an army after you.

In practice, this often leads to large, overarching, shadowy, and very often completely invisible to the PC's plots against them that are managed entirely by the GM. This, to me, is the hallmark of the Shadowrun game: you can't compete with the rulers of the world, no matter how long you play, or how good you are. At best you can stave off death for another day.

This is not to say that the PC's are entirely helpless or unable to learn. One of my group's favorite moments was when we discovered and shattered a long-running and not-yet-completed AZT plot to first discredit and then destroy us, because we had damaged them four years previous. One of the characters is a refugee from a ninja clan, and her relatives keep popping up at the most inopportune times. They've already killed one character.

In short, Shadowrun is a brutal world where the clocks ticking down to the characters' deaths are so ticking so loud, the *characters* can hear them.
Talia Invierno
I find this discussion strange because, to my mind, the goal of a GM is to role play all of the NPC's (and from now on I'm just going to talk about the villians of the campaign) as intelligently as they actually are.

No, apparently it isn't, at least not in strict canon games wink.gif

I'd been thinking about sparing Faenor and moving the railroading discussion to a different thread so as to make it clear this part of the discussion is distinct from the personal application, but it seems perfectly happy where it is. That being said, I'll add another question to the ongoing argument over definition: but that one I will move to a different thread.
nezumi
QUOTE (Fox1 @ Sep 15 2005, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 15 2005, 08:55 AM)

After all, railroading is eliminating all options but one, isn't it?  That is what I understood the definition to be.

Then you definition is far too limited.

QUOTE (RPG Cliche List)
Railroading. Any time the gamemaster will not allow players to deviate from the adventure's one set path or even make their own decisions.

If you use a different definition, you're certainly welcome to it. But please be kind enough to identify that ahead of time. This is care of the RPG Cliche List and was posted previously. Do you disagree with it?

Any adventure with intended option selection and certain punishment for not agreeing with those intended selections counts as railroading. The example given in this thread had three intended outcomes:

1. Surrender
2. Changing the player style
3. Requiring him to be save by his teammates.

I think the important question, as I stated earlier, is was the PC punished for deviating from the set options, or because he did something STUPID? As I said before, I was assuming the latter, the PC did something stupid (and the GM didn't understand how DW worked.)

IF I accept that the GM arrested the PC solely because the PC didn't choose one of those three options, then yes, I'd agree it was railroading (and you seem to agree with me on that later).

QUOTE (nezumi)

You'd never play again in my game if you even seriously suggested such a course. With such an different approach to the game, you wouldn't fit in with myself or the other players in the group. You'd be removed from that group and told never to return.

I would see THAT as railroading even worse than in game railroading!! If I try to do something unusual or different, not only am I punished in that my idea fails, but I'm not even given a chance to try something else!! At least in the original case, the player could roll up a new character and try to step more carefully in the future.

I have never, ever, once in my life suggested a player leave a game because of an in-character suggestion EVER. Maybe I've been lucky. But I would consider that one of the worst offenses a GM can make, because that sounds like railroading taken to the highest degree (you play my way, or you don't play at all).

Jrayjoker
Quick question: If I am running the game, and I have set it up so that a certain piece of information is held by only one NPC, but the characters need it, and I give them hints and clues during legwork to find that person, is it railroading?

No, you say? Well then it is all a matter of degree then isn't it?

Meh!
ShadowDragon8685
Nezumi, that's not railroading. Railroading can only occur in-game.

That's asshattery in the first degree.
Fox1
QUOTE (nezumi)

QUOTE (nezumi)

If you use a different definition, you're certainly welcome to it.  But please be kind enough to identify that ahead of time.  This is care of the RPG Cliche List and was posted previously.  Do you disagree with it?

It's a short definition that leaves out most of the real life meaning. Just like most complex things from any common dictionary. A real exploration of the subject would need a few thousand words. One doesn't disagree with it as much as one understands that it's incomplete and shallow.

As for giving my version up front, I don't have time to do the few thousand words that it would require, nor am I certain that there is truly any interest that I do so. Instead I would think those interested could gather my meaning by means of questions on those points they don't understand.

Your strong reaction for example certainly indicates that you're getting some of the major points already. You just don't like them.

I think the important question, as I stated earlier, is was the PC punished for deviating from the set options, or because he did something STUPID?

His actions would not have been judged stupid in many campaigns I have either played in or heard of. A James Bond like campaign for example may see the PC fire AV rockets from his car grill during a high speed chase out front of the main Lone Star office in hostile nation with no ill effects.

Stupid is in the individual eyes of the GM and what he sees as the campaign's genre, tone, and background setting. These factors vary from campaign to compagn and it's the GM's job to make them plain to the players up front. The players then *must* either agree or disagree with them.

When a player's vision of those factors differ from the GM, conflict arises. When the GM insists on punishing PCs for those conflicts of vision instead of dealing with it OOC, he's railroading- i.e. forcing in-game his view of how things should happen over that of the players who disagree with that viewpoint.

I would see THAT as railroading even worse than in game railroading!!  If I try to do something unusual or different, not only am I punished in that my idea fails, but I'm not even given a chance to try something else!!  At least in the original case, the player could roll up a new character and try to step more carefully in the future.

Such a event cannot be railroading because it happened outside the game. Railroading is a purely in-game event when GM and players disagree as to how certain events should play out.

By removing a player with a seriously different view of how the game should operate from the group, I've rid myself of a player unsuited to my campaign and very likely intensely disliked by my other players for disruptive to that game. After all they'd rather be playing instead of watching me play whack-a-mole in-game with the offending player.

Meanwhile that player is now able to go find another group more suited to his tastes. Such an action is to his gain as well.

If you never done this you are either very lucky or have not seen very many players of different styles.

Jrayjoker
QUOTE (nezumi)

QUOTE (nezumi)

That is disturbing to me. My players do a lot of dumb stuff, but we are there to have fun.

If a player is purposefully disruptive and does so by insisting on doing dumb things, then you have an OOC issue that needs to be dealt with, not an IC issue.
Jrayjoker
And that ain't railroading, that is communication.
Fox1
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Quick question: If I am running the game, and I have set it up so that a certain piece of information is held by only one NPC, but the characters need it, and I give them hints and clues during legwork to find that person, is it railroading?

If find the concept of important objective information the players must gain being held by only one NPC to slightly unbelievable in most cases. But I'm sure you can come up with examples.

Beyond that it would only be railroading if the GM insisted on a single way of gaining that information from said NPC. Such as requiring the cute female PC to seduce said NPC- a sadly too common type of raidroading that some people have had to deal with.

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fox1)

I think the important question, as I stated earlier, is was the PC punished for deviating from the set options, or because he did something STUPID?

His actions would not have been judged stupid in many campaigns I have either played in or heard of. A James Bond like campaign for example may see the PC fire AV rockets from his car grill during a high speed chase out front of the main Lone Star office in hostile nation with no ill effects.

Stupid is in the individual eyes of the GM and what he sees as the campaign's genre, tone, and background setting. These factors vary from campaign to compagn and it's the GM's job to make them plain to the players up front. The players then *must* either agree or disagree with them.

When a player's vision of those factors differ from the GM, conflict arises. When the GM insists on punishing PCs for those conflicts of vision instead of dealing with it OOC, he's railroading- i.e. forcing in-game his view of how things should happen over that of the players who disagree with that viewpoint.

Which is why all characters in any half-serious campaign should get the Common Sense edge automaticly and for free.
Fox1
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
That is disturbing to me. My players do a lot of dumb stuff, but we are there to have fun.

If a player is purposefully disruptive and does so by insisting on doing dumb things, then you have an OOC issue that needs to be dealt with, not an IC issue.

I took the example as someone being purposefully disruptive.

And yes it is an OOC conflict, that's why I removed said player from the campaign. Such an action is OOC by definition.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)

Depends.

Do you have a good reason for that person to be the only path to the information? If not, do you have another path to the information?

Do you avoid unrealistically severe consequences for failing/giving up on the job (total destruction of rep, death by thousand ninja, multiple crime rings plus UCAS government after team, every shaman in the group's totem abandoning them and leaving them mundane, etc.)?

If either one is false, you're railroading.

~J
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Sep 16 2005, 10:59 AM)

If find the concept of important objective information the players must gain being held by only one NPC to slightly unbelievable in most cases. But I'm sure you can come up with examples.

Beyond that it would only be railroading if the GM insisted on a single way of gaining that information from said NPC. Such as requiring the cute female PC to seduce said NPC- a sadly too common type of raidroading that some people have had to deal with.

Yeah, making them do it one way and only one way, sure that's railroading. And no fun IMO
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Sep 16 2005, 10:59 AM)

Depends.

Do you have a good reason for that person to be the only path to the information? If not, do you have another path to the information?

Do you avoid unrealistically severe consequences for failing/giving up on the job (total destruction of rep, death by thousand ninja, multiple crime rings plus UCAS government after team, every shaman in the group's totem abandoning them and leaving them mundane, etc.)?

If either one is false, you're railroading.

~J

Since Iam the GM in this what-if:

1. Yes, an immaculate reason.

2. No other paths to the info are needed, I have the perfect reason (see #1)

2.1 There are many paths to the knowledge that the person has the information, but no one else has the information itself (a highly reasonable scenario (see #1)).

3. Yes, only realistic, severe consequences in my world, thank you very much.

Kagetenshi
I should add to that that you need a good reason for this information to be vital.

That said, if those all stack up, you aren't railroading. The players can find the person, or they can arrange to flee the country with what portions of their resources they can keep in hand, or they can attempt to track down and kill their employer or whoever it is that will be enforcing the consequences in-game, or any of a number of options.

~J
nezumi
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (nezumi)

If you use a different definition, you're certainly welcome to it.  But please be kind enough to identify that ahead of time.  This is care of the RPG Cliche List and was posted previously.  Do you disagree with it?

It's a short definition that leaves out most of the real life meaning. Just like most complex things from any common dictionary. A real exploration of the subject would need a few thousand words. One doesn't disagree with it as much as one understands that it's incomplete and shallow.

That is a very useless response. We have definitions of words so we can use them and communicate. If you cannot explain what a word you're using means, either use a different word, or stop talking, because it's a waste of your time and mine. Seriously. I can't talk with you if we can't agree what we're talking about (and THAT is what I don't like).

If you're running a James Bond game, that's something to state when you start the game (or put the example online). Otherwise, we have to assume you're running a canon game in the canon universe, which means the police will respond in under 8 minutes to the illegal detonation of high explosives in a crowded A-level residential area (as described in the Lone Star sourcebook, and other canon materials). Since he didn't specify the campaign as non-canon and the player was experienced with SR, I think it's fair to assume he was simply stupid in this case.

When the GM insists on punishing PCs for those conflicts of vision instead of dealing with it OOC, he's railroading- i.e. forcing in-game his view of how things should happen over that of the players who disagree with that viewpoint.

So if I enforce the natural consequences of a PCs actions, that's railroading? Or is it only railroading when they're detrimental? As has been stated, it was a canon game and the player was experienced with the system. There's no reason to assume he didn't know he didn't understand the game world (although several people jumped in immediately saying the GM should have OOC informed the PC that his actions were unreasonable, which is certainly fair! But that's being a good GM, not railroading.)

If, in a game, I kick a Lone Star officer in the nuts, I should expect him to try and arrest me (and I should expect them to make extraordinary efforts to do it if I pull out my gun and start shooting). This is called 'natural consequences'. It's not railroading, it's the world reacting to my actions. Without it, we're just playing 'do whatever the PCs want.'

Such a event cannot be railroading because it happened outside the game. Railroading is a purely in-game event when GM and players disagree as to how certain events should play out.

By removing a player with a seriously different view of how the game should operate from the group, I've rid myself of a player unsuited to my campaign and very likely intensely disliked by my other players for disruptive to that game. After all they'd rather be playing instead of watching me play whack-a-mole in-game with the offending player.

I stand corrected, it would not be railroading. However, other definitions were suggested which may be more apt. You continue making deep assumptions (that he was disliked, or had a different game view) to justify a knee-jerk response (kicking out a PC for a suggested action without getting more information on the circumstances surrounding that suggestion).

I do think it interesting that you are suggesting the original problem was a disconnect between the PC and GM and should be resolved through OOC communication, but your response to a more unusual case isn't discussion, tolerance or any attempt at communication, but excommunication.

If you never done this you are either very lucky or have not seen very many players of different styles.

I'd like to think I am very lucky, however I've dealt with quite a diverse player base. Any unusual response, or any case where I suspect a PC may be expecting a response other than what he would naturally earn, I warn him in advance that things may not turn out as he wanted and try to determine what he expected. I then explain the root of the problem and determine if there's any other useful information he should know before continuing on. If we run into the problem after the fact, with new players I allow undos. The only PCs I've kicked out are ones who've simply stopped coming (since I do stuff mostly online, it's pretty common).

If, after explaining the likely result of a course of action and giving him at least one clear, OOC warning that an action he's choosing may be very, very dangerous, if he continues on that course, I play out the NPCs as well as I can and let the dice fall as they may (again, with a possible nudge for newbies, because I'm too much of a softie for my own good). I'll admit, how I play NPCs is necessariy subjective, but in any case where life is on the line, I try my darnedest to do things by the book to reduce any subjective bias.

I don't care if my PCs throw themselves off cliffs. If they enjoy it, go for it. If the group expects non-canon results, I get a majority vote and shift the campaign as appropriate. Until then, I continue to simply provide events, jobs and NPCs in the world and enforce the rules. If they paint themselves into a corner, well, I guess then I railroad nyahnyah.gif
Fox1
QUOTE (nezumi)

That is a very useless response.

I'm sorry if discussions of this type are not to your taste. Perhaps it would be better to drop our exchanges. I have no wish to upset you, and no wish to continue something that is pointless.

QUOTE (nezumi)

If you're running a James Bond game, that's something to state when you start the game (or put the example online). 

I've already stated this a number of times in the thread.

QUOTE (nezumi)

Since he didn't specify the campaign as non-canon and the player was experienced with SR, I think it's fair to assume he was simply stupid in this case.

I disagree. Any GM who feels the need to ask advice about their decision on a board such as this one is very likely the type of GM who makes his expectations unclear or likely completely unstated. No do I think one should decide who is stupid or not based upon a one-side presentation.

Nor is it as clear cut as you seem to think.

Some cases of canon material in fact even supports the player in this matter. SR canon is all over the place. Just note the number of posts here from people who express disagreement with the very idea that Doc Wagon would turn the PC over as evidence of this point. Even in a canon setting, it's apparent that different GMs would view this event in very different ways.

You seem to think that simple short sentences define all that needs to be defined. You wave the word 'canon' around like it is immediately understood and agreed by all parties as to what its exact meaning and effects are.

I assure you, this is not the case. I believe I have enough clues from our exchange as of now to know for a near certainly that you and I for example see canon as two very different styles.

QUOTE (nezumi)

So if I enforce the natural consequences of a PCs actions, that's railroading?

As I've said before, it's only railroading when the GM is selecting events and outcomes based upon his personal desires.

In this thread the desired outcome was to make the PC:

1. Surrender
2. Play in a style he didn't want to play in
3. Require the assistance of other players.

The GM selected events to achive these goals. When the PC refused to be railroaded into those goals, the GM selected an alternate punishing outcome- arrest by Lone Star. He did so in typical fashion, with selected elements from the rules as backing to give an impression of objective resolution where the whole matter was driven by his subjective goals.

None of the individual events were railroading. It was the intent (stated by the GM in question) behind those events that made it railroading.

QUOTE (nezumi)

Or is it only railroading when they're detrimental?

The intents and result of intents that drive railroading don't have to be detrimental, they are only more likely to noticed and objected to by the player when they are.

QUOTE (nezumi)

You continue making deep assumptions (that he was disliked, or had a different game view) to justify a knee-jerk response (kicking out a PC for a suggested action without getting more information on the circumstances surrounding that suggestion). 

I need make no assumptions. I was provided with the actions of a player and I was provided with the setting (i.e. my own personal campaign and playing group). Such an action in my campaign is irrational. I know how I and other players in that campaign react to people who insist on playing irrationally. From that, effect follows cause.

It is no assumption that such a player would have to have a very different game view from us, no one I'm aware of thinks one can dig holes through such walls with their heads in my game. This is in fact seems to be why the specific example was picked, because few even outside my game would agree that it was a reasonable thing to do.

Wait, there was one assumption in there. I assumed that this was their first game with my group. I made that assumption because none of my current players would ever even consider seriously making such a suggestion.

QUOTE (nezumi)

I do think it interesting that you are suggesting the original problem was a disconnect between the PC and GM and should be resolved through OOC communication, but your response to a more unusual case isn't discussion, tolerance or any attempt at communication, but excommunication.

I make very quick judgements about new players.

I used to be more forgiving, but over the years I've found that my first impressions (i.e. those at end of the first game) have always been correct. I no longer give additional chances as a result. If there is an indication that the style and expections of the new player would be disruptive to the group- they will not be asked to return.

If not disruptive, but not really suitable for our style- they will be warned that they likely won't fit in. But they may continue to come until they realize that themselves.

QUOTE (nezumi)

I don't care if my PCs throw themselves off cliffs.  If they enjoy it, go for it.

In over twenty five years of gaming, I have had, and currently have excellent players for my groups.

I will not have them sit on their hands at a game while I'm forced to take the time to resolve events for a disruptive player who insists on throwing himself off cliffs. There are far better and more constructive things to do with our gaming time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012