Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Player Actions and Consequences
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Faenor
To Hyzmarca: No need to apologize; i was not clear.

To Fistandantilus: Oh, that happened a long time ago. Fortunately, I've got it in a three ring binder with all my other splatbooks. If it's worth saying, say it with blunt force trauma!

To everyone: i appreciate the input. And I didn't mean for it to go on this long; I was just curious to know if I over reacted or not. And the general concensus is: Bone the player, but try not to take him out of play. Once again, it's appreciated. Now here's a question: How much does a lawyer cost in SR? I can't find any info anwhere in any books!
fistandantilus4.0
for the littlest things, start with a nuyen.gif 1,000 retainer. That's for things like basic custody, if it's an easy one. I would guess in the tens for a long term criminal defense lawyer of some caliber. If it's one that drags on, add in more tens. If you add more lawyers, add in more tens. Better hope he either 1) got paid well in the past. or 2) doesn't mind a court appointed attorney that probably got about 2 hours with him for prep between his other dozen cases, and a quick trip to doing a nickel (yay lingo! have him get used to that too!)

"when all else fails, apply brute force"
Clyde
Depends on the caliber of the lawyer and the cost of the relevant market. In a small town today you can expect to shell out anywhere from $150 to $190 an hour, plus various costs (filing fees mostly, but some firms charge for every staple). In a bigger city (like Seattle) anything from $200 to $500 an hour. Generally, the lawyer will want a lump sum of anything from $1,000 to $10,000 up front. A truly hefty criminal case can drag on for two or three years (during which time the accused may either be free on bail or stuck behind bars) and cost upwards of $100,000.

Another source of major expenses is the "expert witness." Experts are anyone whose training or experience allows them to explain evidence in a way helpful to the jury. There are expert psychiatrists, doctors, and engineers. There are experts who can look at skid marks from an auto crash and tell you how fast the different cars were going when they hit.

Check out:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...28/ai_112685749

for a description of a case where an individual used an illegal weapon in self defense.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Clyde)

Check out:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...28/ai_112685749

for a description of a case where an individual used an illegal weapon in self defense.

Actually, the weapon used in that case was perfectly legal. It was only a fully-automatic rifle.
Foreigner
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 11 2005, 02:41 PM)
Actually, the weapon used in that case was perfectly legal. It was only a fully-automatic rifle.

hyzmarca:

Indeed.

As I understand it, the Ruger AC-556K used in this case was a legally registered Class III weapon--that is, the fellow who used it to defend himself and his fiancee had the legal right to have it in his possession.

From what I understand of the National Firearms Act of 1934, such a weapon is perfectly legal to have in your possession, as long as you:

(a) upon taking possession of the weapon, register it with your local law-enforcement authorities; and

(b) register the weapon with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, and pay the required $200 transfer tax to the Federal Government.

However, it is important to remember that anyone who owns such a weapon must have the State and Federal licenses to possess it in his or her possession at all times whenever leaving their residence with said weapon.

EDIT (09/12/2005): Sorry. Evidently, I forgot that part. While a few people of my acquaintance own or possess Class III weapons (i.e, licensed dealers), I don't personally own any.

--Foreigner
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Faenor)
I really did not attempt to railroad the character.

I don't agree. You set up a situation designed to be responded to in one way.

It's an easy mistake to make, I still do it myself (though I'm trying to kill that habit), but call it what it is.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Foreigner @ Sep 11 2005, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 11 2005, 02:41 PM)

hyzmarca:

Indeed.

As I understand it, the Ruger AC-556K used in this case was a legally registered Class III weapon--that is, the fellow who used it to defend himself and his fiancee had the legal right to have it in his possession.

From what I understand of the National Firearms Act of 1934, such a weapon is perfectly legal to have in your possession, as long as you:

(a) upon taking possession of the weapon, register it with your local law-enforcement authorities; and

(b) register the weapon with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, and pay the required $200 transfer tax to the Federal Government.

However, it is important to remember that anyone who owns such a weapon must have the State and Federal licenses to possess it in his or her possession at all times whenever leaving their residence with said weapon.

--Foreigner

Not exactly, after paying the tax but before taking possession of the weapon, the owner must get permission from the ATF to accept the weapon. The ATF doesn't give this permission lightly. Their background checks are equivalent to 6-month-long colonoscopies. Also, you can't take teh weapon out of your state of residence without getting permission from the ATF. Crossing state lines with a Class III weapon is a crime. Also, some States ban Class III weapons outright.
ShadowDragon8685
From this escapade, I see two things you did wrong.

One: The DocWagon HTR team should have been conducting triage on the trip. Part of this triage should involve sedating the patient and 'losing' the evidence that could get him in trouble. He is, after all, a Super-Platinum member who can summon an HTR team on notice by smashing his armband. It's like paying for your own, personal, very well-armed military dust-off.

Two: DocWagon should not take it's patients to the first available hospital, they should always take them to a DocWagon facility. And if they had employed a Valkyrie booth, you could have had a DocWagon physician working on him during the trip.

The player, however, fragged up. Grenades in an A zone are a bad idea, although given the number of opponants, and the quality of the one opponant, I can see how he was convinced that the grenade launcher was his only option.

He fragged up WORSE when he refused to let DW pitch his evidence. Always, Always, Always pitch the evidence. You can always buy more grenade launchers.
Mercer
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Faenor @ Sep 11 2005, 12:01 AM)
I really did not attempt to railroad the character.

I don't agree. You set up a situation designed to be responded to in one way.

It's an easy mistake to make, I still do it myself (though I'm trying to kill that habit), but call it what it is.

~J

I don't know if I could call ambushing railroading. Granted, its a fine line, but I'd define railroading as designing an encounter with only one possible way to succeed (or one possible outcome). As my mom would put it, "Let me give you your option." An ambush is a direct encounter (the npcs jump out and attack, they don't jump out and open negotiations), but the pc is free to react to it however he wants. He can attack, escape and evade, throw down his guns or anything else.

Its only when a gm decides how he wants an encounter to tunr out and then skews everything that way that I'd call it railroading. The player chose to pull out his grenade launcher, and as long as the wounds he sustained were by the book and not a result of the gm cheating, then thats Tides of War.

I mean, if a pc breaks into a compound and a guard sees him and shoots at him, you can't call it railroading. Thats what the guard is supposed to do.
lorthazar
Actually this was railroading of the worst sort and the more he defends (or others defend him) the more he proves it. He was trying to force a character to surrender, when he already knew the character wouldn't and was carrying an MGL-12. Now he goes to the rest of you for approval becuase he is starting to feel guilty for what he did. Well let him feel guilty. He got exactly what he wanted when he set this up. A more rational GM would have had a single unarmed and harmless teenager deliver a HUD with the proper video file to get the player to stand down and follow. Then again he would get to tell the story of how his half ass handling of the situation really screwed the character over.
Sicarius
If the character's only available method of response is a grenade launcher, I'd say that's a poor character concept.

But he did say that the character had improved invsibility, and could have ducked out and made a run for it. So that's an option.

He could have surrendered, that's an option.

He could have opened fire with something that wasn't a grenade launcher (presuming he had something) that's an option.

I've gmed Shadowrun since 2nd Edition. I've NEVER railroaded a player, on purpose or otherwise. I find characters can come up with completely unprecedented responses to any event. But you couldn't GM if you didn't put characters in a situation where you EXPECT them to react a certain way, at least some times. (you expect characters to take a job when the Johnson offers it, for instance, course that doesn't always happen, see numerous threads to that effect)

I guess the grenade launcher was one of those responses you don't plan for... Probably not the wisest choice, according to the consensus here. The consensus also seemed to let him know (in a dastardly GM way) that it wasnt' wise, but let him live.

Lothazar did you have some personal connection to the story?
Fox1
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Actually this was railroading of the worst sort and the more he defends (or others defend him) the more he proves it.

I wouldn't call it railroading of the worse sort. The worst sort is much worse than this.

Judging from the GM's posts however I would agree that there is a style conflict between the player and the GM. They seem to be playing different games and the GM is seeking to force the player to meet his standards by means of encounter selection and outcome management.

IME that's a bad idea. I think it best to select one of two options- either agree up front on what the expectations of the game world are, or find another player/GM.

nezumi
How was this railroading? There was an obvious course of action (fight the gangers with the grenade launcher, a situation Dante created for himself). But unless the GM said 'you are in a room with no furniture or windows and all the walls and cieling are made of 12 feet of concrete', Dante had a ton of options he simply didn't consider.

He could have blown through the floor and escaped that way. He could have climbed out the window. He could have hidden in the apartment. He could have turned himself invisible, grabbed a kitchen knife, hidden in the corner and ambushed them. He could have called Lone Star himself and hidden his weapon. He could have...

How is it railroading because the GM let the player put himself in a dumb situation, then presented a challenge with only one 'obvious' solution? I enjoy regularly putting my players in situations with no obvious solutions at all.

If you want a roleplaying game where every challenge has multiple obvious solutions, read a 'choose your own adventure'.
Fox1
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 12 2005, 02:44 PM)
How was this railroading?

Because the GM stated the following himself:

my goal was to create a situation where he would have to surrender opposed to his "I never give up" mentality

And

it would create a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries

And

a chance for the othe characters to save him and bring about more of a group interaction

All these imply a goal of controlling and altering the player's decision making, be it for good or ill.

That's railroading.
mmu1
If there's one thing that bothers me in this whole scenario (overtones of railroading aside) it's the fact that he actually ended up nearly getting killed by a bunch of gangers who were handed SMGs and ski-masks, and told "go kill this guy".

Either whoever played this character doesn't know what he's doing, or these were some really durable and skilled gangers... Multiple grenades tend to do horrible, horrible things to anyone - how much cover is there in an apartment hallway?
Kagetenshi
Sooth. I would have expected the gangers to all go down in the first pass.

~J
Faenor
It doesn't help when the player rolls total garbage, and they bounce down the stairwell. His GREATEST shot was when he rolled two successes and a twelve on the deviation dice.
Kagetenshi
Any grenadelink?

Edit: no, otherwise he wouldn't be able to roll a twelve. Badly-designed character.

~J
Talia Invierno
@ Fox1:

A (qualified) yes to your first example. A firm NO to your second and third examples. (Any time a GM "create[s] a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries" or tries to bring about more group interaction is now to be termed "railroading"?)
Dawnshadow
Out of curiousity.. what do people think railroading is?

My view has always been that railroading is: creating the plot such that it can only go in one direction.

Most extreme example being "the players don't have to think, they just do what the GM tells them and roll whatever dice".

More moderate cases being: "You have to go to this location and do this. No, there's no reason whatsoever for your characters to do it, but that's what you have to do anyway."

I personally am not sure that anything counts as railroading if the PC in question can choose NOT to do it. Bad GMing, maybe (depending on situation) but railroading? No. It's something else to my mind.
Taran
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
(Any time a GM "create[s] a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries" or tries to bring about more group interaction is now to be termed "railroading"?)

I'd say yes. Any time the GM creates a situation where the PCs "have to" anything, he's railroading. Even if his intentions are pure, how could call forcing a player's choices for him anything but railroading?

Dawnshadow: I disagree with that definition. The players always have the ability to say "No, that's not what we're doing", and their characters perforce follow. Railroading is to me a crime of intent: if the GM is trying to force the characters to make a particular choice, he's guilty of railroading even if he screws it up and they have other options.
Westiex
They knock, whispering at the door that they're here to tell him to just chill out for the next day or so and his doctor friend will be returned unharmed (this was said by the opposing runner, or one of them anyways), and he tells his contact not to answer.

Where in that did it force Dante to do anything?

He doens't have to fight and from that wording he doesn't have to surrender. He just has to be chill and not do what he's doing (grabbing info on the target)
Talia Invierno
Apparently being (strongly) encouraged (by the fear of imminent death) to think outside the box is now to be generally discouraged, as GM railroading.
hyzmarca
Atually, the most railroadish GM decision in this case was having Doc Wagon hand him over. He pays them too much for that even if he is an idiot. There is one basic rule in business, the customer is always innocent.

Having his home raided is one thing. It can be justified far more easily. Having him wake up in custody can't be justified by anything unless DocWagon has gone non-profit and decided that having its paramedics ambushed and killed by vengfull Shadowrunners is a good thing.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Taran)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
(Any time a GM "create[s] a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries" or tries to bring about more group interaction is now to be termed "railroading"?)

I'd say yes. Any time the GM creates a situation where the PCs "have to" anything, he's railroading. Even if his intentions are pure, how could call forcing a player's choices for him anything but railroading?

Dawnshadow: I disagree with that definition. The players always have the ability to say "No, that's not what we're doing", and their characters perforce follow. Railroading is to me a crime of intent: if the GM is trying to force the characters to make a particular choice, he's guilty of railroading even if he screws it up and they have other options.

They have that option.

But not and progress in the game. Believe me, I've tried it before. You can only avoid absolute, utter railroading so long. If the GM doesn't allow anything you do to the plot to occur unless it's the very specific course of action he's set, then you either do nothing on the storyline or (worse case) game, as the GM doesn't allow any actual events or progress to happen.

Sorry if this is coming across as bitter.. I'm playing in a game (other than the quite enjoyable ultra-high powered shadowrun game) where we just spent a third the session arguing over whether or not we would do what the GM is saying we should. It's a sore spot.
Mercer
To my mind there's two types of railroading (or at least two): conscious and unconscious.

The first, conscious railroading, sucks. This is when the gm decides ahead of time how an encounter, scenario, plot or combat should turn out. I should point out that however the gm wants anything to turn out, it won't. The pc's never go that way, refusing to either surrender, take prisoners, turn over the MacGuffin or anything else. Players are contrary bastards, but then this is the joy of being a player (for me anyway). If I want strictly defined areas of play, I have video games (or I did until my dog ate my PS2). The beauty of table-top rp'ing is that there's no invisible wall keeping you out of some place. We are limited only by our imaginations (which is more of a limitation some days than others).

The second, unconscious railroading, sucks worse. It usually comes up when a gm is improv'ing an off the map encounter, but it can worm its way in to prepared things. This is when the gm doesn't realize that he thinks the situation has to turn out a certain way, but its the only ping pong ball bouncing around his options box. It usually occurs to him as something that seems perfectly obvious, and the game stalls until the players either read his mind or start grenading orphans in frustration. Everything the players do that the gm doesn't agree with he skews against them, usually without realizing it.

A third type of railroading occurs to me, and its the one I'm most guilty of. Its where I design an encounter or scenario with no clear way to succeed or survive and then put the pcs into and see what happens. I'll call this the Railroad-Track-to-Nowhere approach. (I don't advocate it, but some of the best gaming stories are the ones where the whole group meets a horrible end, like the dwarf who caught two 10-round bursts from twin HMG's and then was rammed by a crashing, out of control helicopter. Players don't like for their characters to die, but if its really, really interesting they can take a lot of pride in it.)
Taran
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Apparently being (strongly) encouraged (by the fear of imminent death) to think outside the box is now to be generally discouraged, as GM railroading.
Yes. I know that you didn't write that to be agreed with, but yes. For the philosophical reasons I've already outlined, and because forcing people to be creative is generally an exercise in futility. If you don't believe me, well, scroll up.

Dawnshadow: Perhaps it's time for a new group?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Sep 13 2005, 10:10 PM)
Sorry if this is coming across as  bitter.. I'm playing in a game (other than the quite enjoyable ultra-high powered shadowrun game) where we just spent a third the session arguing over whether or not we would do what the GM is saying we should. It's a sore spot.

At least that still sounds better than having one out of every ten rats be Munchkill Death Rats of Sudden and Inescapable* Doom.

*void when ingested by dragons
fistandantilus4.0
weredigo? where did he go anyways?
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Taran)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Yes. I know that you didn't write that to be agreed with, but yes. For the philosophical reasons I've already outlined, and because forcing people to be creative is generally an exercise in futility. If you don't believe me, well, scroll up.

Dawnshadow: Perhaps it's time for a new group?

Talia: I'd never call that railroading.

Taran: Being strongly encouraged by possibility of death by high velocity metal poisoning to think outside the box isn't railroading.

It's a challenge.

Otherwise, the only type of challenge is the D&D style "who hits the other more times with the axe +2". Shadowrun is more than that -- so more should be expected, and should include thinking, plotting and planning. Hence -- challenging the player to come up with alternatives beyond just shoot everything.

Who calls a silent extraction run railroading? You CAN'T shoot everything up. You have to think outside the box (especially gunbunnies).
Fox1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Talia: I'd never call that railroading.

Taran: Being strongly encouraged by possibility of death by high velocity metal poisoning to think outside the box isn't railroading.

It's a challenge.

Any time any GM inflicts an event on a PC with an eye towards changing their play style or forcing a decision, it is railroading.

The example given was a oblivious attempt to alter out of game behavior (i.e. how a player approaches and what he enjoys in a game) with in-game events. Not only is such an attempt normally self-defeating in the end, it's one of the worst offenses a GM can make IME.

Which is not to say btw that I approve of the player in question...

Kesh
QUOTE (Fox1)
Any time any GM inflicts an event on a PC with an eye towards changing their play style or forcing a decision, it is railroading.

Emphasis mine.

Are you seriously saying the players/characters should never be forced to make a hard decision? That dilemmas (save the hostage or save the money? Stick to the job or betray your employer? Risk dying to save the target or take the safe way out? etc.) should never even occur in-game?
Fox1
QUOTE (Kesh @ Sep 14 2005, 09:31 AM)
Emphasis mine.

Are you seriously saying the players/characters should never be forced to make a hard decision? That dilemmas (save the hostage or save the money? Stick to the job or betray your employer? Risk dying to save the target or take the safe way out? etc.) should never even occur in-game?

Players make decisions all the time.

However in this case the GM had specific goals as to what the exact decision was to be, i.e.:

1. Surrender.

2. Deal with a situation in a rpg they player did not wish to deal with (whatever that was, it wasn't defined)

3. Work/depend more with/on the group,

Points 2 & 3 should never be forced in-game, those are meta-game concepts and need to be dealt with on a player to player level. Using point one to force points 2 & 3 is railroading.

If however the GM has presented a possible job offer that would have required points 2 & 3, and not taken negative action against the player if he turned down that job- then it would not have been railroading.

As it is, the GM ambushed the PC with the intent of forcing the issue. There is no other word for it.

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kesh @ Sep 14 2005, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Fox1 @ Sep 14 2005, 09:47 AM)

Emphasis mine.

The problem comes when the GM is forcing the player to make a specific decision. To quote Mercer's mother "Let me give you your option." More specificly, the "surrender, or lose your character no matter how well you fight" scenario.

Ryu
I can create scenarios where characters die because of player personality. No big art. That does not constitute railroading if said player has the choice of doing different.

If he/she does not have that choice because he/she canīt percieve the obvious solution... and I know that beforehand... and do not warn them... thatīs bad.

If in a given situation the railroading is constituted by character restrictions (see "never surrenders"), and there would have been an acceptable solution for other characters, the player has to deal with it. I would stil not overdo that if the player does not appreciate the challenge of defining the characters way to cope.
Fox1
QUOTE (Ryu)
I can create scenarios where characters die because of player personality. No big art. That does not constitute railroading if said player has the choice of doing different.

What possible reason could a GM have for creating adventures that he knows will kill the PCs due to the player's style?

"Sorry buddy, but tonight's adventure requires your character to rape and kill the innocent teenage girl found at in apt C. If you don't do it, you're going to be waxed by the mob."

What type of GMing is that? What type of player would put up with it? How is "player does X or he loses his character" not railroading? Offering someone irrational options (from the PC PoV) does *not* remove the intent of adventure railroading.

If you don't want players of specific styles playing in your game, just don't invite them to the game. Arranging adventures specifically to kill them (without there consent) is for many people unacceptable.

Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Ryu)

If he/she does not have that choice because he/she canīt percieve the obvious solution... and I know that beforehand... and do not warn them... thatīs bad.

If in a given situation the railroading is constituted by character restrictions (see "never surrenders"), and there would have been an acceptable solution for other characters, the player has to deal with it. I would stil not overdo that if the player does not appreciate the challenge of defining the characters way to cope.

"Never surrender" does not mean "never retreat," does it? There are usually other options. Just because the player did not choose the "live to fight another day" option doesn't make it railroading.
Fox1
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
"Never surrender" does not mean "never retreat," does it? There are usually other options. Just because the player did not choose the "live to fight another day" option doesn't make it railroading.

The GM in this case stated up front his goals for the encounter, and the aftermath punished the player for avoiding those goals.

That's railroading.

Ryu
Fox: Feel free to read the whole post, not only part of it. In the part you quoted, do notice that creating scenarios does not involve putting them to use. In the part you did not read I differentiate between player and character railroading and suggest caution even in the later case.
Fox1
QUOTE (Ryu)
Fox: Feel free to read the whole post, not only part of it. In the part you quoted, do notice that creating scenarios does not involve putting them to use. In the part you did not read I differentiate between player and character railroading and suggest caution even in the later case.

I read the whole post. I just read it again.

I still I take exception to your claim that such actions aren't railroading. They are indeed so, and of a worst kind than the simple "You must bribe NPC X to get clue Y to solve mystery B" example.

Jrayjoker
Blah, blah, blah railroading blah, blah, blah....Can't we all just agree to disagree?
Fox1
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Blah, blah, blah railroading blah, blah, blah....Can't we all just agree to disagree?

Sure.

What's interesting from a practical point of view however is that this is actually a no lose exchange.

Those who think it is railroading will still think it, and will simply avoid GM's who disagree. Meanwhile GMs who think adventures like this are acceptable get to keep players who don't mind such a heavy hand steering them and will only lose those who would be unhappy in any case.

The only possible losers are those people unwilling to leave what they see as a bad game. IMO, no one should ever pick that choice. But I've dealt with those who have.

Kagetenshi
That assumes an infinite number of GMs and no outside relationships between GM and players.

~J
Fox1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That assumes an infinite number of GMs and no outside relationships between GM and players.

~J

I'm of the "bad gaming" is not better than "no gaming" school, so I don't have a requirement for infinite GMs. Nor do I think personal relationships should result in people becoming in effect rpg indentured servants.

But I understand there are those who hold a different view on the subject. I wish them luck.

ShadowDragon8685
It's not easy to tell your mates you're quitting their games. Or to get out of yours.
Fox1
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
It's not easy to tell your mates you're quitting their games. Or to get out of yours.

I can understand that. And I do honestly wish those who can't break with their mates the best of luck.

For my part I learned long ago that mates who specifically work to make me unhappy are mates I can do without*.

*This statement of course should not be used to justify walking out of a long term relationship over the passing rough spots life tosses into everyone’s path.

Apathy
Please forgive me if I'm repeating things everybody else has already said; I'm a lazy sob who didn't bother to read the whole thread.

Taken from the RPG Cliche List:
    Railroading. Any time the gamemaster will not allow players to deviate from the adventure's one set path or even make their own decisions. Campaigns with heavy railroading offer few draws over CRPGs or (for that matter) the multitudes of solo game books that proliferated during the 80's. See also T-Rex On The Plains.
    T-Rex On The Plains. A particularly irritating form of Railroading where the gamemaster uses huge, nasty monsters (or high-level adversaries) to scare players back onto the path. (So named for a peculiar incident in an AD&D game where the players went off task and took a shortcut through a field they had heard about. It was a featureless landscape, but a T-Rex appeared literally out of nowhere and chased the players back onto the main road. Needless to say, the game ended soon after.)
Being [at best] a so-so GM myself, it's not my place to judge whether what Faenor did was railroading or not - it depends on intangibles like
  • Was the GM's intent to force the player along a certain path?
  • Did the player have alternatives that didn't require him to compromise his ideals?
  • Were the players aware before-hand that in this GM's world recovery by Doc Wagon was equivalent to a prison sentence, or did they get blind-sided?
  • If the player had thought of an inventive way get away without doing what the GM had hoped for, would the GM have gone along, or penalized him/forced him back into the original plot scenario?
  • Did the player and the GM discuss the expected tone of the game before-hand, and did the player realize what the consequences of having so absolute a moral code?
[edit]I guess the bottom line is: If the players and the GM enjoy the gaming style and the world that the GM's created for them, then it's a good game. If people aren't having a good time, then somebody needs to think about changing the way they do things - regardless of whether it's railroading or not.
Taran
QUOTE (Kesh)
I'm not Fox1, but I am, I think, arguing the same point, so...

Thos situations, when they occur, should be the result of decisions by the NPCs, not the GM.

"But the GM controls the NPCs!"

Yes, and that's why railroading is, to me, a crime of intent. If the situation arises because of the NPCs' goals and desires (as determined by the GM), it's clean. If it arises because the GM wants to force the choice on his players, it's not.

Is that any clearer?
Apathy
QUOTE (Taran)
Yes, and that's why railroading is, to me, a crime of intent. If the situation arises because of the NPCs' goals and desires (as determined by the GM), it's clean. If it arises because the GM wants to force the choice on his players, it's not.

I agree with Taran, in theory. But ultimately, I'd suggest it doesn't matter. If the enjoyment is ruined for the player because it feels like railroading (even if it's not), then it's a problem.
Fox1
QUOTE (Apathy @ Sep 14 2005, 02:26 PM)
I agree with Taran, in theory. But ultimately, I'd suggest it doesn't matter. If the enjoyment is ruined for the player because it feels like railroading (even if it's not), then it's a problem.

One may say that the objective guilt is determined by the GM's intent, while the practical outcome is determined by player perception.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012