Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 vs 4 in Play
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Deadjester
Hmm if I remember on a non lazy day I will have to look it up, I have all the books put away since I went back to SR Gaming.
mfb
i wouldn't bother. Dieties & Demigods is the worst, most useless book WotC has ever put out.

anyway. back on topic: SR4 is the devils from space. discuss !!
nick012000
QUOTE (mfb)
not in 3rd ed. it was only in 2nd ed--and only really in Planescape--that gods became statless plot devices (they even changed the 'correct' term for them, calling them "powers" instead of "gods"). prior to and after that, gods themselves had stats and were killable. in 3rd ed, they're really, really killable. (see? it's not just SR4 i bash.)

Pheh. The canon stats for deities are less killable than the stats for Great Dragons.

This is largely due to the fact that if you're fighting a DnD deity, he'll automatically go first (Divine Initiative Salient Divine Ability), and automatically kill you, and all of your freinds (Life and Death Salient Divine Ability). About the only way to survive that is to be a deity yourself, and there's only one canon way to do that: the Dragon Ascendant PrC.
mfb
if the god has those abilities, yes. but it'd need to be rank 6 to have Life and Death, and gods only get a limited number of salient abilities. it's also worth pointing out that Life and Death can only be used once per minute; a party of epic adventurers will lose one member before annihilating the god.

higher-rank deities are pretty tough, granted, but those rank 0 jotunheim aren't much tough than any other 20HD mob. an ancient gold wyrm would make mincemeat of one, much less an epic party. and for killing one of them, you gain enough xp to gain a new level, automatically. i'd rather play SR4 than use the Deities and Demigods book in a campaign.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (mfb)
i'd rather play SR4 than use the Deities and Demigods book in a campaign.

Thanks mfb. Sometimes you just make my night.
mfb
heh. that really is intended as a (backhanded) compliment to the SR4 devs. i don't like SR4... but there are definitely worse products out there.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 11 2006, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm)
If you are going to have lords over them all stats for him anyways then just give him stats than no PC can ever legally have. He's just so good it is like he isn't human, or metahuman.

perhaps they'll end up doing that, in Unwired or something (though, judging by Synner's comments, i doubt they will). as it stands, however, Fastjack's abilities have basically been retconned.

As it stands in SR3 he gets retconned for every game every time the PCs earn another 10 karma. wink.gif Of course having an NPC that is the bleeding edge for 40 years is going to lead to retconning.

It seems very likely that Unwired is going to add some more top end, even just through depth. That is just what supplement books do. There isn't actually a RAW top end to the Response for a node, there is just a top end for Commlinks and for general unstatted devices. Having a kick ass, non-portable node to run from would give you an edge all by itself.

Dieties & Demigods is the worst, most useless book WotC has ever put out.

Bite your tongue! A friend of my has an original D & D, the one with the Cthulhu and Melnibonean mythos. He still brings it to every 3rd Edition game. Obviously the numbers for the stats don't make any sense anymore, maybe never did I don't recall. But it is like having a pocket version of Tobin's Spirit Guide to leaf through and pick out the god or goddess you are going to offer up the still beating heart of you enemies to. cyber.gif
mfb
wasn't WotC!

Unwired might help 'fix' Fastjack, who knows. i may pick it up, maybe not--i'd at least like to find out what kind of fluff they have for technomancers, even if i end up hating it (hey, what are the chances of that happening?).
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 12 2006, 07:22 AM)
wasn't WotC!

Oh, you are talking about the 3e one? I just took WotC as being mistakenly put in for TSR, but now I see that is where you got those stats and rules from that you were talking about. It didn't even stick in my head that they had switched back to the Dieties & Demigods name from Legends & Lore. I'm not sure if I've ever even picked up the book to leaf through it, I can just feel from a distance that I should walk past. It just doesn't give off that old-school nakkid titties and copyright violation vibe. wink.gif

Unwired might help 'fix' Fastjack, who knows.

You can't 'fix' Fastjack if you want him to always be better than you. Especially if you are going to insist that this must be based solely on a relatively narrow band of stats. Even if that band is wider than in SR3.

Besides because of the nebulious SR3 rules of Skill average +3 (and averaged in what way?) it isn't clear just how much of his noteriety is due to social abilities, and how much is from his r33+ h@x0r1/\/G. After all he is at least partially a social creature, collecting up all sorts of data from people. Not just haxxoring it all. EDIT That is barring any specific particulars stating otherwise given in the Target:Matrix, which I obviously can't confirm since I don't have the book.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Brahm)
Bite your tongue! A friend of my has an original D & D, the one with the Cthulhu and Melnibonean mythos.

Hastor! *oops* heee heee heee
Brahm
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 12 2006, 07:01 AM)
Bite your tongue!  A friend of my has an original D & D, the one with the Cthulhu and Melnibonean mythos.

Hastor! *oops* heee heee heee

The proper spelling is with a 'u', so Hastur, although there are a few other alternate spellings. Some people claim that you have to be careful how many times you say Hastur, but I don't believe it. proof.gif It is simply schoolgirl silliness to think that a single being could be so powerful as to hear each and every random utterance of a short little name like Hastu®§ª±ç%^6×Øæ <connection lost>
hobgoblin
i just want to make a comment that its only the middle-eastern idea of god where we see a god that cant be killed. ragnarok sounds familiar?

old gods could be killed. and therefor giving them killable stats are somewhat understandable, alltho it basicly shifts the game from a hack&slash fantasy into a god sim nyahnyah.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Brahm)
Besides because of the nebulious SR3 rules of Skill average +3 (and averaged in what way?) it isn't clear just how much of his noteriety is due to social abilities, and how much is from his r33+ h@x0r1/\/G.

yeah, i've never been a fan of using SR3's "better or worse than you by X" system for important NPCs. for one thing, it often clashes with the specific game information on the character:
QUOTE (Target: Matrix page 126)
There is nowhere [Fastjack] cannot go, and almost nothing he can't do inside the Matrix.
Halabis
I cant read. NM
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Target: Matrix page 126)
There is nowhere [Fastjack] cannot go, and almost nothing he can't do inside the Matrix.

Cherry node to work from, top shelf hacking skills, Etiquette(Matrix)/Negotiation, and a contact list that looks more like a public phone book should get you there. The contacts would be for letting you in the backdoor with a proper key instead of a prybar of the hard to get in places. He knows everyone and everyone knows him, and if they don't he supplements cream of the crop decking with social engineering (Con I guess).
Cain
However if the GM doesn't want flat PCs then they shouldn't be so generous with the Defaulting. I don't mean this as a special rule for Lucky, I mean this as applied generally.

Defaulting *is* the standard rule; you can generally default under most circumstances. There's nothing generous about it, you're just playing fair.

As far as "flat PC's" go-- any experienced gamer will tell you that it's the "balanced" characters that are usually the most bland and flat. Some of the best roleplay comes when you take an aspect of yourself, and take it to an extreme. If you, as a GM, are forcing players to take characters without these extremes, you're really cutting down on roleplay. I understand that some people prefer GM-Railroaded, cookie-cutter rollplay; but there's a lot of people who like to merge the numbers and concepts to create actual characters, instead of a page full of stats.

I'd rather take the most munchkinized combat monster than a well-rounded character any day, provided that the combat monster is coming in with an excellent character background and a player who's willing to roleplay. The most important rule is to have fun-- and roleplaying is what brings out the fun in a RPG.

Mr. Lucky can't even defend himself particularly well in hand-to-hand (only 2 Skill points + Reaction 6), and as written has somewhere between a light and a debilitating encumberance penalty (depending on how the GM totals that up) when he wears his armor.

Umm... you really should read that again. He has Unarmed Combat 2 (Martial Arts), which when combined with his Quickness of 7, totals to 11 dice. Not only have you gotten the numbers wrong (the reaction is off, as well), you've forgotten what the linked attribute is. Quickness is the linked stat for just about every combat skill, not Reaction. How did you miss that? No wonder why you think all stats are created equal; you must not be using the right ones at the right times.

And the encumberance penalty? That only applies when you're wearing more armor than Body x2. An armored jacket is 8/6, Mr. Lucky's Body is 4. 4 x 2 = 8, so no penalty. Math is a good thing. cool.gif
Curious, have his stat's ever been published? Full or partial? Or is he just given the Plot Device power? It never came up because I don't bother with that sort of power of game. I might have come across them at one time, but I would have just tossed it as useless info.

According to the skill chart on p 109, Fastjack has a level 7 Technical skill (presumably Cracking). However, without doing a serious amount of GM handwaving on his gear, he's going to be rapidly matched by well-made starting characters. (According to Target: Matrix, Fastjack builds his own equipment and programs his own gear. Given five years since the new matrix came into place, there's only so much anyone could have reasonably done. You could push it, allow him to have rating 15 everything, but that's definitely NPC special treatment.)
That is barring any specific particulars stating otherwise given in the Target:Matrix, which I obviously can't confirm since I don't have the book.
T:M makes it abundantly clear that it's all due to his skills. He goes toe-to-toe with several other world-class deckers in the book (Bash, for one, the security decker for the Denver Nexus) and comes out on top. The concept of a "new to the concrete jungle" shadowrunner even being in his general neighborhood is difficult to swallow.
nick012000
Umm...

Read the book. You use Agility + Melee skill to attack, and Reaction + Melee skill to defend.
Cain
My bad, I thought he was talking about attacking. His numbers are *still* wrong, though.
Brahm
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Mar 13 2006, 07:30 PM)
Umm...

Read the book. You use Agility + Melee skill to attack, and Reaction + Melee skill to defend.

Plus 1/2 * Impact 6 + Non-conductive 6 = 9 which is greater than 8. Emcumberance, so a penalty to Reaction. And that is the kind ruling. I suppose some GMs might let Mr. Lucky slide on that, but others might also work in the Chemical Protection 6 rating. I don't really see the need to pile on though, the jacket just becomes even more obviously someone looking for a fight instead of a fashion statement. But really, that isn't the character's biggest problem because he just needs to get some lighter armor or tone down the extra stuff on the jacket to rating 5.
Brahm
Synner
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 13 2006, 09:30 AM)
According to the skill chart on p 109, Fastjack has a level 7 Technical skill (presumably Cracking).  However, without doing a serious amount of GM handwaving on his gear, he's going to be rapidly matched by well-made starting characters. 

(According to Target: Matrix, Fastjack builds his own equipment and programs his own gear.  Given five years since the new matrix came into place, there's only so much anyone could have reasonably done.  You could push it, allow him to have rating 15 everything, but that's definitely NPC special treatment.)

Consider Fastjack with the following skill load out:

Cracking Group
Cybercombat 6
Electronic Warfare 6
Hacking 7

Electronics Group
Computer 6
Data Search 6
Hardware 6
Software 6

Plus software relevant in the Rating 7-8 range (bought, tweaked or designed from scratch). Amped up commlink with higher than chargen ratings in all stats (bought, tweaked or designed from scratch). Now figure in a huge list of contacts, add in a million-nuyen gear and computer/electronics shop... Now compare that to a starting character.
Brahm
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 14 2006, 04:40 AM)
Plus software relevant in the Rating 7-8 range (bought, tweaked or designed from scratch). Amped up commlink with higher than chargen ratings in all stats (bought, tweaked or designed from scratch). Now figure in a huge list of contacts, add in a million-nuyen gear and computer/electronics shop... Now compare that to a starting character.

You missed the Positive hacker centric Qualities. wink.gif With those and Attributes applicable to a VR decker maximized even the most focused 400 BP character needs a minimum of nearly 300 karma to reach that.

You expect Unwired to allow custom Commlinks by RAW above 6? I definately expect to see non-portable nodes, or even man-portable backpack nodes with that kind of Rating and higher. I just wasn't really expecting regular size commlinks Response to rise.
nick012000
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Mar 13 2006, 07:30 PM)
Umm...

Plus 1/2 * Impact 6 + Non-conductive 6 = 9 which is greater than 8. Emcumberance, so a penalty to Reaction. And that is the kind ruling. I suppose some GMs might let Mr. Lucky slide on that, but others might also work in the Chemical Protection 6 rating. I don't really see the need to pile on though, the jacket just becomes even more obviously someone looking for a fight instead of a fashion statement. But really, that isn't the character's biggest problem because he just needs to get some lighter armor or tone down the extra stuff on the jacket to rating 5.

I don't think those modifications count towards encumbrance, just the armor.
Brahm
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Mar 14 2006, 06:33 AM)
I don't think those modifications count towards encumbrance, just the armor.

The RAW isn't particularly clear on that. It is open to interpretation, and it certainly does make sense IMO from a visualization point of view. Especially if multiple types of protection start getting layered on.
mfb
if by "isn't particularly clear" you mean "doesn't mention anything of the sort, at all, anywhere", then you're right.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 14 2006, 09:23 AM)
if by "isn't particularly clear" you mean "doesn't mention anything of the sort, at all, anywhere", then you're right.

You finally bought SR4!

Or is that going off a several month old fuzzy memory of a partially completed document? frown.gif No, it doesn't explicitly say that you include non-conductivity in the calculations. Nor does it explicitly say not to. But it is close enough in spirit [EDIT]and letter[/EDIT], and certainly helps curb some of the silliness.
Cain
Consider Fastjack with the following skill load out:

Cracking Group
Cybercombat 6
Electronic Warfare 6
Hacking 7

Electronics Group
Computer 6
Data Search 6
Hardware 6
Software 6

You can reach similar dice availiable with a starting character and appropriate specializations. Still not as good, but too close for Fastjack to be a living legend. A starting otaku with a good Threading roll can easily close what little distance remains, making them virtually equal.

As far as the commlink and programs go, the problem is that the SR4 base book doesn't really support anything with a rating above 6. In order to have a program of 6 or better, you need a System of 6 or better, yes? And in order to have a System of 6 or better, you need a Response of 6 or better.

Problem is, in order to build a Response chip, you need to spend half of its value in parts. And the chart for prices only goes up to rating 6 (p 240). By canon, you can't build a Response chip that fast, which means you can't have an effective system (or any other program) that high. As a NPC, Fastjack is certainly entitled to a exception; but that's what I meant by GM handwaving. He'd only keep his Legendary status because the GM is using special-case rules.

No, it doesn't explicitly say that you include non-conductivity in the calculations. Nor does it explicitly say not to.

Gotcha. You're only applying it because you can't figure out any other way of dealing with a well-optimized character. Yup, no GM Railroad tactics for you! nyahnyah.gif
Neskeptic
Can anyone tell me what this thread has warped into?
Brahm
QUOTE (Neskeptic @ Mar 14 2006, 12:30 PM)

Mostly the Cain tries be a min-max weenie, and complains that SR4 lets him, but then whines when it is suggested that a GM would bring the game back in line using an alternate reasonable intepretation of the rules thread. wink.gif

EDIT You might have been better off just using the Search button and blowing out your brains that way. In any event don't bother read past maybe the second page of the thread. Welcome to Dumpshock!
Cain
QUOTE (Neskeptic)

Thread drift happens. Right now, two things are happening: Synner is trying to show the difference between a legendary character and a starting one; and the rest of Dumpshock is trying to help brahm become a better GM. He apparently doesn't know how to handle a powerful character without resorting to GM-Hammer tactics, screeches insults when faced with logic, makes up rules to apply on characters he doesn't like, has mistaken skill lists for character development, and seems to have a poor understanding of the difference between rollplay and roleplay.

Dumpshock has seen worse than him, so we've still got hope that he'll learn something. Of course, with his attitude towards Dumpshock in particular, I have to wonder why he's even staying. It can't be for the self-inflicted humiliation; and he boasts about how he knows the rules so well, in the face of all availiable evidence. If he doesn't think he needs us, why is he here?
Synner
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 14 2006, 05:23 PM)
<snip> Now compare that to a starting character.

You can reach similar dice availiable with a starting character and appropriate specializations. Still not as good, but too close for Fastjack to be a living legend.

Specializations go both ways. I could have used specializations on Fastjack's skills list above just like I could have used Hacker Qualities. I simply presented a non-tweaked baseline for comparison with a non-tweaked starting character. Whatever you put in your tricked out starting character, you can also give Fastjack (and more since as an NPC he isn't limited by chargen limitations).

A starting otaku with a good Threading roll can easily close what little distance remains, making them virtually equal.

Have you actually tried this? Threading is not all its chalked up to be if your GM is playing by the rules. What makes TMs powerful are sprites, but then again Fastjack didn't earn his rep against TMs (not that they're that common to begin with) so the case is mute.

As far as the commlink and programs go, the problem is that the SR4 base book doesn't really support anything with a rating above 6.  In order to have a program of 6 or better, you need a System of 6 or better, yes?  And in order to have a System of 6 or better, you need a Response of 6 or better.

I don't see a problem. SR3 didn't allow anything above Rating 6 in the BBB either, SR4 just didn't have the space for it anyway.

Problem is, in order to build a Response chip, you need to spend half of its value in parts.  And the chart for prices only goes up to rating 6 (p 240).  By canon, you can't build a Response chip that fast, which means you can't have an effective system (or any other program) that high.  As a NPC, Fastjack is certainly entitled to a exception; but that's what I meant by GM handwaving.  He'd only keep his Legendary status because the GM is using special-case rules.

All this means is that by the options available in the BBB only allow up to Rating 6. This doesn't mean Unwired won't expand on that - actually I can guarantee that it will.

All you're saying is you have problems with the growth and development limitations/options in the core book - a book tailored for people starting in on SR4. No problem with that. More options will be in available in the advanced rule books for those who want them.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
SR3 didn't allow anything above Rating 6 in the BBB either

In fact, it did.

QUOTE (Synner)
All this means is that by the options available in the BBB only allow up to Rating 6. This doesn't mean Unwired won't expand on that - actually I can guarantee that it will.

Given that the core book states there might exist ratings above 6 in R&D...
hobgoblin
at chargen SR3 did not, it only had them in there so people had something to use after chargen.

SR4 looks like it didnt have much room for stuff beyond chargen given how much it covers (initation, technomancers, new matrix and drone systems).

hell, even the paracritters are back (something i realy missed in the SR3 BBB).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
No, it doesn't explicitly say that you include non-conductivity in the calculations. Nor does it explicitly say not to. But it is close enough in spirit [EDIT]and letter[/EDIT], and certainly helps curb some of the silliness.

Only if you assume 'armor modification rating' = 'armor rating'.

And that certainly isn't in the spirit of anything.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
at chargen SR3 did not, it only had them in there so people had something to use after chargen.

Indeed.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
SR4 looks like it didnt have much room for stuff beyond chargen given how much it covers (initation, technomancers, new matrix and drone systems).

SR4 has many things beyond chargen, and even pointed out there may be better ratings.
That doesn't change the scale at all, which ranks a rating of 6 highest-end, and anything above that rare, potentially experimental stuff.
hobgoblin
your equaling the skill scale with device ratings? i dont see the logic in doing that...
Rotbart van Dainig
Oh, no - though, given the streamlined setup of SR4, for ratings ranking 1-6, that would be a good estimation.
Look, there's a table for Device Ratings on p. 214, which neatly describes the meaning of a given rating and shows examples. wink.gif
hobgoblin
damn, i should have known there was something like that in the book. looked in the index, nada. looked in the gear section, nada...

hang on, thats why that damned index was pointing towards both 213 and 214...

ok, im out of arguments. but i have a feel that synner is sitting on inside info about what will show up in unwired and similar, but cant talk because of a NDA or similar.

hmm, there is one missing element tho. SOTA rules. sure you can be the best right now, but if you want to stay the best you have to keep up with the SOTA...
Rotbart van Dainig
You mean info like p. 212 that general Matrix attributes range 1-6, though there may be higher ones somewhere out there?

Yeah, that's something I'd expect Unwired to elaborate on. wink.gif

PS: If there's really some sort of micromanagment SR4 certainly does not need, then it's SOTA and Stress with rules.
Brahm
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 14 2006, 02:24 PM)
your equaling the skill scale with device ratings? i dont see the logic in doing that...

Skills go up to 10, but you need the Aptitude to reach 7 and augmentation to reach 10. The core book does not have the augmentation unless you are cool with Adepts using Improved Ability while in VR. I don't really like that, especially when no such augmentation is available to mundanes, although admittedly that is partially a nostalgia thing on my part as RAW currently doesn't describe anything blocking it.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Brahm)
No, it doesn't explicitly say that you include non-conductivity in the calculations. Nor does it explicitly say not to. But it is close enough in spirit [EDIT]and letter[/EDIT], and certainly helps curb some of the silliness. 

Only if you assume 'armor modification rating' = 'armor rating'.

And that certainly isn't in the spirit of anything.

Is 'armor modification rating' text you made up, because I can't find that phrase in the PDF. Although those weird spacing characters can throw the Search off and I'm just missing it. Curiously enough the Helmets section does talk about modifying the rating of the armor they are worn with when calculating Encumbrance.

Anyway, where I'm getting this from, with my own formatting for emphasis:

QUOTE (149)
If a character is wearing more
than one piece of armor at a time,
only the highest value (for either
Ballistic or Impact) applies.

QUOTE (317)
Nonconductivity: Electrical insulation and grounding
materials protect the wearer against Electricity damage
(see p. 154), adding its full rating to the armor value.

Taken very literally Mr. Luck would be more appropriately named Mr. Immobile, which is why I referred to my interpretation as the kind one.
Cain
Threading is not all its chalked up to be if your GM is playing by the rules. What makes TMs powerful are sprites, but then again Fastjack didn't earn his rep against TMs (not that they're that common to begin with) so the case is mute.

The math is pretty straightforward. A good otaku can expect about 4 successes on a Threading roll, and can use a sprite to sustain it for him, causing no penalty; and the drain on a four-success roll isn't that heavy. That kicks a starting complex form from rating 6 to effective rating 10, which is higher than what you suggested Fastjack would have-- and would more than even the differences in skills.

I don't see a problem. SR3 didn't allow anything above Rating 6 in the BBB either

Incorrect. There are many items that go up to Rating 10, and MPCP chips went up to rating 12. However, that's a side point.

That *still* means that Fastjack gets special NPC treatment. I'll acknowledge that future rules might address this; but if a NPC is allowed to use rules as-yet-unwritten, that's GM handwaving. Certainly it sometimes makes for a better game, but that doesn't address the power balance issue at hand.

And even then, Fastjack is still recieving special treatment. Given the stats you've suggested, Fastjack would have a very impressive 21 dice on all software and hardware tests. That averages to 7 successes per roll, which is very good.

Let's assume that Fastjack would have everything at rating 10; not unreasonable, given the circumstances. However, he would first need to build a Response chip that powerful, he would have a Threshold of 20 (1 day); so he'd likely be done in 3 days. Easy enough. The Signal chip also goes just as fast; let's call it a week, assuming he takes a break for coffee.

However, he then needs to code his System. That also has a threshold of 20, but the interval is 6 months. So, it'll take him 1.5 years to write the code. Coding his Firewall up to that level only takes half as long, for an additional 9 months. We are now at two years, three months, plus a week.

Now we get into the actual programs. There are seven common-use programs, which Fastjack will be able to crank out in two months apiece. Then, we have fifteen hacking programs, which require three months apeice. (7 x 2) + (15 x 3) = 59 months, or just under five years.

When combined with the previous time, Fastjack would have needed over seven years, two months in order to get his gear to that level. Which is fine; except it's been less than five years since the new matrix came into being. Suddenly, it's not possible for him to have built his legendary gear in the time allotted. We can assume that he scored better than average, but that starts to get into GM handwaving again-- we're sparing him the randomness of a roll, without also penalizing him in some way (e.g., buying successes).

NPC's are entitled to carry gear that goes beyond the usual character starting limits; that's a GM's perogative. However, if the equipment is too good, then it's a case of NPC special treatment. Sometimes you need it to make your story run better; but if we need special treatment to make Fastjack legendary, then there's a problem.

Taken very literally Mr. Luck would be more appropriately named Mr. Immobile, which is why I refered to my interpretation as the kind one.

So, you're overliteralizing a rule because you're determined to find a way to hurt a character, and then bragging about how kind you are? Wow, that's both a Straw Man and a Prejudical Language fallacy all in one. You're also skirting with Argumentum ad ignorantiam, assuming that because the rules do not say so expressly, your opinion must be the true one. Since even one fallacy is enough to dismiss an argument, you've just taken yourself out of this discussion quite effectively.

There are a lot of GM's here who can help you learn to challenge your players without resorting to rules-lawyering and Orbital Cow Launches. It makes for better stories, and better gaming.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
Taken very literally Mr. Luck would be more appropriately named Mr. Immobile, which is why I refered to my interpretation as the kind one.

..for the exact moment he is taking electrical damage, if taking the rules literal, indeed.

Just, as one dodges before takeing damage, that doesn't mean a thing. grinbig.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 14 2006, 09:49 PM)

..for the exact moment he is taking electrical damage, if taking the rules literal, indeed.

Just, as one dodges before takeing damage, that doesn't mean a thing. grinbig.gif

Ya, the non-conductive armor protection isn't physically there until you get tasered. You wacky funster. rotfl.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
Wow...just...wow...

I bet when Fields of Fire came out, you started making people resist 2D damage (falling distance, deadly) every time they dove for cover.
Brahm
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 14 2006, 03:12 PM)
Wow...just...wow...

I bet when Fields of Fire came out, you started making people resist 2D damage (falling distance, deadly) every time they dove for cover.

No, absolutely not.

Those extra protections add extra bulk to the armor, notice the wording on some of those descriptions. They add extra layers. Expecting to max them out and not experience any problems if you have a lower Body is just silliness.

Notice that I didn't add up 6+6+6 = 18, or even 6+6=12 as would be suggestive of that text. Instead I calculated it in favour of the wearer of the armor based on the actual protection it gave (which is not what you normally do for layered armor).
Mr. Unpronounceable
But, you see, your ruling changes the armor mods from being occasionally useful for just about anyone, to being a complete screw-over for anyone but a troll.

i.e. there's no reason for anyone with a body of less than 8ish to get an armor mod in your game - they'd resist better by having the extra dodge dice.
hobgoblin
looks like all this debating boils down to how to read a set of numbers. and as the numbers represent abstract concepts rather then hard physics, we are more or less doomed to never agree...
Brahm
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 14 2006, 03:26 PM)
But, you see, your ruling changes the armor mods from being occasionally useful for just about anyone, to being a complete screw-over for anyone but a troll.

i.e. there's no reason for anyone with a body of less than 8ish to get an armor mod in your game - they'd resist better by having the extra dodge dice.

What? No. By my ruling as long as your effective armor versus any particular type of attack did not exceed 2xBody you are ok. So in the case of Mr. Lucky all he has to do is lower those 2 upgrades to 5. I was just pointing out that if you wanted to be a stickler GM you could do what you are suggesting, and I agree, would be a pain in the ass, and greatly reduce the utility of those upgrades to most modest uses. Not something I would want to do.

EDIT I would like to see having lots of different types of protection represented somehow though. But I don't really see how to do that by RAW without basically crippling the upgrades or limiting it to only one type of upgrade on a piece of armor. frown.gif So to do that in a gaming friendly manner would require house rules.
Rotbart van Dainig
So, by your ruling, impact armot looses bulk and thus encumbrance when facing elemental attacks, so the modifications can pop up as bulk? grinbig.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 14 2006, 03:39 PM)
So, by your ruling, impact armot looses bulk and thus encumbrance when facing elemental attacks, so the modifications can pop up as bulk?  grinbig.gif

Rationalization. You only use 1/2 the Impact to determine how it interacts with the upgrade layers in a encumbering way. The Impact armor is still there though, and it will encumber as per normal Impact armor if that rating exceeds 2xBody.

Such is the price to be paid for being nice. If only I wasn't such a damn softie at heart. wink.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Brahm)
EDIT I would like to see having lots of different types of protection represented somehow though. But I don't really see how to do that by RAW without basically crippling the upgrades or limiting it to only one type of upgrade on a piece of armor. frown.gif So to do that in a gaming friendly manner would require house rules.

In that case, I'd suggest dumping your previous ruling and going with something like: total armor mods cannot exceed that item's impact armor rating.

so an armored jacket (6 impact) could have 2 non-conductivity, 2 thermal dampening, and 2 insulation, or some other, interesting combination of mods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012